Hard Times On Route 234

By Greg L | 29 July 2008 | Local Economy | 92 Comments

Oh, what a happy day.  Hard Times Cafe is getting ready to open on Route 234 near Sudley Manor Drive in what used to be a Korean mafia owned place called “Sharpshooters”.  For a while that place was having a “gay night” on Thursdays, and was the scene of several large brawls connected with their “hip hop night” that never seemed to get mentioned in the local papers.  Instead of having that semi-persistent neighborhood problem, we’re getting a trade-in for  some of the best Chili outside of New Mexico.

I am a huge fan of their Texas Chili Mac, and the Terlingua Red isn’t shabby at all.  When they open, I am there.  This is some of the best business news to have broken in years in Prince William County as far as I’m concerned, and it’s opening just down the street from me.  If our local economy keeps up like this, it’s going to cause permanent emotional damage to members of the illegal alien lobby that are struggling just as hard as they can to cry about a three block stretch of Route 1 that has been in decline for the past five years as proof that business hates us here.  They can cry in their papusas to their heart’s content as long as I can chow down on Hard Times chili, wash it down with a beer, and enjoy the country atmosphere that says “Made In The USA” from one end of the place to the other.

No, today I feel that local business absolutely loves us.  We got a Hard Times Cafe on this end of the county!

1. Linda B said on 29 Jul 2008 at 9:34 pm:

Sigh. Herndon just lost its Hard Times. That’s the type of migration I hate to see.

2. CitizenofManassas said on 29 Jul 2008 at 10:40 pm:

That is good. We’ve not tried the new backyard grill, but will give it a try soon. I like Hard Times, though, I wish they would use thin pasta instead of the thicker size they use now.

3. sahdman said on 29 Jul 2008 at 10:50 pm:

I like the beer battered onion rings.

4. Citizen 12 said on 29 Jul 2008 at 11:04 pm:

I welcome the news!!!

And I am thankful that we don’t live in this crazy location in California. The food Nazi strikes hard.
    *****************************************************

LA blocks new fast-food outlets from poor areas

By CHRISTINA HOAG
    Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — City officials are putting South Los Angeles on a diet. The City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to place a moratorium on new fast food restaurants in an impoverished swath of the city with a proliferation of such eateries and above average rates of obesity.

For the rest of the story:

5. Brian Leeper said on 29 Jul 2008 at 11:12 pm:

I’ve been thinking for a while that there should be a Hard Times on this end of the county.

I like to get the 4-way chili/mac with a mix of Texas and Vegetarian chili.

6. Citizen 12 said on 29 Jul 2008 at 11:19 pm:

For 2006

Los Angeles Violent Crimes 30526
    Los Angeles Murders 480
    Los Angeles Rapes 1059
    Los Angeles Robberies 14353
    Los Angeles Aggravated Assaults 14634

Not one violent crime involving a hamburger, taco, fried chicken- whole or in part- or anything resembling food.

Yet the city officials put down the gauntlet against the fast food industry.

My guess is if the fast food itself was imported from China or openly supported gun control this bit of legislation would have never made it out of the box.

7. Vigilant1 said on 30 Jul 2008 at 12:53 am:

CitizenofManassas said on 29 Jul 2008 at 10:40 pm:

Backyard Grill is good. Very similar to the old Damon’s.

8. me-n-u said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:10 am:

Vigilant1 and CitizenofManassas-

I have tried the Backyard Grill. It was good, but I thought it was very pricey. I won’t eat there again. Everyone should try it at least once. The service was very good.

9. Anonymous said on 30 Jul 2008 at 7:22 am:

Wasn’t there a problem with the Hard Times in Woodbridge and its open carry policy? That said, this is exciting - I love their chili. Between that and the Liberia corridor getting a Ledo’s and Noodles & Company, these are good times for those of us who don’t always have time to cook.

10. Anonymous said on 30 Jul 2008 at 9:52 am:

The policy with open carry was resolved. I will see if I can dig the VCDL alert on that later tonight.

11. The Dude said on 30 Jul 2008 at 10:20 am:

Here’s a link to a good thread discussing all the new businesses (focussed mainly on restaurants/retail) coming to the Gainesville/Haymarket area:

Clearly the business community still wants to come to PWC.

12. Mark W. Weaver said on 30 Jul 2008 at 10:52 am:

5 way w/ Cincinnati chili … every time I stop there. Plus the cornbread. Love that cornbread!

It doesn’t take much to make me happy.

13. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 12:23 pm:

You’re not worried the building may be infected with gay germs? Any chance that young children will touch the walls and become gay?

14. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 12:33 pm:

I followed your link and read :

“We can put every illegal alien on the bus tomorrow, and we’ll be right back in this spot in a year if we don’t defeat the liberalism that causes not only illegal immigration, but pandering to homosexuals as well.”

Liberalism helps to promote homsexuality? If so, what does conservatism help to promote? Closeting of gayness.

I somehow doubt Greg that you watched “Brokeback Mountain”, but you should. (Just close your eyes during the one sex scene, as I do). You might gain some perspective on the movie’s central theme - the mess that is made in this world from closeting gayness, not only to the gays themselves but to spouses and children.

It’s fairly obvious to anyone not immersed in inane superstitious beliefs that homosexuality is genetic - that may be a simplification, but it’s one that holds mostly and one that correlates to what gay people themselves believe about their orientation. Personally, I was born straight - no one had to ‘orient’ me, and I didn’t become straight due to peer pressure or religious beliefs.

Your disdain for what God/nature created, and your desire to treat people differently because of the way they were made, brings shame to your religion.

And, even at that, the Bible you espouse has not much pointed to say about homosexuality. It is every bit as pointed about not eating shrimp, which “Christians” do in rough proportion to the rest of us.

You justify your homophobia with a misinterpretation of what is a work of fiction in the first place. Because millions of others do the same, it seems natural to you. It is not natural. It is aberrant behavior.

15. MM said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:06 pm:

I think that “Rick Bentley” is a fake poster - having read what the real Rick has written both here and on anti, I’m pretty sure that the above posts are fake. Be a man and use your real name instead of hiding behind somebody else -

16. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:08 pm:

This is me. It may not be my real name but it’s me on both boards and I’ve never seen anyone appropriate the name.

17. MM said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:09 pm:

And the Bible does say
    Leviticus 18:22 says:

“ Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination. ”

and Leviticus 20:13 states:

“ If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. “

18. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:11 pm:

I respect neither inane religious beliefs nor the current politically correct liberal orthodoxy that many accept.

And homophobia ticks me off.

19. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:29 pm:

A myriad of arguements come to mind MM. Leviticus is Old Testament; as I’ve noted it also prohibits the eating of shrimp. Supposedly much of the Old Testament is superceded by “the Crucufiction”, so it’s okay to eat shrimp now. Maybe it’s okay to be actively homosexual now too. Who knows. If God knows, he ain’t talking.

Do you advocate PUTTING GAYS TO DEATH? Don’t laugh. In the Middle East, they do that. Ironic because parts of the Middle East are (and have long been) a cesspool of pederasty (mostly men with boys). Yet from the standpoint of the religious masses homosexuality doesn’t exist, and when it is found should be harshly punished.

If you’re going to tell me it’s an abomination but that we shouldn’t necessarily stone the perpetrators to death - again anyone reading the Bible in good faith would have to say gay men lying together is a sin right up there with eating shrimp and pork, or my all-time favorite cooking a kid in its mother’s milk.

20. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:36 pm:

Oh, and one more - how much a man owe’s a girl’s father if he rapes her - http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/rape/dt22_23a.html

Very wise and brilliant, i’m sure a lot of happy marriages came out of that one.

21. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:40 pm:

Leviticus 11:10

‘But anything in the seas or rivers that does not have fins and scales, regard as an abomination. Do not eat their meat and regard their carcasses as an abomination.”

Leviticus 18:22

“ Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; it is an abomination. ”

I guess eating shrimp with your boyfriend is REALLY an abomination …

According to all this Biblical logic raping young girls is less offensive than dinner at Red Lobster. To each their own within the boundaries of US law if you want to believe that.

22. Emma said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:53 pm:

Rick,

I’m with you on this one. Some folks on the “other” site couldn’t understand why I took issue with their gay jokes. Apparently, that’s fair game.

23. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 1:57 pm:

I try to maintain a sense of humor about it, as I do about most things, but it would be nice if we could all take a big leap forward into the 21st Century and stop fearing homosexuality.

24. Emma said on 30 Jul 2008 at 2:03 pm:

It’s easy to make fun of it until it hits close to home. Attitudes can change very quickly. It’s one of those “there but for the grace of God” things for some people.

25. CitizenofManassas said on 30 Jul 2008 at 2:43 pm:

Rick,

Homophobia is a fear of gays. I have never met anyone who is afraid of gays. I have met many people who do not approve of homosexual activity and sex. I have also met many people who do not approve of underage sex and sex before marriage. Are those people anti heterosexual? Or hetrophobia? I don’t believe so.

Also thanks to those who suggested the backyard grill.

26. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 2:47 pm:

If you’re not afraid of it, why do you care if two guys have sex?

27. Rick Bentley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 2:50 pm:

I don’t like to play golf, but I don’t react to the fact that some guys like to play it.

28. Anonymous said on 30 Jul 2008 at 5:04 pm:

How did we get from chili to homophobia?

29. es_la_ley said on 30 Jul 2008 at 5:53 pm:

Anonymous said on 30 Jul 2008 at 5:04 pm:

How did we get from chili to homophobia?

Down the yellow brick road, of course. :-)

30. DiversityGal said on 30 Jul 2008 at 7:10 pm:

Rick,

I’ve disagreed with you before, but I have to say that I am with you today. I fully support what you are saying about homosexuality.

As far as the posted topic, I find it amusing that a chili parlor is being touted as having a “country atmosphere that says “Made In The USA” from one end of the place to the other, ” since chili has its origins in Mexico.

31. Anonymous said on 30 Jul 2008 at 10:22 pm:

Hard Times is awesome. I first had their chili in odd place: a post-marathon feed. Not the first thing I thought to eat with my stomach in a somewhat frail state from so much running, but doggone it, it smelled good. And it was gooooooooood.

32. CitizenofManassas said on 30 Jul 2008 at 10:54 pm:

Rick,

Are you that dense? I am against under age sex, does that mean I am against sex? Of course not. The act of homosexuality is a sin. That is not being afraid of it that is realizing it is wrong.

33. CitizenofManassas said on 30 Jul 2008 at 11:02 pm:

Diversitygal,

You might want to rethink what you posted about Chili. As usual your liberalism is getting in the way of clear thinking.

All three webpages provide that Chili in fact originated in America and not Mexico.

34. Citizen 12 said on 30 Jul 2008 at 11:33 pm:

DiversityGal said on 30 Jul 2008 at 7:10 pm:

*****************************************************
    The only thing certain about the origins of chili is that it did not originate in Mexico. Charles Ramsdell, a writer from San Antonio in an article called San Antonio: An Historical and Pictorial Guide, wrote:
    “Chili, as we know it in the U.S., cannot be found in Mexico today except in a few spots which cater to tourists. If chili had come from Mexico, it would still be there. For Mexicans, especially those of Indian ancestry, do not change their culinary customs from one generation, or even from one century, to another.”

35. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 6:58 am:

“The act of homosexuality is a sin. That is not being afraid of it that is realizing it is wrong.”

Do you get bothered when people eat shrimp? Is Congress considering a “Defense of Shrimp” act?

Why all the concern for the one Old testament “abomination” and not the other?

I submit homophobia is the difference. You justify it because of some obscure Biblical passage, which isn’t worth a hill of beans (remember “Thou Shalt Not Kill”? We kill people every day). Don’t fool yourself.

36. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 7:00 am:

We are both against under age sex because of the real-world effect it has on the underage party. Does homosexual sex have some negative effect?

37. Anonymous said on 31 Jul 2008 at 8:06 am:

Rick, is there a term for fear of shellfish? Because I have a few family members that have told me lobster is an abomination in the eyes of God.

38. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 8:52 am:

Shrimpophobia. Bills are moving through Congress right now to prohibit the sale and consumption of shrimp and lobsters. At the Federal level, Congress is moving towards a ban on crab legs, and Obama and McCain are quietly moving towards a line of “If you want to eat seafood other than fish, do it in the privacy of your own home, but for God’s sake don’t do it in public and don’t let anyone know. Don’t wave this abomination in people’s faces”.

McCain stated out loud to a cheering audience “If you feel you have to eat this stuff, at least do the rest of us the favor of pretending you’re eating something else. How am I supposed to explain to my children and grandchildren what you’re eating and why?”

The military is moving towards a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on consumption of crawfish.

Meanwhile activists are doing their best to push the envelope. In San Francisco, underground crab shacks are popping up where ecstasy-addled revelers pick crabs and wrap the carcasses in cardboard paper, then clear out in the early morning light. “For 50 dollars a night, it’s a good buzz” said one young participant. “It tastes even better if you take some amyl nitrate and dip the meat in butter”. And controversy looms over two new art exhibits being funded in part by taxpayer dollars through the NEA - “Shrimp Christ”, an impressionistic picture of Christ drawn with shrimp tails, and “Total Abomination”, an exhibit of black-and-white photographs of young boys eating lobster.

And the connection between starfish and pentagrams has not gone unnoticed by fundamentalists - “The Devil Lives Under the Sea” is a popular T-Shirt among fundmentalist Christians. “Our decadent, eat-everything society has gone too far. That’s why God attacked us” stated Pat Robertson in response to a query about the 9/11 attacks. “If God had meant for man to eat crabs, he would have attached shell hammers to our arms instead of fingers. It’s downright unnatural” stated James Dobson.

39. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 9:14 am:

I wonder if Hard Times Cafe will be open on Sundays? In the Middle America I grew up in, stores and restaurants closed on Sunday, because people felt the Bible commanded this (”Keep the sabbath holy”). Apparently Chick-Fil-A does this nowadays? But nobody else.

Perhaps God will strike us down over this soon. Better start praying.

40. DiversityGal said on 31 Jul 2008 at 11:02 am:

CitizenofManassas,

“There are, however, certain facts that one cannot overlook. The mixture of meat, beans, peppers, and herbs was known to the Incas, Aztecs, and Mayan Indians long before Columbus and the conquistadores.” - International Chili Society

So interesting…I’m reading a book right now on the demonization of the term “liberal” by right-wing America. I am one Democrat who is not afraid of the label. Thanks for the compliment!

41. Just Cause said on 31 Jul 2008 at 11:04 am:

Rick-

LMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You have no idea how I look forward to reading your posts daily..and when you take hiatus for a day or two..I’m all up in bunch..

OMG…I am addicted to your humor!!!!

42. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 11:19 am:

Hey thanks Just Cause. I like to think I have my moments.

I had one girlfriend who after 5 years on the way out said “I won’t miss your sarcasm” … my wife tolerates it, glad somebody is enjoying it.

43. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 11:27 am:

If you REALLY enjoy my style, I recommend for your consideration these humorists :

1. Lenny Bruce “He’s all about moral relativism” one person once said to me - and since morality is entirely relative and fluid he’s exactly right about things
    2. David Cross - by himself doing stand-up or in the great TV show “Mr. Show”
    3. Al Franken before he lost his sense of humor a few years ago - the books “Why Not Me”, “Lies and the Lying Liars Who tell them”, and the Rush Limbaugh diss book are fantastic biting satire. Even someone who doesn’t agree with Franken’s liberalism should be able to appreciate his embittered style.

All 3 are consistently abrasive and prone to flights of sarcastic fantasy.

Great TV shows/comedy teams in the style would be : Mr. Show, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, South Park, SCTV, and Kids in the Hall.

Howard Stern is brilliant and makes me laugh every day with subtle, hilarious remarks that no one else in the world would think of.

And there’s a little Michael O’Donoghue in me too, though I’m less sick and disaffected.

44. MP Resident said on 31 Jul 2008 at 12:49 pm:

“I am one Democrat who is not afraid of the label.”

I believe it is perfectly acceptable for one to be a Democrat.

Better a Democrat who is honest about their political leanings than a Republican who isn’t.

45. Anonymous said on 31 Jul 2008 at 1:29 pm:

Bill Maher and Robin Williams can also be deadly funny. Tony Kornheiser also has a biting sense of humor.

46. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 1:53 pm:

Maher has his moments though his consistent objectification of women can be off-putting. Kornheiser is funny, as is his cohort Michael Wibon. We’re lucky to have two sportswriters around here who are talented and who don’t do the usual negative, sarcastic cliches many towns are stuck with as sports writing.

47. Mando said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:37 pm:

@Rick Bentley

“It’s fairly obvious to anyone … that homosexuality is genetic”

Any science to back this up? Unless there’s been some breakthrough I’m not aware of, there’s been no proof that it is genetic. For the anti-creationists, homosexuality in animals is a darwinian no no and has not been found in animals other then to show dominance. If we’re all just meat-sacks looking to reproduce, homosexuality is an evolutionary dead-end and an impossibility. In that light, saying it’s genetic is absurd.

48. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:44 pm:

“homosexuality in animals is a darwinian no no and has not been found in animals other then to show dominance”

Just as 50 years ago most people thought there were hardly any gay people, now most of us presume animals are all straight as well.

Check this out - http://www.salon.com/it/feature/1999/03/cov_15featurea.html

49. Rick Bentley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:45 pm:

homosexuality looks like a genetic predisposition that occurs in about 8% of mammals, randomly

50. Just Cause said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:53 pm:

Mando I disagree..

What about the thousands and thousands of people who are trans gendered?? You think that isnt genetic? then what is your fact based prognosis as to why people are gay and some are living as the opposite gender? I have several gay couples that are close friends of mine and they all say the same thing to me when this topic comes up and that is:

“In todays society do you honestly believe I would CHOSE to be gay??” Instead they CHOSE to be who they are and who god created them to be..which in my eyes is brave considering the outcome some have to face.

51. Mando said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:59 pm:

I said science. With scientists using the scientific method.

52. CitizenofManassas said on 31 Jul 2008 at 4:05 pm:

Diversitygal,

Hey if you want to be known as an anti- American military, anti-American person fine with me. But, why don’t you park yourself in Cuba or China and spout off. Funny how you libs complain about the so called assault by President Bush on Civil Rights, yet y’all do not have a backbone to back up your brainless spew up and put your money where you mouth and live in a Country that is not run by Conservatives.

Why don’t you spout off about illegal aliens, or do you only support criminals that you agree with? Sort of a hypocrite if you ask me. But, I suppose that is liberalism for you.

Do you really support child rapists and killers? You complained about the criminal who killed two people, by saying we should go after drunk driving. Yet, said nothing to the fact the guy who did the killing was an illegal.

How about the illegal in San Fran who killed a father and his two kids. Is that something you support? I suppose you would rather go after the guns he used rather then blame an illegal for killing three people.

Gee, I bet there are plenty of recipes that mixed meats, beans, etc long before the term “Chili” came into being.

Rick,

Where have I ever said I support killing people? Homosexuality is a sin. If God wanted same sex relationships, he would have provided us with the means of pro-creating that way. We can only pro-create(without medical assistance) by having opposite sex relationships.

53. Mando said on 31 Jul 2008 at 4:08 pm:

“WHY are you comparing humans to animals on this subject???? I personally dont lick my own genitals to clean myself…but my dog does..”

For one, we were talking about genetics. Evolution. Homosexuality is a genetic and evolutionairy dead-end. 2nd, if there is no creator, all we are are relatively intelligent (re - able to wash our genitals rather then having to lick them) meat-sacks.

My personal opinion is that homosexuality is caused by environmental influences.

54. Mando said on 31 Jul 2008 at 4:25 pm:

“In todays society do you honestly believe I would CHOSE to be gay??”

Absolutely. We are rather accepting of and even encourage homosexuality these days. Watch T.V. much? Not saying your friends chose to be gay, but it is rather in vogue to do so. I have two acquintances that turn it on and off like a light switch. Both were in horrible heterosexual relationships.

Some choose and some don’t. I’m just saying there hasn’t been any scientific finding as far as a homosexual gene. Until that discovery, it cannot be said that homosexuality is genetic.

55. anon143 said on 31 Jul 2008 at 4:47 pm:

How did we get from Hard Times Cafe to homosexuality?

56. legal2 said on 31 Jul 2008 at 5:29 pm:

Mando, don’t forget the recruitment factor. Young boys are often targeted.

57. es_la_ley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 6:37 pm:

Just Cause said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:53 pm:

I always thought that your 23rd chromosome pair determined your sex. XX = female. XY = male. All the hormonal treatments, surgery, etc., one would have to go through to change their sex won’t change their DNA so I, personally, don’t see how it can be ‘genetic’. But what do I know?

I personally dont lick my own genitals to clean myself…but my dog does..

How’d you train your dog to do that to you?

[Just kidding. :-) ]

58. es_la_ley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 6:44 pm:

anon143 said on 31 Jul 2008 at 4:47 pm:

How did we get from Hard Times Cafe to homosexuality?

Thank Rick for that. He hijacked the thread [big wide grin].

59. Michael said on 31 Jul 2008 at 7:00 pm:

Like we always do, it just comes out of nowhere, because of one comment.

Dear Lord, give me the strength and the courage to answer this one correctly.

There are in my belief thousands of “laws” that religions around the world impose on mankind, and probably hundreds of thousands of Man-Made doctrinal laws that religious people and leaders of churches impose on their followers, in order to control the population, control behavior, and provide proof to whomever is “watching”, including the Lord, that they are “the most deserving of all religious people, when compared to others to receive the blessings that the religion promises”.

There is a central theme to all of these behavioral actions in almost every religion.

Do good works, condem bad works, condem the people who do bad works, sacrifice until you are miserable, and YOU WILL GAIN ENTRY INTO HEAVEN.

The miseries of the world have often been imposed on others by those of all religions who seek to gain entry into heaven by following this path.

THERE IS ONLY ONE RELIGION WHERE THIS CONCEPT IS NOT TRUE.

A belief in Christ and a religion called Christianity.

I do not have the time to look up the exact scriptures, but I can simplify what to many, many Christians is an extremely complex concept for them to grasp (until they have studied and read it ALL many times), because it causes as a result of poor or mis-interpretation, doctrines to divide and churches to fight, division of doctrine between them thereby creating different churches, and inconsistant argueing with themselves about the behavior of man within single churches, and with outsiders. “The greatest persecution will come from within the Church” (This is scriptural)

The second covenant (new testament) defines only one law. Believe in Me, all else is forgiven. If you do not believe in Me, you cannot co-exist with me in heaven, and I cannot co-exist with you.

Even a criminal who believes in Me, will gain entry into heaven. The greatest doer of works, if he does not believe in me will not gain entry into heaven.

It further defines how Christians are to deal with the hundreds of “levitican laws”. I came not to replace the law, but came to give it meaning.

Like a father, you are my children, you are not perfect and can never be, and your behavior can please and displease me. If you follow my advice as a child does the advice of his Father, you will please me and greater will be your “status” with me in heaven. If you do not behave as I wish, I will be displeased, but I will never abandon you. My relationship is with you, strengthen yours with me. I will judge you and your brother the same, when the time comes. No man will be the judge of you, that is mine only to judge.

If you understand the above concept, spread out over hundreds of scriptual references, you will understand what I am about to say next.

God is the only judge of homosexuals, you are not. His law is guidance to each individual, based on their relationship with him. That guidance will be to each individual as he understands it, has permission for it, and will be judged by it by God alone. Each individual will be judged the same, but the outcome for each under the same law (except the one law which is an unforgivable sin), will be different as God determines on a case by case basis.

If God made the natural world, and the natural processes, then both science and all manifestations in nature are his creation and “engineering” as well.

Just because humans do not understand it, have claimed it to be “false science” for thousands of years, does not mean it is, what it is, the way God created it. (For those who are disbelievers, if you do not believe that God created nature and all that is known in modern science, then nature created itself and there is no God. Believe this way at your own peril.) It is for this reason, I believe that God and Science must be in agreement and those who disagree with the evidence and reality of “modern discovered science”, Godless.

So yes, you could say that homosexuality displeases God, according to Leviticus, as does eating shellfish, and giving permission to have sex with unmarrried girls, as long as you pay off the father, BUT THAT IS NOT THE POINT.

Homosexuals are loved by GOD as much as any other human being, though homosexuality may displease him, Homosexuals will NOT be prevented from getting into heaven (do you understand why?)

Now, here is my belief as a result of studying science (some of you should read more and talk less):
    I think we are genetically designed to not be homosexual (there is no homosexual gene sequence), but somewhere along the way of Stem Cell diversification (A process controlled by DNA polymerase and sequencing), a command send by a stem cell to determine physiology (protein creation structure), is inconsistent with a defect in a command (RNA synthesis or sequencing) sent by a different Stem Cell diversifying to determine brain structure and hormonal differences, that separate the chemistry of males and females from the physiology of males and females. A mistake is made in the development of a human being (like thousands of other possible mistakes, some of which create Downs syndrone, some of which create sickle cell anemia, some of which create diabetes, etc, etc, etc (do you get the genetics picture here?). Genes are not the same as protein synthesis, and mistakes can be made and repeated anywhere in the process.

So my advice: Accept it, it is what it is. You can make a personal choice not to practice it. But, it is not for you to determine punishment, if any in lieu of the Lord. That is his alone to make as he sees fit for each “individual” accoring to his needs and his relationship with God.

I am not a homosexual, the thought of it turns my brain into a “disgusted state”, but I am convinced that is a “learned behavior” and a result of my stem diversification and hormonal makeup. Kind of like eating brocolli was for George Bush Senior.

Here is the only reference I have found yet for evidence in science to support the above. I’m sure more will come as we understand stem cell diversification and incredible complexities of protein synthesis.

The word “AGAPE” may apply best here.

60. Bob Wills said on 31 Jul 2008 at 8:28 pm:

Michael said

If being streight or homosexual is a choice I wonder how many people can remember when they chose to want to love a stick or a crack ? I doubt if anyone can remember when they made a ” choice “. Why can it not be just who you are for what ever reason.

Just think if the military allowed more gays there might be less rapes and sexual assaults on women but what does the military care about women.

61. Anonymous said on 31 Jul 2008 at 8:35 pm:

Rick, thanks for the shrimp phobia breakdown. On Saturday, my family can be found protesting Red Lobster, complete with pictures of cows and chickens who are neglected in the food chain because of the sinful consumption of shellfish.

They are coming over this weekend, actually. Any menu suggestions?

62. Tyler Durden said on 1 Aug 2008 at 10:33 am:

Just Cause:

Admit it, you would if you could, wouldn’t you?

Citizen of Manassas: I don’t think the Bible classifies homosexuality as a sin (I may be wrong, as I’m not as conversant with the Book as I would like to be). I think it classifies the act (between men) as an “abomination.” Again, I’m no expert on the Bible or religion in general, but it would seem to me that an abomination is something less than a sin. Something that would be repulsive, something to be discouraged, (maybe even something to be discriminated against) but it’s not a sin that’s Ever-lasting-life threatening, like continued violation of the Commandments without redemption. I think It also says that a nation that accepts homosexuality will not survive.

This is too deep for me. I’m just a soap maker.

63. Just Cause said on 1 Aug 2008 at 1:41 pm:

Tyler- LMAO…actually I would not..

Mando- I still disagree with you…out of curiosity, do you know any homosexuals?

64. Just Cause said on 1 Aug 2008 at 2:07 pm:

es_la_ley said on 31 Jul 2008 at 6:37 pm:
    Just Cause said on 31 Jul 2008 at 3:53 pm:

*****

The term Trans-gendered I am talking about is a person who lives opposite the gender they were assigned at birth..I also want to add, How does a 3 year old “learn by their surrondings” that they are in fact a GIRL but born a boy??

65. Mando said on 1 Aug 2008 at 2:55 pm:

“Mando- I still disagree with you…out of curiosity, do you know any homosexuals?”

Yes. Many. Some friends, some acquitances, some co-workers. Some open, some closet, some in between.

66. Anonymous said on 1 Aug 2008 at 4:13 pm:

Tyler -
    “I think it classifies the act (between men) as an “abomination.” ”

So what does that make it for women?

67. ateacher said on 1 Aug 2008 at 9:34 pm:

anomolies on the 23 chromosome lead to down syndrome. There is also Klinefelters syndrome where a child is XXY, hermaphrodites also have extra chromosomes and two distinct sexual organs. These children are born that way and ended up thru no sin of their own.

68. Diversity Gal said on 1 Aug 2008 at 10:45 pm:

CitizenofManassas,

Must you hurl all that trash at me? Did I really make you THAT mad? Accuse me of supporting rapists and killers all you want; it just seems like a completely ridiculous accusation to me. Murder, rape, and drunk driving are all horrible crimes…I think you and I agree on that. You and I just differ on whether or not we should tie illegal immigration status to those crimes.

I am a proud liberal. I love my country. Just like lots of people in this and other blogs…I constructively criticize and ask questions of government when there is a concern. I participate in public service. I try to defend those who I think are wronged. Though you are not a liberal, I am sure you are doing the same.

Though I disagree with you, and you have an obvious distaste for my opinion, you cannot push me out of my country. Patriotism does NOT mean you have to agree with every government decision made, or just shut up about it. Come on…would a blog like this even exist if that were true?

So please do me a favor…stop all the trash talk. I’m not calling you brainless, suggesting you leave the country, demonizing your “conservative” label, or saying that you support murder. For heaven’s sake…I was talking about CHILI!!!!

69. Anonymous said on 2 Aug 2008 at 9:23 am:

I’m depressed. Some of the best business news to have broken in years in Prince William County is the opening of a chili joint.

70. anon143 said on 2 Aug 2008 at 9:41 am:

Anonymous said on 2 Aug 2008 at 9:23 am:

In years? That’s a bit much…..take an aspirin and call the doc in the AM.

71. CitizenofManassas said on 3 Aug 2008 at 8:47 am:

Diversitygal,

If you did not hate your Country, you would not support illegals, who are killers, child rapists, etc. Illegals are not victims, they are criminals and should be treated as criminals. Unlike you, I do not give them a break just because of where they might have come from or because they might be of a particular ethnic group. Unlike you, I do not see a difference between a criminal who is illegal and one who is not.

We can cut down on all of those crimes you say you dislike by kicking out illegals, yet you are not in favor of kicking out illegals. Then you wonder why people accuse of supporting killers and child rapists.

Liberals hate America. I suppose you are too young to remember the 1960’s where liberals went on the rampage and made it very clear where they stand on patriotism and love for America. Do you remember that well known liberal Jane Fonda hanging out with the Commies in Vietnam?

Liberals love to blame America for all of the problems of the World. They love to bash America, yet don’t have a word when it comes to tackling the real issues and villains of the World like socialism and Communism and Third World despots. As I posted earlier, why don’t you move to Cuba and announce you do not agree with you new Government? Or better yet, move to Red China and do the same. Of course you would end up in jail. I do not agree with all of the political decisions of the Federal Government such as not enforcing immigration laws, passing tax increases etc, but at least I know I do it not from a hatred of or for my Country.

Tyler,

I have always heard, love the sinner, not the sin, I suppose both can be used, but it might be better to use abomination.

72. El Guapo said on 3 Aug 2008 at 5:28 pm:

I love sweeping generalizations. Illegals are killers and child rapists based on the actions of but a few. Jane Fonda pow wows with Ho Chi Minh and all liberals are condemned by the actions of one. I especially like how the actions of people 40 years ago are used to make generalizations about people today.

I could do the same thing: “A few white people were slave owners, therefore all white people are bad.” “A few black guys commit crimes, therefore all black guys are criminals.”

The sad thing is that most people understand the fallacy.

73. CitizenofManassas said on 3 Aug 2008 at 6:37 pm:

El Guapo,

You miss the point. Illegals, not a single one, should be in this Country. A crime committed by an illegal is one too many. People who support illegals support everyone of them when they want to reward them with amnesty or some other stupid idea to keep them here. By supporting illegals, they encourage more illegals to come here. The only generalization is done by those that support illegals who love to say illegals are hard working, are only here to support families, etc. Therefore, people who support illegals support child rapists and killers.

Do you ever wonder why Libs have such a poor outlook on the Country and say the Country is on the wrong track?

74. Diversity Gal said on 3 Aug 2008 at 6:57 pm:

CitizenofManassas,

Your sense of logic is quite interesting…

75. CitizenofManassas said on 3 Aug 2008 at 7:58 pm:

Diversitygal

How is that? I would say it is your logic that needs to be questioned, since you seem to be fine with certain criminals and crimes.

76. El Guapo said on 3 Aug 2008 at 8:06 pm:

Never mind that all the proposals for amnesty specifically exclude those individuals who are guilty of serious crimes.

77. CitizenofManassas said on 3 Aug 2008 at 9:03 pm:

El Guapo,

Think again. The amnesty bill that was defeated in 1996 would have allowed even felons to obtain Citizenship. Besides, given that illegals use and or steal multiple identities can we really be sure exactly which illegals have not committed “serious” crimes?

But, I will play along, exactly what do you consider serious crimes?

78. CitizenofManassas said on 3 Aug 2008 at 9:10 pm:

Sorry, that should be 2006.

Here is a bit of a story from the NY Times that states the Dems did not want to add an amendment to the bill that would have excluded felons.

But as the day wore on, tensions began to rise as Republicans insisted that the Democrats allow a vote on several of their amendments.

One amendment would have required the Department of Homeland Security to certify that the border was secure before creating a guest worker program or granting legal status to illegal immigrants. Another would have had the legalization program bar illegal immigrants who had deportation orders or had been convicted of a felony or three misdemeanors. Democratic critics of the proposals said they were intended to ensure that the legalization process would never be implemented.

79. El Guapo said on 4 Aug 2008 at 5:41 am:

FYI: The 2006 bill provided that an alien was ineligible for adjustment if he had been convicted of a felony or three or more misdemeanors. DUI conviction was considered a felony under the bill regardless of what state the offense was in.

80. CitizenofManassas said on 4 Aug 2008 at 2:55 pm:

El Guapo,

Sorry, you are wrong, as Stated in the NY Times article, the Dems blocked the GOP attempts to have amendments added to the bill. In the words of the Dems at the time, if those amendments were added, it would cut down on the number of illegals who would be granted Citizenship.

81. El Guapo said on 4 Aug 2008 at 6:24 pm:

It’s frustrating dealing with the uninformed. I mean you have the bill right in front of you with the disputed provisions staring back at you, the provisions that were in the original bill. Then you have some libidiot talking about a ficticious amendment saying that the New York Slimes said the Dems blocked.

It’s one thing to have differences on opinions. But you just can’t have a discussion with anti-immigrant fanatics who are uninformed.

82. CitizenofManassas said on 4 Aug 2008 at 8:25 pm:

El Guapo,

Sorry, but stop trying to avoid the issue at hand. You support criminals, including child rapists and killers. I’d say the only one that is uninformed is you. How you can live with yourself is beyond me. Tell me if you had a relative that was a victim of an illegal alien crime, would you support them? If not, you are a hypocrite.

The Bill clearly would provide amnesty for even felons.

Here is an article from the Washington Times that again states the Dems did not want to consider a GOP supported amendment that would strike felons from the amnesty. The part about the amendment is just about at the end of the article.

So again, please do tell us again how a person who supports child rapists and killers is right about anything?

83. El Guapo said on 4 Aug 2008 at 9:06 pm:

THE PROVISION WAS IN THE BILL. I’ve seen the bill. I read the bill. It was in there, and I never once ever made any statement in favor of amnesty or illegal aliens. Add false accusations to the many outrageously stupid comments you’ve made.

84. El Guapo said on 4 Aug 2008 at 9:07 pm:

Just a few clicks of a mouse, and you can read the damn bill yourself. Yet rather than educating yourself and becomming informed on the issues, you chose to wallow in ignorance. Pathetic!

85. CitizenofManassas said on 4 Aug 2008 at 10:24 pm:

El Guapo,

I have educated myself. Why would two newspapers one on the left and one on the right report the same thing? Maybe because it is the truth.

Let me get this straight, you support criminals, and you want to call me ignorant, now that really is pathetic.

86. CitizenofManassas said on 4 Aug 2008 at 10:28 pm:

El Guapo,

If I have misstated your opinions on illegals I apologize. Maybe you can share them with me, and that way I will not misstate them in the future.

87. El Guapo said on 5 Aug 2008 at 5:46 am:

Some people just believe what the MSM tells them. Some people verify the facts for themselves. What can I say? TO each his own.

88. citizenofManassas said on 5 Aug 2008 at 2:49 pm:

El Guapo,

If you do not want people to misstate your views on illegal immigration, why don’t you share them. Otherwise, don’t get upset if someone calls you a criminal supporter.

89. El Guapo said on 5 Aug 2008 at 7:42 pm:

Don’t you think it’s utterly stupid for someone to say that I support criminals, including child rapists and murderers, because of my views on illegal immigration when they have no clue what my views are? I mean come on. Isn’t that ignorant?

90. CitizenofManassas said on 6 Aug 2008 at 4:36 pm:

El Guapo,

Are you a politician? If not you sould be. You just can’t answer a very simple question. I suppose the truth hurts.

As I have pointed out, if one supports illegal aliens, they support child rapists and killers. By supporting illegals, you condone the behavior of illegals and encourage them to not only stay here, but encourage even more to come here. You can’t pick and choose which illegals to support and which ones to not support if you are not willing to follow the law and have them all kicked out.

91. El Guapo said on 6 Aug 2008 at 7:28 pm:

What about black people? Don’t some black guys rape and murder people? If I support rights for black people, don’t I then support rapists and murderers? Of course not. It’s perfectly possible to be in support of black people in general while at the same time wishing that rapists and murderers be removed from society.

People weren’t made for the laws. The laws were made for the people. Those of us who walk upright understand this. A lot of people believe that our immigration laws are not as effective as they could be and wish to change said laws. They support giving some illegal immigrants some sort of path to legal status because they believe that would benefit society as a whole. At the same time they wish that rapists and murderers (be they black, white, Chinese, legal or illegal) to be removed from society.

You suggest that supporting illegal aliens constitutes supporting child rapists and killers. You’ve only fooling yourself. I don’t think many other people are that stupid.

92. CitizenofManassas said on 6 Aug 2008 at 10:26 pm:

El Guapo,

The only stupid people are the ones who support child rapists and killers. The only people who support illegals are stupid enough to think there is some redeeming value to people who are too stupid to follow the rules. Though, I suppose it takes a stupid person to know a stupid person. Of course anyone who supports child rapists and killers surely does not walk upright. Talk about fooling.

Exactly how can you tell an illegal has not committed a rape or murder? Do you have some special power? Do you think illegals will freely admit to such crimes? Talk about stupid, lets trust people who have broken a number of laws. Yup, that is walking upright and using your “brain”.

Exactly where would you draw the line at providing amnesty to illegals? Would those that engage in tax and Id fraud qualify? Would that that have committed property crimes get a free pass from you?