Welcome To Da Hood, Boyz

By Greg L | 29 March 2008 | Crime, Prince William County | 46 Comments

The thug culture that sadly seems to pervade the sport of basketball was on full display at Gar-Field Senior High School this week when a “disturbance” erupted in the parking lot following the “Hoop Fest” charity fundraiser and a seventeen year old student received multiple stab wounds in the back. Meanwhile, a different sort of thug culture was on display at Stonewall Jackson High School where an eighteen year old ninth-grader (huh?) by the name of Keith Diego Cano Anaya was arrested for inflicting head injuries on an unidentified fifteen year old ninth grader in an after-school altercation so severe that the victim required an airlift to Prince William Hospital.

Yeah, culture is a relative thing, and all cultures are equally valid, meriting their “celebration”.  Much more of this nonsense, and our celebrations of cultural diversity are going to increasingly be held at the graveside.

1. Arlington Minority said on 29 Mar 2008 at 12:41 pm:

Yes, blood is certainly on the hands of the likes of MWB and “Don Pepe” Tejada.

2. G Man said on 29 Mar 2008 at 12:57 pm:

The Hoops Fest incident is not unique. It seems to happen almost every year it is held. I was there last year and witnessed fights that erupted near the end because some thug supposedly “dissed” another’s girl. There was a strong police presence but that didn’t seem to matter. Needless to say I was pretty anxious when it came time to leave. MJM treats these annual brawls as a footnote because they sponsor the event. They don’t want to sully the Hoops Fest image even though it is a serious problem.

3. Dolph said on 29 Mar 2008 at 1:37 pm:

Maybe it is young people. I am not real happy with the redneck boy(s) who shot up cars on I 64 this week. The interstate was closed at least 6 hours, creating traffic jams and interferring with commuters getting to work. Additionally, homes were shot at.

I don’t like ‘my neck of the woods’ sullied in that way. It was pretty embarrassing to have that area of Virginia all over national news because of thugs.

4. Poor Richard said on 29 Mar 2008 at 2:58 pm:

The good old WaPo - ” Prince William County - home of
    thugs, bigots and two legged dogs.”

5. Krutis said on 29 Mar 2008 at 3:19 pm:

Thank goodness you’ve got Corey Stewart!

6. Bl said on 29 Mar 2008 at 4:17 pm:

Part of the Obama snow job where he portrayed Rev. Wright’s paranoid rants as coming from anger that is the baggage as the legacy of of old white racism, carried by old blacks. Well, there is current-day stuff that is alive and well, carried by the young blacks, that is a lot worse than the racism, sexism and homophobic intolerance of the older generation of blacks. It’s called Hip Hop, Gangsta and Street culture. It’s full of racism, paranoia, anger, violence, abuse of women, sexism and a whole lot of dysfunctional antisocial expression schemes. The social psychological disordered behavior that Rev. Wright’s hate-speech-as-sermons represents and coveys to blacks and supported by Obama is alive and well in the current-day generation in Black America. It’s just in a newer more dangerous carnation.

Blacks leaders should start speaking out about taking some personal responsibility for high rate of high school drop out, sexual promiscuity, children born out of wedlock, , absence of male parenting/role models, drugs, crime, incarceration, AIDS, instead of playing the victimhood game and blaming whites for black failures! Until that time there will always be hate mongers & race baiter,s to use them and profit from their plight like the Rev. Wright, Rev. Jessie Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton, Barack Obama as well as 10,s of thousands of White and Black Politicians. In fact the whole Democrat party! Hand outs, instead of a hand up, is the means of keeping Blacks down and economic Slaves! Keeping Blacks as an race of victims and believing all of the above is Whitey fault is designed to keep them from progressing instead of a race of achievers! It is in the best interest of Black preachers and Democrat politicians! Blacks will never be lead to the promise land by hate mongering Preachers like Rev. Wright or by bottom feeding Politicians like Obama that wants and works to keep Blacks in the Ghetto, on Welfare, and voting Democrat!

7. Billy Boy said on 29 Mar 2008 at 6:25 pm:

Why is this about culture and Obama and black people? Do we know that blacks were involved or are we assuming it because it was a basketball event? And they call people on this blog racists. I can’t imagine why!

8. Advocator said on 29 Mar 2008 at 6:40 pm:

Baxetball on de Souf side. It be what it be.

9. me said on 29 Mar 2008 at 7:32 pm:

I am a bit confused isn’t Stonewall Jackson High School less than 1.5 miles from Prince William Hospital. Why would you airlift that short of a distance?

10. Krutis said on 29 Mar 2008 at 8:15 pm:

Is a puzzlement!

11. manassascityresident said on 29 Mar 2008 at 8:21 pm:

me said on 29 Mar 2008 at 7:32 pm:

It happened at Garfield HS in Woodbridge.

12. G Man said on 29 Mar 2008 at 8:36 pm:

Billy Boy - You are so quick to condemn. Nobody said anything about those involved being black. There are a lot of kids today who are of the “gansta” mentality glorified by the rap and hip hop cultures who are not black.

13. Lafayette said on 29 Mar 2008 at 9:09 pm:

manassascityresident said on 29 Mar 2008 at 8:21 pm:
    Me is correct the incident that happened at SJHS was the airlift incident. I am glad to see you!
    The student at SJHS suffered a head injury. The article said airlifted to area/local hospital. That may have very well been Fairfax’s Trauma Center.

14. Patty said on 29 Mar 2008 at 10:09 pm:

Lafayette is right. They usually send severe trauma to Fairfax.

15. El Lobo said on 29 Mar 2008 at 10:23 pm:

Obama is the “messiah” of “hope, change, and a brighter future”. B. Hussein Obama will cure ALL of America’s ills. If Obama is elected president, all will be well in America. Everybody will be nice to each other. Obama’s speeches are so inspirational, full of substance. People faint even when he sneezes. Obama can change America and have the world like us. He has those devilish eyes that harken to his flock…..”follow me and I WILL lead you to the path of destruction”…….heh, heh, heh, ha,ha,ha.

16. PWConservative said on 29 Mar 2008 at 10:52 pm:

G-Man
    you are completely correct, I know of White’s who fit the gangster stereotype perfectly.

El Lobo

For some shocking quotes from Obama that you can use for ammo check out the second post down on my blog.

17. MP Resident said on 29 Mar 2008 at 10:53 pm:

The public school system is legally obligated to keep the (currently 18 years old) freshman in school until it’s August 1 and he’s 20 years old.

“Person of school age” means a person who will have reached his fifth birthday on or before September 30 of the school year and who has not reached twenty years of age on or before August 1 of the school year.”

However, the school system may, if he is an ESL student, provide him with services until he’s 22 years old:

“D. School boards may accept and provide programs for students for whom English is a second language who entered school in Virginia for the first time after reaching their twelfth birthday, and who have not reached 22 years of age on or before August 1 of the school year. No tuition shall be charged such students, if state funding is provided for such programs.”

18. manassascityresident said on 29 Mar 2008 at 11:19 pm:

Lafayette said on 29 Mar 2008 at 9:09 pm:

Sorry, I was mistaken and thought “me” was talking about the “hoops” stabbing. How are you doing Laf? Sorry I missed you at the last meeting. Hope to make the next one.

19. Dolph said on 30 Mar 2008 at 12:59 am:

Probably the dumbest thing the VA legislature did is require students to go to school until age 18. There is some sort of loophole because lots of them drop out before that age. Works for me. If they don’t want to be there and do what is required, then drop on out.

20. josh said on 30 Mar 2008 at 2:54 am:

dolph

cant agree with you more, let them leave school if they dont want to be there. less problems that way, you cant force educate someone at that age and they think they know it all anyway so i wouldnt have a problem with them hitting the street

j

21. me said on 30 Mar 2008 at 7:43 am:

Lafayette,

Thanks for the clarification. I had just read what Greg had written and was confused. Now that I clicked the link and read the article it makes more sense. Thanks :)

22. Lafayette said on 30 Mar 2008 at 10:05 am:

mcr,
    I am fine. I missed you too. I hope to see you in April. You are more than welcome to stop by if you over this way.
    me,
    You are welcome. Things must pretty bad if my write is making sense. ;)

23. Lafayette said on 30 Mar 2008 at 10:06 am:

corr: Things must pretty bad if my WRITING is making sense.
    Case and point. ;)

24. Mike Austin said on 30 Mar 2008 at 12:48 pm:

Let’s see if I have the right picture.

Little “Juan” enters Haydon ES at age twelve, in let’s say third grade.
    That puts him potentially in class with my daughter who is nine.

By the time he gets to Metz MS (7th grade), he has been held back once making him seventeen, in class with my daughter age twelve.

He enters OHS (10th grade) at age twenty, again in class with my sixteen year old daughter.

Yes he is graduated at age twenty-two, but with what kind of a future?
    It is no wonder these problems are beginning to show up.

I can not wait to see this weeks news.

25. Dolph said on 30 Mar 2008 at 1:44 pm:

Mike Austin,

I think that can’t really happen. There was some incident with an ‘older’ student at Garfield last fall I believe. I think most kids who are allowed to stay in school ‘past their time’ are sped students. I know they can start at age 3.

I remember going to school with 16 and 17 year olds when I was 10. They were white and dumb. Staunton, Virginia. Only place I know where that happened. It is a very bad practice. I can remember the teacher taking them out in the hall and busting their tails for some infractions. Not a job I would have liked, for sure.

26. Benton said on 30 Mar 2008 at 2:28 pm:

Mike Austen

I would think that a 22 year old with an HS Diploma has a better future than without one? I would also think that such an individual would be directed to a GED program by the time they were 18?

Why did he have to be named “Juan” instead of “Mike”?

27. Johnson said on 30 Mar 2008 at 3:24 pm:

Dolph-
    “Redneck boys”? What other racist terms do you use?

28. josh said on 30 Mar 2008 at 3:50 pm:

i sure would not want such a person in school with my kids. Having been held back one time is one thing but to be at 9th grade at the age of 18 is a bit much. That just does not sound right.

one of the many reasons my children do not attend public school in this area.

29. es_la_ley said on 30 Mar 2008 at 4:05 pm:

Johnson said on 30 Mar 2008 at 3:24 pm:

Dolph- “Redneck boys”? What other racist terms do you use?

I think that’s the popular phrase to use when referring to ‘rural whites gone bad’. A pity, really, since I are one (except for the ‘bad’ part). :-)

30. El Lobo said on 30 Mar 2008 at 5:04 pm:

PWConservative: I checked your blog regarding Obama. This guy is a tool of the devil. He is an angry racist and socialist who adroitly disguises his true self with faux personna that appeals to the ignorant and uninformed. His wife is the same. These two ungrateful malcontents have been brainwashed and indocterinated by their “beloved reverend” Wright in to hating America. Its a shame that so many people have fallen prey to the false and empty message of “hope and change” the lying Obama duo disseminates.

31. Mike Austin said on 30 Mar 2008 at 5:15 pm:

Okay, Benton, let us call him Mike.

I am just trying to understand what I have already read here.
    As I understand here, “Mike” can stay in public school until age 22 if he
    1-is an ESL student
    2-started here at or after age 12.

Before you try to criticize me for being racist or something dumb like that, please read the posts here and answer my question…….

Now, is the picture I painted possible, regardless of the students name?

(Ref: MP Resident’s post including links to VA state laws cited.)

32. ateacher said on 30 Mar 2008 at 5:19 pm:

Look all of you under NCLB and current qualifications yes there can be an 18 year old freshman and he can grad at the age of 22 years. However this applies only to immigrant students, and there ain’t a white or black boy born or raised in the US that can go thru HS past the age of 18 unless they are sped, or otherwise have a cause of action. Most rual whites and blacks who have “gone bad” dropped out and did so without violence. When I read in the paper about a an 18 yr old freshman, I just ask what gang does he belong to?

33. Mike Austin said on 30 Mar 2008 at 5:25 pm:

Thanks for that input.

34. ateacher said on 30 Mar 2008 at 5:41 pm:

Are you serious or sarcastic?

35. Mustang Marine wife said on 30 Mar 2008 at 6:04 pm:

So if only immigrants or special education students are able to be freshmen at age 18, does that mean Keith Diego Cano Ayana is most certainly an immigrant and/or in special ed? If he is an immigrant, is he a legal one? How about his parents?

36. ateacher said on 30 Mar 2008 at 7:22 pm:

The mean age of the majority of eigth graders is 14 years old. That age grouping means that the mean age of the majority of ninth graders is somewhere between 13 and 15 depending on where in the year their birthday falls. The average age of the majority of seniors in most HS in the country falls between 16 and 18. This stands in DOD schools as well. I myself graduated HS at the age of 17. A freshman who is is 18 yrs old or older is actually a freak of age. i do not know Keith Diego Cano Ayana should I? Why is he lacking in his education? Where has he been, where have his parents been? Is he sped? I don’t know. Is he legal? I don’t know that either. Do the Marine wives know? What say you Marine wife? Got something to prove as a part of the officers wives club? A little pet project you have going on? in the mean time I’m gonna give you “bu” as in bye bye. My time is better served dealing with a brother just done with his third tour of duty in Iraq via the army. OOOOOH HA

37. Mike Austin said on 30 Mar 2008 at 8:25 pm:

ateacher; I am not being sarcastic when I tell you I value your input.

38. Mike Austin said on 30 Mar 2008 at 8:30 pm:

ateacher: Also, thank your brother for his service. I was Army in the late 60’s, into 70’s for seven years.

39. Mustang Marine wife said on 31 Mar 2008 at 7:02 am:

Ateacher,

For as much as you rest on your brother’s laurels, you can’t even get the army saying right. It’s “Hoo ah”, not “OOOOOH HA”. I have no idea what your little tirade was for, I was simply asking a question (and not necessarily of you). I guess you just carry grudges against those who have shown you for what you are and proven you wrong. Usually those with the weakest arguments resort to personal attacks.

40. anon said on 31 Mar 2008 at 10:19 am:

The teachers at SJHS are saying that Keith Anaya is illegal and has been detained because of that, but the papers have said nothing about that.

41. Anonymous said on 1 Apr 2008 at 10:09 am:

Eighteen years old and in the 9th grade said a lot along with the name.

42. Anonymous said on 1 Apr 2008 at 10:19 am:

Dolph said on 30 Mar 2008 at 1:44 pm:
    Mike Austin,

Is that where the movie DELIVERANCE was made?

43. ateacher said on 1 Apr 2008 at 7:00 pm:

MMWife,
    I try real hard to not be bitter. I’ve spent most of my life in countries where I did not speak the language. In no way do I try to rest on my brothers laurels. He earned his place despite of me, though I have to be proud of what he overcame, and still deals with as a career soldier. That said…as you can determine I am a “career” teacher. I love my job, and am proud of what I do. However for the past two years I’ve spent over 10,000 dollars of my money to join a Masters teaching co-hort at GMU. This is what I’ve learned: I’m white, therefore I am privileged. Since I’m white anything that I think or say against anyone of another race makes me a racisist. Anyone who is of another skin color than white, who thinks down on whites is NOT racist but merely holds a bias. White teachers fail to understand and undermine the culture of their Hispanic students. White teachers suffer from their inability to understand other cultures. In the meantime the only culture I have to answer to is the culture of accountability and high stakes testing, spreadsheets, and a thing called data day. I take 5 year old children who speak little English into my classroom in Sept. and in June I turn out students who can speak, read, and write English. That is without any ESOL services. Then my daughter’s friend
    “a lived here since I was one years old”, speaks English as well as I, 17 year old Freshman( in Stonewall since age 14) walks in my house and brags that he has yet to pass Freshman PE (a requirement for Grad in VA), and boasts that he can take his time b/c as an ESOL student Stonewall has to keep him until he’s 22. Nothing against you, but after all the work I put in, I’m just darn bitter.

44. Mike Austin said on 1 Apr 2008 at 11:40 pm:

ateacher, that makes at least two of us (”just darn bitter”).
    It’s bad enough when “our own” kids do not perform because they think something is owed to them. But when a kid is in our country illegally and has the nerve to take the attitude you have noted, there is something very wrong with OUR system, that this be allowed.

45. Dolph said on 2 Apr 2008 at 11:59 am:

ateacher,

I hope you asked him why he would want to be such a loser and be in high school at 22. That sure isn’t the goal of most kids I have known. He also needs to get his facts straight….he can only stay in the program for 10 semesters. (unless requirements have changed very recently)

Sounds like this jackass needs to set some goals for himself. I guarantee you SJHS is going to find a way to move this loser toad on his merry way.

46. Snatchl said on 4 Apr 2008 at 5:14 pm:

I teach high school, and personally I fing the very idea of 22 year olds in HS to be completely absurd. Mentally Retarded and Handicapped kids are one thing, as they are mainstreamed to a point, but generally highly supervised. But 22 year old ESOL kids can buy booze legally. That makes them popular for 1 reason, and soon they are hanging out with the previous posters 16 year old daughter, getting her drunk and so on.

I’ve taught a number of kids who were ESOL, and when I learned how old they were, my jaw hit the floor. One brother and sister from Hong Kong were two of my top students, and no wonder. They were friggin’ adults!!!

I don’t begrudge ESOL 22 year olds getting a public education, but they should have a single center in each county for them. They shouldn’t be in regular high school classes with teenagers!!!