Electeds In Manassas Park Desert Their Party

By Greg L | 27 May 2008 | Manassas Park | 31 Comments

In case anyone ever was unclear about how dedicated the Republican elected officials in Manassas Park City were to the principles of the Republican Party or the Manassas Park Republican Committee, Monday’s email should end any remaining confusion.  All Republican members of the Governing Board running for re-election in November, including Mayor Frank Jones, have decided that they will seek re-election as independent candidates.  These “Republicans In Name Only”, having obtained their current positions at least in part because of their affiliation with the Republican Party now think they can just throw away any remaining pretense of their adherence to the ideas of low taxes, small government and supporting free enterprise.  Then have the temerity to tell the local unit chairman that they’d still appreciate the endorsement of the Republican Party.

“Bill [Wren],

After further consideration, I have decided to run as an independent and not seek the Republican nomination. Frank [Jones], Bryan [Polk], Keith [Miller], and I have decided to run as an independent team. I would recommend and appreciate your and the partys endorsement of us as independents.

Regards,

Bill Treuting”

I’m pretty sure that there are folks seeking the Republican nomination, and are actually interested in following the principles of the Republican Party, unlike this tax-and-spend crowd.  If there are Republican nominees, the chances of any independents being endorsed by the Republican Party are absolutely zero, as such an endorsement would violate the state party plan.  At least if there’s no choice here, the local committee will likely decline this rather outrageous request, er “recommendation”.  Nice to see independent candidates dictating policy to the local Republican Party unit Chairman, isn’t it?.

Jones, Polk and Miller have played a major role in approving extravagant capital improvement projects at the same time the tax base has been eroding. This has saddled this city with increasing debt service demands at the same time residential tax assessments have declined, forcing the city into inflating the value of local real estate during the past several years in an if not unlawful, then at the very least wrongful attempt to protect city revenues.  Then the city started trying to defend their capital improvement and redevelopment plans by harassing local businesses to the point of driving them out of this jurisdiction, further eroding the tax base of the city.  As a result residents in Manassas Park are paying significantly more in property taxes than surrounding jurisdictions.  In 2008, the tax rate was 20% higher than Prince William County.  Next year that figure will exceed 25%, and that doesn’t even take into account how outrageously high residential assessments are in Manassas Park.

Is there some sort of personal financial gain that will accrue to these three should the City of Manassas Park go into bankruptcy?  I’d rather see other candidates emerge for Mayor and the Governing Board so we never have the opportunity to find that out.

1. Anonymoose said on 27 May 2008 at 8:15 am:

Greg said:

Greg says he believes in:
    1.Low Taxes
    2.Small Gubmint
    3.Free Enterprise

But his crusade against brown people and brown culture has resulted in:
    1. Massive spending of tax dollars to refer a few immigrants to ICE. Raising taxes might be necessary to continue the pogrom.
    2.Giving the government the authority to harass and detain US citizens for not having their ‘papers’ on them at all times.
    3.Huge damage to free enterprise now and for many years to come. Latino owned businesses have had a huge hit. They’re the fastest growing economic sector. They probably won’t be coming back for years.

It is not they who have left the Repub party. It is the Repub party that is committing suicide. That suicide is clear when you look at how Greg’s rhetoric is contradicted by the results of his actions.

Goodbye, Repubs…it was nice knowing you…good luck in 2016.

2. Contrarian said on 27 May 2008 at 8:19 am:

The Republican party has changed. It no longer adheres to its historical principles of small Government, Free Markets, a balanced budget, and individual liberty that I grew up admiring. I understand why people leave the party. I chose that course during a PWC Republican Committee meeting when I realized that “these people” didn’t believe what I believed in (or, in what i believe to be traditioanl Republican values). I did not want to belong to a party that represented the Religious Rignt, I wanted to be a member of a party that represents all of the people. I am now an Conservative leaning independant. I think many Americans are coming to the same conclusion.

I’m not criticizing those who remain in the Party as it has evolved. I am saying that I understand those who have left it to take another path.

I can’t speak for these three candidates as I don’t know their motives, record, or history; however, I hope someday we true Conservatives may “take our party back.”

3. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 8:58 am:

Ahh, I get it. “I don’t like how the game is played so I’m taking my ball and going home”.

4. Contrarian said on 27 May 2008 at 9:33 am:

No… just changed games. No one has to play in a game they don’t like.

5. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 9:52 am:

You could help change how the game is played. But, I guess, it’s easier to complain about it.

If the Republican party is so off-track I have to ask you how you think it got that way. Any ideas?

6. MdMan said on 27 May 2008 at 10:10 am:

Moose - please enlighten me on what “brown” culture is. It’s a serious question: How does it differ from American culture? Who exactly are “brown” people?

Does “brown” culture” hold as a core value invading another nation and then violating any law that is not convenient to it? How about refusing to learn the native language of the new host country - is that an example of “brown” cultural pride? Is the machismo degradation of women and raping of little girls a “brown” culture trait? Are gangs part of initiation into “brown” adult hood, similar to maybe say, a Bar Mitvah? Is having more kids than you could possibly care for economically, and then abandoning them to seek a better life elsewhere a “brown” cultural distinction.

I’m just trying to figure out what the updise is to your so called “brown” culture. Thanks.

7. Contrarian said on 27 May 2008 at 11:15 am:

What MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 9:52 am, “how you think it got that way. Any ideas?”

That’s a multi-dimensional question with quite a few answers. In my case, I became uncomfortable with the influence of the religious right on party politics. I resigned from the VA Republican Party, the PWC Republican Committee, and the RNC the day I sat in on a PWC meeting to nominate a member of the school board. The questions for candidates didn’t concern educational qualifications, they concerned the candidate’s position on abortion. I found making a medical procedure that should be between a woman and her Doctor a litmus test for school board membership inconsistent with my personal beliefs. I have found the Religious right to be inflexible regarding acknowledging opinions other than their own, the “small tent full of folks like us” strategy. I’m looking for a “bigger tent.”

As I’m sure you know, the Republican party is loosing both membership and popular support. There are many reasons; however, the short answer is that the party has been taken over by a few narrow interests that do not represent mainstream American values or thinking. My example is but one of many. The fact that we have incompetent leadership who took this country into an ill-conceived war based upon lies to the American public doesn’t help. The fact that the party took us from a balanced budget into a $9.5 trillion deficit didn’t help. The absence of an energy policy after eight years probably didn’t make things any better. A total disregard for the facts surrounding global warming or stewardship of our natural resources probably contributed to my view a bit. I guess, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more!” I am not alone.

Note that I didn’t switch to the Democratic party, I became an independent free to support the candidate who best reflects my beliefs and ideals. The nature of our current political system ensure that we have the “best Government that money can buy.” I’m a bit disenchanted by this.

8. tired of messes said on 27 May 2008 at 11:47 am:

Contrarian & others

The P.W. Repb. Party got this way because a few far Right took over and pushed over everyone else any way they could.

They worked their way around Roberts Rules of Order to meet their needs.

They slandered Repb. in office and never once attended a county meeting or took time to talk to those elected.

They wheeled and dealed to get what they wanted. They are not true Republicans,as I have known the Party to be.

I also left,as there was no way to save what was going on. The best thing was to let it die their own death.

One of the biggest worms was the one who wormed his way into a $70000 dollar a year job. He twisted and turned at the convention a year ago,along with McQuigg to get Fasil as the candidate. Well guess what they lost the office to a Democrat. This Democrat doesn’t seem to be to bad. Surly better than what Fasil would have been. You bet I was a Lucas supporter.

In one year they went through $50,000 that Davis gave the Committee.Most of it was in redoing the inside of their meeting place. This was not necessary,so the big spenders spent all that was available.

Perhaps when all of this kind vanish into thin air,we can get leadership that will bring back our Party.

Just like we need our County back.

9. Anonymous said on 27 May 2008 at 11:51 am:

” Nice to see independent candidates dictating policy to the local Republican Party unit Chairman, isn’t it?.”

Are you joking? How about a blogger dictating policy to the County BOS Chairman?

10. Arlington Minority said on 27 May 2008 at 11:55 am:

Sounds a lot like the RINOs in Arlington, where the Republican brand is looked upon as a campaign albatross. Only highly self-assured politicians avoid flight to the independent label.

11. 999 said on 27 May 2008 at 12:09 pm:

MdMan said on 27 May 2008 at 10:10 am:

Don’t hold you breath awaiting a reply from moose re his “brown culture TRIPE.”
    He doesn’t have a leg to stand on with his assenine comments. You see he made the comment about immigrants and not about ILLEGAL ALIENS. They gotta throw the race card in as they don’t have a leg to stand on as to why the resolution was passed and why the LATINO business is dropping off. NO ILLEGALS, NO BUSINESS! 75% of the American people want the ILLEGALS gone and the movement is growing. NO JOBS, NO MONEY = NO ILLEGALS.

12. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 12:39 pm:

“I became an independent free to support the candidate who best reflects my beliefs and ideals.”

As far as the MP city council members who are running as independents, it is my belief that they are doing so not out of any ideological idealism but purely for political expediency.

13. AWCheney said on 27 May 2008 at 1:56 pm:

OK MP Resident, and I know who you are, then put your money where your mouth is…run for City Council or Mayor and bring some other folks with you.

Insofar as political expediency of the current council is concerned, THEY were the ones who took the Republican Party in Manassas Park down…with a little help from their friends. Now that they have made “Republican” virtually a dirty word in the Park, they’ve GOT to bail!

14. AWCheney said on 27 May 2008 at 2:07 pm:

By the way, MP Resident, you know that I mean that seriously and that I’m not being a wise-***. I really think that you should run, along with a number of the others who have cared enough to post regularly on the blog. YOU KNOW that the Park (particularly its residents) will not survive under more of the same.

15. Contrarian said on 27 May 2008 at 3:01 pm:

What MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 12:39 pm, “My view is that if you don’t like something, work to change it. What you’ve done vis-a-vis the Republican party is akin to those who move out of Manassas Park because they don’t like the current government instead of working to change it.”

That’s one approach. The folks that moved out of Manassas Park exercised their free choice. They were neither right nor wrong. Likewise, I have no desire to change the Republican Party. In fact, I’m disenchanted with the entire “two party” system that forces Americans to take sides. Life is short… I plan to spend it as an independent voting for the folks that I consider best qualified regardless of party affiliation.

I am under no obligation to “work to change” something so (IMHO) fundamentally flawed by its nature and have no compulsion to do so. Revolution generally occurs from outside the system as those inside are too vested in the status quo.

So, why don’t you run for something, MP Resident? If your values fundamentally reflect mine (or offer the closest fit when compared to the other candidates), I’ll be happy to vote for you.

16. Anchor Baby said on 27 May 2008 at 3:35 pm:

While I can’t vote for MP Resident since I don’t live in MP I can tell you from personal experience he’s the right man for the job.

Now, having said that. Whomever is elected into office needs to concentrate on slashing services and bringing back fiscal responsibility.

I hope that the residents of MP take that position seriously.

17. Live Life and Prosper said on 27 May 2008 at 7:36 pm:

Anchor Baby…

You state that “whomever is elected into office [in Manassas Park] needs to concentrate on slashing services and bringing back fiscal responsibility.”

Why?

Some folks may be willing to pay more to get more. Part of the wrecking of the Republican brand at the local level has to do with the perverted obsession with low/lower/lowest taxes at the expense of quality of life, with example (a) being the refusal of Republicans at the state level to do anything about transportation because it will actually cost us something (i.e. taxes and/or fees).

Republicans love the sound bites about family values and low taxes, but the Republican leadership would be happy to see you waste years of your life sitting in traffic rather than asking/allowing us to spend one penny of new/bad taxes to actually make our lives better. It is the ultimate arrogance for these so-called leaders to rob us our lives in service of their party dogma.

Republican leaders have basically abandoned us, and not the other way around.

18. AWCheney said on 27 May 2008 at 7:57 pm:

Live Life and Prosper, you must be talking about someplace other than Manassas Park. THEIR City Council never saw a tax increase or a spending project that they didn’t like! They have far and away the highest real estate taxes in the state combined with arguably the most absurdly high real estate appraisals at a time when probably all jurisdictions have local government appraisals which are far higher than their market appraisals…and a continually rising debt to boot! I seriously doubt that the people of Manassas Park could afford, or would desire, more of the same.

19. Anchor Baby said on 27 May 2008 at 8:07 pm:

Traffic issues cannot be directly fixed by the government nor is it really in my best interest that an attempt is made to. When government spends a check it’s usually to the detriment of the public purse.

Traffic issues are obviously multi-dimensional.

Throwing money into a traffic pool won’t fix things. Comprehensive reforms need to take place.

Building additional roads or other traffic control devices will not help things and may seek to just hinder them.

Now, I have a question for you LL&P. How has the republican party (or any politican or party) robbed your life or deprived you of years of life? Do you not choose where to work, where to live and where to recreate? It would seem reasonable to me that if you have such an issue with traffic that you’d either move to be closer to work or go out less to do your part to lessen traffic for everyone else. After all, that’s the same as asking others to pay more in terms of taxes to make your trips shorter.

As I said above, services need to be slashed and cut or outright be ridden of. School budgets are full of fat. As well as emergency services. Social services are obviously the big target.

20. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 10:11 pm:

“Republican leadership would be happy to see you waste years of your life sitting in traffic”

No. I’d personally like to see VDOT and other agencies responsible for our roads operate more effectively. That does NOT require more money; that requires them to more effectively use what they have. In other words, we should be getting better results for the money we spend.

For example, how long has the traffic signal at Yorkshire Lane and 28 been malfunctioning? I’ll bet you didn’t even know it was. Most people don’t. I, however, happen to know how they’re supposed to work and this one isn’t. The specific problem is that it detects vehicles on Yorkshire Lane when there aren’t any, and needlessly stops traffic on 28. I complained about it to VDOT over a year ago and whatever they did to fix the problem, if anything, didn’t work. I complained about it again and again nothing was done.

You can drive on route 7 at any time past midnight and see the same thing. Half the signals on that road have malfunctioning loop detectors, which is painfully evident when it’s 1am, you’re one of the few cars on the road, and you’re getting stopped at every single traffic signal for non-existent side-street traffic.

If I as a casual observer can see the problem, what it’s VDOT’s excuse when they have technical visibility into the workings of these traffic controllers (their so-called “Smart Signal System” which appears to be pretty dumb to me) and they are either unaware of the problem or unwilling to fix it?

Needless to say, a malfunctioning traffic signal has a detrimental effect on traffic.

That’s just one specific example, but the one that is the most obvious because it’s easy enough to observe the workings of a traffic signal.

If the things that are obvious aren’t working right, what about the things that are not so obvious…?

21. MP Resident said on 27 May 2008 at 10:18 pm:

“Business needs to be encouraged to move into non-traditional areas such as the suburbs. Maybe tax incentives for such a move.”

How about letting employees work at home? The Federal Government needs to do more along these lines–they are the MAJOR employer in this area. I remember back in 1996 when the FedGov shut down because they didn’t pass a budget–traffic on I66 was much lighter than normal those days.

How about tax incentives for bringing broadband internet access to areas that don’t have it, so that those who live in those areas can work from home? I can’t work at home from a dialup connection, yet there are many places in the far DC suburbs that can’t get anything better! And these are the people who have the worst commutes, too.

22. sahdman said on 27 May 2008 at 10:59 pm:

Where is all the money from the 2002 1/2 cent sales tax hike going? I thought it was for transportation. Now they want more. Its funny how they find the money for every “humanitarian” cause they can think of, but when it comes to helping out the average Joe trying to go to and from work some how they can’t come up with the money. Like buying a big screen t.v. and then wondering where the rent money went.

Anyone running who would get the rule of law resolution enacted in Manassas Park would get my vote. (Republican or Democrat) I noticed MS13 (MSX3 as they spray it now, I guess it looks classier that way kind of like one of those luxury suv’s mkz, cts, ect…) is spray painting there logo on the 7-11 right outside of the new police station. I guess they are testing their limits. These politicians and gang members need to go.

I believe it was 2002 when they raised the sales tax.

23. lady liberty said on 28 May 2008 at 12:50 am:

Lots of chuckles tonight. I respect your right to voice your opinions folks but MP woes dont affect you if you do not live in the city. Cut services- which ones- police- fire- medical????
    a fat school budget- I wish…MP citizens need to make their choices as to how they want their money spent- I agree there needs to be fiscal responsibility but I live in MP and want fully staffed and equipped Fire. Police and EMT’s. I also want to be able to sell my house someday and retire and I cant do that with overcrowded schools with poor performance. An old adage- you get what you pay for…very true when it comes to local services…

24. KP said on 28 May 2008 at 10:48 am:

It takes 1/2 hour to get from MP to the Fx. County on Rt 28 every morning. It is about 4 miles. There is no bike route that is safe to get there either. So what do we have to do? Sit in this stupid backup that goes all the way to Centreville every damn morning. Same goes for the commute back to MP. How do you fix that? Adding another route to Fx would help, but I know as soon as they open it, it would be in the same shape as 28. Going through Clifton is too far out of the way and wastes more gas to get to the same place. Why can’t they make a lane strictly for bikes/scooters/motorcycles/pedestrians on 28?

VDOT has no immediate plans (I think by 2025 there will be a bike plan - but I wouldn’t count on it and I shouldn’t have to wait 17 years to use it). MP doesn’t seem to have any input/pull to the surrounding county areas.

25. MP Resident said on 28 May 2008 at 11:25 am:

“I respect your right to voice your opinions folks but MP woes dont affect you if you do not live in the city.”

Sorry, but that is not true. Many problems cross jurisdictional boundaries and it is in our best interest to work together with other jurisdictions to solve them. Pooling resources to solve problems and share information helps to avoid duplication of effort, and is ultimately more cost effective for everyone. The Northern Virginia Regional Gang Taskforce an example of such a program.

“I agree there needs to be fiscal responsibility but I live in MP and want fully staffed and equipped Fire. Police and EMT’s.”

As does everyone.

“I also want to be able to sell my house someday and retire and I cant do that with overcrowded schools with poor performance.”

You can’t do that with a bunch of empty, foreclosed, decaying houses next door either. (On the other hand you can’t do it either with a house that has 20 people living in it next door) This is a big problem facing Manassas Park, as well as other jurisdictions.

“An old adage- you get what you pay for…very true when it comes to local services…”

That’s simplistic at best. What you get for the money depends on how effectively that money is utilized. Expenditures need to be scrutinized to ensure that they are really needed and that they will provide value commensurate with the amount of money spent.

26. MP Resident said on 28 May 2008 at 11:29 am:

“Sit in this stupid backup that goes all the way to Centreville every damn morning. Same goes for the commute back to MP. How do you fix that? Adding another route to Fx would help, but I know as soon as they open it, it would be in the same shape as 28.”

I’ve thought about adding lane control signals and making the center turn lane a reversible lane. (It would continue to function as a center turn lane during non-peak hours). I’ve seen this done elsewhere; I believe it could work here. That, at least, solves the problem inside PW county…for the Fairfax side there is plenty of median to make 28 six lanes till the PW County line.

27. MP Resident said on 28 May 2008 at 11:45 am:

While I am thinking about these things I believe the left-turn load onto east New Braddock Rd from 28 south probably warrants a dual-left turn lane there.That left-turn lane is frequently backed up beyond the pavement; VDOT could add a little more and restripe it to make the lane longer as an interim solution. This lane seems to get a lot of traffic in both the AM and PM rush, so this improvement may help traffic in both directions.

28. AWCheney said on 28 May 2008 at 1:23 pm:

Actually Lady Liberty (you’re that gal from New York that spoke at the first citizens time on the resolution, aren’t you…move here recently?), the people of Manassas Park have been paying through the nose forever, and not necessarily for services.

The current City Council is continually building monuments to itself, whether the infrastructure is needed or not, at exorbitant costs (considerably higher cost per square foot than other comparable local government projects). I’ve said it before, this Council has never seen an expenditure it didn’t like…as long as it doesn’t come out of their pocket. The people of Manassas Park are going to be paying for this for generations.

29. lady liberty said on 29 May 2008 at 1:14 am:

OOPS, sorry MP Resident and Aw, sometimes I type faster than I think,, you are both corerect and I agree with most of what you both said in reponse to my last comments. Actually, I was responding to Anchor Baby’s comments…

30. lady liberty said on 29 May 2008 at 1:15 am:

AWCHENEY, I answered your question under a different thread- no I am not that person and do in fact support the Resolution…

31. AWCheney said on 29 May 2008 at 3:13 am:

Thanks for responding lady liberty. I responded to your response on that other thread.