TEA Party at McCoart!

By Greg L | 15 April 2009 | National Politics, Prince William County | 43 Comments

From noon till 2PM today, bring your signs and yourself to the McCoart building and protest the irresponsible spending by this administration and Congress.  Yeah, the weather won’t be great, but your grandchildren will thank you!

WOODBRIDGE, VA: Hundreds of American citizens frustrated with the fiscal irresponsibility exercised by Congress over the past few years are poised to descend on the Prince William County Government Center on Wednesday, April 15th to voice their outrage and frustration at their Federal Government. From noon to 2:00 PM they will hear from local leaders heading up the fight for the responsible use of taxpayer resources and engage in a demonstration calling for a stop to the outright theft of their wealth in an effort to undermine the foundations of our republic and put Congress on notice that they are collectively traitors to the principles this country was founded under.

“Congress and the President are spending more taxpayer money now than we have spent in the entire history of the United States from countries like China to whom our grandchildren will be paying interest for their entire lives. It is utterly ridiculous that they feel we can borrow our way out of debt,” noted Local Taxed Enough Already Organizer Laurel West. “I haven’t ever gotten involved in a political movement before, but I am so outraged with the behavior of Congress and the President that I simply cannot afford to remain silent. This is reckless and irresponsible beyond imagination, and Americans like me can’t afford to sit back and let this continue.

Chairman Corey Stewart, one of the speakers at the event, noted how many local governments are demonstrating the example that Congress should be following. “Prince William County cut taxes and spending during this time of economic uncertainty, strengthening our financial position and poising the county for a strong comeback when the economy recovers. These decisions at the federal level complicate our efforts tremendously, as this profligate waste of public wealth can only delay the recovery we are hoping for. Spending trillions of dollars the federal government doesn’t have is only going to depress long-term economic recovery because at some point this money will have to be repaid, and the interest alone on this massive borrowing will be ridiculously unaffordable to the American people.”

Delegate Bob Marshall, another speaker at the event noted “I don’t see how some members of Congress can square their oath of office with the US Constitution and with the so-called stimulus bill they approved. But then again, perhaps they didn’t read the stimulus bill or the US Constitution given what they want to do and what they have failed to do.”

The protest at the McCoart Center is one of thousands of such “Taxed Enough Already (TEA) Parties” being held on the deadline for taxpayers to file their federal income taxes being held across the country. In Virginia, “TEA Parties” have been announced in Abingdon, Charlottesville, Franklin County, Glouchester, Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, Montross, Newport News, Reston, Richmond, Roanoke, Staunton, Urbanna, Virginia Beach and Winchester as well. Organized independently by citizen activists, these reflect the growing outrage by the electorate against the reckless and irresponsible actions of Congress and the President.

You cannot borrow your way out of debt, or into prosperity.  We all need to be there to add our voices demanding that our federal government exhibit some semblance of the fiscal responsibility we are all forced to undertake!

1. KFD said on 15 Apr 2009 at 7:45 am:

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

2. starryflights said on 15 Apr 2009 at 9:23 am:

Many English words have multiple meanings. I think it is clear to every sane person what this Tea Party is all about. Only those that are opposed to people standing up and voicing what they believe (only when it defers from their views), would denigrate this Party by pushing, playing and promoting their own dig against it. This just shows how desperate the Left is and how worried they are that this movement might actually stick and grow.

I have my sign ready to go. I will be at the Party.

3. starryflights said on 15 Apr 2009 at 9:24 am:

The post that I was answering is now gone. Just in case those new readers don’t understand my post.

4. Scott said on 15 Apr 2009 at 12:50 pm:

I have some pictures up already. It was nice to see so many people there. Mothers and kids, young and old, stood around in the cold drizzle to make their voices heard. The setup for the speakers was amateurish. No sound reenforcement, no “stage” so there was just a crowd you couldn’t get through around someone you couldn’t see or hear. We could do much better next time, myself included. My signage plan was amateurish and my camera lens got wet almost immediately. Sorry to all of the cool protesters whose pictures I couldn’t include. But I’ve sent BVBL the pictures I have that turned out.

5. starryflights said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:07 pm:

Back from the Tea Party. Not a bad turn out with the cold and rain. Saw Greg there, but did not say hi. I think DD and I had the best signs. Glad we went. Nice to be home and warm again.

6. Big Dog said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:10 pm:

FYI - There is a Teapot Museum in Sparta, NC -
    “Steeped In History” - clever? You can check out
    on the web.
    Hope everyone who went out to “party” makes it
    back home safely and can enjoy a warm cup –
    of tea.

7. Scott said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:15 pm:

Here are some pictures. I sent them to admin/bvbl also.

8. JM said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:19 pm:

Work prevented me from being there, but I do want to thank those of you who did attend the tea party. Your efforts are truly appreciated.

9. JM said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:25 pm:

This is completely unrelated to the topic, but it looks like Jeannette Rishell will be providing comic relief for a third time.

Rishell Announces Campaign For House
    For Immediate Release
    April 14, 2009

Manassas Park, VA - Jeanette Rishell announced today she will run once again for Virginia’s 50th District House of Delegates seat. Rishell said President Barack Obama’s landmark victories in Manassas, Virginia and the country showed her she should run again.

I can’t wait to see the goofy things this hapless candidate will do this time around.

10. starryflights said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:46 pm:

Scott, thanks for the photos. DD and I are in one. I didn’t listen to the politicians stump. I would have been much more impressed to see them standing along side me, in the cold and rain, with a sign in their hands.

11. Chicken Little said on 15 Apr 2009 at 3:12 pm:

Scott it looks like it was a good turn out, in spite of the rain.

12. John Galt said on 15 Apr 2009 at 3:24 pm:

I was there too. Impressive turnout on a work-day afternoon, in the rain and the cold. I was also impressed with the speakers, with Bob Marshall the most impressive. I hope this movement lasts. We cannot survive as a Republic if we allow what one speaker called “troubling trends” to continue. It is time to remind the Federal Government that we are not THE United States, we are THESE United States. The Federal Government derives its power from the consent of the people, and our consent is no longer without question.

On another note, I looked at the Rishell Press release, and watched her YouTube video. Was it just me, or did she look like a female version of Max Headroom, with all the hard edits? In here quote in the MJM, she is counting on “the change in demographics” to carry her over the top. Would someone please explain how she (a white female) is “demographically different” from Judy Feder, (a white female) who voters rejected (by a huge margin), on the same day they elected Obama (a mixed African/Caucasian male) and Warner (a white male)? She also said she would “be herself” and “run a different campaign”. Oh, she means that wasn’t her that put out proven lies about Jackson Miller voting himself a payraise? She’ll run a campaign this time that won’t be so dishonest that she is condemned for it by the MJM editorial board?

My question to her: If you lose again, will you go away for good?

13. FED UP said on 15 Apr 2009 at 3:52 pm:

Scott said on 15 Apr 2009 at 1:15 pm: Flag comment

Here are some pictures. I sent them to admin/bvbl also.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Scott! GREAT photos! Looks like a great turnout!
    I agree; how convenient of NObama to hold a press conference during the tea parties. Perhaps our community organizer is getting a little nervous?

14. Anonymous said on 15 Apr 2009 at 4:51 pm:

They should have held some parties back in September when Bush and Paulson were pushing this whole thing.

15. FED UP said on 15 Apr 2009 at 6:29 pm:

Anonymous said on 15 Apr 2009 at 4:51 pm: Flag comment

Pushing what “whole thing” exactly?

16. wineplz said on 15 Apr 2009 at 7:32 pm:

I had no idea that there was a Tea Party being held in PWC! I could’ve saved myself parking and metro fare. :)

That being said, the event at Lafayette Park in DC was awesome…even when they kicked us out of the park for about 15 minutes. Now that I finally got my kids in bed, I’ll be posting about it and some of the pics I took. Look for it over at http://www.wineplz.com/2009/04/15/dc-tea-party-april-15dc-tea-party-april-15/ in about an hour or so (I’m a slow writer/editor due to my TV addiction).

17. Maureen said on 15 Apr 2009 at 7:51 pm:

The D.C. tea party was awesome! Code pink showed up and looked like a foursome of fools. Acorn also showed up in tuxedo’s and strapless evening gowns. I bet they were miserable getting wet and being cold! One guy helped them out by shaking the extra water off of his umbrella as they walked by him.
    There is another tea party in Lafayette Park on the 25th. I don’t remember the time but will get it posted.
    wineplz, maybe you have a better estimate on the number of people there, but I would say there were approximately 1,000 to 1,500 people.

Also went to the Merrifield post office tea party. That was fun and so appropriate as people mailed their taxes in.

18. FED UP said on 16 Apr 2009 at 9:03 am:

Maureen - It just figures that “code stink” would show up. They’ve nothing better to do than act like a bunch of idiots. Hope they all catch colds.

19. FOIA said on 16 Apr 2009 at 10:31 am:

Who created this big financial mess: the Rove/Cheney Administration!

20. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 16 Apr 2009 at 10:40 am:

Totally asinine.

Most of you sat by with smiles on your faces while the previous President presented phony budgets that didn’t even try to account for expenses and cut taxes at every opportunity, while expanding the Federal Government’s size and scope (and holding no one in government acountable for much of anything). Now after a Democrat takes office, you’re OUTRAGED that the nation is in such bad shape.

You enjoyed the party/orgy, then woke up with a hangover in the morning and started screaming at the cleanup crew that it’s all their fault.

This is politically motivated bull****. Which is why average Americans do not and will not take it seriously. Enjoy your “tea party” and I know darned well 95%+ of the attendees will vote Republican each November come hell or high water or lack of real ideas or candidates.

21. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 16 Apr 2009 at 10:42 am:

And for God’s sake if you voted for Bush in 2004, please stop voting for a decade or two. Buy all the teabags you want but stop voting or pretending you know your anus from a hole in the ground. Your votes, your choices have made America weaker in every way than it was 8 years ago.

22. Greg L said on 16 Apr 2009 at 11:53 am:

So what? Yes, Bush didn’t act like a fiscal conservative and was the spendthrift that teed up the ball for complete Democratic Party control to start knocking out of the park. No one is holding him up as the poster boy for fiscal discipline, although there were instances when he’d exercise some (think of the SCHIP vetoes, for example).

This CONGRESS and this PRESIDENT make any previous spendthrifts of any party look like complete pikers. We’ve added more debt in just a few short months than this country has amassed in all prior history. Babies not even born yet are going to be saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in obligations before they even take their first breath.

Under the guise of “stimulus”, we are stealing wealth from current and future generations to pay for spending on dubious programs, and told that if we won’t do this, the sky will fall. Now we’re seeing what that money is being used for — to pay multi-million dollar bonuses to the very architects of our economic problems, do road construction projects in districts that don’t have traffic congestion problems, reward undisciplined mortgagees for their bad decisions, subsidize the employment of illegal aliens and stuff the coffers of folks like ACORN.

I don’t give a rat’s patootie what the party affiliation was of anyone who supported this outrage. I want them all gone. Every last stinkin’ one of them that played a part in ramming this crap sandwich down the throats of the American people…

23. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 16 Apr 2009 at 1:35 pm:

You and many disagree with some of the spending. And some portion of it is Obama and Congress pushing their social agenda through under the guise of “stimulus” rather than fighting for it later. I get that.

But I do believe that this President deserves a chance to make things better instead of worse. I believe that he will. (Because we’re at a nadir).

Giving me hope - at least now we talk about budgets in terms of real numbers. If we’re fighting a war, we don’t pretend that it’s “off the books”. That’s step 1A towards some type of connection between our government and reality.

Step 1B is to enact regulation over the financial industry because we always have and always will bail them out after they run amok.

I don’t think that much that has changed for the worse since Obama became President. I want him to succeed.

6 years ago Democrats were up in arms about the way Bush was spending but not even acknowledging the debt that was building, pretending that we could “spend our way out of debt”. Government by oxymorons. They held demonstrations. They were convinced that he was doing harm to our nation’s future and taking money from our grandchildren’s pockets. TURNS OUT THEY WERE RIGHT.

Now it’s Republicans walking around trying to organize protests. Big deal. That protest is clearly politically motivated. It’s only targeted at bashing this President and attempting to hamstring his flexibility.

If a movement comes forth that presents a real alternative to the two parties, that draws support away from both of them, I’ll support it. I think that these tea parties are being used by Republican activists to try to draw support away from Obama. I believe the people running these and attending these are basically the same people who got us into this mess, and want to pretend that it’s someone else’s fault. That categorization is certainly not fair to everyone involved, but it is to many.

Again I urge many of you to look long and hard in the mirrot and figure out what happened over the last 8 years, and how the budget surplus that we had when Clinton left office was squandered. You voted for “strength against terrorism” or whatever and you got this. It makes me sick. We don’t need a “tea party”. We need something that can transform one of the two parties, not strengthen one at the other’s expense.

24. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 16 Apr 2009 at 1:37 pm:

Virginia 2008 was a golden opportunity to send a message … Greg got it … most of you didn’t.

25. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 16 Apr 2009 at 1:41 pm:

When large groups of Republicans gather together, I would like to see them talking about deserting their party, not spending their energy bashing the one that they didn’t like to start with. And conversely when democrats get together. All I’m seeing is POLITICS AS USUAL. The reinforcement of the “negative politics” that defines our elections. I’m sure GOP money is funding its way into funding these tea partiy things.

26. me-n-u said on 16 Apr 2009 at 2:48 pm:

People who have made their mortgage payments on time and want ot refinance can’t. You have to be irresponsible, not make payments on time, and be headed for foreclosure before you get help.

Once again, screw the people who do the right thing.

27. FED UP said on 16 Apr 2009 at 3:16 pm:

me-n-u said on 16 Apr 2009 at 2:48 pm: Flag comment

AMEN to that - and I plan to have a sign stating just that at the April 25 party.
    I’m with Greg, I can’t decide which party is trying to sell our country out first….but the race is on and we’re heading toward the finish line.

28. Greg L said on 16 Apr 2009 at 3:26 pm:

I can’t speak to any of the Tea Parties other than the one I was helping, but the one at McCoart wasn’t funded by anyone other than the private citizens who organized it. That’s how the only sound system there was a bullhorn. County staff did everything they could to block this event, and it took a huge amount of legwork to get Liz Bahrnes to even allow this to happen between the McCoart center and Prince William Parkway. Use of the Connaughton Plaza was denied, they woudn’t allow power to be run from the McCoart building out to the location, and they made it seem like the organizers were getting a rare blessing by allowing CITIZENS to park at their own government center.

The organizers couldn’t afford an adequate sound system, they couldn’t afford fliers, they couldn’t afford an adequately larger shelter for the speakers, and the moonbats keep saying that Fox News or the RNC funded these events. That’s hogwash. If Tea Parties had gotten funding from anyone, they wouldn’t have had to run on such a shoestring begging and borrowing what was ultimately inadequate equipment.

You can tell a true grass-roots event by the infrastructure and polish these events have, and these events had no infrastructure and were decidedly unpolished. These events are about as real as it gets when it comes to true grass-roots movements.

29. Publius said on 17 Apr 2009 at 10:39 am:

I was there too—the first time I have protested like this since Nixon’s “Saturday Night Massacre” in 1973. Not taking anything away from the good and hard work by it’s organizers, but it sure looked like an amateur lash-up to me, and the idea being pushed by CNN and the MSM, that this was some sort of Republican and/or big business sponsored demo, full of extremists and racists, is ludicrous in the extreme. Although some politicians and one guy who is probably running in the next election turned up to speak, cynical me wonders if they weren’t trying to get out in front of the crowd to establish themselves as its leaders, if they could. The studious avoidance of reporting about the sheer number of protestors, the number and breadth of the Tea Party protests all across our country by most of the MSM, and the attempts by CNN and other TV outlets that did cover it to paint the people who came to protest as “extremists,” to dismiss and ridicule them, Obama’s efforts to deny that that he was even aware of these demonstrations, all tell me that Obama & Co. are afraid of these spontaneous grass roots demonstrations by citizens and voters against their actions, policies and plans, and they want to discredit them, and desperately want them to go away; we need to nurture and increase their fear, for fear of their being thrown out of office in the upcoming 2010 and 2012 elections is the only thing that will deter this crowd from even more excess and radicalism.

If it is to have any effect at all, the Tea Parties have to continue—with more and bigger and more frequent protests–but the movement has, somehow, to avoid being captured and used by the very same politicians in Washington who have created the economic crisis, and used to it advance their big government/out of control spending/redistributionist/socialist agendas.

Some have talked about the Tea Parties morphing into a new Third Party movement, but it seems to me that any attempt to win control of the Congress and the Presidency by a Third Party is doomed, because of the overwhelming advantages that the two existing parties have in the way of finances, organization and propaganda; the deck is very thoroughly stacked against a Third Party.

The question then is, are there enough existing members of Congress, or can enough new political candidates in the existing two parties be found and backed to run in the 2010 and 2012 elections who truly believe in the Constitution as written, in traditional core American principles of limited, small government, in dramatically decreased government taxing and spending, in decreasing government intrusion and control in our lives, in increased freedom, personal responsibility, and in states rights; people, moreover, who will not, as so many have done, change their tune once in office?

30. Walter E. Kurtz said on 17 Apr 2009 at 1:19 pm:

I was not there. The event wasn’t extreme enuf. : )

These are interesting times.

31. BothPartiesColludeAgainstUs said on 17 Apr 2009 at 3:43 pm:

“the deck is very thoroughly stacked against a Third Party”

BUT a third party can be used to move one or both parties on some particular issue. As Perot did on deficit reduction in 1992.

32. Publius said on 18 Apr 2009 at 9:08 am:

BothPartiesColludeAgainstUs–

Yes, a Third Party movement could cause the Democrats and Republicans to temporarily adjust their positions to compensate but, from my vantage point, that is just not enough.

We need to “throw the rascals out,” not just get them to temporarily tone it down, like a rowdy frat house right after a visit from the police, that will be right back up there at the same decibel level in a few hours i.e. after they have saved their seats.

A major problem, of course, is the fact that most politicians have no firm principles, routinely lie or, they may be somewhat sincere as candidates, but once they get into office and see what the pay, power, perks and benefits are like, and experience the ego inflation that goes along with becoming a member of Congress–believe me, I have seen it in action, up close and personal–all those principles and promises come in a very distant second to just doing what needs to be done–i.e. raising money and making promises in exchange for support–to stay in office and feed at the trough.

I take an extremely dim view of Obama & Co, and believe if Obama and the Democrats have their way for even a few years, they will have put into place laws, programs, policies and Supreme Court appointees that will deliberately and almost irrevocably change America for the worse, and they will also be in a very strong position–think White House control of the Census that is used to create, eliminate, and set the boundaries of congressional districts, think White House having effective control over the Internet, think election rigging ACORN funded with hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars, think hundreds of thousands of Obama supporters–many of them the new welfare recipients who pay no taxes but get a “tax credit” check from the Obama administration and are beholden to it–doing their “mandatory” public service in all the “people’s organizations” he is creating; we will be in Fidel Castro land at this point.

So, the objective should be to get enough people who really adhere to traditional limited government principles and values elected to Congress to break the Democrats majority control of one or both Houses, for if we can’t accomplish this–and soon–it will all be over.

Majority control is total control in Congress, with the majority appointing the leadership, the parliamentarians who rule on points of order and procedure, all the committee chairman, they set up committee ratios of majority to minority members to give the majority party an automatic voting majority on all committees, and decide what is to be debated and how, what investigations are to be pursued, and through their control of the legislative agenda and procedure, decide what legislation is to be passed or even considered–if you are in the minority and the majority does not want to give your arguments a fair hearing, or wants to make it impossible for you to prevail, they can very easily do this, as they are are doing right now.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like we have to work within the existing system to have a chance to change the existing system.

33. sandy said on 18 Apr 2009 at 10:11 am:

Liz allowed the illegals to protest without interference or problems. We know her stand is and with who.

34. Publius said on 18 Apr 2009 at 11:03 am:

I should have said that majority control in Congress is total control if that majority acts in “bad faith,” and does not give the minority a reasonable chance to persuade the majority of it’s views, or to have any real impact at all on legislation.

I note that during the passage of Obama’s $3.7 trillion dollar budget–which got not one single Republican vote in either the House or the Senate–the Democrats used their ability to set the rules of debate and passage for legislation in the Senate to require that the Obama budget was to be voted on using the “reconciliation” procedure, which is a last-ditch, drastic parliamentary tactic normally only used when there is a stalemate over the Budget and the Budget has to be forced to a vote in order to keep the government running, which was not the case in this situation at all. Using the reconciliation procedure in the Senate made sure that Obama’s budget passed, since under this special procedure passage required only 55 votes–which was all the Budget got, rather than the 60 votes usually required to pass such a budget i.e. under the normal rules it might not have passed at all.

One account of the debate and passage of
    the Obama budget noted that Democrats gave Republicans exactly 20 minutes total to present their alternative budget and for debate on it.

35. BT said on 18 Apr 2009 at 3:35 pm:

Perhaps the reason Bush was no fiscal conservative is because fiscal conservatism is no longer politically viable? That is we have reached the point where the “takers” outnumber the “producers” and the takers have the political muscle to ensure the money keeps flowing to their particular sacred cow. This is pure speculation on my part but if we have reached that point the country is doomed. Besides, isn’t that how most democratic societies ultimately perish?

36. Publius said on 18 Apr 2009 at 5:58 pm:

BT—why do you think Obama is going to raise the percentage of our citizens who pay no taxes, from the current way too high 38%, to close to 50% by giving such people—many of whom don’t work at all–disguised welfare handouts in the form of “tax credits” to compensate them for the state and local taxes they do pay? Obama is not trying to solve the economic crisis he hyped as a “disaster,” he is using this “crisis” as an excuse to ram his far left agenda—spending like a drunken sailor on every project on the Democratic wish list, and paying off his supporters—to insure that he and the Democrats stay in power.

Staying in power is also why the Democratic controlled Congress is going to pass the GIVE Act, which creates and generously funds a whole host of new “public service organizations” and inflates the existing ones, and decrees “mandatory” public service. These “mass organizations” or “people’s organizations” so beloved of tyrants and dictators –Hitler, Mao, Mussolini, Castro, Chaves–are going to be a civilian power base for Obama, filled with his supporters and those beholden to him, like ACORN volunteers and the “deserving” poor who get a check from the Obama administration, many of them available to do what Obama needs to be done, whether to insure he and the Democrats win the next election, or to intimidate his opponents.

The quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin, “When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” is playing out right before our eyes.

37. BothPartiesColludeAgainstUs said on 18 Apr 2009 at 7:45 pm:

All this doom and gloom. “The sky is falling, the sky is falling”.

I remember a time , less than 10 years ago, when our government had actually started to spend less than it took in, and taxes were able to be lowered for everyone. America was prosperous and our wealth was being invested inwards, creating jobs in America instead of other nations. It was a good time.

It wasn’t that long ago. I think we can return to a happy state. It won’t hapen overnight but it might happen more quickly than one would think possible.

There’s a great book “The Agenda” by Bob Woodward about the first year of Clinton’s Presidency, it describes the choices made trhat helped to get us back onto the right path. I’m sure it’s a lot less exciting ans simple-mindedly satisfying to many of you than to just swallow in the usual corrupt GOP-slanted propoganda but if you want to feel good about America in general you might want to read that and reflect on where we were circa 1992 and where we were circa 2000.

38. Prester John said on 20 Apr 2009 at 1:57 pm:

Not to be too simple minded, but I would like remind everyone that in 1992 the defense “builddown” was in full swing and continued for several years–ask anyone who was in the service between 1990 and 2000.

Because of the fall of the Soviet Union the United States was able to slash defense spending. At the exact same time some U.S. Army units were deploying from Germany to Iraq in late 1990/early 1991, other units in Germany were being demobilized. Look at the number of B-2 bombers produced versus the number planned; look at the size of our strategic nuclear forces now compared to 1992; look at the size of the Navy compared to then etc and you will see massive reductions in forces with corresponding reductions in spending.

The simple fact is that the needs for large defense spending in the 90s was significantly different that what they were in the 80s and after 9/11, and those smaller needs were reflected in the budget numbers.

Oh, and what party was controlling both houses of Congress between 1995 and Jan 2001?

39. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 20 Apr 2009 at 4:30 pm:

True but I think the tax strategy is key to keeping wealth in America.

In Clinton’s America, the rich get lower tax rates only if they were creating jobs in America, not overseas. Your tax rate is reduced for investment in America, not just for “being you” and having a lot of money. In Bush’s America, you get the same tax break whether you are keeping America strong or whether you are selling jobs off to India, China, etc.

Hence when the internet boom started, and continued through the late 90’s, the investment dollar (the world’s billionaires collectively scrambling to get in on the next big thing) went into creating startups and employing people here in America, not overseas. I believe that history would have been quite different in this regards were it not for tax policy that encouraged investment here and that Indian and Chinese software sweatshops would have been all the rage.

Undoing this bit of common sense, naively pretending that the wealthy would invest here rather than overseas, is/was an act of idiocy that always bothered me and still does. Bush phrased his justification in terms of “fairness” and that was a bunch of hooey aimed at encouraging overseas investment rather than protecting American jobs. Bush, like his father, cares little for the average American and more for global/overseas economic interests.

40. Prester John said on 21 Apr 2009 at 9:51 am:

CORRECTION:

Bush, like his father, and Bill Clinton (he signed NAFTA, remember?) care little for the average American and more for global/overseas economic interests.

41. BothPartiesColludeAgainstUs said on 21 Apr 2009 at 10:41 am:

I supported NAFTA at the time, it seemed like a necessary response to the European Union. In retrospect, it’s been bad for everyone.

That hardly defines Clinton. He encouraged investment in America.

42. Jonathan Way said on 21 Apr 2009 at 3:35 pm:

Wear a teabag. Hang it from your shirt pocket or wherever. I plan to wear one until fiscal sanity is restored to the USA or the teabag rots (more likely).

43. Marti said on 5 May 2009 at 5:50 pm:

Could hardly feel the cold or rain - did not even matter, because it was a great day to be an American! Now everyone needs to e-mail Connelly and Warner and Webb about ALL of BO’s radical proposals. Say YES to Reaganomics!

Views: 2044