A Temporary Setback For Rack n’ Roll

By Greg L | 15 March 2009 | Rack & Roll Scandal | 30 Comments

InsideNova is reporting this weekend that a U.S. District Court ruled against Dave Ruttenberg in his lawsuit against Manassas Park for the way he was abused by local law enforcement and the city government. I’ve skimmed through the decision, and it is an unmitigated load of garbage issued by a judge who clearly displays the same pattern of bias that resulted in his earlier reversal by the Fourth Circuit.

I spoke with Dave Ruttenberg, and this is not the end of this story.  Stay tuned for another round of outrageous stories about what the City of Manassas Park has been up to, because between now and the filing of an appeal, there’s no reason why I should continue to sit on the information I have about this story…

The judge’s contention here was that the raid by dozens of police officers with weapons drawn on Rack n’ Roll under the guise of an ABC inspection was somehow “reasonable.”  If you want to see for yourself a video of the raid can be found here, and here is a great post on it.  If this “inspection” of the premises for the purposes of determining whether Rack n’ Roll was in compliance with their alcoholic beverage license is supposedly “reasonable”, then having a twenty man SWAT team ransack your house to see if your dog is properly licensed would similarly meet this new standards of “reasonable.”

Pathetic.

1. jay said on 15 Mar 2009 at 11:37 pm:

I’m glad that place was closed, it was a drug den and an eyesore on the community.

2. AWCheney said on 16 Mar 2009 at 12:06 am:

Oh really Jay, and what is your evidence of that…your employer, perhaps?

3. AWCheney said on 16 Mar 2009 at 12:07 am:

By the way, say hi to Frank for me.

4. me-n-u said on 16 Mar 2009 at 4:29 am:

Good luck Dave in your fight for justice!

5. Greg L said on 16 Mar 2009 at 8:46 am:

Jay, you obviously haven’t been paying much attention. To the extent there were problems there, you can thank the police department for causing them. When police are bringing drug dealers in to conduct buys with undercover officers, it’s pretty hard to blame the establishment for what happens!

6. anonymous said on 16 Mar 2009 at 8:47 am:

That’s “Boss” Frank.

7. Loudoun Insider said on 16 Mar 2009 at 8:50 am:

I’ve been waiting for Rack N Roll news, but unfortunately this is not what i was hoping for. I hope Dave perserveres and succeeds. He was absolutely screwed over.

8. madmom said on 16 Mar 2009 at 10:08 am:

Greg,
    Spill what you’ve got - you’ve been sitting on that information for way too long and it’s time everyone knows exactly what went on with the City and it’s employees. Good luck, Dave.

9. Old Manassas said on 16 Mar 2009 at 10:14 am:

The paper said the raid was conducted by 38 officers. I thought by your math it was 90 officers. Big difference between what is represented in court and what is reported here. Why would you sit on any info you’ve never been shy before.

Keep beating the dead horse.

10. madmom said on 16 Mar 2009 at 10:24 am:

Oh, and this time it won’t be edited to death.

11. Pat.Herve said on 16 Mar 2009 at 1:53 pm:

I have never set foot in the place.

From what I have heard, there was drug use in the place, and management chose to ignore it. Nuff Said - close em down.

Now, if you want to talk about legalizing drugs - that is a different conversation. If someone wants to smoke a little pot now and again, let them - tax it, and move on. It would remove money from the drug lords - and solve many problems both here and abroad.

12. AWCheney said on 16 Mar 2009 at 2:20 pm:

Pat, you’ve heard wrong. As Greg has pointed out, the only drug use in the place was precipitated by the Manassas Park Police, allegedly as stings…and it was NOT IGNORED by the management!

There was a great deal at play there, and all of it was designed specifically to run a, up to that point, successful businessman out of town so that his airtight lease would become available. I am hoping that Greg will soon lay out the REAL story, in its entirety, on these threads. Dave Ruttenberg deserves the truth to be put out there…and the City of Manassas Park deserves the consequences thereof.

13. Former Officer said on 16 Mar 2009 at 4:19 pm:

Greg said: “I’ve skimmed through the decision, and it is an unmitigated load of garbage issued by a judge who clearly displays the same pattern of bias that resulted in his earlier reversal by the Fourth Circuit.”

You’ve skimmed the decision but you’ve come to this conclusion? So I guess all the judges are in collusion with the police and everyone else looking to shut the drug/fight den down? The place was a PITA for local law enforcement and needs to remain shut down.

14. Chuck S. said on 16 Mar 2009 at 4:36 pm:

Being a local resident, I’ve never stopped into the place (the only establishment I venture into in that strip mall is the drycleaners). So I can’t necessarily comment on what is the right or wrong decision, however, I can definitely say consistently, for the past few months I’ve noticed a great deal of noise coming from there almost every weekend (rarely on the weekday) well after MP’s designated zoning for live music and other noise.

Either way, it’s definitely no an establishment I would ever find myself in, so either way, I wouldn’t shed a tear if it went (along with a good majority of either businesses there).

15. AWCheney said on 16 Mar 2009 at 5:34 pm:

Chuck, it’s been under new management/ownership for quite some time now. As you said, you’ve been disturbed for the past few months…I suspect that you had no previous problems of that sort while it was owned by David Ruttenberg (he’s been out of there for more than a few months). You can also thank the MPPD for that.

Perhaps you should all check out the Rack n’ Roll threads on this blog:

16. AWCheney said on 16 Mar 2009 at 5:44 pm:

By the way, I should also add that you should all check out those threads, which include some of the evidence, before you participate in the continued smearing of a good man’s reputation.

17. Billy Bob said on 16 Mar 2009 at 6:05 pm:

AWCheney, you can’t be serious! All of a sudden, you are concerned
    about the smearing of a good man’s reputation??? You are unbelievable!

18. James Young said on 16 Mar 2009 at 7:19 pm:

I know you’re concerned about this, Greg, but I find it difficult to believe that Ruttenberg’s attorney didn’t get all of the evidence in as a response to (what I presume to have been) a summary judgment motion.

If there is any disputed material evidence — and I find it difficult to believe that interpretation of a videotape is not something that should go to a jury — summary judgment is fairly easily reversed.

And Billy Bob, you know from whence you speak.

19. AWCheney said on 16 Mar 2009 at 8:28 pm:

Two peas in a pod, huh Jimmy…or is it a single pea?

If you’re referring to Stevie Chapman, my definition of a “good man” is not someone who intentionally moves himself into a position (literally) to smear, not only a truly good man, but a local icon only to further his, and others, personal agenda…without regard to the actual residents of that district. He got exactly what he deserved….well, perhaps not ALL that he deserved.

20. James Young said on 16 Mar 2009 at 10:30 pm:

I wasn’t referring to anyone in particular. But I take heart in your rejoinder: it disproves my belief that you lack a conscience.

Bear this in mind, Billy Bob: Hypocrisy is the tribute that vice pays to virtue.

21. AWCheney said on 17 Mar 2009 at 12:58 am:

Your problem, Jimmy, is that you’re just TOO transparent…and tend to be extremely repetitive. I’ve been wondering where you’ve been keeping yourself and, more perplexingly, why you’ve been behaving yourself when you do show up. I just knew that you couldn’t keep it up. Using a pseudonym nowadays? I’ve heard that you’ve done that before.

22. jay said on 17 Mar 2009 at 1:38 am:

Do you own the place AWCheney? I’m not understanding your attempts to discredit everybody’s personal opinions of this place. I have no idea who “Frank” is BTW, maybe you can enlighten me. The place was a dump. I’ve been there before and it’s my opinion it was a dump. It appears that it is the same opinion of others on this board, and judges, and LE members. Just deal with it, your side lost the trials in the court and the trials in pubic opinion.

23. AWCheney said on 17 Mar 2009 at 2:40 am:

No Jay, I had no ownership in the place…which shows just how much you know about it. And furthermore, the MPPD have been trying to paint Dave Ruttenberg as a drug dealer for nearly 20 years unsuccessfully (meaning, as hard they’ve tried to manufacture evidence against him, the best they could do is make sure he was slandered throughout the legal community), as certain officers themselves have been neck deep in it. I’ll give you an example, for which actual evidence exists (affidavit of witness).

One of the incidents that got David in trouble with the local constabulary was when he heard about a major dealer in the Park expecting a large shipment, and he reported it to the police. The police reaction was to send an officer to the dealer to warn him that a local businessman had dropped a dime on him (there was a witness to this), with enough information about the businessman to cause David to fear for his life. It was David’s policy, from the time he had Jerry’s Pizza there in that shopping center through his years at Rack n’ Roll, to contact the police whenever he heard of any drug dealing going on in the area…information that was seldom, if ever, acted upon. Obviously, he was making himself a nuisance that somebody wanted to silence.

I’ve seen all this evidence myself. I just hope that Greg is able to get David to put this out here so that everyone else can see it as well. Hold on to your shorts, Jay, if he does. If you’re part of the City government, you’ll see what they’ve gotten you involved in. If you’re a resident of the City of Manassas Park, God help you.

24. anonymous said on 17 Mar 2009 at 10:44 am:

And then there’s El Vaquero. Can anyone tell me why that place is still in business?

25. AWCheney said on 17 Mar 2009 at 7:39 pm:

Probably because they don’t annoy MPPD by reporting crimes.

26. Chuck S. said on 17 Mar 2009 at 10:53 pm:

Hahah, I’ve always suspected “El Taco” of being a front.

How shady is Casablanca anyways?

27. jay said on 19 Mar 2009 at 1:19 am:

I’m not a resident of the City or Park, and am not affiliated with the City Government. However, I have been to that pool hall and it is my opinion it was a dive.

28. bonscott1976 said on 25 Mar 2009 at 11:43 am:

i’ve been to rack n roll a few times over the years before all this B.S. started. and the moment i walked through the door i got this feeling….like…eeewwww. that’s the best i can describe it…lol.

i remember there being an older gentleman behind the bar sitting on a stool like that chef guy paul prudhomme…he had grey hair, kinda fat?….

as far as the el vaquero, i know the guy that owns it, or one of the guys, his names Manuel. he runs the one in Orange Va, damn good food….damn good food….

29. Hamburgler007 said on 13 Apr 2009 at 3:26 pm:

A little late in responding, but the bar being a “dive” is irrelevant. The MPPD systematically ruined this guys livelihood. Even if you didn’t care for the bar, allowing the local gov’t to get away with it endangers the community by setting a precedent that they can shut someone down as they please without repercussions.

30. 9NiNE said on 4 Jun 2009 at 8:35 am:

aint been there in a hot minute..The place got played out for me after 02′ …GOOD LUCK…::::Ghost “9″

Views: 2013