Why Few Trust The Mainstream Media

By Greg L | 26 May 2008 | Illegal Aliens, Prince William County | 52 Comments

Here’s a “balanced story” from the Associated Press on the effects of the Rule of Law Resolution in Prince William County.  Interview a bunch of businesses that catered to a market segment that included a substantial number of illegal aliens, talk to Mexicans Without Borders, get a quote from the ACLU, and then to balance it out get one snippet from Corey Stewart.  Let’s tally this one up:

Illegal Alien Supporters:

1. Pedro Vargas, owner of Club Video Mexico: 4 paragraphs.
  2. Salvador Caballero, pastor of Trono de Jehova Pentecostal Church: 2 paragraphs.
  3. Stephen Fuller, GMU: 2 paragraphs.
  4. Kent Willis, executive director of the Virginia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union: 2 paragraphs.
  5. Nancy Lyall, Legal Director of Mexicans Without Borders: 2 paragraphs.
  6. Salvador Moya, owner of Ricos Tacos Moya: 2 paragraphs.

Rule Of Law Resolution Supporters:

1. Corey Stewart: 2 sentences.

Go figure that this article looks as if it were written by the illegal alien lobby.  It was.

1. James Young said on 26 May 2008 at 10:47 pm:

Pretty good example of advocacy “journalism.”

2. wine please said on 26 May 2008 at 10:47 pm:

the only nice thing I can say is that at least they used the term “illegal immigrants”, which is a step-up from what is usually used. Otherwise, there’s not much I can say that is nice.

Too bad the media won’t actually help the legal immigrants understand the resolution better instead of inciting misinformation and fear.

3. AWCheney said on 26 May 2008 at 10:58 pm:

Wow, I thought that it was a great article. It shows that the resolution is really working! It would appear that the businesses being affected are those which obviously thrived on the business from the illegal alien community…it shows that attrition works. If these business won’t adapt to the serve the community as a whole, then they have very little business acumen and it’s not the responsibility of our local government to keep them afloat.

4. AWCheney said on 26 May 2008 at 10:59 pm:

OK, I recognize that I have errors (posted too quickly) in the above comment…so sue me.

5. josh said on 26 May 2008 at 11:11 pm:

This article looks suspect, who rents video’s these days? does not netflix have spanish videos? I think most videos these days have spanish subtitles at least, is there really a need or want from a spanish speaking video store? that cannot be a good business model for 2008 right?

the other place, taco’s moya? looks like a hole to me, I drove by the place the other day. looks nasty

the bottom line is that these business targeted a certain clientele who for one reason or another are leaving. could it be gas prices, the crappy economy or the resolution? I think the gas and the economy at this time have more to do with them leaving than the resolution. but the resolution likely would keep them from returning….

6. MP Resident said on 26 May 2008 at 11:50 pm:

“does not netflix have spanish videos?”

You need a computer to use Netflix. Additionally, you need to know how to use that computer.

“I think most videos these days have spanish subtitles at least”

Subtitles require literacy.

7. Anonymous said on 27 May 2008 at 5:56 am:

Walked around Leesylvania Park yesterday. Heard extremely little English spoken. Just like being in Wal-Mart at 10PM. I’d say 95% of those there were non English speaking. All were enjoying the day, but it was so strange to feel like an out sider in your own country. I imagine that eventually I would be feeling that way anywhere in the county if it weren’t for the actions the county took. I can only imagine the panic if an ICE vehicle were to have driven into the park. Now that would have been interesting!

8. DPortM said on 27 May 2008 at 6:16 am:

Vargas (the video guy) definitely won’t want to move to Washington County, in Utah. I have two brothers who live in Washington County in southern Utah and that county is taking a stand against illegal immigration. Washington County just passed a public procurement law to ensure that only legal residents get contractor work with the county:

“Contractors who do business with Washington County in Utah must ensure that employees are eligible to work in the United States.

There was applause this week when commissioners in St. George approved a resolution that says public money going to undocumented immigrants hurts legal residents.

Commissioner James Eardley said the residency rule will be in all future contracts in the fast-growing county, which has one of the highest expansion rates in the country in terms of population.

At least one person in the audience declared, ”It’s about time,” revealing tensions that have built in the area in regard to immigrant labor.”

9. Rick Bentley said on 27 May 2008 at 6:28 am:

I’m with AWCheney, I thought this was a very positive article. It shows the resolution is working and shows people in communities under seige that they can, in fact, make illegal aliens afraid of their criminal status and get them to leave. It reflects reality on the ground - sadness on the part of illegal aliens and those who market to them.

Hazelton got all the publicity, but what has happened here should encourage all Americans who live under seige that even if their politicians are out-of-touch elitists, it is possible to harness public anger and effect positive, non-violent change.

Pedro Vargas, don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Those who cater to illegal communities and then cry when that community leaves - to hell with you. In some countries the local residents would have burned your business and beaten you, please spare me your tears about the brutality of enforcing the “Rule of Law” enough to drive illegals away.

10. Dave in PWC said on 27 May 2008 at 7:13 am:

It seems the only places that are hurting are the ones that catered to the illegals. Too bad, so sad…

I know of two companies that are moving into the county, one from Fairfax with 33 employees and the company I work for is expanding here in the county as well.

11. jfk said on 27 May 2008 at 8:59 am:

The only sad thing is that Mr. Vargas is not moving to Arlington, Fairfax or Montgomery county. I am still hoping these high class areas, that look down their noses at PWC, get innundated with our “immigrants”. They need some “hands on” experience with the illegal alien problem.

BTW, I went by the Coverstone 7-Eleven this morning. There doesn’t seem to be a decline in the day laborer population. Who owns that vacant lot where these folks congregate? I’m just curious if the property owner is aware of the problem. My understanding from previous posts is that only the property owner can file a loitering complaint.

12. josh said on 27 May 2008 at 9:03 am:

MP,

I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt there. I didnt want some viewers to construe me a racist or a bigot because I implied that some people were not literate and such. honestly I think all video rentals are going the way of the 8-track due to internet video and other online rental services. I have not visited a rental place in about 5 years (possible more). it’s less hassle to buy the video at best buy than it is to go about the song and dance of renting it.

j

13. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 9:14 am:

Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people out there who don’t own a computer and don’t use the internet. As long as the alternatives to a video store require those things to use them…there will be video stores. (The so-called “digital divide” at play here).

As far as our illegal invaders from the south, the stats I saw indicated that literacy is a problem in that population.

14. kapahulu said on 27 May 2008 at 9:43 am:

I’ve noticed that many of these “immigrants” who have businesses that cater to illegal aliens have multiple stores in various states. Why don’t they take their entrepreneurial skills back to Mexico and do some good there? Heads up, Utah.

15. Advocator said on 27 May 2008 at 10:02 am:

It looked to me like the crowd at Coverstone this morning was ready to rumble.

16. Mando said on 27 May 2008 at 10:07 am:

“Who owns that vacant lot where these folks congregate?”

I’ve asked that question numerous times. It would be a perfect satelite office for ICE.

17. Anonymous said on 27 May 2008 at 10:20 am:

Advocator said on 27 May 2008 at 10:02 am:

Yup - just waiting for the camera crew to “show”…..
    As I said on another thread - this is just another example of “in your face, gringo” attitude.

18. James Young said on 27 May 2008 at 10:31 am:

DPortM — Having dealt with preemptions under the National Labor Relations Act in my professional capacity, I would have serious concerns about the legality of such a local ordinance.

On the other hand, the gentleman who is the subject of the article will and should have no trouble — if the facts are correct — since he stated that he is a legal immigrant. Under those circumstances, I presume he will be welcomed with open arms. Indeed — again,if the facts are correct — I am sorry to see him leave PWC.

19. James Young said on 27 May 2008 at 10:32 am:

Correction: “preemptions” should be “preemption.”

20. Anonymous said on 27 May 2008 at 10:49 am:

An article about the effects of the crackdown includes interviews with a lot of people who were affected by the crackdown. Good reporting.

21. BattleCat said on 27 May 2008 at 10:52 am:

Too bad we lack a proper Police force to roust these crowds of crapbags.

22. The Dude said on 27 May 2008 at 11:14 am:

I agree that actually the article came across as very positive for the rule of law resolution. Other than the bogus “reputation being hurt” argument from the clown at GMU (many positive business announcements since rule of law implemented for example), this article demonstrates how well the resolution is working and how positive the effects are on the community.

With gas prices moving higher, job hiring slowing, and illegal immigrant thieves stealing fixtures and copper wiring from the forclosed houses they bought with fraudulent loans, not many will shed a tear for the roach infested taco hut that is closing down.

Also, I didn’t realize that the services haven’t been denied yet to the illegals, as that part of the resolution kicks in on July 1. We should get rid of many more illegals this summer.

Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey good bye!

23. Anonymous said on 27 May 2008 at 12:15 pm:

The Dude said on 27 May 2008 at 11:14 am:

I don’t miss seeing the “roach coaches” on the roads either.

24. josh said on 27 May 2008 at 12:22 pm:

Check out the link above, this mirrors my story and my issues with illegal aliens. when it hits home it’s a bit more disturbing. I had a bit easier time tracking the individual taking my information and he really picked the wrong SSN to use I’ll tell you..

25. CONVA said on 27 May 2008 at 12:47 pm:

Boo-Hoo! Round ‘em up and ship ‘em out.

26. Advocator said on 27 May 2008 at 12:56 pm:

@ James Young: You said to DportM, “Having dealt with preemptions under the National Labor Relations Act in my professional capacity, I would have serious concerns about the legality of such a local ordinance.” I assume you were talking about the procurement ordinance that the county in Utah passed that requires their county contractors to check the legal status of their employees. Could you expand a little on your “concerns?” I proposed a similar resolution to our County Supervisors because I saw little or no litigative risk to requiring public contractors to verify the legal status of their employees.

27. Advocator said on 27 May 2008 at 1:05 pm:

@Battlecat: Totally agree. I saw at least one of PWC’s finest drive past the Mexicans Without Borders convention at Coverstone this morning without so much as batting an eyelid. The leadership of the PD needs to be re-focused.

There was a letter to the ed in the Pot news that said Jefe Deane’s preannounced weekend roadblocks were ineffectual. I wonder if he sent the locations out to any particular community with whom he’s been known to cultivate “good community relations.”

28. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 1:41 pm:

I’ve seen at least two of PWC’s finest drive right by pushcart vendors without even slowing down. Hell, I think they sped up.

29. James Young said on 27 May 2008 at 1:45 pm:

Sure, “Advocator”: my concern is that federal law already requires that employers verify the legal status of their employees, under the Simpson-Mazzoli “reform” passed in 1986, and imposes penalties on those employers who fail to do so adequately (not that it’s enforced very well). I think — and it’s just my opinion — that, much like local efforts to penalize serial violators of the National Labor Relations Act (never unions; always just employers; it has been tried where unions lead around politicians by their noses), I suspect that the federal courts would strike down such local efforts given existing federal penalties under Garmon and/or Gould preemption. Indeed, the Supreme Court has pending a case where California tried to bar state contractors from opposing unionization of their workforce. If oral argument was any indication (I was there), the rules of preemption will very likely get a strong boost in the next five weeks.

30. Advocator said on 27 May 2008 at 2:00 pm:

James Young: Thanks for the expo. The distinction in my proposed resolution is that contractors would be required to certify that they’ve complied with the law. The consequence of a false certification would be termination of the contract for default by the government. That is not a “penalty” in the sense of local efforts to penalize serial NLRB violators. It’s invoking the government’s inherent right to contract with whomever it chooses.

31. US Citizen said on 27 May 2008 at 3:30 pm:

And if you didn’t notice, all of the Hispanics quoted in the article are probably illegal aliens - holding long since expired “temporary” visas. For those citizens interested in reporting illegal aliens to ICE, check out the mentioned places of business catering to illegal aliens. Probably should report the same businesses as “establishments employing illegal aliens” too.

The Associated Press (AP) gave up on impartial news reporting years ago. They hire liberal reporters and leftwing journalists - and AP editors do NOTHING to screen out the leftwing bias. Typically, AP reporters “set up” their leftwing slant by packing their articles with liberals or liberal sympathisers.

I’m surprised the AP article did not quote one of the terrorists in Prince William County who belongs to the Zapatista Movement. Well, they did mention the “Mexicans Without Borders. . .”

32. Anonymoose said on 27 May 2008 at 4:50 pm:

Anonymous said:

I’m shaking my head…I just don’t get it…why don’t you guys just try to learn to speak some spanish? It’s not that hard. Just practice a few minutes every day and you’ll pick it up but by bit.

33. DPortM said on 27 May 2008 at 5:08 pm:

Anonymoose - because this is America and we speak English in America - that’s why! Why should I have to learn the language of these illegal alien invaders?

34. El Guapo said on 27 May 2008 at 6:50 pm:

35. americangal4ever said on 27 May 2008 at 9:39 pm:

Saw this on a New York times advertisement TONIGHT at 9 check your time slot by looking at local listings

PBS FRONTLINE presents: “CRIMES at the BORDER”
    “Crimes at the Border” will air Tuesday, May 27 at 9 p.m. on PBS (check local listings).

What can we do, to wake up the American people, to the fact that corruption on the Mexico side of border, in regard to drug, and human smuggling, is mirrored by an equal, if not greater, amount, of graft, and corruption, on the American side.

Most Americans seem to feel that these are Mexico’s problems, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Americans need to realize that it is all about the money, and organizations, such as the Texas Border Coalition, the El Paso City Council, along with the El Paso County Commissioners, fighting against the construction of the legislated border fence, are indirectly tied to, and supportive of, the ten’s of millions of dollars in illicit trade, that take place every day, along our border with Mexico.
    A PBS story about that talks about the
    You might want to watch corruption by our own border agents.

36. jfk said on 27 May 2008 at 10:03 pm:

El Guapo said on 27 May 2008 at 6:50 pm:
    “US Citizen wrote “all of the Hispanics quoted in the article are probably illegal aliens ”

The old me would have asked how he came to this conclusion. But I know better. If I were to ask, all I’d get would be a song and dance and probably some personal insults.”

Sorry my friend, but when you sling the bull@#$t you are likely to get hit with some too. Take it as well as you dish it out.

37. El Guapo said on 28 May 2008 at 5:42 am:

“Take it as well as you dish it out.”

Someone makes a claim that “all of the Hispanics quoted in the article are probably illegal aliens”, and all I did was ponder on what basis they determined the individuals’ legal status. You consider that dishing out bull.

I’ll tell you what bull is. Do you want to know? Bull is when someone claims they can determine someone’s legal status by nothing other then their appearance. That’s bull. And it’s dished out liberally around here.

38. Johnson said on 28 May 2008 at 12:37 pm:

Whatever. I found it interesting that the usual liberal sources, slants and allusions of racism were used to tell a non-story and it blew up in their faces. The resolution is working.

If I were to open an ethnically themed store and the group I wanted to target my sales at were to move, I would either move with them or sell something different.

39. jfk said on 28 May 2008 at 6:20 pm:

I was referring to your history on this site, EG, rather than this post exclusively. And I stand by what I wrote.

40. americangal4ever said on 28 May 2008 at 6:54 pm:

Sheriff accepting donations to fight illegal immigration Sunday, May 18 2008
    Cinco de Mayo and beaner and illegal and illegal immigrant and immigration and immiration and la raza and latin and latino and mexi and mexican and mexico ilanswp 4:59 am

The sheriff made news when he set up an illegal immigration hotline. Now he’s set up another one to help fund his efforts to fight it.

Earlier this week, the governor cut money more than $1 million from the sheriff’s budget to fund a statewide task force to hunt fugitives.

Arpaio said residents and people from out of state called to donate their own money to fund his fight against illegal immigration. “We’re receiving emails and calls from people that just were angry and just wanted to know how they can help.”

He said donations can be made out to MCSO Donation Fund and must be earmarked for illegal immigration.

Checks should be mailed to 100 West Washington, Ste. 1900, Phoenix, Ariz., 85003

KTAR-FM host Larry Gaydos hosted a radio-thon “Pennies for the Posse” on Wednesday night to raise money for the sheriff’s effort to fight illegal immigration.

41. El Guapo said on 28 May 2008 at 7:09 pm:

jfk won’t be able to specify a single incident where I dished out bull.

42. jfk said on 28 May 2008 at 7:43 pm:

Space does not allow for a full expose of your “dishing”. I suggest we try to find the posts where you did not sling the BS. That would probably be easier. I think virtually everyone on the site knows your MO by now; you come in, stir up trouble, and then bail out when you’ve aggravated everyone (to your delight). You can add your name to the list of others who do the same thing. For all I know, you could all be the same person. I regret that I have spent any significant time addressing you, as this only feeds your ego.

Your favorite trick is to pull the race card. You did it in this post too. You say that it is bull to determine a person’s immigration status by their appearance. So, in saying that you indirectly assert that US Citizen is a racist. However, the version of the article I am able to pull up only has a picture of the video store owner. The rest of the persons quoted are not pictured. Why assume that US Citizen is basing his statement on a person’s appearance? Further, US Citizen did not conclude that all the persons quoted in the story are illegal, he only raises the question. And I think it’s a valid question, as the only people who should fear the resolution are people who are are currently in this country illegally.

43. El Guapo said on 28 May 2008 at 8:02 pm:

That’s what I thought. Not one specific incident.

I’ve never used the race card. Claiming to be able to determine someone’s legal status by only their appearance has nothing to do with racism. It has a lot to do with ignorance though. And US Citizen said that “all of the Hispanics quoted in the article are probably illegal aliens ”.

US Citizen is free at any time to state why she or he believes that. As expected though all I’m gettin’ is the same old song and dance.

44. jfk said on 28 May 2008 at 8:40 pm:

Add liar to your resume. “I’ve never used the race card.” What a crock!

45. El Guapo said on 29 May 2008 at 5:06 am:

Bottom Line: the guy said that I dish out bull; I asked for a specific reference; he comes back with a song and dance and an insult.

46. Anonymous said on 29 May 2008 at 3:48 pm:

Another presumable illegal attacks a girl:

47. jfk said on 29 May 2008 at 10:34 pm:

No song, no dance. I don’t have time to search the entire website. And liar for you is not an insult, just an adjective.

Adios.

48. El Guapo said on 30 May 2008 at 5:49 am:

He makes accusations that he’s not prepared to back up with evidence.

49. jfk said on 30 May 2008 at 9:01 am:

I’ll be watching you. The ugliness will come out again; you just can’t help yourself.

50. El Guapo said on 30 May 2008 at 10:03 am:

Yet you can’t mention one specific incident of “ugliness”

51. AWCheney said on 30 May 2008 at 2:20 pm:

How about when you attacked me PERSONALLY after I posted a comment in defense of you…and refused to offer either an apology or retraction after it was pointed out, not only by me but others, that you had NOT read my comment correctly (you REALLY twisted it around)? You were pretty ugly then and, as far as I’m concerned, have been ever since, El Guapo!

52. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 2 Jun 2008 at 12:55 pm:

Why do you guys continue to acknowledge the presence of El Guapo, indigenous and others that come in here and make trouble? If you do not recognize them, they have no one to respond to. By acknowledging them, you give them credibility. Why stoop to their level by responding to them? I am just curious is all. I have learned that if I do not respond to a particular person, they will eventually get bored and leave. The same thing will be true of those who come in here just to stir trouble.

Acknowledging their presence gives them power. It is time to turn off the electricity!! :)