Barack Obama: No Tickee, No Laundry

By Greg L | 24 July 2008 | National Politics | 31 Comments

Was the scan of Barack Obama’s birth certificate (technically a “certificate of live birth”, or COLB) posted on Daily Kos a forgery?  A pretty accomplished document expert thinks so, which further brings into question Obama’s constitutional qualification to be President of the United States.  At this point I think it’s safe to conclude that what was posted on Kos, and then on Obama’s “Fight The Smears” website was nothing but a deliberate fake.

There are two obvious scenarios used to create the image that can be ascertained from evidence. Either a real COLB was scanned into Photoshop and digitally edited or a real COLB was first scanned to obtain the graphic layout then blanked by soaking the document in solvent to remove the toner. After rescanning the blank page to a separate image the graphics from the previously obtained scan could then be easily applied to the blank scan after some editing and rebuilding. It would also explain why date stamp bleeds through the paper and the various bits of toner located around the image as well as the remnants of the previous location of a security border.

So as I have been saying repeatedly since I first compared the KOS images to the Decosta image using the same tests and measurements – the image is a horrible forgery.

Border image comparison from Atlas Shrugs

If Obama isn’t going to provide affirmative substantiation for his claim that he is a natural born citizen of the United States as the Constitution requires, I’d imagine someone is going to have to file a lawsuit so the courts could decide on his qualifications, or lack thereof. Although there are some who might want to delay such an inquiry until after the Democratic Party convention, I’d hope this happens as soon as possible to give Democrats a fair opportunity to correct their mistake of nominating this charlatan.  Waiting until after the convention is unecessarily seeking political advantage.

That Obama’s website is posting deliberate falsehoods should be enough to convince voters to shun him, but our collective tolerance for lies when accompanied by liberalism these days would make that unlikely.  It’s probably going to require the courts to revoke Obama’s ticket.

1. Libertarian said on 24 Jul 2008 at 9:51 pm:

It must be a really slow news day if all you have is this old chestnut. Soooo… what’s this “accomplished document expert”’s name so we can google him or her?

2. Arlington Minority said on 24 Jul 2008 at 10:16 pm:

First, the missing birth certificate, and now, the missing thesis, which further confuses us about who he really is.

3. Ron said on 24 Jul 2008 at 10:26 pm:

Do the Obama and McCain campaigns just not take this seriously? How hard is it for Obama to produce a real birth certificate? By the way, who sent the fake birth certificate to Kos in the first place?

4. Slick said on 24 Jul 2008 at 10:56 pm:

I don’t need to see a birth certificate to tell me what I already know… B Hussein Obama is a closet muslim, America hating, affirmative action handout racist whose own confused mother and derelict father abandoned him. Just wait til the debates.

5. PHenry said on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:17 pm:

I believe that the Obama crew put out this obvious fake to gin up accusations, then he will produce the real one and post on his ‘fight the smears’ website that the desperate Right was ‘doing it again’, unfairly smearing him shamelessly.

Just like the Michelle Obama ‘whitey’ tape, a rumor started by a Hillary supporer but blamed on Rush Limbaugh on Obamas site, despite Rush calling it bunk when he mentioned it!

(By the way, there was a birth notice in the Hawaii paper from ‘61 that proves he was born in Hawaii, I think)

6. monticup said on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:22 pm:

For someone who is supposedly not a Muslim, Baraka Hussein Obama sure has a lot of close ties to the Muslim community and the NOI.

7. Lake Ridge said on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:33 pm:

8. PWConservative said on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:42 pm:

Jinx, We both posted obama COLB posts, Good thing We found different angles.

9. DiversityGal said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:22 am:

I can’t believe this is the second time I am seeing this topic come up. I mean, really?? Whoever wants to sue him for proof of citizenship, go right ahead…I’m sure it will do wonders for people taking you seriously.

10. DaveonDublin said on 25 Jul 2008 at 2:12 am:

I am a hard-core republican and Christian, and do not believe obama is a muslim. I have seen NOTHING that proves this. I don’t like him for a host of other reasons (where he stand on the issues), but picking on him for his name or somehow being a muslim is fruitless.

11. DaveonDublin said on 25 Jul 2008 at 2:14 am:

I am sure people are looking into his birth certificate - if he is somehow not legal, that is a different story, but I believe this will prove fruitless as well.

12. Doug Mataconis said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:59 am:

It’s amazing how much it actually takes for a story that has been so thoroughly debunked to actually die the death it deserves.

But, here it goes for about the fifth time in the last two weeks…….

A.J. Strata, not a liberal by any means, has been following this story for weeks now and concluded long ago, quite convincingly, that the people claiming that the birth certificate is a forgery are all wet.

Here’s his latest response to the article you linked to:

And then there’s this news story which demonstrates quite clearly just how absurd the idea that this is all a lie to hide the fact that Obama is not a citizen of the US actually is:

It is possible that Obama conspired his way to the precipice of the world’s biggest job, involving a vast network of people and government agencies over decades of lies. Anything is.

But step back and look at the overwhelming evidence to the contrary and your sense of what’s reasonable has to take over.

There is not one shred of evidence to disprove PolitiFact’s conclusion that the candidate’s name is Barack Hussein Obama, or to support allegations that the birth certificate he released isn’t authentic.

And that’s true no matter how many people cling to some hint of doubt and use the Internet to fuel their innate sense of distrust.

I think it’s time people stopped focusing on nonsense like this and dealt with real issues.

13. Bridget said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:11 am:

Lake Ridge,

You clearly do not understand the term “natural born citizen”.

I was born on foreighn soil - in India to two American citizens. The government of India issued me a birth certificate - which my father then took, along with his proofs of American citizenship, to the nearest American Consulate in order to obtain my Consular Report of Birth.

My Indian birth certificate is proof only that I was born in India … and whoever typed up the certificate saw fit to type “American” on the line indicating my caste.

My Consular Report of Birth is my proof that I am a natural born citizen. And not of India, mind you.

India never did, would or will consider me a “natual born”, or any other type, of Indian citizen.

Being born inside their soveriegn borders did not make me an Indian national. My blood ties made me ineligable. Of my five siblings, four where born in different foreign nations and none of their birth nations granted them the option of citizenship.

So, the word “natural”, as it applies to the term “natural born citizen” has everything to do with blood ties … My blood ties made me ineligable for Indian citizenship as well as confer my U.S. citizenship.

My children, born to two U.S. citizens inside the U.S. are as “natural born” as I ever was.

If they happen to someday give birth to children overseas , those children would be considered “natural born citizens”. Again, not of their parents foreign host nation, but of the U.S.A.

14. Pat.Herve said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:56 am:

I am very glad that an accomplished document expert can take a scan of a document, view it from a web browser and determine its authencity. I must have employed the B team, as they wanted the original document so that they could inspect it themselves.

15. Arlington Minority said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:03 am:

So first, we have a missing authentic birth certificate. And now, oddly enough, his Columbia U. thesis has totally disappeared.

16. jfk said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:45 am:

Lake Ridge said on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:33 pm:
    “I’m surprised you fantatics aren’t more concerned about the fact that Obama’s father left Islam and became an Atheist. Good lord, doesn’t this make him an Atheist?! Let’s face it, sticking to the issues means a defeat for McSame, so let’s keep digging dirt that’s not there.

For that matter, I highly doubt McSame’s citizenship; that is, he was NOT a natural born citizen. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone, which had been ruled by the Supreme Court as being a sovereign territory; therefore, he was NOT born on American soil, so he was not born an American citizen.”

Good point, Lake Ridge. They should both provide proof of their eligibility to serve as President. I am concerned at how quickly folks want to sweep this issue under the rug. I can provide my US birth very quickly, and I will never be president. This mentaility of “move on, there is nothing here” worries me, and really provides fuel to the fire of this controversy. Let’s definitely answer the question, then move on.

Anyway, Barry is a citizen of the world, what type of proof do you need to claim that status :)

17. monticup said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:46 am:

DaveonDublin: Obama may not consider himself a Muslim but the Muslims believe him to be a Muslim since he is the son of a Muslim. A Muslim CANNOT convert out of Islam. I don’t think he’s technically a Muslim but his “church” sure doesn’t look like a Christian church to me. It looks like a hybrid.

18. anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:48 am:

Lori Starfelt, a member of the PUMA movement in the Democratic Party opposed to Obama’s nomination, found a birth announcement in an August 1961 edition of the Honolulu Advertiser.

19. Flavius Maximus said on 25 Jul 2008 at 10:04 am:

As long as Obama’s mother was a bonifide US citizen (which I believe she was) at the time of his birth, then he qualifies as a “US Citizen Born Abroad”, and thus fulfills the “Natural Born US Citizen” requirement of the US Constitution. However, this official designation must have been applied for at some point during his life, and proof of his mother’s citizenship (like her birth certificate) would have to be furnished to the US State Department, which officially applies the “US Citizen Born Abroad” designation.

The same applies to John McCain. Both of his parents were US Citizens at the time of his birth in the PCZ. His father was on official US DoD duty at the time. The US Military would have ensured that the application was made to the State Department, prior to his leaving the hospital, and finalized before his father was transferred back to the US.

People get confuse “Natural Born” with the need to actually be born on US soil. Natural Born simply means that the child’s mother be a US citizen, born or “naturalized” at the time of the child’s birth. The reason that the father’s citizenship is less important is that when the law was written, paternity was less easy to determine.

The apparent forgery of the Obama document is an important matter, though not for the reason that it might disqualify him as President. It is important because it show the lengths that his supporters will go to to try an cover up any perceived weakness, or shortcomings.

20. Harry said on 25 Jul 2008 at 11:48 am:

Obama’s is a forgery? Well John McSame isn’t even a “natural born citizen” since he was born in the Zone, this was decided more than 100 years ago, this must be challenged, say around October 25, 2008, so the alien McSame would be disqualified.

21. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:23 pm:

Flavius Maximus,

That is EXACTLY how my oldest daughter is considered a US citizen. She was born abroad before her mother was a US citizen, but since I was stationed in the Philippines, while serving in the US Navy, she is considered a US Citizen born abroad. We had to submit paperwork to the US Embassy and get her US passport before she could leave the Philippines. She has a US Citizen born abroad birth certificate as well as a certificate of live birth in the Philippines.

I do not believe Obama’s mother met the criteria for the designation of birth abroad because she had not been in the states long enough. That is the sticking point here as I understand it.

McCain is a US citizen because he falls under the US Citizen born abroad scope.

22. Doug Mataconis said on 25 Jul 2008 at 1:52 pm:

Oh, and one more point, we now have independent evidence verifying the birth of a son to Mr. and Mrs. Barack Obama on August 4, 1961 in Hawaii:

Can we stop talking about stupid issues now ?

23. Harry said on 25 Jul 2008 at 3:35 pm:

Flavius, has nothing to do with ciotizenship, you need to read and comprehend the constitution: “…natural born…” means as the supreme court decided more than 100 years ago: Natural born means born in a state not an overseas territory, born in an overseas territory bestowes citizebship but does not bestow “…natural born..” Unfortunately, you are unaware of the US Constitution and its meaning.

24. Doug Mataconis said on 25 Jul 2008 at 4:13 pm:

Harry,

Give it up, McCain’s a natural born citizen too:

Like I said, let’s talk about real issues, not nonsense.

25. Ducky said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:38 pm:

A vote for Hussein is a vote for America hating, non-citizen Muslim who hates Jesus. Vote for McCain - he’s a citizen and loves Jesus!

26. Rick Bentley said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:58 pm:

“Wait till the debates”? You think they’re going to debate whether he was born in the US?

I don’t like McCain but at least he’s too decent to go along with the virulent right-wing spin machine that spreads virulent rumors against whoever the Democratic party throws up every 4 years. Dukakis used to go to pee parties, Clinton snorted blow and had people killed, Clinton may be a communist plant because James Baker’s State Department misplaced his paperwork, Kerry is a war villian instead of a hero … I detect a pattern here.

Why not combine elements of all these … Obama goes to pee parties where he snorts blow with Muslim extremists and he may be a Kenyan plant. I think the George Bush Sr. quote on Clinton in 1992 was something like “I’m not saying he’s a spy - I’m just saying we don’t know for sure”.

McCain of course fell victim to Bush’s push polling in South Carolina in 2000 … using ostensible phone polling to spread a rumor he had a “black baby” out of wedlock (rather tahn an adopted child from Bangladesh).

27. Lake Ridge said on 26 Jul 2008 at 12:52 pm:

Bridget as a former teacher of constitutional law, I most certainly understand the meaning of “natural born citizen”. My point was that the meaning has not been clearly defined by the courts. Just so you know, in the U.S., citizens like you do not have the right to interpret our Constitution, the courts do. So unfortunately, your experiences are really irrelevant to its meaning.

My point in bringing up McBush’s citizenship was that if we are going to discuss Obama’s citizenship issues, then we also should include McCain. In the end, the point of my post was that this talk of whether or not Obama is a natural born citizen is silly, as is any talk of McCain’s citizenship.

28. Lake Ridge said on 26 Jul 2008 at 12:57 pm:

Ducky I need to add to your post that since Obama was endorsed by Ted Kennedy, who is of course a Catholic, and Catholics are led by the Pope, the Pope was a Nazi Youth — therefore, Barack Obama loves Hilter and is a Nazi.

29. Bridget said on 26 Jul 2008 at 7:12 pm:

As someone who claims to have been a teacher, of constitutional law no less, I am astonished at your glaring inability to make clear points on your first go-round.

Point 3) Any talk of Obama or McCain’s citizenship status is silly.

Point 2) If said silliness moves to scrutiny, then both candidates get equal review. ( Not at all sure who has that authority, congress is my first guess, and not untill candidates are official)

Point 1) Have “the courts” define, no wait, “interpret” what the Constitution outlines as a natural born citizen.

Which “courts”? As far as I know, the Supreme Court alone can make determination on constitutionality.

Frankly , when it comes to Constitutional “interpretation”, the SCOTUS is hardly infallible.

They have done their share of overreaching and willfuly misinterpreting the Constitution.

You said:

“Just so you know, in the U.S., citizens like you do not have the right to interpret our constitution, the courts do.”

Excuse me?

I had to go back to re-read my post in an effort to see how it could be seen as an effort on my part to interpret the whole Constitution.

For crying out loud. Entire books have been written about how to interpret the Constitution, and from about as many angles imaginable …. written by citizens and non-citizens alike.

Not at all sure what you meant by “citizens like you” perhaps it’s one of those some citizens are more equal than others things, but I wonder how the heck you can pressume to know what I’m like or dictate my rights.

Just so you know, I have endured the presumtuous dictates of a few teachers of “constitutional law” in my time. They spent far too much time attempting to shift the focus away from the written law of the Constitution to the all important question of how to handle constitutional “interpretation”.

The Constitution does include rules governing it’s own interpretation as well as application. Teacher, teach thy self.

Laughable to imagine any citizen showing up at a DMV or passport office and saying “My documents? You can view copies on the Daily Kos.”

I seriously doubt that either candidate is anything but a U.S. citizen … albeit, this apparently forged birth certificate raises questions of credibility … and plenty of speculation.

30. Lake Ridge said on 27 Jul 2008 at 11:21 am:

Golly Bridget, I didn’t mean to get you upset. My point was that the term “natural born citizen” has had a sketchy interpretation, at best, by the Supreme Court. As for my reference to the “courts”, I was referring to the Supreme Courts of the past, such as the Jay Court, the Taney Court, or the Rehnquist Courts; together these are “courts” plural.

Anyhow the Supreme Courts of the past have actually NEVER directly interpreted this term. And just so you know, the lower courts CAN and DO interpret the Constitution; even Congress has been known to interpret the Constitution through legislation; the Supreme Court has final word, however, on its meaning and interpretation and can of course strike down legislation, as well as decisions by lower courts.

Of course, you have the right to interpret the Constitution; we all do. But any experiences you have had with your own naturalization are not really relevant to the presidential qualification of being a “natural born citizen”; and this was my point when I stated that you do not have the right of interpretation.

I believe we have different beliefs on how the Constitution should be interpreted, you being like most on this blog, a strict constructionist; whereas I firmly believe the Framers were more for looser constructivism.

I still will not waver on the belief that both of the candidates are indeed natural born citizens and these continued Rove-like attempts to divert citizens from the issues are unacceptable.

31. Ducky said on 28 Jul 2008 at 2:55 am: