But Can The Employees Speak English?

By Greg L | 16 June 2008 | Local Economy | 94 Comments

On Route 28 in Yorkshire, there used to be a grocery store called “Il Primero Mercado”.  Now that building is being re-branded as “Shoppers International” in an effort to broaden their market appeal beyond simply the shrinking market segment in the area that can only speak Spanish.  As businesses learn that utter dependence on a market demographic that includes a substantial number of illegal aliens is not a recipe for long-term success, more and more of these businesses are making the transition to try to attract customers that speak English.  Hopefully this is more than a signage change, and you can actually be understood in English in this store.

It would be awfully nice to not feel like we’re no longer in a foreign country in many parts of Prince William County.  Let’s hope other businesses pick up on this idea and start accelerating the trend.

1. Howard the Duck said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:10 am:

Every time I visit that chain, I cannot use the parcel pickup line and have to take my basket out to the car. That is because of all the slobs that park in a fire lane. The parcel pickup line is full of parked cars and standing cars and the manager says he calls the police, but the cars come back after the police leave. I don’t see the police write tickets for this either. This is in Fairfax County BTW.

Hopefully the grocery chains can decide wether they are a convenince store that sells ice and lottery tickets or a full service grocery store. In an effort to help them sort this out, I emailed the district manager, as I don’t get anywhere with the store manager. If you see cars parked in the parcel pickup line, complain.

2. Rick Bentley said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:18 am:

Did El Primero support that boycott last year?

3. Rick Bentley said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:21 am:

I see they’re marketing in English … yeah that’s good to see.

Personally every time I see someone marketing something in Spanish I feel the urge to tear the sign out or rip the posting off … Spanish is in and of itself a language like any other but the way it’s been used in PWC in recent years is as an illegal code used by criminals to create their own subculture.

4. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:27 am:

It is aggravating trying to get the groceries from the parcel pickup lane in Manassas as well. I have been there waiting for my wife to come out of the store. She will call me and let me know she is finishing up in the check out and I will pull around to get her. I have been run off a couple of times just as she walks out the door. I am there less than 2 minutes since it doesn’t take that long to walk out of the store. It is aggravating to watch people hit the emergency flashers and walk into the store.

I have been banned from grocery shopping because I do not have the patience for the little rug rats that roam/run free in the store.

5. Anonguy said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:31 am:

I guess that bobbel-head Annabel Park and Eric “I am a guilt-ridden liberal” hadn’t gotten around to holding one of their “let’s have a party to symbolically combat racism so we can feel better about ourselves” events at this grocery.

6. monticup said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:39 am:

Why can’t they learn that 1) we do not leave our cars running in unauthorized places and 2) we do not allow multiple children to run amok in supermarkets? Is it because they do not come from a civil society? Laws and rules and common courtesy mean nothing to them. Arghh.

7. DPortM said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:44 am:

Greg, I think it’s actually Shoppers International.

Rick, I couldn’t agree more - signs that aren’t in English aggravate me to no end. I have ceased shopping at places that list their products in English and Spanish.

8. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:46 am:

I have hit one of the little bugers rounding the corner at Shoppers. I peered over the cart and told them to stop running and to find their mother. I guess because I didn’t feel responsible for the accident, I was less than human. I look at it this way, if the little tike had been by his mom’s side instead of running around the store, the accident would not have happened. I felt no responsibility in it what so ever since my cart was parked and I was looking at a product on the shelf. :)

9. Yankee said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:48 am:

/\/\3|)iç 64

Next time you go food shopping please wear a shirt that says
    ” PUNCH ME IN THE FACE”
    I wlll be happy to help you out with that.

10. Dave in PWC said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:52 am:

Did the little type habla???

11. Dave in PWC said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:52 am:

I mean tyke…

12. mnd said on 16 Jun 2008 at 12:12 pm:

So my wife and I used to shop almost exclusively at this Shoppers location, before it was turned into “El Primero Mercado”. It was just around the block from us, after all.

We stopped going a few months after the switch. The place had turned into a dump, despite the new paint and branding.

Shoppers sent me a message loud and clear that they no longer wanted my business, so I took my money elsewhere.

13. Rob Smalls said on 16 Jun 2008 at 12:15 pm:

Greg,

The store’s previous name was “Il Primero Mercado”, not Marketo. And it was/is a craphole I veer away from every time I need groceries.

However, the Maplewood Barbershop located a few doors down is excellent. Head on in for a trim, and tell Eric I sent you!

[Ed note: thanks for the correction.]

14. KO said on 16 Jun 2008 at 12:17 pm:

Their flyer is advertising Corona and Doritos. Guess not much has changed beside the name.

15. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 16 Jun 2008 at 12:55 pm:

Yankee,

Why so hostile? Do you intentionally look for confrontation? You really should get a better hold of your anger management issues.

Dave,

No he didn’t habla english because he looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, which to him it propably was.

16. Howard the Duck said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:06 pm:

Where can I get some of these shirts? I could hand them out back of the 7-11 on Coverstone Drive.

17. Johnson said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:21 pm:

Yankee-
    Don’t threaten people you don’t know. You might get surprised. I have Medic’s back, as do other people around here. Be nice. If you can’t be nice, go elsewhere.

The whole “park where you want, just put the flashers on” phoenomenon seems to be a cultural trait. I used to see a lot of this in the townhouse developements. I checked with a latina collegue (Puerto Rican, married to a Salvadoran) and she said that they consider it OK to park wherever, as long as the flashers are on. Flashers indicate “I’ll be back soon”. Then we get into the whole “concept of time” issue. :-)

18. A Reader said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:23 pm:

There are also problems at the school drop-off areas. Many cars (who seem to contain Hispanic children) just sit with the children in the car and wait and wait. Other cars are stuck until they finally move. I have seen school officials trying to explain it to them, but it doesn’t seem to sink in.
    I wonder if the illegal aliens are complying with the child car-seat/safety belt laws. A police officer at the school drop-off spots would be a great way to check for immigration status. Police did this at a school in my daughter’s town and the officer found lots of noncompliance.

19. KP said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:44 pm:

I stopped going to this store as soon as they changed the sign. I am still waiting to see if it improves. As of yesterday, there were still folks just “hanging out” in front of the store. They do that at WalMart also. this to me makes the place look like a dump where people go to just hang out and look to see who is passing by. Until that loitering stops, I still won’t go to it. The other Shoppers on Liberia doesn’t allow for this type of loitering and it appears clean on the outside and is on the inside. Nice store. I agree that the changeover of the store looked to me like they were rolling up the “non-Latino” welcome carpet. Hopefully this will change and I might just start shopping there again someday. International? Does that mean I can buy haggis there too?

20. Yankee said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:48 pm:

KP

Get a clue

I am so mad cuase people here have no idea of reality.
    The Shoppers on Liberia has retards working there. so why not make fun of them?
    And emplyess that smoke about 20 feet from the door outside but geez.
    There are idiots wherever you go , you are ust looking for excuses and I am sick of it.
    I sued to think like you but I relaized something.
    There are nice people and there are idiots.
    Black white red whatever does not matter.
    Mostly now I see here are idiots.
    Funny once upon a time you would have seen me string up some theme music to Help Save Manssas but as far as I am concerned from what I have seen here..
    You all do not deserve saving.
    You all deserve to go straight to hell.

21. KP said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:50 pm:

Yankee having a bad day? Unruly kids (of any ethnic background) should be duct taped to their parents cart until they can learn some respect for other people.

22. Vigilant1 said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:03 pm:

A Reader said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:23 pm:

From what I have observed, NO! I cannot tell if they are legal or illegal but they are certainly LATINO. Just the other day I saw three of them sitting in the fron seat and a kid about 2 years old on the lap of the one by the door. No seat belts on anyone. NO COPS AROUND EITHER!

23. Che said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:04 pm:

Yankee’s post looks like poetry written by Charles Manson.

24. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:06 pm:

KP,

That was basically the premise of my post, but Yankee made it personal. I won’t stoop to their level though.

TY Johnson,

I appreciate the back-up. I have most people’s back until they give me a reason not to.

Yankee,

I have met face to face on a couple of occassions with people I blog with here. I feel pretty confident that they will tell you I am far from a confrontational type of person. Your threats of punching me in the face, just show your imaturity in today’s adult world and you lack of self control. I will let you respond to this post and it can be the last word, you can have it. Good day.

25. RED SOX said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:06 pm:

Yankee said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:48 pm:

BUZZ OFF, RETARD!

26. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:08 pm:

Vigilant1,

I wish I had copies of the photos showing how the child became the “air Bag” for the adult in the front seat as they innocently sat on their lap. It doesn’t matter if you are going down the block or across the country, child seats are there for a purpose. As a Paramedic / Firefighter, I have seen my fair share of infant deaths caused by parents too lazy to put their child in the seat or make them stay in it even if they cried.

27. Vigilant1 said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:15 pm:

I fully agree that there are people out there that don’t give a rat’s behind about their kids or themselves. Jump in the car, turn on the key and go mentality. I first began using my seat belt in 1966 after observing a friend of my brother whose head went through the windshield and came back in after he was involved in an accident. It wasn’t pretty! The problem with the seat belt law in VA is the fact that the police can’t stop you just for that violation. You must be stopped for a traffic infraction or a problem with your vehicle. Everyone who enters my vehicle and intends to ride with me are required to use the seat belts. NO EXCEPTIONS!

28. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:30 pm:

Vigilant1,

I have seen it work the opposite way as well. It really doesn’t matter if you wear it or not, when your number has come up on the big spinning wheel in the sky, it doesn’t matter what you are doing at the time, but what you have done.

29. Wine Please said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:46 pm:

Vigilant1 16 Jun 2008 at 2:15pm:

actually, not wearing your seatbelt is a primary offense in Virginia…as of January…

You can also call the cops on vehicles where you see young children not restrained properly…I know of one woman who calls to report a possible drunk driver because it seems (at least in her state) the cops are more likely to respond to someone who is a public menace than just endangering their own children (although, some of the kids I’ve seen jumping around in the car while it’s moving might make me drive erratically and pose a danger to the public).

and the Shoppers in Manassas is a joke…although in the past few months I’ve not be hit by as many carts as usual (that is not a joke…I usually get hit TWICE by adults pushing their cart into my ankles–makes me fear sharing the road with them)…and it seems a few less random loiterers hanging about outside. But still same rotten kids running around far from their parents. Besides being a pain (since my children are either in the cart or the 4-yr old is walking by my side so I know it’s possible to corral your children), it’s dangerous because someone could just kidnap them.

30. Not Alanna Almeda said on 16 Jun 2008 at 3:13 pm:

Don’t you understand? The children beautiful and they are scared. If their parents drive their shopping carts into you, and you call the police, they could be deported. If they are questioned in the parking lot, they could be deported as well. If one of their parents punches someone in the face, they can be deported. The beautiful children are scared. Pobre’ ninas bonitas. You are scaring the children.

31. KO said on 16 Jun 2008 at 3:20 pm:

Since we are off on a tangent here, I HATE going to Cosco because of the shopping carts. I am bumped a minimum of 3-4 times, usually by large (read obese) persons that are salivating so much over the free samples that they don’t look where they are going. No one knows how to say “sorry” anymore. It’s truly gross, and reminds one that gluttony is one of the seven deadlies.

32. Lafayette said on 16 Jun 2008 at 3:49 pm:

Yankee,
    Mr. Medic is about as non-confrontational as they get if you met him in person. You are out of line talking to him like that. You do need to grow up. If you don’t know someone personal then you should NOT say such personal things. I do know him personally and will back up the type of person he told you he was. Not that you deserve any acknowledgement let a lone an explanation.

KO,
    I agree with you about rude customers at Costco. However, I’ve seen all ages, colors, shapes and sizes frothing at the mouth for free samples. I guess you are ready for the cover of GQ or Cosmo, eh? ;)

33. KO said on 16 Jun 2008 at 4:05 pm:

I am not obese or overweight, if that’s what you mean. I didn’t mean to strike a nerve; are you going to ask me to wear a “Punch Me in the Face” shirt at Cosco :)

34. Lafayette said on 16 Jun 2008 at 4:14 pm:

KO,
    Of course not!! I just thought all should be called to the carpet about those free samples. You didn’t strike a nerve with me. They are already shot to hell and back. :)
    Thanks for the laugh.

35. Howard the Duck said on 16 Jun 2008 at 4:41 pm:

Not Alanna Almeda said on 16 Jun 2008 at 3:13 pm:

I am getting mighty sick and tired of having my compassion and decency taken advantage of in the manner above.

Understand this: the children are scared because the actions of their parents, not the law abiding people of this land.

36. Vigilant1 said on 16 Jun 2008 at 4:42 pm:

Wine Please said on 16 Jun 2008 at 2:46 pm:
    Vigilant1 16 Jun 2008 at 2:15pm:

Thanks for the update. Missed that one. And as far as kidnapping, you know the story of John Walsh’s (from America’s Most Wanted) son. These people are plain stupid and ignorant to let their kids run unattended anywhere.

37. Vigilant1 said on 16 Jun 2008 at 4:43 pm:

Not Alanna Almeda said on 16 Jun 2008 at 3:13 pm:

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD!!! Their parents are too stupid to be scared.

38. El Guapo said on 16 Jun 2008 at 5:13 pm:

I can empathize with “Yankee”. But I realize that the horrible things that are being posted here are based on ignorance. Lashing out irrationally, while personally satisfying, is not productive.

I like the cute little kids in the grocery stores. I think somebody who doesn’t appreciate that is dead inside or close to it. Someone who gets annoyed by a car parked in a no parking area with it’s hazard lights on must live a miserable life if such a petty little nusance annoys them so much.

“Yankee” should take comfort in knowing that. And the next time you see some Latinos, say, “Hi” or “how ya doin’” and extend the right hand of fellowship. Doing that would be more beneficial to society than these guys sitting around pissing and moaning about minor annoyances.

39. Benton said on 16 Jun 2008 at 5:18 pm:

I really hate it when you all pick on children. Really….take a break and look at what you are saying.

Stick with the adults.

40. Lafayette said on 16 Jun 2008 at 5:30 pm:

Benton,
    But what do you do with the adults that act like children? ;)

41. Benton said on 16 Jun 2008 at 5:36 pm:

Ignore them. :)

Recognition is a powerful tool when chosen to be used and when chosen not to be used.

42. Lafayette said on 16 Jun 2008 at 5:40 pm:

I always enjoyed activating the IGNORE BUTTON! Of course I don’t post like I used to.

43. Kimmie said on 16 Jun 2008 at 6:29 pm:

Minor annoyances, indeed….

From Lakewood, New Jersey at http://www.helpsaveamerica.net/index.php/voices/Lakewood,%20NJ

In 1998 is when my family and I first moved to Lakewood, Ocean County, New Jersey. We lived in a two family, second story apartment on 5th Street. At this time, we were pretty ignorant about the entire illegal alien problem. But the area we moved into, seemed to have almost every other house occupied with, what appeared to be, huge families living in single family homes. Most of them were from Mexico.

We lived there for nearly three years. And in that small amount of time, we began to see other families move out rapidly. We didn’t understand what was going on yet. The newly sold homes were then being filled, and are still filled to this day, with huge numbers of Mexicans.

It started out with the loud, thumping music being played at all hours of the day and night. Every single weekend, every single holiday. There was no rest from it. You can imagine how this would begin to wear on your nerves hearing it continually. So we started going across the street, going a few houses down the road, and asking kindly if they could just lower the music some. If they could just turn it off after a certain hour in order for the kids and yourself to get some semblance of sleep for school and work. To kindly refrain from it during a holiday when you knew you would be having guests over. But that, apparently, was not allowed.

It begins to escalate and shouting matches become common. Then the threats begin. One very early morning after dealing with just about as much as you can stand; you march out and practically beg for some peace and quiet. What happens? Your jumped by nearly a half a dozen drunk illegals. They proceed to beat you with pool sticks and pull a knife out on you. But your not going down without a fight! So you fight with all you have breaking one of their noses, not once, but twice! It looks like its about to fall off of his face, yet he still keeps coming back for more. They were doing this to my husband. I can’t just stand there, so I try to help him by ripping off some of those who are all over him beating him. I get seriously injured in the process. My finger nails are torn out of my fingers, blood everywhere. My rotator cups on my shoulders are ripped out as well.

Finally, the police arrive. They sort everything out, and of course, my husband is not charged, he was attacked and it was considered self defense. After several visits to a special doctor, I’m told I may need surgery to correct the damage to my rotator cups. I refuse because I know it may also work against me. It literally took close to three years before I could even raise my arms again!! I begin having heart problems, and have to be rushed, during another time, by ambulance to the emergency room, thinking I’m having a full blown heart attack. I suffer now from extreme panic attacks.

Obviously, we move as quick as we can. We find another place closer to the park in Lakewood. Another two family, the area is cleaner and there are more families with children there. We become very close to our new neighbors. Our children grow up with them. Then it starts all over again. Suddenly, the entire block is being sold up. Our neighbors are selling their homes and moving out of Lakewood completely. And the homes are being bought up by the same buyers. More block busting taking place. Its happening all over Lakewood.

The absentee landlords fill the houses to the brim with huge numbers of illegals. The entire area begins to deteriorate. Gang markings start appearing on the wooden fences surrounding some of the homes. We sit on our front porch and watch as the strange faces who now occupy the many homes, climb into their vehicles drunk. Barely able to walk straight, yet climb behind the wheel and drive off. We have witnessed countless accidents on the end of our street. Its just a matter of time before a child gets killed her. Bikers have been killed here, so have pedestrians. No surprise.

One home on the right side of our home has been filled several times over with many different occupants in the last four years. Filled with males workers, who have had prostitutes over many times over. Engaging in lewd acts right in front of the house, in full view of our children. We’ve found drug needles thrown all over our back yard. Yes, we called the police and turned them in. What can they do? We’ve had to witness some of the males come outside and go to the bathroom, again, in full view of our children, right in the back yard. And I’m not talking about taking a leak either. I’m talking about defecating in their back yard!

And when they had their heat shut off, couldn’t fill the oil tank. They decided to tap into the natural gas line. The odor of gas was so strong, that by the time the Inspectors, Police and Fire Marshal arrived, we were told the entire block would have blown in less than two days, tops! They also were using several propane heaters throughout the small residence. Another violation.

On the other side, the left side, they were operating an illegal day care center out of a residential home zoned for six occupants only. They had over 25 children and 18 adults there. The trash was extreme - they also used the back yard, which used to be covered in grass and a swing set for children, as a brand new dumping ground! Hazardous materials, old broken down vehicles, piles and piles of bikes and parts of bikes. Tires, oxygen tanks, you name it, it was out there. There were so many diapers at the end of a week’s time, they would put their over flow of trash into other folks garbage containers. Some of our neighbors had to call in a complaint to the police department because of it.

While operating as an illegal day care center, the home had NO certificate of occupancy; they had NO working heating system; they had black mold covering walls throughout the place; they had disgusting, infested carpeting that the babies were all over; and they had men living in the basement area, sharing beds with young children.

How does this kind of exposure “harm” me? It robs me of my quality of life that everyone is entitled to. It robs me of some semblance of normalcy when it comes to trying to enjoy nights for sleeping, holidays for entertaining, or being able to sleep peacefully when I or my children are sick. We are forced to live according to what they wish to dish out. If they want to blast their horrific music, so loud that fans and a/c’s turned up on full blast, does nothing to alleviate the shaking of the windows from the vibration of music. Ear plugs do nothing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve called the police department for disturbing the peace complaints. And bless them, they always come when I call.

I’ve gone over, out of sheer anger and mind loss, and personally taken my camera out, in full view of the illegals. And began taking their pictures. Nothing upsets folks more than that, IF you are here illegally. Nothing upsets them more if you stand in front of their vehicles, and start taking pictures of the plates. They all have out of state plates for years on end, and nobody does anything about it. Let YOU or I try to pull that and see how fast you would be forced to change your plates and license over to Jersey!

The police are called when they start seeing me take photos. They get angry and start yelling I can’t take their pictures. I tell them the law states I can if I’m on a public street and they are in full view. When the police arrive, they don’t harass me. They know what I’m dealing with. They always ask to see some identification from the illegals, funny, how they never seem to ever have any…So the police warn them about turning down the music and then after the drunk illegals try to fight with the police verbally, stating they can’t do anything to them. It just ticks off the officers who proceed to have the vehicles towed in the street because they have no proper insurance, registration or tags on them.

The real estate values have dropped tremendously. Once the illegals move in, the rest of the block is destroyed. Who wants to purchase any home with that living on both sides of you? Why do I stay? I’m asked that over and over again. Because I have been here for nearly a decade now. I was here first! And I’m a legal American, law abiding, tax paying citizen in good standing - and I REFUSE to give up because they want everyone out so that they can take over the entire block - what do you think these absentee landlords do after a few years of this? They knock down the homes that have now been completely destroyed by the illegals and rebuild - who do you think moves into the brand new mega houses? That’s right - the “special interest” group that has the largest voting block here in Lakewood. The “special interest” group that will soon have complete control over the entire township committee. Who do you think has taken over our own school board here, even > though NONE of their own children atted public school? That’s right, the “special interest” group. They have destroyed the budget, and our public schools are a disaster! Reason number 58 why I have personally been home schooling our three children.

The gangs are coming in more and more, not only in town, but also in the schools. The huge number of illegals, over 15,000 know that Lakewood is a sanctuary city. If you take a drive down our main street, called Clifton Avenue, you will see hundreds of illegals standing out on Clifton Avenue looking for day labor. On the weekends, a local man with a big blue bus, comes out and has cook outs and gives out tons of free clothes to the illegals. They have no reason to be afraid here; they have everything they need. They are able to work, without worrying about anyone enforcing Federal Laws, they are able to rent without anyone having to worry about those pesky Federal Laws again; and they enroll their children and have anchor babies here in Lakewood because they know they will have all their needs met. No problem. They don’t worry about having legal paperwork to drive either. Why bother? Who in Lakewood is even going to bother asking them if they are here > legally?

The laws mean nothing to these folks. And parts of our town look like third world countries. We have vendors operating out of shopping carts here; we have some who set up mini restaurants here; selling food without any kind of health license, or merchantile license. All in full view of the police department. Nothing gets done. We have homes that are not even kept up to code and allowed to house huge numbers of folks, why? Because the landlords all got together and sued Lakewood Code Inspectors for DOING THEIR JOB! Now, and you’ll love this, if there is to be an inspection, THE LANDLORD has to be FORE warned before the inspectors arrive! If there is a complaint of over crowding; the landlord is FORE warned before hand! How insane is this system?

I wonder when a home will catch fire and dozens will die because there are no fire codes being enforced. Insanity at its best. Yet, we are the ones who are ignored. Nobody cares about what we have to endure here. I’ve tried till I’m blue in the face to get attention brought to this situation. I’ve been in the paper more times than I can count. I’ve stood out on Clifton Avenue protesting the day laborers; I’ve complained countless times to the inspectors office, they all know me down there personally now! I’ve attended and spoken out at all the township meetings; and I chair a committee called the Lakewood Rental Advisory Committee. Basically, a committee to try and appease me because I have been so vocal.

I have documentation, photos, reports, newspaper clippings, you name it, I have it to back up every allegation I have made here. But where does that get me? Not very far I’m afraid.

I hate living here now. I wish I could afford to move out. But I home school our three children, I work part time out of the house, and financially, we make a great deal of sacrifices to be able to continue home schooling. Its not easy. So I don’t have many options. The rent we pay now is affordable to us. If we move, we would have to pay almost double based on what the rentals are getting today. Its too much for us to bear. So we remain, in hell.

44. Benton said on 16 Jun 2008 at 6:35 pm:

Next time you move, use a realtor or contact your local police for crime reports in the area. Check the schools and see what the test scores are and what the trend is.

45. El Guapo said on 16 Jun 2008 at 6:44 pm:

Kimmie posted a moving story. Wow. That must have been awful. Does that make kids being kids in a supermarket more than a minor annoyance? No. Does that make parking in the loading zone more than a minor annoyance? Of course not. Does Kimmie’s story justify indicting every Spanish speaking person? Ridiculous.

46. es_la_ley said on 16 Jun 2008 at 7:10 pm:

Kimmie said on 16 Jun 2008 at 6:29 pm:

Within the article you posted…

Your [sic] jumped by nearly a half a dozen drunk illegals. They proceed to beat you with pool sticks and pull a knife out on you. But your [sic] not going down without a fight! So you fight with all you have breaking one of their noses, not once, but twice! et al….

Ah! New Jersey! Yea, a state where only the ‘elite’ can get a permit to carry a firearm to protect themselves, but the average law abiding folk are defenseless against shear brutality.

47. Taco Truck Ted said on 16 Jun 2008 at 7:23 pm:

Juan’s Tacos “We speak the international language of quality untaxed tacos”

48. AAA said on 16 Jun 2008 at 8:18 pm:

A Reader said on 16 Jun 2008 at 1:23 pm:

I had a mother on my block place her baby in an infant carrier and place the carrier on the floor of her minivan. The minivan had no back seats, just an open space. It was not secured to the base, a seat belt or anything. Most infuriating thing I’ve seen. Not to mention the many toddlers I see flopping around the backseat of vehicles. Illegal or not, child seat laws are not that hard to understand.

49. theproofisinthepudding said on 16 Jun 2008 at 8:57 pm:

So isn’t Shoppers Food Warehouse a well established grocery store chain? At least it is in Loudoun, where there are two. it sounds to me that by adding the “International” they are actually doing the opposite of what this post claims. they are going further out of their way to cater to immigrants. In Leesburg they have two isles dedicated to Hispanic food and another to Asian.
    As to parking with blinkers on, try going to a suburban youth sports event and see where the upper middle class feels like they can park in order to avoid walking. After all, excercise has its alloted time at the gym.

50. Red, White and Blue said on 16 Jun 2008 at 9:38 pm:

Kimmie: compelling diatribe.

El guapo: You missed the point. Kimmie didn’t describe Lakewood as a problem with children in shopping stores. She talks about illegals supported by authorities to ascribe to taking over areas in a city by any means and then turning into something other something occupy-able except by someone from a Spanish speaking community. Call it what you may, but when someone is speaking only spanish, gang signs are around and they are willing to fight for their assumed and protected rights by the state if New Jersey, I can understand someone feeling the way she does.
    The LAW says that a person entering the United States without proper entry procedures is ILLEGAL. This is a CRIME. Manassas was headed the way of Lakewood and we have had multiple MURDERS here by ILLEGALS. SO what is you rights activist don’t understand. Deporting illegal criminals is wrong?

Yankee can have his opinions but the threat of the use of force is not one of political action but criminal threat.

Es-la-ley you are right. The armed citizen does not exist in the socialist/ communist state of New Jersey. Only criminals can have guns in that state, like New York, Taxxachuettes, Connecticut and Maine. That’s “Yankee land” for you. That one reason I am an ex-Yankee. I came to my senses years ago.

51. sahdman said on 16 Jun 2008 at 10:41 pm:

What is so “international” about this store? Their ad looks like any other store I have seen.

And Kimmie’s story about Lakewood is a lesson for anyone who ever thinks that liberalism works. Without doing much research on the town council I can assume that most are Democrats and if there are Republicans they are liberal also. Liberalism doesn’t work never has never will. I don’t understand why people continue to vote this way.

I don’t understand why people move to a nice state like Virginia for its quality of life and low taxes etc.. and then work to get rid of the leaders who created it. Liberals divide and destroy communities, they create victims, and they do it in the name of the children, the environment, health, poor, education, multiculturalism.

Liberals don’t care about you me or anybody else. They care about themselves. they care about power. they care about their own ego.
    Sure some mean well. But all are misguided. The rich liberals such as Obama, Kerry, Rockefeller, Kohl, Pelosi, Edwards, and even Mccain give a dog crap about you an me. All they want is power for themselves and their rich buddies. It works the same on the local level, state and federal level. The liberals all need to go.

Good luck in New Jersey Kimmie, you need it in that state. I only wish that the majority of voters in Virginia would learn from state and other liberal states like New Jersey that liberalism doesn’t work and shouldn’t even be tried.

52. sahdman said on 16 Jun 2008 at 10:48 pm:

last line correction “learn from your state”
    Those republicans who want illegals in our country and want to take advantage of their labor are no better than the liberal Democrats. They also need to go.

53. monticup said on 16 Jun 2008 at 11:30 pm:

AAA: Those vans without seats are used to transport illegal alien workers by their slavemasters. They all pile in on top of each other. This Third World behavior (including letting brats run wild in public places like supermarkets and banks) has got to stop.

54. Dave in PWC said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:18 am:

I’ve called the police several times when I see the kids sitting on laps and it’s not just hispanics that I see doing this. I’ve actually been at a light on Ashton with a cop beside me and I pointed the kids roaming the back seats out to him and he pulled them over when the light changed.

Our HOA tows anyone who parks in the fire lane with the flashers going for more than 5 minutes. That does seem to be a latino thing in my neighborhood. They learn quickly after paying $125 to get their vehicle back. I know they were only going inside quickly to get a chalupa…

Haven’t seen anyone duct taped up since the nukes caught a dink (that would be someone delinquent in submarine qualification, not a racial slur) in the movie one evening.

55. madmom said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:27 am:

mnd said on 16 Jun 2008 at 12:12 pm:

——————————————————————————
    MND - We USED to shop at this Shoppers - then all of a sudden one day it was El Primero Mercado. I have never set foot in it since then, and I don’t care what they want to call it now, I will never set foot in it again. They have lost my business because they felt my money wasn’t as good as the Spanish speaking people’s money. They changed that store into something I felt
    very uncomfortable walking around in….not a word of English spoken.

So now, they can “re-open” it calling it “English Speaking People Only” and I would not step foot in it. When I drove by the other day, the old man drinking a beer in front was enough to tell me that this area was now third world, and like all other places invaded with the illegals, our police seem to turn a blind eye and let them become an eyesore, a cesspool, whatever
    you want to call it. They truly have their own set of laws, and other laws
    are inflicted on you and me and not on this hoard of interlopers.

Do NOT shop at this store. If nothing else sends a message, it is the
    fact that no customers will come in if they don’t feel welcome. I don’t
    care if it closes. It serves them right.

I travel all the way down to Bloom, at the other end of town, to get
    what I need.

56. MP Resident said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:32 am:

“The whole “park where you want, just put the flashers on” phoenomenon seems to be a cultural trait.”

It’s as though they somehow think putting the flashers on makes their illegal parking legal and protects them from getting a ticket.

57. MP Resident said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:42 am:

“Without doing much research on the town council I can assume that most are Democrats and if there are Republicans they are liberal also.”

I assume you are referring to Manassas Park City Council. After November, there will be at most ONE Republican on that council.

58. Rand said on 17 Jun 2008 at 4:35 am:

Wouldn’t it be great if all our children grew up speaking spanish and english?

59. El Guapo said on 17 Jun 2008 at 5:20 am:

Good point, Rand. Maybe if people could communicate better then there would be less animosity. If people could understand each other then maybe they’d realize that deep down we’re all very similar.

But you don’t have to speak the same language to communicate. Greg and HSM protestors look at Hispanics with a scowl. Don’t think that doesn’t communicate a message. You can look someone in the eye and smile. Don’t be shy.

60. manassascityresident said on 17 Jun 2008 at 6:30 am:

sahdman said on 16 Jun 2008 at 10:41 pm:
    “Liberals don’t care about you me or anybody else. They care about themselves.”

That’s why they are known as the party of “ME”….not the party of “WE”…

61. FHL said on 17 Jun 2008 at 7:12 am:

El Primero Mercado was always owned by Shoppers Food Warehouse. I do not live near the El Primero but I did like the store and shopped there once in a while. It was always clean and carried a much better variety of food than the regular Shoppers. The staff were very kind and helpful.

Rand,
    Actually it would be great if all children were bilingual. Think about it. 2/3 of the Western hemisphere is Spanish speaking. For the more ignorant of you I am including North, South and Central America.

62. Rob Smalls said on 17 Jun 2008 at 7:55 am:

Rand said on 17 Jun 2008 at 4:35 am:
    “Wouldn’t it be great if all our children grew up speaking spanish and english?”

Wouldn’t it be great if everybody spoke English, which is the historical and traditional language of this country, instead of pushing our kids to become bilinguists in order to continue catering to those who refuse to assimilate?

63. FHL said on 17 Jun 2008 at 8:02 am:

In most every other country in this world students are required to learn other languages. This is the only country where students are not encouraged to learn another language. When one learns to speak other languages they tend to learn about the cultures as well. This allows people to see through a different lens and they have a different view of the world and those who inhabit it.

64. LegalPWCCitizen said on 17 Jun 2008 at 8:15 am:

Wouldn’t it be great if all our children grew up speaking:

Albanian, Afrikaans, Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian,
    Catalan, Cebuano, Chechen, Chinese, Croatian,
    Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish,
    Finnish French, Galician, Georgian, German,
    Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic ,
    Indones, Irish Italian, Japanese, Korean,
    Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malaysian, Norwegian
    Polish, Portugese, Romanian, Russian, Slovakian,
    Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish,
    Welsh, Yiddish… AND ENGLISH ?

Why just Spanish and English ?

65. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:20 am:

I agree Rob!!!!

Lest we not forget:

“We have room for but one flag, the American Flag. We have room for but one language, the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. ” - - Pres. Theodore Roosevelt.

66. DPortM said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:23 am:

Amen, Rob Smalls! We don’t need to learn another language in the U.S. We speak English here - and anyone wanting to LEGALLY immigrate to the U.S. must speak, read, and write English in order to become a citizen.

Greg,

Please fix the post - it is Shoppers International and not affiliated with Shoppers Food Warehouse…

[Ed note: I’m pretty sure it is part of Shoppers Food Warehouse, but if it’ll make you happy…]

67. DPortM said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:24 am:

Yankee,

I have Medic’s back as well. I suggest you take your threats elsewhere…

68. Howard the Duck said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:24 am:

Rand said on 17 Jun 2008 at 4:35 am:
    Wouldn’t it be great if all our children grew up speaking spanish and english?

You only need to look at Canada to see where this is going.

Why should I have to press 1 for English?

Another thing: There is something wrong with affection for unruly, misguided, out of control brats.

They are a hazzard. They could knock down an elderly person causing a serious injury.

69. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:35 am:

Thanks to all that have my back. I didn’t realize how many would stand up behind Doc!!

I take the threat as keyboard courage and nothing more. :)

70. GreySnout said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:40 am:

Red, White and Blue:

That one reason I am an ex-Yankee. I came to my senses years ago.

No matter how many times you spread the illusion that the civil war wasn’t about protecting slavery, you’ll never be a true southron.

71. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:41 am:

I agree Howard!! The little buggers can cause damage or harm by roaming free. Who is supervising their behqvior or preventing them from causing a spill which an elderly person slips in and breaks a hip therefore ruining their quality of life because someone allowed their children to roam free. This isn’t free range time at the grocery store. I will say something to the mother that swats her child on the a$$. I will go up to her and say I see you love your child, she looks at me surprised that I would say such a thing and I remind her in the Bible it says spare the rod, spoil the child. I reassure her that hse has done nothing wrong and to keep up the discipline because it will pay off later on.

This isn’t about just the hispanic kids, it is about ALL of them. I wasn’t allowed to run free in the grocery store, my children weren’t allowed to run free in the grocery store and these children should be either.

72. Howard the Duck said on 17 Jun 2008 at 9:47 am:

Glad to help.

This guy is just upset because he is learning some unpleasant things about himself LOL!!!

73. Rob Smalls said on 17 Jun 2008 at 10:25 am:

FHL said on 17 Jun 2008 at 8:02 am:
    “In most every other country in this world students are required to learn other languages. This is the only country where students are not encouraged to learn another language…

“It is so arrogant to think that everyone in the US must speak English. Yes, it would be helpful and I would encourage every immigrant to speak the traditional language but you have to remember we have no “official” language in this country. Hmmmm…. maybe that is because we are the land of immigrants.”

I think it is more arrogant to assume that the only way you’ll ever learn a foreign language is by having a government school force you to do so. Never underestimate the power of personal initiative, as opposed to coersion by an education bureaucracy.

You don’t have to do anything to “encourage” an immigrant to speak English because the great majority of them will learn English as a precursor to citizenship. Hmmmm…maybe the problem doesn’t extend from immigrants at all, but illegal aliens. What an utterly novel concept…

74. TDB said on 17 Jun 2008 at 10:32 am:

==============================
    That goes both ways. Anytime I happen to look at a hispanic person they get this look on their face that says ‘What the hell are you looking at!’ Maybe THEY could try smiling rather than scowling!!!

75. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 10:36 am:

Howard,

Probably so. I personally do not think telling a child to find their mother after they have been free ranging in the grocery store was all that wrong. My wife does the shopping so I do not get into trouble :) I am the type of person that will tell you like it is whether you like it or not :) I also do not socialize with people I do not care for either. I will be courteous and conduct business as needed, but I will not ask you how your weekend was and then say somethig behind your back. If I do not like you, you will know it :)

That is the problem with so many, they are all nice to your face, but quick to stab your back. Political correctness is going to be the end of America. We have to get back on the track of telling people like it is and let kids know, someone has to loose!!!

76. MP Resident said on 17 Jun 2008 at 10:45 am:

“but you have to remember we have no “official” language in this country.”

That is not true. There is no Federal official language, however, 30 states including Virginia have an official English law.

77. Howard the Duck said on 17 Jun 2008 at 11:29 am:

We are not a nation of immigrants.

That is sophistry used by illegal alien apologists to stifle debate.

I was born in the USA. I am not an immigrant.

Case closed.

78. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 11:52 am:

My family immigrated LEGALLY to the US from England, Ireland and Germany back in the 1800’s.

I do not understand why it is so difficult to understand why ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL.

79. OK said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:22 pm:

While we are on the subject of grocery stores, I wonder if stealing food and opening sealed containers to take a “taste test” or a sniff is also one of those cute little cultural differences that we should wink and smile at. I have witnessed this behavior multiple times at the Wellington Giant. And, probably just due to random chance, the culprits were always hispanic, and (believe it or not!!!) they were speaking Spanish.

I know this is a minor inconvenience, so when you get taken to the emergency room to get treated for food poisoning, remember to look at the hispanics in the ER getting treated for headaches and tummy aches and just SMILE!

Let’s stop being ugly Americans!

80. AWCheney said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:40 pm:

“In most every other country in this world students are required to learn other languages.”

The actual fact is that in those countries which DO require a second language, one of those two languages is always English (meaning either the primary or secondary language*)! No matter how anyone wants to spin it, English is still considered the international language in virtually all countries of the world, yet we are being intimidated into denying English as our national language. Does anyone else see a certain irony in that?

*An example of a primary language being English and a secondary language being another is New Zealand, where the second national language is that of their indigenous inhabitants (Maori).

81. AWCheney said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:41 pm:

Correction: I should have said that “in those countries which DO require a second language, one of those two languages is ALMOST always English.

82. mnd said on 17 Jun 2008 at 1:09 pm:

Anyone unable to do these things is either 1. A tourist or other foreign national present on a temporary visa or 2. An illegal alien.

Seems like English is the language of the USA to me!

83. Vigilant1 said on 17 Jun 2008 at 2:30 pm:

OK said on 17 Jun 2008 at 12:22 pm:

When you witness that situation again, report it to the store manager. It is an arrestable offense. It happened a number of years ago when the Westgate Giant had the bulk food area. A gentleman was observed sampling the candy and was arrested.

84. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 3:48 pm:

Ahh free ranging in the grocery store. They are also tasting the pasteries. I have read of one such account as witnessed by one fellow blogger here.

I have lived overseas in a third world country. I kissed the ground as soon as I could when I came back to the states. Raw sewage running in the ditch in front of the house was more than enough for me.

The Philippines teaches English as well as Tagalog to their students. Even with 100’s of indiginous languages, the Philippines manages to have a single national language, Tagalog. It is such that only a family may speak a certain language. I know that one province located next to another has different languages. Since Tagalog is the national language, they are able to communicate with one another.

85. Taco truck ted said on 17 Jun 2008 at 4:10 pm:

Juan’s Tacos “We speak the language of untaxed tacos”

We hablamos tacosmos

86. MP Resident said on 17 Jun 2008 at 4:24 pm:

“Raw sewage running in the ditch in front of the house was more than enough for me.”

When my sewer main got clogged I opened the cleanout in the front yard. A lot of water (mainly from a shower and the clothes washer; no toilet water, thankfully) ran out.

It occurred to me that one could just leave the cleanout open and let the sewer water run down the street, as opposed to getting the main snaked out (needless to say, the correct solution). In my neighborhood, at the time, that would have really annoyed about half the neighbors and reminded the other half of home.

87. El Guapo said on 17 Jun 2008 at 5:05 pm:

mnd shares a common false statement frequently heard among the anti-immigrant left: “Legal immigration REQUIRES the ability read, write, speak and understand in ENGLISH.”

The fact is that legal immigration does not in and of itself require any knowledge of English whatsoever. According to the USCIS, naturalization requirest an ability to read, write, and speak English. This information is so easy to obtain with just a few clicks of a mouse, one can only wonder whether those that spread this false statement are lying or are just that stupid.

88. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 17 Jun 2008 at 5:14 pm:

MP Resident

The waste was from the neighbors on the hill above us. It wasn’t deep, but was around more when it rained. Of course the occassional stop just to relieve one self on the side of the road wasn’t a problem with some. There is always a ditch for that. Wash water was released into the ditch as well. Indoor washing machines were not used because of the amount of electricty they took. They would cause a brown out in a heart beat if someone used it. We hired a young cousin of my wife’s to wash clothes and clean the house. It was $20.00 a month, which was way more than she could make in the province.

89. Taco truck ted said on 17 Jun 2008 at 6:00 pm:

MP Resident said on 17 Jun 2008 at 4:24 pm:

That’s funny!

90. madmom said on 17 Jun 2008 at 7:06 pm:

I forgot to add one thing to my earlier post….

Those kids running amuck in the store just might belong to the employees. I have seen many times where children look like they are “by themselves” in stores, only to see them run to mommy who’s running the register or cooking behind the counter. McDonalds playplace - a great babysitter while mommy is working. I have seen it. And I don’t think the manager, well, maybe he/she would approve of it.

Imagine if that child got hurt in the store…..

That may be why these children look so at home and know the store inside and out. They are there 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

91. monticup said on 17 Jun 2008 at 8:58 pm:

FHL: Why should we be bilingual in Spanish? So we can give orders to yardboys and busboys? Just because Spanish speakers are numerous, it does not follow that Spanish is important. English is the international language of commerce. German, French, Japanese are important for scientific, artistic and literary reasons but English is the only language one NEEDS to be fluent in.

92. Red Dawn said on 18 Jun 2008 at 12:30 am:

madmom,

i am not discounting what you project but as far as a corporation such as McDonald’s do you really think they would set themselves up for ANOTHER lawsuit?

SORRY! I just cannot get past the “HOT coffee” one.
    And I want to add to the comment about you shopping at Blooms, The ground meat that you buy, it is FULL of water. Have you noticed this?
    I had the PLEASURE of my mother visiting and cooking..she was the one who pointed it out in the pan as she fried it up for tacos or skettie, I forget. I bought the LEAST amount of FAT to boot ( more expensive…we are cooks, we know what it should look like) and the pan FILLED with water ( no grease) and MORE then if it where fat.

RIP OFF!~

Costco or Bj’s IS and HAS been the way to shop. ( but I have noticed the smaller sizes in products)

93. KO said on 18 Jun 2008 at 9:54 am:

RD, don’t kid yourself about how much control and oversight any corporation has at a restaurant or store chain. Management at these locations is scant, and usually a senior cashier or department leader will be running the shop most of the time. I have seen this happen at McDonalds; usually the kids sit and watch the TV for hours while mom works behind the counter.

94. Taco Truck Ted said on 18 Jun 2008 at 9:05 pm:

At Juan’s Tacos Juan is always on site. He is there to not understand English, and to count (in Spanish mind you) all the tax free dollars he “earns” off of his unlicensed, unregulated taco business operated out of a residential home. Here take a look for yourself. Juan is the one counting (in Spanish) the tax free dollars