Illegal Aliens Arrested At Fort Lee

By Greg L | 26 August 2008 | Illegal Aliens, Virginia Politics, Crime | 51 Comments

Where is one of the places you think you’d be least likely to encounter an illegal alien?  How about within the secure perimiter of a military installation?  Well, after seeing illegal aliens arrested on-post at Quantico Marine Corps Base in 2006, it looks like the Department of Defense has tightened things up a bit, and is actually checking for illegal aliens at the gates of installations.  At Fort Lee, they’re finding them, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.

In fiscal year 2008, which ends Sept. 30, ICE agents have made more than 700 administrative arrests and 100 criminal arrests at critical-infrastructure facilities across the country.

The immigrants at Fort Lee were arrested at checkpoints where police conduct identification checks and random vehicle inspections, Metzger said. Most of the immigrants presented false identification, including driver’s licenses, state IDs and permanent resident cards, also known as “green cards.”

All military installations apply the same rules when it comes to illegal immigrants, federal officials said. However, other military posts in Virginia have not seen the increase in cases against illegal immigrants that Fort Lee has experienced.

At Fort A.P. Hill in Caroline County, police arrest eight to 10 illegal immigrants a year, A.P. Hill officials said.

Northern Virginia’s Fort Belvoir has several construction projects under way but has not caught undocumented workers trying to enter the base, spokesman Don Dees said.

And at Norfolk Naval Station, there has not been one undocumented immigrant arrested this year, spokeswoman Terry Davis said.

“In Virginia, we have been kind of the model for successfully prosecuting illegal immigrants,” Fort Lee’s Metzger said. “We are very aggressive when it comes to protecting the installation.”

What kind of traitor is going to hire illegal aliens to work on a military installation?  Unfortunately we don’t find that out as often as we’d like.  I’d really like to know who the employers are that would rather hire cheap illegal alien labor to build our military infrastructure than American workers.  I’d also like to see prime contractors held accountable for the behavior of their subcontractors, rather than use this tired dodge of using subcontractors to employ the illegal aliens they cannot directly employ.

1. El Guapo said on 26 Aug 2008 at 7:39 am:

Here we go again. Blame the employers. A guy presents what appears to be a valid ID, what’s an employer supposed to do. I know. I know. There are so many people who have the supernatural ability to determine a person’s legal status merely by their appearance, but most employers don’t have that ability.

And if an employer were to not hire someone based on nationality or race, then Case de Maryland and/or other organizations would slap a lawsuit before you can say “heartburn”.

What’s that? “E-Verify”? If the ID has a valid name and ssn, then e-verify will tell you that it’s valid.

It’s so easy for an uninformed, irresponsible blogger to say that the employers should be held accountable. It’s a whole different story for law enforcement to acquire the evidence needed.

2. me-n-u said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:22 am:

El Guapo most employers know when they are hiring illegals and e-verify is effective.

3. Arlington Minority said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:37 am:

Right. Just like the Mississippi electrical equipment plant didn’t have the slightest idea that a mere 350 of its employees were illegals until yesterday’s ICE raid.

4. Arlington Minority said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:40 am:

Right. Just like the Mississippi electrical equipment plant had absolutely no idea that a mere 350 of its employees were illegals until yesterday’s ICE raid.

5. Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:46 am:

Off topic, but was was going on at 6am this morning across from the 7-11 on centreville rd. by that monstrosity of a building that is perpetually under construction? PWCPD and firetrucks were blocking the road in front of that Mexican restaurant where Bens BBQ used to be.

6. illegalisILLEGAL said on 26 Aug 2008 at 10:00 am:

Maybe it was a raid.

7. Dan Cooper said on 26 Aug 2008 at 10:12 am:

I am surprised COMCAST and VERIZON were not named!

8. Brian Leeper said on 26 Aug 2008 at 11:54 am:

It’s called the “ID Checking Guide” and it costs about $25.

9. madmom said on 26 Aug 2008 at 12:36 pm:

Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:46 am:

I’d like to know myself…I went by around 8:15 - 4 DL’s hanging about. What the heck is that building gonna be?? The county says “hotel and retail”.
    Who the heck is gonna get a hotel room across from a day labor site? You gotta be kiddin me.

Who drafted THAT business plan?

BTW - it’s a NEW restaurant there - how does any of those businesses
    stay in business? Rarely a car there…..at least Ben’s had live music on the weekends. I quit going near the place with all the loiterers hanging about.

10. Elvis said on 26 Aug 2008 at 1:49 pm:

off topic but I heard crime in fairfax country is up 12.1 percent this year, I wonder if that would coincide with the influx of illegal aliens to that area from PWC? Just food for thought.

11. Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2008 at 2:50 pm:

madmom said on 26 Aug 2008 at 12:36 pm:
    Who the heck is gonna get a hotel room across from a day labor site?

DL’s of course!

12. Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2008 at 3:28 pm:

That was always my assumption too that this was going to be an establishment that catered to day by day rooms for rent to serve the day laborer crowd across the street.

13. mnd said on 26 Aug 2008 at 4:27 pm:

El Guapo,

I agree. If the employer has done his due diligence and has an I-9 for every employee then he’s in the clear. If on the other hand he’s got some lame forgery from a guy who isn’t able to speak English that might be a reasonable clue that the person in question might not be legal.

14. es_la_ley said on 26 Aug 2008 at 6:18 pm:

FYI…

ICE: Nearly 600 detained in Miss. plant raid

LAUREL, Miss. (AP) - Federal officials say nearly 600 suspected illegal immigrants were detained in a raid on a manufacturing plant in southern Mississippi, making it the largest such sweep in the country.

A spokeswoman says more than 100 of those caught up in Monday’s raid on Howard Industries were released based on humanitarian concerns, mostly because they have children.

Most of the rest were transferred to a federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Jena, La. Nine 17-year-olds were transferred to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

The Mississippi raid was one of a series of recent high-profile crackdowns on illegal immigrants. In May, officials swept into the Agriprocessors kosher meatpacking plant in Iowa and detained 400 workers.

Link: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D92Q6K480&show_article=1

15. Elvis said on 26 Aug 2008 at 6:58 pm:

es_la_vey,

I just read that and was going to post here but u beat me too it! totally awesome, 600 freaking illegals!!! that is by far the most I’ve seen, they deserve it too! I cannot say or express how happy I am to read that article. I think I’m gonna throw a party every time they make a big raid.

16. Elvis said on 26 Aug 2008 at 7:18 pm:

I just cracked open the first of many brews to toast uncle sam for the awesome raid today! I’m extremely happy about this, the more deported the better. sure most will likely come back, but a certain percentage will not and that’s better than nothing. I care not about their individual plights, the made their bed and now they shall lie in it!

17. Red Dawn said on 26 Aug 2008 at 7:54 pm:

Elvis,

“I just cracked open the first of many brews to toast uncle Sam for the awesome raid today! ”

I am all for happiness and celebrating BUT, I hope it wasn’t a Budweiser that you cracked open to celebrate Uncle Sam ( very pouted lips)

18. Red Dawn said on 26 Aug 2008 at 7:57 pm:

Elvis,

After thought to my comment about the pouted lips: Budweiser guzzle turned into the Budweiser dribble ( America on Sale my brother)

19. es_la_ley said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:29 pm:

Red Dawn said on 26 Aug 2008 at 7:54 pm:

Bud is swill, no matter who owns it. :-)

( very pouted lips)

Oh, do tell.. Vixen. };-)

[Just kiddin’ (!), but I’m donning my flame-retardant suit anyway. Nothin’ but love for ya! :-) ].

20. Junes_Reston said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:32 pm:

A Herndon Lawyer has been blogging that day laborers and the contractors who hire them are exempt from verifying authorization to work.

If a contractor picks up illegals (knowingly or otherwise) to work for just one day, there is no legal requirement to verify authorization to work …. even on a military facility or Airport.

21. Mr. Anon said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:46 pm:

Mississippi is the poorest state in the Union. A significant percentage of people live under the poverty line, and the state has a very high unemployment rate. How little was the employer paying for these jobs that even Americans in this state wouldn’t take them?

22. es_la_ley said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:54 pm:

Red Dawn,
    My apologies. A stupid quip on my part.

23. Red Dawn said on 26 Aug 2008 at 10:05 pm:

es_la_ley,

It’s all good! From Snakes ( ummmmm, NOT, you know my concerns-still waiting for the pictures of the big catch) to Brews! I don’t PRETEND to be anyone other than who I am :)

Can I get a hell yeah? lol!

Who’s beer is worthy NOW?

24. Elvis said on 27 Aug 2008 at 6:41 am:

nope Red,

no bud :( I used to be a big fan but not so much anymore, not sure how “american” it is. I’m big into the microbrew thing so I do drink american brewed micro-brew beverages. I’m partial to dogfishhead stuff but will pretty much drink everything. I had a few last night, I think things are stepping up and I hope the government continues on their trend to rid us of the illegal alien scourge (Sorry, couldnt resist that little statement:)

25. Black Saint J said on 27 Aug 2008 at 7:29 am:

This election will be decided by Hillary`s supporters and their ability to forget and forgive Barrack collective giving her and them the finger and the Bitter White`s clinging to God, guns and believing in our Constitution against Invasion. It will be up to Barrack to convince them that the invasion from Mexico and our declining standard of living as well as the Americans slaughter, raped and robbed by Illegal Aliens is an good thing for them. He also needs to convince them that attending and Racist Black power church for 20 years and hanging around with Criminals, Terrorist and Racist is just an Black thing and no harm intended!

26. Arlington Minority said on 27 Aug 2008 at 8:59 am:

The mother-of-all-raids at a single workplace continues to grow in size, now reaching nearly 600 violators, proving that ICE has barely scratched the surface. It was reported that the legal workers left behind applauded as the illegals were being hauled off, which only confirms the employer had to know the extent of the fraud committed.

27. monticup said on 27 Aug 2008 at 9:20 am:

Sob stories are coming out about the children. These illegal aliens like to have them young–looks like most of them were teenage mothers.

28. Black Saint J said on 27 Aug 2008 at 10:17 am:

With both Candidates promising Amnesty for the 20 to 40 millions mostly uneducated Illegal Aliens they need to provide their Justification based on what is best for the future of this Nation and its Citizens not for the Political Parties or or them but This Nation & its Lawful Citizens!!

It is to bad that our media and politicians will not address the problem in an common sense way. Immigration policy is supposed to be decided by what is best for the Citizens and the Nation not for the ones wanting to Immigrate. What is needed and should be required before any Amnesty is the impact and ramification’s on this Nation and its Citizens if the 12 to 30 millions mostly uneducated Illegal Aliens is given Amnesty, along with the family members that will be added through our chain Immigration policies.

The impact on our Population, Crime, Welfare, Congestion, Taxes, Education, Culture, Pollution, Environment, Resources, Standard of Living, Criminal justice system, Urban sprawl, etc. projected out in 5 & 10 year increments for the next 50 to 100 years, while I admit it will be difficult to do with complete accuracy it will be better than making the decision based on emotions or on the benefits to the parties and politicians and to the possible determent of our citizens and this Nation. I personally believe that the Amnesty is supported by the Democrats because they think a Amnesty will be adding Democrat voters while furthering their Socialist agenda and the Republicans because their supporters want the cheap labor & either Party gives a Damn about the impact on Citizens or the future of this Nation!

Every industrialized nation has taken steps to end illegal immigration and to limit legal immigration to only that which is prudent, demonstrably necessary, and above all other concerns, in the best interest of their native population.. Its insane to suggest that America should not do likewise!

29. AN ANON said on 27 Aug 2008 at 10:48 am:

I was going through some court records yesterday and found a murder case being cited. It occurred in Stafford Va. and an illegal committed the murder. What was interesting was it showed who his employer was. I’m going to call ICE with that employer information. Hopefully they will look into it. Surprise, surprise, it was a landscaping company. I will out the company after I talk to ICE.

30. Anonymous said on 27 Aug 2008 at 10:56 am:

?? Why wouldn’t ICE already know this info? Obviously the police know it and would pass it on to ICE since the guy is a known illegal. Am I missing something here?

31. AN ANON said on 27 Aug 2008 at 11:03 am:

Maybe they do know. But unlike other people in our world, I don’t assume they do know. Also law enforcement isn’t required to tell ICE anything and as we all know some places refuse to give any information to ICE.

32. Arlington Minority said on 27 Aug 2008 at 11:08 am:

This follow-up story describes the fear gripping the “immigrant community” following the raid, and the laughable statement by the employer that it “runs every check allowed to ascertain the immigration status of all applicants for its jobs.”

33. New Dawn said on 27 Aug 2008 at 12:31 pm:

Arlington Minority I read that article earlier and also found it laughable. 600 illegal’s and they didn’t know? I could see if there were a few but that large of numbers is ridiculous!

34. Mando said on 27 Aug 2008 at 1:21 pm:

“One worker caught in Monday’s sweep at the Howard Industries transformer plant said fellow workers applauded as immigrants were taken into custody. Federal officials said a tip from a union member prompted them to start investigating several years ”

This has to be a major quandry for the democrats. On the one hand you have millions of POTENTIAL voters ripe for welfare programs and thus dependence on the democrat (intentional left off the ic) party and on the other you have the unions which are their bread and butter.

35. Johnson said on 27 Aug 2008 at 1:23 pm:

The raid was great!

Si, se puede!!!

36. BattleCat said on 27 Aug 2008 at 2:47 pm:

There is also a story out about the large numbers of Americans crowding into the Laurel, MS plant to apply for those jobs! That employer needs to be spanked….and HARD!

37. BattleCat said on 27 Aug 2008 at 2:49 pm:

LAUREL About 30 cars were lined up in front of Howard Industries Laurel plant today filled with people looking for jobs.

An estimated 350 workers are being held at an undisclosed location following an early morning raid Monday on Howard Industries that officials say is the largest round-up of its type in Mississippi in recent years.

Topics = Illegal Immigration, Laurel, Mississippi, Howard Industries, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Shantay Holles, ICE raid, Samantha Stevens, American workers, enforcement needed

August 26, 2008
    Ed Kemp
    American Staff Writer
    oldonevet.com

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said the 350 employees at a Howard Industries plant in Laurel are in the country illegally.

Federal warrants were issued at the plant early Monday and also at the corporate headquarters in Ellisville.

Shantay Holles, 26, of Heidelberg said she used to work at Howard Industries as an electric tester but was fired last year. She said she is applying today because she heard on the news about the ICE raid.

Thats all they would hire Mexican, Mexican, Mexican! Holles said.

Samantha Stevens, 18, a 2008 graduate of Heidelberg High School, said she couldnt find a job and she is glad the ICE stepped in.

We were here first. Its not fair for them to have a job, Stevens said.

38. Arlington Minority said on 27 Aug 2008 at 3:28 pm:

There are a couple of good lessons for Virginia in the Mississippi case. The article states that Gov. Barbour had recently signed a law requiring Mississippi employers to use a U.S. Homeland Security system to check new workers’ immigration status, and (the best part), making it a felony for an illegal immigrant to accept a job in Mississippi.

39. Love The USA said on 27 Aug 2008 at 3:37 pm:

Arlington Minority I hope it holds up to a law suit.

40. Arlington Minority said on 27 Aug 2008 at 3:50 pm:

It does assume that illegals are aware that they are illegals, which should make it a safe assumption.

41. Herndon Bob said on 27 Aug 2008 at 5:10 pm:

Anonymous said on 26 Aug 2008 at 8:46 am:

Anon

I would also like the location of the major site on Route 1 if anyone can provide that information.

42. Arlington Minority said on 27 Aug 2008 at 5:49 pm:

Back on topic, sort of, here’s a news flash from Sanctuary Central–a San Francisco court has set aside a drug-trafficking case on Monday against a 14-year-old Honduran illegal alien–a ruling that juvenile justice officials fear will undermine Mayor Gavin Newsom’s new policy requiring that such offenders be held for possible deportation. Specifically, the court ruled he should be considered a victim and be entitled to receive social welfare services. Courts are clearly determined to protect all offenders until they eventually graduate to the really serious matters.

43. BattleCat said on 27 Aug 2008 at 5:55 pm:

Oh Goodie!

We got a SouthSide Locos tag on a Brookfield sign coming into Morris Farm. Interestingly, just inside the effective range of an AR-15. Not MY AR-15, of course. When do the little kiddies go back to school?

44. Maureen said on 27 Aug 2008 at 6:04 pm:

BattleCat- Where is Brookfield?

45. BattleCat said on 27 Aug 2008 at 6:19 pm:

Brookfield Homes is the developer, the development is Morris Farm, which is next to Glenkirk Elementary School, Gainesville. Behind Glenkirk and VA Oaks. Covington’s District, I believe.

46. Junes_Reston said on 27 Aug 2008 at 10:44 pm:

I used to think the Unions were just milking machines, milking the workers while the Union Bosses skimmed off the cream. Now I’ve moved over to fence sitter.

This is the second time an ICE Tip has come from a Union member about employment violations in American factories and plants.

With Howard Industries, no wonder the Union and its members were ticked off. HI was screwing the tax payers on both ends …………..

“Jackson, Hattiesburg, Laurel and all areas along the coast, it’s a little Mexico,” Shaffer said. “I’m not against people trying to make living. I have a compassion for those folks. But at the same time, the taxpayers of Mississippi shouldn’t be subsidizing a plant that won’t even hire their own workers.”

In 2002, Mississippi lawmakers approved a $31.5 million, taxpayer-backed incentive plan for Howard Industries to expand. The company, with 4,000 workers, is the largest employer in Jones County, which includes Laurel.

About 2,600 of Howard Industries’ workers are in the union. Shaffer said he did not know whether any of those picked up in the raid were union members, or if nonunion workers were offered overtime while union workers were not.

47. Brian Leeper said on 27 Aug 2008 at 11:56 pm:

“Can you give me the street names of where this 7-11 is? I have someone who wants to take some pictures of the site. Centerville and ???”

I believe that’s the 7-11 on Old Centreville Rd near it’s intersection with Parkland St just south of the Fairfax County line. (Old Centreville road changes to Ordway Rd as it crosses the line).

48. k.o'toole said on 28 Aug 2008 at 10:43 am:

murders-for-hire jobs that americans just don’t want to do…

49. anon said on 29 Aug 2008 at 2:10 am:

So much for “Americans won;t do the jobs”:

On Wednesday, hundreds of people lined up outside the plant to apply for jobs as news of the raid spread. A billboard had gone up last week, before the raid, saying the company was hiring.

“I need a job and got kids. I heard that they need some help now,” said Willie Keys, 20, who applied Wednesday. “All them Mexicans got fired because they didn’t have a pass … All these businesses have been taking Americans’ jobs.”

50. es_la_ley said on 30 Aug 2008 at 4:10 pm:

Ladies! Going to the Battlefield? Arm yourself.

——————————————————–

Published: August 19, 2008

Prince William police are investigating a reported sexual assault that occurred at Manassas National Battlefield Park on Tuesday.

A 25-year-old Fairfax County woman called 911 around 12:10 p.m. and reported that a man attacked her on a battlefield path, said 1st Sgt. Kim Chinn, police spokeswoman.

The woman told police she was hiking and had stopped to rest about a half-mile away from the Stone Bridge that crosses Bull Run at the Fairfax/Prince William County line when a man armed with a knife grabbed her by the wrist, Chinn said.

The assailant then inappropriately touched her, police said, but fled when she screamed.

The woman told police he fled toward the park parking lot off U.S. 29 in Fairfax County.

The assailant was described as a Latino man, in his 20s, between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 6 inches tall, with a shaved head, police said. He was wearing plaid shorts, a black shirt and white shoes.

For several hours, battlefield police searched areas of the park on horseback and Prince William patrol officers searched nearby areas, but no one matching that description was found, Chinn said.

Prince William police are also working with Fairfax County police on the case.

——————————————————–

51. Arlington Minority said on 2 Sep 2008 at 9:34 am:

“…[H]e didn’t look like an illegal alien [besides] I certainly don’t want to go around challenging people’s status,” said a Texas state rep. whose Honduran employee clubbed someone to death over the weekend. Unfortunately, this politician is running unopposed in November.