Dems Disclose PWC Lineup

By Greg L | 14 February 2009 | PWCDC | 22 Comments

Gainesville Times reporter Dan Roem came up with an interesting interview with PWCDC Chairman Peter Frisbee regarding the upcoming local races for seats in the House of Delegates, focusing predictably on the candidates that the local Democrats are ponying up.  The list is as fascinating for who isn’t on it as well as who is.  There are the perennial crash test dummies as Bill Day, and some new faces, but for the most part it’s a pretty underwhelming collection.

It seems that the establishment has pretty much had their fill of Jeanette Rishell, stressing that she will have an opponent yet refusing to disclose who the challenger to her nomination might be.   It’s pretty strange for the Chairman of the local Democratic Party to be keeping their candidates a secret, as stealth campaigns typically aren’t associated with electoral success.  My take is that Frisbee’s preferred candidate still needs some “encouragement”, which is hardly surprising.  Waging a pointless campaign against Delegate Jackson Miller after Miller won his last election by twenty one points isn’t something a lot of folks are leaping to take on..

One of my personal favorite liberal nuts Bill Day looks like he’s up for a rematch against Delegate Scott Lingamfelter, and Liar Chris Brown is joined by a practicing minister (evidently putting the question of simultaneously serving God and Mammon to the test) seeking to win a nomination to compete in the 52nd District.  An absolute unknown is offered up as a sacrifice against Delegate Bob Marshall to fill out the card.

Democrats evidently think that their efforts from the Obama campaign will make all the difference in the upcoming House elections.  No doubt the voter identification and volunteer recruitment will help, but that only helps when you have a good candidate and a favorable election cycle.  None of these candidates look particularly strong, and I doubt Democrats will again benefit from a favorable election cycle this year.  Now that Democrats run the federal Executive and Legislative branches, it’s unlikely they’ll be able to fabricate favorable election cycles as they have in the past few years.  Now that they have all the control, they’re responsible for fulfilling all their promises, and those promises just can’t be met.

1. FOIA said on 15 Feb 2009 at 11:06 am:

Let’s see, Luke Torian, against the wife of the village idiot, Jeff Frederick, this will be a very interesting race where the Rs are likely to lose the seat in spite of Frederick commiting $1.5 million from the R coffers for his wife’s race. At least Jeff is running the brains from the Frederick household.

2. Manassasman said on 15 Feb 2009 at 11:41 am:

I have been informed by a Manassas/Manassas Park Democrat Committee member that a member of the Manassas City School Board is planning a run against Rishell for the nomination.

3. cdubbs said on 15 Feb 2009 at 12:42 pm:

Paul Nichols (D) has been doing a good job this past term. Will Faisal Gill be put back up this cycle? Wonder if the PWCRC learned their lesson about conventions.

4. manassas insider said on 15 Feb 2009 at 4:40 pm:

let’s see, who on the manassas city school board are democrats?

my guess, kermit dance, second choice cheryl bass . . .

5. James Young said on 15 Feb 2009 at 4:53 pm:

Uh, “FOIA,” what does it say about local Dems when they can’t beat “the village idiot, Jeff Frederick,” with probably the only credible Dem — Hilda Barg — in the district?

6. Terri in Triangle said on 15 Feb 2009 at 4:56 pm:

I guess seperation of church and state only applies to conservatives, not Democrats!

Also, don’t count on St. Francis, great saint, but fairly liberal parish in Triangle, check the website and the pastor out and make up your own mind.

7. Andy H said on 15 Feb 2009 at 6:03 pm:

Can’t imagine who the D’s would put up against Miller. Miller is a formidable opponent and that would be a long slog. I know I wouldn’t want to do it.

8. James Young said on 15 Feb 2009 at 8:20 pm:

Miller recently demonstrated his influence by successfully championing Prince William Circuit Judge Rossie Alston’s elevation to the Virginia Court of Appeals. Before he did so, Judge Alston’s name wasn’t even in the mix. Andy H. is correct.

9. Anonymous said on 15 Feb 2009 at 9:42 pm:

Bill Day seems like a nice guy but he is certainly not electable material. Even by democratic standards Day’s views seem off the wall. He was way out of his league two years ago.

10. FOIA said on 16 Feb 2009 at 7:43 am:

James Young, you clearly have no understanding of how Rossie’s elevation occurred.

11. John Galt said on 16 Feb 2009 at 7:58 am:

“my guess, kermit dance, second choice cheryl bass . . .”

That would be a bad guess, Manassas Insider. It would be Tim Demeria. Kermit Dance just got elected, and Cheryl Bass is a loyal Republican. Perhaps she’s not as conservative as you, but she is a Republican nonetheless. My guess is she’s thinking about a run for council this time. The Manassas GOP will run a slate of three, but only have two incumbents this cycle, Harrover and Aveni. At a convention, if there are more than three seeking nomination, she’d be a strong candiate. In the General, she would run strong too.

12. Andy Harrover said on 16 Feb 2009 at 8:30 am:

I haven’t talked to Tim about it but I would be surprised if he was interested in a delegate seat. The picture on the city side is very murky. Sheryl has been a favorite to run for some time but has stuck with the School Board. She would be a strong candidate in the general. Given what happened in the presidential election, I think the real action will be during the general.

13. James Young said on 16 Feb 2009 at 11:45 am:

Well, “FOIA,” I wouldn’t presume to address any judge by his first name in a public forum, even one who is a good friend, a former colleague, and my sons’ godfather. But your little bit of unverifiable pretentiousness aside, I wonder why you would want to pick that kind of fight? I have a pretty good idea as to how it happened, with pretty good information, I should think. And unlike you, I don’t imply unverifiable intimacy or knowledge. Is anything I said untrue? Wasn’t it widely reported that Jackson Miller championed his elevation?

Were others involved? Most certainly. I suspect Paul Nichols (whom I have come to know through Judge Alston) had a large role in the Democrat caucus, particularly since he is a personal friend of the Judge’s, and particularly among those Democrat Senators who may have been dubious. I also have a pretty good idea of the political dynamics, i.e. Northern Virginia seat, with only NoVA alternatives being a Loudoun liberal practitioner and an Arlington liberal judge.

Any other unverifiable pearls of wisdom you care to offer?

14. manassasinsider said on 16 Feb 2009 at 12:09 pm:

This is poster by the original manassasinsider, not the previous post by manassas insider.

manassas insider, I concur with John Galt on the Mrs. Bass part. It is my understanding that she is very fond of and a supporter Jacksons. Dance and Demeria - well that may be a different story.

15. Solar Cycle said on 16 Feb 2009 at 12:16 pm:

Didn’t Tim Demeria just get elected to the school board in the same cycle as Kermit Dance? So either one would be running for a new position a year or so after just being elected. Not a good look.

Of course, Jeannette Rishell is starting to look like Harold Stassen; glad I’m not the Democrats!

16. freedom said on 16 Feb 2009 at 3:31 pm:

Barack’s recent flub-ups (and worse) haven’t helped the lower level Dem candidacies a lot…some may even be switching parties. :)

17. John Galt said on 16 Feb 2009 at 5:31 pm:

“Didn’t Tim Demeria just get elected to the school board in the same cycle as Kermit Dance?”

No. He is up for re-election next cycle. He was elected in the same cycle as Harrover and Aveni. The conservative option for school board that year was Rick Bookwalter, a fine gentleman. A Navy vet. An Airline pilot. I think he would have made a very good school board member.

Tim is a liberal. Maybe not a full-on, drool-dripping liberal, but on the liberal continuum, he’s closer the Che’ than I am.

I hope he runs, and defeats that underqualified also-ran who is Rishell. I mean, how many times do you need to be rejected, before you get the message” Jeanette, we don’t want you to represent us. You can’t go to Liberal Activist School (she did) and throw that out there as your main qualification. Sure, you campaign hard. Easy to do when “Ed” is working, paying the bills. You might want to actually try get tinginvolved in Manassas Park Politics. Aren’t you ashamed that your home district has the highest taxes in all of Virginia? Aren’t you ashamed that your local city government is out-of-control and your local PD is beating legal immigrants? Nope, too local. Too mundane. She’d rather work on transportation issues in Hamptton Rhodes. We might have a Hurricane, and have all of those people “stuck” so cloce to a Navy base that they can”t get relief. Nope. She’d rather you sit in traffic on I-66. She’d rather bank her election on demonstrably FALSE mailers talking about how Miller “voted himself a pay increase” when she was talking about per-diem, and Miller wasn’t even on the committee that voted for it.

I hope Democrat voters send Jeanette a message: No Thanks Loser Liberal Crazy Lady. We are done betting on sure losers. You may get a lot of money from Ed and Act Blue, but none from me.

I say this in response to the faux “ManassasInsider” who claims that Cheryl Bass will run as a Democrat or Independent. Maybe Cheryl isn’t closer to Reagen on your scale, but she is on mine. I also know her to be a very loyal supporter of local Republicans. She’s also smart politically. Taken together I would guess she’s content to stay on school board, controling over half of the Manassas General Fund, or make a run for council, where she would be a force to be reckoned with.

18. Solar Cycle said on 16 Feb 2009 at 6:26 pm:

JG-

Thanks for the info on Demeria. I can see the marquee “Demeria vs. Rishell-liberal on liberal cagematch!” Then again, can two pacifists participate in a cagematch? Hmmm.

I also agree with you on Sheryl Bass; she is a loyal City Republican (and a friend). Too many folks, here and elsewhere, believe if you are not as conservative as Newt G., you are not a real R and should be cast out. That type of thinking causes Democrats to win elections.

19. Anonymous said on 16 Feb 2009 at 7:24 pm:

Your love affair with Ms. bass notwithstanding, I remember her well when the council was looking to fill Millers seat when he went to house of delegates, you may want to run the tape on that performance and see how she sunk deeper and deeper under the spot light with inane comments like “maybe the rich can pay more taxes” when asked how she would approach a budget shortfall . . . she hangs with the unity in community crowd and we don’t need any more of them in this town.

20. Manassasman said on 16 Feb 2009 at 11:08 pm:

I don’t think Demeria wants any part of Miller. He could beat Rishell in a primary but Jackson would crush him in November. By the way Solar Cycle, I advise you not to call Demeria a pacifist to his face, I don’t think he is your typical cowering liberal.

21. woodbridgevtr said on 24 Feb 2009 at 4:42 pm:

52nd should go over. The voters seem to be tired of the spoiled prepy and might not care for him funding his wife with party money. There seems to be a conflict there that most R voters will question. The d’s have Brown, who rumor has it, is trying to get a payoff to withdraw. He evidently can be bought and has named his price. The amount is over 40 pieces of silver. Then they have the preacher, Dr. Torian. Who knows how the voters will react to a man of God. And lastly they have Mr. Hodge who was out but now is back in. He seems to be a wild card in this race. I don’t know much about him other than he is a former marine and a retired Secret Service officer. It seems any of these three can be presented better than the wife of Frederick.

22. FOIA said on 27 Feb 2009 at 2:30 pm:

Here’s a question: Why did Jeff Frederick call Luke Torian twice begging Torian to run as a Republican.. Looks like Amy is Jeff’s second choice. Torian is running in the D primary against a local disaster, Chris Brown, and a former secret service agent on the presidential detail Mike Hodge.

Views: 1957