video production in Manassas and Prince William County

BB&T Robbed Again

By Greg L | 24 July 2008 | Crime, Prince William County | 37 Comments

Once again, a BB&T Bank in the Manassas area was the site of an armed robbery according to a FOX 5 report this evening.  Why BB&T you ask?   When a bank posts a sign prohibiting law-abiding patrons from carrying their firearms lawfully, it signals to would-be criminals that the business is an easy mark and full of unarmed and complacent victims.

No bank is more dangerous to do business in than one which ensures instant victim status on the part of all their customers. Thankfully no one was hurt — this time.

?

Yeah, these “no guns” signs really work well, don’t they

1. DiversityGal said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:13 am:

So they SHOULD allow the average Joe to carry a gun into a bank…are you kidding? Quote me all the laws and rights you want…I still don’t think the average Joe with a gun would have saved the day; it has the potential to make that situation a LOT worse.

2. Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:18 am:

Someone who has undergone the training and background check necessary to have a concealed handgun permit is not the average Joe.

3. Good N. Plenty said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:20 am:

Which BB&T branch did this occur in?

4. DiversityGal said on 25 Jul 2008 at 1:06 am:

So someone who has undergone the training and background check would definitely have the same skills as a law enforcement officer to handle a robbery with their gun? That same someone couldn’t possibly turn what could have been a just a robbery (yes, this is a horrible thing) into a mass homicide (a much more horrible thing) when it is discovered he/she has a gun? These things should at least be considered, I think.

5. DaveonDublin said on 25 Jul 2008 at 2:00 am:

DiversityGal - my first thought was to agree with you - but what would happen if you were in the bank with your family, and he aimed the weapon at you with full intention to pull the trigger to make an example? It’s not something any of us would like to imagine, but it is necessary to do before forming an opinion. Those “signs” don’t keep out the bad guys and their guns, and people should be allowed a fighting chance.

With that said - I still see your point on possibly making the situation worse. What if the guy came in with a gun, but had no intention to shoot anyone, and a “hero” decides to pull out his. A shootout could occurs and innocent people could get caught in the crossfire. That is where proper training comes in tho.

Im not a gun type of guy, but who am I to say that someone isn’t allowed to protect themselves? And why do we ONLY see the signs at banks? What makes that type of business so special?

6. Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:15 am:

Sure, but what training do you have to go through to open carry? My impression is not much. It is why I am always leery of staying in a setting with someone who carrying it openly. It is completely within their right to have their side arm on - I respect and honor that. It is the law and one steeped in a lot of tradition. But it is my right to leave with my family if I know nothing about them, their training, or their attitudes regarding its use. I am not going to go up to them and interview them about their experience or intentions with firearms. I am just going to turn around and leave.

7. Bob said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:25 am:

You and hopefully the robbers as well…;-)

8. BattleCat said on 25 Jul 2008 at 7:10 am:

I see, Diversity Gal.

But the average criminal can tote his gun around wherever he chooses, and shoot average Joe at his convenience. It’s a shame felons can’t vote..you’d be President!

9. Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 7:46 am:

The people who open carry in VA are a small, but growing group of firearms right advocates. That group probably has far more experience with firearms than the “average joe” as well.

10. Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:31 am:

Probably has more experience means nothing. If you are going to open carry in public in the presence of my family, there should be some requirement that demonstrates you know what you are doing. Probably does not cut it.

11. mnd said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:39 am:

The folks trying to make training or experience an issue here would be shocked to learn what passes for “firearms qualification” in some police forces.

The issue here is that “gun free zones” only protect criminals.

12. Mustang Marine wife said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:40 am:

GoodNPlenty,

It was the one at 10420 Portsmouth–just a bit down the street from Barnes and Noble on Sudley, almost directly across from the Manassas mall.

13. Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:44 am:

You are absolutely right about the gun free zone. This is the second post in a week about open carry. It is a legitimate discussion.

14. Pat.Herve said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:00 am:

Even the best trained people make a mistake.

Look at Tillman.

15. jfk said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:39 am:

Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:15 am:

Show me some stats that indicate its dangerous for citizens to carry in public. Think about it: what robber would want to go into a bank knowing the odds were good someone inside would have a pistol, and would likely want to protect their money?

16. Dolph said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:55 am:

There is no cause and effect here. The bank was robbed because there are crooks out there, not because of some no gun policy that no one pays attention to anyway.

17. Dixie said on 25 Jul 2008 at 10:51 am:

Are you completely brainwashed? Seems to me that the criminal was the one with a gun in the establishment. Or are you one of those that are going to depend on the government to protect you? If so they are possitvely giddy about the prospect. We here in Alabama protect ourselves. Have you read the Constitution? Familiar with the second amendment or is it just a GD piece of paper? Here is something to chew on…

Next time you walk into your favorite Alabama restaurant, look around. Chances are that two-thirds of the customers will own a gun and nearly half will have a permit to carry a concealed weapon into the establishment.

18. Anonymous said on 25 Jul 2008 at 11:09 am:

Mustang Marine wife said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:40 am:
    GoodNPlenty,

That’s the one. It is hit 2 or 3 times a year and to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been caught.

19. Free Citizen said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:13 pm:

Diversity Gal has it all wrong. She needs to go some where and get reprogramed. Even if that will do it.
    She does not it appears to respect any of our established Laws.

If this sign is displayed here or anywhere,it’s an invitation to come and rob us.

I can’t believe the Police doesn’t have a talk to any business that has such signs.

This sign and leaving your keys in your car is an invitation for the crooks, criminals. Lets wise up.

20. Johnson said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:51 pm:

If all of us who wished to do so were “walking the dog”, our society would be oh, so much more polite. Unfortunately, it would take a few shootings to bring the point home. Granted, a normal person with a concealed carry permit is not as well trained as a police officer. But, I would trust him/her with a firearm so much more than a bad guy.

21. The North Won :) said on 25 Jul 2008 at 1:23 pm:

Why the heck would I ever walk into an Alabama restaurant? Why the heck would I ever even go to Alabama? You make a lot of assumptions, Dixie. :)

22. jfk said on 25 Jul 2008 at 1:36 pm:

I’m sure the people in Alabama appreciate your sentiments, and hope you never change your mind.

23. Dixie said on 25 Jul 2008 at 1:45 pm:

The North Won :) said on 25 Jul 2008 at 1:23 pm:

Are you aware what state your in?

As a former resident of Fairfax and Manassas, Virginia ( we left three years ago), I can safely say that Alabama was like Virginia twenty years ago until liberals like you moved in.
    Please do not grace us with your presence, you won’t have quite the luck down here you have had in Virginia, turning into the cesspool you came from.

Thanks JFK, I won’t…

24. Johnson said on 25 Jul 2008 at 2:09 pm:

Give Dixie a break, folks. As you can see, there is a real difference between north and south. Personally, I’d like the purveyors of the War of Northern Agression to remain in the North. The brie is better at room temp. Has anyone seen the difference between firearm murder rates in NYC and Richmond?

We shoot back! :-)

25. Anchor Baby said on 25 Jul 2008 at 2:18 pm:

In that situation I’m not sure I as an open carrier would’ve drawn down on the suspects. I say that because the bank doesn’t care that it’s robbed, it’s insured. The people’s deposits are all insured. No one ‘loses’ anything (except for maybe increased fees/rates) for the bank to compensate on increased deposit insurance.

I would only draw my weapon if my life or the life of someone else was in immediate danger. So, in my Friday afternoon armchair quarterbacking in this situation I would’ve done nothing but sit there like a sheep. If the criminal had actively attacked someone or I had an overwhelming belief that the criminal would use lethal force then I’d draw down.

I open carry everywhere I am legaly able to. Bank of America has no issue with it. I’ve not been asked to leave from any food establishment in Northern Virginia, etc. Most people just don’t care that I have a weapon on my hip. They assume you are either a cop or that you know what your doing. Just the other day I was shopping in Best Buy for a Playstation 3 and had many kids around me and my openly carried glock. No issues - no screaming mothers, nothing.

As for people carrying (openly or concealed) I don’t see an issue with it nor do I think they ‘must have training’. No one trained me on my first amendment right and I use it all the time. So, let me keep my second amendment right so that I can always make sure you get to keep your first.

26. KP said on 25 Jul 2008 at 2:45 pm:

Why doesn’t BB&T station an undercover police officer there during business hours? Maybe armed with a Glock .40 with a laser sight and 7 or 8 spare, loaded clips. Maybe he can take out a few anti-gun fanatics as well.

27. BattleCat said on 25 Jul 2008 at 3:09 pm:

It’s a “magazine” :)

28. Anchor Baby said on 25 Jul 2008 at 3:13 pm:

A person choosing to be anti-gun is something a person can choose in a free society. They can even lobby to change laws. You have to respect that. Much like they must respect our ability to carry CC or OC as we wish as long as we do so in a legal manner.

Being flippant and saying you want antis to be taken out is counter productive to the cause as it brings emotion into the debate.

Let a person have their opinion about guns and recognize that they are entitled to that opinion - in our system of government the lobby with the most money and votes will get their way.

Personanly? I won’t be happy until the state government strips away VT and any other anti-gun school of their state funding until they either allow carry on campus or sign an agreement that they’ll be liable for any deaths that occur on campus as they’ve stripped away their students right to self defense.

29. Johnson said on 25 Jul 2008 at 4:33 pm:

Anti’s fear the lobby. They might be endangered by an armed citizen. Drive-thru only!

30. es_la_ley said on 25 Jul 2008 at 5:21 pm:

Armed citizen stops bank robbery suspect….

31. es_la_ley said on 25 Jul 2008 at 5:41 pm:

mnd said on 25 Jul 2008 at 8:39 am:

Quite right. Accuracy and being safe & competent are not the same things. I shot with a couple ‘officers’ recently and they sucked. ;-)

32. DPortM said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:06 pm:

Dixie - I think that comment was directed at The North Won - not you!

33. mnd said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:52 pm:

es_la_ley,

I think it’s important to avoid unfair characterizations; some of the best gun fighters out there have law enforcement backgrounds, and have gone on to training positions where their experience and instruction can save lives.

While we’d like all our sworn peace officers to be expert marksmen the reality is that the badge often comes with very little in the way of real rigorous training, and that departmental budgets pinched by rising costs may opt to reduce firearms training to once yearly qualification. (Usually hoping or encouraging their officers to obtain outside training and practice at personal expense.)

It’s only a matter of a time and money for a private citizen to obtain training and skills that surpass those of most law enforcement personnel.

In the end, the stranger with a holstered pistol you see in a gun friendly establishment may be an IPSC champion or have extensive training with Gunsite, Blackwater or other internationally known training programs, or he may be an occasional plinker, with no more recent practical range experience than the officer who has only shot enough to pass yearly qualification.

The armed, law abiding citizen has everything to lose should he have a lapse in judgment or make a wrong decision. This reality should hopefully govern and moderate his actions. A criminal, intent on money, power or harm faces no such restraints.

Even the FBI’s statistics make the case that the armed citizen is far less of a danger to the general public than our own armed police officers! (Based on the incidences of “bad shoots”, that is where lethal force is directed at an innocent or uninvolved party.)

34. Citizen 12 said on 25 Jul 2008 at 7:01 pm:

DiversityGal said on 25 Jul 2008 at 12:13 am:
    …..I still don’t think the average Joe with a gun would have saved the day; it has the potential to make that situation a LOT worse.

How so DV? One less criminal on the street? So explain how the news NEVER reports a criminal caught using a gun is a holder of a canceled carry permit? Because they are not.

Crime continues to go down in areas that issue concealed carry permits, and increases in areas with heavy gun controls. Do the research and you will find areas that the Brady Campaign people give high praise to for their restrictions on guns, just so happen to have high gun crime statistics.

Prince William County is above the national average for convictions, and will see violent crimes prosecuted with convictions only about 52% of the time. This means about 48% of the criminals are not caught. But the victims are still victims.

There are those of us who believe in our second amendment and the right to keep ourselves out of those statistics all together.

35. es_la_ley said on 25 Jul 2008 at 9:43 pm:

mnd said on 25 Jul 2008 at 6:52 pm:

es_la_ley,

[rest deleted for brevity]

Your reply is spot on and I couldn’t agree with you more. I definitely didn’t mean to unfairly characterize anyone!
    My bad!

36. anon said on 29 Jul 2008 at 2:48 am:

12/28/06 - VCDL Board member thwarts bank robber!

Dennis’s report:

On Tuesday the 26th of December I went down to the Sun Trust bank in Hopewell to complete some financial transactions. I got there just as they were opening and entered with a woman who had been waiting outside. There were three tellers in position to the left, one customer service associate at a desk to the right, and the manager was seated in his office to the rear right, so there were seven of us in the bank.

I have been banking there for years and know the tellers fairly well, who are quite used to me walking in with my holstered 1911 government model .45 and two reserve magazines. As I was transacting business with my teller, a man came in through the front door on this warm December morning wearing a full ski mask, with only his eyes showing. He was wringing his hands and glanced furtively toward the office and then swept his eyes across the room, finally towards me and the tellers. At that, he turned and BOLTED back out the door!

The teller next to my position was the first to recognize the implications of what had just happened, and yelled for the manager who came rushing out from his office. He glanced toward me before sticking his head out the front door, looking both ways down the sidewalk, and pronouncing that the suspicious character had apparently left the area. The same teller then expressed her relief that I had been there, and mentioned that the next Sun Trust down on Route 10 (Iron Bridge Road) had just been robbed the week
    before.

I went by the bank again today to make a deposit - same three tellers on duty. I asked them if the police were called over the ski-masked intruder. They said no, but they had all discussed the incident yesterday afternoon and agreed that it was me standing there with a gun at Sharon’s window (first one from the door) that spooked him into changing his plans, and they all thanked me again (although I didn’t DO anything).

For a link to the whole story.

37. jen said on 31 Jul 2008 at 9:51 pm:

You all do realize that banks don’t even want the police called in until the robber exits? WHY? Because they are afraid of hostage situations!! They do not want employees OR clients to be harmed. Generally, the tellers dont keep much money in their drawers anyway. Is anyones life worth $3000? They dont want a “hero” to come save the day… they want the robbers out ASAP!

So… why does the bank not want you to carry in the lobby?

A) they dont know what sort of person you are (keep in mind the rules must be equal so this could be your 1st of 500th visit) and how you react under pressure.

B) well… i dont know all that much about guns (as im in fairfax where the vast majority of people do not carry guns everywhere) but when you carry do you have to have a visible permit on your person? how do they know if you are licensed to carry?

C) they desperately DO NOT want a shoot out in their store.

In any case the bank is private property, not public… so they have a right to choose how they want to do business. If you do not like their business practice… why dont you go to a different bank? It does make sense that banks dont want guns in the office as, banks ARE highly prone to being robbed. The less chance someone will die in one of them the better. I know I would be more comfortable in a bank with no carry inside policy because, how do I know how the person will react he COULD be a total idiot and get me killed!

Does anyone have homicide rates of banks robbed with and without Average Joe carriers inside at time of robbery? I think that might be interesting to find out.