Scratch AT&T From Your List

By Greg L | 16 November 2008 | Illegal Aliens, Manassas City | 19 Comments

This photo was taken at an AT&T cellular store in Manassas City across from Prince William Hospital, which apparently is interested in gaining as customers illegal aliens, who presumably are the only potential customers lacking identification or social security numbers.  You’d think that after the mortgage industry learned just how bad an idea it is to lean money to persons who are illegally in the country and who may be deported if found, that AT&T would re-think their policy of not only doing business with illegal aliens, but actively reaching out to them as potential customers.

I wonder if AT&T thought they could make money by providing services to Mexican drug cartels, they’d start advertising to members of the Mexican Armed Forces that if they decide to desert and join the Zetas, they could get a great deal on cellular service they could pay for with drug profits.  I can understand a business not getting involved in this issue and inadvertently getting business from illegal aliens while they market to a general audience.  What I can’t tolerate is when business decides it is going to tie their profitability to the continued unlawful presence of illegal aliens in our community.  Businesses that knowingly hire illegal aliens, or knowingly market to them are traitors.

Take your business elsewhere.  There are plenty of other choices.

1. InTheNavy said on 16 Nov 2008 at 9:40 pm:

Our intention was to switch from Sprint to AT&T in December because of the benefit of rollover minutes. Thanks for the heads-up. Guess we’ll just stick with Sprint. I’m certain potential terrorists will appreciate AT&T not requiring a SSN or I.D. to sign up for cell phone service. I’ll be sending a nice, long scathing e-mail to AT&T corporate headquarters.

2. Hmmm... said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:27 pm:

My understanding is that ATT stores are independent “authorized retailers,” not corporate-owned stores. So this is a case where the bone is with the owner of that store, not ATT corporate.

3. InTheNavy said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:27 pm:

According to an AT&T rep and his supervisor:
    (1) It’s an authorized dealer, not a corporate store
    (2) the advertisement must be for prepaid service because…
    (3) SSN & DL numbers are always required for contract service
    (4) it’s a ploy to get people in the store (ya think?)
    (5) it appears to be geared toward non-citizens (yeah, I got that)

4. AWCheney said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:29 pm:

I wonder if the OWNER is an illegal alien?

5. C2Consult said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:30 pm:

Hmmm… is right. This is an independently owned AT&T reseller obviously trying to target Spanish-speaking folks. Corporate probably has no idea.

6. InTheNavy said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:38 pm:

There are corporate stores as well, but, yes, if an issue exists with this particular store, addressing it directly with the owner is the next course of action.

7. Anonymous said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:51 pm:

Shannon Auto Sales also advertises no SS for a car purchase.

8. InTheNavy said on 16 Nov 2008 at 11:08 pm:

If you’re not financing the vehicle through them, it’s my understanding they would have no right to ask for a SSN; hopefully they’re not advertising that financing is available w/o a SSN. But, there are many people who willingly hand over their SSN to any business that asks, regardless of the circumstance. I’ve even had to refuse to provide it to every veterinarian we’ve used. I recall years ago looking up, on the SSA web site, who is actually authorized to request your SSN, and it was quite a short list.

9. Anonymous said on 17 Nov 2008 at 1:30 am:

InTheNavy said on 16 Nov 2008 at 10:38 pm: Flag comment

You’ll probably have to address it in Spanish. It also appears to be a hangout although there are signs discouraging loitering (for show?)

10. Pat.Herve said on 17 Nov 2008 at 8:11 am:

In my opinion, it does not matter whether it is a corporate store or not.

If the ATT registration system allows them to enter a customer without a SSN or DL number, then it is ATT that is allowing/encouraging it to happen. I am sure that their system will kick out a registration if, say the name is missing.

11. BothPartiesDoColludeAgainstYouAndMarketToYourFears said on 17 Nov 2008 at 11:07 am:

The store is an illegal hangout. They were one of the very few shops in the area who supported that boycott last year.

I would say “Let’s boycott them” but it’s mostly just Spanish speaking “undocumented persons” who go in there anyway.

Best thing we can do to hurt them is to continue to provide disincentive to their customer base to live and shop here.

12. Ummmmm? said on 17 Nov 2008 at 11:27 am:

I happen to know as a “pay as you go” customer you don’t need ID or a SSN. Do you know for a fact that they are offering contracts or are they advertising to get ppl on the “pay as you go” plan? And another good point is if you don’t have outstanding credit and don’t wish to pay the $550 deposit, that “pay as you go” sounds like a good idea to me. You can go into any Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart, convince or grocery store and purchase a “pre-paid” phone with no ID or SSN. You can also go into Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint and get pre-paid service without ID or SSN. When you stop and look at it you can get a cell phone just about anywhere with no ID or SSN are you going to boycott everywhere? Now I know what some of you fine folks on here are thinking….”illegal supporter”…. this is the way your brain works, but before you go down that road let me make on thing clear…I do not now nor have I ever supported illegal citizens in the USA. I think what is bothering some of you is maybe the signs aren’t in English? I am pretty sure that if you went into the store and asked that the signs be in English as well as Spanish that either the store or ATT as a whole would be happy to comply. Has anyone thought of that?

13. Anonymous said on 17 Nov 2008 at 1:43 pm:

Ummmmm? said on 17 Nov 2008 at 11:27 am: Flag comment
    I think what is bothering some of you is maybe the signs aren’t in English?

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck………………

14. TDB said on 17 Nov 2008 at 3:07 pm:

Ummmmm? said on 17 Nov 2008 at 11:27 am: Flag comment

I do not now nor have I ever supported illegal citizens in the USA.

I think what is bothering some of you is maybe the signs aren’t in English?
    ===================================
    What is an illegal citizen????

The problem with the signs being only in Spanish (or any other FOREIGN language) is that it excludes the citizenry! We shouldn’t have to ask to have the signs in English. If they wanted the business we wouldn’t have to ask.

15. Muttley said on 17 Nov 2008 at 3:48 pm:

Same thing goes for Asian signs. Next time you are on Wilson Blvd in 7-Corners, try to make out some of the signs. Many of them are only in their specific language “excluding” English speakers. So, it is not only the Spanish signs that are being segregationist. How do you fix that? Honestly, I don’t want to learn their language because I am not in their country. They are here and they should learn ours.

16. Anonymous said on 18 Nov 2008 at 12:31 am:

BothPartiesDoColludeAgainstYouAndMarketToYourFears said on 17 Nov 2008 at 11:07 am: Flag comment
    The store is an illegal hangout.

What other activities are going on in there. Front window is loaded with Spanish this and Spanish that. They are doing more than activating telephones.

17. BothPartiesDoColludeAgainstYouAndMarketToYourFears said on 18 Nov 2008 at 7:42 am:

I don’t know about that. I will never set foot in there. I remember that boycott. I intend to do a little jig if and when they go out of business some day.

18. Sissy said on 20 Nov 2008 at 10:36 am:

I find this a very interesting article. Did you know I used to work for a Sprint in 2002 and that my manager ACTIVELY marketed to Latins? Now, we did not assume the people we serviced were here other than legally, but many of them did not have SSNs and could not speak or read English.
    We also had two spanish speakers on our staff who were scheduled in such a way as to service this client base. New employees to speak Spanish for the same reason.
    Also, just so you know, this WAS a Sprint PCS Corporate store with offices in Montgomery County, Md.
    2002. Think about it.
    But it’s also as much as the greedy American taking advantage of the situation- much like the Latins servicing Latins in the sub prime mortgage debacle.

19. Anonymous said on 22 Nov 2008 at 12:06 am:

Sissy said on 20 Nov 2008 at 10:36 am: Flag comment
    - much like the Latins servicing Latins in the sub prime mortgage debacle.

They still are today.