Welcome To The Neighborhood

By Greg L | 18 July 2008 | Crime, Prince William County | 90 Comments

The ongoing gang graffitti battle between MS-13 and Surenos-13 seems to be heating up again after being pretty quiet since December.  This photo was taken today on Lomond Drive by a BVBL reader.  Before this was called in the Prince William County Police, which patrol this high-traffic area regularly, they seemed unaware that this had happened.  Not reassuring at all.

The Virginia State Police reported that 90% of these ethnic-based criminal gangs are illegal aliens.  Looks like we have more work cut out for us.

1. Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:50 am:

A recommendation from the Loudoun County Gang Response Intervention Team…

“What Community Members Can Do:
    Refrain from the use of specific gang names, as it aids in gang recruitment.”

2. Benton said on 18 Jul 2008 at 2:16 am:

would you put this in context please?

3. anon said on 18 Jul 2008 at 7:22 am:

If they had a better sense of smell they would just pee on hydrants and trees instead of doing this.

Apologies to any insulted canines.

4. Brentsville Graduate said on 18 Jul 2008 at 7:58 am:

My dog is a member of the notorious K-9 gang.

5. me-n-u said on 18 Jul 2008 at 8:49 am:

You can see more of the defacement these gangs are doing to our community at:

6. KP said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:06 am:

My dog is a member of the “Hunch Anything that Moves” gang.

7. monticup said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:23 am:

Benton: I’m puzzled–what kind of context do you need?

DiversityGal: What is it that you like about the illegal aliens and their vandalism? Are you one of those “graffitti is art” lefties?

8. TTTTP said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:28 am:

MS-13 and Surenos-13 ain’t no joke. You see a large group of kids with jerseys on with the number 13 or 3 you best be moving on quickly! They won’t say a word. All communication amoungst them will be with hand gestures.

9. Mando said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:37 am:

Speaking of gangs:

“NFL Steps up Monitoring of Players for Gang Signs”

10. Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:41 am:

Illegal aliens? Wasn’t the topic GANGS? I don’t think gangs are a good idea, and I don’t want their recruitment to go up. If the experts tell us that mentioning gangs over and over again by specific name gives them a reputation that will INCREASE their membership, I think that is something we should consider stopping.

11. Mando said on 18 Jul 2008 at 10:06 am:

“Illegal aliens? Wasn’t the topic GANGS?”

In PWC we have a problem with SUR13, MS13, and SSL. Latino gangs in which a majority of their members are illegal aliens.

I’m sure there are other gangs in PWC but they are not as predominant as the ones mentioned above.

One only needs to look into the public schools to get a feel for how bad the latino gangs actually are.

12. jfk said on 18 Jul 2008 at 10:35 am:

Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:41 am:

There are probably not too many potential gang members reading this site, so I think we’re safe here. BTW, the gang problem and the illegal alien problem are linked-don’t waste our time debating this subject, Charlotte.

13. Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 10:56 am:

Point taken. monticup had asked what I liked about “illegal aliens and their vandalism.” I wanted to clarify that I was talking about all gangs, and how we might be providing free advertising for them by constantly mentioning them by specific name. I know that it is difficult to talk about the topic without the specifc name, but I think there might be some middle ground here. We don’t want to help fuel gang membership when we really want to decrease it.

Several sources mention the 3 R’s (Respect, Reputation, Regulation) when it comes to gangs( Wallbangin’: Graffiti and Gangs in L.A by Susan Phillips, “Lesson in ‘Three Rs’…” article in Addiction Professional by Stephanie Lee, “Teaching the 3 R’s through the 3 C’s…” article in Thresholds in Education by Karner et. al., and many more). The Reputation point is key; grafiitti, gang signs, certain clothing, and public reputation are all ways to increase visibility and membership. The more prominently and consistently a particular gang is mentioned, the more popular they become because of a tough/violent reputation.

14. Maureen said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:18 am:

Diversity Gal, I don’t think the gang members will be reading BVBL anytime soon.

15. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:26 am:

Maureen, while I agree the lower end of the gangs may not read BVBL, that doesn’t mean those higher up in the chain don’t. I do not want to see this type of thing go unpunished.

Public hangings would work for me. We have become so PC numb that consequences do not work as deterrents any longer. Kids can no longer be spanked at home or school. I got 2 swats while in school. I wasn’t the rebel rouser, but I stepped out of line and was punished for it. I didn’t do anything else wrong through the remaining years in school because I got 10 times worse when I got home and had to explain to my father what had happened.

Kids today will say and do anything they want at school because they know nothing will be done. My mom teaches at the school for troubled HS students. She has been threatened and the Principe told the student not to do it again. What is up with that?

16. Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:26 am:

Maureen,

It’s just something to think about when you are out and about in the community:)

17. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:27 am:

LOL I have no idea what a Principe is…..

18. Johnson said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:34 am:

Gangs derive power from numbers. They are cowards. They are easily backed down and scattered with a sufficient show of force. Shoot the leader first. He’ll be the one running his mouth or signing the most.

19. legal2 said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:45 am:

a principe is a “gang” leader whose following consists of “just moms driving vans” who undermine the US Constitution and Rule of Law. They hang with “film-makers” who use propaganda in a nazi-esque manner to bring about “change.” The film-makers attend the annual KOS convention (where fresh ideas abound to find ways to market marxism/socialism). We will not mention their name so as to avoid increasing their membership., but i understand that they have a blog where they wail and nash their teeth.

20. Herndon Bob said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:48 am:

21. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:53 am:

The graffiti across the street from the 7-11 off centreville rd. in that eyesore of an uncompleted building has been there for at least 9 months and they have done nothing. I have personally seen speed traps setup on that corner multiple times and seen police drive by that crap dozens of times. Worthless turds the PWCPD are. This country is in a sad state of PC apathy.

22. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 11:57 am:

Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:41 am:
    Illegal aliens? Wasn’t the topic GANGS?

GANGS = ILLEGALS in most cases.

23. me-n-u said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:01 pm:

I just added some new photo’s of gang graffiti on my webshots site.

24. Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:18 pm:

Calling the police department “worthless turds” doesn’t sound a great way to change things; do you think that’s going to further the cause and get things done?

25. anonno said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:19 pm:

Is the address of the Altmed site with all of the graffiti 7320 Sudley Rd?

26. mnd said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:32 pm:

My wife saw new tags in Stonewall Park yesterday.

27. MM said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:44 pm:

Diversity Gal -

The gangs get quite enough attention and I doubt that saying or writing “MS-13″ will INCREASE their presence. It’s well known that MS-13, SSL, and SUR13 are destorying Northern Virginia. Tags are everywhere. I teach in the public schools in Fairfax - like Mando said, the gangs have reached inside the schools. You can’t just stick your head in the sand and not talk about it.

28. Mando said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:45 pm:

Herndon Bob said:

“Gang member sightings and activities should be reported directly to the Northern Virginia Gang Task Force at 1-866-NO-GANGS (1-866-664-2647)”

Thx for the info.

For the past couple of weeks I’ve seen this 20 something kid riding his bike up and down my street. He wears a jersey with the number 13 on the back.

I’m wondering if that’s reportable? Haven’t seen him do anything other then ride his bike as of now.

29. Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:53 pm:

MM,

That’s why I said “middle ground.” Of course local and national gang activity merits discussion…we just need to be careful how we do it. Isn’t it prudent to make sure that we are not helping to make things worse?

30. me-n-u said on 18 Jul 2008 at 1:01 pm:

anonno, That is the address. The police have been called about Altmed and the property has been turned into zoning. The property has been forclosed on and Wachovia bank now owns the property. They refused to clean up the site when I called them, so now they can deal with PWC zoning.

31. me-n-u said on 18 Jul 2008 at 1:03 pm:

Anyone know what PLV stands for? I think it is a clique of SUR but I really don’t know.

32. Herndon Bob said on 18 Jul 2008 at 1:26 pm:

Mando

The more information the Gang Task force has, the more productive their efforts will be. You may not see and immediate results of your call, but they will certainly be watching. I attended a briefing last month by the task force. The speaker talked about their efforts in dealing with property owners who refused to remove gang graffiti. He has a picture of a building which had been tagged. He talked with the owner, explaining that it was a territorial marking and if it was not remove would become a bulletin board for all the gangs in the area. The owner refused to remove the tagging. Two weeks later the entire side of the building was covered with tags from more than one gang. The second photo was amazing.

It is important to have the tagging removed as soon as possible. Tagging on county or public areas are the responsibility of the County to remove. Tagging on private property is the responsibility of property owner and usually falls within zoning departments for enforcement. In Herndon we can report tagging to either the Herndon Police non-emergency number or directly to the zoning department. In Loudoun I believe they are reported directly to Zoning. I do not know how it works in Prince William County.

33. Dolph said on 18 Jul 2008 at 3:07 pm:

Anonymous, rather than call the PWCPD ‘turds’ how about calling in the problem to the non-emergency number. Then you will have done your part. Are you one of those people who thinks the chief ought to come out and clean off gang taggings himself with his own 2 hands?

Citizens need to report all gang taggings whether they are on private or public property. Don’t assume someone else has done it.

Anonymous, if you haven’t done this then perhaps YOU are the turd, not the police.

34. anonno said on 18 Jul 2008 at 3:18 pm:

“The property has been forclosed on and Wachovia bank now owns the property.”

That’s not who the PWC assessor’s office thinks owns it.

They claim it’s owned by Vilchez LLC.

35. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 3:39 pm:

I can’t believe you guys giving them an out here. Perhaps my frustration at calling them ‘worthless turds’ was overdone because we all know not all of them are, but when I see a speed trap setup 30 feet from an abomination filled with gang taggings then it appears that they are more interested in catching people speeding than in cleaning the area of serious gang taggings and putting a stop to illegal gangs. 9 months we are talking here. There have been literally hundreds of police cars that have probably driven by that area in that time and I am the one supposed to take the initiative to call it in?? That is absurd and any of you that suggest that are just as much to blame for it as the hundreds of policemen and government officials who drive by there every week who apparently don’t seem to care about it either. *sigh*

36. Dolph said on 18 Jul 2008 at 3:56 pm:

If you are concerned enough to call PWCPD ‘turds’ then I say the answer to your question would be yes, call it in.

37. me-n-u said on 18 Jul 2008 at 3:57 pm:

38. Mando said on 18 Jul 2008 at 4:03 pm:

I’ve found the PWCPD helpful most times. Zoning, not so.

39. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 4:25 pm:

my point is that i have personally witnessed a large number of police drive by there and apparently 9 months is not enough time for them to do something about it. I am not asking for much here, just for them to do their jobs and call it in. 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months maybe I could see it but we are talking about 9 months and not one single policeman or govt. worker has seen fit to take the initiative to have the issue dealt with. It is inexcusable. I am not asking for them to fix it, all I am asking for is that they take the little bit of initiative to call it into zoning to have them deal with it. 9 months! and dolph, stop the drama please. Nothing you can say can excuse the fact that our public servants have not done their jobs and taken care of that eyesore in the past 9 months. My wife could make a baby in that time yet no police officer can get on the horn and call zoning to come out? sheesh.

40. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 4:36 pm:

i have friends that are police and us federal agents and appreciate what they do. i majored in criminal justice. i know what they deal with and how thankless the job is, but 9 months and none of them care enough to clean up the community that they patrol? if you guys think i am expecting too much out of our public servants to pick up the radio and call dispatch to put in an incident with zoning then god help us for we have truly become acceptant of mediocrity and incompetence. color me stupid but it just appaers to me in this instance that they just dont care. perhaps zoning has a 9 month backlog and i am blaming the wrong people but it irks me to see this abomination littered with ms13 tags as the first thing someone sees once they pass the bridge into pwc from ffc.

41. Mando said on 18 Jul 2008 at 4:40 pm:

Don’t drive by that way much, but I did go by there earlier this week and noticed that it appears they have started construction again?

42. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 5:00 pm:

and don’t even get me started on the day laborers that hang out there at the 7-11 parking lot in the mornings. so much for the resolution and cracking down. weve got an unfinished building in a perpetual state of construction that is littered with gang tats that is the first thing that anyone sees upon crossing the bridge into pwc. we have a 7-11 across the street that is home to dozens of day laborers, most of whom are no doubt illegal aliens yet the police prefer to setup speed traps on the street adjacent to the gang tat building instead of taking care of the more pressing issues previously mentioned. dolph seems to think this is ok though so who am i to judge. end of rant. carry on.

43. BattleCat said on 18 Jul 2008 at 5:11 pm:

Good picture of the gang-tag! That goes in the PWC travel brochure next to the picture of “the billboard”.

44. anonno said on 18 Jul 2008 at 5:30 pm:

“anonno, Vilchez bought the property in 2005 for 2,000,000.00 and in 2007 transferred the property to Vilchez LLC. I’ve talked to Vilchez LLC. and Wachovia bank about the property and Wachovia is in the process of forclosure.”

Is that Vilchez LLC any relation to the realtor by the same name:

This brings up a question..I wonder how much commercial real estate is involved in the foreclosure crisis.

45. Benton said on 18 Jul 2008 at 5:49 pm:

“have been literally hundreds of police cars that have probably driven by that area in that time and I am the one supposed to take the initiative to call it in?? That is absurd and any of you that suggest that are just as much to blame for it as the hundreds of policemen and government officials who drive by there every week who apparently don’t seem to care about it either. *sigh*”

What you don’t know is whether it was called in. What you do know is that it was not cleaned up. I believe that comes under Public Works not Police. However, they have lost staff in Public Works….. so to get things done, you have to call your board member and complain. Then they get to call Public Works and yell at them to stop whatever they are doing and respond to this.

This is serious, don’t misunderstand me, but staffing is so low and there are more public safety people than not anymore things like this are going to get worse and it will take supervisor intervention as prevention and proactive tasks went with the real estate revenue. PWC government can only afford to react not act.

Remember the dicussions about adding to Neighborhood Services? The Supervisors chose not to. So call Mr. Stirrup? Or is it Nohe? One of them. It will be taken care of if you call them. Better yet email them this thread with the photo. Good visual.

46. Benton said on 18 Jul 2008 at 5:52 pm:

Commerical real estate is doing well. That was Mr. Covingtons concern about raising the tax rate. The value of commercial is the same or higher so raising the tax rate would impact them more. Something like $26 bucks as opposed to $12 for residential….

47. Greg L said on 18 Jul 2008 at 8:03 pm:

Benton, actually Neighborhood Services added about 40 new positions this year. Activity at Building Services was slow since the construction boom dropped off, and they took a bunch of building inspectors and transferred them over to Neighborhood Services as zoning inspectors. The number of zoning inspectors that handle my neck of the woods seems to have about doubled.

The addition to Neighborhood Services was a proposal by Frank “My In-Laws Are Undocumented” Principi to add another five on top of this major shift. That was more politically motivated as a way to add expenses supposedly related to immigration enforcement than meeting any identified need.

48. rebelreggie said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:29 pm:

you know,maria,there is alot of racism in the world.undeservedly so,as you know.it doesnt matter to me the color,the language,wealthy,poor,all people need help some time.i dont care if they are whats termed illegals-they deserve medical care.when i come across posts like yours,i see just another form of bias or racism towards the poor.its not hard luck stories,its called life.and i wont leave anyone behind who needs help or me.i dont wish you or yours any bad will either,i dont.and im gonna admit it,you got me angry,lol.it happens so rarely and i try to be stronger.but i look at both sides of the coin,and not one side is any better than the other……
    You know most of what you wrote seems to come from an compassionate kind of person. Except when you get to the healthcare for illegals. I wouldn’t deny anyone medical attention who was in a life or death situations even an illegal, I would deny those who come to this country looking to shaft the system and bleed off LIMITED resources that were meant for the citizens of the country that PAYS FOR THEM. When I hear that the illegal’s country of origin has a check in hand to pay for the healthcare of their citizens in this country, then I don’t think I would be nearly as crabby when I hear about another illegal popping out a baby that the American taxpayers have to pay for until that child is 18. I wouldn’t be so crabby when I hear about another illegal immigrant who is in a cash strapped hospital, brain dead from an car accident they cause while drinking, taking up a bed that could be used for someone else. I wouldn’t be quite so irritated and uncharitable when I head YET another story about a medical facility turning away an American citizen who is under-insured to give FREE health care to a sick illegal.

And I wouldn’t be quite so crazed when some representative of the Aztland nation popps off that we owe these people a living and they don’t need to become a citizen, pay their fair share of taxes and be subject to our laws.

Get it sport?

What makes us mean is that we increasingly see that we cannot take care of our own because some illegal alien has gotten the financial support WE needed and WE spent so many years paying to build up.

‘The gene pool could use a little chlorine.’

We will fight you until hell freezes over…..and then we will fight you on ice.

49. jfk said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:30 pm:

anonno said on 18 Jul 2008 at 5:30 pm:

Is that Vilchez LLC any relation to the realtor by the same name:

Yes, they are one in the same. In fact, there is a sign (or used to be) on the building that says this is the future headquarters of Vilchez Associates. I called their offices once to complain about the weeds and no one there spoke English (true story).

50. Anonymous said on 18 Jul 2008 at 9:32 pm:

” Before this was called in the Prince William County Police, which patrol this high-traffic area regularly, they seemed unaware that this had happened. Not reassuring at all.”

This should not be a shock to anyone.

51. monticup said on 19 Jul 2008 at 12:29 am:

Anonymous: Maybe I wouldn’t have called the PWC Police turds but they certainly are worthless.

52. Benton said on 19 Jul 2008 at 12:36 am:

Greg:

Zoning Staff decreased by 1.23 from 2008 (11.83) to 2009 (10.60)
    Neighborhood Services Staff increased by one from 38.11 FTE’s in 2008 39.11 FTE’s in 2009.

Overall Public Works Staff have decreased as shown below since FY07
    FY07 = 479.24
    FY08 = 446.94
    FY09 = 435.94

I recall what you refer to, in December 2007 the BOCS elminated 13 positions that were fee supported. Those folks, 13 of them, filled VACANT positions in Zoning and Neighborhood Services, it was not an increase in FTE’s.

Expenditure Reductions - Included in the Building Development Budget is the elimination of 13.0 FTE positions and associated supplies…..

53. Benton said on 19 Jul 2008 at 12:41 am:

By the way, all this information is documented in the FY09 Adopted Fiscal Plan. Mr. Principi was correct; additional staff were and still are need to respond quickly to taggings and other zoning violations, regardless of the legal status of his relatives.

54. Pat from Woodbridge said on 19 Jul 2008 at 1:16 am:

Is it the fact that I am the only person here that pick-up on the fact that the graffitti picture above was IN ENGLISH.

55. Anonymous said on 19 Jul 2008 at 1:17 am:

Dolph said on 18 Jul 2008 at 3:07 pm:

Ahhhhhhhhh! More words of wisdom and concern from flipper!
    ^^^^^^glug^^^^^^^

56. Benton said on 19 Jul 2008 at 8:29 am:

I went back and listened to a few Board meetings, my impression is that Mr. Principi wanted to add more Neighborhood Services folks due to the number of foreclosures not because of or attempting to inflate costs related to illegal immigration enforcement.

57. Citizen 12 said on 19 Jul 2008 at 12:58 pm:

Diversity Gal said on 18 Jul 2008 at 10:56 am

**********************************************************

Modern police work seems to be most efective in identification but unfortunalty has had no impact on the continued growth of gangs and gang activity. The social scientist crowd contunues to advocate the ” learning and understanding” aspect which for the most part is just a waste of tax payers money.

Has anyone heard of the new 3 R’s when it comes to gangs…Recognition, Retribution and Rigor mortis. The experts concure that this is the most direct and effictive way of dealing with this problem.

Law enforcement experts are currently reviewing the study.

Politicans and gang members alike are currently opposed.

58. edyrdg said on 19 Jul 2008 at 2:31 pm:

I was in a 7-11 yesterday near Tysons and there were about 6 Latinos (to, my eye, not homegrown). So I said to one of them( they were all in one truck after a day of replacing American construction workers on some site),where Americans have to stay home. Because Latinos like to occupy every job available, denying American taxpayers the right to work in theyr’e own country. So I said “no legal- no bueno” (not legal- no good). In responce he says nobody illegal. So I said ,nobody ’s illegal in that truck? He said nobodys illegal, inferring ,if your’e in USA your’e automatically legal. I said this is a seperate country. He was telling me that its all Americas (inferring the border didnt exist) I’ve been threatened to be shot by an illegal on a construction site, and informed this isn’t my country by another. I’ve seen the poem written on a wall on a construction site ” KILL,KILL,KILL, THE WHITE MAN” signed, the MEXICAN POET………..Barack should be saying Si Se Puede Deporte Tu (YES WE CAN DEPORT YOU)…however hes chosen to support illegals (He supported the Jena 6 who gang jumped 1 white guy, who was the only victim at Jena) .Barack comforts the American citizenry, by saying jobs are important ,and, not to be outsourced. Meanwhile, he supports the illegal invasion that robs Americans Of working class jobs. Barack should run for president…of Mexico. He’s the blind leading the blind,and if he drives the bus…wer’e all on for the ride. What a tragic comedy.

59. Anonymous said on 19 Jul 2008 at 2:54 pm:

A nation of sheep deserve a government of wolves.

60. edyrdg said on 19 Jul 2008 at 2:58 pm:

These illegals don’t need to learn English. They need to learn that the Usa is a soverign nation,and you dont come here, park your butt , and declare your an American immigrant,without going through the proper channels . Barack wants Americans to learn Spanish.It’s ok if thats what you want. I guess his resolve to Japan’s attack on the usa in the 40’s would have been for every American to learn Japanese. I’m all for cultural development, and all Americans of Spanish descent are to be honored as any other citizen. It’s tragic that both party candidates want to let the illegals stay.. Create jobs- deport illegals. And as a footnote, The Japanese culture is a beautiful thing. The Mexicans just chose to invade (en-masse).as a humble people who just want the jobs we don’t want(a lie),, Theyr’e not criminals( a lie), and somehow they think they have rights here. I applaud Mannassas for its intelligent victory over illegals. I was confronted by a soldier/police in Venezuela. He wanted to see my passport. Only after verifying I was there legally was I released. And, I’m sure I was stopped for being a caucasian . I was escorted to a quiet side street, and put against the wall where noone could see. And, had everything in my pockets thrown in the gutter by one soldier, as another looked on, slapping a sheathed knife in his hand. (in Brasil). They left when they could only find a little money .

61. edyrdg said on 19 Jul 2008 at 3:09 pm:

I’m not sure , Idon’t have my English- spanish dictionary in front of me. So, if Im wrong plz excuse me , Pat from Woodbridge, But, I think the word for magic is the same in english and spanish. I could be incorrect but if its only in english, maybe it was written to intimidate english speakers,or to mark they’re territory like a dog.

62. edyrdg said on 19 Jul 2008 at 3:28 pm:

so… I’m human magic in spanish is different in engish ( but very similar)…. sooo……..I guess it was more like a dog marking its territory and announcing its prescence….they can dig their graves for themselves…and the stone they roll… may it return upon themselves…This Is Not Their Territory to mark or occupy… They still have Happy Meals on their breath… and go home to milk and cookies… Princesses todos,, mujeres y bambinos ( all princesses -girls and boys)

63. IllegalisILLEGAL said on 19 Jul 2008 at 3:31 pm:

Pat from Woodbridge, Whats your point? Most taggings are with just the name of the gang. Sometimes you do see other writing and yes it is usually in English. So again I don’t get the point you are trying to make.

64. Karla H said on 19 Jul 2008 at 5:23 pm:

Congressman Wolf keeps earmarking funds to fight gangs. But I think an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Secure the border, and start treating illegals more harshly. And start prosecuting those who hire illegals. Fighting gangs says that gangs are the problem, when the real issue is people entering our country illegally. Note the last line of the article, “The Virginia State Police reported that 90% of these ethnic-based criminal gangs are illegal aliens.”

65. Black Saint said on 19 Jul 2008 at 5:41 pm:

Maybe it will heat up and the gangs will kill each other off, Instead of American Citizens!

66. monticup said on 19 Jul 2008 at 6:03 pm:

Black Saint: I like the way you think!

67. monticup said on 19 Jul 2008 at 6:10 pm:

edyrdg: Just to nitpick–the invaders are not of Spanish descent. They are mesoamericans–Mayans or Aztecs. They are not Spanish although they speak a version of the language. The Spanish in Mexico are the middle and upper classes and they don’t sneak accross the border.

68. sahdman said on 19 Jul 2008 at 11:02 pm:

Personally I think gangs are nothing more than a bunch of latent homosexuals who act tough to impress each other. I mean what girl will be impressed by spray painting MS13 or sur3 on a wall. They are trying to impress the other guys. I say lock them up and they can “gang bang” all they want in prison.
    The government needs to come up with a public service announcement showing or describing what gang membership is really like. From what I can tell its a bunch of guys hanging out, spray painting, raping, killing, stealing, doing and selling drugs trying to impress each other and trying to get thrown into prison and what gang member wouldn’t want to go to prison. I have seen prisons on MSNBC it seems like it would be a gang members paradise. In prison you get to “gang bang” everyday and don’t have to worry about getting arrested again. That is the message we need to send the kids.

69. Dave in PWC said on 20 Jul 2008 at 12:29 am:

On another note, when I went by the Coverstone 7-11 a little after noon there was not one person hanging around. Wonder if I just missed PWCPD rousting them out of the area?

70. Vigilant1 said on 20 Jul 2008 at 10:10 am:

Well, it was only a matter of time. The west side of the bridge over flat branch has been tagged by MS13. SUR13 is on the east side of the bridge (PHOTO AT THE TOP OF THIS BLOG.)
    I guess that means that WESTGATE IS SUR13 territory and LOCH LOMOND belongs to MS13.

PWC police have been notified of both taggings.

71. Vigilant1 said on 20 Jul 2008 at 10:13 am:

Sorry, got the taggings backwards. MS13 is on the east side and SUR 13 is on the west. Don’t want these gangs to get confused as to what ther “territory” is.

72. edyrdg said on 20 Jul 2008 at 11:37 am:

Hi Pat, I suppose many gang members are bi-lingual. I’ve had assoccios and friends from Puerto Rico in the Latin Kings. We worked together fine.And,had no problem. I lived in Puerto Rico almost one year working construction. One of my favorite co-workers was of Mexican heritage. He was involved in the gulf war. But, I suppose the tagging in your neighborhood could have different reasons for being done (whether in English or spanish). A dog marks it’s territory in a specific way. And gang members (travel and do violence) in packs. I’m not talking about the Latin Kings (Puerto Ricans are American). But, I think the tagging in the picture is possibly put there to intimidate anyone not in their gang. They enjoy instilling fear through intimidation and a violent reputation. My reference to Happy Meals and such was my way of inferring that a lot of these “baby-bangers”, are likely still very young. And, it probably hasn’t been too many years since theyr’e last Happy Meal. But, I think they are finding an American people who aren’t afraid of them. But they do like to commit assaults as a gang. I experienced that in Houston ,Texas when I was a merchant seaman living in the barrio ,waiting to catch a merchant ship. But, I feel compelled to say ,I enjoy the deversity of races in America.And, many Mexican people are gentle ,good people. So, I put alot of blame on lack of border enforcement. But, I resent the attitude of the illegals that they’re here, and we can’t do anything about it.Because we can make it right. I lived in Sterling in 1971, and when I went to Herndon a year or so ago, I felt like I was in Mexico. I sincerely hope You people can continue to move forward in reclaiming your communities. Really, This illegal invasion is a headache Americans shouldn’t have to deal with. It’s disturbing the peace en-masse. Pat, Please, what is your point that the sign is in english? It represents the same in any language. And, speaking englsh or teaching construction trades to illegals may appease some. But, it’s just perpetuating the injustice inflicted on American people and American communities.

73. Elvis said on 20 Jul 2008 at 1:04 pm:

I still think they all are a bunch of homo’s

that latino macho thing is just a front for latent homosexual tendencies. they all belong in a ghetto, they can gang bang all they want there as mentioned above. they do their race a disservice by acting like a bunch of gay fools.

74. legal2 said on 20 Jul 2008 at 2:13 pm:

Dave, did you look across the street (Coverstone)? I drove by that 7-11 at noon on Friday. 2 day-laborers were under the tree at the edge of 7-11’s parking lot and another was running across the street to join several other men loitering on the opposite corner. I don’t know what progress has been made.

75. IllegalisILLEGAL said on 20 Jul 2008 at 3:33 pm:

legal2, Do any of you see 30-40 men hanging around at one time? I haven’t. Yes I do see day labors still there but I have not seen more than 5 or 6 at one time. To me that is progress. Once again, thank you HSM.

76. TTTTP said on 20 Jul 2008 at 8:11 pm:

Mando said on 18 Jul 2008 at 12:45 pm:
    Herndon Bob said:

Thx for the info.

You know he is the look out for a B and E crew right?

77. sahdman said on 21 Jul 2008 at 7:06 am:

All they need is to talk with a lisp in combination with their hand signals. And it would be obvious to everyone that the gang bangers are totally homosexuals. That is the message the government needs to get out there to combat these thugs.

78. NW said on 21 Jul 2008 at 1:42 pm:

About the building with the gang grafitti on Old Centreville Road, across from the 7/11…..

I called about this building when they started the foundation. It sure looked like a day labor site to me. But no, the building is going to be for “retail and hotel” purposes. hmmm A hotel on Old Centreville Road. For who?

Then I called about the grafitti and have sent pictures to Neighborhood Services. The officer(s) that went to look at it made the report that the grafitti will be covered once the building is finished……

Neighborhood Services are not taking this for an answer, and are trying to do whatever is in their power to get it cleaned up. They keep me informed of any progress being made, which means they are trying!!! But they do rely on volunteers to get the grafitti cleaned up. If I get information about a clean up on this building or the bridge, I’ll let you guys know.

I went to take pictures of the bridge the morning after it was tagged. I took
    a bunch, and then noticed I didn’t have the dam card in the camera…no shots at all. But….I did notice 6 guys of different ethnic backgrounds playing basketball in the middle of the day at a house nearby. They were keeping an eye on me. Then…one of them started SPRAYPAINTING a drawer under the carport. Black spray paint. Ya think this house and the tags are related???

FYI - the County has sent a letter to the owner of the gang grafitti on Old
    Cent. Road. Maybe a picture of that building should be at the top of this thread saying “Welcome to Manassas”. It is the FIRST thing you see when you cross from Fx. Co. into PW Co. ARG.

79. TTTTP said on 21 Jul 2008 at 2:57 pm:

sahdman said on 21 Jul 2008 at 7:06 am:

Now that’s funny!

But this isn’t:

From:
    To: ”
    Subject: Suscipicious Character on Bike
    Date: May 5, 2008 12:19 AM
    Hi Ted,
    I just wanted to notify you that there’s a suspicious young man riding on a bike, talking on a cell phone checking out the neighborhood. We have reason to believe he may be associated with the breakin at our home this pass Wednesday. This evening we spotted him riding by our home and looking very suspicious and I just wanted to pass this along to alert the neighbors. Also if anyone saw someone Wednesday between 9:00 AM - 4:50 PM with backpacks and a large telescope riding a bike please let us know. Thank you.

80. edyrdg said on 21 Jul 2008 at 5:42 pm:

monticup….I appreciate the knowledge concerning the Mexican language. I heard once, when you scratch a Mexican you discover it’s really an Aztec. Whats going to happen if our next President issues a mass amnesty for illegals? The politicians are so benevolent with giving away the jobs of American working class.

81. CityResident said on 21 Jul 2008 at 5:59 pm:

One of the kooks over at the anti site is now trying to say that HSM members are painting this graffiti in an attempt to make Latinos look bad!

82. Diversity Gal said on 21 Jul 2008 at 7:17 pm:

OOPS…”somethings” should be “something” :)

83. edyrdg said on 22 Jul 2008 at 9:16 am:

I don’t know if ICE is vigilant or negligient with their duties. Are they just making the occasional “token” raid ,to apease the masses that they are doing something? oR, Is there some internal policy, to make an occaisional bust. And, drag it out to the next election. And, let the next Presidency execute a new policy? Parking laws are more stringently enforced. I wish they’d raid every construction site, and remove on the spot those who aren’t legal. Most American laws are stringently enforced , Why not illegal immigration ? And, I wish the Washington Post would have some journalistic integrity, and, stop using the word immigrant interchangebly with illegal immigrant. Maybe theyr’e as confused as the Latinos. I appreciate those who have exercised their American rights , and caused the illegals to flee. They need to go home . Besides……their burro misses them.

84. Anonymous said on 23 Jul 2008 at 9:49 am:

There is now a third tagging of the FLAT BRANCH BRIDGE on LOMOND DRIVE.
    This one seems to have occured betwen 10:00am on 22 July and 07:30am 23 July. The latest tagging shows MPL13 which I have not heard of before. There are now 3 tagging on the bridge and no effort has been made by the county (they are on county property) to remove them. Three of the four corners of the bridge have now been tagged within a week.

85. Anonymous said on 23 Jul 2008 at 10:35 am:

All three taggings happened the same night. They are not new ones. Quit trying to make matters worse than they already are.

86. PWCHomeowner said on 23 Jul 2008 at 11:27 am:

i was out of town and called this into the police, as i drove by it last night. I had no idea it has been up for several days. If its not down tonight we should just paint over it ourselves. I am getting really tired of this.

87. Brian Leeper said on 23 Jul 2008 at 12:33 pm:

The bridge is VDOT property, and VDOT should be contacted about it.

703-383-VDOT.

88. Anonymous said on 23 Jul 2008 at 1:09 pm:

The three taggings left on Flat Branch Bridge last Wednesday night have now been removed. Thanks to PWPD, Clean Community Council, and VDOT for the removal.

I’ve seen with my own two eyes and photographic evidence.
    The bridge looks much better.

89. Anonymous said on 23 Jul 2008 at 1:59 pm:

Anonymous said on 23 Jul 2008 at 1:09 pm:

I’ve seen with my own two eyes and photographic evidence.
    The bridge looks much better.

Everything is clean on the bridge as stated above. Anyone want to guess how long it will last. It has been tagged 3 times in the last week. The PWCPD should stake the bridge out at least for a couple of days and see who they come up with.

90. allycat said on 23 Jul 2008 at 10:38 pm:

Anonymous said on 23 Jul 2008 at 1:59 pm:

I wish they would. It would be great if they could catch these thugs red-handed!