video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Wally Covington Provides The Definitive Answer

By Greg L | 25 September 2008 | Prince William County | 13 Comments

The miscreants who showed up at this week’s evening session of the Board of County Supervisors this week in order to pursue their personal vendetta against a fellow county resident demanded statements from the county supervisors.  They failed to notice that one of them had already provided a statement which he read during the afternoon session, which if they had bothered to read it might have inspired them to pursue a more responsible course of action.  What Brentsville Supervisor Wally Covington wrote on his matter is as well written and reasoned a statement as the board has ever made, and should be sufficient to end this sordid affair.

STATEMENT OF W.S. WALLY COVINGTON, III
SUPERVISOR, BRENTSVILLE DISTRICT
September 23, 2008

I am very disquieted over the recent public discourse over whether or not a citizen is qualified to serve as an appointee of this body on behalf of Prince William County based solely upon a transcript of words, whether written or spoken.  Freedom of speech is guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.  A forum in which to discuss ideas, however radically perceived by opposing viewpoints, is also guaranteed by our U.S. Constitution.

At pivotal points in our nation’s history – the Revolution, slavery debate, the school standoff in Montgomery Alabama and Kent State – impassioned citizens argued and defamed the character of individual citizens involved.  The national dialog over illegal immigration may be one of those same pivotal moments in time. But no matter how frenzied the political debate becomes whether during a Presidential election year, or today, in Prince William County, history shows that, in each example, the wheels of democracy turned parallel to the agitation on a steady, committed course to institute resolution.

While I have held elected office, I have gained the utmost respect for the practice of democracy.  Public debate is an important part in this democratic process.  President James Buchanan said “I like the noise of democracy.”  Members of this very board often have passionately opposing views.  But in the process of debate, respectful of the public trust placed in us by those we represent and of our individual viewpoints, we govern.  Where compromise can be reached an outcome is affected.  When the majority rules, even once strongly held views can be vetted, out of deference for the republic in which we stand.

Thomas Jefferson once said, “In a government bottomed on the will of all, the liberty of every individual citizen becomes interesting to all.”  When good men and women who vehemently disagree, come to the table for dialog, change does occur, sometimes even within impassioned individuals, as they are exposed to other points of view.  As an elected representative of the people, I do not believe that it is within my purview to quash that potential growth.

In this country, history has proven time and time again that the only way to advance a cause in which you believe is to support the rights of people you don’t agree with.  Contrary to popular belief, not all politicians test the wind to see which way it blows.  Edmund Burke, one of the great philosophers upon which American political thought is based, summed this argument up best in a nutshell: “Your representative owes you not his industry only, but judgment and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices that to your opinion.”

This statement should answer anyone who questions my actions.  I have provided written copies of my statement so that my comments are not misconstrued.

Thus endeth the history lesson for those who may need it.

1. Andy H said on 25 Sep 2008 at 8:57 pm:

Interesting….

2. TedKennedysSwimInstructor said on 25 Sep 2008 at 9:51 pm:

It is my understanding that Elwina Slopssberg-Dunkel will resort to following at the next BOCS citizens’ time to garner a statement regarding anything from Supervisors Corey Stewart and John Stirrup:

3. Dave in PWC said on 25 Sep 2008 at 10:24 pm:

Well said Mr. Covington.

Teddie, that was nasty. Glad I saw that tonight instead of tomorrow morning when I”m eating my breakfast.

4. me said on 25 Sep 2008 at 10:54 pm:

I saw Wally speak in the afternoon’s session supervisor’s time and was very impressed. Then I was watching the evening session shaking my head when they got up and spoke.

Wally did a great job that is for sure!!!

I will say that they are beginning to look a little school aged arguments….but Joe did this and Joey said this….blah blah blah blah.

Keep up the good work all!!!

5. Johnson said on 26 Sep 2008 at 7:43 am:

The pendulum is swinging the other way. The rights of the many are beginning to become more important than the rights of the few. The majority of citizens are tiring of the shenannigans, both local and national.

6. legal2 said on 26 Sep 2008 at 8:22 am:

From today’s MJM comments to Letters:

“Posted by ( kgotthardt ) on September 26, 2008 at 7:36 am
    You go, Mr. Kessler! I’m tired of the BOCS picking on the elderly. How many elderly can get themselves and their paperwork (possibly long gone) to the reviewers in person? And I would love to know how many posters here are elderly? We know the BOCS members are not; Corey Stewart and John Stirrup have no problem doing or getting whatever they want.

Love the idea, “I say let us force our supervisors into proving they are legal residents first.” And how about some background checks on all of them including their appointees? For all we know, they are terrorists besides being obvious hypocrites.

I say sue them for discrimination anyway. This is discrimination against the elderly and disabled. While you are at it, make it a class action lawsuit. I’d be happy to help you collect signatures, sir. Katherine.gotthardt@gmail.com

Does it sound like the paranoia continues? Ah, well, at least collecting signatures will keep her busy for about 10 minutes.

7. LegalPWCCitizen said on 26 Sep 2008 at 9:33 am:

Interesting that gotthardt takes so much offense to the County asking the elderly who are recieving the benefit of no or reduced County taxes to show identification. She does not need to speak for my mother who fell into that category. 84 years old and she happily complied. She lives on a small federal and state taxed annuity. She is TIRED of seeing her taxes go to benefits given those who are here illegally. So, she got her passport and driver’s license out. We went to Sudley North where it took less than 5 minutes to comply with the requirement. No fuss… no hassle… no problem.

If you know of an elderly person who is having difficulty with this, gotthardt, go and help them out. Or, better yet let those of us on this site know and I am sure we will pull together to work with them.

I’d respond on the other site, but feel that going there is not even worth my time.

8. manassascityresident said on 26 Sep 2008 at 11:22 am:

LegalPWCCitizen said on 26 Sep 2008 at 9:33 am:

I took my elderly mother to the tax relief office on the pwc parkway so she could do the same thing. She was MORE than happy to comply. She took her birth certificate and the whole process took no more than 2 minutes. Needless to say, I was very happy to see that the county is doing this - and so was she…..along with an elderly gent who was there doing the same thing.

9. Bob Wills said on 26 Sep 2008 at 11:44 am:

Amendments 1-10 of the Constitution

The Conventions of a number of the States having, at the time of adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added, and as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution; Resolved, by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two-thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States; all or any of which articles, when ratified by three-fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the said Constitution, namely:

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

As one can read there is no such thing in the Bill of Rights as ” Freedom of Speech” but it specificaly says that Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of sppech and there is a big difference.

Convington’s speech was excelent and something we have not seen from this or past BOCS at all. Where is Covington’s convictions when Stewart threatens the public about what they say and the same for Stirrup when they did not like to be opposed and had far different views then they have?

One should be careful of what they wish for. Now when Stewart threatents to stop someone from speaking during citizens time he should know that he is violating the Constitution but Stewart could care less about anyones rights other then what he thinks is right.

10. Indigenous_Elvis said on 26 Sep 2008 at 8:02 pm:

ted,

flat out hilarious…keep em’ coming!

11. indigenous_Elvis said on 27 Sep 2008 at 5:32 pm:

That picture of elena is pretty nasty…would have been much better without her ugly face planted on it. When I see them all at BOCS meetings I want to vomit, I’m always so tempted to walk up to them and ask them to spare me the pain and torture. Someone needs to look around and slap their parents for making such ugly children.

12. alleycat said on 27 Sep 2008 at 6:16 pm:

indigenous_Elvis said on 27 Sep 2008 at 5:32 pm:

Just ask them to put bags on their heads…..

13. ben said on 27 Sep 2008 at 8:17 pm:

wow, i heard the graffiti clean up went well for the hsm crew today. great to see someone actually doing something constructive for the community and not just bitchin.