It’s No Fun Employing An Illegal Alien

By Greg L | 26 June 2008 | Illegal Aliens, Virginia Politics, Crime | 36 Comments

In order to roll out Verizon FIOS on-schedule, Verizon hires a bunch of contractors, who then hire their own subcontractors that avail themselves of the cheap illegal alien labor that Verizon has learned it cannot directly employ.  Apparently these contractors manage to fulfill their need for cheap labor by swinging by day labor sites, where 75-95% of the labor force is comprised of illegal aliens.  No pesky forms to fill out, no witholdings to be made, it is an easy way for these folks to evade federal tax regulations, laws prohibiting the employment of illegal aliens, and evade Verizon’s training requirements.  This would work pretty well, except you got to actually pay these day laborers.  When you don’t, they break their silence about how they are being exploited, and start bringing some rather unwelcome press attention.

Of course CASA de Maryland, the taxpayer-supported entity that helps ensure these illegal aliens can receive their back pay, has got to be very careful about what questions the day laborers answer, lest they come clean about their legal status in this country:

When ABC 7 reporter Andrea McCarren tried to ask one of the day laborers protesting if they were in the country illegally or if the subcontractors were hiring illegally, she was interrupted by a CASA de Maryland lawyer. They said McCarren couldn’t ask the question.

Oh, no.  You can’t actually wonder about whether this is just the tip of the iceberg of rampant lawless behavior.  That wouldn’t be politically correct, and it might possibly endanger the millions of taxpayer dollars that Montgomery County and the State of Maryland provide to CASA de Maryland every year which they use to support the wanton and reckless violation of federal law.

What I find particularly stunning here is that according to the ABC 7 report, day laborers have won judgments against Verizon contractors of more than $200,000 for their failure to pay day laborers.  IRS rules require witholdings be made whenever someone is paid more than $600 in a calendar year, which should be a huge red flag for the IRS to audit these contractors, now that there’s a court transcript to document possible state and federal tax evasion.  If these contractors failed to comply with the requirement to complete an I-9 form for these workers that they didn’t bother to pay, that would be a separate federal felony, particularly if these workers turned out not to be quite documented.  This is the ultimate in low-hanging fruit, as you have testimony under oath and documents already admitted into evidence that should be sufficient to establish a basis for state and federal felony prosecutions.

These contractors seem to violate every law and ordinance they can.  They harbor illegal aliens in overcrowded single family residences in places like Sterling Park.  They unlawfully employ illegal aliens, fail to withold taxes on these unlawful employees, and then don’t even bother to pay them.  If ever there was a cause to employ laws prohibiting Racketerring and Corrupt Organizations, this would have to be it.  So when is law enforcement actually going to bother to enforce the law here?

It better be pretty darned quick.  This is outrageous.

1. starryflights said on 26 Jun 2008 at 12:51 pm:

When any worker (contractor) steps foot onto our property, do we have the right to ask for proof that they can legally work in this country, before allowing them to do so? Do property owners have any rights here?

2. What's next said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:06 pm:

Good question starryflights, I live in a condo complex, can I ask our HOA if they can prove that the landscapers are legal citizens?

3. Advocator said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:14 pm:

Starryflights: Yes, you do have the right to prevent a contractor’s employee from coming on YOUR property (assuming there’s no easement, that it’s not community property, etc.) to perform a contract that you’ve entered into if you have reason to believe the employee is not legally employed. You should notify the contractor why you are refusing him access.

I recently had some windows replaced in my home, and at the time the sales rep had me sign the agreement, I penciled in that “the contractor has verified that all employees are legal residents of the United States.” The first contractor’s rep that I told I would do that (possibly Paramount) refused to deal further with me. When the workforce of the contractor that I finally hired showed up, I asked each worker personally if they were legal residents of the US. All but one said yes, and I had no reason to doubt them. The other said, “I think so. I’m from West Virginia.”

4. jz said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:15 pm:

if they are working for you then yes you have the right. however if they are subbing for something like verizon you can call and lodge a complaint but they dont have to show you proof at your home, verizon is assumed to have taken care of that already.

5. El Guapo said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:17 pm:

The only problem is that the IRS has to abide by the actual law and regulations, not the imaginary laws that some blogger dreams up.

Form I-9 and withholdings are only required for employees. When I hired a contractor to build an addition on the house, I was not required to complete Form I-9. Neither was a required to withhold taxes. Those things are required for employees, not contractors labor.

6. L.King said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:23 pm:

A home invasion robbery in Springfield, VA: Both HIspanic suspects wore long-sleeved shirts with “Verizon Wireless” logos.

7. What's next said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:26 pm:

So I can’t ask my condo complex’s HOA to show proof the people they hire are legal to work here?

8. manassascityresident said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:32 pm:

Speaking of contractors….I just had my basement finished and used LEGAL, ENGLISH SPEAKING workers. Look on the Help Save Manassas website to see a listing of legit businesses if you want good, quality work!

9. Rick Bentley said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:37 pm:

Damn L King that’s a good find. Verizon Wireless, the T-Shirt of choice for burglars.

10. What's next said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:37 pm:

any site showing non-legit businesses?

11. BattleCat said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:40 pm:

L.King,

It would be hilarious if they robbed Dickie Saslaw’s house.

12. Rick Bentley said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:53 pm:

That’s funny to me that these guys thought nothing of wearing the Verizon Wireless shirts when they pulled a burglary.

13. Mando said on 26 Jun 2008 at 2:05 pm:

What are the chances of getting contractor laws changed? Sure seems like a loop-hole to me. Going after the little fish isn’t going to fix anything. I thought the Govt. figured that out with drug dealers. Verizon is the supplier here. The big fish. These little contractors are just the junkies on the corners peddling the stuff. You take down one and another is waiting in the shadows to take its place and Verizon is laughing all the way to the bank.

I don’t know what burns me up more… the fact that this is going on or the Verizon rep being quoted everytime saying “We at Verizon are absolutely against this practice”. BS

14. What's next said on 26 Jun 2008 at 2:13 pm:

Great point Mando, it’s the whole cut the head off and the body will fall philosophy and I agree with that but if a company hires a subcontractor and that contractor uses illegal labor then it’s hard to prove the “company” directly hired illegal labor.

Now, can anyone answer my question? Can I ask my HOA if they can prove the contractors they hire can legally work here? I would feel safer if they could prove all people working in and around the community are legal residents.

15. Advocator said on 26 Jun 2008 at 2:35 pm:

Go ahead and ask, WN. I’m not sure what, if any, recourse you would have if they did not comply with your request. I doubt it if the HOA is under any obligation to respond to your request.

16. jz said on 26 Jun 2008 at 3:02 pm:

the HOA cares when you leave your trashcan out too long, they dont get a rats a&& about anything else I’m afraid (other than collecting their dues every month or quarter)

jz

17. Brian Leeper said on 26 Jun 2008 at 3:14 pm:

“I’m not sure what, if any, recourse you would have if they did not comply with your request.”

There may well be a vacancy on the HOA board he could fill.

18. Harry said on 26 Jun 2008 at 3:23 pm:

Most homes built in the past 7 years were built with illegal labor, the big builders like Centex, KBS, etc,sub out virtually all of the work, the subs then bring in illegals at $10/hr cash to do the work. I foyu bought a new home in PWC in the past 10 years you fostered illegals, you should destroy your home and rebuild it using only legal labor…don’t you think?

19. What's next said on 26 Jun 2008 at 3:30 pm:

Good point Brian Leeper, my wife is actually going to run for one of the seats of the HOA when it comes up again. Maybe we will find the answers to all of our questions then.

20. Lefty said on 26 Jun 2008 at 3:49 pm:

Harry: What would you have me do if I find out my urologist is an illegal?

21. Taco Truck Ted Tickled Pink said on 26 Jun 2008 at 4:56 pm:

What’s next said on 26 Jun 2008 at 1:37 pm:
    any site showing non-legit businesses?

Look at the top of the page!

Me So Happy Taco for Everbody Free!

22. manassascityresident said on 26 Jun 2008 at 5:10 pm:

TTT - love your ad at the top of the BVBL front page!

23. Dave in PWC said on 26 Jun 2008 at 5:46 pm:

The workers have turned onto Aaron Lane and started digging there this morning. I called the ICE hotline, still saw them working when I got home from work, guess that didn’t work…

24. monticup said on 26 Jun 2008 at 7:59 pm:

Lefty: Is your urologist an illiterate, uneducated peasant?

25. Taco Truck Ted Tickled Pink said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:15 pm:

manassascityresident said on 26 Jun 2008 at 5:10 pm:
    TTT - love your ad at the top of the BVBL front page!

Greg L my big time amigo!

Free tacos for everybody!

26. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:22 pm:

Monticup,

Who else would do a job that MOST could NOT stomach…ewwwww
    I would have to say Lefty has a good question

27. MaaddMaaxx said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:02 pm:

What’s Next, You can find a national list of companies that hire illegal’s here: http://www.wehirealiens.com/

There is also a link to submit companies that hire illegals for inclusion.

Unfortunately, I think this is the “Jesse Jackson, we’ll boycott you” approach.

I think a civil RICO suit charging employers with all the wrong doings of the illegal employees off whom they profited (profiting from illegal acts being the key to civil RICO suits).

hit them in the pocket book. make it less profitable to hire illegals and they will quit hiring them.

MM

28. Junes_Reston said on 27 Jun 2008 at 6:42 am:

Interesting news blip this morning - home improvement contractors are now seeing more competition as home owners opt to upgrade existing homes rather than buy new.

One contractor said he recently met with a potential client to discuss a home improvement project. At the interview, the homeowners told him after checking his references and talking with their neighbors, they would get back to him and let him know if he would be allowed to bid on the job.

I LOVE IT!

During a meeting with members of my community, we were talking about all the unknowns re home improvement contractors. All concurred that no contractor in his/her right mind would list a “bad” reference. If you REALLY want to know how the job was done, and who was doing the job, talk with the neighbors.

Neighbors will tell you things the homeowner, contractor and even the public records will not.

TALK TO THE NEIGHBORS. They will tell you more about the contractor and the workers than anyone. As they have nothing to lose, most won’t hold back.

Some of those “neighbors” were at this meeting. Even though they are not outspoken activists, some expressed concern that more and more jobs are being done by non-English speaking people who aren’t quite as careful on the job and conduct themselves in ways that might not be accpetable with workers doing the same work just 10 years ago.

———

Someone asked about HOAs and an individual’s right to block work by a contractor who uses illegals …. probably not! When the Board is elected the members give the Board the right to act on behalf of them. Price is a determining factor. Sometimes you luck out - other times you get what you pay for.

Our Board just contracted with paving company that is easily 90% Hispanic. We won’t know what other shortcuts were taken for a couple years when the paving either settles in or buckles and crumbles.

The previous Board contracted with Brickman Landscaping who included as part of their contract a bullet point that they have Seasonal Guest Worker Visas for 60% of their staff. Whether this is true or not, we don’t know because the Board took them at their word. The quality of work is shoddy at best and we have since amended the contract to exclude tree trimming because they did such a poor job, a few of our trees were destroyed.

In the end, it all comes down to the bottom line. We got a great quote on the landscaping, that ended up costing us more because we had to hire a separate tree service company.

29. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:17 am:

Here is a link to check out contractors. They check insurance and bonding for you.

30. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:22 am:

Until there are negative consequences for the employers, they will continue to hire them and be able to deny knowledge that they were illegal. We need to give them a fine, not a slap on the wrist 10,000 dollar fine, but a 5,000 dollar PER DAY PER EMPLOYEE fine. This would hit them where it hurts!!! Use the fines to support the 287(g) program for cities that might not be able to afford it or use it to fund more raids.

31. C. Armstrong said on 27 Jun 2008 at 11:48 am:

I work for the Feds in law enforcement - I’d rather not say which agency. About a year ago, a bunch of Spanish people showed up to wash our windows and I asked her head Security (ex-Sheriff) if they were legal and he refused to answer my question. When I went to the Security Shack to check their ID’s they were all IDs from El Salvador. When I re-approached the head of Security and told him what I found, he called me a “racist” and said that the company told him they couldn’t guarantee who would be coming to wash our windows. Later, I found out that the head of Security (a legal immigrant) went out to lunch with the entire group of illegal window washers. I find it disgusting that an agency such as the one I work with would knowingly hire illegal immigrants and allow them on a locked down property. If the Feds can get away with it…anyone can.

32. Johnson said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:35 pm:

C. Armstrong-
    As a fellow GSer, I encourage you to document and follow up on that incident through your chain of command. That situation is unacceptable. Once again, the building contractors hired the window washing contractors without taking responsibility for whom they were sending into a federally controlled facility. How hard would it be for a terrorist to enter the area as a subcontractor? With a few big boxes?

33. Dave in PWC said on 27 Jun 2008 at 5:35 pm:

Caught this tidbit on one of the other secure the border sites:

Q: Recently you had the number to call to report illegal immigrants in the paper. Can you print that number again please?

A: According to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website, www.ice.gov, you can report illegal immigrants or suspicious activity by calling their hotline, 1-866-DHS-2-ICE or 1-866-347-2423. You can contact ICE to report illegal aliens, employers that hire illegal labor, smugglers, document fraud and other crimes by illegal aliens.

I watched the White panel vans load up the day workers at Coverstone 7-11 this morning and I pulled a U-Turn when the light changed and followed them back up Coverstone and Aaron where they were dropped off and given hardhats and shirts to wear. I just reported this to ICE, maybe they will act if more of us report the same complaint.

34. Junes_Reston said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:59 pm:

Johnson said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:35 pm:
    C. Armstrong-

GSA awarded a contract to a Richmond contractor to build a Federal Courthouse in the Richmond area.

Even after the ICE raid (generally not done on the “spur of the moment”), the contractor was allowed to continue the project without penalty.

Most commercial contracts with the Federal Government are reviewed and awarded by GSA.

GSA awards thousands of small business contracts, with emphasis on minority owned. They focus eligibility on the Prime only, relying on a statement that they will comply with all employment laws.

The Richmond Court House Contract is one of who knows how many GSA contracts with blatant hiring violations. After the ICE raid, GSA was made aware of the contract violation, yet still allowed the contractor to continue without penalty.

Is it really a surprise that window washers, cleaning staff and ground maintenance personnel working in Federal office buildings are more often than not illegal aliens?

November is just around the corner. If we want to see change, we need to change the people who are representing us in Congress.

35. Taco Truck Ted Tickled Pink said on 28 Jun 2008 at 11:10 am:

C. Armstrong said on 27 Jun 2008 at 11:48 am:

You can look yourself in the mirror everyday and know you tried.

“Any man who loses his spoon, spends a night in the box”

36. zeezil said on 28 Jun 2008 at 12:41 pm: