News Roundup

By Greg L | 25 July 2008 | Uncategorized | 22 Comments

Lots seems to have happened while I was out of the country most of this week.  Here are some of the highlights:

Judy Feder wanted folks both inside and outside of the 10th District to contact their Congresscritters demanding we surrender in Iraq and run away as soon as possible.  Folks in Virginia’s First District probably didn’t appreciate the request a whole lot since it asked them to contact the late Jo Ann Davis.  What a freakin’ moron.  Does she still think that the 11th District is represented by “Tom Wolfe” as well?

Residents are reporting new gang graffiti - the latest hotspots seem to be the vacant Altmed building on Route 234 in the Manassas area, a Taco Bell on Harbor Drive in Tackett’s Mill, and Stonewall Park.  Folks have contacted Neighborhood Services and say the problems still haven’t been cleaned up.  Hopefully the new ordinance allowing the county to clean up property and bill the owners will help get these resolved more expeditiously, but what happens when it’s on county property?  Not much, apparently.

All counties in Virginia are required as of July 1st to screen the immigration status of all incoming inmates and report the presence of illegal aliens to the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement through the Central Criminal Records Exchange of the Department of State Police.  Here’s the list of counties that appear to be working on complying with this new requirement: Rappahannock County, and well, no one else.  How nice.

Soon aftere castigating Prince William County for actually being concerned with illegal behavior on the part of foreign nationals in the county, The Washington Post points the finger at an illegal alien in the 2001 death of Chandra Levy demonstrating precisely why such an interest in ensuring that the law is obeyed is important.  Of course when the Post finally gets around to pinning this crime on Salvadoran illegal alien Ingmar Guandique, they stop mentioning his legal status.  The editorial board ought to start reading their own paper.  They’d probably find what they might learn there to be rather enlightening.

1. Ducky said on 26 Jul 2008 at 2:57 am:

Pa. teens charged in fatal beating of immigrant
    By MICHAEL RUBINKAM, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 25 minutes ago

PORT CARBON, Pa. - Three white teens were charged Friday in what officials said was an epithet-filled fatal beating of an illegal Mexican immigrant in a small northeast Pennsylvania coal town. Brandon J. Piekarsky, 16, and Colin J. Walsh, 17, were charged as adults with homicide and ethnic intimidation in the July 12 attack on Luis Ramirez.

A third teen, Derrick M. Donchak, 18, was charged with aggravated assault, ethnic intimidation and other offenses. All are from Shenandoah, where the attack occurred.

Additional charges are expected in the case that has roiled Shenandoah, a small, economically depressed town where police have reported friction between whites and a growing Hispanic population.

“As a result of this crime, a young man has lost his life. Many other lives have been devastated, and the borough of Shenandoah has been filled with tensions between many ethnic groups,” Schuylkill County District Attorney James Goodman said.

“Now that the criminal charges have been filed, we must let this case be handled in the criminal justice system,” he said.

According to a police affidavit, the defendants and three 17-year-olds encountered Ramirez, 25, and a teenage girl in a park the night of July 12.

The youths goaded Ramirez and the girl, saying, “You should get out of this neighborhood” and “Get your Mexican boyfriend out of here,” documents said. After Ramirez and the girl began walking away, someone yelled an ethnic slur at him, court documents said. He responded, “What’s your problem?”

A fight ensued, during which police said Walsh punched Ramirez in the face. The victim fell and hit his head on the street, leaving him unconscious, after which Piekarsky kicked him in the head, police said.

All three suspects used ethnic slurs during the fight, which ended with Ramirez in convulsions and foaming at the mouth, authorities said. The attackers fled the scene; Ramirez underwent surgery but died July 14 of head injuries.

Piekarsky and Walsh were being held without bail, while Donchak was held on $75,000 bail.

Lawyers for Piekarsky and Walsh said their clients are not guilty and that there was no evidence to support the homicide charges. They also said they would try to have the case removed to juvenile court.

Roger Laguna, Walsh’s lawyer, said the police affidavit “pretty much describes chaos, and what you have then after the fact is somebody trying to sort through that and attribute certain acts to certain individuals.”

Crystal Dillman, the victim’s 24-year-old fiancee, who is white and grew up in Shenandoah, has said Ramirez was often called derogatory names and told to return to his homeland. The couple had two children together, and Dillman also has a 3-year-old who thought of Ramirez as her father.

“I plan on moving out of this town as fast as I can. Not because I’m scared. I just don’t want to see my children have to deal with what their father dealt with,” Dillman said.

2. DPortM said on 26 Jul 2008 at 6:39 am:

This hate crime committed by American citizens is a disgrace. How shameful. I hope the complete wrath of the judicial system comes to bear on these three teenagers. Does Pennsylvania have the death penalty?

3. legal2 said on 26 Jul 2008 at 7:40 am:

It cuts both ways. The death of the illegal at the hands of these disgusting American teens would be 100% preventable - if the victim were not here in the first place.

4. DPortM said on 26 Jul 2008 at 7:57 am:

legal2 - you are correct. If he wasn’t here illegally, he would still be alive.

The American people are fed up with the federal government’s failure to handle the illegal immigration crisis. We have laws that aren’t enforced. This frustration leaves Americans angry and resentful - which is not an excuse for murder - but I admit I feel anger and resentment. I would never, however, commit murder.

One could say that it is the federal government’s fault that this illegal alien was murdered.

5. Adjmajor said on 26 Jul 2008 at 12:31 pm:

Folks, I have to tell you that I am completely frustrated with Prince William County. On the 18th of July, I noticed that the Taco Bell in Tacketts Mill (on Harbor Drive) had been defaced MASSIVELY with SUR-13 graffiti. It was quite an extensive job and the vandals must have been there quite awhile. I did what they tell you to do: call the cops. I call non-emergency in PWC and the dispatcher asked me for the address of the taco bell. I told her it was Tackett’s Mill, but that wasn’t good enough and she clearly wasn’t in any hurry to help me out. FINALLY, I told her to hold on while I LOOKED THE ADDRESS UP. She then asked me if it was “gang” or “wanna-be” gang taggings and I told her it was obviously the real deal since it read over and over “SUR-13.” She completely blew me off because it didn’t read “MS-13.” Okie dokie. Two days later, I drive by and the Taco Bell is exactly the same. On the 21st of July, I wrote to Corey Stewart and the Occuquan County BOS (I can’t remember his name) to ask for help on the graffiti - I have yet to hear back from either of them. I went to the PWC website and found a Clean Community website and called them. The woman was stunned because she said the police were sapose to pass this information onto her and so far, she had heard nothing. Finally, I emailed Greg who told me to take pictures (which I plan to do today). I feel like I went above and beyond to handle this situation and still the graffiti is up. I give up - sorry for the rant, but I’m frustrated!

6. Free Citizen said on 26 Jul 2008 at 2:08 pm:

Adjmajor,

I am familiar with what you say.
    We’re told to call the Police,non emergency number but who ever is answering these phones don’t know what to do. They are completely out of touch.

I wonder how much of our tax dollars they get paid???

I guess the best thing to do is turn it into Neighborhood Serveice and let them push it to where it belongs.

All we have gotten is more money for these agencies and they give us the run around.

7. Adjmajor said on 26 Jul 2008 at 3:09 pm:

Free Citizen: I hear you and I agree. I’m at the point where if they give me the paint, I’ll go take care of this myself. Geez…..

8. es_la_ley said on 26 Jul 2008 at 4:41 pm:

Ducky said on 26 Jul 2008 at 2:57 am:

Hang them from the highest tree!

9. DiversityGal said on 26 Jul 2008 at 5:54 pm:

legal2,

I understand what you are saying, but I find that argument in poor taste. If I as a legal citizen decided to take a trip to New York City, and was murdered, I suppose one could make the argument that my death was 100% preventable had I not decided to take the trip.

10. Karla H said on 26 Jul 2008 at 6:10 pm:

DiversityGal, I believe the salient point in legal2’s argument is that the illegal shouldn’t have been in the USA, by law. If you went to NYC, you would not be breaking the law. The law is designed for everyone’s protection (victims and would be perps). Does this make sense to you?

11. Karla H said on 26 Jul 2008 at 6:25 pm:

“PORT CARBON, Pa. - Three white teens were charged Friday in what officials said was an epithet-filled fatal beating of an illegal Mexican immigrant”… A HATE crime! …. Ahhh yes…. racism is wrong…. except when it can be used by the newspapers or our judicial system! Murder is already a crime. And it is objective (after all… there is a dead body). Hate, on the other hand, is subjective.

12. DaveonDublin said on 26 Jul 2008 at 10:40 pm:

As long as its a victim, it’s OK for AP to point out that it was a poor innocent illegal alien. Perhaps we may not be getting the rest of the story.

“police have reported friction between whites and a growing Hispanic population.”

This could mean a variety of things. Does the victim have a history with the accused? Was he in a gang? Is the only witness the victim’s girlfriend? Why would an interracial couple choose to hang out alone at night, in the park of a small town that had well-documented and known racial tension? For all we know they could of been looking for a fight. After all, this isn’t the 1st time the victim’s girlfriend claims to have been “harassed”.

Innocent until proven guilty, lets not publicly hang these kids just yet…

13. Anonymous said on 26 Jul 2008 at 11:54 pm:

Karla H said on 26 Jul 2008 at 6:10 pm:
    DiversityGal, Does this make sense to you?

I doubt it. Another dingbat from anti-bvbl.

14. DiversityGal said on 27 Jul 2008 at 12:25 am:

Karla H,

I understand what you are saying…but it seems to me that the implication is that because I am a legal citizen and would do nothing wrong by traveling to NYC, I would not deserve to die. Are we really trying to make the point that this young man somehow deserved what he got (DEATH) because he was here illegally?

15. Anonymous said on 27 Jul 2008 at 7:31 am:

DaveonDublin,
    Innocent until proven guilty is EXACTLY RIGHT. However, that’s not usually the menality on this blog.

16. americangal4ever said on 27 Jul 2008 at 6:38 pm:

Cops: Suspected Gang Members Gunned Down Girl, 8
    Thursday, July 24, 2008

LOS ANGELES — Police searching for two suspected gang members who gunned down an 8-year-old girl in an apartment building courtyard were questioning possible witnesses and fielding calls from tipsters Thursday, police said.

The victim was identified as Jasmine Sanders, who lived at the South Los Angeles apartment building where she was shot, said county coroner’s spokesman Craig Harvey.

There were no suspects in custody, Officer Marjan Mobasser said.

“We are getting a lot of tips from the public so hopefully that will help investigators find who the suspects are,” she said.

Children were playing in the courtyard of their apartment building when two males in their late teens approached and opened fire at a nearby group of people, Mobasser said.

The girl was hit in the chest and pronounced dead at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, she said.

Capt. Dennis Kato told KTTV-TV the girl was an unintended target of the shooting, which was believed to be gang-related.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa promised a swift reaction by police.

“We are going to do everything possible to investigate this matter, to bring these individuals to justice,” he said.

17. CitizenofManassas said on 27 Jul 2008 at 7:19 pm:

I suppose if we were all apologists for non illegals, we would make excuses for this crime.

18. MdMan said on 27 Jul 2008 at 8:36 pm:

Ducky is trading in the same sick, slanted PC currency as the main stream media. In the rare instance an illegal is victimized by a citizen(s) the story is plastered about in a second and the cries or racism are trumpeted.

But the recurring instances of illegal aliens menancing our society, raping children, and literally getting away with murder get glossed over or twisted into a civil rights struggle.

Nice Ducky. How un-American of you. Sicko.

19. CitizenofManassas said on 28 Jul 2008 at 7:58 am:

Also,

What about the illegal that killed a father, and his two sons in San Francisco.

I suppose the headline should have been illegal hispanic killed three whites in a road rage murder. Of course we all know that would not happen.

BTW, the same holds true for police killings. The only time race is mentioned is if the officer is white and the victim was black.

The media is way too PC and way to obsessed with race when it comes to minorities.

20. Anonymous said on 28 Jul 2008 at 6:10 pm:

DaveonDublin said on 26 Jul 2008 at 10:40 pm:

Why wern’t they home with the 3 illegitimate kids?

21. Was a carpenter said on 3 Aug 2008 at 11:51 am:

If these people were not in this country ILLEGALLY we would not have this problem. If the federal government does not clean this mess up… deport and stop more from entering the country. This case will pale in comparison to the violence that might occur. I work in the construction industry and I see guys everyday that are on the verge of an all out war on these illegal workers. It is very very volatile situation on the job sites. Hard working guys are suffering at the hands of these people taking the jobs that nobody wants (Yea! Right). I don’t condone murder, but I think this is just the start of a new kind of hate crime. Stop anchor baby programs!!!!!! Stop giving more work visa!!!!!!!!! Mass deportation NOW!!!!!!!! No more welfare for illegals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Build the damn fence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hire more border agents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fine those who rent to and employ illegals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN I COULD GO ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I”M SO SICK OF THIS S#@T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. edwardg said on 5 Aug 2008 at 6:43 pm:

Hey Mr. Carpenter, I guess we should go to the college of our choice, park ourselves in any class we want. If anyone objects, We say it’s ok wer’e just here to learn. If they say wer’e not legally enrolled, we say, it’s ok, nobodies illegal. We only want to take the classes you don’t want to take. And, after a few years, every seat is occupied by un-enrolled construction workers,and ,our wealthier neighbors kids can’t find a seat anywhere. Maybe, then theyl’l understand what it’s like for us construction workers. I worked in bricklaying around 27 years, and, 2.5 years merchant marine. I tried the honorable path to college, you know , working hard to learn a trade , so I could pay my own way. But, I fell 3 stories in 1983, fractured 5 vertabrae in my spine. But, eventually returned to masonry. I’ve had illegals tell me this isn’t my country, and threaten to shoot me.. So, much for the American dream. Now, our benevolent politicians want to give all blue-collar work to illegal Hispanics. Even Barak is too young to know how much damage he’s doing. I honor john McCain highly, but he wants to let illegals stay also. While ,promising Americans , they won’t outsource others jobs. …And , don’t forget…there was one victim at Jena..and Barak marched for those who gang jumped one man. And Barak, took up the song Si Se Puede in support of illegals.. Blind leading the blind….Deport al illegals..and create jobs..