Shooter Arrested Near Day Laborer Site

By Greg L | 28 May 2008 | Crime, Prince William County | 22 Comments

The Potomac News reports that a suspect in the recent shooting at Global Foods was arrested this past Sunday, and lo and behold, where was this suspect arrested?  Rather close to an informal day laborer center at the 7-11 on Coverstone Drive, of all places.  Now why does it not surprise me that suspects wanted for attempted murder are being picked nearby day laborer centers in Prince William County?

Carlos Ernesto Morales-Zuniga, of no fixed address, was charged with malicious wounding and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, said Officer Erika Hernandez, Prince William police spokeswoman.

His arrest came after police received a call around 7:30 a.m. Sunday that a possible suspect in the shooting was in the 7400 block of Stream Walk Lane near Manassas, police said.

The article does not mention the immigration status of this suspect, and in the absence of any information in this regard it would be wrong to characterize this individual as an illegal alien.  If this individual is in fact an illegal alien I’m pretty sure that information will become available in the near future, so there’s no real reason to speculate at this point.  Given that this individual was arrested in close proximity to a day laborer site, and had no fixed address, one does have substantial reason to wonder, however.

Prince William County Police steadfastly ignore the rampant violations of state and federal law which occur every morning at day laborer sites in Prince William County, including this one.  Ignoring the violation of some laws that local authorities don’t seem to be interested in enforcing encourages unlawful behavior that they then absolutely cannot ignore, putting county residents at increased risk of becoming victims of violent crime.  This latest incident only serves to demonstrate the dangers that our local law enforcement authorities are deliberately imposing on county residents.  We cannot pick and choose which laws we seek to enforce, we must enforce them all, lest criminal “safe zones” like this encourage more tragedy in our community.

1. KP said on 28 May 2008 at 12:21 pm:

Why don’t they build a police sub-station right there next to 7-11? That would surely clean up this kind of trash. Hmm… hanging out at 7-11 with a gun. Picking up day labor there may get you a felony or worse … dead.

2. VA_Magoo said on 28 May 2008 at 12:28 pm:

And according to Fox news 5 last night, Woodbridge Route One corridor is falling apart becuase of the the “crackdown” of illegals in the county. They showed pictures of the closed and boarded up Color Tile which has been closed for almost 5 years now……

Apparently Rico Taco house is reporting a loss of 50% of its income. Oh and the Mexican video store is reporting a decline in customers as well. Strange how they didnt ask any non latino business owners how things have been going since the crack down (which is only what 3 months long now and already they have taken steps to remove some of the teeth of the resolution.)

They did interview whats her name of the Mexican’s Without Borders.

The entire story was slanted so far towards the illegals that I no longer have any respect for any news reported on Fox.

I am proud of the steps we have taken in Prince William County, and hope the “illegals” continue to leave PW for save havens in Fairfax and Arlington Counties. I am glad to see home sales starting to climb in Prince William, I dont see that happening anywhere else in the area.

I wish they could report on th the good that is coming from the un-doumented leaving the area. Perhaps we will actually be able to use our hospital again.

3. KP said on 28 May 2008 at 12:42 pm:

What, no nanny? Italy thinks again on immigrants

The new measures will make illegal immigration a jailable offence, confiscate apartments rented to illegal immigrants, speed up expulsions, extend the time they can be held and turn some camps into detention centers.

I don’t see a problem here.

4. Rick Bentley said on 28 May 2008 at 2:14 pm:

As someone who lives a few blocks away from the Coverstone 7-11, of course it’s great that it attracts criminals and lawlessness to our area.

5. The Dude said on 28 May 2008 at 2:19 pm:

As for Rico Taco house maybe part of the reason they are going under is they have had up to 5 critical health food violations during a single inspection last year:

Including other critical violations during other inspections…

6. ladyxx said on 28 May 2008 at 2:27 pm:

Maybe ICE should put a field office on the corner near the 7-11. That would send the illegals running in all directions. :-)

7. KP said on 28 May 2008 at 2:37 pm:

Not to mention, the last time I tried to get food in a place like this, I felt like I was in a foreign country and not at all welcomed. I walked out to a more familiar place. Seems like a lot of Hispanic business along the 28 corridor have gone out of business as well. Catering to illegals may have been much of their mainstay as they can’t seem to stay in business without them.

8. JM said on 28 May 2008 at 2:42 pm:

Didn’t the PWC cops check his immigration status? Or was that left up to the officer’s discretion?

9. Rick Bentley said on 28 May 2008 at 2:57 pm:

I’ve had that same experience as KP. My friends and I went to a new Taco place that replaced Mehak indian on Rt. 29 in Merrifield. We were given small paper menus while the Spanish-speaking guys at better tables had laminated ones with more items on them. The waitress was deliberately unfriendly and I got the distinct impression they did not want gringos eating there. I’ve gone to other such places that were friendly, but there are places that aren’t.

10. BattleCat said on 28 May 2008 at 3:22 pm:

Come on, now, this is an honest hard-working person that’s doing a job Americans won’t do! Come on out, all you apologists, we’re waiting!

11. me-n-u said on 28 May 2008 at 3:24 pm:

I frequent El Toltega (sp.?) good food, in PWC and they cater to EVERYONE. I don’t see that the resolution has hurt their business. Although I could be wrong.

12. BattleCat said on 28 May 2008 at 3:37 pm:

me-n-u,

Is that Tolteca, near the Verizon Wireless on Sudley? That place is YUMMY! Let’s be honest, the illegal immigrant crackdown won’t really put any sort of hurt on business in PWC….we’ll be just fine, thank you very much! I do hear more rumblings in Maryland as they get our cast-offs. They’re starting to get the craps of the influx. Enjoy!

13. manassascityresident said on 28 May 2008 at 3:50 pm:

El Tolteca is a GREAT restaurant. Employees there are friendly and they’ve been around for years! I think they’ll be around for many more!

14. manassascityresident said on 28 May 2008 at 3:51 pm:

Actually, I think it’s LA Tolteca….

15. DPortM said on 28 May 2008 at 4:02 pm:

Yes, it is La Tolteca - across the street from Manaport Shopping Center. The food is great and the employees are great.

16. Anonymoose said on 28 May 2008 at 4:43 pm:

KP said:

I don’t see a problem here.

Hey KP, real americans believe in freedom. I suggest you move to china. They’re looking for a few good fascists.

17. manassascityresident said on 28 May 2008 at 5:00 pm:

Anonymoose said on 28 May 2008 at 4:43 pm:
    “Hey KP, real americans believe in freedom.”

Key word being AMERICAN, as in legal citizen….

18. jfk said on 28 May 2008 at 5:48 pm:

Speaking of great Mexican restaurants, does anyone remember the Mexacali in old town Manassas? It was the best. My daughter still remembers the man who dressed up in marachi garb and played the guitar and sang. They closed down about six or seven years ago and I think a sandwich shop opened in the small space they had.

19. DPortM said on 28 May 2008 at 5:52 pm:

Anonymoose - the article KP posted dealt with Italy - not America!

20. josh said on 28 May 2008 at 7:23 pm:

that taco’s moya place sounds just yummy! nothing like a rat-meat taco or burrito to brighten your day and warm your tummy!

21. Rick Bentley said on 28 May 2008 at 9:22 pm:

La Tolteca is a gteat restaurant and the employees are on the ball there. I’m not sure how we got on this topic but La Tolteca is a great place. And they did NOT support that boycott last year. I checked them for a sign, I would have stopped eating there if they went for that.

22. skeptimaniac said on 29 May 2008 at 8:19 am:

Anonymoose, or annoyingmoose. When you reference Americans be sure to capitalize that greatest of labels. Gracias