Support Marshall’s E-Verify Amendment!

By Greg L | 12 February 2009 | Illegal Aliens, Virginia Politics | 35 Comments

URGENT!

Fresh off the press from Save The Old Dominion is an action item to support Delegate Bob Marshall’s amendment to the Virginia budget to mandate that the state use the E-Verify system to ensure that taxpayer funded jobs go to legal workers.  With about 200,000 Virginians on unemployment right now, we don’t need to provide more employment opportunities for the 300,000 estimated illegal aliens in Virginia.  We need to act now, since the vote on this will be Thursday, February 13th!

This is the Bob Marshall I know…

URGENT ACTION NEEDED!

Delegate Bob Marshall has put in a budget amendment that will require state agencies, cities, and counties of the Commonwealth of Virginia to ascertain the legal work status of a!ll new employees using the “E-Verify” system operated by the Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration.

This amendment will be voted on February 12, 2009. Please make sure that you call or fax before 11:00 am tomorrow.

Please contact Speaker William J. Howell (R) - House District 28 Fredericksburg at (804) 698-1028   Fax- (804) 698-6728

Also, please contact your local Delegate.  This link will take you to a list of all Delegates and their phone numbers.

To fax your Delegate use (804) 698-67 — and the Delegates house district number (Manassas “50″, Occoquan “51″ and Woodbridge “52″, for example).  Those in Manassas would fax to (804) 698-6750.

Not sure who your Delegate is? Use this link to find out.

Support jobs for legal workers instead of illegal aliens.  Support E-Verify!

The amendment to the House budget is as follows:

Amendment 4-6.05 Chief Patron: Marshall R.
Positions and Employment
Selection of Applicants for Classified Positions
Language:
Page 683, beginning of line 19, insert “a.”
Page 683, after line 21, insert:
“b. All political subdivisions and state agencies of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall use the E-Verify System operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration to ascertain the work status of all new employees.”
Explanation:
(This amendment requires state agencies, cities, and counties of the Commonwealth of Virginia to ascertain the legal work status of all new employees using the “E-Verify” system operated by the Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration.)

1. NoVA Scout said on 12 Feb 2009 at 7:50 am:

Didn’t we establish yesterday that your attack on Marshall’s voting certification bill was way off the mark? Why does your banner on that post still criticize him?

As for THIS Marshall bill, how many illegal immigrants hold down state jobs? Can we quantify the problem?

When my company hires new personnel, we are required to ascertain citizenship or legal residency/visa status. Is the Commonwealth any different? If not, is there evidence that illegal workers have been finding ways to work around those checks?

2. /\/\3|)iç 64 said on 12 Feb 2009 at 9:19 am:

Nova,

I guess identity theft or fraud hasn’t come to mind for you. That is how they get around it. If they prduce a BC and driver’s license, your company takes them at their word they are legal without any further check, I presume. The E-verify system goes one step further and gives the employer additional verification. You have to crawl before you can walk or run. This is just the first step to put the entire program into place for ALL businesses. I know for a fact that there is an ILLEGAL alien father and son working at Rugged Warehouse in Manassas. I have been told by the son they are illegal. They are here from Peru and overstayed their visas. The son was dating my daughter at one time. I was able to convince her that her relationship with an ILLEGAL alien was not a good idea. For once she listened to dad. I am working on findong out how to report this to the proper authorities.

3. Rotacovda said on 12 Feb 2009 at 9:34 am:

NoVa Scout: You misrepresent facts in the above post just like in previous ones. Your company is NOT required to “ascertain citizenship or legal residency/visa status.” It’s required to have the prospective employee fill out the I-9 form. Nothing more. If the prospective employee lies, or presents false dox, the employer is protected because all the law currently requires is that it not KNOWINGLY hire an illegal alien. As you are well aware, the e-verify bill would simply require the employers to run the social security number that the prospective employee gives through a data base to confirm its authenticity. There is no requirement to do that at the present time (much to the surprise of those who are more tuned in to American Idol than the future of their country). This bill would require that check by state and local agencies prior to hiring. It should be required by ALL employers, public AND private.

Why do we need to quantify the current number of illegal aliens working for the state to justify this bill? The bill is intended to PREVENT illegal aliens from being hired in the FUTURE. The possibility that one illegal alien might, at some future date, work at taxpayer expense justifies the checks required by this bill. You just want to cloud the issue with a call for more “research” so your illegal alien clientele can continue to take jobs away from legitimate citizens and residents.

I would ask Delegate Marshall why public contractors were not included with this bill? The vast majority of public funds are paid to contractors, not state employees, who are supposed to “win” their contracts by proposing the best possible value for the lowest price. There’s quite an incentive to keep down labor costs by hiring an illegal work force. Look at the federal building in Richmond that was raided last summer. It was being built by a company that had “prominent” George Mason economics professor Stephen Fuller on its board of directors.

4. G Man said on 12 Feb 2009 at 9:57 am:

Move away from the keyboard and MAKE THAT CALL! I just completed my call. You do the same.

5. Mark said on 12 Feb 2009 at 10:07 am:

Wow, NOVA, that was probably the most facetious posting from you I’ve seen yet. You KNOW there’s a problem and that E-Verify can help. Guess you really need cheap labor, eh?

6. Arlington Minority said on 12 Feb 2009 at 11:04 am:

Greg, after speaking with Speaker Howell’s office in Richmond, I tried reaching Del. Al Eisenberg, whose highly gerrymandered district ensures his permanent rule over Arlington, and got a recording directing me to call his Arlington district office. Upon calling that office, I got the same recording obviously bouncing back to me from Richmond–an echo chamber experience that somehow seems symbolic of his relevance to voters. I ended up sending an email message, almost expecting his autoreply that says how delighted he is to have received my valued input.

7. Rotacovda said on 12 Feb 2009 at 11:37 am:

G-man: I’m not making any calls for a bill, that, in the big scheme of things, means very little. If Delegate Marshall backs a bill requiring ALL contractors to use e-verify, or at least all public contractors, then I’ll say we’ve got something worth tearing the walls down for.

8. G Man said on 12 Feb 2009 at 2:21 pm:

Rotacovda, a war is won one battle at a time. Incremental gains are better than steps backward.

9. rebelreggie said on 12 Feb 2009 at 3:45 pm:

From: Roy Beck, President, NumbersUSA
    Date: Thursday 12FEB09 12:30 p.m. EST

Pelosi delaying House Stimulus vote — Phone calls still have chance for miracle on E-Verify

DEAR FRIENDS,

Call your 3 Members of Congress. Go to your Action Buffet corkboard and take all actions offered there.

Capitol Switchboard 202-224-3121.

Get direct info on your 3 Members here.

The outcry against the devious, secretive and undemocratic way that the conference Stimulus Bill was negotiated has led to House Speaker Pelosi putting the House vote off until Friday.

Even though Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Reid and the Obama White House have made it clear that they will not accept any limitations on illegal aliens in the Stimulus Bill, there remains an outside chance that your phone calls this afternoon could tip the balance somewhere.

Long-time NumbersUSA members know that we never give up as long as there is any chance at all.

The people who most need calls are Democratic Senators and these 3 Republican Senators: Snowe (R-Maine), Collins (R-Maine) and Specter (R-Penn.)

If any two of those 61 Senators will tell Sen. Reid that they won’t vote for the Stimulus without an E-Verify protection of American workers, we will get the protection.

IT WILL TAKE ONLY 2 SENATORS TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Phone with these key points:

“Although the Senator has made it clear that he/she will vote for the Stimulus Bill, he/she has the power to slow down the process long enough to correct a huge injustice in the Conference Report.”

“Please tell Sen. Reid that your Senator will not be able to vote for the bill until the bill clarifies that jobs created by the Stimulus must go to American workers and others who are legally authorized to work in this country.”

“I am sure the Senator does not want this bill he/she has created to spen d this precious money hiring illegal foreign workers. Please decline to pass the bill until the E-Verify protections passed by the House are put back in.”

Go to the NumbersUSA home page to read my full blog and our news stories about what is happening with the Stimulus Bill

THANKS,

10. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Feb 2009 at 4:56 pm:

Nova claims he wants an orderly immigration system and wants to do away with illegals. Yet, he has not supported any attempt to do that. Hmm….

11. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Feb 2009 at 5:01 pm:

I just called the Speaker’s office and the lady I spoke with said they had received a lot of calls regarding the Amendment.

12. JustWondering said on 12 Feb 2009 at 5:07 pm:

Gman, you are correct; incremental is how the liberal hippie terrorist-types got into our schools and government.
    Mr. Marshall, how can you support the NCCB’s position on granting amnesty and yet support constituents who rely on you to defeat incremental amnesty?

13. bob marshall said on 12 Feb 2009 at 5:53 pm:

Del. Hull first made a motion to pull my e-verify amendment out of the House of Delegates Budget. Then he withdrew his objection. It passed in the block vote and is part of the House budget now. Thanks for the calls.

Del. Bob Marshall

14. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Feb 2009 at 6:33 pm:

Delegate Marshall,

Thanks for the update and the good work.

15. Solar Cycle said on 12 Feb 2009 at 7:12 pm:

Off-topic, but the hanging sign at 9500 Liberty ain’t looking so good. Mother Nature must not be pleased with ol’ Gaudencio.

16. Ron said on 12 Feb 2009 at 7:16 pm:

Tangentially related, from http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NDIxOTMxM2RhMzY2ODNhNjAyYjEyMzhjNGJkNDA1Nzc=

“E-Verify –Language to reauthorize the E-Verify program and ensure that stimulus funds benefit legal American workers was unanimously adopted in the Appropriations Committee and agreed to on the House Floor. This language was completely removed from the conference report.”

17. NoVA Scout said on 12 Feb 2009 at 8:32 pm:

With a lot of you folks I’m never sure whether it’s your reading skills or your reasoning skills or both that get in the way of substantive knowledge being exchanged. I asked a few simple questions:

How many illegal aliens hold state jobs?

Can we quantify the problem?

Does VA already check citizenship/visa status?

If so, is there evidence that 2Is are evading those checks?

To this, Rotacovda says I misrepresent facts ( how do you misrepresent facts by asking a question? the only assertion I made was that my company requires checks citizenship/visa status for all its workers - between Rotacovca and me, I think I get a little deference on this point, unless he works in my HR department and can tell me that they aren’t doing what I say they are doing).

/\/\ etc. - we require a passport or green card.

No one seems to have any idea of the answers to my simple inquiring-minds-want-to-know questions. Conservatives hate legislation that is not well anchored in fact.

Rotacovda - the reason this legislation does not require private employers to use e-verify is because immigration enforcement is constitutionally not a state function. No doubt Mr. Marshall, who considers himself a conservative, has at least a rudimentary sense of constitutional requirements.

18. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Feb 2009 at 8:45 pm:

Nova,

How many non illegals hold jobs in the Commonwealth of Virginia? What do you mean by… Does VA check Citizenship/Visa status?

19. JENA said on 12 Feb 2009 at 9:01 pm:

NOVA- How wrong you are. There are many states that require “private” employers to use e-verify.

Doesn’t matter how many illegals hold state jobs.
    Can’t quantify the problem because no one asks the question.
    Is there evidence that 2Is are evading those checks? NO ONE CARES!

20. Citizen12 said on 12 Feb 2009 at 10:13 pm:

Nova-

How many illegal aliens hold state jobs?

At least one ….and that’s too many

Can we quantify the problem?

One is too many; in fact it’s the start of an epidemic

Does VA already check citizenship/visa status?

Not good enough

If so, is there evidence that 2Is are evading those checks?

for more specific numbers we can hog tie any suspects and stack them like cord wood along the curb until a state inspector comes by and determines their degree of illegality and how many trucks will be needed to ship them out.*

*research has shown this to be the most effective in terms of accuracy as well as saving both time and money.

21. NoVA Scout said on 12 Feb 2009 at 10:40 pm:

What’s his name, C12?

Read, JENA. Read. Take it slow if it helps. The nice thing about this format is that no one need know how long it takes for an idea to sink in, unless you comment publicly in a way that betrays that you didn’t get it. I said nothing about whether states require private employers to use e-verify. I did, however, suggest that Delegate Marshall, seeing himself as a good conservative, may not have addressed the issue in this legislation because he is a devotee to the Constitution. That’s just a theory, but I’m going with it until someone tells me (convincingly) that Mr. Marshall doesn’t care about the Constitution. I would be deeply saddened to hear that, if it were true.

And JENA, why doesn’t it matter how many illegals there are in state jobs when we’re talking about legislation to keep it from happening? If there’s one (C12’s theory), we might approach that problem in a way that’s different than if there are several gazillion. Quantification is important before reaching for the legislative solution - unless you’re a liberal, in which case you believe there can’t be too much legislation regardless of whether the problem is big, little, or non-existent.

You’re soft on job check evasion, JENA. You may not care, but that doesn’t mean that none of us does. Some of us care immensely.

Back to you C12. Interesting approach there to treating suspects. There used to be a market for that in some of the more oppressive third world dictatorships. It’s a fairly narrow field these days. Not sure what to recommend to you. What is your citizenship, by the way? Doesn’t sound like you’re too high on American values. Assimilation is much to be desired. That means you have to educate yourself about our culture and history well enough that you understand what makes America a unique and inspirational place for those who love freedom and mistrust government excess. It’s not enough to just come here from some tinhorn backwater and advocate that kind of treatment.

CoM: My question was whether the Commonwealth checks citizenship or legal residence as part of its pre-employment screening. It’s very common in the private sector. My thought was that if the State is doing this, and if we have no information that illegals are working for the state, we may not need the legislation. On the other hand, if the State doesn’t make any effort to check and there’s information that large numbers of illegals hold state jobs, Del. Marshall’s bill may not be adequate.

22. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Feb 2009 at 11:11 pm:

Nova,

I don’t know if the State checks or not. I’d like to know if Cities and Counties do the same.

23. Citizen12 said on 13 Feb 2009 at 12:38 am:

NoVA

I did not say they were a “him” nor did I say it was only one, but at least one.

As for my approach to treating suspects, I never said I advocated this method but thats just an option, harsh as it may seem, that you may select in your quest for your quantitive purpose.

You indicate that where you work you require a passport or greencard as a pre condition of employment . And that is here in the U.S.?

Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification

ANTI-DISCRIMINATION NOTICE: It is illegal to discriminate against work eligible individuals. Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will accept from an employee.

I’ve a few questions of my own.

Is anyone sure there are not illegal aliens employed by the State of Virginia?

What proof can be offerd to assure the taxpayers of this state?

What methods are employed to verify this information?

What proof do you offer that 2Is are not avoiding detection?

One last question.

Do you ask so many questions in an effort to avoid supporting your own posistion? If your good they run out of energy long before you run out of questions.

24. DPortM said on 13 Feb 2009 at 5:47 am:

Nova Scout,

While attending a Help Save Maryland function, Special Agent Beahn of ICE told the crowd that the Commonwealth of Virginia is one of the biggest employers of illegal aliens in the metro area. He did not provide figures. I believe that this provides the proof you are looking for.

25. NoVA Scout said on 13 Feb 2009 at 7:01 am:

C12 - I’m not sure that there aren’t UFOs either, but I’d want to have a good handle on it before I tried dealing with it through legislation.

I have no idea whether mobs of 2Is are storming the job banks of the state government. That was my question.

I have no position on this legislation. Like everyone else, I can’t form a position without a thorough knowledge of the facts. Since no one else has such knowledge around here, I’m certain none of you are ready to take a position either.

I ask questions because I’m naturally curious. I also have noticed a tendency for people to run around like chickens with their heads cut off on certain issues. My conservative tendencies lead me to want to understand the depth and nature of a problem before I conclude that more coercive government measures are the way to solve it. I realize that that sort of thinking is anathema to liberals who hang around here in large numbers, but it’s just my way, based on lifetime of seeing government screw things up more than it makes things better.

DPortM: If Special Agent Beahn was referring to the Government of the Commonwealth as an employer (as opposed to 2Is in the state of Virginia generally), then ICE would have the numbers. If you link me to them, I’ll have a look-see.

26. Rotacovda said on 13 Feb 2009 at 10:33 am:

Nova Scout:

You and I probably agree on one thing: Mr. Mashall’s little budget amendment will make about as much difference in the big scheme of things as one less teat on a boar hog. What’s needed is an e-verify requirement of all employers, especially public contractors. You and I could speculate on the constitutionality of such a provision ad nauseum, but that’s what’s needed to rid this Commonwealth of the scourge that people like you encourage. Such a law would be worth the risk of a constitutional challenge.

As for the fact you misrepresented, you stated, “When my company hires new personnel, we are required to ascertain citizenship or legal residency/visa status.” The misrepresentation is the part that implies your company “is required” to ascertain citizenship. Now you can engage in some Clintonesque quibbling about the meaning of “is” and say you were not implying there is a legal duty to ascertain the citizenship, that it is just a company policy. But we both know that woud also be a lie.

27. Rotacovda said on 13 Feb 2009 at 10:50 am:

DPortM:

The story the ICE agent is quoting included employees of public contractors as being employees oftate. That’s why an e-verify provision is needed that applies to public (i.e., state) contractors. Marshall’s provision is much ado about nada, or at least very little. I doubt many illegals are employed by the Commonwealth, but from what I’ve seen of our state employees, I’m convinced their average IQ would be raised by hiring them.

28. bob marshall said on 13 Feb 2009 at 10:56 am:

Some of your posting miss the point. Leading by example is how anyone in the public or private sphere is most persuasive.

SO, as I am not a private business owner, but, as one of 140 elected legislators, I am a trustee for the Commonwealth of Virginia, I proposed the amendment requiring all new hires to go through an e-verify background check.

Next, I can require that contractors on VDOT road projects do the same, and we can expand it further.

The Civil Rights movement started with a bus boycott in one city. The same principle was applied in other social areas.

You have to start somewhere.

Delegate Bob Marshall

PS Write your state senators about this amendment.

29. Rotacovda said on 13 Feb 2009 at 12:09 pm:

I thank you, Delagate Marshall, for using your office to accomplish a worthy purpose. You know more about what strategy to use than the rest of us. It’s a pity that your previous efforts on this front were stymied by state senators who have a personal stake in the proliferation of slave labor in the Commonwealth.

30. Arlington Minority said on 13 Feb 2009 at 1:33 pm:

We should all be thankful for Del. Marshall’s leadership. If the Dems. want to give us socialism by a thousand cuts, there’s no reason not to return them the favor for a higher goal: the rule of law. Arlington’s Sen. Wipple and her leftist colleagues will be exposed for who they really are over time.

31. NoVA Scout said on 13 Feb 2009 at 4:30 pm:

Rotacovda: that my company has a requirement to check citizenship/visa status is an absolute, universally-observed-in-practice truth. That requirement has been in place for at least eight years. Unless we work at the same place and you know something I don’t (and I’m in a position to know virtually everything about my company’s policies) , my statement to that effect is neither a misrepresentation nor a lie. Not sure why you would presume to know better.

What is the “scourge” that “people like me encourage”? I am generally opposed to scourges of virtually any kind. We did have a bad infestation of carpenter antslast fall, but I assure you that I did nothing to encourage it.

Thanks for helping DePortM figure out what the ICE agent was saying. My assumption was closer to your explanation than his.

32. Citizen12 said on 13 Feb 2009 at 6:34 pm:

NoVA, point’s well taken.

33. NoVA Scout said on 13 Feb 2009 at 7:59 pm:

Thanks C12, that is very gracious of you. Have a good weekend.

34. DPortM said on 14 Feb 2009 at 5:47 am:

NoVA Scout,

The ICE agent was specifically referring to the Commonwealth of Virginia (the state government) being the largest employer of illegal aliens in the metro area through their contractors and subcontractors. VDOT was one of the biggest departments employing illegal aliens.

35. NoVA Scout said on 14 Feb 2009 at 6:21 am:

DPortM: That’s quite a different kettle of fish than your first reference to the ICE agent, where it was implied that the Commonwealth was directly hiring illegals - the subject of the legislation described in the Post. My original questions went to trying to size the problem that the legislation seemed to address. If you think those who work for subcontractors are employees of the
    state, I’d suggest that you’re technically incorrect. But if that’s the problem you want to address, many of the comments here were stating that Mr. Marshall’s legislation doesn’t accomplish that.