Connolly Attempting to Suppress GOP Votes

By Greg L | 23 January 2009 | Fairfax County, US Congress, Prince William County | 25 Comments

Guest Post by Sanford D. Horn

Caught on video tape, freshman Democratic Congressman Gerald Connolly (VA-11th) gave a speech where he pleaded with an audience to remind all the Democrats they know to vote on Tuesday, February 3 and conversely to remind all the Republicans they know to cast their ballots on the following Tuesday, February 10.

The sad fact of Connolly’s election to the US House of Representatives last November created the vacancy in his former post as Chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. Current board members Pat Herrity (R-Springfield) and Sharon Bulova (D-Braddock) are seeking the top spot as well as independents Carey Campbell and Christopher De Carlo.

The special election will in fact be held on Tuesday, February 3 with polls open from 6 a.m. until 7 p.m. More information about the election parameters and eligibility can be found at www.fairfaxcounty.gov.

Slimy tactics like those used by Connolly have certainly been used in the past by both major political parties – written notices with wrong dates, telephone calls with wrong dated reminders and other shenanigans employed to prevent the opposition from exercising their constitutionally granted right to vote. One fully expects Connolly to suggest he was merely joking, but if a Republican had done likewise, it would have made the front pages of papers calling for sanctions or a resignation for attempting to disenfranchise minorities or some such claim.

Those who are fortunate enough to be reading this column should contact one of Connolly’s offices and lodge a complaint. If for nothing else he will need to take the voices of the voters seriously. The telephone number at Connolly’s district office is 703-256-3071 and at his DC office it is 202-225-1492. Or contact Connolly via e-mail at www.connolly.house.gov.

UPDATE: NLS has the video of Connolly’s behavior here.

1. James Young said on 23 Jan 2009 at 10:28 am:

It was a joke. However, given that the far Left moonbats would call a similar joke by a Republican “voter suppression,” it is certainly appropriate to savage Connolly for this comment.

After all, turnabout is fair play.

2. Anonymous said on 23 Jan 2009 at 10:36 am:

James Young said on 23 Jan 2009 at 10:28 am: Flag comment

It was a joke.

Yeah, Connolly is a real comediane. Maybe he should have tried out for SNL instead of Congress.

3. sahdman said on 23 Jan 2009 at 10:44 am:

I have heard guys on the radio say things like this but Connely is an elected representative. I know he was talking to a group of supporters but it is still unbecoming behavior for a congressman to act like that. What a piece of Obama. Bulova is a piece of Obama too and so is her son. I have said it before Democrats are only good for two things raising taxes and killing babies. Bot of which are immoral.
    Contact your senators and congressmen and tell them not to support this economic stimulus package. It is going to be the end of our country as we know it. I know they won’t listen but maybe if we shut down the phones to the capitol they won’t be able to ignore us. All the Obama heads, Democrat and Republicans need to hear from the 58 million that didn’t vote for Obama. Short of a military coup thats the only thing I can think of that will stop this Obama from happening. Maybe in two years and maybe we can get back the house and senate.

4. Johnson said on 23 Jan 2009 at 11:14 am:

On a lighter note, with all due respect to the President, he was right about this. The liberal press are too rude and ignorant to relax for a few minutes and enjoy a social visit. I guess not every reporter is enamored of him. We’ll see if his press pass is revoked.

5. DB Cooper said on 23 Jan 2009 at 12:46 pm:

Conolly’s constituency does the partying that legal citizens won’t do [from Fairfax Times]:

Four men were arrested while partying in a storm sewer after some Herndon residents complained of hearing loud voices below their homes.

According to Herndon police, approximately seven men were hanging out in a storm sewer under the 500 block of Early Fall Court in Herndon when police responded to a report of loud noises Jan. 17 at around 3 p.m.

According to spokesman Lt. Jeff Coulter, as police arrived, three of the men ran off but police found four men who appeared to have been drinking — one of whom was passed out in the sewer.

“We just lifted up a manhole cover on Early Fall Court and there they were,” said Coulter.

Police arrested three of the men for drunk in public and the unconscious fourth man was extracted from the sewer by a Fairfax County Fire and Rescue HAZMAT team, then taken to Reston Hospital. One of the men was charged with destruction of property after he kicked out the window of a police cruiser.

The men were described as white or Hispanic, all between the ages of 30 and 50 years old.

“This is a new one for us,” said Coulter on Monday. “We’ve chased kids out of storm drains before, but never a group of grown men.”

6. I Bleed Obama Blue said on 23 Jan 2009 at 1:41 pm:

Thankfully, Republicans in Fairfax County have become a disenfranchised minority.

Let me get this straight: Connolly urges Democrats to lie to and deceive Republicans…And this is wrong why?

7. Anonymous said on 23 Jan 2009 at 5:42 pm:

Connolly is a clown. And now he actually thinks he’s funny. Great. That someone like him could get to Congress is an embarrasment to Virginia.

8. Sanford Horn said on 23 Jan 2009 at 6:45 pm:

Greg,

I publicly thank you for posting the video to support my brief column.

9. sahdman said on 23 Jan 2009 at 10:54 pm:

Obama blue,
    Let me give you one example of why Democrats are dangerous, once the INOVA hospitals start losing to much money taking care of all the illegal immigrants that liberals welcome with open arms and the county takes over the hospitals and on top of that the almighty national government takes over the whole health care system you all won’t have adequate medical facilities. That is just the tip of the ice burg. Change your liberal ways or your going to be up Obama creek without a paddle. (my wife came up with that one)

They taxed him and gave me a check, they taxed him some more and gave me health care they taxed him some more and gave me retirement then they couldn’t tax him anymore now they are coming after me. they will make us all their slaves and our nation is on its way to being a slave to all the countries we borrow from.

I feel sorry for liberals always accepting mediocrity. Look at Fairfax schools they lower the bar so the children feel better about their grades. I don’t think it will be to long before the schools in Fairfax will start to decline. Liberals ruining another perfectly good county.

10. CNSF said on 24 Jan 2009 at 2:38 am:

D for Democrats, D for Decay.

R for Republicans, R for Renewal.

11. I Bleed Obama Blue said on 24 Jan 2009 at 5:14 pm:

Sahdman –

These dire predictions of yours are all in your mind, friend. You imagine the demise on the INOVA health system, excessive taxation, etc. Couldn’t you at least wait until there’s a problem, or even the HINT of a problem, before you start with your “chicken Little” kvetching?

I cannot believe that I am the one to have to tell you this, but: WE’E ALL BEEN SLAVES FOR QUITE SOME TIME. Grow up already!

Regarding FCPS, I feel sorry for your ignorance: The grading was changed because FCPS students who scored 93 on a test were awarded B+ grades while student in other school systems were awarded A grades for the same test score. This resulted in FCPS student’s transcripts appearing inferior to those of students from other school systems with the same numerical grades.

Seriously, gain an understanding of the issues before you post. It will prevent you from looking this stupid.

12. I Bleed Obama Blue said on 24 Jan 2009 at 5:21 pm:

CNSF –

R for Republicans, R for Reprobate.

Enjoy your many, many years in the wilderness!

13. T-Diddy said on 24 Jan 2009 at 6:33 pm:

Hey sahdman,

What I love about you is how your mantra never changes. “Ooooo, taxes are going to sink us!” “Oooo, the liberals are going to embrace illegals and run healthcare into the ground!” You guys need to go back and look at the election results. Obama took Virginia. Warner took Virginia. Webb took Virginia. Kaine took Virginia. In law inforcement, they call those clues! Nobody is buying that stuff anymore.

Virginia Republicans need to retool and rethink their position. The 28 year run beginning with President Reagan is over. Fiscal responsibilility is still a necessity, but you have to drop your mantra and realize taxes are needed to build wider roads to get over the Occoquan without sitting on 95 for an hour twice a day. (God only knows in what state the bridges are given the VDOT budget cuts!) We need to pay teachers better wages so we have people applying that can actually pass the Praxis tests. We need better wages for fire and rescue personnel so they can afford to live here AND eat. I’ll pay $500 more a year to do it. Wouldn’t you?

You all come across as a bunch of people that think, “I have mine, to hell with them.” Prove that I’m wrong!

14. Emma said on 24 Jan 2009 at 6:54 pm:

And speaking of taxes, I would have liked Bush and the Republicans to have had the spine to raise taxes to fund the war on terror, not to have indebted us to our future Chinese masters to pay for it. I guess that was an effort to make the war politically popular if it didn’t appear to be costing us anything. And how did that end up working out for Bush and the Republicans?

I agree that the sooner we grow up and realize that we should be willing to bear the costs for wars, “universal healthcare” and infrastructure improvements, the more responsible we might be in incurring those costs in the first place. But there also needs to be some accountability. I get a little tired of the old saw that if we just paid our teachers more, that the quality of education would magically improve. Sorry, but only quality teachers deserve quality pay, and I would be very willing to pay more as an incentive for those high achievers. Teachers who simple show up for work and perform mediocre work should only receive mediocre pay, and there are plenty of them out there, too.

If our elected leaders continue to fear raising taxes, I guess we can continue to borrow from the Chinese and pretend that they will never call to collect on the debt someday.

15. Chameleon said on 24 Jan 2009 at 6:59 pm:

gerry’s mustache looks like he pasted a dead animal to his lips

16. Wolverine said on 24 Jan 2009 at 8:50 pm:

My, my, T-Diddy. You have finally convinced enough voters to buy into your folly. Sure took you long enough! Well, the ball is yours now. Run with it! It won’t be too long before the voters begin to discern that folly and return to their senses. Enjoy your time in the sun. And remember that nothing lasts forever, especially false promises which go unfulfilled. As for the rest of us, we are waiting and watching for that moment when you fall on your face and fumble it all away. And we will be ready to pounce. Don’t be so smug, pal. Your party has a history of being very fumble prone.

17. sahdman said on 24 Jan 2009 at 10:08 pm:

Obama Blue,
    I know we are slaves and our children and their children and now with trillion dollar bailouts were talking generations of slaves as far as the eye can see.

I went to Fairfax County schools I had to put up with the higher standards they had as far as grades go and everyone seemed to do just fine. Of course that was before the Liberals completely took over the county and dumbed it down.

About the hospitals that is just an example. Look what happens to hospitals when they can’t pay the bills they go out of business. D.C. general comes to mind. don’t think it can’t happen to Fairfax. I am not chicken little all I am saying is go to the emergency room at Fairfax Hospital or have your wife have a baby there. You will see what I mean.

T-diddy,

I don’t mind taxes (within reason) but they never build the roads. Warner raised taxes for roads and they never built them. They never build them. They tax and tax and nothing gets done. They can’t maintain the roads they have and you want more?

We need to start home schooling or private schooling and run the public education system out of business. The federal government shouldn’t have a say in our children’s education. It seems a little like something a totalitarian state would do. Get the teachers unions out of the classroom and make teachers accountable to the parents would be a first good step.

Besides, hey all Obama supporters
    How many babies did your vote kill today?
    I am more than upset that my tax dollars are going to be paying for abortions around the world.

When did Health care become a right? If the government has the right to give me health care they have the right to take it way. Look at Britain they let old people suffer and little children wait for needed surgery. And try to find a dentist. I guess the only way you get speedy quality care is if you are a productive “worker”. Its some sick stuff going on over there.

18. CNSF said on 24 Jan 2009 at 10:56 pm:

Liberals don’t like roads. They like public transportation. I suspect that this is because most of them cannot master the concept of driving.

19. CNSF said on 24 Jan 2009 at 11:00 pm:

“D for Democrats, D for WE WON THE GODDAMNED ELECTION AND CONTROL BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS!”

That means whatever happens is all your fault. (Unless you can somehow convince the sheeple that it’s the Republicans fault because they agreed to it, too).

20. T-Diddy said on 25 Jan 2009 at 9:32 am:

Hey Wolverine,

Libby, Rove, Saddam has WMDs, biggest recession since the depression, flat housing market, 4000+ dead in a nation building exercise…..guess you all know about falling flat on your face…..er…..governing. My retirement account can’t take anymore of your high quality governing.

I’ll take a shot at something different. Give me a quality centrist (not one of you high minded christian fundamentalists) and I’ll consider it. If I was you, I’d be ashamed of Gov. MILF as my VP candidate. Nobody took her seriously enough to actually vote for her because she would have been worse than Carter! Tell me you are proud of her and think she actually would have been a good president! Connoly governed more people in Fairfax (1 million +) than MILFy (around 700k) and probably had a bigger budget. HE wasn’t qualified to be VP, so why was she? Because she quoted the mantra? Come on, Wolverine, please tell me you care more for this country than that! McCain just bumbled it. The best qualified candidate won the White House.

Now, I will be watching just a closely as you because governing is harder to govern than run. Obama is a politician, and a lawyer. Need I say more? All this transition has been is another installment of the K Street Shuffle. The Blues and Reds trade offices and start the next run for 2012.

Hey sahdman,

I’m actually with you on the schools with respect to accountability to the parents. I served on a couple of committees as a parent representing my kid’s schools. The “professional” educators give you what I call the “teacher face.” You know it. The condecending smile as you explain something to them, all the while ignoring it? Home schooling is an option I support, but it isn’t for everybody. I took the attitude that my tax money pays into the schools, so I’m going to use it and hound them and pay attention and communicate. Guess what happens? They take care of your kid. They are risk adverse and will react, but you have to be willing to get in their grill. Does this work? Ask my 19 year old daughter at Va Tech. All A’s and one B in her first semester. She graduated high school with 18 college credits Tech accepted. All from a PW county school. Go figure.

As for killing babies, how many of the non-aborted babies have YOU adopted? Have you provided maternity care for the mother? Have you helped her go to school and get a job? No? Have you at least wrote her a check for the clothes and food and diapers? No? How many of these babies are going to be raised in crappy situations where they aren’t wanted, ignored, abused, essentially aborted 5 or 10 years after they are born? You probably think she deserves this fate since she got pregnant, right? Jesus said something along the lines of “When you do this for the least of these, you do them for me.” If you want to stop abortion, give me something that shows you are going to care for the baby, otherwise you are lying to us and yourself.

21. T-Diddy said on 25 Jan 2009 at 9:58 am:

Hey Wolverine,

I forgot DeLay and Abramoff.

22. Anonymous said on 25 Jan 2009 at 12:21 pm:

T-Diddy said on 25 Jan 2009 at 9:32 am: Flag comment
    McCain just bumbled it. The best qualified candidate won the White House.

In your opinion. The lesser of the evils would be a better statement.

23. sahdman said on 25 Jan 2009 at 12:42 pm:

T-diddy

I don’t think Jesus would consider killing an unborn baby something we would do for him. I am willing to bet no matter how I answer you, you will say “what about the cases of rape and incest?” I think that if abortions were banned the cases of rape and incest would be dealt with (hopefully through adoption) and it wouldn’t even be on the political radar.

You do give a good charge towards anti-abortion advocates, we do need to do more work with charities and organizations that support children who are neglected.

24. Wolverine said on 26 Jan 2009 at 3:34 am:

Hey, T-Diddy!

I’ll be watching too. We’ll see. I do hope sincerely, however, that your retirement account recovers. That is a real bummer. I know.

25. Anonymous said on 26 Jan 2009 at 3:15 pm:

Very few of us do anything (or enough) for women facing a crisis pregnancy and that is a fair criticism. I know I have not always done enough and I consider myself to be pro-life. There is such a thing as crisis pregnancy. I believe women deserve better than abortion, but I know that even one of my best friends had one many years ago. She wasn’t poor, she wasn’t homeless, she wasn’t a loose woman, and she wasn’t careless. She became pregnant under terrible circumstances. Still, her choice affected her deeply. What she felt she had to do at the time, was not what she wished she’d done later. It’s a complex issue. But yeah, I think it’s a fair criticism that not everyone who is pro-life does enough to help women facing difficult circumstances. The more we treat people with compassion, the more likely they are going to be willing and able to make the right choice.