Springtime In Frank Principi’s Woodbridge

By Greg L | 25 April 2008 | Prince William County | 121 Comments

UPDATE: The person who provided these photos asked me to remove them because he is fearful for the safety of himself and his family.

Ah, it’s springtime in Frank Principi’s district in Woodbridge, the flowers are in bloom, the smell of freshly cut grass fills the air, and the sounds of chickens echo in the street. Let’s take a look…

Huh? Chickens? You bet. Here’s some spotted today.

[photo redacted]

Yes, chicken farming in Woodbridge’s residential areas is a popular way to help deal with the lack of available jobs in the construction industry and a slowdown in day labor work.

[photo redacted]

With a nice flock of yummy chickens, your dinner is never more than a few feet away.

[photo redacted]

No need to do to the store, just kill ‘em, clean ‘em, pluck ‘em, and put them in your handy backyard kitchen. Just make sure you don’t burn down the chicken coop when doing so.

[photo redacted]

It’s a lot easier than driving to the store and paying two bucks a pound or more for chickens, especially when gas is so expensive and your tags are dead, which makes driving potentially hazardous with that pesky Rule of Law Resolution in force.

[photo redacted]

This is the cultural phenomenon that Frank Principi seems to be interested in protecting with his desire to gut the Rule of Law Resolution. Driving with dead tags like this is a non-arrestable offense, and Frank’s brilliant idea here is to protect someone from having their immigration status questioned if a police officer happens to notice a vehicle like this driving around with temporary tags that expired more than five months ago. Yeah, Frank, let’s just give illegal aliens who break even more of our laws a pass here.

And as far as the residential chicken farming goes, I understand that Neighborhood Services had been contacted about this and did absolutely nothing. Keep up the good work, Frank. I’m sure your constituents are really pleased with you.

Frank J. Principi
Dr. A.J. Ferlazzo Building
15941 Donald Curtis Drive, Suite 140
Woodbridge, VA 22191
Phone: 703-792-4646
Fax: 703-792-4993
Aide: 703-792-4647
fprincipi@pwcgov.org

UPDATE: Snapped shot has some interesting commentary on the threats made against me on this thread.

1. Advocator said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:11 pm:

We need more pictures of Woodbridge to pass out during Citizens’ Time on Tuesday. Get out there this weekend and get your most representative pictures of Frank Principi’s precincts and send them in, folks. Let’s see if the rest of the Board wants the rest of the County to look like this barrio.

2. mnd said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:20 pm:

Actually, I’d kinda like to raise 3 or 4 egg laying hens in a “chicken tractor” to offset rising food costs.

I wonder how much trouble a variance would be to acquire.

3. Advocator said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:29 pm:

Vehicles like the one above should be reported on line to the Citizen Tax Evader Reporting System at https://www.pwcgov.org/eservices/taxevader/

4. Fed_Up! said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:32 pm:

Absolutely disgusting! Thanks for posting - good work, GL. Patriots need to “document” more of this “slumification” of Woodbridge. A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Does the vehicle with the expired tags at least have a county tax decal proving that the tax was paid and a valid inspection sticker, or is this just another example of the pass that “certain” communities are allowed? Sounds like discriminatory and unequal enforcement of the laws.

What does the fire dept have to say about the open fire in the backyard? Aren’t there ordinances against that? That is def. a public safety hazard.

Couldn’t public health be contacted about the chickens? My friend had the same problem with “diversity” and lack of interest from Neighborhood Svcs and she called public health. Chickens were gone in no time. (Same family was also running an illegal taco truck & cooking up the food at home, that “disappeared” with the chickens as well).

Just some other avenues to consider pursuing. Neighborhood services is not the only regulatory agency in town.

I don’t remember Principi specifically campaigning stating his intent was to roll back the resolution.

5. me-n-u said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:32 pm:

mnd - You don’t need a variance. Just do it. Apparently even when this type of activity goes on nothing is done about it.

6. me-n-u said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:38 pm:

Now I know they have a right to go where the want, but when antibvbl people are critisizing Stewart for speaking at a HSM meeting( not partying with them) we can also question what THEIR motivation is.

7. june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:47 pm:

I know this is a serious matter, but as I scrolled through the pictures, I was laughing so hard I almost wet myself.

I remember when this was going on in Herndon and the previous council and mayor voted to allowed each home one chicken “as a pet.” I don’t know if this carried through Fairfax County or not.

I’m sure the same would apply in PWC. If you go to these homes and question the occupants, they will most likely tell you these hens are family pets, and the extra ones - well, they’re “taking care of them for neighbors who are out of town.” (jail maybe?)

The one that “fell into the pot,” well it was trying to fly from the overhanging branch and fell right into the pot of boiling water.

8. MP Resident said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:50 pm:

Anyone spot the electrical code violation in the 2nd photo?

I’ll let you all figure out what it is, then if nobody gets it right by tonight I’ll let you all know what it is.

9. MP Resident said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:51 pm:

I’ll give you a hint: “wet location”.

10. Virginiaisforlovers said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:53 pm:

I love this story. If I were to have chickens in my back yard, the
    Pres of the homeowners assn. would have a stroke!LOL!
    I’d like to dedicate this song to Frank “Chicken Man” Principi:

(turn up your speakers, this is a good one)

11. josh said on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:05 pm:

this is pretty gross….it’s why I dont live on the other side of hwy-1 and another reason why I just purchased a home away from even lakeridge

12. legal2 said on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:10 pm:

I’m just glad my backyard doesn’t back up to the one in the photos. What a mess. What assimilation. What diversity.

13. starryflights said on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:44 pm:

Those photos are just awful. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere near that slum spot.

14. anon said on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:56 pm:

You sure illegals live there? It IS Woodbridge, you know…

15. me said on 25 Apr 2008 at 5:02 pm:

MP Resident

Yes I did along with other issues!!!! It’s the light switch installed at to the overhang…..

This is ridiculous. Can someone PLESE say what street this is on. I hope it has been turned in if not Greg, you know how to get a hold of me

16. A Reader said on 25 Apr 2008 at 5:43 pm:

I live in Lake Ridge now, but I used to live in Woodbridge. I was awakened many nights before 4 in the morning by roosters crowing! Believe me they don’t wait until dawn. It was infuriating. If people want to live on a farm, let them move to a farm. Principi, WAKE UP! The good citizens of Prince William County want to take back our communities.

17. Foghorn Leghorn said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:03 pm:

Are you sure those arent “fighting” chickens?

18. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:19 pm:

Hey, I know completely legal people who like to raise chickens. In fact, if I had my own place I would raise birds in my own back yard.

19. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:26 pm:

mnd said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:20 pm:

I wonder how much trouble a variance would be to acquire.

No trouble at all. Just tell them you are an “immigrant” and this is the way we do things in Mexico.

20. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:28 pm:

Fed_Up! said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:32 pm:

Contact the district fire marshall. Show him the pictures and inform him zoning does not see a problem with this finka.

21. me said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:29 pm:

I don’t care if you are legal or not I wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at someone. I care that chickens are being raised in a residential neighborhood. That is a VIOLATION of the zoning ordinance and you are required permits to run new electrical work similar to what is shown in the picture that doesn’t look to be in code.

If you want to raise chickens then move to a FARM not a residential neighborhood

22. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:30 pm:

Nofiy ICE about that house and inform them of a good possibility of it being inhabited by illegals and it poses a fire and health hazard.

23. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:33 pm:

legal2 said on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:10 pm:

Whatta smell!

24. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:34 pm:

It looks just like my neighbor’s abode when I had a tour in Nicaragua.

25. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:35 pm:

Foghorn Leghorn said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:03 pm:
    Are you sure those arent “fighting” chickens?

No, they belong to Latinos.

26. es_la_ley said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:52 pm:

Okay, just an observation regarding the makeshift cooker.

Looks like they’re cooking corn (note what looks like corn shucks in the green bucket to the left). Also note what appears to me to be pressurized treated lumber coming out from under the pot and to the left, a 2×4 or some such.

Pressurized treated lumber is treated with ARSENIC (to keep bugs such as termites away). The smoke would be poisonous.

27. es_la_ley said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:15 pm:

Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 6:19 pm:

Good grief. Even “completely legal people”, as you say, aren’t supposed to have chickens in a residential neighborhood. It’s against the county code for every human. :-)

Personally, I’d have a goat or two, so I don’t have to cut my grass. :-)

28. june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:27 pm:

Is it a privacy or legal violation to post the address of this home?

Without knowing where in Woodbridge this house is, or how close it is to other homes in the neighborhood, does anyone know if there are any laws that prohibit free range chickens in the yard? If such laws exist, are people exempt if the house sits on enough land?

Even if free-range chickens are allowed, that cooker is too close to a wood structure. Surely that is an obvious health code and fire violation.

——

If this property is rental, I can’t imagine the landlord wouldn’t want to know how the property is being used.

29. es_la_ley said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:38 pm:

june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:27 pm:

Burning regulations for PWC:

30. june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:43 pm:

es_la_ley said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:38 pm:
    june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:27 pm:

Burning regulations for PWC:

Wouldn’t this fall under the category of back-yard bar-b-que? I live in a town house in Reston (where you can’t do anything) and I can have a gas or coals grill in my back yard.

31. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:50 pm:

Say what you will - I bet it tastes better than store bought chicken.

32. Also in the Park said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:51 pm:

june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:27 pm

Well a friend of mine lives midcounty on 4-5 acres, in his neighborhood several people have horses, so i called him and asked if he could have chickens or goats> Answer was no to those.

33. june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:02 pm:

Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:50 pm:
    Say what you will - I bet it tastes better than store bought chicken.

I buy organically raised chicken from a farm about 50 miles from here that sells at the Farmers Market. I wish it was only $2.00 a pound - more like $3.50.

It really does taste better. And, better still, when you put a roaster in the oven, it comes out the same size (they aren’t pumped up with water and salt).

Given the choice of chickens running around and messing up my back yard for 6 months or paying the farmer, I’ll take the farmer every time.

And, I was raised on a farm, left it for the big city, and have no desire to return.

34. Bob Wills said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:13 pm:

mnd said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:20 pm:

I wonder how much trouble a variance would be to acquire.

There is no such thing as a variance per the Supreme Court of VA. that is why the BOCS passed special zoning to allow horses and jackasses to have a building closer then 35 feet from the property line. The BOCS also ingnored the set back laws and voted to allow a Cell Tower to be build within 50 feet rather then the 267 feet it would have had to be set back per the zoning laws.

I do believe that livestock which chicken are have been to court and ruled they are illegal. Why is the county government not doing its job and this has nothing to do with the impact of the Rule of Law just plane inforce the laws period.

If someone is diabled or a Vet and injured and needed something more then a 3 foot ramp the county says too bad and tough and we will enforce the zoning laws PERIOD.

That is your Stewart, Caddigan, May, Jenkins, Covington and Noeh. Principi has not voted on such an issue but I am sure he will go along with the rest of the bigots on the board.

35. AsIseeit said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:15 pm:

Need to call the County Health Dept. on the chickens

Thats who got rid of the last batch I heard of in Woodbridge.

36. es_la_ley said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:19 pm:

june_reston said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:43 pm:

Wouldn’t this fall under the category of back-yard bar-b-que?

Not in my opinion.

A grill is different.

Look, I’m neither a lawyer or a fire marshall, so this is my personal opinion… :)

Cooking something in a GRILL in your back yard or on a deck is perfectly fine. The fire in your grill is contained and not considered “open burning”. The aforementioned picture shows an open fire on a wood table, with wood stacked underneath, very close to an occupied dwelling (I assume). That’s bad juju. It’s equivalent to having an open campfire on a deck attached to your house.

I live in PWC mid-county. The zoning allows for “recreational fires”, i.e. campfires, on my property. But even then, they must be at least 100 feet from a structure.

Let us know when you’re grilling. :)

37. Che' said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:20 pm:

Where’s PETA when you need them?

38. es_la_ley said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:29 pm:

Also in the Park said on 25 Apr 2008 at 7:51 pm:

Correct. Horses are allowed at 1 per acre in mid-county, I believe. The zoning changed a while back from Agricultural to SRR (semi-rural residential). Can’t have chickens, goats, cows, et. al. anymore, unfortunately. :-)

39. josh said on 25 Apr 2008 at 8:35 pm:

That didnt look like a grill to me, but a freaking makeshift stove. I’m sure this is not cool, someone has only to report them to find out. I wouldnt want livestock crowing in my backyard. In fact, the noise ordinances are pretty strict in the area, I have only to call the police and they come running when my old neighbors had dogs barking at odd hours. utterly amazing, although I’m sure them birds are good eatin’

sell them to KFC….

40. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2008 at 9:04 pm:

The worst thing about roosters is the noise. I remember watching cartoons, and the rooster would crow at dawn. When I got to Central America I found out that they start crowing at 2 a.m. I couldn’t sleep. And everybody in town had a rooster. It drove me crazy. And the people were used to it. They slept right through it.

When people come to the US, there are some things that are just non-negotiable. May God bless them, and may we enjoy the best things of their cultures like German beer, kung pao chicken, Thai rice and Oaxacan tamales, but some things they have just got to adapt to.

There was an article in the post about the chickens in PW County. It mentioned a lot of violations but few penalties. The reason is that the people got rid of the chickens as soon as they found out it was prohibited. It’s good to know that they were willing to adapt so quickly.

41. anon in dale city said on 25 Apr 2008 at 9:48 pm:

Don’t knock chicken or hens at least. Just because some Mexicans raise chickens and do it in a problematic way doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea. As the car centered suburbs run into problems with the advent of peak oil. we will see more of this kind of thing. Roosters on the other hand are a different story. I would object to anything that loud.

42. Patty said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:11 pm:

me-n-u said on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:38 pm:

“Did you all happen to see the 9500 liberty video with Nohe and Principi in attendance at the antibvbl and something else party?”

me-n-u,

I’m sure someone at the VA State Republican Party is watching this and wondering about Supervisor Nohe. I wonder if Mr. Nohe realizes that Eric Byler and Annabelle Park were responsible for taking down Senator George Allen with their masterful baiting, video and editing routine. I wouldn’t be surprised if Senator Allen has seen this.

Well Supervisor Nohe,

Do you like to associate with individuals whose sole purpose is to destroy Republicans?

43. Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:22 pm:

I could go on but the subversity of it is too disturbing…

[Ed note: the redundant links to various suppliers of exotic fowl that this comment refers to have been removed. Not that they were offensive or anything, but just so much clutter.]

44. Che' said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:30 pm:

Fer shure, dude.

45. Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:33 pm:

Yes, I sent links to about 4 of the fity + links, that you didn’t have to follow if ya didn’t want to, on raising chickiens in urban and suburban enviornments. All links were in English and were made presumably by Americans of all ethnicities and socio economic backrounds. Chehck it out, its good stuff, very common.

46. Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:34 pm:

Just do a quick google search on backyard chickens.

47. Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:35 pm:

48. A Reader said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:43 pm:

Chickens in my neighborhood in Woodbridge made my quality of life miserable. We should not have to put up with this. I do not want this culture in my community. This is another example of the fallout from the invasion. If we don’t stand up and demand that the Rule of Law be enforced and beefed up we will be living in a third world country.

49. Michael said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:44 pm:

It this area zoned agricultural (I.e for legal farming?). If it is the taxes are much lower, and farm profits must be proven on publically available tax records to keep it legally in land use. If these prrof of farming documents are not available the county can levy 5 years residential back property taxes on the owners of the land. If it is not zoned agricultural and zoned for residential use only, then a zoning law is being broken. Is chicken farming on residential property in Woodbridge legal?

50. Greg L said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:52 pm:

No, this is a normal residential neighborhood in Woodbridge, and raising livestock is a violation of zoning ordinances. This is anything but agricultural land. This is someone’s neighborhood, and the pictures were taken from the back yard of an adjacent property. The person who took these photos didn’t even need to enter the chicken owner’s property in order to take them.

Can you just imagine having to deal with a next-door neighbor doing this?

51. Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 11:00 pm:

Oh my God! I could swear that that illegal and exoctic fowl was shouting obscenities at the hen that was passing by. That stuff may be a ok on the farm, but this is PW County for pete’s sake. My psyche has suffered irreperable damage from this cultural assault! Send an e-mail!! Off with their heads!

52. AWCheney said on 25 Apr 2008 at 11:44 pm:

Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:35 pm:
    “And I don’t think that a New Hampshire Reds count as exotic fowl to anyone but a complete idiot - oh, right, we are talking about Greg L, sorry, maybe he considers brown egg layers to be exotic.”

Folks, you have just been treated to an example of the fair, balanced, and unbiased commentary on issues which you would experience at that AntiBVBL site as Valley Girl is one of the regular contributors there.

53. AWCheney said on 25 Apr 2008 at 11:46 pm:

I should say commenters rather than contributors. That’s giving her far too much credit.

54. MP Resident said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:08 am:

The electrical code violations I see:

1)Box not suitable for wet location (should be a weatherproof box)
    2)Switch not suitable for wet location (should be a weatherproof switch)
    3)Romex not suitable for wet location (should be type UF cable or in condiut)
    4)Romex not properly secured

But what the hell, ever see how they do electrical work in Mexico?

55. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 5:00 am:

Mr,Greg,
    if you don’t stop, there will be somebody who’s going to stop you, this is not a threat, but you only encourage hatred man!!

there are many sick people of you, and stewart.

you think that you have not found somebody with the balls in place,you P. O. S , you are F wrong!! I AM REALLY READY TO DARE YOU

JUST LET ME KNOW MORE ABOUT YOU, THEN i WILL BE FAMOSO COMO TU.

YOU ARE NOT A AMERICAN!! F-Y i CAN’T BE POLITE AT YOU .

Gracias ,AT PRINCIPI!!

56. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 5:26 am:

Aguila tribal,

Greg please stop!!

let me insert a aguja in your eyes to see if you feel something!!

57. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 5:55 am:

Anon, your ugliness is showing. This is the stereotypical attitude of ungrateful legals and arrogant illegals that only shows the citizens of PWC what we have to deal with. These were the voices that were heard by the BOCS in October, which probably convinced all supervisors, including barg, to vote unanimously for the Rule of Law Resolution.

58. BattleCat said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:03 am:

Anonymous at 5:00 and 5:26.

I would like to nominate you as THE spokeswoman for all hispanic undocumented immigrants. Your racist hate-spewing ignorance is, I believe, the example by which your cause should be judged. You are truly the representative for your cause. As to your thinly-veiled threats…..I wish you’d start with me.

59. me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:20 am:

According to the zoning ordinance they (chickens) are not allowed in R4 (average of residential lots 4 houses per acre). Plain and simple THIS IS A ZONING VIOLATION. IT NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN and followed up on.

If it has been turned in and nothing was done it needs to be turned in again!!!!

What street is this on!!!!

60. me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:24 am:

MP Resident said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:08 am:
    The electrical code violations I see:
    1)Box not suitable for wet location (should be a weatherproof box)
    2)Switch not suitable for wet location (should be a weatherproof switch)
    3)Romex not suitable for wet location (should be type UF cable or in condiut)
    4)Romex not properly secured

Construction with out permits is ANOTHER VIOLATION that ALSO needs to get turned in!!!!!

What street is this on???

61. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:54 am:

BattleCat said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:03 am:
    Anonymous at 5:00 and 5:26.

anytime , my man, F.B.V.B.L , COME ON, LET’S SET A PLACE, and time !!

HOW IS IT THAT?

62. me-n-u said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:26 am:

Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:54 am:
    What is F.B.V.B.L? Some of us are ignorant. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

63. me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:28 am:

To Anonymous at 7:54 am:

ooohhhh aaaahhhhh is it beat your chest like you wish you were a man or has your parents left you unattended and you thought you might have some fun posting with the adults

Either bring something useful to this discussion or move on

64. me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:30 am:

me-n-u said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:26 am:
    Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:54 am:
    What is F.B.V.B.L? Some of us are ignorant. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

it is F _ _ _ k BVBL (Black Velvet Bruce LI)

65. A Reader said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:45 am:

Anonymous 5:00
    You sound like you’re REALLY mad. Why don’t you pack up all your stuff and move.

66. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:52 am:

anonymous 5:00
    Your side had their fights for amnesty in the US Congress - and LOST!!
    Your side had their fights with PWC BOCS Rule of Law Resolution - and LOST!!
    Your side had their fights in the November elections - and LOST!!
    Crawl back under your rock with the anti’s.

67. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:01 am:

Anonymous 5:00
    Why don’t you meet us at the following address, between 9 and 5pm:

Ask for Mr. Archibeque.

2675 Prosperity Avenue
    Fairfax, VA 22031

68. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:02 am:

ICE tipline: 1-866-347-2423

69. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:08 am:

From the sound of things here maybe it’s time to install the rifle racks back in the pickup trucks. I hope not, but things like this get out of hand when the people see that government isn’t abiding by the LEGAL citizen’s concerns. When people turn to the authorities to take care of certain matters, and the authorities refuse to act, then what happens next? Anarchy!

70. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:14 am:

Apparently some feds are still doing their jobs. Thanks, ICE! http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/topstories/

71. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:15 am:

Apparently, some feds are still doing their jobs. Thanks, ICE!

72. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:17 am:

Ah, 2675 Prosperity Ave, good location. Plenty of trees, and a nice setting to discuss immigration problems. Clever pick Legal2, but I doubt Anon will show. Too bad, it would have been interesting to say the least. If you know what I mean ; )

73. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:25 am:

Someone should let 9500libelous know when anon@5 will attend, so they can record and post it.

74. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:27 am:

sorry the above was shorthand for anonymous @5:00; the address that appeared is unknown to me.

75. Krutis said on 26 Apr 2008 at 10:34 am:

Total deterioraton of this thread! Sheeeeeeeeeesh

76. june_reston said on 26 Apr 2008 at 10:39 am:

Playing devil’s advocate, it would not be at all unrealistic to presume this is a rural area as the photos show no other houses in the immiediate vicininty and many olders trees.

It may also be presumed the person who took these pictures recently moved into the area and is trying to impose his perception of a sterile suburban model on a long-time resident who has always lived this way.

Again, I am playing devil’s advocate and not implying this house is not in an residential zoned and established neighborhood with 4 or more homes per acre.

I understand there is a risk of retaliation if the person who submitted these pictures were to reveal him/her self - of course none of us want that. However, this has been brought into the public domain and revealing the community, street and/or house number would most definitely squelch any of the rumors that BVBL is going after older long-time resident who are grandfathered and well within their rights to raise chickens.

77. AWCheney said on 26 Apr 2008 at 10:47 am:

Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 5:00 am: & Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 5:26 am:

I was wondering when the gang members would finally find us.

78. Just Maura DeSame said on 26 Apr 2008 at 10:53 am:

june-reston, you do not have to play devil’s advocate. My first inclination was “This is not a subdivision. This is a rural area” It could be in Prince William County-there are rural areas in the Co. I just think Greg dug up some photos and misrepresented where they came from. He is a master at reporting mis-information, creating hysteria and getting people, who obviously do not know how to think for themselves, to go along with it.

I am so over him and I believe his rhetoric is bull!!!!

My mother always told me “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts”.

79. VA_Magoo said on 26 Apr 2008 at 11:08 am:

Anonymous 5:00

Your grasp of the English language is awesome.
    But bottom line is this, You are “un-documented”, thus you are here ILLEGALLY as in against the law. So why shouldnt we enforce the laws of OUR land?

Doesnt your own police force in your country of origin enforce your countries laws?

If I were to sneak into your country and tried to live there (illegally), would I not be arrested by the local police?

signed:
    American by birth, thank GOD.

80. june_reston said on 26 Apr 2008 at 11:15 am:

I have no doubt the pictures are authentic and represent a very real concern as originally posted.

Because of skeptics like you, it’s difficult to defend the allegations without - at the very least - an address. Most are skeptics not because of the source, rather because none have ever lived next to this kind of neighbor and automatically presume if it hasn’t happened to them then it must be wong. We saw this same thing in Herndon.

My first question when I started reading this thread was - is this a rental property? I’m inclined to believe it is.

As I own out of state investment property, I rely on my neighbors to contact me whenever anything is out of the ordinary. As a land lord, this (IMHO) is out of the ordinary. I am fortunate that my neighbors are also friends who care as much about my house as I do.

I also wonder if the owner of this house knows how his tenants are using the property and the penalties he may be assessed for the numerous violations in just the few pictures posted.

81. Bob Wills said on 26 Apr 2008 at 11:17 am:

If you watches the budget review this past tuesday you would have seen who wanted to clean up the community by enlarging the enforcment of zoning laws and such. It was not Stewart or May or Stirrup but it was Frank
    Principi who wants to add three people to enforce the zoning laws to keep the communities from becoming worse. Greg this is where you loose all credibility for if a Democrate has a problem it is all over this blog but you ignore facts such as who is trying to clean up the properties. You called Kain all kind of names and insults when he stopped executions waiting for a Supreme Court deciaion but have said NOTHING when Kain reinstated it just hours after the decision came down that said it was Ok to do lethal injections. Maybe the only rule of Law is what is in your mind not what the law actualy is no matter if you like it or not. As I have said before you could do a lot to correct many problems and bring out many of the lies the BOCS tell to the public but you choose to be a Jonny One Note rather then compose a complete song.

82. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 11:26 am:

Valley Girl said on 25 Apr 2008 at 10:22 pm:
    I could go on but the subversity of it is too disturbing…

Just like the poster…….so much clucker!

83. josh said on 26 Apr 2008 at 11:45 am:

Looks like someone is upset about having their chicken operation outed :)

84. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:01 pm:

Mr. Wills, i would be inclined to believe principi had good intentions with the addition of 3 zoning people, however 3X0=0. i hope someone has had any luck with zoning, but i have not. it is always “case closed”, nothing to worry about, or “gee that sounds like fraud (or something) but sorry zoning doesn’t take care of that.” Zoning did nothing about the above mess, either. principi is just obstructing progress by

*adding to the budget so he can appear the savior and so less $ will be available to fund essentials like the resolution which keeps illegals off the streets and out of mischief (before they are in jail and asked for legal status there)

*voting himself a raise that Corey wanted the supervisors to forego

*sidling up to the pro-illegals and ignoring the will of the people (partying hearty with Marty in Woodbridge)

ps. we are looking for a Mazda dealership and found one in Woodbridge - sorry, Frank, we are taking our business elsewhere and i highly recommend that the citizenry make known to businesses located there, that until it is made safe from illegals who commit heinous crimes because they weren’t checked for legal status (BEFORE the worse crimes) WE WILL NOT DO BUSINESS IN WOODBRIDGE.

85. freedom said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:10 pm:

legal 2, your philosophy in refusing to do business in Woodbridge is in large part the reason for what Woodbridge is today….:( Once thriving shopping malls are either largely empty or have been taken-over by Latinos.

Unfortunately many of us surrounding the unincorporated “hoodbridge” have Woodbridge as a mailing address. :(

86. Dolph said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:27 pm:

There is always Brown Mazda in Fairfax City. Perhaps that area has fewer of what you find undesirable. (not really sure what that is)

87. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:41 pm:

freedom, you have my sympathies for the demise of woodbridge.

88. Red, White and Blue said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:48 pm:

Hey “Anonymous”:

For the record,
    Are you for or against illegal aliens?

Are you for or against the right of free speech?

Are you for or against the sign at 9500 Liberty Street?

Are you for or against the 287g program that targets criminals?

Do you agree or disagree that Supervisor Principi may be in violation of some laws (regarding the chickens) and vehicular registration?

Do you agree or disagree that both you and Greg have the right to free speech, without threat or intimiation?

While appealing and asserting your right to arm yourself because of your displeasure with bvbl and Greg, do you agree or disagree that this issue, of illegals, will be resolved in such a manner befitting threats, intimidation and the use of force?

89. AsIseeit said on 26 Apr 2008 at 2:12 pm:

We in Woodbridge are disgusted with Principi and after seeing Marty at that party,he is still the same old person. Talks thru both sides of his mout. And he
    thinks he will get Chairman if Stewart decides to move on???I don’t think so.

It is against the Law to have chickens in a Residential neighborhood.

Have you called Neighborhood Services. This is how they have expanded to have more Dept. Heads.

Also call the Health Dept. They helped a couple years ago.

Anyone who wants an example of what not to be just visit Woodbridge. Drive through the streets of the Acres,Woods,Village and Hills.

Barg did nothing to improve Woodbridge. She was alot of talk but no action.Principi is of the same mold as she helped mold him and gave alot of money.

They don’t care about us TaxPayers plain and simple.

90. me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 2:47 pm:

I would like to know the street name this mess is on.

If we get the street name we or I can FOIA the violations on that street and find out EXACTLY why the County is ignoring or allowing this mess to continue.

I think this is my THIRD time asking what the name of the street is. Can someone PLEASE help me. If this type of violation is ignored something is wrong and needs to be uncovered!!!

91. UnMasMexican said on 26 Apr 2008 at 2:57 pm:

Now your racism extends to the simple people who like to raise a few chickens??

You white people should try this, with the raising food costs. Who is driving around spying on their hardworking neighbors and taking pictures? Get a life.

Viva la raza en PWC and mas pollo, for favor!

92. cdubbs said on 26 Apr 2008 at 3:54 pm:

Here is what I sent to the BOS:

I would like to ask Mr. Principi and all BOS members what they could possibly be thinking about when considering the removal or alteration of the current enforcement program against illegal aliens in our county.

First and foremost this is a public safety issue. Why in the world would you quibble over such a miniscule part of our budget, and possibly mostly a one time cost of $6 million dollars to remove illegal aliens from our county who have come in contact with law enforcement officers and who do not belong here in the first place?

How many potential victims of crime will have been saved as a result of this program? If ICE has removed over 150+ (not sure of the numbers) in the last 3 months alone, don’t you think that the public safety of county residents has been dramatically improved? What will you say to the relatives of the dead victim of a criminal illegal alien, or an abused child, or a homeowner whose house is burglarized, or the victims of a DUI if you stop this program? “Well we could have prevented this but we were just too cheap and thought the best thing to do was just cross our fingers and hope for the best”? What are you thinking about?

Would you consider not repainting the street crosswalks throughout the county in order to save money? Of course not, even though it would probably save alot of money. Public Safety is the number one responsibility of your office. So why would on earth would you think stopping this enforcement program is a good idea?

If you really want to save some money, how about defunding the TATOO REMOVAL PROGRAM and other such programs? Funny thing though. The more illegal aliens who are gang members that are removed, the fewer tatoos the county will need to pay to have removed. This “TATOO ANALOGY” can be applied across the board. It certainly can be shown that illegal aliens involved in DUI accidents, gang related activities, and over-all crime has gone down at least a little since the start of the program. Let alone all the other county services that are no longer used by the removed illegal aliens.

While we have all seen the positive results, what negative results that detract from public safety have you encountered Mr. Principi? I ask again, why would you stop law enforcement officers from removing illegal alien criminals from our community?

In closing it is my humble opinion that you as a member of the Board of Supervisors are obligated to ensure the Public Safety of our community. By removing or in any way redacting this program you are
    abrogating your responsibilities as a steward of this county. I urge you to continue to support this program as it currently is designed.

93. Red, White and Blue said on 26 Apr 2008 at 5:48 pm:

To UnMasMexican :

I have tried to raise animals - it is called farming. I have tried to offset the purchasing meat from the store - that’s called hunting. I don’t do either in my backyard but I do on the farm. So come up with better argument. Is everything you don’t like called “racism” or you just scream louder with nonsense?

It has little to do with “racism” if you do illegal things and fail to properly register your car like the rest of us - especially when you are a politician. So far, his choices have been your poor, just like your argument.

94. BattleCat said on 26 Apr 2008 at 6:35 pm:

Anonymous,

HOW IS IT THAT?

Is that a question? You should learn to form questions properly, though I doubt you’ve uttered an intelligent question or statement in your entire life. All you do is make law-abiding citizens more determined to clean the trash out of our county (I applaud you for that). As far as the place and time, the law says I can’t do what needs to be done unless you invade my home. Since you’re obviously a criminal, I’m guessing it’s just a matter of time. See you then!

95. legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 6:45 pm:

Again, Anonymous 5:00
    Why don’t you meet us at the following address, between 9 and 5pm:

Ask for Mr. Archibeque.

2675 Prosperity Avenue
    Fairfax, VA 22031

I want to add, make sure it’s on a day between Monday and Friday.

96. BattleCat said on 26 Apr 2008 at 6:47 pm:

Oh, did everyone hear about Senate bill S2717? Here’s a synopsis:

State and local law enforcement officers are on the front lines of combating crimes committed by illegal aliens, but they are often hampered in their efforts. S 2717 - the Effective Immigration Enforcement Partnerships Act of 2008 - by Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), clarifies the authority of state and local law enforcement agencies to investigate, identify, and apprehend illegal immigrants to enforce federal immigration laws.

The legislation also requires the Department of Homeland Security to take an illegal alien into custody within 72 hours of apprehension or arrest by local officers. In addition, the bill requires the Department to offer training for state and local law enforcement officers and to compensate local entities for the expenses of immigration enforcement.

While border enforcement is imperative, we also need the interior enforcement that can only be provided by local agencies.

I’m calling my legislators ASAP!

97. Red, White and Blue said on 26 Apr 2008 at 6:53 pm:

And to all you whine boxes who claim Greg or bvbl is “racist”, I don’t hear ANY of you whine boxes or “tough guys” say anything about “racism”, crime or slavery when or more of your illegal buddies gets caught running a prostitution house - AGAIN. I guess you approve of such actions and the basic enslavement of the prostitutes who, for the most part if not all, are also hispanic. I don’t see you welcoming them to America doing jobs “other Americans won’t do” or contributing to “building America”, you know, like your last sign said, cleaning our houses, building our roads or just basically saving America. When one or more of your own gets caught like this, none of you run to assist or help the girls of the trade. In fact, you ignore it. If an illegal kills someone, even another illegal, you ignore it. If MS13 rears its ugly head, I don’t see that on your sign at 9500 Liberty. No, you call us (everyone who is not illegal or is “white”) racist. You claim foul. You put your sign up, hold your anti-bvbl dinner but you do NOTHING to help your own by getting criminal illegals out.
    Well, I guess in these cases, nothing must be something because you all apparently support such criminal activity. As of yet, I don’t see any of you good illegals or illegal supporters offering rewards, stopping crime or policing yourselves by starting your own police department.
    Try this next on your “sign or this statement at your dinner.
    “We would like to say that we abhor criminal activity by any illegals and we deplore MS13 or any other gang activity. We agree to work to help eliminate these banes from society. We also thank the police for their actions in apprehending criminals and punishing them, making our streets and our homes safer.”

Now, is this asking too much or do all of you continue ignoring crime?

98. UnMasMexican said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:20 pm:

Silly racists. I don’t agree with Anonymous’ violent comments but thinking your Prosperity Avenue bit is clever? Sad. Muy triste.

My original point is that a few chickens in a well-maintained enclosure are not a big deal, and certainly none of you know anything about the immigration status of these hard-working Americans.

99. choctaws said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:26 pm:

Finger licking chickens?

Good eating!

I went on a walk of historic anacostia dc today.

You redneck republicans ever walk around there?

Chickens everywhere, no aliens.

grow up.

100. es_la_ley said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:26 pm:

choctaws said on 26 Apr 2008 at 7:26 pm:

“Finger licking chickens?”

Never saw a chicken licking a finger. Never thought a chicken could actually lick.

“I went on a walk of historic anacostia dc today.
    Chickens everywhere, no aliens.”

Yea! And Obama is Irish! Guffaw!

“You redneck republicans ever walk around there?”

Very quickly!

“grow up.”

Way past that!

101. Bob Wills said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:40 pm:

cdubbs said on 26 Apr 2008 at 3:54 pm:
    Here is what I sent to the BOS:

Stewart is just one of the trio that is backing away from funding in full what they said they would do a few months ago. When will you catch on that Stewart has no possible way to be honest or to understand what he proposes. If you listened to the budget meeting he seemed to think that cameras in the police cars would only be used for illegal immigrant activities. he had no idea that all activities that they police did where they had cameras had to be available to the public for any crime commited. This guy is a lawyer but that is right he does that international trade stuff and we all know how well screwed this country has been by those trade agreements.

102. Bob Wills said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:43 pm:

AsIseeit said on 26 Apr 2008 at 2:12 pm:

Principi is the one who wants three more people to crack down on things wrong in the neighborhood and Stewart could care less if that happens or not.

103. Bob Wills said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:50 pm:

legal2 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:01 pm:

I agree that the staff has a long ways to go before they do the job they should be doing. If someone just does it they get by if you go by the law they will jump all over you and pick and choose what laws they want to obey just like the BOCS.

Stewart is the one who is not backing the funding in full for the Rule of Law as he claimed before the election. Stewart tell the public what they want to hear and then does something else.

*voting himself a raise that Corey wanted the supervisors to forego

sitting supervisors can not vote them selves a raise and that was done by the BOCS before this last election and Principi was not on that board. That raise was put off till01-09 before the budge meeting and Stewart was trying to make the public think that 5,000 ( the amount of the raise in total) would make a difference in your tax bill just another grand stand play by Stewart that means nothing.

104. Vigilant1 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:56 pm:

BattleCat said on 26 Apr 2008 at 6:47 pm:
    Oh, did everyone hear about Senate bill S2717? Here’s a synopsis:

Dumb Harry will never let this bill get to the floor of the Senate.

105. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 8:59 pm:

UnMasMexican said on 26 Apr 2008 at 2:57 pm:
    Now your racism extends to the simple people who like to raise a few chickens??

Sounds like you are using too much pomade on your head. Try to use a little less.

106. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:00 pm:

Dolph said on 26 Apr 2008 at 1:27 pm:

GUESS!

107. 999 said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:03 pm:

me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 2:47 pm:
    I would like to know the street name this mess is on.

After your third time of asking where this abomination is, I strongly suspect it is not in this area at all. Since Greg posted the picture, why is he not giving out the address?

108. Greg L said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:58 pm:

The source of these photos did not want to provide information that might indicate to anyone who he might be. I believe he is concerned about potential reprisals. Should he decide to share the location of this with me and indicate I can release that information, I will.

109. Patty said on 26 Apr 2008 at 10:01 pm:

It’s in the area. He doesn’t need to broadcast the address for all of PWC to drive by and see. We’ve had chickens in our neighborhood at one time. How do I know? You could hear the roosters crowing at the crack of dawn.

Gee, maybe WHO should come and check Woodbridge to make sure there is no outbreak of Avian Flu. I’m being serious. All it takes is just one chicken. When chickens are kept like this and in close proximity to a large population chances are it could happen.

110. me said on 26 Apr 2008 at 11:10 pm:

With out even the subdivision to be able to FOIA request the complaints about chickens I am not buying your source story that the County did nothing.

These are flagrant violations in zoning (neighborhood services) as well as the building violations, electrical violations and the construction without permits which is a completely different department than neighborhood services.

If and I mean IF this was turned in and NOTHING was done something is rotten very high up and it needs to be addressed immediately!!!!

111. monticup said on 27 Apr 2008 at 12:02 am:

Patty: You’re absolutely right regarding bird flu.

Anonymous at 8:59: You are too funny! Pomade. Heavily scented.

112. Dave in PWC said on 27 Apr 2008 at 6:21 am:

I also tried our county zoning office to witness and help our complex with the overcrowded condos. They sent “you know who” and he was useless. He even told me that he caught the owner in a lie on the next visit (demanded by me after he told me “nothing was wrong, they are all related”) and the inspector did nothing about the lie. “Oh well, they are all related” he said. So I have zero confidence in our county zoning office.

I had better luck with the Fire/Hazmat team coming to investigate a self proclaimed illegal pouring oil down the storm drains, they came within the hour.

113. june_reston said on 27 Apr 2008 at 8:22 am:

Greg L said on 26 Apr 2008 at 9:58 pm:
    The source of these photos did not want to provide information that might indicate to anyone who he might be. I believe he is concerned about potential reprisals. Should he decide to share the location of this with me and indicate I can release that information, I will…..

Fair enough.

As an alternative, perhaps your friend would consider working with neighbors who are equally concerned about this illegal lifestyle in a residential area, and organize a telephone or email campaign to all members of the Counicl.

It has been my experience if only a few people call the locality representative, about the only thing that is done is “lip service.” However, when the concern is presented to the entire Board, no one can say “I wasn’t aware.”

Then there is always the press. The WaPo loves these types of “human interest” stories. Just the mention that this is happening in a PWC residential community puts the Council on notice.

Something to think about.

114. anon said on 27 Apr 2008 at 11:29 am:

It would seem to be easy enough to name the subdivision in which this is located, rather than providing an address. Woodbridge district subdivisions are huge and the disclosure of the subdivision would not put the neighbor in any jeopardy.

Marumsco Hills?
    Marumsco Acres?
    Marumsco Woods?
    Marumsco Village?

There are other subdivisions, but the visible parts of the property look like it is probably in one of these areas. The fencing makes it clear that this is not a rural property - that fence and layout is typical of the Hylton-built neighborhoods.

Strangely, the third photo looks like it was taken at a time other than this week.

115. Anonymous said on 27 Apr 2008 at 1:25 pm:

anon,
    You are right these pictures appear to have been taken in the summer and in the winter. Dale City is certainly another likely subdivision. There were plenty of chix in WestGate and Sudley last spring. Happily there’ve been no more roosters crowing in the western end of the county. I think PCE knows they must do their job in western PWC. Too many citizens are active in reporting these types of health hazards.

I don’t think these pictures are credible until at the least the street and subdivion names are given. Lafayette never had a problem putting here pictures up. If this is a true story and they are on the right side of the LAW, they would not be so secrective.

116. june_reston said on 27 Apr 2008 at 2:38 pm:

As links to these pictures are making the rounds on the internet, they are raising suspicions and questions.

It is understandable the person who submitted the pictures may be concerned about retaliation, but he/she did take the first step, knowing this at the time - or so one would hope.

Unless the photos and accompanying story are current and verifiable, they will be perceived as just another unfounded urban legend — someone trying to set up Greg and the bvbl.

Failing to provide an address, the entire thread is nothing but hpothesis and conjecture.

Earlier today, I received an email asking if this was fact or fiction. Based on the content of this thread, I told my friend I had to be honest and admit that I have no idea if this is a joke or the real deal.

117. A Reader said on 27 Apr 2008 at 4:49 pm:

I bet if a request for confirmation of the presence of chickens was placed in the paper, plenty of people would be happy to voice their complaints. When I lived in Woodbrige I never knew which particular house had the chickens, I just heard the the racket of a rooster crowing well before dawn. I didn’t know who to complain about. My sleep was repeatedly disturbed, but I just put up with it. I am so pleased that someone is shedding light on this problem. We need to get this situation fixed.

118. june_reston said on 27 Apr 2008 at 5:15 pm:

Usually, if a person is taking pictures from his/her back yard into the neighbor’s back yard, it’s a pretty safe presumption they know what street they live on.

I hate to have to say it, but I think we’ve all been played.

A bit of a let down because that sort of thing doesn’t usually happen here.

119. Anonymous said on 27 Apr 2008 at 6:08 pm:

File all zoning complaints here. Yes, this does include chix.