Rush to Bad Judgment

By Greg L | 17 February 2009 | National Politics | 19 Comments

Guest Post by Sanford D. Horn

Congress and Barack Obama have mastered hurry up and wait to an art form; but it’s an art form that should rankle the American people to their core.

Obama wasted taxpayer dollars giving campaign-esque speeches in Elkhart, IN, East Peoria, IL and Fort Myers, FL demanding that Congress pass the so-called stimulus package as quickly as possible to meet his self-imposed deadline. The rush was no doubt to avoid having the details reach the light of day as the American people would wretch in horror if they knew how their hard-earned money was being given away, thus mortgaging their grandchildren’s futures.

The rush was such that not one member of either house of Congress could legitimately claim they actually read the 1000-plus page bill cover to cover. Any member who makes such a claim is a liar and should be removed from their cushy-tushy position for perjury. At a rate of roughly 650 words per minute, it would take 12 continuous hours to pour through the monstrosity, according to Mike Huckabee.

That a vote was taken on such a behemoth of a piece of legislation is irresponsible at the very least and perhaps even criminal. Every member who voted for this albatross should be recalled on the grounds of misconduct, misappropriation of taxpayer funds and irresponsibility. How can anyone in good conscience vote for something they have not read. Who’s to say some Congressional aide didn’t slip some language into the bill declaring war on Canada or giving voting rights to birds?

Shrieker of the House Nancy Pelosi and seven of her Democratic colleagues were in a rush to leave on their so-called working junket to Italy. Not flying a commercial airplane, the eight Democrats could have delayed their taxpayer funded flight at least a couple of days in order to actually do their jobs and read the bill prior to voting for it instead of automatically knee-jerk liberally voting blindly on the largest spending bill in the nation’s history. More irresponsibility.

And on top of all the insanity, after the rush job by Congress to get the crap package to Obama’s desk, there it sits until Tuesday, February 17 at the earliest when he will probably sign it – in Denver, using more taxpayer money. That is the epitome of irresponsibility – especially when Congress could have taken three or four more days to read the document that will irrevocably alter the economics of the United States.

Adding insult to injury, literally, were the unbelievably arrogant remarks made on the Senate floor by Charles (Chucky Schmucky) Schumer (D-NY). “And let me say this to all of the chattering class that so much focuses on those little, tiny, yes, porky amendments, the American people really don’t care.

Apparently more than 1,500 people cared, and cared enough send bags of pork rinds to Schumer’s office at the behest of Leland Conway of 630-WLAP radio in Lexington, KY. Kudos to his listeners! We the aggravated and insulted should continue this effort. Schumer’s DC office address is 313 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510. The telephone number to his office is 202-224-6542. Send pork rinds, call and express your anger and displeasure in Schumer, but be polite and take the high road. Messages must be sent and efforts to defeat these scoundrels must occur in earnest.

Sanford D. Horn is a writer and political consultant living in Alexandria, VA.

1. rebelreggie said on 17 Feb 2009 at 5:13 pm:

This is interesting - click on your own state and see what “Sugar Daddy” Government is planning to give to you…

Click on your state to see some of the projects included in this bill. I found it to be very interesting and informative. Also you can see that a lot of city’s &towns are not listed. I wonder if the leaders of the missing city’s and towns are just “not on the ball” so to speak and did not submit a wish list?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Find projects by state or territory

Alaska (46 projects)
    Alabama (318 projects)
    Arkansas (199 projects)
    Arizona (743 projects)
    California (1971 projects)
    Colorado (201 projects)
    Connecticut (449 projects)
    Washington, D.C. (8 projects)
    Delaware (7 projects)
    Maine (72 projects)
    Michigan (782 projects)
    Minnesota (335 projects)
    Missouri (403 projects)
    Mississippi (552 projects)
    Montana (57 projects)
    North Carolina (319 projects)
    North Dakota (61 projects)
    Nebraska (154 projects)
    New Jersey (261 projects)
    New Mexico (215 projects)
    Nevada (163 projects)
    New York (289 projects)
    Ohio (847 projects)
    Oklahoma (223 projects)
    Oregon (159 projects)
    Pennsylvania (352 projects)
    Puerto Rico (340 projects)
    Rhode Island (116 projects)
    South Carolina (271 projects)
    South Dakota (30 projects)
    Tennessee (103 projects)
    Texas (1240 projects)
    Utah (298 projects)
    Virginia (400 projects)
    Vermont (61 projects)
    Washington (368 projects)
    Wisconsin (358 projects)
    West Virginia (1 projects)
    Wyoming (85 projects) http://www.stimuluswatch.org/project/by_state

2. 999 said on 17 Feb 2009 at 6:07 pm:

Forget the port rinds. Send the Schmuck Schumer the whole pig (with an apple in it’s mouth.) The pig should be kept at room tempature (72 deg.) preferably for 2 weeks before sending it to him.

3. Mighty Putty said on 17 Feb 2009 at 8:21 pm:

Another excellent piece, Sanford.

4. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 18 Feb 2009 at 7:11 am:

Nothing excellent about it. To try to pretend this is Obama’s baby does us all a historical disservice. Bush put it together and did the initial hard sell to the American people. Both parties are in collusion.

The GOP, secure in the fact that the bill will pass, is putting on a nice little pantomime for you guys now which apparently you’re willing and eager to buy into.

5. FOIA said on 18 Feb 2009 at 1:37 pm:

Geez, Lindsey Graham just called fro nationalizing the banks, you know we’re in deep doo-doo when an arch conservative talks about nationalizing the banks

6. Sanford Horn said on 18 Feb 2009 at 1:55 pm:

Three brief rebuttals:
    (1) Thank you Mighty Putty.
    (2) Both Parties (good moniker by the way, because I think it’s true): Get your facts straight - Bush put this so-called stimulus debacle in motion with the bank bailout. This was the first of many bad steps along the current path toward socialism. This current monstrosity is more Pelosi and Reid’s baby than Obummer’s, he just pushed for it because of his socialist bent.
    (3) FOIA: As much as I like Sen. Graham, I don’t think I would classify him as an arch conservative. But you are correct - nationalizing the banks would be an unmitigated disaster.

OK, that’s it for now.

7. Johnson said on 18 Feb 2009 at 2:36 pm:

I wonder how true this is?

8. Johnson said on 18 Feb 2009 at 2:43 pm:

Where have I heard this before? I’m just sayin’….

9. CONVA said on 18 Feb 2009 at 7:35 pm:

Time for the revolution, lock and load!

10. freedom said on 18 Feb 2009 at 7:44 pm:

Surely we can do better than that, Conva…don’t ya think?? :(

11. DPortM said on 19 Feb 2009 at 10:53 am:

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.

Alexander Tyler

12. DPortM said on 19 Feb 2009 at 11:19 am:

An Employer’s Letter to Employees:

To All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company and, more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn’t pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country.

However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interest.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that, for every business owner, there is a Back Story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You’ve seen my big home at last year’s Christmas party. I’m sure; all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life. However, what you don’t see is the BACK STORY:

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a 300 square foot studio apartment for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Ramen Pride noodles because every dollar I saved went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective transmission. I didn’t have time to date. Often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business — hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest $50K a year and spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the Nordstrom’s for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the discount store extracting any clothing item that didn’t look like it was birthed in the 70’s. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don’t. There is no “off” button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden — the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations… you never realize the Back Story and the sacrifices I’ve made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn’t. The people who overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed more than a decade of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has is benefits but the price I’ve paid is steep and not without wounds.

Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don’t pay enough. I have state taxes. Federal taxes. Property taxes. Sales and use taxes. Payroll taxes. Workers compensation taxes. Unemployment taxes. Taxes on taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On Oct 15th, I wrote a check to the US Treasury for $288,000 for quarterly taxes. You know what my “stimulus” check was? Zero.. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 14 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or the single mother, sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next welfare check? Obviously, government feels the latter is the real economic stimulus of this country.

The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your paycheck you’d quit and you wouldn’t work here. I mean, why should you? That’s nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree, which is why your job is in jeopardy.

Here is what many of you don’t understand… to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had suddenly, the government mandated to me that I didn’t need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that $288,000 into the Washington black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and generated substantial economic growth. My employees would have enjoyed the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But - you can forget it now.

When you have a comatose man on the verge of death, you don’t defibrillate and shock his thumb, thinking that will bring him back to life, do you? Or, do you defibrillate his heart? Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate it, not kill it. Suddenly, the power brokers in Washington believe the poor of America are the essential drivers of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth; this is the type of change YOU can keep.

So where am I going with all this?

It’s quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I’ll fire you. I’ll fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child’s future. Frankly, it isn’t my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I’m done. I’m done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work, and to provide jobs, will be destroyed and, with it, will be my citizenship.

So, if you lose your job, it won’t be at the hands of the economy; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steam-rolled the constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about….

Signed, THE BOSS

13. 999 said on 19 Feb 2009 at 1:50 pm:

Sanford Horn said on 18 Feb 2009 at 1:55 pm: Flag comment

Graham is nothing more than Juan McKain’s lap dog. Just look at any news video that has McKain in it. Right there at his side or in close proximity you will see Lindsey. McKain doesn’t even need a leash.

14. Sanford Horn said on 19 Feb 2009 at 2:00 pm:

999’s comment is proof positive that Graham is NOT an arch conservative, as clearly, McCain isn’t either. Wake up and smell the decaf.

15. Pat.Herve said on 19 Feb 2009 at 8:08 pm:

IF we pay no taxes, as the boss in the letter above states, who pays for our schools? Who pays for our military?

Don’t you remeber how effective the Bush stimulus was - $600 per person, it did not even make the economy blip. Paulsen gave money to the banks, and we still hear credit freeze.

I want my taxes reduced just like any one else does, I want more money in my pocket. I do not want to pay for services that I do not get, but the reality is that to have government services, at the level that we want them, it costs money. Why are third world countries third world - because most of them have low income (taxes) and do not have the money to spend on infrastructure.

I am surprised that the boss did not mention the increase in health care at his company - that is the stealth tax that is rising out of control.

16. freedom said on 20 Feb 2009 at 6:47 am:

…the point is pat, reduce taxes and in so doing, promote business, create jobs (not just temporary work) and through all that, increase revenue to the government.

17. Wolverine said on 22 Feb 2009 at 1:05 am:

Pat.Herve — Third World countries are often “third world” because too much of the available funding goes corruptly into the pockets of the leaders and their special cronies in and out of government instead of being spent on the genuine needs of the populace. That even happens very often with regard to outside development funds. It’s been going on for more than half a century. No telling when it will ever stop. It has become almost a way of life.

18. Johnson said on 22 Feb 2009 at 9:10 am:

The leading sources of income in Yemen are: piracy and international aid. They produce/export nothing. Sam Kinnison said it best, “You can’t grow food in the desert!” Yet, many of these third world countries are way overpopulated because of foreign aid and religions that preach huge families. Would the middle east be so crowded if oil weren’t our fuel of choice? When the oil runs out or is replaced, people will starve to death. We saw it start when oil reached $120 a barrel. It will continue as we reduce our foreign aid because of the economy.

Too many people, not enough resources. The third world will starve itself back down to sustainable populations. The countries that have the means to feed their own populations will survive. This is the reason that we have to build walls and be cautious about who we allow to immigrate here. The liberals want to use socialism and invite the whole third world to America, then use our tax dollars to feed, employ, medicate and educate them. We don’t need uneducated criminals. We need hardworking citizens. Residing in America is a privilege. Citizenship must be earned and rewarded, not given away as an amnesty for criminals.

It is incumbent upon the rest of the world to rise to our standards. We must not allow them to drag us down to their level through bullying and guilt. Our leaders must start putting our interests first. The liberals call this “nativism”. I don’t see why that’s a bad attitude. I’m proud to be an American and will defend us to the death. Europe is digging in and expelling illegal aliens. We must do the same if we are to survive as a culture and a nation. I would invite anyone who places their interests above our nation’s interests to leave our country and go help others.

19. AWCheney said on 22 Feb 2009 at 11:14 am:

freedom said on 20 Feb 2009 at 6:47 am:

It only works, freedom, if you reduce spending at the same time. GW obviously was never taught how to balance a checkbook.