Tom Davis Gets A Bizarre Endorsement

By Greg L | 13 April 2008 | PWCRC, Humor & Satire | 29 Comments

Among the candidate endorsements at this weekend was perhaps the strangest candidate endorsement ever given. Congressman Tom Davis is apparently interested in being a delegate to the Republican National Convention, which comes as little surprise. Congressman Tom Davis wasn’t at the PWCRC Convention, which is also unremarkable, given that the FCRC Convention was being held at the same time, and Tom was almost certainly in Fairfax, making it necessary to enroll someone to speak on his behalf. There are loads of folks in the PWCRC who have had long experience with Tom Davis, and it probably wasn’t difficult at all for Davis to put together a long list of respected folks who might speak on his behalf. To have James Young do so however, was quite a surprise, to say the least.

James has somewhat of a checkered relationship with the good Congressman, as his website demonstrates.

Words fail me. For the first time since I’ve known [Tom Davis] (and worked hard for his election, especially the first one), I am ashamed of a public act of my Congressman.

One wonders whether many Conservatives who frequently criticize Davis, but hold their noses and vote for him anyway, will be able to do so again.

Bitterly Disappointing“, February, 2007

That hasn’t always been the case, nor is it consistently now. James was disappointed to see Tom walk away from his Congressional seat in the 11th District and has clearly stated that he has respected Tom Davis in the past. James seems to understand that in at least this case, a little bit of big-tent accommodation has been a pretty practical and sensible thing to do in this District, especially when that accommodation benefits someone so eager to share resources with and support other Republicans in Northern Virginia. There are legitimate reasons for saying good things about Tom Davis, just as there are legitimate reasons to criticize his record.

For James Young, that acceptance is pretty rare. This is a guy who loves to blast folks falling short of fully conservative ideals as RINOs, which he’s happily tagged on a number of Republicans in the Virginia Senate, Senator John Warner, former PWC Chairman Sean Connaughton, and the late Harry Parrish, often with good reason. He’s even referred to Supervisor Marty Nohe as “Connaughton pissboy Marty Nohe (RINO - Coles).” James is about as conservative as they come, and displays a special brand of ire for those who tolerate big government, fail to oppose tax hikes, or especially anyone who thinks there’s the slightest bit of difference between labor unions and outright socialism. On most public policy issues, James Young and I are in total agreement.

So imagine my shock and surprise, and mine wasn’t the only one with my jaw dropping here, when James Young gets up to sing the praises of how Tom Davis brings together “conservatives and moderate conservatives” and has been a tireless supporter of conservative causes. Appearing uncharacteristically uncomfortable as a speaker, Young droned on for some time to a pretty stunned audience about Tom Davis’ commitment to ideals that James Young supports and that Davis would make a fine representative to the national convention. I was unable to find any evidence of a remotely controlled explosive device strapped to his body, nor did my experienced eye spot a likely concealment position for a sniper ready to exact vengeance for a derogatory utterance. There are plenty of other potential explanations for this entirely out-of-character performance, but I haven’t yet found any evidence that would support one of those strange scenarios.

Don’t take this to mean that Tom Davis wouldn’t be a bad representative for Virginia. Tom has a lot to offer, and while I might not agree with every position he’s ever taken, he clearly has a valuable perspective to consider that’s backed by considerable experience and expertise. James Young didn’t seem to mention much of that however, instead characterizing his legislative record as nothing short of conservative nirvana. Just as I would never fathom Rush Limbaugh singing the praises of Arlen Specter’s voting record and encouraging a larger role for him in the Republican Party, having James Young laud Tom Davis in this way, and start using terms such as “moderate conservatives” is a hugely bizarre happening.

Yes, James Young is now officially a squish. For his next trick, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fund-raising for Maureen Caddigan and lauding her “moderate conservative” credentials. Someone better check on Mr. Young’s family pretty quick, and make sure they haven’t been held prisoner by RINO terrorists sporting “Whip Inflation Now!” buttons and armed with old videos of Gerald Ford giving speeches touting the merits of federal price controls, lest something terribly tragic happen result. This could get really ugly.

Part 2: Denny Daugherty Signs On With Lincoln Chafee

1. AWCheney said on 13 Apr 2008 at 5:15 pm:

I’m sure that Jimmy had some vested interest in making that endorsement, Greg…he has shown himself to be a boot-licker extraordinaire when it served his purposes.

2. NoVA Scout said on 13 Apr 2008 at 5:57 pm:

I don’t think this should in any way reflect negatively on Davis. His record of service is extensive and his generally rational approach to politics and governance cannot be degraded in the least by this kind of aberration. I would chalk it up to, as the song goes, “just one of those crazy things.”

3. Wdg. taxpayer said on 13 Apr 2008 at 6:36 pm:

I just about pucked when I heard Jimmy Boy talking inbehalf of Tom Davis.

Like AWC said there had to be some reason he did this as he never has gone for the moderate Davis.

4. Ron said on 13 Apr 2008 at 6:52 pm:

Neither Mr. nor Mrs. Tom spoke at the Fairfax County Republican Committee convention. I was there, and did not see them. Frank Wolf spoke at the FCRC convention.

5. Gnarly said on 13 Apr 2008 at 7:42 pm:

With Jimmy Young it never has anything to do with political philosophy or advancing the cause of the party, it is only all about trying to make himself somehow relevant within the party. His only means to accomplish that goal is finding silly ways to gain attention. This was just another one of those moments.

Most of the other moments are showing everyone what a horse’s rear end he is (see PWCRC Convention thread below…haha)

6. James Young said on 13 Apr 2008 at 8:29 pm:

Interesting post, Greg. Just about the kind of comments I’d expect from the [AWC] and other anonymous cowards. “Bootlicker”?!?! That’s just about the kind of comment I’d expect from someone whose only access the people like Congressman Davis is based upon a**kissing, as she has no other useful or discernable talents.

However, to characterize it as a “surprise” shows just how little understanding you have of some things. For instance, implying that I am not “respected.” For someone who has devoted so much of his time and server-space — through comments — to demonstrating a contrary proposition, you disprove by behavior your own implication rather handily. As for calling my relationship “checkered”: Congressman Davis would have been quite surprised if I had withheld my fire for that particular vote (discussed in the link), and told me so himself at his Christmas party late last year, at which I was greeted as warmly as ever, perhaps — I suppose — as anyone else. He expressed no hard feelings, and I’m certainly not going to vote against him at the 11th District Convention based upon that vote. Of course, the very post to which you link rather effectively disproves the OWW’s “bootlicker” charge.

As for your specific comments:

1. “This is a guy who loves to blast folks falling short of fully conservative ideals as RINOs” — Really? I can think of a very few, and can count them on … well, having checked the record, more than the fingers of one hand, but fewer than both hands. Unlike those who apparently bristle at the label, I don’t use it indiscriminately. Indeed, those who complain about it remind me of Democrats who complain about attacks on their patriotism: virtually all of the time, it’s the complaint of someone who has NOT been so accused, but probably has a sneakin’ suspicion that the accusation would have some merit.

2. “a number of Republicans in the Virginia Senate” as RINOs — well, two IS a number. In fact, it is THE number: John Chichester and Russ “Chamber” Potts. Anybody wanna disagree?

3. “that acceptance is pretty rare” — No, not really. It’s really too bad that you take the word of the likes of the [AWC] as Gospel, when quite the contrary is true. But I do have standards. I don’t think the GOP should tolerate sleazy campaign tactics in intra-party contests (see [AWC], above). I don’t think it should reward those who have violated in the past their pledge to support all of the parties nominees with a party leadership position (see my position on your participation in the Convention). I also have no problem with intraparty disagreement from those who eschew demonizing those with whom they disagree. That’s one reason why Warner, Chichester, Potts, Connaughton, and Specter (and that’s five of seven) have so been labeled, and Davis has not.

4. I really don’t recall characterizing his legislative record as a “conservative nirvana,” but as I was asked at virtually the last minute to get up and say a few words, I was speaking off the cuff, and really can’t say one way or the other. As is, it’s infinitely better than any of the alternatives.

As for why I was asked? I can only speculate, but I suspect that it is because of many of the facts I related at the post to which you link, because Congressman Davis respects me and considers me a friend, and for other reasons I will relate neither here nor anywhere else publicly, and the person who asked knows that (I have no idea whether he cleared it with Congressman Davis or not).

Which is probably what so gripes the [AWC] and the other cowardly lions. Particularly since they can’t seem to advance unless they are tearing someone else down.

[Ed note: comments edited]

7. Greg L said on 13 Apr 2008 at 8:40 pm:

James, I generally don’t fault you for identifying RINOs, especially in the vast majority of cases where you’ve done so. On matters of policy, as I’ve said, we’ve rarely disagreed.

Tom Davis was probably well served by having you as a spokesman, although I think a lot of us were more amused by this than convinced. The “conservatives and moderate conservatives” line really threw me, though. I thought I was watching a different James Young at times, and that’s based entirely on my own experience.

I hope everything is OK.

8. James Young said on 13 Apr 2008 at 9:12 pm:

Everthing is fine, Greg. Thanks for asking. Funny.

As for “a lot of us,” I presume that you are referring to those who (mainly) comment here anonymously. Unsurprising that this contingent “were more amused … than convinced.” These are obviously people of deep resentments and/or jealousies, and/or those who buy into the [AWC]’s disinformation campaign.

Perhaps you could explain why [AWC] gets edited, and “Jimmy” does not.

[Ed note: comment edited.]

9. AWCheney said on 13 Apr 2008 at 9:13 pm:

Love your comment Jimmy boy…it gave me the best laugh I’ve had all day! I particularly found “That’s just about the kind of comment I’d expect from someone whose only access the people like Congressman Davis is based upon a**kissing, as she has no other useful or discernable talents” absolutely hilarious! You do realize that “bootlicker” is a bit more publicly acceptable way of saying what you did, right? I guess I must have really rattled you if you couldn’t get more creative than that, particularly since EVERYONE around here and beyond knows that I’m about as opposite of that description as you can get. I hope whoever “the person who asked” you to proxy Davis realizes that he, no doubt, did Tom more harm than good at that convention. Yes, Jimmy, your attitude and that “mouth” (fingers on the keyboard) have made you your own worst enemy and sent you spiraling into that irrelevancy which you so richly deserve. I couldn’t be more pleased.

10. James Young said on 13 Apr 2008 at 9:26 pm:

Yes, [AWC]. I’m sure that the Supreme Court likewise considers me “irrelevant.” That is, after all, why they agreed to review my case, which I will argue in October.

Irrelevant, indeed. Your petty jealousies fairly drip from the page.

[Ed note: comment edited.]

11. Gnarly said on 13 Apr 2008 at 9:50 pm:

Jimmy Young says regarding AWCheney…. “as she has no other useful or discernable talents.”

Well how do you explain that every time you’ve tried to tangle with her politically she’s kicked your butt across the county?

12. James Young said on 13 Apr 2008 at 10:08 pm:

Why don’t you identify such an occasion, “Gnarly”? Sure, she gets wonderful support from anonymous cowards like you, here. But when HAVE I “tangle[d] with her politically”? Are you suggesting that her belittling name-calling here has anything at all to do with reality?

After all, Greg feels the need to protect her every time I point out her sleazy tactics on behalf of Harry Parrish, dishonestly claiming that the campaign (which she ran) had nothing to do with the criminal investigation of Steve Chapman, except to take the charges to the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office.

Which, of course, is “something” to do with it.

Yeah, you go with that.

13. AWCheney said on 13 Apr 2008 at 11:30 pm:

Actually, Gnarly, Jimmy Young has never really had the guts to tangle with me on anything head to head. I don’t recall him EVER actually leading a fight of any kind, only mouthing off about it. Now he’ll probably come back and say something about his tenure in the Young Republicans, yada, yada…but I don’t think he would want to go head to head with me in that area of my political history. I’d gladly meet him on the field of honor with political resumes at 20 paces.

14. Freedom said on 14 Apr 2008 at 6:55 am:

Hahahaha but AWC, don’t you have productive ways to spend your time?

Besides, jimmy is probably too busy trying to come up with legal cases to take to the Supreme Court…and probably the World Court too, for that matter!! :)

15. Anonymous said on 14 Apr 2008 at 10:47 am:

Tom Davis was NOT at the FCRC Convention. He was out of town that day.

16. opditch said on 14 Apr 2008 at 1:18 pm:

Shucks….. I’m in this one too late to make a funny. So lets be serious now. “James”, the supreme court lawyer, surely was talking for Tom BECAUSE TOM DAVIS IS RUNNING AGAINST O. P. DITCH for Delegate to the RNC National Convention. Can’t you guys/gals see the James’ rationale here?

funny ha ha.

17. CONVA said on 14 Apr 2008 at 1:57 pm:

JY once again has to resort to his “Supreme Court” appearance, similar to Kerry’s, “I ‘m Viet Nam vet” comment when all else fails.

18. Freedom said on 14 Apr 2008 at 2:01 pm:

Absolutely, OP….and of course, James doesn’t like you because of his mentor, Faisal Gill….

19. Freedom said on 14 Apr 2008 at 2:32 pm:

Although you don’t realize it jimmy, Greg is protecting YOU, not AWC…well, actually not. He’s not protecting you, he’s leaving you here as our “toy.”

I don’t think AWC needs protection. :)

20. James Young said on 14 Apr 2008 at 6:27 pm:

O.P., that was hilarious. I can honestly say that, when I was asked to speak on Tom’s behalf, I thought of you not at all. If you think I did, that would truly be hilarious. Tragic, but hilarious.

And as for your assertion, [AWC], you prove your continually diminishing mental capacity by confusing “guts” with “occasion.” FYI, I twice led the opposition to the meals tax. Just because you’re too old to remember it (as I recall, it happened on one of those occasions when you had absented yourself from GOP activities) or too embittered and demented to admit it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Of course, nothing that you don’t do is ever good enough, I’m sure you’ll belittle that, too. But at least I conducted my duties with integrity, unlike your actions as Harry’s last campaign manager. Unlike you, I don’t go out to harm people I dislike with the sole goal to destroy them. That you do merely demonstrates the applicability of the appellation: [redacted].

And there you go again, “CONVA,” illustrating the folly of defending one’s self in this forum, because for you poor, irrelevant, embittered souls — hiding their identities so the reader does not say “Who?” or possibly, “Oh yeah, him” — will always attack, no matter what. I retorted to the [AWC]’s ridiculous comment. Doubtless she wishes she were as relevant as I.

And “Fredo,” I was tempted to suggest that the [AWC] needs a lobotomy, but realizing that one would be redundant, withheld such an observation. On the issue of whether the [AWC] “need[s] protection,” one only wishes that her father had used some.

[Ed note: comment edited.]

21. G. Stone said on 14 Apr 2008 at 7:11 pm:

The re-hab of Tom Davis will not work. Davis is done. I like Mr Davis , he seems like a ice guy. However, the moment he bankrolled his wifes campaign joining her as a gun grabber, he sealed his fate with grass root conservatives who might have otherwise tolerated his fence sitting.
    Her spanking by voters was the beginning of the end for the Davis Brand.

This pair decided to import an independent liberal big city mayor to press gun control onto Virginia voters. Brilliant !!

22. NoVA Scout said on 14 Apr 2008 at 8:22 pm:

James: I didn’t read AWC’s comment to have anything at all to do with Supreme Court litigation. How did you make that leap? Are the Supremes going to come down from the bench and get involved in PWRC hijinks? I don’t think any of them live in the County. Besides, I think they try to keep a little above such partisan events as County Committee gatherings.

Colonel Ditch’s comment does add a little perspective to the whole sequence of events, at least for me.

23. The Louisville Slugger is by the Door said on 14 Apr 2008 at 8:51 pm:

James Young you are gutter trash….classless to the end. I would imagine you’d never need “protection” either since little’ole Willie probably can’t get past your fat rolls.

24. Rebecca B said on 14 Apr 2008 at 9:35 pm:

ok - that is WAY out of line. You guys are like children. You are all grounded. Go to your rooms and don’t come out until I tell you.

25. AWCheney said on 14 Apr 2008 at 10:41 pm:

“And as for your assertion, [AWC], you prove your continually diminishing mental capacity…”

You’re absolutely correct, Jimmy…you’d have been in some REAL trouble in a game of wordsmanship when I was in my prime. Your bubble would have been pushed COMPLETELY off the center (more so than you displayed in your last response on the previous “Convention” thread…WOW!), were that the case. I concur with Rebecca B that we should all go to our rooms now (I need the rest anyway)…you’re just not up to it and it’s unfair to shoot down an unarmed man.

26. Bryanna said on 15 Apr 2008 at 8:04 pm:

Remember what we learned at the Mass Meeting last Saturday, we must support ALL Republicans.

I want to commend Jimmy for setting aside his differences with Congressman Davis, and doing the right thing for Tom and our party. It’s time to get back to the “Big Tent” and this is how it begins.

27. James Young said on 15 Apr 2008 at 10:54 pm:

Gee, “Airy,” I’m flattered. I appreciate your begrudging comment. Might even have thought you meant it, had you not accompanied it by belittlement.

As for you, “NoVA Scout,” I seem to recall you challenging my credentials in that regard once or twice. Thank you for illustrating that you conceal your identity for good reason. Of course, you misrepresent my comment to join in the fun of attempting to belittle people who actually make a difference without sleazy tactics, and without having to hide their identity and their genuine irrelevance.

It’s truly bizarre that someone as sensible as Greg on most issues provides a forum for the likes of you.

28. Freedom said on 16 Apr 2008 at 7:17 am:

Well jimmy, why don’t you create a blogsite of your own??

29. AWCheney said on 16 Apr 2008 at 2:26 pm:

What’s truly bizarre, Jimmy, is how you can turn one of those rare instances where a compliment is directed to you into an insult…and become quite insulting in return. You REALLY don’t have any social skills, do you. You might consider apologizing to Ari Stotle.

Views: 1922