Gerry Connolly Attacks Christians

By Greg L | 24 August 2008 | Gerry Connolly, Fairfax County, US Congress, Prince William County | 23 Comments

Gerry Connolly has been trying to attack Keith Fimian as a religious nut for practicing the same faith as Connolly, who earlier in his life attended seminary with the intent of becoming a Catholic priest before he developed a relationship with a nun and left. Fast forward to the present, and Connolly is attacking Fimian’s acceptance of the Holy Bible, of all things.  This rather appalling attack against Fiminan’s christianity is hardly unprecedented, but it is utterly bizarre to see this coming from someone who studied for the priesthood.

Too Conservative sums this up pretty well:

Gerry Connolly is a corrupt and cutthroat man who has driven Fairfax County to a massive budget deficit and is now attacking his election opponent for being a faithful Catholic. Men like this don’t deserve elected office, especially in one of the most educated districts in the country. It is a shameful display, and you would have to be a complete fool or a complete hack to be proud of it.

If you’re in the Eleventh District and believe what the Bible says, this shouldn’t be the only factor that weighs on who you intend to vote for, but I’m pretty sure it would be a pretty significant one for you.  Those that would claim that a candidate is disqualified for office because he believes the Bible demonstrate that they themselves are unlikely to posess adequate qualifications for office not because of their religious beliefs, but because they have shown that they are significantly out of touch with our political heritage and the ideals that founded our nation.

What kind of fool starts attacking his opponent in an election because of their belief in the Bible?

1. PWConservative said on 25 Aug 2008 at 1:20 am:

Dont know how to trackback but my take is at pwconservative.net

2. Arlington Minority said on 25 Aug 2008 at 8:45 am:

Connolly is a Dhimmi extremist, who, like Adolf Hitler, once toyed with the Priesthood before showing his true colors. His advocacy of arm bands for devout Catholics can’t be far behind.

3. 11th District voter said on 25 Aug 2008 at 9:26 am:

It’s more than just attacking someone because of his belief in the Bible. If Connolly is still a Catholic, is he now denying this? Doesn’t this go against the First Commandment? Aren’t we a society that believes in religious freedom? What will Connolly say/do next? Unbelievable!

4. Groveton said on 25 Aug 2008 at 12:08 pm:

Where did CONnolly attack Fimian for being Catholic? Did he say it? Write it? Don’t get me wrong - I’d love to see CONnolly gone but I have to be able to cite what he said. I’d like to cite it at mass next Sunday or at the PTO for the Catholic schools my kids attend. Just tell me where I can reference what he said.

Also - Keith Fimian seems like a good guy but I’d like to hear a bit more from him. His web site is interesting but he needs to get out and “start shouting”.

5. Jay said on 25 Aug 2008 at 12:32 pm:

Religion is for grown-ups who need imaginary friends anyways. . .

6. 703-691-2131 said on 25 Aug 2008 at 2:28 pm:

Maybe Jerry Connoly should ahut up and ask why his hit and run was covered up that he did after leaving a function in Tysons corner. He was driving a county car struck a vehicle in the rear and fled. He asked then acting chief Suzanne devlin to take care of the issue and she told him the investigation would have to run it’s course. Amazingly she was not picked by him to head the police department…( wonder why)

there is a GREAT story here I wonder why no one is researching it

7. Anonymous said on 25 Aug 2008 at 4:01 pm:

Today, I got a flyer in the mail . Disgusting, bigoted, anti-Catholic claptrap about Fimian. I was undecied about the 11th race. No more.

To Jay, freedom of religion is a fundamental right we enjoy. That includes your right to freedom from religion and I respect that. Some people have a philosophy more than a religion. Okay. What I object to is the thinly veiled bigotry here. If I want to worship a rock and you want to seek advice from a tree, there is no need for us to come out swinging about that.

I hope that Fimian capitalizes on the bigotry that clearly exists and doesn’t just let it go by for what it is.

To Groveton, the flyer does not mention Gerry Connolly. It’s the Democrat party doing what they do best - sucker punching and running away. The Dems are the party of the girlie men. The “paid for by” line says it is from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and “is not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.”

Joe Stalin was a seminarian, by the way. He turned out nicely, too, didn’t he?

8. Carl said on 25 Aug 2008 at 4:08 pm:

Hey, check out when he went to seminary. During Vietnam. Immediately after the war is over he decided the priesthood was not for him and joined a zero-population group which favored abortions for just about every reason under the sun. Some Catholic.

9. Anonymous said on 25 Aug 2008 at 4:14 pm:

703-691-2131 said on 25 Aug 2008 at 2:28 pm:

When did this incident occur? If the above is correct, shouldn’t there have been a police report of the incident? If it was a one-on-one with AC Devlin, then possibly the matter was dropped unless someone else filed a complaint re the hit-and-run accusing Connoly of being the culprit.

10. Anonymous said on 25 Aug 2008 at 4:18 pm:

Jay said on 25 Aug 2008 at 12:32 pm:
    Religion is for grown-ups who need imaginary friends anyways. . .

Yes Jay and you would be probably the first to drop to you knees if you were involved in a critical situation.

11. es_la_ley said on 25 Aug 2008 at 5:22 pm:

Jay said on 25 Aug 2008 at 12:32 pm:

Religion is for grown-ups who need imaginary friends anyways. . .

You may wish to don a flame-retardant suit.

12. Ron said on 25 Aug 2008 at 6:55 pm:

Is it only a Catholic Bible that Connolly dislikes? Or maybe the Protestant one? Wait, aren’t they about the same? How about the Jewish one? This could get really interesting if Connolly and Fimian ever debate at a church.

By the way, Connolly and Fimian are supposed to have a debate at a synagogue in about a month. Stay tuned.

13. NoVA Scout said on 25 Aug 2008 at 11:27 pm:

What exactly was Connolly’s attack on Christians? I couldn’t quite figure this out. Or is this another one of those counter-factual headlines on a post? I think Connolly is Catholic. Why would a Catholic attack Christians?

14. RJ said on 26 Aug 2008 at 1:23 pm:

Just received the flyer in the mail. It’s from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee located in DC. Specifically states “Not Authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee”.

Piece reads at top:
    “Did You Know Congressional Candidate Keith Fimian Is an Officer of a Group That Promotes Rolling Back Women’s Rights?”

Follows with photos of women above 3 points.

1) Outlawing Constitutionally Guaranteed Rights of Women - Fimian’s organization, Legatus, promotes like-minded groups who are dedicated to outlawing constitutionally guaranteed rights of women. (footnote references Legatus.org and all.org web sites)

2) End Access to Contraception for Women - One of the groups that Legatus promotes advocates the end of access to contraception for women. (footnote references Legatus.org web site)

3) Encouraging Women to be More “Submissive” - Fimian’s group Legatus even promotes a group so extreme that they encourage women to be more “submissive” to their husbands. (footnote references Legatus.org and e5men.org web sites)

(my note) The references to the web sites only give what I have shown, no further URL information to specific mentions of any of these positions.

Piece ends with following:

We don’t know much about Keith Fimian, but what we do know is disturbing. GET TO KNOW THE REAL KEITH FIMIAN Go to www.TheRealFimian.com.

(my note) I’m not Catholic, but I can say that if I was, I would be rather upset about this. After checking out the Legatus.org site, it and the e5men.org sites have many references to the practices of the Catholic church. Last I checked the whole of the Catholic church has no political affiliation. Connolly can say what he wants about this campaign and if I was Fimian I would respond with a campaign saying Connolly and his affiliates are against organizations focused on promoting business growth and success, developing solid homes for youngsters to grow up in and the rights of Americans to practice their faith.

15. Wineplz said on 26 Aug 2008 at 2:12 pm:

I heard a radio spot either yesterday or Sunday…not sure which station since I was busy doing something else and not really paying attention.

I’m glad they included the URLs on the flyer because when you actually follow them, you can see how badly they twisted the words, ideals, and agendas of those websites…especially on line item #3. Such effing idiots! Any churchgoer, heck, anyone who’s been to a religious wedding should know the other half of that Bible verse in Ephesians 5. Yes, it directs women to submit to their husbands, but it also directs men to “love your wives as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for her.”

I guess the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee thinks we’re too stupid to actually follow-up on their wild claims even though this district is one of the most educated in the nation (how else do they think we got so rich?).

Also…what would the political fallout be if Connolly or the DCCC had made disparaging remarks about the opposing candidate if he/she were Jewish or Muslim? And what about the Grand Puba of all Dems, John F. Kennedy? Remember when he ran and there was all that flack about his Catholic faith and questions about his allegiance?…amazing how far that political party has backslidden. Don’t vote for a hypocritical hatemonger to run the 11th district.

Hate is hate.

16. Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2008 at 3:17 pm:

Ahhh the wedge issues, always the wedge issues.

The Democrats want you to believe that Keith Fimian will somehow overturn Roe v. Wade from his seat in the House because he is a Catholic. The fact that this issue was decided (for better of worse) by the US Supreme Court in 1973 is beside the point. Maybe he’ll oppose abortion rights justices while supporting anti-abortion justices. Oh wait…. That’s the Senate, not the House. Oh well … that’s the great thing about wedge issues - the facts are irrelevent.

The Republicans want you to believe that Gerry Connelly will personally go to Mexico and hold up the border crossing gate after making sure that the rapists and child molesters get to the front of the line. Oh wait …. Republican George Bush and the Republican Congress (prior to 2006) had all the power they needed to enforce the immigration laws. They just chose not to do so. But electing Connolly will turn the US into the worst of Mexico. Oh well … that’s the great thing about wedge issues - the facts are irrelevent.

And what happens when a campaign de-evolves into a battle of wedge issues? The incumbent wins. And what if there is no incumbent? Then the candidate with better name recognition wins.

Connolly is on his way to the US House of Representatives.

Is all hope lost for Keith Fimian? Only if he refuses to attack Connolly where he is vulnerable - his record as Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. Especially his dealings around the Tyson’s Corner Land Use Task Force. Let’s see if we can provide Mr. Fimian with a script.

1. Hey Gerry, “Where’s the Rail To Dulles you promised as pre-condition to vastly increasing the density of Tyson’s Corner?”.
    2. Hey Gerry, “If the increased tolls on the Dulles Toll Road were supposed to fund the Rail To Dulles project and now that project is dead, whay are the toll increases still there?”.
    3. Hey Gerry, “Why did you ignore the first Tyson’s Corner Land Use Task Force when they put an actual price on the infrastructure required to build out Tyson’s Corner?”.
    4. Hey Gerry, “Why are you ready to accept a recommendation from the new Tyson’s Land Use Task Force that will triple the square footage in Tyson’s Corner without any clear plan for the increased roads, sewers, etc?”.
    5. Hey Gerry, “Who will get rich if the Tyson’s Corner Land Use Task Force recommendations are approved?”.
    6. Hey Gerry, “Who is your employer and what properties do they own?”.
    7. Hey Gerry, “Who are you contributors and what properties do they own?”.

It was not too long ago that a politician with little name recognition had his eye on the biggest prize of all. He knew that wedge issues wouldn’t carry the day. He knew what would. And he put it very succinctly, “It’s the economy, stupid”.

Keith Fimian is well on his way to losing this election. The television ad on his web site is not going to do a thing. “My only promise is to work hard…..blah, blah, blah….”. Gerry Connolly works hard. He just doesn’t work hard for the people who elected him.

Take off the kid gloves Mr. Fimian. Gerry has.

17. Loudoun Insider said on 27 Aug 2008 at 9:14 am:

That is brilliant, anonymous! Right on the money, but Fimian still seems to be treading water. I don’t understand it.

18. Mr. Anon said on 27 Aug 2008 at 9:28 pm:

703-691-2131 said on 25 Aug 2008 at 2:28 pm:

I was sitting in traffic today on I-66 and I noticed the car ahead of me in the next lane had a Connoly for Congress bumper sticker. I thought to myself, who would be dumb enough to show their ignorance in public like that? When I pulled even with the car I was shocked to see that it was Mr. Connoly himself. FYI, he also has a peace sign bumper sticker and an “I miss Bill” bumper sticker. ‘Nuff said….

19. wanna bet said on 28 Aug 2008 at 1:31 am:

What is up with the rules in politics anyway? The Dems can be on the defensive and offensive at the same time. The Republicans are blamed for ‘attacking’ a democratic candidate. I agree, it is time for everyone of the republicans candidates, religious or not, to take off the gloves and get in the fight! Ok, if you feel you must turn the other cheek, do it, and THEN take off the gloves and get in the fight. Watch some Hillary videos and see how to stick it to them while you are smiling!

And people of faith might step out of the four walls are their places of worship and realize the ‘freedom to worship’ is being hijacked. Our freedoms are being picked-off one at a time! Stand up and speak out as the voice of the majority. Keeping silent won’t tell the world what it is dying to hear..the truth.

20. Anonymous said on 28 Aug 2008 at 3:33 pm:

I am Catholic (and a woman) and I was horrified by the flyer I received earlier this week. Three more have followed since. I’m disgusted that this is what the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee does with its’ time. It is low, low, low trash. Fear mongering of the worst type. I found it upsetting. They aren’t attacking Fimian for his views because their own flyers admit they don’t know what his views are. They are attacking Fimian because he is a Catholic who associates with other Catholics.

I was undecided. I am undecided no more. Alleluia. I have seen the light. I have chosen a candidate with a few months to go.

If this is how Democrats want to try to play on my fears, then I am a Fimian supporter as of this week.

Where do I get my bumpersticker and my yard sign?

I agree with the person who said Fimian should hit Connolly hard on his record. This is all such good timing for Connolly. If he gets to go to Congress, he can bail from the Board and stick his colleagues with a budget mess to clean up.

Fimian’s got a pile of money. Let’s see him show some ballsiness. Shock and awe a bit. But please don’t stoop to the Democrats’ level while you’re doing it. What they sent was repulsive.

21. 703-691-2131 said on 28 Aug 2008 at 5:18 pm:

Listen to Jerry spew here. By the way the FR-300 ( accident report) contains no real info the real info are the notes from the interviews of the drivers and “no one has them available.”

22. Amazed said on 30 Aug 2008 at 12:19 am:

It’s truly amazing just how out of it the remaining hard core readers of this blog seem to be. Connolly’s alleged hit-and-run was covered extensively back in early May during the Democratic primary not only by Byrne-loving Not Larry Sabato, but the mainstream media. The case actually went to trial and Connolly was found not guilty. Where have you been?

As for Fimian, I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but he’s deeply involved with right-wing Catholic organizations that are considered extremist by most Catholics. They don’t believe in the public availabilty of any birth control for crying out loud. I’m not talking about being against abortion. I’m talking about believing that condoms, the pill, the sponge, anything that possibly prevents pregnancy, should be illegal, even for married couples. This is way out there stuff and it’s the reason Fimian doesn’t want to talk about the issue. I’m Catholic and studies show that the vast majority of Catholics, including those who are stridently pro-Life, support the availability of contraception for married couples and don’t accept the doctrine that sex should be only for procreation. That’s what Fimian’s groups support. Are you telling us that you believe condoms should be illegal? Wake up! Tom Davis hand-picked this right-winger to take the fall so he could stick it to the Virginia party’s right-wing for shafting him. He wants to highlight again how when Republicans run right-wingers they get beaten, while at the same time not costing the national party anything because Fimian is rich enough to self-finance. Really, look up from your computer screens every now and then and read something real. You guys are living in a bubble.

23. Anonymous said on 3 Sep 2008 at 8:04 pm:

Amazed, if you really believe that one guy among 435 can take away our right to buy rubbers, then you’ve got a screw loose.

This is fear mongering on the part of the Dems.

Gerry Connolly loses my vote, too. This is low. He benefitted from it, so he should apologize for it.