John McCain Can BITE ME!

By Greg L | 20 June 2008 | National Politics | 48 Comments

This week we found out that Presidential candidate John McCain has been having secret, no-media campaign events with Hispanic leaders, and telling them an absolutely different story about his policies and convictions than he told Republican voters while campaigning for the Republican nomination for president.  This utterly outrageous, lying, pandering, two-faced son of a bitch absolutely does not deserve to be our President.  There is no way in hell this guy is ever going to get my vote.

Rosana Pulido is a conservative activist in Illinois who has been fighting for effective border controls and enforcement of our federal immigration laws since at least 2005.  She received one of these exclusive invitations to an event in Chicago from the John McCain campaign, complete with a personal identification number that she would have to provide along with photo identification in order to ensure that it was she, and not some unauthorized imposter, who attended this June 18th event.  Her report, which is confirmed in the local Spanish media, is beyond disturbing:

John McCain’s favorite words of the evening were “Comprehensive Immigration Reform”. But he started out first of all saying if he is gonna win the Presidential election he will need the support of the Latino community.

He said “My state has been enriched by the Hispanic culture in Arizona.”

Then John McCain asked a question “Did you know this? I bet some of you did not know that Spanish was spoken in Arizona before English.” Loud cheers from the audience.

Then he said “I want to have some straight talk about our relationship with Mexico, our closest neighbor and dearest friend” He talked about the Mexican President fighting the drug cartels.

Then John McCain said the exact thing I came to hear.  He said “I was proud to work for Comprehensive Immigration Reform and If I am elected President I assure you that in 2009 I will ask Congress to pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform.” (The crowd goes wild)  “It is a Federal Responsibility” he said and continued “we also need a temporary guest worker program.”

He then told a story about a day laborer who got picked up this morning, worked all day and then never got paid. “We have no Federal Policy, we cannot allow this to happen”, he said. He repeated “I assure you that I will work for Comprehensive Immigration Reform”.

John McCain talked about a debate he was in about enforcing the law and he says that the “other side had a lot of ‘Rhetoric’.” “You know what I am talking about!” he said.

Let’s compare this to what he told Republican primary voters just a few months ago:

February 7th, 2008:

On the issue of illegal immigration, a position which provoked the outspoken opposition of many conservatives, I stood my ground aware that my position would imperil my campaign. I respect your opposition for I know that the vast majority of critics to the bill based their opposition in a principled defense of the rule of law. And while I and other Republican supporters of the bill were genuine in our intention to restore control of our borders, we failed, for various and understandable reasons, to convince Americans that we were. I accept that, and have pledged that it would be among my highest priorities to secure our borders first, and only after we achieved widespread consensus that our borders are secure, would we address other aspects of the problem in a way that defends the rule of law and does not encourage another wave of illegal immigration.

I fully understand that there was never a basis to really trust John McCain on the illegal immigration issue, and never really did.  But I was going to give John McCain an honest chance to earn my vote, hoping that he might finally understand what a loser some of his past policies were with the electorate.  What I didn’t expect at all was for McCain to be telling non-Hispanic voters one thing, and then in secret telling Hispanic voters the exact opposite while pandering for their votes.  I also didn’t expect to see McCain apparently coordinating this event with someone like Martin Sandoval.  Sandoval is a Democrat serving in the Illinois State Senate, and is a significant figure in the illegal alien lobby in Illinois who has proposed such things as taxpayer funded loan programs for illegal alien college students.  In addition to serving as a State Senator, he is also on an official advisory panel “Institute For Mexicans Abroad”, providing policy advice as a “Mexican Abroad” in an official capacity for the Government of Mexico at the same time he votes on what laws should be passed in the Illinois State Legislature.  Is this guy a Mexican, or an American?  He ought to pick a country he wants to represent and be a part of, and stick to that decision.

This is not some minor gaffe, a poorly chosen string of words, or a missing fashion accessory.  This was a long-planned, carefully orchestrated, and deliberately executed effort to at best brazenly lie to voters, or at worst a demonstration that John McCain’s entire presidential candidacy has as its foundation a pile of decidedly un-American convictions that he knows are wrong, convictions that he lacks the courage to openly and truthfully discuss. He does not deserve my vote, nor should he qualify for the Republican nomination, although there is little reason to believe that could be denied him.  God save the Republican Party.

Our country can survive a bad president like Barack Obama.  It is formidably resilient, and when government promotes bad policy the American people rise up and put a stop to such chicanery.  Conservatism cannot long endure false prophets like John McCain, however, who claim the mantle of the Reagan Revolution at the same time they devalue and debase with their every action everything that stood for.  We survived Jimmy Carter, and in the end came out much better as a nation for being shown in such clear terms what liberalism is and why it should be opposed.  When charlatans like John McCain are taken seriously, it proves we desperately need to re-learn those lessons, and hopefully those lessons will endure.

UPDATE: John Ross saw this coming about a month ago, and had the following to say.  He was so right.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, and if that old adage proves true of John McCain, under a McCain Presidency, America is going to become more of a Nanny State, not less. We (at least most of the time) try to treat enemy soldiers captured on the battlefield with respect and fairness, and we feed and house them until the war is over. They are our known opponents and are treated as such. They represent a known level of danger. Spies and traitors in our midst, however, are much more of a threat than the most competent of enemy generals, and that is why spies and traitors get much more severe treatment.

For this reason, I find myself in the odd position of wishing Hillary had told Bill to buzz off and had won a few more states, so I could vote for her in the general election. I’m that terrified of what Republicans might sign off on under a John McCain Presidency.

1. charles said on 20 Jun 2008 at 10:57 pm:

That’s OK, he probably feels the same way about you. :-)

Given that Obama will be worse, and would leave McCain in the Senate, your best bet is to get McCain elected, get a good non-amnesty replacement for him in the Senate, and get Gilmore elected, so we can still have enough Senators to filibuster an amnesty agreement.

2. Bob Wills said on 20 Jun 2008 at 11:26 pm:

Greg what do you expect from any politician and especialy a Republican. Stewart and the WHOLE BOCS told the public that if they voted for the 800 million Bond issue it would not cause any increase in taxes. Oh that is why the bonds are not being issued.

Rather then trying to get the person you think is going to go your way why not put your efforts into getting the politicians of PWC and VA to start serving the public and with equality

3. Anonymous said on 20 Jun 2008 at 11:41 pm:

Our nominees are chosen by the media, not the public. The public listens to the propaganda and votes accordingly. This country is in big trouble!

4. Taco Truck Ted said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:10 am:

Hello this is Juan from Juan’s Tacos. We are announcing a John McCain appreciation Day to be held in July. Maybe the 4th. Of course here at Juan’s Tacos we will be getting the speech in Espanol. Here are the directions to my taco palace. A house of no taxes.

5. mnd said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:23 am:

John Ross had this to say about McCain:

6. Rick Bentley said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:33 am:

Good, I hope more conservatives follow your lead. It seems imperative to me that at least one party place America’s interest over their own personal interests. Right now, both are more interested in pandering and basically giving the finger to us.

7. Rick Bentley said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:36 am:

Greg you have some influence with conservatives in Virginia. Perhaps you can help lose him this State. If you can stand to help make Obama President. I hope you continue your anger at McCain, because it’s well-deserved and maybe you can actually help impact the way the GOP as a whole sees this issue as one they can play people as saps on.

I myself feel I have no party, neither party represents me.

8. Anonymous said on 21 Jun 2008 at 1:14 am:

Greg,

Talk about hysteria! What’s with the rant? McCain’s two statements aren’t necessarily inconsistent. Nothing he said to the Hispanic groups precludes him from keeping his February 2008 promise to Republican primary voters that he would first secure the borders — unless you think it impossible to secure them in 2009. Even if you do, his “comprehensive immigration reform” bill could require secure borders before implementing a temporary guest worker program or any of the other stuff. You may disagree with him on temporary guest workers, or be ticked that he references what is fact — that Spanish was spoken in Arizona before English — but that doesn’t make him a liar or a two-faced son of a bitch. This kind of thing you’re doing is destroying the Republican Party. John McCain is a real American hero, and you’re calling him a liar, and a two-faced son-of-a-bitch because in your obsession about there being only one way to tackle illegal immigration, you’ve chosen to interpret and compare his two statements in the most negative way possible. You’re being irrational, and encouraging people to just hand the country to Obama.

9. Greg L said on 21 Jun 2008 at 1:34 am:

No, it is John McCain that is destroying the Republican Party by watering down Republican principles into meaningless garbage while he panders to Democrats, the illegal alien lobby, global warming supplicants, and others. McCain apparently believes he can win the Presidency by alienating conservatives, something he has been particularly skillful at doing. He has absolutely alienated me.

If McCain wants to talk about “the other side” meaning folks that don’t appreciate his amnesty proposals that have encouraged serial vast waves of illegal aliens overrunning this country, I’ll be happy to be “the other side” and call this son of a bitch what he is: a traitor to the Reagan Revolution, primary voters who believed him, and our country.

I gave McCain the benefit of the doubt, hoping that my concerns would be demonstrated as groundless. I had hoped he really meant what he said at CPAC that he had learned that amnesty is the wrong answer, and that real conservative policies are what he stood for. Instead, McCain seems to be throwing down the gauntlet to anyone who actually believes in what Ronald Reagan stood for, and I’ll be happy to pick it up.

John McCain doesn’t get my vote for simply being the least objectionable Democrat running for President. Instead, I’m going to be looking a lot harder at what third-party candidates have to offer, or just not vote for President in November. This doesn’t ever get fixed by falling into the “he’s better than Obama, even if you hate his guts” crap.

10. cdubbs said on 21 Jun 2008 at 1:57 am:

Nothing new here. I think we all knew that John McCain comes down on both sides of the issue when it is in his interest to do so. As for me I will not vote for him. If he wins on his own, good for him. If Obama wins, one is always comforted with the knowledge that there must always be a Jimmy Carter before there can be a Ronald Reagan.

If Obama lies, appoints worthless judges, raises the tax rates, makes every illegal alien an instant US citizen and pays their mortgages, sells us out to the Chinese, has a scandal ridden administration, and has us all walking to DC during the morning commute singing save the polar bears… at least I know he is SUPPOSED to do that. I cannot however abide a Republican lying to me out of both sides of his/her mouth. If you already know things will be bad under Obama, I would suggest you reexamine what life under a two-faced out of touch liberal in disguise president John McCain would make.

By the time Obama figures out what it is exactly that he is going to change, he will have been voted out of office. With Kelo taking private property from one person and giving it to a private business, Terrorists with standing in civil court, alternative lifestyle unions legal out in California, Felons voting, sanctuary cities, the global warming swindle, 6th graders being forced to be innoculated against STD’s, Maccaca as an issue, and American grandmothers being searched for bomb materials every day. Tell me what else could he possibly do that would move us any further down the road to chaos than is already being done by the politicians, the media, and the moneymen we have right now?

Support the qualified folks you find at your state and local level and hope for the best.

11. Krutis said on 21 Jun 2008 at 3:30 am:

The hero from Hanoi Hilton has now become an “outrageous, lying, pandering, two-faced son of a bitch”.

There’s no way in hell Greg will vote for him because he met with a group of Hispanics.

Gregg’s weekend middle-of-the-night ravings are becoming standard. Where’s your respect for someone who has served in the military and, furthermore, was a determined, patriotic POW in a hellhole in Vietnam longer than you probably were in the military, if you ever were (I don’t know)?

Do you think that the most important subject for the incoming president to deal with is your pet project?

There are little things like the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the housing crisis, the escalating price of oil, the increase in homeless and hungry people, thousands of returning soldiers from the war in the Middle East who need rehabilitation, crumbling infrastructure, and now on top of that, we’re losing thousands and thousands of acres of farmland and crops from the flooding. And you’re moaning about the presidential candidate meeting with an Hispanic group!

Please, look at what you wrote when daylight arrives and you’ll see how utterly petty it is.

From hero to two-faced son of a bitch! That’s what you’re calling a man who might be your president. For shame, Greg!

12. Junes_Reston said on 21 Jun 2008 at 4:21 am:

Ironically, it was not that long ago that the “Paulists” were being criticized as being “out of touch.”

Yet Ron Paul, despite a few “way out” ideas, is probably more in touch with the majority of Americans than any other candidate (i.e., Middle Class America).

Ron Paul is opposed to the war in Iraq and amnesty for illegal aliens. He wants health care for AMERICANS to be more readily available and affordable. He wants a flat tax across the board where everyone pays the same percentage of their income (putting alot of accountants and tax prep software manufacturers out of business) … just to mention some of his views on the issues.

He withdrew his bid for the Republican presidential nomination, but I don’t doubt there are many Americans who wouldn’t fall in behind him if he chose to run as an Independent - even though he would be a long-shot - i.e. a protest vote.

Despite what either Juan or Obama tell their potential constituents on the campaign trail, they are pretty much hollow promises without the support of Congress.

As I’ve said before (here and elsewhere) the Presidential choices are sewn up, so it’s now time to focus intently on Congressional representation.

The Vote is a powerful tool - we need to use it wisely and encourage others to get out and vote.

13. Johnson said on 21 Jun 2008 at 8:21 am:

Greg’s right. McCan’t is Bush, reinvented. I’m sick of the Republican party and what it has done to us. They no longer represent my interests as a conservative, just as the Democratic party has dumped on it’s own base. I will hold my nose, close my eyes and pull the lever for Barack. He will either save us or plunge us into civil war. It’s up to us.

Somebody feel free to talk me out of this!

14. El Guapo said on 21 Jun 2008 at 8:48 am:

McCain has been pro-amnesty for years. He even teamed up with Ted Kennedy of all people to try to force an amnesty bill down our throats. For 15 minutes during the primaries he pretended to want to secure the border. I didn’t think anyone was fooled by that until now.

15. Crystal Clear Conservative said on 21 Jun 2008 at 8:59 am:

McCain is EVIL!! Why vote for an amnesty loving, free speech hating, tree hugging RINO as President? Yes, Obama is worst, but McCain will destroy the Republican Party.

Vote Bob Barr for President!!

16. Not4Nothing said on 21 Jun 2008 at 9:29 am:

Back when the several amnesties were being proposed in 2006 & 2007, the only concession of any value made to those of us who opposed these amnesties and wanted the laws on the books actually enforced was that AFTER the amnesty was granted, we would then AND ONLY THEN get our strict enforcement with the borders secured and some variation of E-Verify for internal enforcement.

When we wisely declined to grant amnesty BEFORE getting enforcement and insisted on enforcement first, we have been greeted with dozens of reasons why enforcement will not work. Note: Not why enforcement first will not work but why enforcement will not work PERIOD (errors on SS file, length of border, costs, etc). In short, the very people and groups from the NYT to La Raza who had signed on to CIR with amnesty first and enforcement later were promising us something that they were convinced WOULD NOT WORK. Of course, once the amnesty has been granted there’s not much you can do about it. We certainly haven’t taken back the amnesty granted in 1986 because we have been denied strict enforcement.

Those of us who oppose amnesty and want strict enforcement have been lied to across the board. It doesn’t make sense to support ANYBODY whatever his/her party who has not shown a long history of both talking the talk but also walking the walk. McCain is not such a person. I don’t know you personally, Greg, but I have a lot of respect for what you have been able to do in this area. You are a very intelligent man. I’m surprised that you are surprised about McCain.

17. RanBoy said on 21 Jun 2008 at 10:14 am:

Who is McCain?

18. BoyTrewth said on 21 Jun 2008 at 10:32 am:

The Truth says:

THANK YOU GOD FOR JUAN McCAIN!!!

Please everyone here vote for Juan McCain!!!

The Truth is voting for Juan McCain!!!

19. Big Dog said on 21 Jun 2008 at 11:25 am:

The choices in November will be Barack Obama
    and John McCain - that’s all folks. Tweedle-dee
    and tweedle-dum on securing America’s borders.
    Don’t expect any help from Washington in 2009 -
    we are on our on.

20. 999 said on 21 Jun 2008 at 11:46 am:

Krutis said on 21 Jun 2008 at 3:30 am:

Okay, let’s change it to “outrageous, lying, pandering, two-faced son of a bitch hero.”

McCain was, is and always will be a lying sone of a bitch. A leopard doesn’t change his spots.

21. Free Citizen said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:11 pm:

In reply to Bob Wills:

Lets remember that most Republicans are better for our Country than any Democrat!
    The Democrats will sell us down the tube.
    Now at the same time some Repb. ,like McCain, will also do the same.He has not changed and never will.So I don’t understand why he’s up there for President. Except many in the Repb. Party have lost their way and they think the greatest thing going are Conventions and Mass Meetings. We need to get back to Primaries. Let the people decide,not a group of left or right wingers.

Also Chairman Stewart and the BOS have done very good for our County.

Can’t say I agree with everything but over all they have done good. It’s up to us to show them the way.

Going to citizens time and being outraged only makes one look like a fool.

Try working with the Officials,instead of always badmouthing them.

22. Krutis said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:50 pm:

999

McCain’s mother, now near 100 years old, is neither a bitch nor a hero! I don’t know, whether his U S Navy Admiral father was a hero but he certainly wasn’t a bitch.

The language used here, by most of the contributors, for Obama and McCain, one of whom WILL be president, is outrageous. Seems discussion and arguments for and against can be held with respectful tone.

Of course, the initial comment showed the way.

23. CONVA said on 21 Jun 2008 at 1:07 pm:

I made my decision to not vote for McCain in 2000. He was an idiot then and has only got worse. I will go to the polls but leave the Presidential selection blank, as will all of my family. I may even leave all selections blank because Gilmore doesn’t get my juices running and I am not too sure about Whitman.

24. 999 said on 21 Jun 2008 at 1:13 pm:

Krutis said on 21 Jun 2008 at 12:50 pm:
    999

Just following your quote which was a quote by Greg. You cannot take that quote litteraly. It is common profanity that is not taken litteraly. Perhaps lying SOB would have been more appropriate for the blog. Nevertheless, McCain is a proven lier whether he be a SOB or not.

25. gstone said on 21 Jun 2008 at 2:47 pm:

McCain is bad. However, I never believed McCain anyway. Still don’t.

For those contemplating voting for Obama, think supreme Court. Do you really want to live in a country where the next two, possibly three Justices are hand picked by Barack Obama ? These are decisions that will effect you, your children and your grandchildren for a very long time.
    The consequences of an Obama presidency could very well ruin this country.

As bad as McCain is, consider this .

The United States Senate has 1 senator from Vermont Bernie Sanders, who is a self proclaimed Socialist. He is a registered independent who caucuses with the Democrats, but considers himself a devout Socialist.
    Barack Obama’s voting record is to the left of Bernie Sanders.

Whatever your motivation, dislike of McCain or a desire for “change ” you will be voting for the first Socialist to run for President of the United States if you cast your vote for Obama.

For those making the Carter analogy. Save it, it is not 1979. This is 2008 and 29 years changes everything. Barrack Obama is dangerously
    mis informned with a naive approach to a dangerous world.

Whether you have to hold your nose or get drunk before you go to the polls , I suggest you do it. The alternative is not just the greater of two evils, but the choice of fools.

26. freedom said on 21 Jun 2008 at 3:07 pm:

Greg, I don’t agree with John McCain on the immigration issue either However, there are other issues that are vitally important as well….the most significant that I can think of being the appointment of lifetime judges and the impact of THAT upon our country.

So, as was stated earlier, if you don’t like McCain, you have Obama….and if you don’t like Obama, you have McCain…and if you take a holiday from voting, just to keep your hands clean, you simply let others make the hard decision for you.

So, decisions don’t always have a good and a bad alternative…this is one of those situations where the choices are not particularly good — certainly not what I would prefer. Yet, before swearing off McCain, please consider the alternative. Judges (who make laws for us) aren’t replaced every four years or even every eight years…our country simply can not endure two or three more Ginsbergs for the remainder of their lives…and that’s exactly what the team of Jeremiah Osama Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid would give you…:(

Immigration is important, but there are other important issues as well.

27. And Justice for All said on 21 Jun 2008 at 5:40 pm:

McCain has been consistent in his position, just like he was with offshore oil drilling.

I as well am a very conservative voter on the role of Government, and am disgusted at what the right wing talk radio, netroot, anti-immigrant, religious zealot, and neo con factions have done to the GOP.

There is a brand problem with the term Conservative Republican. And only conservative republicans are to blame.

This former Republican activist is voting for Obama, enthusiastically.

I agree with many posters, that an Obama presidency may provide for great contrast and allow conservatism to rise from the ashes like a phoenix (no pun intended). When it does, it needs to be focused on truly making the world a better and more inclusive place - not the divisive ignorant dribble that many of us have been uttering.

If Obama makes our country stronger from a different perspective, then fine. We didn’t all become sissy-ninnies during the 90’s.

Either way, with a vote for Obama, we can’t lose.

28. BoyTrewth said on 21 Jun 2008 at 6:10 pm:

I’ve voted Republican many times in the past as I am fiscally conservative but socially liberal. Unfortunately, the republican party has become the party of the socially conservative to a suicidal degree and the greatest spender of tax dollars in the name of that social conservatism. It’s the opposite of what it claims to be.

For example, Republicans are the first to cry out about how wrong it is to forcibly bus kids to various schools to mix the races. They say it is government controlled social engineering and they are right. They say it is more expensive and they are right.

29. freedom said on 21 Jun 2008 at 8:26 pm:

And Justice for All, don’t even TRY that BS on us…you’re no more conservative than Osama Obama…:(

30. freedom said on 21 Jun 2008 at 8:32 pm:

BoyTrewth said 6:10 pm, “But then they turn around and say deport all undocumented immigrants no matter what the cost to our economy. What else is this anti-immigrant movement if not a call for a countrywide massively expensive program for government controlled social engineering?”

First of all, Boy…the “deport” is correct except you left out a word…and that’s “self,” as in “self-deport,” and if they get the idea that things are better from which they came, that’s exactly what they’ll do…at their expense/effort, not ours.

Secondly, you propose that it’s a “…program for government controlled social engineering,” hardly. Do you realize that our country has laws to protect its society? Protection of our society from those who kinda like “wander in” is hardly “social engineering”!! Come on, you can do better than that!

31. NoVA Scout said on 21 Jun 2008 at 10:14 pm:

I sure as hell don’t see what all the fuss is about. McCain knows that the federal government has to tackle the immigration issue and is one of the very few who can’t be accused of being AWOL on this. Most of what everyone complains of here is the result of inaction at the federal level. McCain has been willing to take the heat for trying to find a federal solution. That puts him way ahead of virtually anyone else. There’s no backtracking, inconsistency or hypocrisy in the posted statements. We must secure the borders and we must have comprehensive federal immigration reform. You’re far more likely to get that from McCain than from the Democrats. “two-faced, pandering, lying son of a bitch” is not the stuff that informed policy in the national interest is made from, especially when the guy has been as consistent as anyone in the public eye on this issue, probably to his detriment, but almost in the national interest. I have no idea what “Republican principles” or “conservative” interests you’re talking about in your 0134 comment/ A lot of us conservative Republicans think we are the party of economic growth and sensible international trade policies. Getting some sort of sane federal policy that balances security and minimally impeded cross-border movement of goods, services and labor is a quintessentially Republican/Conservative hallmark. The minute the Republican Party goes Tancredo on us, the Party will die as a force for conservative principles of economic growth and individual rights.

32. dennis c said on 21 Jun 2008 at 11:12 pm:

There is but one way to do it right!

Eisenhower did it in 1954.

Operation Wetback!

No, I did not use the word, I reported it.

Wikipedia, type in the same thing and you will see how it should be done.

33. Rick Bentley said on 22 Jun 2008 at 12:30 am:

McCain’s solution is Amnesty

And ironically it will almsot surely be the death of the Republican party, it will ensure a huge Democratic voting bloc for generations

34. Bl said on 22 Jun 2008 at 9:09 am:

Immigration policies are destroying Nations, The USA will become an Spanish speaking Cesspool of Crime, Corruption, Poverty and Misery as the Millions of Hispanics create the same type society here that they created in Latin American. It is Ironic that people create the same type of environment in their new nations that they flee from in their old nations. Communities all across the USA are increasing getting less like the Character and Culture of the people that played by the rules, fought the wars, payed the taxes, and build this Nation as a beacon of freedom for the world but like the Corrupt, Crime ridden countries the invaders build in their home countries!

35. Ducky said on 22 Jun 2008 at 9:50 am:

Dragged Kicking and Screaming, Tancredo Will Pull Lever for McCain
    June 10, 2008 6:53 PM

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., has reluctantly come to the conclusion that he will have to vote for Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., whose immigration reform bill Tancredo blasted as amnesty.

“Sometimes I say to myself, ‘Can I really do this?’” Tancredo said of voting for McCain, according to the Rocky Mountain News. “And then you listen to Obama or Hillary and say, ‘Yeah, I have to.’”

At a debate last October Tancredo sounded less sure of such an idea.

Tancredo told the News he couldn’t vote for Libertarian presidential candidate Bob Barr, who has similar views as he does on immigration, because Barr has “a blind spot on radical Islam.”

- jpt

36. freedom said on 22 Jun 2008 at 10:14 am:

Would you prefer to put up a fight against those who want what you have or those who simply want you dead and then, take what they want?

Quite a choice, huh? :(

37. AWCheney said on 22 Jun 2008 at 4:01 pm:

“Couldn’t agree with you more, BL, and it must be stopped. However, they (the invaders from the south) have one saving grace — they’re not intent on killing us.”

Maybe not…but their leadership is intent upon rounding us all up and shipping us back to Europe and, after that, I expect they’d want to do the same with the blacks by shipping them back to Africa. If that’s not a formula for civil war, I don’t know what is.

38. freedom said on 22 Jun 2008 at 6:21 pm:

…and so, AWC….does that mean that because of Obama’s “strong stand against illegal aliens, and his promise to secure our border” (cough, cough…) you, like Greg, are going to support him rather than John McCain?

39. AWCheney said on 22 Jun 2008 at 7:51 pm:

I said before freedom, in a choice between the two, I vote to move to New Zealand. Does that answer your question?

40. freedom said on 22 Jun 2008 at 7:53 pm:

Ah yes, AWC, me too, but guess what…they won’t allow us to stay…. :(

41. AWCheney said on 22 Jun 2008 at 7:57 pm:

Bottom line is, my vote is MY business. I’m not out there actively campaigning for ANYONE against John McCain, which means that I AM living up to my “Republican Oath,” although minimally in his case. It’s very inappropriate for ANYONE to ask ANYONE else how they are voting. It’s just none of their business…that’s the reason we have “secret” ballots.

42. AWCheney said on 22 Jun 2008 at 7:58 pm:

Yeah freedom, aren’t their immigration laws great…and SO logical!

43. freedom said on 22 Jun 2008 at 8:29 pm:

Sorry if I offended you, AWC….wasn’t my intent…and yes, I certainly realize whose business your vote is. I didn’t mean my question as you took it.

44. AWCheney said on 22 Jun 2008 at 9:34 pm:

That’s OK freedom…I, and probably everybody else, get that question all the time. My response was as much for others as for you.

45. KO said on 22 Jun 2008 at 9:42 pm:

Benedict Arnold was a hero to his country at one time as well.

46. James Young said on 22 Jun 2008 at 11:03 pm:

Sorry, “And Justice For All,” “BoyTrewth”: don’t buy it. Whatever McCain’s deficiencies — and he has them — no “Conservative” of any stripe could, in his right mind, vote for Obama.

47. Greg L said on 22 Jun 2008 at 11:36 pm:

It’s not necessary to actually vote for Obama, which I doubt many would have the stomach to do. Any otherwise reliable Republican voter who simply doesn’t cast a ballot in the presidential race, or writes in a better candidate at least sends an important message.

Call it the “I’d rather be fishing than vote for McCain” approach.

48. freedom said on 23 Jun 2008 at 7:07 am:

No Greg, that’s a vote for Obama whichever way you wanna slice it.

Illegal immigration aside, we can not tolerate Obama for a number of other reasons and if you “bail out,” you’re not helping in the fight against the socialists. :(