Keith Fimian: Tax Hikers “On A Different Planet”

By Greg L | 27 June 2008 | Virginia Politics, US Congress | 17 Comments

Speaking of elected officials who can clearly express a solid position, folks might be interested in Keith Fimian’s reaction to Dick Saslaw’s proposal to increase our taxes in order to spend more money on transportation.  No mincing of words here, for sure.  I’m really liking this guy.

“These guys are on a different planet,” said Fimian. “Raising gas taxes in the face of the biggest jump in gasoline prices since the invention of the internal combustion engine is not just a bad idea; it’s a symptom of a real sickness in our political system.”

“Transportation is important, but as a trained accountant, and as a small businessman who has had to deal with good times and bad, I think our government ought to be able to squeeze a little money out of a $36 Billion dollar budget for better roads,” said Fimian.

This is probably the best response to Saslaw’s tax hike since Speaker Howell gave him a gentlemanly shot at the beginning of a hearing of the House Finance Rules Committee last week.  It is a pretty classy way of demonstrating that the House decidedly does not appreciate someone coming in and begging them to steal more money from the taxpayers.

“Based on what I’ve heard,” [Dick Saslaw] said to the committee, “I should be asking for a cigarette and a blindfold.”

“Senator Saslaw,” Howell replied, “there’s no smoking in this building.”

UPDATE: As Delegate Marshall notes in the comments, instead of this bill going to the Finance Committee which one would expect, it instead went to the Rules Committee that Howell chairs.

1. BattleCat said on 27 Jun 2008 at 8:20 pm:

Fimian is my new hero!!! I heard on the news they were talking about raising gas taxes and I thought I was hearing things. “Wait a minute…gas just hit $4 a gallon, and these dudes are thinking to themselves “NOW is the right time to hike gas taxes!!” Wow. Dems will stop at nothing to increase the voter’s misery.

2. BattleCat said on 27 Jun 2008 at 8:20 pm:

Scratch that one quote mark.

3. The Oath said on 27 Jun 2008 at 8:46 pm:

But Fimian needs to articulate his positions on his site so we can smoke Connolly

4. J. Tyler Ballance said on 27 Jun 2008 at 11:47 pm:

The gas tax increase would cost the average driver only $15 per year more, than what we now pay at the pump. If we pay $3.94 or $4.00, it really doesn’t matter anymore. We are numb with shock every time we fill our tanks.

The gas tax is a tax that is paid by everyone who drives, including those out of state drivers.

It supplants the alternative of having idiotic “abuser fees” and the accompanying cops in bushes with radar guns, preying on us for revenue.

Even if this gas tax increase costs me $60 per year, I would rather pay that way, than have our law enforcement personnel used as revenue agents.

As for budget cuts, there have been many proposals floated, but few serious ideas submitted by our legislators. Bob Marshall proposed consolidating some museum staff. Other, non-legislators have suggested privatizing the ABC stores, privatizing the rest stops and welcome centers and others have suggested the elimination of redundant programs like the Minority Business Enterprise program (a function that is already performed by every agency that issues contracts).

I urge all citizens to take a thorough look at prior budgets and then write to your legislators and tell them what areas you would like to see subjected to targeted cuts, or consolidations.

Share your ideas for budget cuts/consolidations here, too. It will be interesting to see what budget cuts are proposed. Perhaps a Budget Cut Suggestion open thread is in order?

5. Bob Marshall said on 28 Jun 2008 at 12:36 am:

You were thinking logically. A tax bill should have gone to the House Finance Committee. Instead, it was sent to the Rules Committee by the Speaker, who as it happens, also chairs the Rules Committee.

Bills the Speaker wants to kill or control, he sends to the Rules Committee during this special session. This is not an orderly process. It depends upon the will of one person in a hundred member body, albeit done with the tacit consent of the other House members.

Bob Marshall

6. starryflights said on 28 Jun 2008 at 1:22 am:

It’s time to start drilling of the shore of VA and use some of that money to fix our transportation problems in Northern VA.

7. Junes_Reston said on 28 Jun 2008 at 7:20 am:

An alternative would be to run a query on all applications filed for benefits and services that do not have a social security number.

I think Virginians would be astounded by the amount of our tax dollars that are being paid out to subsidize illegal aliens and their children.

Although children born to illegal aliens in the US are US Citizens, as minors they may not apply for benefits except through a citizen advocate. The benefits of anchor babies comes when reach the age of majority.

Whenever this is brought up to Janet Howell and Ken Plum they infer that only a cold hearted B*s*a*d would even consider such a proposal.

The next time you converse with your VA Representatives, ask them how many illegal aliens and their anchor babies are currently enrolled in state funded Kaiser Permanente HMO.

8. Steve Bierfeldt said on 28 Jun 2008 at 10:46 am:

It’s a not just a democrat vs. republican problem, the problem is the state vs. the citizen. Raising taxes is a bad idea all across the board. Both democrats and republicans seem to have a problem with this simple philosophy. There are far too few true believers in liberty left in this state. Bob Marshall is one of them; let’s hope Keith Fimian continues to be one as well.

9. Free Citizen said on 28 Jun 2008 at 12:36 pm:

Hers hoping Fimian sticks to his guns!

He needs to stay away from those catering his outcome. These people have been closely tied to Kopko and have ruined the Party.

The Treasurer (Royce) has made a mess of the Books and never filed required reports.Big fines on this ,about 3 times.

This baggage would not be good for Fimian.

10. gstone said on 28 Jun 2008 at 1:11 pm:

Thank you Del Marshall for your hard work on behalf of hard working taxpayers.

11. es_la_ley said on 28 Jun 2008 at 4:42 pm:

Bob Marshall @ 28 Jun 2008 at 12:36 am:

Keep up the fight(s) Bob!

12. Peter said on 28 Jun 2008 at 4:55 pm:

Part of the problem is the WaPo and electect officials are blowing the transportation situation way out of proportion to reality. Yes, we have conjestion. But not gridlock. Maintanance?? compared to most places I’ve driven (primarily mid atlantic but also some western states and Europe) our roads are actually in VERY good condition. How often do we need to pay for ripping up perfectly good asphalt to resurface Old Bridge Rd or I-95. As for projects, since I moved to Va. in 81, there has been at least 2-3 major projects under way in NOVA every single year. The mixing bowl, the Wilson Bridge, the Fairfax County parkway, the PWC parkway, Rt 234 etc. etc.

Yeah, we have some serious transportation needs but if throwing money at the problem was the solution, it would be fixed by now.

BTW, by picking up slugs I am able to make the commute from Woodbridge to Capital Hill in under an hour door to door. I really can’t complain about that. The problem is that too many people want to live in Stafford and reach the Pentagon in 30 minutes.

13. Harry said on 30 Jun 2008 at 4:04 pm:

Prediction: Connolly 59%-Fimian 40%-Zippy the Chimp 1%

14. Wine Please said on 1 Jul 2008 at 11:40 am:

Peter said on 28 Jun 2008 at 4:55 pm:
    Apparently you don’t drive on I-66 or areas of the Beltway. I live in Bristow and on days that I need to drive to the Vienna metro station, it takes me an hour or more. There are days that it takes me 35 minutes just to get ONTO the expressway (I live off of Linton Hall Rd and get onto I-66 at the 234 Bypass exit)…all of this after widening I-66 to 4 lanes to exit 44.
    But I agree, after growing up in the south side of Chicago, I just glide along these roads…very few potholes and I-66 has been resurfaced through Fairfax county at least twice in the 8 years I’ve lived here…all we could figure was the asphalt had faded and wasn’t black enough.
    I’m not asking to reach the Pentagon in 30 minutes. I’m not asking to reach Reston in 30 minutes (my usual commute). What I am asking is that there are more mass transportation options and that road work is done and funded in a timely manner so that maybe I have a chance to turn my 30-mile/90 minute commute to Reston into a 45-60 minute commute during the school year (when school is out, my commute is exactly that: 45 minutes).

15. NoVA Scout said on 3 Jul 2008 at 10:58 pm:

I don’t think I’ve ever driven on any road in western Europe that was not in better shape than any road in Virginia. Everything about them is superb. If they can do it, why can’t we?

16. Greg L said on 3 Jul 2008 at 11:38 pm:

And have you ever noticed the utterly crushing tax burden placed on the citizens of those countries? Sure you can get great transportation systems in that model, but it’s just a case of “give me all your money, and I promise I’ll solve all your problems.” Sometimes they actually do solve them — for a while. As part of the deal, they also relinquish many of the liberties many of us would consider pretty important.

They still haven’t solved the “allow wealth creation” issue however, which is why we have so many wealthy European expatriates here in the US, fleeing abuse from their own governments. None of them came here in search of clean trains, or nice roads. In the end, it was liberty that was more important than any of those.

My goodness, you sound more and more socialist as time goes on…

17. charles said on 5 Jul 2008 at 12:23 am:

NovaScout: We have more roads in Virginia than most of those countries have.

England has a good road system. You can drive from London to the west coast in about 5 hours. Thats about how long it takes to drive from DC to the far corner of Virginia.

It’s the same thing with gas prices being higher in Europe. They just don’t have to drive as far. A big commute in England is 30 miles, and they have an extensive commuter rail system to boot.

Our problem is that people want high-paying jobs in overcrowded cities, but want to live on 2-acre estates in the middle of nowhere. So they sign up for 40+ mile commutes, and then get upset that 10,000 other people had the same idea.

Meanwhile, people who sensibly live near where they work are jerked around by increased taxes, and are inconvenienced by the fact that on the rare occasion they actually want to go somewhere like Tysons Corner or down to Fredericksburg, they can’t because of the afforementioned people who think spending 2 hours on the road every day made sense.