Gerry Connolly’s Fairfax County

By Greg L | 5 August 2008 | Fairfax County, Illegal Aliens, US Congress | 102 Comments

$150 million in taxpayer dollars used to support the unlawful presence of illegal aliens, crime is up 22% while declining 19% in a neighboring jurisdiction.   Meanwhile some residents are being told that there’s not enough money for a new school.  This is Gerry Connolly’s Fairfax County, as VA GOP Caucus reports, where the reaction to all of this is not to ride the County Supervisor out on a rail, but to run this guy for Congress.  Yeah, let’s give this guy more responsibility now that he’s failed Fairfax County so miserably.

If Gerry Connolly can’t even tolerate hearing about the problem of illegal aliens in open board sessions, just imagine how attentive he will be towards constituent concerns when either McCain or Obama proposes the next round of amnesty for illegal aliens.

1. A Reader said on 6 Aug 2008 at 12:21 am:

Fairfax, wake up! Roll up the welcome mat.

2. Ducky said on 6 Aug 2008 at 1:23 am:

Greg L: …just imagine how attentive he will be towards constituent concerns when either McCain or Obama proposes the next round of amnesty for illegal aliens

As a matter of fact, both McCain and Obama did quite well in Fairfax County in the Virginia primaries last spring.

3. anon said on 6 Aug 2008 at 6:25 am:

Fairfax won’t wake up until people are killed. There is still too much money there to worry about little things like tagging, overcrowded homes, livestock in the yards, drunk drivers (until the above happens enough), etc.

4. Brian L. said on 6 Aug 2008 at 7:11 am:

Tee hee! Nice to see my patented headline going to good use here! ;)

(Keep up the awesome work, Greg!)

Regards,
    Brian

5. BattleCat said on 6 Aug 2008 at 7:44 am:

I’m more than happy to provide Senior Connolly with all the illegal immigrants he and his constituents can eat! I think it’s time to concentrate on what’s next. I’m thinking making English the official language in PWC and saving more money! Use the savings to put cameras in police cars. I heard Connolly wants to pick up the tab for those services for all his favorite constituents.

6. KP said on 6 Aug 2008 at 9:03 am:

Government invites illegal immigrants to turn themselves in, but offer draws few takers.

I noticed in this article that if this works (and who in their right mind would leave the “Gravy Train”) to self deport looks like a failure from the get-go and I would doubt that Fairfax County would even try.

7. Arlington Minority said on 6 Aug 2008 at 9:06 am:

Connolly will certainly fit into Empress Pelosi’s circle of those who disdain the little people who work for a living and have to pay premiums for Congressional inaction.

8. Ron said on 6 Aug 2008 at 9:44 am:

Apparently, the Mantua community does not have its fair share of illegals in overcrowded houses.

9. /\/\3|)iç 64 (Winner of the BVBL 40k and 50k post award) said on 6 Aug 2008 at 11:40 am:

When are we going to wake up?

10. Johnson said on 6 Aug 2008 at 11:56 am:

Medic-
    That stuff looks pretty raggedy. Let’s get the fence built, post Nat’l Guard troops and ship them NEW weapons to kill each other with. When they have a clear winner, we’ll decriminalize drugs!

I grew up in FFX Co., in Falls Church. I left in 1988 for Manassas, as I could not afford to live there anymore. It was a very diverse community with people from many different countries. The Vietnamese gangs are still a problem, along with the central americans. The voters deserve what they ask for. It will be interesting to see how tolerant they are after absorbing PWC’s runoff.

11. TDB said on 6 Aug 2008 at 12:48 pm:

There’s an old saying in the corporate world, which pertains to Mr. Connelly: F@#k up, move up!!!

12. Howard the Duck said on 6 Aug 2008 at 12:49 pm:

I am a long time resident of ffxco, and here is my take on this.

You folks in PWC have some roots in your community, Fairfax residents consider themselves transients. They plan to only live there a few years. They don’t like the area and they call home somewhere else. I don’t know of a bond meaure that has not passed. Simple. They don’t plan to stick around to pay for it.

I would love to be proven wrong but that is how I see it. They have no interest in wether it gets better.

13. Mando said on 6 Aug 2008 at 1:09 pm:

@ Medic

You think that’s bad? Check this out:

14. Johnson said on 6 Aug 2008 at 1:45 pm:

Mando-
    Happens a lot. What goes on at the southern border is outrageous. It’s amazing that there hasn’t been a full-blown fire fight. Our guys are taught to observe if possible and not to engage. This is a prime reason that I support decriminalization of drugs. Too much money and violence.

15. me-n-u said on 6 Aug 2008 at 2:03 pm:

And we’re going to help them cross the border. This country has gone NUTS!!!!!!!!!
    SAN DIEGO—The agency that is lining a border waterway with concrete agreed Tuesday to consider adding ladders and buoys to prevent migrants from drowning when they cross illegally from Mexico into Southern California.

16. me-n-u said on 6 Aug 2008 at 2:05 pm:

I guess this is the new millennium Welcome Wagon.

17. Arlington Minority said on 6 Aug 2008 at 2:21 pm:

This can’t be half as bad as aiding and abetting the escape of known illegal alien drug dealers as SF Mayor Gavin Newsom appears to have pulled off without a proper paper trail.

18. IllegalisILLEGAL said on 6 Aug 2008 at 2:30 pm:

California should secede and become a part of Mexico. They want to protect and cater to illegals, let them at mexico’s expense!

19. Howard the Duck said on 6 Aug 2008 at 3:14 pm:

Except for SOS, I gave up on California. In exchange about illegal aliens, I was told by one CA resident: The fence is really about keeping the kooks in.

20. Arlington Minority said on 6 Aug 2008 at 3:56 pm:

Then, perhaps Fairfax County merits a fence…

21. DeMann said on 6 Aug 2008 at 7:01 pm:

Let us not forget the total magniture of some of these politicians that DON’T support their constituents views. Earlier in the chain Connolly is associated with Pelosi’s inner circle, but also (what if) Kaine becomes a VP candidate. I feel that Kaine has been just as supportive against illegal aliens as Connolly has been…..meaning that both want to do nothing, which is against the view of the majority. As long as Connolly, and Kaine, are able to advance their careers, that is the only objective that they will work to…definitely not what the constituents want.

I guess that this will mean more:
    1) Gang activity such as MS-13 (and the other) that make citizens uncomfortable due to the crimes that these gangs comitt..
    2) Depressed (more than that caused by the economy) due to illegal overcrowding of residences, lawns that are not kept up, roosters in the backyard (I have personnally experienced that one), loud south of the border music and lack of structure upkeep.
    3) Day Labors wandering the streets that put our kids at risk. They have been chronicled as loitering and drinking (and releiving themselves) on our streets. Is this what we want in our communities.
    4) The deterioration of English as our language. When I go to stores, here in Herndon, I find it difficult to find a sales representative that can help me. I am not sure how all of these employees can not speak English yet they can be legal.
    5) Monopolize our Hospitals Emergency rooms. On those few occassions where myself (or family member) has had to use the Reston Hospital there is always many hispanics ahead of me for minor illnesses. As they do not have health insurance, they have to use our Emergency rooms as they can not be turned away.
    5) Use of my taxes to pay for social services and education for the illegals and there “born in the USA” children. They have played the game to cross the border and use our hospitals to be born in the USA so that they can further use all the benefits that us tax payers are providing.

I could go on and on, but it doesn’t seem that Connolly and Kaine will do anything no matter what the majority wants.

22. NoVA Scout said on 6 Aug 2008 at 7:38 pm:

I’ve lived in Fairfax County for several decades and I want to assure you folks that we’re not really at risk here. We have these things called laws. It’s against the law to drive drunk; we have housing codes governing occupancy limits, we have litter laws, we don’t allow public drunkenness or boisterous public conduct, Littering, murder, rape, robbery are all on our naughty list. So, as long as we enforce these not all too oppressive standards that we’ve had for years, we won’t experience any of the problems you are so concerned about.

Ah, but I hear you say that we need new laws that make it super-duper illegal for illegals to do these illegal things. Nah. Nobody can do these things in Fairfax. We just don’t allow it. We’ve watched PW turn itself inside out trying to think it’s way out of what is really a very simple problem at great cost. We’ve watched you get flim-flammed by pols. We’ve watched you waste public funds at a time when public monies are scarce. We’ve watched you run down your own community in an effort to make the problem seem greater than it is.

We’re going to be OK. But thanks for the concern. We’ve been a little concerned about you folks, frankly.

23. junes_reston said on 6 Aug 2008 at 9:18 pm:

But NoVaScout, can we afford to be the depository for all the illegal aliens who migrate from surrounding communities that say ENOUGH?

According to studies by CIS and UVa, VA has between 500,000 and 700,000 illegal aliens, 25% of whom live in Connolly’s Sanctuary County. So you don’t have to hunt down your abacus thats 125,000 - 175,000 illegal aliens in Fairfax County, and that number is growing every day.

Even if they were all good little sheep, walking or bicycling to the County Outreach Centers to apply for subsidies and collect their checks, and never committed a violent crime, the problem would still be greater than you would like it to seem.

When you live with your head in the sand, it’s easy to say, “We’re going to be OK. But thanks for the concern.”

If you are going to spout such nonsense, then perhaps I could encourage you to join us in developing the 2010 Budget so you can see just where our tax dollar are really going, and how much of the General Fund allocation is directed to programs for illegal aliens, that would not “slip through” if they were regular line items.

Let’s start with the $1.7M price tag for Kaiser Health Cards (no co-Pay) for illegal aliens. The intent was to appease all the citizens who were really ticked off about the illegals using the ERs as their Primary Care Facility. The ERs are still crowded and we are paying higher taxes to continue funding the illegal aliens’ perceived entitlements.

I didn’t realize how bad it really was until I was at the Fair Oaks facility one afternoon and only two of us in the waiting room were Americans. Ironically, the other American was an American Indian. In a little off-handed humor, he looked at me and said, “I’m used to being screwed by the White Man, but it looks like they’v taken it to a whole new level.”

I’m no longer with Kaiser and my blood pressure is much better now. I also got to see first hand why the Democrat’s version of “national health care” might look like, and I don’t like it.

24. NoVA Scout said on 6 Aug 2008 at 10:12 pm:

Were these folks wearing signs or something that identified their nationality? I can’t tell an American from a non-American on sight.

25. CitizenofManassas said on 6 Aug 2008 at 10:17 pm:

Nova,

It is also against the law to be in the Country illegally and to work in the Country without authorization. So, you want illegals to drive drunk and then get caught by the police? These criminals do not care about laws, if they did they would not have come here illegally. Though, since you support child rapists and killers, I suppose it is not a shock to see that you care very little about the public safety.

PW County cracks down on criminals, all criminals, and does not care about being PC or about how you supporters of child rapists and killers care. The fact is that Fairfax County is the County wasting money on illegals.

Fairfax used to be a nice County, before supporters of child rapists and killers were put in charge.

The fact you think child rapists and killers, just two crimes that happened in PW County last year, in your opinion are small. What exactly in your opinion should the County do with those types of illegals? I know what you would do with those hard working child rapists, you would employ them(you must already, given you defense of them in the first place) and provide them with Citizenship.

26. CitizenofManassas said on 6 Aug 2008 at 10:37 pm:

Here is an illegal criminal who is hard working and is supported by more than a few on this blog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QICLyzsvtgI

I guess the only thing he did wrong was to not attempt this in Fairfax County where he would have received support.

27. monticup said on 6 Aug 2008 at 11:14 pm:

NoVa Scout: If you can’t tell an American from a non-American (illegal alien) you cannot be very bright, no offense.

Have you tried calling the Fairfax County Offices? Phones answered by Mexicans.

28. MdMan said on 6 Aug 2008 at 11:25 pm:

I wrote the McCain campaign about a month ago saying that I would not vote for him becasue he favors amnesty. Here is the form letter response.

Thank you for contacting me regarding border security. I appreciate knowing your views.

As you probably know, the Secure Fence Act of 2006, P.L. 109-367, directs the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to provide and install 700 miles of reinforced fencing along our southern border. I voted for the Secure Fence Act, which passed the Senate by a vote of 80-19 on September 29, 2006. It was signed into law on October 26, 2006. According to the DHS Secretary, the fencing initiative is scheduled to be completed by October 2011.

We need to ensure the Department of Homeland Security has all the resources it needs for border security. That is why I have cosponsored amendments to the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations bill and the Department of Defense Appropriations bill that would add an additional $3 billion in emergency funding for border security. These amendments were included in the Fiscal Year 2008 Omnibus appropriations measure. This legislation, which provides $1.2 billion for border security fencing and $3 billion in emergency funding for border security, passed the full Senate on December 18, 2007. It was signed into law on December 26, 2007.

In addition to putting more assets along the border, we need to improve interior enforcement and put employers on notice that the practice of hiring illegal workers is unacceptable and that law breakers will be prosecuted. Let me be clear, I do not support amnesty. Both interior enforcement and border security are addressed extensively in S. 1984, the Immigration Enforcement and Border Security Act of 2007, which I joined Senators Kyl, Cornyn, Graham, Martinez, Sessions, and Specter in introducing on August 2, 2007. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Finance Committee.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other issue of interest to you.

Sincerely,

John McCain

United States Senator

JM/dba

29. Brian Leeper said on 7 Aug 2008 at 1:53 am:

“We have these things called laws.”

Which, if not enforced, aren’t worth the paper they’re written on.

30. junes_reston said on 7 Aug 2008 at 2:40 am:

NoVA Scout said on 6 Aug 2008 at 10:12 pm:

It’s not that you can’t tell a legal resident in specific situations NoVA Scout - it’s that you don’t WANT to. This is common among apologists.

In a Kaiser waiting room, the County makes it easy to tell who is in the County Health Care program and who is paying for the service themselves or through their employers.

Even though WIC requires a birth certificate and DMV document, in Fairfax County there is a “illegal worker” exception with assurances that the information is kept confidential. Not only is the illegal alien protected, so is the employer who completes the income verification form.

Fairfax County not only makes it easy for employers to knowingly hire illegal aliens without consequence, it bills the county tax payers for the benefits they don’t provide for their employees.

===============

Does this mean we shouldn’t count on you to help us build the 2010 budget?

31. legal2 said on 7 Aug 2008 at 6:18 am:

I’d always heard “as California goes, so goes the rest of the nation; they are about 10 years ahead of us.” Looks like ffx county wants to be the LA on the East Coast:

“By the way, just some fun facts for you here. It’s from the LA Times. 40% of all LA County workers, 40%. Remember Los Angeles County has 10.2 million people. 40% of all the workers in LA County are working for cash and not paying taxes. Sounds to me like somebody’s not paying their fair share. How do you, how do you hold LA County together when 40% of the people are not paying taxes? Oh, that’s right, you don’t. 95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens. 75% of the people on the most wanted list in Los Angeles are illegal aliens. Over two thirds of all births in Los Angeles county are to illegal alien Mexicans.”
    The above quote is from Glenn Beck’s program and website:

32. Not4Nothing said on 7 Aug 2008 at 6:26 am:

“I’ve lived in Fairfax County for several decades and I want to assure you folks that we’re not really at risk here. We have these things called laws. It’s against the law to drive drunk; we have housing codes governing occupancy limits, we have litter laws, we don’t allow public drunkenness or boisterous public conduct, Littering, murder, rape, robbery are all on our naughty list.”

Same with PWC.

“So, as long as we enforce these not all too oppressive standards that we’ve had for years, we won’t experience any of the problems you are so concerned about. ”

The only mistake that PWC made IMHO is waiting too long to institute its crack-down. I have always attributed this hesitancy to Manassas’s getting sued when it cracked down on over-crowded housing early on and this crack-down disproportionally affected largely new-comer Hispanics although the laws applied to EVERYBODY.

FC runs the same risk as PWC by waiting too long to take this threat seriously.

However, FC has one thing going for it that PWC didn’t as the illegal aliens move from PWC to FC: The housing bubble has burst. When things were heating up in PWC, the illegal aliens had an inflating housing bubble and lax lending standards going for them. A person I know lives along Hanover Ave in Springfield (FC), which was written about in the WP not long ago. All along her street are long vacant and foreclosed houses. In the areas she knows best, they are almost every one of them previously over-crowded houses. All over NoVA, the areas that were most affected by several families or 15+ singles crowding into a house built for a single family are the areas now with the most vacancies and foreclosures, whether or not they instituted a crack-down.

What FC has to worry about is its long acknowledged “great public schools”. Except in certain areas largely protected by gated communities and extremely high house prices (Great Falls and McLean come immediately to mind), these FC schools are going downhill, largely as a result of the influx of students quite different from the traditional FC students; and what’s more, FC knows it. That is why they are insisting on not testing ESL students in English after the time period has passed when they are supposed to be tested in English. FC has for many years been able to say that their high taxes and high housing costs are worth it because the schools are so good that you needn’t consider private school for your children. Unless you have the means to live in the most expensive neighborhoods, those days are coming to an end.

FC is going to be left with enormous costs in schools and social services and with a population unable or, in the case of the old-timers whose children are grown and gone, unwilling to pay the costs.

What then?

33. Mando said on 7 Aug 2008 at 8:28 am:

NoVA Scout said:

“Nah. Nobody can do these things in Fairfax. We just don’t allow it.”

I suppose that’s why the crime rate in Ffx county has gone up? Makes sense.

34. Rick Bentley said on 7 Aug 2008 at 9:21 am:

NoVA Scout, watch and learn. You’ll see how difficult it is to maintain basic standards of law and order when a large unassimilated population comes in all at once.

35. MdMan said on 7 Aug 2008 at 9:41 am:

Patriots - Sign the Judicial Watch “Sanctuary Busters” petition. Spread the word. JW is an awesome conservative group and I know them personally. They can definitely be trusted. Think of them as the anti-ACLU.

36. Arlington Minority said on 7 Aug 2008 at 11:22 am:

MdMan hits upon a thought worthy of reflection. The enemy is not the hordes of illegals who are practically invited to flaunt our laws by bureaucratic microbes like Connolly. Rather, it is the legal profession that populate anarchistic organizations like the ACLU and that populate liberal judgeships that see criminals as victims, whether or not they’re here legally. Judicial Watch is a shining exception among what has become a self-debased profession.

37. MdMan said on 7 Aug 2008 at 11:57 am:

This just in: Michelin Man refuses to over-inflate.

Barack Hussein Obama denounces the chubby little white guy’s actions in an attempt to distance himself from the controversial figure. The Obama camp denies that race played a part in his decision. Barry claims he never knew he was riding on Michelin tires because he has never checked the tire inflation himself; ‘had I known at the time, that uh…uh…I had Michelin tires on my Mercedes, then I would never have had…uh….that is I would have had them changed immediately….after all I’m all about…uh…change, you know?’

38. Johnson said on 7 Aug 2008 at 12:57 pm:

NoVA Scout-
    Thanks for the condescending tone. We poor, ignorant, unenlightened PWC residents got it.
    Frankly, we’re laughing at you. We could care less about FFX.
    As for your laws, ask Mr. Connolly how stridently they’ll be enforced. Watch your crime rates go up, your hospitals, jail and schools become even more crowded and your education budget increase. Hope you guys have deep pockets! Your new residents certainly won’t be picking up the tab!
    I saw signs in Irongate and Point of Woods, giving directions to Fairfax County in spanish.

Si, se puede!

(Instant apologies to anybody who was offended by this rant.)

39. anon143 said on 7 Aug 2008 at 1:23 pm:

(Instant apologies to anybody who was offended by this rant.)

No need to apologize. Fairfax residents will be changing their tune once this mess lands on their doorstep.
    I couldn’t agree more with your “rant”….

40. anonomus said on 7 Aug 2008 at 1:42 pm:

I found this very interesting. Maybe we should write to Tyson and let them know we won’t be buying any more of their product!

Muslim Holiday at Tyson Plant Creates Furor
    By Steven Greenhouse
    The New York Times, August 5, 2008

41. KP said on 7 Aug 2008 at 2:12 pm:

This thing about Kaiser is new to me. Anyone got a link I can look at? Been with Kaiser a long time and am concerned.

42. MdMan said on 7 Aug 2008 at 3:15 pm:

19 guys in a truck and not one could check the tire pressure? Where was the Messiah on this one…

43. cprofits said on 7 Aug 2008 at 4:03 pm:

NoVA Scout said:

‘I’ve lived in Fairfax County for several decades and I want to assure you folks that we’re not really at risk here…’

~I’ve lived in PWC for 43 years and I used to feel that way about my community.~

‘…We have these things called laws. It’s against the law to drive drunk; we have housing codes governing occupancy limits, we have litter laws, we don’t allow public drunkenness or boisterous public conduct, Littering, murder, rape, robbery are all on our naughty list…’

~Us too! Imagine our shock and horror to learn they don’t apply to everyone.~

‘…So, as long as we enforce these not all too oppressive standards that we’ve had for years, we won’t experience any of the problems you are so concerned about…’

LOL…Just wait, it’s so easy to spout opinions and answers about someone else’s problem. I’m so happy my problem is slowly but surely headed your way.

44. Howard the Duck said on 7 Aug 2008 at 4:33 pm:

NoVA Scout said on 6 Aug 2008 at 7:38 pm:

I am not sure you and I live in the same Fairfax County. I live in the one with Herndon (enough said) the Commerce Street - Backlick Road - Little River Turnpike Day Laborer Crescent. The one you step out your back door at two am and there is a total stranger next door having a cigarette. The one where grocery store cashiers pursue guys running off with a case of beer under each arm and they are too drunk to win a shoving match with a red blooded American woman cashier. The one with an illegal alien everywhere you look.

45. Groveton said on 7 Aug 2008 at 4:41 pm:

In 2005 Tim Kaine was elected governor of Virginia. State-wide, 44.96% of eligable voters voted in the November, 2005 election. In Fairfax, 44.77% voted. In Prince William, 35.66% of eligable voters bothered to vote. In fact, Prince William County had the worst voter turnout in the state:

Of the 134 jurisdictions in Virginia, Prince William County was dead last - #134. Perhaps you blowhards should consider shutting up about other areas until you can convince a decent percentage of your fellow citizens to bother to vote.

46. Anonymous said on 7 Aug 2008 at 4:46 pm:

I just listened to Chairman Connolly speak at a function yesterday morning where he touted that the Fairfax County crime rate is way down as he spoke of diversity and all of its benefits. Which is it: 22% up or way down like Gerry claims?

47. ladyxx said on 7 Aug 2008 at 4:48 pm:

MDMAN I signed the sanctuary city petition. Now where is the one for anchor babies??

48. MdMan said on 7 Aug 2008 at 5:16 pm:

Thanks my lady…and you’re right on about that.

49. Dave in PWC said on 7 Aug 2008 at 5:57 pm:

Groveton,

We are happy with PWC at the moment, we are not complaining, we are rubbing it in because of comments from bloggers in FFX saying things are not really bad in PWC, so we are just letting them experience what we did until our Mighty BOCS listened to the majority of the constituents and started doing what we asked them to do.

I’ve been participating on this blog for about 2 years and lurked for some time before that so I know and remember all the FFX people saying we were overblowing things. Get some time on the pond before calling people names.

50. junes_reston said on 7 Aug 2008 at 6:32 pm:

KP said on 7 Aug 2008 at 2:12 pm:
    This thing about Kaiser is new to me. Anyone got a link I can look at? Been with Kaiser a long time and am concerned……….

About two years ago, Kaiser and Fairfax County “partnered” to cast a health care safety net over families living below the poverty level in the County - only proof of residency and income are required (utility bill, lease etc. and pay stub or WIC back up documents)

The state program casts a larger net to the tune of $17M annually.

Illegal aliens can not enroll in private health care insurance nor are they eligible for non-emergency medicare because citizenship is a requirement. Fairfax County removed that obstacle by playing subcontractor, authorizing all “county enrolled” members in Kaiser, thus transferring them from the ERs to the Kaiser facilities.

Illegal alien enrollment is much like many of the other County services provided - documents are not verified because, as one supervisor said, “the documents look very real and the illegal aliens have very good attorneys.”

The County will not even consider E-Verify for it’s agencies even though it is a reliable tool and when used consistently virtually eliminates the risk of discrimination law suits.

Another thing that many people didn’t know …. even if illegal alien parents have American Citizen babies, this does not mean the children automatically qualify for benefits. In many areas of the country, an illegal alien may not apply for the services on behalf of their citizen child - the application must be filed by a court or county appointed child advocate ….. EXCEPT in Fairfax County, where documents of any kind are accepted and if none are available or will be rejected, they are waived.

Fairfax County has between 125,000 and 175,000 illegal aliens living and working (and breeding). Most moved to America to work and send money home to their families so they can have a better life. What has happened though is these same illegal aliens have abandoned their families back home and started new ones here - neither of which they can afford to feed, clothe and shelter without our tax dollars subsidizing their lifestyles.

It will take a while but I think Fairfax County will also get fed up with illegal aliens standing at every agency door with their hands out, demanding their perceived entitlements. Until Fairfax County voters say ENOUGH, the agencies will continue to fill up their hands and welcome them back for more.

51. CitizenofManassas said on 7 Aug 2008 at 6:50 pm:

You are right. However, the good folks don’t realize by voting in the libs, they will never see a change of policy. They need to vote in Republicans who for the most part are not pro-criminal.

52. junes_reston said on 7 Aug 2008 at 7:06 pm:

Citizen, you’re preaching to the choir.

During the last elections some of the people in Herndon (behind the Giant on Elden Street) actually believed Connolly was responsible for closing the day labor center …. and unfortunately voted for him thinking he was going to clean up the rest of the county.

They wouldn’t listen to anyone who said otherwise and now are wishing they had.

53. CitizenofManassas said on 7 Aug 2008 at 8:05 pm:

I bet they are.

54. ladyxx said on 7 Aug 2008 at 8:40 pm:

“MdMan said on 7 Aug 2008 at 5:16 pm:
    Thanks my lady…and you’re right on about that.”

Ok I can’t find a petition site anywhere. How do we set one up. Grassfire.org has tremendous success with their petitions.

I have time to devote. Any suggestions??

55. NoVA Scout said on 7 Aug 2008 at 9:44 pm:

Howard: Not sure that there are any local ordinances against strangers smoking cigarettes (although it’s getting pretty hard for friends or strangers to find places to smoke cigarettes), so you may have me on that one. However, in the part of FFX where I live, it’s illegal to run out of stores with stolen cases of beer. If there’s some exception where you live, I’d speak with your Supervisor about it. Can’t imagine why there would be pockets in the County where that would be exempt. And I never can tell the illegal aliens from the legal ones (or the native born citizens, for that matter) by looking at them.

56. Red Dawn said on 7 Aug 2008 at 10:06 pm:

I guess we are lucky we don’t live in the UK as far as smoking :)

57. Red Dawn said on 7 Aug 2008 at 10:07 pm:

forgot link

58. junes_reston said on 8 Aug 2008 at 1:23 am:

Great Falls or areas of Mclean where illegals (and most of Middle Class legal Americans) are not welcome might be the exception. With 125,000 - 175,000 illegal aliens in the County, there are very few areas where they have not “left their mark.”

Even Reston is affected by illegal aliens, though I must admit they do tend to keep a very low profile (in most areas) as HOAs are empowered to take action before it gets out of hand - and many do

NoVa Scout, either you live in an area of the county where illegals come in to work during daylight hours, and expected to return to their hovels elsewhere in the count by sunset …or you have your head in the sand.

59. Brian Leeper said on 8 Aug 2008 at 1:51 am:

“Of the 134 jurisdictions in Virginia, Prince William County was dead last - #134.”

Nope. That honor goes to Manassas Park, I’m sorry to say.

60. Brian Leeper said on 8 Aug 2008 at 1:53 am:

The raw data. I just copied it into Openoffice Calc and sorted by voter turnout, descending.

Prince William County 188045 -87 187958 2458 64562 67020 35.66%
    Manassas Park City 5276 -2 5274 87 1351 1438 27.27%

61. junes_reston said on 8 Aug 2008 at 6:31 am:

Brian, it looks like we (in Northern VA) who take our right to vote seriously have to work harder to convince others of the same.

When South Africa dismantled Aparthaid and everyone was allowed to vote, the line of voters stretched as far as the eye could see. I was proud for the people of South Africa, but felt a little dispirited knowing that Americans have such a great right and they throw it away for such trivial reasons.

You can bet your life the apologists will be working overtime to get elegible Latino voters out to vote for candidates who support back door amnesty. There is nothing that get people to the polls better than a threat of lifestyle change. Latino voters will be lined up at the polls because they are convinced Republican voters will support candidates who will send their illegal family members and friends home, with no hope of every returning.

That’s a powerful incentive for 15% of the voters to get out and vote.

If we don’t come up with an equally powerful incentive to get the “couch sitters” to the polls, we should not be at all surprised if the new Congress’ first order of business is to grant back door amnesty to some 12-20 million illegal aliens …. with numerous adverse side effects.

I may not like some of the Republicans running for office, but I will vote for them, because I know - at the very least - they will keep a give away immigration reform bill in limbo for another years.

62. NoVA Scout said on 8 Aug 2008 at 7:03 am:

I’m sure, Junes, that there are non-trivial numbers of illegal aliens all over Fairfax County. I may have seen many of them, although I don’t know an illegal from a legal on sight. My point is that the vast majority of folks who comment here describe their complaints about illegals as relating to murder, rape, public drunkenness, public urination, over-crowded housing, drunk or reckless driving, public urination, smoking cigarettes at 2:00am (that was a new one for me, but it’s there), larceny, poor yard care habits, speaking languages other than English and disparate views about suitable species of house pets. Unlike PWC, which convinced itself that it required some extremely poorly thought-through legislation to address these issues, in Fairfax all of those activities (save speaking Spanish and smoking cigarettes at 2:00am) are illegal and not permitted. That’s how we deal with it. I think that’s a sensible public policy choice. That there are large numbers of illegals in the United States is a federal failure and the feds have to clean it up. Supporting comprehensive federal immigration reform is a good start. Argue all you want in a federal context about what that reform should consist of, but until you move this discussion to the federal level, you’re just shoving the symptoms of the problem around in little patches on the map.

63. KP said on 8 Aug 2008 at 8:49 am:

junes_reston said on 7 Aug 2008 at 6:32 pm:

KP said on 7 Aug 2008 at 2:12 pm:

Thanks for the info. Now I know why it takes 2+ months to get an appointment to have anything done.

Wouldn’t that be a great place for ICE to collect up the illegals? If they require medical attention, then maybe Kaiser would be a good place to set up a deportation center. Who cares if they are sick. Let them be sick in their own country and be taken care of their own crappy medical systems.

64. Johnson said on 8 Aug 2008 at 10:43 am:

NoVa Scout is an apologist.

I am activating the “IGNORE” button.

65. Anonymous said on 8 Aug 2008 at 12:22 pm:

NoVA Scout said on 8 Aug 2008 at 7:03 am:

Argue all you want in a federal context about what that reform should consist of, but until you move this discussion to the federal level, you’re just shoving the symptoms of the problem around in little patches on the map……

And we both know that is NOT going to happen until people at the local levels embarrass enough peole at the Federal level.

You have star dust in your eyes and it’s obscuring your vision. The first rule of politics, once you’re elected, is to get yourself re-elected. Legislation that you promised on the Campaign Trail is a fairy tale.

NO Federal Politician who wants to get re-elected will go out on a limb about the abuses of illegal alien (i.e. do their job) if there is even an ioto of a chance it may come back and bite him in the next election.

When the fire is hot enough, our do nothing Congress will feel the heat on the Hill and do something. The fire starts with little twigs and starter (i.e. at the local level). More twigs and logs are being tossed on the fire and its burning hotter every day.

As an aside: A high-Five to Texas - the state executed its second Latino foreign nation in less than a week.

66. CitizenofManassas said on 8 Aug 2008 at 12:40 pm:

Nova,

It is illegal to come to American as an illegal alien. It happens though, so your silly excuse that some how the child rapists and killers supporters in Fairfax, County including you handles the issue is complete BS.

Prince William made the right decision, regardless if your support for child rapists and killers, even your fellow supporter of child rapists and killers, the COMPOST, pointed out other local jurisdictions are now having to foot the bill to support these criminals since they have moved out of the PW County. Now, to me and others who do not support criminals see that as a good law that not only has decreased crime, but has in fact made it uncomfortable for criminals to live freely without fear. Which BTW, is a a good conservative value, to not tolerate criminals or criminal activities.

67. Howard the Duck said on 8 Aug 2008 at 2:17 pm:

At this point it’s nice to remember that Fairfax County was once called home by the greatest American who ever lived. Hope to visit Mount Vernon again soon.

68. Howard the Duck said on 8 Aug 2008 at 2:23 pm:

LOL. Well my comment about the guy smoking a cigarette has given a great deal of comfort to someone, which is fine with me. It’s all about that great feeling you get of living next to a flophouse (coming to a neighborhood near you soon) and all the lovely people coming and going.

69. Howard the Duck said on 8 Aug 2008 at 2:29 pm:

Folks, do you see that arguing with the open borders apologists is pointless? There are better things you can do to stop illegal aliens. After all that, what do we hear? Stop doing anything effective, do something ineffective, like wait for the federal government to do something. Do that, and your county will be in the shape of Maywood CA.

You know about Maywood, don’t you?

70. Bridget said on 8 Aug 2008 at 4:55 pm:

Scout … just who do you suppose is going to be enforce the laws and codes related to all that alien mischief in Fairfax? The Feds???? Hardy-har-har.

“Immigration Reform” is nothing more than code for “Quick! Let’s make crime and criminals legal before someone starts enforcing the immigration laws that have been on the books but ignored for years!” **ck “Reform”.

It’s enforcement we want.

Here ya go … What a concept. A couple of federal clowns who are calling for, of all things, a federal hands- off policy!!!:

71. NoVA Scout said on 9 Aug 2008 at 7:31 am:

No Bridget, we have an excellent county police force that does a very nice job of enforcing our laws governing littering and larceny etc. Not sure what the reliable stats are on “all that mischief” in Fairfax, but the best bang for the buck is to treat litter as litter, disorderly conduct as disorderly conduct, druni driving as drunk driving. If you get a criminal who’s here illegally, send him home after he’s done his time (I don’t trust the home country to enforce the punishment) and that’s that.

What is a federal responsibility is formulating and executing a sound immigration policy. That they have failed to do so is an exercise in cowardice, a cowardice that many commenters here have encouraged. I’m not prepared to pay for federal irresponsibility through my County property taxes or my state income tax. To do that is to just waste public funds fo that some opportunist local hack can scam folks who think with their adrenals.

CoM: A lot of stuff is illegal. Going 70 in a 65 mph zone is illegal, but it happens. When it happens routinely, good conservatives begin to wonder whether the governing law is serving its legitimate purpose. The federal immigration system is completely broken and the borders are not secure. The nations that will do well economically in the next decades are the ones that encourage free movement of labor, but do it in ways that protect sovereignty and security. Federal inaction on this is the real criminality here.

BTW, I distinctly recall telling you more than once, CoM, that I take the bold stand of opposing murder and child rape. So you can relax about that if your memory ever kicks in. If your opposition to my opininions is based on the idea that I’m a real fan of murder and rape, I think you’re in an unsustainable position. You might want to hone your arguments a bit before you go out inpublic with that kind of thing. People might begin to question your reasoning ability. BTW, a lot more of that sort of thing is committed by native-born American citizens than illegal immigrants, but I’m agin’ it no matter which category the perp falls in. I would suspect this is a fairly common view.

72. Bridget said on 9 Aug 2008 at 8:00 pm:

Best of luck with all that “treat litter as litter .. disorderly conduct as disorderly conduct” plan… been there, done that.

And my bet will be that in time you too will call the cops after you:

Find empty cases of beer and soiled baby diapers tossed in your front yard.

Come home from work to find unemployed day labor guys hiding in your back yard after they crap in your azalea bushes.

Accompany a tyke to your local playground only to find it unusable due to all the broken glass, used condoms and more dirty diapers strewn about.

Wake up to find your driveway and car blocked by a vehicle that belongs to one of the group homes on your street.

See an elderly vet gent step out of his home to gently explain to a group of “youths” why it’s considered bad form to blow up fireworks on Memorial Day - only to have said youth respond with “F**ck you, F***ing Old B**ch!”

Have a widow, who lives in the house her father built in 1920, the house she was born in and raised her family in be targeted for vandalism, then be told by the cops “That’s what you get for living in a Latino neighborhood”

But not to worry, soon enough your neighbors, even your police will be making you feel like an unwanted intruder in your own country.

73. NoVA Scout said on 10 Aug 2008 at 8:47 am:

Bridget - I’d be very quick to call the police for several of teh items you mentioned. I think you’re making my point for me.

74. CitizenofManassas said on 10 Aug 2008 at 2:10 pm:

Nova,

If you will recall, I said because you support illegal aliens, you condone the act of coming here illegally and all that goes with that illegal activitity. You can’t pick and choose and say you want only the good ones, because after all just how do you define a “good” criminal? So, while you are in denial about supporting child rapists and killers, you do in fact support them. After all, they could be one of those hard working illegals that you want to reward for breaking the law. The fact is that while we have plenty of crime here, I don’t see too many folks who are defending speeders and other criminals. I don’t see people complaining about the bank robber who is an otherwise hard working person that should be given a break.

Illegals do not belong here and they have broken the law, so they are never lawful and they are never not breaking the law. If they are driving, they are breaking the law. If they are working they are breaking the law. Tell me again how illegals do not commit more crime?

Nova, if we did not have elected officials and members of the public condoning and encouraging illegals to come here and stay, we would not have to worry about illegals committing any crimes. So, again you can talk about crime in general, but if we do not have illegals, we do not have to worry about them committing additional crimes. That is why what PW County did was so smart, they are not waiting to have to respond to another child rape or murder at the hands of an illegal before kicking the scum out of the County.

Howard,

Of course you are right. But it does good to just show how stupid and silly these criminals supporters really are.

75. Bridget said on 10 Aug 2008 at 5:55 pm:

Think you missed my point altogether, Scout …

Once upon a time I WAS quick to call the police regarding these and many other items that have occured not once, but many times over.

Trash in the yard - men urinating in the street - car horns and stereos blasting at all hours - used motor oil being poured onto the street - dogs left outside in all sorts of weather without food or shelter - illegal home-based businesses like backyard chop-shops and scrap-yard metal hauling…. For three years the house at the end of my block was used as a whorehouse - two large ladders permenantly proped up for customers to reach second story bedroom windows … the excuse given to cops and code inspectors? Window repairs!

After a point the police are exasperated by the calls - and make it clear that it’s useless and sometimes dangerous to call. I won’t go so far as to say the police are apathetic - but they get sick of repeat offenders -

In my many conversations with police, it boils down to who they are most interested in defending. The citizen who calls to report a disturbance or crime, or the miscreants who erode quality of life and citizen property rights. Police follow the instructions of their brass … and the brass dance to the tune of the politicians.

At some point, You will call the police and be regarded as the intolerant trouble maker. As the one with no rights - only obligations. As the repeat offender. You will have no safety, no sanctuary … but illegal aliens will.

Grasp if you can the concept of anarcho-tyranny.

Criminals are not confronted, controled or punished (which is why it’s anarchy) but the innocent are (which is why it’s tyrrany)

Of corruption: Your taxes pay for police to protect others from law enforcement.

Whe either have the rule of law, or we end up being ruled by the lawless.

76. Bridget said on 10 Aug 2008 at 6:56 pm:

of local jurisdictions pushing the immigration plate across the table declaring;

“NO, NO! Immigration is strictly a federal issue … immigration belong in the hands of the feds and feds alone!”

while at the same time enact their own little immigration amnesty/reform policies?

77. Bridget said on 10 Aug 2008 at 8:32 pm:

The REAL irony? Towns, cities, counties and states that reject granting sanctuary and services to illegal aliens are actually in compliance with federal immigration laws … and more so than the actual federal government!!!!

78. Not4Nothing said on 11 Aug 2008 at 7:03 am:

The unfortunate fact is that unless the police actually witness the actions described above about the only ones they can do much about are the ones where there is actual concrete evidence, such as the truck blocking the driveway, the chop-shop out back, or the dog chained in the yard. They aren’t going to test the dirty diaper or beer cans for DNA and do a house to house search of the neighborhood; and even if this were feasible, the person who tossed it in the yard could live miles away. Certainly the person calling the police is obviously being victimized, but even the most community-oriented police force will tire of being called out when the most they can do is lend a sympathetic ear.

The people who are doing all of the things that Bridget describes obviously see nothing wrong with living like that. The best bet for a community suffering from such abuses is to make itself as inhospitable as possible to the people who are perpetrating the abuses, which PWC, as well as other states, counties, and towns all over the US, is now doing. Will it end the abuses overnight? Of course not. The abuses didn’t spontaneously appear overnight, nor did those causing the abuses. It was a gradual process, taking years. But it will certainly lessen the abuses over time as the perpetrators leave PWC and head for more hospitable areas, such as FC.

Chances are that when FC reaches a critcal mass, it too will crack down because its citizens will insist upon it. Unfortunately, the problems will be worst in localized areas, far away from the gated communities like Great Falls and McLean - areas whose inhabitants are used to being heard IMMEDIATELY; and as Hanover Ave in Springfield shows, a great deal of damage will occur in the meantime.

As I mentioned above, PWC should have started cracking down years before they did. Then it would have had less of a mess to clean up.

Tolerating the intolerable is no virtue.

79. junes_reston said on 11 Aug 2008 at 7:16 am:

Bridget said on 10 Aug 2008 at 6:56 pm:
    Say, is it just me, or is anyone else out there struck with the blatant hypocrisy of local jurisdictions pushing the immigration plate across the table declaring ………

I contacted VA WIC to try better understand why Fairfax County is the only county that includes on it’s website WIC benefits and services available to “illegal workers.”

This is the response I received:

Currently Virginia’s WIC program does not discriminate between legal and illegal workers. Anyone applying to WIC that can not provide proof of income, needs to sign an affidavit for verification of income. For example workers that have a cash only income. Other social service programs are not set up the same way, and Congress and Virginia’s state government is looking to make changes in the near future to this current policy.

Consumer Liaison WIC Office
    804-864-7798

==========

Illegal aliens, who SAY they are illegal workers and paid in cash do not even have to provide verification of income. They need only sign an affidavit with an income amount that meets the requirements and it is accepted as fact.

It is interesting that anyone from any country, residing illegally in Virginia, can apply for and receive tax funded benefits and services by simply signing an affidavit to meet the requirement.

Keep in mind that American women with infants and children who make as little as $25/week more than the guidelines are denied WIC, while others are placed on a wait list.

As you said - wait for Congress to make changes, while Virgnia lets illegals clean out the coffers.

80. NoVA Scout said on 12 Aug 2008 at 8:01 am:

CoM: somehow you missed the point that I oppose illegal immigration. It isn’t that hard to find, but you do need to read slowly. It might help.

81. junes_reston said on 12 Aug 2008 at 8:43 pm:

Come on NoVA, you know you’re not opposed to illegal immigration. Everything you post says that loud and clear.

82. Bridget said on 12 Aug 2008 at 9:22 pm:

I don’t doubt that Scout is opposed to illegal immigration.

Advocates of open borders/unrestricted immigration make the same claim all the time.

83. CitizenofManassas said on 12 Aug 2008 at 10:10 pm:

Nova,

Here is what you wrote…. Notice that you would in fact reward law breaking by illegals, therefore, you support illegals since you would not punish them with existing law. Of course you did not answer exactly how you would figure out the “good” illegals from the bad ones. Do you consider stealing Ids or using fake ones as crimes? Do you consider working here, driving without licenses crimes?

NoVA Scout said on 3 Jul 2008 at 9:09 am:
    COM: Your mind seems to have teeth missing in the gearing. It whirs along OK for a bit and then breaks down. Where do you get this “hard working” criterion? Seems impossible to work with and I suspect it just reflects some misunderstanding you’ve picked up along the way. I don’t have any idea how you could base a system on how hard people work. I hardly work at all except in manic bursts and would probably get tossed, on that standard

Of course you deport criminals who are here illegally. That has always been the law and the policy, but the resources to do it have been lacking. I’m not against deportation of aliens who commit crimes when they’re here - no one’s against that (except perhaps the criminal who is being deported). I am against mass deportation of the millions of illegals who are here and contributing to the economy. If there were 20 or 30 of these folks, maybe you could manage, but the reality is that we’ve let this situation get completely out of control to the point where mass deportation would be a massive and historic moral, ethical and policy debacle for the United States at a time when our stock is at a pretty low ebb in any event. I don’t think decent Americans would want their country to be part of any such thing. I’d penalize them for the illegal entry and get them processed legally as quickly as possible. My primary objective would be to get rid of the underground economy and lifestyle and bring that out where you can see it. Virtually every other issue would resolve itself if that were done.

84. NoVA Scout said on 14 Aug 2008 at 12:30 am:

Sure I’d punish them, COM. My program (that you were kind enough to restate for our friends) involves penalties for entering without inspection as a condition of visa issuance. And, of course, I oppose illegal immigration.

You’ll not find me supporting illegal immigration. Thanks for fessing up on this.

85. Wolverine said on 14 Aug 2008 at 2:43 am:

NoVa Scout, we in Eastern Loudoun are having one Hell of a time with all these illegal aliens, many of whom decamped from Fairfax and moved in with us. We country folk still have not figured out how to handle all this. Since you seem to feel that Fairfax and its police department has and will have no problems with enforcing the law despite an influx from PWC, would y’all be so kind as to take some of our illegals back too? That would be so helpful to us. Oops, gotta break this off. One of those darned illegals is peeing on my front lawn! See ya later!

86. NoVA Scout said on 14 Aug 2008 at 7:29 am:

Just tell your cops to enforce your laws (I bet most of what’s illegal in Fairfax is illegal in Loudoun, too). You’ll be pleased with the results, I’m sure. By the way, what’ s happening there, Wolverine? If our policies are so illegal immigrant-welcoming, why are they fleeing (or decamping) in your direction?

87. Wolverine said on 14 Aug 2008 at 4:21 pm:

“Were” decamping for Loudoun, NoVa Scout. The attraction was jobs, mostly construction and allied services generated by massively increased development. Since the bulk of the invasion happened long before even Herndon got tough, it was certainly not a result of the pressure from law enforcement in Fairfax. In fact, by the time they got here, they appear to have become so used to breaking your laws that they just kept on rolling with their usual lifestyle.

Now that development has slowed and the economy is slumping, we are seeing an outflow, some back home but the bulk to other areas of NoVA and into Maryland. Unfortunately (and I say this as a cheerleader for both PWC and the right-thinking politicos now governing Herndon), I believe we are also getting just a bit of a counterflow from those directions. In truth, everything here seems to be in a state of flux because of the economy and the subprime mortgage crisis.

If I were a resident of Fairfax (excluding Herndon), I would be very worried about a return wave of these inveterate scofflaws to my territory. For some of them at least, it will be akin to returning “home” to Bailey’s XRoads or Seven Corners, et al, with their bad habits still intact and perhaps even finely honed by experience. Moreover, those who may have been tempted in the past to migrate to Loudoun will probably be staying right where they are — with you. For pure economic survival reasons, I think some areas of Fairfax may be in for a period of residential overcrowding like you have never seen before. What will you do with them then? And don’t think you can hide safely in “fortresses” the likes of Langley and McLean. Just ask the Loudouners who live in the new developments at Ashburn, where crime is much on the increase.

You are right in principle about one thing: the law. We in Loudoun had become so used to expecting that residents would obey the laws that our laws are now having trouble catching up to this hitherto unexperienced problem. I spent a lifetime tracking down bad guys. Now I am back on the street as a Neighborhood Watch activist working closely with law enforcement. This whole thing is beginning to remind me of an old carnival game in which gopher heads popped up out of a wide assortment of holes and your job was to hammer them back down as fast as you could. Many of these immigrants never take their law enforcement lessons to heart. They just look for new ways to evade us. It never seems to quit.

Most legal residents of Eastern Loudoun are currently blasting our Board of Supervisors and law enforcement for not getting much tougher on these scofflaws. And, in the end it comes down to one thing: the need for more public funds at a time when the county budget is already under duress. There is no denying that Fairfax is getting the outflow from PWC and probably from Loudoun as well at this point. The recent increase in your crime rate is not something that can be shoved under the rug. If I were you, I would expect soon a request from the Fairfax police department for a big jump in funding and personnel.

The equation is not so simple as: (1) Violation of the law; (2) Enforcement of the law; and (3) End of problem. The only way an illegal can survive in our place or yours is to break the laws regarding identification, drivers licenses, housing, etc. Moreover, in my experience some of them have moved beyond that to a point where they seem to break the laws just for the hell of it — a sort of in-your-face attitude. And each time you catch them, the result is a lesson learned and a scofflaw who gets just a little smarter at evading us. Finally, fewer jobs will surely mean an increase in survival crime. Trying to stop all that is not easy when you have a certain element in society claiming that this is just another immigration period entirely like that which brought your and my ancestors to this country. Nor is it easy for law enforcement to solve the problems within the limits of our current system of jurisprudence. In any case, good luck to you and yours. I certainly hope for your sake that you are right about the efficacy of Fairfax law enforcement. Your “quality of life” may depend on it. I’m trying as hard as I can to get my own back.

88. CitizenofManassas said on 14 Aug 2008 at 11:10 pm:

Nova,

You are really are not a good example for those that support child rapists and killers. You do like to have fun., I realize this is a joke to you, since after all, you must benefit directly from illegals. Do you hire them? Do you work for someone who hires them? Or, do you just like to hang out with child rapists and killers?

Otherwise, I really do not understand anyone who would support child rapists and killers(you did not answer how you would figure out the “good” criminals from the bad ones, so again you would just provide visas to all of them) Again, because you would reward law breaking, the law they broke is to be here, your solution would be to allow them to stay, in other words, you do support illegal immigration.

You keep going on about the police enforcing the law, yet you want to provide a break to illegals, again another sign that you support illegal immigration, otherwise, you would want the laws enforced against them, yet you want to reward them for law breaking. BTW, how is breaking the law and benefiting from it a conservative value?

Also, you do not want the PW County police to enforce the new immigration law, how does that much up with your statements supporting local law enforcement of laws?

89. NoVA Scout said on 14 Aug 2008 at 11:40 pm:

CoM: you really are going to have to find a way to talk about this without insisting that my position is based on enthusiastic support for child rape and murder. Do you really think that’s an effective forensic approach to this policy issue? How old are you? Do your parents know you’re doing this? When you get to high school, try to find a course or a club that emphasizes marshalling facts and applying principles to them in a way that builds a coherent argument. It may seem boring, but you’ll thank old Scout when you’re an adult and out in the real world.

I have been much more consistent than you and many others here that the laws should apply equally to everyone, whether citizens, legal immigrants or illegal immigrants. I’ve never advocated any rewards for law-breaking, but have advocated punishments. I explained several times (you’re thick, man) that I would only grant visas to those who have been fined and who do not have criminal records. (Of course you incorrectly contend that a criminal record would include uninspected entry. That’s convenient for you because it enables you to describe every illegal entrant as a “criminal.” But it’s not correct as a legal matter.)

The PW police have no “new immigration law to enforce.” Congress has failed to act for years and many of the commenters here opposed their last effort. Under the Constitution, a document I revere and you don’t, only the federal govenrment can make immigration law and policy. That isn’t opinion, That’s fact. That’s the law. That;s what conservatives try to uphold.

The PW police essentially do what every other jurisdiction in the area does. They arrests suspected violators of laws when arrest is warranted. When in custody, immigration status is checked. Despite all the hot air, I’m fairly sure that once all the election year dust settled, PW ended up doing pretty much what everyone else does. You guys just wasted a lot more money to come to that point than we did and talked a lot louder along the way.

I don’t hire illegal aliens. I have my own business so I would know. I benefit from them the same way you do - through their contributions to the overall national economy. We all benefit in that regard, I no more than you. Despite their contribution, I have been a strong advocate for ending the influx of illegals because of the harm I see from an underground economy. Many of the reasons that illegal immigration has benefitted the economy are negatives in the long run: exploitation of laborers, payments of taxes that are never recovered because of false names and social security numbers, unreported intra-community crime, etc.

Oooops. Gotta go. My nightly cabal of child rapists and murderers is waiting for me to bring the chips and dip.

90. CitizenofManassas said on 15 Aug 2008 at 10:15 am:

Nova,

Don’t call me “thick” when you are the one that wants to reward law breakers. Again, exactly how would you be able to tell the “good” ones from the bad ones? Exactly how can you trust people who have broken numerous laws? Of course you do not want to consider illegal entry a crime, or working here, or driving without a license, or stealing id, or using fake ids, because you realize you stance in defending child rapists and killers is not a popular stance. Therefore, you bob and weave all over the place. You are like Kerry, I voted for it before I voted against it. You want to reward law breaking, which in fact encourages more law breaking( more folks will come here illegally hoping to catch the next amnesty, rather then play by the rules), yet you say you are not in favor of illegal immigration. You sound like Clinton, it depends on what “is” means.

My God boy, get your back bone in order and just come out and say you are proud to support child rapists and killers.

BTW, I’m old enough to know right from wrong, which is something you clearly are not old enough to understand or simply have discarded.

What PW County has done is more then Fairfax County has done. Does Fairfax have an agreement with ICE? Nope. Has Fairfax taken a stance against illegals? Nope. Has Fairfax said it would go after illegals? Nope. In fact, Fairfax has done the opposite, they have put the welcome mat out for illegals. So, don’t attempt to say what PW has done is like other jurisdictions.

91. Bridget said on 15 Aug 2008 at 12:20 pm:

As someone on another blog wrote:

“Claiming that illegal aliens are a benefit to our nation is like claiming that termites add to the structural integrity of a wood-frame house.”

92. anonymous said on 15 Aug 2008 at 3:45 pm:

CitizenofManassas, in his own words NOVA is engaging in “beehive kicking”. There’s another term for that, called “trolling”.

“Since JAB has honored this site with his august presence, I’ll depart from my usual entertainment of beehive kicking and chime in.”

93. CitizenofManassas said on 15 Aug 2008 at 4:07 pm:

Anon,

Oh I know. It still is fun poking holes in his defense and as I have posted in the past those that defend criminals all look pretty stupid when they avoid answering simple questions, and continue to attempt to defend their position with weak arguments.

94. NoVA Scout said on 16 Aug 2008 at 12:47 am:

Your comments are indeed simple, CoM, but what are your simple questions? I’ve explained that my criterion for grant of some sort of visa to uninspected entrants already here would be whether they have a criminal record (I’m willing to extend that to whether it’s here or in their home country). I think that’s fully responsive to your “simple” question of how one tells the “good ones” from the “bad ones”. Is there more to it than that?

That reminds me of a story. I once worked as a day laborer (really) and would get manual labor jobs by waiting at a gas station where contractors would come around and hire you for a day to do really back-breaking work. One of my jobs was as a ditch-digger. We were laying a water pipeline across several miles of rural landscape. It was damned hard work. The nucleus crew of the contractor’s work force were people that some would call Hillbillies from the eastern Tennessee/Kentucky/Virginia border area. One of these guys told me about being a kid and encountering a hornet’s nest hanging over a path through the woods that he frequented. He decided to execute a preemptive strike. He got a rifle and hid himself some distance away in a location with a good firing solution on the hornet’s nest. He nailed it from about 200 yards - brought the whole nest down. The hornets zoomed out of the nest and came right to him. He didn’t have a chance. Somehow the knew exactly where the bullet had come from. They found him within a minute and stung him within an inch of his life. This guy went on to serve in Europe with the 29th Infantry Division and was a crack shot. He said nothing the Germans did (including the Battle of the Bulge) scared him as much as those hornets.

95. CitizenofManassas said on 16 Aug 2008 at 10:05 am:

Nova,

Then you would not have to worry about amnesty because every illegal has broken at least one law. I just don’t understand why you think there are illegals who have not broken at least one law. Also, keep in mind since illegals are dishonest and immoral people, how do you know the “identity” they provide is really them?

96. NoVA Scout said on 16 Aug 2008 at 11:16 am:

My criterion was whether they had a criminal record, CoM. Every citizen probably has broken at least one law. I’m not sure where that gets us. And I oppose amnesty.

97. anonymous said on 17 Aug 2008 at 12:41 am:

“And anon 1545: sure - there is an element of entertainment (beehive kicking) in this for me. Why else would I spend time on it?”

That you find entertaining what most people over the age of, say, 18, do not is no surprise.

98. CitizenofManassas said on 17 Aug 2008 at 1:01 am:

Nova,

You support amnesty since you would allow the “good” illegals to stay, which in case you missed it, they broke the law to get here. So, by allowing them to continue to stay here is in fact giving them amnesty. Citizens belong here and are not in fact breaking the law just by being here. To compare illegals with Citizens is just silly.

99. NoVA Scout said on 17 Aug 2008 at 7:27 am:

I guess it depends on how one defines “amnesty” CoM. I’m using the word in its normal, commonly understood sense. My plan for cleaning up problems associated with illegal immigration assumes that it is not in the national interest to have mass deportation and thus would impose monetary penalties and eliminate the underground economy and culture that has grown up and about which we hear so many complaints in this space. You are defining anything that doesn’t result in total cleansing of the illegal population as “amnesty.” I guess you can say someone else is for almost anything if you define it to your own taste.

100. Colonial83 said on 17 Aug 2008 at 9:43 am:

I guess it depends on how one defines “amnesty” CoM.

Now where have I heard that sort of cagey relativity before? Oh, I remember! Just substitute the words “sex” or “it” for “amnesty.” So you’re right, Nova. In your own words, “you CAN say someone else is for almost anything if you define it to your own taste.”

101. citizenofManassas said on 17 Aug 2008 at 3:15 pm:

Nova,

You have said that you want illegals with criminal records to be deported. Well, lets assume all of them have criminal records or 95% of them. What is another 5% that have to be deported? Would you then be opposed to deporting all illegals that have criminal records?

Amnesty is the forgiving of a crime or action. The fact that they are able to stay is in fact allowing them to benefit from their law breaking. Of course it is in the National interest to get rid of illegals.

102. NoVA Scout said on 23 Aug 2008 at 11:28 am:

By that logic, CoM, allowing you to pay a fine for speeding instead of hanging you (or some other condign punishment is “amnesty.” ) I’ve paid a few of those in my day and I never felt like I got “amnestied.”