What Happens When A Citizen Tries To Get Day Labor Work?

By Greg L | 8 April 2008 | Arlington County, Illegal Aliens, Virginia Politics | 13 Comments

Why they get run off, of course, even if the day laborer center is taxpayer-funded.

This is an interesting little YouTube video where someone with a contractor’s license who wants to see if they can get some work is run off from a taxpayer-funded day laborer center in Arlington County. The rules for this day laborer center appear to be available only in Spanish, which makes you wonder just who is supposed to be able to benefit from this government program.

This is the third in a four-part video. You can see Part 1, Part 2, and Part 4 as well. They’re fascinating.

1. josh said on 8 Apr 2008 at 5:18 pm:

I saw these several months ago, they are facinating. Not sure if that day work center is still there, I though for some reason it got shut down but I could be mistaken.

she did mention they could “be aggressive” I’m wondering how aggressive now that they have little work in the county to do since the economy sucks. I think that and the resolution should keep many of them away at least for awhile.

2. Laurie M said on 8 Apr 2008 at 6:56 pm:

This series is fascinating. The hypocrisy is incredible — there is a will and $$ to fund programs to support and encourage illegal aliens, but no $$ or political will to do anything to support the native born and struggling African-American community. WETA is the first ones on the scene to spit out an illegal-alien friendly “sob story”, but don’t want their guests exposed to the harsh reality of illegal alien presence in VA? Gimme a break!

Kudos for putting together this tape. It’s about more honesty like this was injected into the debate.

3. CJC said on 8 Apr 2008 at 9:14 pm:

Greg,
    I think there is a problem with the link. All I see is a white square.

4. Illegal alien > US citizen said on 8 Apr 2008 at 9:51 pm:

I have to ask something, in all seriousness:

How do I become an illegal alien in the United States? Can I renounce my citizenship? Where do I go to do that?

My husband and I are blue collar folks, and we would make much more if we could be paid daily or weekly in cash, with no taxes.

We wouldn’t have to declare our income, and could get the foodstamps “for the kids.”

We are having trouble paying for insurance and health care, and it would be a big relief to get free health care.

We’d love for the kids to get free breakfast and lunches at school, and those free backpacks stuffed with supplies at back to school. No activity fees and free afterschool childcare would let me pick up a second cash-paid job. And my husband could go play soccer with his friends, while the school takes care of the younger kids.

Considering how the war is going, it seems like the draft is coming soon. If I make my teenage son an illegal too, he can avoid the draft. Then he can get reduced tuition and financial aid and attend the college of his choice.

So if you know how I could be come an illegal alien in the US, please, please tell me. Because it sucks to be giving away what we work so hard for so that illegal aliens can get it for free.

5. CJC said on 8 Apr 2008 at 9:55 pm:

Illegal alien > US citizen
    Bravo, well said!

6. MP Resident said on 8 Apr 2008 at 10:55 pm:

“Can I renounce my citizenship?”

My understanding on that is that if you continue to stay in the USA after renouncing your citizenship, it is considered as though you hadn’t renounced your citizenship.

Nice deal, isn’t it?

7. wine please said on 8 Apr 2008 at 11:40 pm:

I’m only getting a white square, too, and this viewed from both work and home computers, and on both IE and Firefox.

8. Greg L said on 8 Apr 2008 at 11:43 pm:

Sorry about the problem with the link. It’s fixed now.

9. Anonymous said on 9 Apr 2008 at 9:08 am:

Amazing this doesnt get a fair shake in the news.

Anyone who sees this, and watches what is covered on the news must at least suspect that the media has a bias and an agenda.

10. TDB said on 9 Apr 2008 at 10:32 am:

Send a FREE fax to Warner and Webb asking them to support the SAVE act.

11. TDB said on 9 Apr 2008 at 10:35 am:

Another FREE fax to send your Congressmen asking them to give local jails access to ICE databases allowing jails to determine legal status.

12. Jodi said on 9 Jun 2008 at 4:49 pm:

I’m too disenchanted to leave a comment … can I renounce my citizenship and be paid to be illegally here???