The Ethics That Attend Obama Rallies

By Greg L | 26 June 2008 | Prince William County | 55 Comments

Here’s a fascinating account of how Gina Bellamy, a school nurse with the Prince William County School system, lied to her employer about being ill in order to lend her presence to the underwhelming audience that greeted Barack Obama at Nissan Pavillion last month.  When you’re playing hooky from school, it’s best not to go mouthing off to Washington Post reporters.  That might especially be the case when your job is to ensure the health and safety of school students, who presumably were left without without a school nurse that day.

Gina Bellamy, 46, told her boss that she felt sick and needed to take the rest of the day off. Bellamy, a school nurse in Prince William County, planned to leave work at noon, but when she heard reports that as many as 50,000 people were expected at the rally, she didn’t want to chance it. So she left about 11 a.m.

“I even pulled my baby out of school, and I never do that,” said Bellamy, referring to her 14-year-old daughter, Stephanie. “But she told her teachers the truth and said that she was going to see Obama.”

“She doesn’t get it, but one day, she is going to tell her kids about how her crazy mama dragged her to see Obama. I didn’t just want her to watch it on TV. I wanted her to see this,” said Bellamy.

What would have happened had a school employee told a reporter that they skipped work with a fake illness in order to see a Republican candidate?   Oh, I’m just sure the coverage of that would have been exactly similar, just as I’m certain that the high school teachers would have been as equally eager to see a student miss half of a school day in order to attend a Republican political rally.

So far, the alert BVBL reader who noticed this hasn’t gotten any response from the school system after asking some pointed questions.  He and the rest of Prince William County’s taxpayers effectively paid for Ms. Bellamy to attend this rally, and we deserve some answers here.  It’s not like the schools are supposedly so overstaffed that we have nothing for school employees to do other than display their faulty ethics to newspaper reporters at political rallies for liberals like Barack Obama.

It is somehow rather fitting that attending the political activities of Barack Obama necessitate lies.  Go figure.

UPDATE: A source of mine in the school system told me this evening that they did take action against this employee pretty quickly, as a lot of folks called soon after this article was published.  I’m not sure what was done, as this is a personnel matter and school personnel are pretty tight-lipped about those.  At least now we know that as long as the behavior is documented in the Washington Post, the school system will actually do something.   Perhaps “Math Investigations” and the Multi-Cultural Department could benefit from an embedded reporter…

1. CONVA said on 26 Jun 2008 at 4:48 pm:

Why would anyone be surprised that a member of our local schools would do something like this? Aren’t they all union members? After all, if Hussein can lie, (he attend a Muslim school, before he didn’t) ,and flip-flop, shouldn’t we expect the same from his supporters?

2. Bl said on 26 Jun 2008 at 4:49 pm:

In spite of what Obama thinks, even white stupid bitter rednecks that Believe in God, loves this Nation, support the second Amendment, Article IV Section IV against Invasion, and the rule of Law, know this much: When you take money out of your wallet and lay that money down for the same cause, week after week, month after month, year after year, for 20 years…you HAVE endorsed and believe in the Message and you have most assuredly endorsed the MESSENGER.

For 20 years Obama has supported Reverend Wright and his Radical American Hating Racist Paranoid Rants, but now that he wants to be President he throws the man under the bus alone with his Grandmother & his radical black church! The question is just how bitter is Obama at whites, and what kind of man is he that is seeks to be President? It seems that with Obama Bull Sh-t Talks and Truth, Honestly and Character walks! Its time for American voters to throw Obama under the Bus!

The most significantly telling aspect of Senator Obama’s press conference on Tuesday is that, once again, like the ABC debate, we witness a petulant and irritated Senator Obama; angry that he is being asked to take responsibility for the choices he has made regarding his personal and professional associations. Apparently Senator Obama believes his words are so magical that they alone should instantly be able to wipe clean 20 years of actions that directly contradict and disprove his excuses. Give me the names of any other politicians where we take them at their word alone. Good luck. Senator Obama decries that further questioning is “getting off message” while, conveniently, never connecting that a candidate’s beliefs and character are every bit as much a part of “the message” as policy promises.

A few short weeks ago, in Philadelphia, Senator Obama hypnotized the world into believing his grandmother was racist, Geraldine Ferraro was a racist and the American public were racists, while completely ignoring the fact that the very reason everyone had gathered in that room was due to his decision to support an Extremist Black Agenda…for 20 years. He is now attempting once again to shift the blame for this crisis onto Reverend Wright by clinging to the excuse that the Wright of today differs drastically from the Wright who led him to Jesus. Does Senator Obama not realize that we can easily recall that it was not even one year ago that Senator Obama is seen on film lauding the “current” Reverend Wright at Hampton University as “a great leader, not just for Chicago, but for all over our country”? Does he not realize that we recall that it was only 4 short months ago that Senator Obama was so pleased with the “current” Reverend Wright, that he personally placed him on his Presidential Election Campaign through his “National African American Religious Leadership Committee”? He wasn’t “disapproving” of the “current” Reverend Wright 4 months ago.

Reverend Wright is Reverend Wright; he espouses what he believes, like it or not and tapes reveal his message has remained constant. The change is not coming from Reverend Wright, the only change in this entire scenario is that Wright’s message is no longer politically advantageous to Senator Obama and that is the only reason we have now seen a denouncement – after 20 years of full fledged acceptance and endorsement.

How long will Americans allow a top contender for President of the United States to repeatedly hide behind, “I didn’t know” with regard to Wright, Rezko and so many other important issues and even more importantly what else do WE not know?

3. Ted said on 26 Jun 2008 at 5:07 pm:

Cut her some slack. She was going to see Obama, the Messiah, the last hope of not only American, but the entire world!!!

With him all the wrongs of the world will be righted. Without him we all die.

P Diddy said so.

4. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 5:23 pm:

Let this be a lesson NOT to call in sick and appear as a game show contestant or on a talk show. We are all guilty of REASONS why when they tug at your heart or purse sting.

5. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 5:27 pm:

If I called in sick to have a PARTY at my house, don’t think I would hesitate to answer the door for Ed McMahon ( sp) to except my check :)

6. Dolph said on 26 Jun 2008 at 7:25 pm:

I would think that the woman would be embarrassed enough without this blog having to rub it in. It isn’t a democrat or republican thing. The lady is excited over Obama. Isn’t that nice that someone likes at least one of the choices for president? Perhaps you all are jealous because of how many people have clearly stated how much they hate both candidates.

It won’t be discussed in public. I feel certain the county has dealt with the issue with the person involved but no one here will ever hear about it. In fact, I expect she was probably docked a day’s pay since she was so public. Perhaps it can flip over to annual leave or personal leave. We will never know.

To the teacher hater who posted above, school nurses generally don’t join teacher’s professional organizations or unions. They join nursing organizations.

Red Dawn is right. It is a serious lesson about trusting the media, especially when you are lying to your employer. They want the story. Never think they are going to watch out for your interests.

7. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 7:42 pm:

Thanks Dolph!

Media is ONE thing and I would say the BIGGER shame is on the CO-worker to want to point fingers and alert the blog media. What a way to teach T.E.A.M. work. I hate the back stabbing SH%T’s in the world of pay taxes and die ;)

and yes, I see that I said except instead of accept a check from EDDIE..I always argued with my English teacher…it is all about INTENT

8. Ducky said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:05 pm:

Thank you all for supporting the McCain campaign (even though you likely didn’t mean to do so).

9. charles said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:25 pm:

Why didn’t she just take time off? She likes Obama, but not enough to pay for it herself?

Pretty much makes her a perfect Obama supporter, because he wants to give hist supporters other people’s money.

10. Anonymous said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:26 pm:

She cheated the system and got caught, and I bet is all a pucker now due to having no work ethic. If she had been where she was supposed to be, or honest about it OK, it is nice to hear of her being excited. What do you think persons working non governmenr jobs would have happen? I expect you would likely be looking for job. She will get a reprimand and still get the same raise she would get otherwise. So, a little embarrasment is not all that bad compared to losing your job. Also it is not a good example now for her daughter, ehhh?

11. charles said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:28 pm:

It was also interesting that she specifically notes that her daughter told the truth to her teachers, while she herself was lying to her boss.

12. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:30 pm:

Charles,

You are right, F*CK spontaneity~! For WHATEVER reason

13. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 8:46 pm:

Charles,

Actually, I would say your comments reflect why a person would be in the position to do what she did and the reason why one would feel guilty when they do call in sick. It is a simple case of there is LIFE outside of work but the majority spends their life at work.

It is supposed to be perfect, hence the phony question of ” good morning, how are you?” when you just saw those jokers yesterday but the answer should always be followed up with the phony answer ” just fine, how are you? good, good and walk your separate ways…. LOL..it is all protocol and I wonder why?

Regardless if they are sick or not, the guilt or spontaneity’s comes form the jurors, I mean coworkers…..

14. Rick Bentley said on 26 Jun 2008 at 9:44 pm:

OMG.

Let those of you without sin cast the first pebble. How many of you access this blog during work hours?

15. Dolph said on 26 Jun 2008 at 9:50 pm:

Funny how the WaPo is the great satan of all newspapers unless it serves the purpose of character assassination. Then it becomes the gospel.

The thought occurred to me that perhaps she was misquoted. Would that have made the writer any happier if she had been that excited over seeing that other great satan (according to this blog) McCain?

New nadir here.

16. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 9:53 pm:

Rick,

xoxox’s, EXACTLY!

ON top of having to deal with the “Shifts” at work ( co workers) that do NOT sign your paycheck, AND spend MOST of their time complaining about other people…LOL

17. MM said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:17 pm:

Having worked with Gina in the past in PWCS, I can say that she is a very dedicated worker. So she took the afternoon off - if she has the sick leave, what’s the difference? And how do we know that she didn’t use personal leave?

Like Rick said, NONE of you have ever faked being ill or said that you don’t feel good in order to go do something else?

And CONVA, Virginia doesn’t allow membership in unions. There are teacher organizations, such as NEA and AFT, but as teachers we aren’t allowed to strike or negotiate salary. Do some research before you start basing teachers. And membership is voluntary - you don’t have to belong to either association in order to be hired.

18. Emma said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:21 pm:

Oh, please. Nursing is a tough enough job without you all trying to stick it to this woman. Ever take a “mental health day?” I certainly have.

19. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:23 pm:

Join with me in the chant ” use it or loose it” which would cost more to prove it!!!… Again, use it or loose it….LOL, job shifts that want to create trouble because they do not KNOW how to deal with LIFE at work and outside ;)

20. Dolph said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:30 pm:

MM, thanks for defending your colleague. I would have if I knew her.

Emma, not all of us were trying to stick it to her. I thought her excitement was neat. I am sorry the WaPo betrayed her. Newspapers are known for that though.

Rick, you bring up an excellent point about people blogging from work. I don’t know a living soul who hasn’t taken a mental health day.

21. Red Dawn said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:38 pm:

Dolph,

“I don’t know a living soul who hasn’t taken a mental health day.”

LOL! Maybe some of those “shifts” should! I cannot recall a infomercial about not being CONSTIPATED or DEPRESSED! :)

22. CitizenofManassas said on 26 Jun 2008 at 11:17 pm:

Dolph,

Of course you defend the socialist who supports a fellow socialist, and don’t even think to say Obama is anything but that. I bet this “nurse” is a member of the NEA. Yup, that is setting a good example for students, lying. But, then again she is a lib, we should not be surprised.

23. Anonymous said on 26 Jun 2008 at 11:22 pm:

Dolph said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:30 pm:
    I am sorry the WaPo betrayed her. Newspapers are known for that though.

Can we assume you have cancelled your subscription?

24. Krutis said on 26 Jun 2008 at 11:41 pm:

As for taking a kid out of school, I say:

Never let school interfere with education!

25. Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 12:41 am:

anonymous, why should I cancel my subscription to a newspaper? Don’t assume. I try not to be a knee-jerk AH.

CoM, school nurses generally don’t join teacher associations. Why would they?

I defend all sorts of people. I would probably defend you also if I thought you had been wronged. I just find the duplicity of using a newspaper to vilify someone one day and calling it a liberal rag the next day somewhat disingenuous.

Speculating about equal treatment for Republicans is even more disingenuous after calling the heir apparent to the Republican nomination a lying son of a bitch. Is Obama also a lying son of a bitch?

26. SLB said on 27 Jun 2008 at 7:45 am:

It’s definitely wrong, very wrong, to assume that most teachers are liberals. As a former educator in PWCPS, I knew many, many Christian and/or conservative teachers. As for this teacher, she screwed up by telling the POST she was skipping work to attend a political rally. She should have simply stated that she took some personal leave in order to be there. We may not agree with the politics…but, many of you would have done the same thing if a right-wing candidate who you like was coming to the area during your work hrs. Heck, many of you probably have skipped work to play 18 holes on a beautiful spring day.

What you should be focusing on, and haven’t…

PWCPS Assoc. Supt. Melvin Brown was dismissed earlier this year from this job. A fill-in, former Assoc. Kris Pedersen, is now in his place. Supposedly, the rumor goes that it had something to do with a jealous husband bringing a gun to Ind. Hill (which resulted in a lockdown), and inappropriate e-mails sent by Brown to a co-worker. I’ve seen nothing on this blog about this…the story has been out there awhile - just wondering. And, just another perfect example of a Walts screw-up, by putting an immoral person in a high-ranking job!!

27. Liela said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:11 am:

Dolph said on 26 Jun 2008 at 10:30 pm:
    “MM, thanks for defending your colleague. I would have if I knew her.

So, let’s recap: It’s OK for the nurse to have lied in order to get of work (since we all apparently do it), but it’s wrong for the Post reporter to have included the person’s name and information in the story?”

Another example of twisted Dolphian logic. Her moral compass is spinning in the wind.

28. Anonymous said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:18 am:

Readers might also want to be asking why another associate superintendent resigned suddenly. What is going here? This one was an import from Greece. I don’t question people’s morality based on rumor but I sure do question judgement.

Why does the superintendent need to bring his own crew with him and why did the school board ok this move? Was there not enough talent here in PWC?

One might want to check into where Mr. Brown went. Look just a little south. I wonder if there was full disclosure when he was hired?

29. Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:55 am:

No LIE, I didn’t address the lying part. If you weren’t there, you don’t know what really happened or what was really said, now do you? Are you a sheep who just follows along? Don’t you think for yourself?

I just don’t believe in hanging someone over what is said in the Washington Post or the Journal Messenger. People are very often misquoted in both.

I am sure the county long since handled the issue based on the report in the WaPo. To rub salt in the wounds is just not necessary. Your moral compass is non-existent or you wouldn’t harass every time nearly every time I post on this blog.

Now run on and blog from work….you know, that moral way to use your boss’s time for your own pleasure. Get over your silly self.

30. Anonymous said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:00 am:

SLB, sorry, not the case for conservatives. Most of them WOULD NOT lie to the boss (in fact many conservatives are self employed) and use sick leave to go see a conservative leader or go to a conservative rally.

Its not part of the conservative ‘make up’. Conservatives dont see politicains as messiahs like liberals do. Conservatives just want to trust the elected officials to protect their safety and not let govt. get out of control. This is why most conservatives DONT like W. or McCain.

The cult of personality reigns in liberal circles. President Reagan is the one noted exception for conservatives. With Liberals, the list goes on and on from the god like worship (oh camelot) of the Kennedy family, to B. Clinton, Al Gore, H. Clinton, B. Obama. They all thrive on worship.

31. Bob Wills said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:35 am:

MM Virgina is a Right to Work state which allows you to work without being required to be in a union but it does not disalow unions to operate in VA. It is your matter of choice. Many of the workers at the supermarkets are union as an example.

32. Che' said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:36 am:

Krutis said on 26 Jun 2008 at 11:41 pm:
    “As for taking a kid out of school, I say:

Never let school interfere with education!”

That explains a lot about Krusty! Another famous saying by Krustis is “never let blogging interfere with chalupa time”.

Enjoy!

33. Liela said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:40 am:

Meow! Put the claws back in grandma! Didn’t the Metamucil kick in yet?

It’s not my fault you are so liberal you’d make an ACLU lawyer blush. Your moral compass is spinning, and everyone on this site can vouch for it. You always support teachers and people you “know”; while anyone else is usually public enemy #1.

34. CitizenofManassas said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:46 am:

Dolph,

Come on, you are a tool for the NEA and the public education system as a whole. Yes, you do dislike no child behind, because the NEA hates it.

When a liberal rag like the COMPOST highlights a story like this, it just confirms what we(conservatives) also think. She should have just taken a day off without coming up with a lie.

35. legal2 said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:54 am:

dolph, i could very well be wrong, but because school nurses routinely teach “health” classes (i.e., sex ed), they probably ARE in the teachers union. But I’m not sure how that is relevant to the nurse’s actions. Union or not, she is a lib who got caught in her lie. We shouldn’t expect there to be any consequences for her actions.

36. Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 11:53 am:

legal2,

I don’t know of any school nurses who teach health classes. I’m certain it happens somewhere though. My kids all had health classes taught by the PE teacher. All the school nurses I have known do nursing type things. My friend who is a school nurse and is not the one in question does not belong to PWEA or PWAFT nor does she teach health classes.

I expect there were consequences if the quote in the paper was accurate or even attributed to the right person. My only issue is why is it being discussed here, not whether saying something like that to a reporter is a wise thing. I also see blogging from work without your boss’s permission on the same order as lying and going to a political rally. In the case of blogging, as far as productivity for what you are being paid to do, ‘the lights are on but no one is home.’ In the case of feigning illness and leaving work, just the ‘no one is home’ is at play.

You, CoM, are the tool. I support the public education system, yes. You are correct. Do I think it is perfect? Far from it.

37. elvis said on 27 Jun 2008 at 12:40 pm:

I’ve been known to “call in sick” occasionally, actually I do it often..but oh wait, I work for myself :)

seriously though, this woman learned a hard lesson about opening lips to the media. and the media was pretty stupid too to spread that kind of information public when it really didnt add anything to the story. Not sure I would want to waste a day’s pay on an Obama rally or any rally for that matter. would rather spend it at the beach !

38. CONVA said on 27 Jun 2008 at 12:49 pm:

MM
    Virginia doesn’t stop anyone from joining a union. Virhinia is a “Right to Work State”, which means unions have little clout. But the “teachers” through their dues to the NEA support sundry socialists and their ultra-left leaning agenda. Teachers effectiveness…?… look at the dismal scores in reading “comprehension” and mathmatics. A friend of mine whom is a physics professor at VT has told me on numerous occassions that American freshman entering universities are ill prepared for the simplest of calculus problem solving, whereas the foreign students are amazed at how easy it is. There may be many problems why, but I lay it at the feet of those that support goofy ideas on how to approach math, and endorse the teachIng of it…TEACHERS. When I was in school every teacher was well dressed and groomed and very professional. Go into most public schools today and look at the slovenly crew…ugh!

39. Liela said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:14 pm:

Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 11:53 am:
    legal2,

“Both of my parents were educators much of their lives, as was my mother-in-law. I am not ashamed of their work nor the hundreds of lives the three of them influenced. What have you done to influence the lives of many young people?”

Oh, nothing other than paying tens of thousands of dollars in tax money to fund public education and social programs in numerous communities over my lifetime, and paying the salary for NEA minions to “teach” the children.

I don’t think it is becoming to brag about an activity you are getting PAID to do. Were your parents volunteers or something?

40. MM said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:21 pm:

Let’s see - I think that YOU are the main reason why I belong to the NEA - because you are the type of bastard that would sue a teacher because poor Johnny got an F.

What do I get with my “union” dues? Not much - other than someone who will fight for me against ridiculous laws such as NCLB, try to get me a decent living wage and guarantee that I am not working 10 - 12 hours a day for free.

I don’t know what schools you are going into, but all of the schools that I go into have staff that are well dressed and professional.

Just a question - did you have to get a license for you job? Do you have to continually enroll in college level classes in order to KEEP your job? Do you have to work “duties as otherwise specified” meaning that your boss can require you to work beyond your contract hours without pay? Do you get reimbursed for every item that you buy for work?

And nurses are NOT health teachers - physical education teachers teach health, not nurses.

If you are that unhappy with the public schools, pull your kid out and send them to a private school. Or better yet - since you know everything and those that have Master’s and Doctorate’s in education don’t, home school them.

41. MM said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:22 pm:

“did you have to get a license for you job”

Should read your job, sorry

42. CitizenofManassas said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:58 pm:

Dolph,

Good for you family. However, that does not excuse the liberal slant of the public school system and the NEA.

I have no doubt the NEA is pushing Obama to all of its members and this nurse was just stupid enough to blow the cover.

I’ve done plenty for youngsters, from community volunteerism to belonging to organizations that participate in the educating of kids.

43. legal2 said on 27 Jun 2008 at 2:09 pm:

Why are we justifying ourselves to Dolph? Just because teachers influence children, doesn’t mean it’s positive influence. Homeschooling was the best thing we did - no regrets.

44. SLB said on 27 Jun 2008 at 2:12 pm:

MM…I understand your frustration. I taught for 7 years, and loved it - I wouldn’t have left if $$ and family needs at home didn’t take over. Those individuals who have never stepped foot in a classroom, or have never spent time in a school setting on a regular basis will NEVER get it. Instead, it’s easier to sit back and throw stones at teachers for being liberals. Yes, there are many, many, many liberal teachers. I used to be one, or close to it. But, things change. People change. Politicians change…heck, the man that’s screwed up education the most if the conservatives’ beloved W with his asinine NCLB.

Keep fighting the good fight for our kids, and I agree - those who don’t like public schools should stop complaining and pull their kids out. It’s a shame, however, that the government does allow them to use their tax education to educate their kids the way they see fit…

As for the comment that most conservatives are self-employed…hmmm…I sincerely doubt it…I work for a govt. contractor and many of us are conservative.

45. Emma said on 27 Jun 2008 at 3:08 pm:

Yes, nurses do indeed teach. Anyone hear of Family Life Education? The school nurses in the City of Manassas teach it. Things have changed since many of you homeschoolers were in school yourselves.

46. Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 3:32 pm:

Emma, the school nurses in the county do not teach family life education. The PE teachers do. I am not sure who does it in elementary school.
    —————————————————————————–

SLB and mm are right on the mark. I think homeschooling is wonderful. It gets many of the grousers and complainers out of the school’s hair so teachers can teach. It is one less distraction.

—————————————————————————–

It is very unbecoming to brag about how much you pay in taxes, Lie-J. In fact, rich-boy, I bet you pay more than anyone else on this blog.

That bragging is right up there with blogging on the job…..sort of alliterative isn’t it? Braggin’ and bloggin’

47. CONVA said on 27 Jun 2008 at 3:58 pm:

MM said on 27 Jun 2008 at 1:21 pm:

You are apparently one of the myriad problems with public education when you use profanity in lieu of decent language. But on the other hand, what is one to expect from those of you and your ilk. And yes, I do have a license, and yes I did have my children educated in a private school, and yes I have to continue my education to keep up with technology, (not social engineering).

48. Emma said on 27 Jun 2008 at 5:02 pm:

Dolph, the City of Manassas is not in Prince William County.

49. Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 6:49 pm:

Please tell me it isn’t so, Emma. The city isn’t the county? Maybe I can sleep better at night now, knowing that. I certainly wasn’t implying the city is the county. I was speaking of the county only. I have no idea what happens in the city schools other than many of the students there have a death wish in the morning on the way to school the way they run out in front of traffic.

50. legal2 said on 27 Jun 2008 at 8:45 pm:

Dolph, get some sleep.

51. MM said on 27 Jun 2008 at 9:51 pm:

I’m the problem with public education? I spend my days (yes, I work over the summer, so don’t label me as one of “those” teachers who is only in education to get the summers off) working with children with severe disabilities/mental retardation/autism, for probably a fraction of what you make. I get told that my job means nothing, that I’ve “wasted my education” by teaching, that “those kids” don’t deserve to be in school.

Again - when you continue to treat us as unprofessional, what do you expect? Not every teacher is a member of the NEA or AFT, not every teacher is a liberal and not every teacher is a slob. Many have dedicated their lives to this and take pride in it.

CONVA said on 27 Jun 2008 at 3:58 pm:
    “But on the other hand, what is one to expect from those of you and your ilk.”

Thanks for the vote of confidence - do you feel the same way about your illustrious private school teachers? Or is it just us lowly public schools teachers?

52. Dolph said on 27 Jun 2008 at 10:22 pm:

legal2,

Why are you such an ugly-acting, nasty person who has something negative to say about just about everything about your own private agenda?

I have never done anything to you. Yet each and every time I comment on here, you have something totally crappy to say. Are you that unhappy?
    Are only people who think exactly like you do allowed to speak, in your world?

I don’t sit around on a blog waiting for someone to come along to take a cheap shot at. For that I am thankful. What are you thankful for other than you home schooled your kids? (and many public school teachers are thankful for that also I am sure).

53. choctaws said on 28 Jun 2008 at 6:41 am:

rEPUBLICANS WILL WILT IN THE NOVEMBER SUN LIKE THE WEEDS I JUST PUT ROUNDUP ON

54. Turn PW Blue said on 30 Jun 2008 at 9:00 am:

Bob Wills–

Teachers in Virginia are free to join unions and teacher associations (just like any other people in Virginia are allowed to unionize). However, teachers are barred by law from collective bargaining and striking which means the teacher unions in Virginia are not really the “all-powerful” bodies some would make them out to be.

Others–
    School nurses in the County (not City) schools are not teachers. They are heath care practitioners. At present, not every school in the county even has a nurse (all high schools do, all middle schools do, while some elementary schools share nurses).

Once again, this blog has devolved into much ado about nothing. Yes, Ms. Bellamy should not have said she was feeling ill when her intent was to go to the Obama rally. However, to assume that the newspaper’s coverage would have had a different slant had she been headed to a McCain rally is ludicrous. Further, I notice that many here are able to show up for early afternoon speaking engagements before the BOCS. Are all of you dutifully taking personal leave or have any of you ever felt a little “under the weather” instead?

I really think BVBL is no longer an appropriate name for this blog. Something like “Tempest in a Teapot” would be more appropriate.

55. CitizenofManassas said on 30 Jun 2008 at 11:15 am:

Turn Blue,

Stop defending a fellow socialist. The COMPOST is a liberal rag, and they run hit pieces all of the time on the GOP, just look how they treat the GOP in the Virginia General Assembly. So, it is not off base to assume they would have ran a different slant.

I’m not sure about others, but my work allows for a pretty flexible schedule, without having to lie about taking time off.