video production in Manassas and Prince William County

More Calls To Remove “Good Time Charlie”

By Greg L | 1 May 2008 | Crime, Prince William County | 90 Comments

Riley over at Virginia Virtucon is calling for chief Deane to be fired:

PWC Police Chief “Good Time” Charlie Deane is at it again.  This rogue cop who does as he pleases without regard to the intent of the Board of County Supervisors has finally gone too far.

Although his poor performance, insubordination, and coddling of lawbreakers are all good reasons to demand Chief Deane be replaced, it’s going to take a scandal to remove someone this firmly entrenched in county government. It’ll probably take another week or two for that to come out, though, at which point his demands will stand a much better chance of being honored.

1. 999 said on 1 May 2008 at 1:21 pm:

Pretty much of what Riley stated is true. A few years back my vehicle which was parked outside of my house on a quiet street was struck by a hit-and-run driver. Response from the police……”if you find out anything, let us know.” The same vehicle was broken into while parked in my driveway and an attempt was made to steal the stereo system. Police response……”here is an incident number for your insurance company. No one showed up to look at the vehicle or to fingerprint the tools left behind. It is time for a a change in leadership (which it sorely needs) for the PWC police department.

2. Che' said on 1 May 2008 at 1:28 pm:

I’ve even heard that the officers are only allowed to have one bullet, and they have to keep it in their shirt pockets.

3. Riley said on 1 May 2008 at 1:34 pm:

That sounds like a policy that Deane would have in place. Hey, if it was good enough for Mayberry and Andy Griffith, it must be good enough for the second largest county in Virginia and one of the wealthiest in the U.S.

4. Anonymous said on 1 May 2008 at 1:35 pm:

Che’, Are the allowed to keep that bullet in a magazine, or do they have to eject the magazine out of their Glocks, load the bullet in the mag, then insert the mag, and rack the slide?

5. Bob Wills said on 1 May 2008 at 1:39 pm:

Che’ said on 1 May 2008 at 1:28 pm:

I heard that if you put your head in the sand your so called brains would be sun burned.

You do have to believe what you hear don’t you ????

6. Riley said on 1 May 2008 at 1:48 pm:

Bob, that was an obvious reference to Barney Fife (played by Don Knotts) from “The Andy Griffith Show”

7. Rick Bentley said on 1 May 2008 at 1:58 pm:

I hope you do blow his doors off. I have respect for the job the PWC Police do, and I’ve seen them do some good responsive things. But Deane and his stubborn coddling of illegals must go. I’m glad you invited him to speak at length one night at an HSM meeting so that I could see first-hand what a pompous, out-of-touch, mentally challenged old fool he is.

8. El Lobo said on 1 May 2008 at 2:27 pm:

But el Chiefo LOVES to tout his uniform. Yes, at one of the HSM meetings he was very pompous and in some cases became irritated from some of the questions he received from the audience. The questioners had valid concerns but it appeared that Deane was more concerned about how he looked in his uniform as two clowns from “El Comercio” were taking photos. What was sickening was that when Deane left, one of the photographer clowns put his arm around Deane and was whispring in his ear. Deane does NOT portray the tough llaw enforcement qualities I would expect to see in a chief. Deane is a CINO…..”chief in name only”.

9. Che' said on 1 May 2008 at 2:29 pm:

Easy on the caffeine, Bobby boy. I was only joking.
    Ouch!

10. Che' said on 1 May 2008 at 2:35 pm:

Get a clue Bobby! I was joking.

11. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 2:47 pm:

I detest Chief Deane like a sickness. Stewart better stay on his case. If Chief Deane restricts in any way an officers ability to assist in detecting illegal aliens I say we call the feds on him for breaking federal law.

To Chief Deane: I hope you get run over by a drunk illegal alien.

12. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 3:09 pm:

I also hope a group of 25 illegals move in next door to you. But of course you would enforce the laws in that case wouldn’t you? If you can’t understand why the citizens are so angry over illegal aliens then you shouldn’t be the chief of police. How about some community outreach to the non-illegals in this county.

13. Dolph said on 1 May 2008 at 3:31 pm:

The Dude,

I guess you have never heard of bad karma? How about the Golden Rule?

I also don’t suppose you have grasped that the feds are not going to help you? Want to explain what federal laws Chief Deane is breaking?

Good heavens, think about what you are saying.

——————————————————————-

What happened to all the blackslapping and hi-fiving of yesterday? What happened to the exuberance from the big win?

Why are you all once again all pissed off over Chief Deane? (rolling eyes) Is this going to be another witch hunt? Do you really want a COP you can all push around? Oh PUH-leeez …don’t answer. I am so sorry I asked.

14. gstone said on 1 May 2008 at 3:32 pm:

Come on Bob , you don’t remember this song from the show

Oh my Barney, Oh my Barney
    Had a jail and couldn’t lock it
    Had a bullet for his pistol,
    Had to keep it in his pocket

15. ProudVirginiaCITIZEN said on 1 May 2008 at 3:33 pm:

That’s why I like The Dude, telling it like it is. And ol’ Bob, buddy you gotta let go of all that stress brother, it’s gonna drive you to an early grave.

16. gstone said on 1 May 2008 at 3:35 pm:

Hey Dude
    Easy there fellow. Deane may be clueless, but nobody should wish him harm.

17. manassascityresident said on 1 May 2008 at 3:37 pm:

Dude -
    You wouldn’t be from Pittsburgh, would you?
    I ask because I worked with a guy MANY years ago, and his nickname was “Dude” - just curious.

18. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 3:40 pm:

Karma is my point exactly. Chief Deane needs to personally experience the problems we are so angry about. I haven’t seen Chief Deane organize a community outreach to those negatively impacted by illegal immigration problems. Like beer cans thrown all over the lawn, peeing in public, drunk driving without a license, and 20+ illegals to a house in an otherwise nice neighborhood with children.

I hope that Chief Deane personally experiences all of these problems. I never said I wanted the drunk driver to kill him. Just let him feel the pain those of us who don’t live in a house that illegals are too scared to move in next to.

I may purchase the house next door to Chief Deane and allow free rent to the largest group of illegal aliens I can find. I bet Chief Deane clears them out in that case…

19. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 3:44 pm:

Ha, no not from Pittsburg. “The Dude” is a character from a movie “The Big Lebowski.”

20. Riley said on 1 May 2008 at 3:44 pm:

Dolph, I only want a Police Chief who will do his job to faithfully uphold the law without being explicitly told to do so. I only want a Police Chief who realizes that going after the small, quality of life crimes deters more serious crimes from happening by creating a more inhospitable environment for lawbreakers. I only want a Police Chief who would have been forward thinking enough to want cameras installed in patrol cars years ago in order to provide evidence against criminals in prosecutions and help with the physical protection of our police officers instead of only adding it on now as a means solely to defend against potential lawsuits.

Those are three basic areas where Deane sorely lacks and that is why I have no confidence in him to lead this department anymore.

21. BattleCat said on 1 May 2008 at 3:48 pm:

or Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole “brevity” thing!

22. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 3:51 pm:

Also, I don’t think the changes to the resolution are a loss yet. I think as long as the board, Stewart being about the only one we can trust on this, insists that police officer discretion is maintained and that there are no mandates from Chief Deane to deny this ability of the police officers.

Believe me, we will know the mandate of Chief Deane now. There are several police officers who are as fed up with illegal immigration as the rest of us. They will spill the beans on any more covert restrictions Deane tries to impose.

Community anger needs to be maintained though so that due diligence is continued by Stewart et al.

23. AnonGuy said on 1 May 2008 at 4:00 pm:

OT, but I thought everyone might like this:

Casual Observer said on 1 May 2008 at 3:53 pm:
    Just got this from Eric and Annabel. They’re on Wolf Blitzer’s Situation Room today:

Can you help us out?

Tonight CNN will air a segment about 9500 Liberty starring Annabel and yours truly. It will be during Wolf Blitzer’s program which is I believe 4 PM to 7 PM EST (check your TV guide). We expect a lot of traffic to the YouTube page in the hours that follow, so we are cleaning house, putting the best videos on the channel page.

The channel page has a comments section if you scroll down. During the day today, it would be great if you guys could post some comments and start a civil and constructive conversation there so that new-comers are encouraged to join in. Be prepared for some wacko’s to post some of the usual mindless talking points once the show airs (especially where you can comment on individual videos).

Thanks,
    Eric, Annabel, and Jeff”

I wonder what Lou Dobbs might say?

Well, what are we waiting for? Start commenting!

24. Riley said on 1 May 2008 at 4:02 pm:

25. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 4:23 pm:

Time to start those angry emails to the following:

Martin Nohe
    Michael May
    Frank Principi
    John Jenkins

I say unless these four insist that police discretion is maintained and that Chief Deane is forbidden to deny police officers their discretion, we should direct our anger at these four supervisors.

Vote the bums out otherwise.

26. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 4:24 pm:

This must be a constant battle for right. We had a slight setback but its not to late to turn it into a victory. Don’t give up the fight! Tell these bums that we are angry with them:

Martin Nohe
    Michael May
    Frank Principi
    John Jenkins

27. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 4:46 pm:

And great pull Battlecat! Ha!

28. Bob Wills said on 1 May 2008 at 4:47 pm:

Che’ said on 1 May 2008 at 2:29 pm:
    Easy on the caffeine, Bobby boy. I was only joking.
    Ouch!

and you thought I had pinched you and that caused the Ouch ??

Just thought you would like to play with words a bit

get some thicker skin and enjoy life …..

29. Bob Wills said on 1 May 2008 at 4:51 pm:

gstone said on 1 May 2008 at 3:32 pm:
    Come on Bob , you don’t remember this song from the show

Oh my Barney, Oh my Barney
    Had a jail and couldn’t lock it
    Had a bullet for his pistol,
    Had to keep it in his pocket

Don’t remember that one must be too old and haveing to go back to Uncle Milty and the Texaco Men

30. me-n-u said on 1 May 2008 at 4:53 pm:

Anyone know who “JEFF” is from 9500 lIberty? I think I’ll barf if Annabel or Eric say they are just trying to get the facts of the illegal immigration issue in PWC.

31. Bob Wills said on 1 May 2008 at 4:55 pm:

Riley said on 1 May 2008 at 4:02 pm:

But Stewart was the one who did not want to fund the cameras and it was Principi who forced Stewart and the others to change their stance. STewart at the budget mark up was the one who wanted to cut the number of police officers and Principi was the one who wanted to add three Neighborhood inspectors.

I still want to know why the county can not be more effective in enforcing the zoning laws for over crowding and conditions around the houses. they failed and so the problem was turned over to get the police to make thinsg happen and that is wrong for them to be the only ones making a difference.

32. luigirusty said on 1 May 2008 at 5:06 pm:

Do you people honestly think that Chief Deane at his leisure and without any oversight simply chooses what laws the police will or will not enforce? Chief Deane serves at the will of the BOCS. The BOCS voted to pull back on the immigration policy and to restrict police actions. These are the same reactionaries who voted in the immigration policy, and forced immediate compliance from the police department without allowing adequate time for training and resource acquisition. These are the reactionaries who now have voted to pull back on the immigration policy because the fire is getting just a little too hot, and they can’t take the heat. Wishy washy politicians. Get a grip people.

33. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 5:09 pm:

The four that voted for the cameras in the end were the four that knew that thats what was required to defeat Principi, Nohe, May, and Jenkins from trying to gut the most important part of the resolution. The ability for a police officer to check immigration status by simply observing probable cause of immigration violation was the meat of why the illegals are running scared.

The extra neighborhood inspectors are worthless without that ability. Extra officers are not needed without that ability. The illegals are taught exactly how to respond to challenges that are presented by police officers and inspectors. The only thing that can defeat their bogus responses is the threat of a full immigration checks. And being denied the ability to perform these full immigration checks would be an utter defeat of the resolution.

The supervisors must ensure that no police officer is denied their discretion in this matter. If it takes another resolution wording change than lets fight to make that change. Maybe its already in the new wording as I haven’t read the finalized text yet?

34. me said on 1 May 2008 at 5:17 pm:

The Dude,

Are neighborhood inspectors allowed to question the legal status of anyone?

35. AsIseeit said on 1 May 2008 at 5:25 pm:

Channel 7- local-Washington DC— is taking a Poll if Police should ask about

immigration and status.

Send your answer.

36. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 5:26 pm:

Have any of you read the resolution?

There is nothing in there about police discretion.

It plainly states who gets checked - those arrested. Period.

37. manassascityresident said on 1 May 2008 at 5:27 pm:

did you read it, anon?

38. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 5:29 pm:

Yes I did mcr. And I was ticked off. We were sold down the river. Under the cloak of darkness.

39. manassascityresident said on 1 May 2008 at 5:32 pm:

I hate to sound ignorant - but is it online on the county website?

40. legal2 said on 1 May 2008 at 5:34 pm:

9500libelous should be sued for defamation among other things

41. es_la_ley said on 1 May 2008 at 5:35 pm:

“AsIseeit said on 1 May 2008 at 5:25 pm:

Channel 7- local-Washington DC— is taking a Poll if Police should ask about immigration and status.

WJLA.COM Middle of the page, scroll down…

42. hello said on 1 May 2008 at 5:36 pm:

I’m a little confused, when ever I have had any interaction with the police I have always been asked for ID. If an illegal alien is pulled over and can’t produce a drivers license or proof of insurance will they have their status checked or do they actually need to be arrested?

43. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 5:38 pm:

They must be arrested under this new resolution. Unfortunately.

The new resolution is not available online as far as I know. It actually seems very hard to come by - at least in my experience. I read it over someone’s shoulder and don’t have a copy.

44. manassascityresident said on 1 May 2008 at 5:39 pm:

yeah, I looked as well, and couldn’t find it.

45. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 5:51 pm:

Well, we need to make sure Police Discretion is clearly stated in the resolution. Is it too late to have it added if it isn’t there?

And I wish Stewart wouldn’t lie to us. Its ok to admit defeat if you are defeated. We all know Stewart was even willing to vote for a tax increase in order to keep it in there. I’m not blaming him for losing (I blame Principi, Nohe, May, and Jenkins for that), but I’m annoyed we’re being lied to about it assuming there is no police discretion.

At least it will help mobilize everybody if we’re honest about a defeat. If it isn’t a defeat, then I better see Police Discretion clearly stated in the resolution.

46. hello said on 1 May 2008 at 5:54 pm:

That sucks, there is a reason they have both written and driving tests at the DMV to get a license. It’s about public safety, so if an illegal alien is pulled over what do they do, just give them a ticket? If so, how do they know who their dealing with if they don’t have id? To me this change seems pretty significant because not only is it a risk to public safety with them being on the roads but it’s a lost chance to detain a person who is breaking multiple laws.

47. starryflights said on 1 May 2008 at 5:58 pm:

I am in my corner, getting ready for a battle. I will actively campaign for anyone running against Jenkins in the next election!

48. starryflights said on 1 May 2008 at 6:01 pm:

I would like to know where the BOCS live. Are they all tucked safely away from what I see? I wish we could start an illegal alien day labor pick up in front of each of their homes.

49. PWCLegalCitizen said on 1 May 2008 at 6:04 pm:

Resolution from the County Gov’t website located under the
    BOCS link.

Disclaimer says, “Resolution: Illegal Immigration - Modify Directives to Police Department Concerning the Role of Local Law Enforcement in Enforcing Federal Immigration Law (This resolution is not certified until the Board of County Supervisors approves the minutes from the April 29, 2008, meeting.)”

50. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 6:10 pm:

Actually I found the resolution. I think there needs to be added that police can at their discretion perform immigration status checks. It is not in there now. The closes thing to it is this which seems very weak to me:

“This directive is not intended, nor shall it be read to limit a police officer’s ability to seek, at any time, identifying or other information from persons with whom he or she comes in contact, where such inquiries are proper under the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution and within the scope of the officer’s law-enforcement duties. This directive merely changes the time at which immigration or citizenship status inquiries are mandated from pre-arrest to post-arrest.”

51. Rick Bentley said on 1 May 2008 at 6:14 pm:

We should start redirecting day laborers to principi’s neighborhood somehow. Maybe take up a collection to rent out a flophouse near to him.

52. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 6:18 pm:

If the resolution doesn’t take effect until the next meeting, then why has Deane rescinded enforcement as indicated in the Examiner article?

Big, big change: “This directive merely changes the time at which immigration or citizenship status inquiries are mandated from pre-arrest to post-arrest.”

This is HUGE. This is a victory for illegal immigrants.

How in the hell did this happen?

53. es_la_ley said on 1 May 2008 at 6:29 pm:

anon said on 1 May 2008 at 6:18 pm:

However, if I’m not mistaken, within the previous set of rules an officer needed probable cause to ask immigration status in the “pre-arrest” stage. That’s not a minor hurdle! He/she’d have to defend that.

Either way it sucks. The key was the cameras. We need the stinkin’ cameras!

54. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 6:31 pm:

This isn’t just Principi, some of you have to realize that Principi, Nohe, May, and Jenkins are ALL to blame for this fiasco.

All four of them should be voted out. I only hope it isn’t too late to add some better language into the resolution.

In my opinion, the most effective part of it is utterly and completely gutted.

55. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 6:41 pm:

You’ve got to hand it to Principi, he completely outmaneuvered Stewart on this. I’m not totally blaming Stewart, I just think he got beaten. When your team loses you have to learn from it though.

Hopefully Stewart doesn’t give up on this yet. There might still be some room to maneuver this back to victory if we improve the language a little bit. If not we can try again next time. But I don’t want us to just pretend we won. We didn’t. Pretending will only help a little in terms of perception and potentially keeping new illegals from coming here. We need real enforcement though and a real fear that when the police show up at a house for noise violation or similar, that at least the potential for immigration check is there.

It is no longer there. Period.

56. Anonymous said on 1 May 2008 at 6:44 pm:

Did Chief Deane clear his alleged changes re the police enforcement portion of the ROL with the Mexican consulate official first?

57. es_la_ley said on 1 May 2008 at 6:51 pm:

Just one battle in the war. Next stage?

58. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 7:03 pm:

I wonder if they were even allowed to change this resolution. There was no public notice, no citizen input and when did these negotiations occur?

Es_la_ley said:
    “However, if I’m not mistaken, within the previous set of rules an officer needed probable cause to ask immigration status in the “pre-arrest” stage.”

Well, at least in the previous resolution, there was the probable cause clause. Now it clearly states “post-arrest”. That’s a huge loss. And there was no need for a loss. So the cameras didn’t pass. Don’t get them now. Get them with a grant in the future. There was ZERO need to change the resolution.

Marty Nohe really sickens me. And Mike May too. This is what I expected from Jenkins and Principi, however.

Nohe and May are rotten stinking weasels in my book. And I will do whatever I can to support their oppenents in the future. Marty can even kiss my business goodbye. He is a dishonest person, IMO.

59. starryflights said on 1 May 2008 at 7:41 pm:

My guess is that during their LONG recess, they may have all met with the Latino Consulates. What ever happened, this is betrayal, lack of courage and apathy towards their citizens and legal residents. We no longer matter in the eyes of the BOCS. In this county you will now receive preferential treatment, if you are an illegal alien (criminals everyone of them). Shame on the PWC BOCS. We are all required to have driver’s licenses, they are not. We are held accountable for all of our traffic violations, they are not. We are responsible for our taxes, they are not. We are held responsible for obeying all of our laws, they are not.

60. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 7:46 pm:

Oh, I am sure they did negotiate this during their long recess.

I sure hope there was never 3 or more of them together though.

And if there wasn’t, then that just goes to show just how deceitful they really are - in conducting a meeting they weren’t legally allowed to have by manipulating the rules.

61. The Dude said on 1 May 2008 at 7:53 pm:

This is only a defeat if we pretend it wasn’t. Stewart should just come out and say that Principi, Nohe, May, and Jenkins gutted this thing and that voters should respond accordingly. If we just accept this defeat we lost. If we don’t accept it, it is just a temporary setback.

And I hope everybody here boycotts Nohe’s “Applicance Connection” business.

62. hello said on 1 May 2008 at 7:59 pm:

I agree with The Dude, this is a defeat. I could be wrong but I would have to think that most of the Police/illegal immigrant interactions would have to be when they are pulled over for one reason or the other. If they can’t detain someone they pull over and find that they are illegal that cancels out a bunch of chances to identify them.

63. PWCHomeowner said on 1 May 2008 at 9:00 pm:

There is no question this is a huge defeat. Previously the perception existed that given any violation an illegal immigrant may be detained for deportation or reported for ICE. In my observations, this produced quieter streets, a lot of guys riding bicycles, and far less cars parked in front of houses. Now they know they just need to avoid arrestable offenses and their safe. This is no longer a strong resolution. We need to re-band together and get the cameras and get the old resolution back.

64. CONVA said on 1 May 2008 at 9:31 pm:

Start an illegal alien labor pick-up at Marty’s business (Appliance Connection on the parkway). A bunch of illegals, drinking beer and pissing on his building may change his mind. Especially when his wife and kids visit him.

65. cdubbs said on 1 May 2008 at 9:41 pm:

And remember compadres, in the words of our immortal Chief Deano ” We are only interested in those illegal aliens who are breaking the law”.

66. starryflights said on 1 May 2008 at 9:47 pm:

Which is EVERY ILLEGAL alien!

67. NoVA Scout said on 1 May 2008 at 10:08 pm:

What exactly did the Chief do that has so many of you frothing at the mouth? Or is this just one of those things that when people get generally cranky they go beat on someone?

68. me-n-u said on 1 May 2008 at 10:53 pm:

Channel 7 vote totals as of 10:53 pm. Any surprise here?

No 20%
    Total: 719 votes

69. starryflights said on 1 May 2008 at 11:21 pm:

What is channel 7 vote? Do you have a link?

70. anon said on 1 May 2008 at 11:22 pm:

There actually aren’t that many people “frothing at the mouth” about Deane. If you read the thread, you’d know that.

Of course, I am wondering why he has already stopped enforcement on the previous resolution, since the new one won’t take effect until next week - if at all.

71. starryflights said on 1 May 2008 at 11:51 pm:

Never mind. I found the link and I voted.

72. Dolph said on 2 May 2008 at 12:20 am:

All 8 of the supervisors voted for the current resolution. Why is anyone holding one more accountable than the other if you don’t like the end result?

How many folks would have been furious if ‘their hard earned tax dollars’ went to buy cameras?

It was obvious that Mrs. Caddigan voted for the cameras to help the schools. That’s politics.

I see no consistency here with the rage here.

73. anon said on 2 May 2008 at 12:29 am:

The vote on the cameras was to be expected from Jenkins and Principi.

Marty and Mike are another story.

Mike and Marty spent their time scurrying around like rats during the recess, facilitating this agreement.

74. Dolph said on 2 May 2008 at 12:30 am:

I am trying to figure out why so many people here are looking at last night’s vote as a defeat. Do you not have most of your rule of law resolution? Do you not have your criminal alien unit still in tact, regardless of cost? Do you not have the 287g program at the ADC?

Must you win 100%? You know that isn’t possible because there simply isn’t the money without driving both residential and commercial taxes up even higher. People are already hurting.

You can all be happy you got this much achieved or you can moan and groan because you didn’t get every little thing you wanted.

The glass is half empty or is the glass half full.

75. Anonymous said on 2 May 2008 at 12:31 am:

We have to remember the chief of police does not work for us, answer to us or is accountable to us. We didn’t give him a badge and we can’t take it away, only the the Board of Supervisors can. And since the board is not up for election for another three years, and Charlie Deane is their golden boy, the board and Charlie Deane will let us huff and puff all we want and Deane will still be our chief for thoes three years.

76. Dolph said on 2 May 2008 at 12:32 am:

Anon, and what were the other rats doing? watching? or perhaps cutting their own deals and peddling influence?

77. Good Time Charlie said on 2 May 2008 at 12:47 am:

starryflights,
    You would think the pro-illegal immigration supporters would understand your examination of Deane’s statement and the objective breakdown of his words which you displayed at 9:47 p.m.

But a powerful public servant like Deane should not be making a statement which is such a contradiction in terms. But Prince William’s top L.E.O. is very talented in manipulating local politicians & the local media. Just as the Potomac News has routinely made a public apology to the police department after Deane has voiced his dissatisfaction with an opinion article which shows the department in a less than favorable light; the BOCS has backed down on another position they supported after Charlie Deane voiced opposition.

Say what you want about Deane. He has managed to manipulate the BOCS & the local media AGAIN. If anything he is a strategic thinker, and influencial local politician. That doesn’t make you safer than you were 20 years ago, but most of you are dealing with being witness to everyday crimes involving illegals while he builds his position as “a man of the people.”

He has survived many years in his current job building a position of power. Removing him at this point will only occur if elected officials begin to be replaced, and it becomes tied to the continued employment of Charlie Deane.

78. Tom Ridge said on 2 May 2008 at 7:27 am:

Dolph 12:20 a.m.:

Absolutely, that’s politics.

Maureen, Wally, Corey and John S. are a known quantity, when you talk to them, you know what your are going to get because they have an agenda; a constituent driven agenda by the way. So, love ‘em or not, they are following through on what they were sent to office to do by their Districts and in Corey’s case, the majority in the County.

Mike, Marty, Frank and John J. (even after 20+ years) are trying to be relevant. They want to be important too so they continue to try and dismantle everything that is put together at the will of the voters for no other reason than to try and prove they too are important and have a voice (even if it counters what their constituents want). These four have formed the “Axis of Snivel” and their actions will end up hurting us all in the end.

79. Tom Ridge said on 2 May 2008 at 7:28 am:

Correction: “you’re going to get”

80. Anonymous said on 2 May 2008 at 8:52 am:

cdubbs said on 1 May 2008 at 9:41 pm:

And like the DOJ attorney for New Jersey said the other day, “being in this country illegally is not a crime.” DUH! This guy is a Justice Department attorney????????

81. Had Enough said on 2 May 2008 at 8:56 am:

Funny! More like the “Axis of Weasel”!!!

82. JM said on 2 May 2008 at 9:07 am:

Riley siad:

“The four supervisors who voted to fund the cameras were Stewart, Stirrup, Caddigan and Covington. That tells you who was the most serious about the strictest enforcement.”

With all due respect, the vote to fund cameras had nothing to do with strict enforcement.

As I have stated before in another thread, Chief Deane’s request for cameras was just a red herring. He never wanted them, and he is not worried about protection from discrimination or harrasment suits. Otherwise he would have been asking for cameras for years to protect white officers who stop blacks or male officers who stop women–also situations that make officers vulnerable to driscimination and arrassment suits. If Deane wanted cameras, he would have looked to Homeland Security for funds once the BOCS voted not to fund them. He has never done any of those things.

Deane only asked for cameras in order to double the cost of the resolution, in hopes of making it expensive enough to be defeated.

Stewart, Stirrup, Caddingan and Covington voted for the cameras this time around to force Deane and Principi’s hand, and show the taxpayers that these clowns do not want law enforcement cameras at all. Instead, Deane and Principi want illegal aliens to continue to live in in PWC and commit their crimes without impediment.

83. anon said on 2 May 2008 at 9:35 am:

It’s not just Deane and Principi who “want illegal aliens to continue to live in PWC and commit their crimes without impediment.”

Marty Nohe and Mike May do, too. (And of course Jenkins, but that’s to be expected which is why I am not the least bit outraged at him.)

84. Dolph said on 2 May 2008 at 10:16 am:

JM,

How do you know whether Chief Deane has attempted to find grant money for cameras or not?

Had Chief Deane come to the BOCS and asked for camera money (and that is not just cameras but the software, hardware, and personnel to handle the data) what do you suppose he would have been told? My guess would be that they cost too much money. Sort of the same song and dance the fire and rescue folks have been told.

85. Anonymous said on 2 May 2008 at 11:31 am:

Deane is trying to protect the county from law suit which will surely come.
    Stewart and Stirrup are not smart enough to think about the fall out of their actions.

I would strongly encourage Stewart and Stirrup to keep trying to get rid of Deane. I’d like to see a new chairman and Gainesville district supervisor.

Oh by the way it has nothing to do with King Charlie. People trust him more than Sewart or Stirrup…

86. Riley said on 2 May 2008 at 1:50 pm:

Only those people who have not had to personally deal with trying to get Deane’s police dept. to do their job without considerable prompting trust Deane. I’m not even talking about the illegal alien issue. I’m talking basic police functions.

Why didn’t Deane seek cameras for police cars years ago? Why does he maintain that the reason why cameras are needed now is to protect the county from lawsuits when cameras can help provide evidence to prosecutors as well as help secure officers’ personal safety and security during traffic stops?

Deane has created a cushy loft for himself in this post and only cares about good PR. If you want to get him to actually act, nothing will get him to do it faster than the threat of bad PR.

87. The Real Advocator said on 2 May 2008 at 1:55 pm:

Dude, Hello, Homeowner: Re your posts yesterday evening about a defeat. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t, but there are lots of ways to skin a cat. We hardly had time to stretch this one out on the skinnin’ board and the smart pollos had already flown the coop. We’ve got more tricks up our sleeve for the rest of them.

Abide.

88. freedom said on 2 May 2008 at 4:23 pm:

Hey Bob Wills, go take a nap, ok? :) :)

89. Tom Ridge said on 2 May 2008 at 6:53 pm:

Ha Ha Ha. “Axis of Weasel!” You win. Funnier. I bet Woodbridge is looking for a real “regime change” in the next Supervisor election!