There’s a chance to ensure that all of those stimulus jobs created by federal largesse flowing to the Commonwealth aren’t going to end up paying salaries for illegal aliens in Virginia, but you’re going to have to act quickly.
ACTION NEEDED FROM SAVE THE OLD DOMINION
Because of your previous phone calls, emails, and faxes, Delegate Bob Marshall’s budget amendment 4-6.05 requiring that “all political subdivisions and state agencies of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall use the E-Verify System operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration to ascertain the work status of all new employees.” passed on the House floor. Unfortunately our work isn’t quite done.
As early as next week, the “Conference Committee” will be meeting to finalize the State budget. It is essential that the language requiring the use of E-Verify remains in the final budget that is passed in order to ensure that taxpayer-funded jobs are awarded only to American citizens and legal residents.
To achieve this outcome, it is imperative that we contact the members of the “Conference Committee” and urge them to vote for the mandatory use of E-Verify by all state and local governments for every new hire.
Please note that the list of House Budget Conferee’s is accurate. However, with the exception of Senator Colgan, last year’s Senate Chair of the committee, the list of the Senate Budget Conferee’s is tentative. Based on past Senate Budget Conference Committee membership, we have been advised that the committee will likely include the other members listed below. If there are any changes, we will inform you right away.
Senator Colgan and Delegate Putney, the Chairmen of the “Conference Committee,” need to be inundated with your faxes, e-mails, and phone calls. Nevertheless, all twelve members of the committee also need to be contacted.
Below are the committee members, their contacts, and talking points on E-Verify.
SENATE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
THERE IS A CENTRAL FAX NUMBER TO FAX THE SENATORS. YOU WILL NEED A SEPARATE COVER LETTER FOR EACH SENATOR AND THE FAX NUMBER IS (804) 698-7651
- Senator Charles J. Colgan (D) - Senate District 29 Manassas (804) 698-7529 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator William C. Wampler, Jr. (R) - Senate District 40 Bristol (804) 698-7540 email: email@example.com
- Senator Walter A. Stosch (R) - Senate District 12 Glen Allen (804) 698-7512 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator R. Edward Houck (D) - Senate District 17 Spotsylvania (804) 698-7517 email: email@example.com
- Senator Janet D. Howell (D) - Senate District 32 Reston (804) 698-7532 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senator Richard L. Saslaw (D) - Senate District 35 Springfield (804) 698-7535 email: email@example.com
HOUSE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Delegate Lacey E. Putney (Chairman) (I) - House District 19 Bedford (804) 698-1019 Fax (804) 698-6719 email: DellPutney@house.virginia.go
- Delegate M. Kirkland Cox (R) - House District 66 Colonial Heights (804) 698-1066 Fax (804) 698-6766 email: DelKCox@house.virginia.gov
- Delegate Phillip A. Hamilton (R) - House District 93 Newport News (804) 698-1093 Fax (804) 698-6793 email: DelPHamilton@house.virginia.gov
- Delegate Clarke N. Hogan (R) - House District 60 South Boston (804) 698-1060 Fax (804) 698-6760 email: DelCHogan@house.virginia.gov
- Delegate Johnny S. Joannou (D) - House District 79 Portsmouth (804) 698-1079 Fax (804) 698-6779 email: DelJJoannou@house.virginia.gov
- Delegate Beverly J. Sherwood (R) - House District 29 Winchester (804) 698-1029 Fax (804) 698-6729 email: DelBSherwood@house.virginia.gov
TALKING POINTS and FACTS ON E-VERIFY
- We insist on protections for American Workers and legal immigrants and E-Verify will accomplish that.
- It is against federal law to hire illegal immigrants. E-Verify will help Virginia comply with the law.
- E-Verify is free and has no fiscal impact on the state budget.
- Thank you in advance for voting YES for the use of E-Verify in hiring publicly funded employees.
According to the Department of Homeland Security:
- An employer who verifies work authorization under E-Verify has established a rebuttable presumption that it has not knowingly hired an unauthorized alien. Participation in the program does not provide a “safe harbor” from worksite enforcement, however.
- E-Verify helps U.S. employers maintain a legal workforce.
- E-Verify is free and is the best means available for determining employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. It verifies a new hire’s employment eligibility, not his or her immigration status.
- E-Verify is 99.6% accurate and 96.1% of qualified employees are cleared within seconds of a query.E-Verify is used to check workplace eligibility after, not before, an employee is hired - so it protects workers that are currently employed.
The opinions expressed here are solely the views of the author, and not representative of the position of any organization, political party, doughnut shop, knitting guild, or waste recycling facility, but may be correctly attributed to the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy. If anything in the above article has offended you, please click here to receive an immediate apology.