Open Thread

By Greg L | 20 April 2009 | Uncategorized | 69 Comments

Once again, have at it!

1. Emma said on 20 Apr 2009 at 8:05 pm:

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano, throwing Americans under the bus yet again, in an interview yesterday:

KING: A lot of Democrats in Congress want to you investigate him. They think he is over the line. He says he is just enforcing the law and the problem is the federal government.

NAPOLITANO: Well, you know, Sheriff Joe, he is being very political in that statement, because he knows that there aren’t enough law enforcement officers, courtrooms or jail cells in the world to do what he is saying.

What we have to do is target the real evil-doers in this business, the employers who consistently hire illegal labor, the human traffickers who are exploiting human misery.

And yes, when we find illegal workers, yes, appropriate action, some of which is criminal, most of that is civil, because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil. But anyway, going after those as well.

But the notion that you’re going to fill every prosecutor’s time, every law enforcement official’s time, and that’s literally what he’s talking about, on immigration, he doesn’t answer the other question, which he has been criticized for, by the way, in Maricopa County, because he is not going after murders, armed robberies, other more serious crimes, because he is so focused on this one.

2. ceejay said on 20 Apr 2009 at 8:13 pm:

below see part of an e-mail sent to Chairman Stewart regarding an event that occurred in our neighborhood last Friday night. mostly a heads up. if this is happening on my little cul-de-sac of 10 houses, it’s probably happening elsewhere in the county. let’s be aware out there people. and please don’t make the mistake we made. ask to see ID!

********************
    we just wanted to bring to your attention something that happened this evening at our home. my husband looked outside, and there was a woman stopping in front of each house, and she was writing furiously on a pad. this woman actually stopped in the front of each house in our cul de sac. my husband watched her sit in front of 4 houses on our cul de sac, then he went outside and took down her license number. she did not like that, got out of her car, and told my husband that she was from the Census Department.

okay, this makes no sense. first, from what we are paying for the census, i would expect that she would have a printout to confirm addresses, and if it was necessary to confirm addresses, then she could have just checked them off as she drove around.

second, she was hand-writing a lot of information. why would she need to write down more that house numbers to confirm for the census? it actually appeared that she was writing a lot more information than house numbers.

we erred in that we did not ask for Official ID to ascertain that this woman was with the Census Department.

3. Big Dog said on 20 Apr 2009 at 8:17 pm:

“When you looked at Republicans you saw the scum off
    the top of business. When you looked at the Democrats
    you saw the scum off the top of politics. Personally,
    I prefer business. A businessman will steal from you
    directly instead of getting the IRS to do it for him.
    And when Republicans ruin the environment, destroy
    housing, and wreck the industrial and banking
    infrastructure, at least they make a buck off it.
    The Democrats just do these things for fun.”
    P.J. O’Rourke

4. Emma said on 20 Apr 2009 at 9:13 pm:

Janet Napolitano declared in an interview yesterday that crossing the border illegally is mostly a “civil” offense, and not a criminal issue.

And here she throws Sheriff Joe Arpaio under the federal bus:

5. HelpGetThemOUT said on 20 Apr 2009 at 9:15 pm:

I have noticed quite a number of open screen doors along Amherst Drive (about four on the north side closest to Ben Lomond Park) and Victoria St (that house right near where the new stop sign was put about 18 months ago.) One house on Amherst (next to the flood control stream) has a path to its backyard. There are nights that I have seen 10-12 cars parked in the back and along the driveway. Plus, the house on Victoria had a tree that had fallen over blocking the whole sidewalk for over two months (finally removed last weekend.)

I heard that these open screen/storm doors are an advertisement that there is a room available for rent to illegals.

Even though these houses are not in the worst shape (grass is cut once in a while and there isn’t garbage everywhere) it is almost a certainty that this is a haven for illegals. What can we do to get these last stragglers out before our home values drop even more?

6. ddpdrinker said on 20 Apr 2009 at 9:25 pm:

Want to know how they get social security numbers? Take a look at this

Go in the put a deceased friend/relative/parent in there - you will be surprised what you see. I found both of my parents who passed 1973/1974 - AND their social security numbers.

7. Anonymous said on 21 Apr 2009 at 7:44 am:

You can even put famous people in there - just about anyone you can think of - dead presidents, etc.

8. Dave in PWC said on 21 Apr 2009 at 7:59 am:

HelpGetThemOUT,

Use the county’s website to report zoning infractions of overcrowded houses. If you are lucky you won’t get inspector Chavez and your complaint might be taken seriously.

9. mnd said on 21 Apr 2009 at 9:18 am:

ceejay said on 20 Apr 2009 at 8:13 pm,

The Census worker was likely legit.

As part of the Census, information is being collected to update TIGER, a GIS dataset.

Information includes house numbers, which side of the street they’re on, beginning and ending numbers for blocks, and other data. The level of detail is sufficient to provide geocoding of street addresses.

10. Peter Danlyn said on 21 Apr 2009 at 10:07 am:

ceejay said on 20 Apr 2009 at 8:13 pm:
    “my little cul-de-sac of 10 houses”

Unless your HOA owns and maintains the road, that ten-house driveway is owned by all the citizens of Virginia. Seems like a waste of taxpayer money to stretch our road maintenance budget out to keep up what amounts to private enclaves in which the residents pretty much expect exclusive use of publicly owned roads.

That’s why I know all the tea party participants will support Gov. Kaine’s plan to disallow developers from turning over roads in cul-de-sac neighborhoods to the state, unless the subdivision is planned so that a sufficient number of streets have the ability to connect with adjoining neighborhoods and properties.

11. Walter E. Kurtz said on 21 Apr 2009 at 10:55 am:

Ceejay:

“there was a woman stopping in front of each house, and she was writing furiously on a pad.”

Was she fat and ugly? Maybe one of the anti’s identified you as a BVBL blogger and was taking info on you and your neighbors. They’ve been known to engage in that behavior since they’ve got nothing to do with their time. Oh, the horror.

12. TDB said on 21 Apr 2009 at 11:43 am:

WHO AM I?

I was born in one country, raised in another. My father was born in another country. I was not his only child. He fathered several children with numerous women.

I became very close to my mother, as my father showed no interest in me. My mother died at an early age from cancer.

Later in life, questions arose over my real name.

My birth records were sketchy and no one was able to produce a legitimate, reliable birth certificate.

I grew up practicing one faith but converted to Christianity, as it was widely accepted in my country, but

I practiced non-traditional beliefs & didn’t follow Christianity, except in the public eye under scrutiny.

I worked and lived among lower-class people as a young adult, disguising myself as someone who really cared about them.

That was before I decided it was time to get serious about my life and I embarked on a new career.

I wrote a book about my struggles growing up. It was clear to those who read my memoirs that I had difficulties accepting that my father abandoned me as a child.

I became active in local politics in my 30’s then with help behind the scenes, I literally burst onto the scene as a candidate for national office in my 40s. They said I had a golden tongue and could talk anyone into anything. That reinforced my conceit.

I had a virtually non-existent resume, little work history, and no experience in leading a single organization. Yet I was a powerful speaker and citizens were drawn to me as though I were a magnet and they were small roofing tacks.

I drew incredibly large crowds during my public appearances. This bolstered my ego.

At first, my political campaign focused on my country’s foreign policy. I was very critical of my country in the last war and seized every opportunity to bash my country.

But what launched my rise to national prominence were my views on the country’s economy. I pretended to have a really good plan on how we could do better and every poor person would be fed & housed for free.

I knew which group was responsible for getting us into this mess. It was the free market, banks & corporations. I decided to start making citizens hate them and if they were envious of others who did well, the plan was clinched tight..

I called mine “A People’s Campaign” and that sounded good to all people.

I was the surprise candidate because I emerged from outside the traditional path of politics & was able to gain widespread popular support.

I knew that, if I merely offered the people ‘hope’ , together we could change our country and the world..

So, I started to make my speeches sound like they were on behalf of the downtrodden, poor, ignorant to include “persecuted minorities” like the Jews. My true views were not widely known & I needed to keep them unknown, until after I became my nation’s leader.

I had to carefully guard reality, as anybody could have easily found out what I really believed, if they had simply read my writings and examined those people I associated with.

I’m glad they didn’t Then I became the most powerful man in the world. And the world learned the truth.

Who am I? ……….

Adolf Hitler!!

13. DB Cooper said on 21 Apr 2009 at 1:27 pm:

You got real problems, pal.

14. AWCheney said on 21 Apr 2009 at 1:43 pm:

Who, TDB or the rest of the people who have too little knowledge of actual history to recognize its potential for repetition, DB Cooper?

15. TDB said on 21 Apr 2009 at 2:13 pm:

Yes, I do have real problems and they’re getting worse by the day.

16. FED UP said on 21 Apr 2009 at 4:13 pm:

TDB said on 21 Apr 2009 at 2:13 pm: Flag comment

I thought it was a great post!

17. Anonymous said on 21 Apr 2009 at 4:37 pm:

Does this IDIOT think that she can pull the wool over the eyes of trained medical staff by denying she had just given birth. Fortunately her parents had the courage to come forward. The dead baby didn’t materialize out of thin air….or did it? MUY, MUY Estupido!

18. Fran Kendrick said on 21 Apr 2009 at 6:00 pm:

Still fuming over the release of the top secret memos and the president’s
    flip flopping on whether the “framers” of the “torture” methods will, in the
    future, be prosecuted, I now have read that he is expanding his private
    army “AmeriCorps” to triple it’s size, I’m no longer fuming….I am seething!
    Do any of you suspect that this is just another of his scams to add to the
    ACORN organization? He will be depending on those radicals to keep him
    in office an additional four years, even if it means casting their votes 17
    times. Remember?

Do any of you posting here really give a dee whether or not terrorists
    are water-boarded? Frankly, I don’t care. I, for one, would love to watch.
    If Obama’s girls were ever kidnapped by terrorists, he wouldn’t hold back
    on water-boarding or any other form of “enhanced interrogation” to obtain
    information and to get them back, so who is he kidding?

TDB, hmmmmm you failed to mention the fact that he also had a
    venerial disease.

19. HelpGetThemOUT said on 21 Apr 2009 at 9:37 pm:

Dave in PWC:

What can we call overcrowded? The house on Victoria constantly has three to four cars in the driveway and one or two parked in front of the abandoned house next door.

Plus, what about the day workers lingering around the 7-11 on Old Centreville Rd down near the trailer park? That neighborhood has been a dump for a long while, but it needs to be cleared of loiterers. Why do the PWC Police drive by all the time and never run them off?

20. AWCheney said on 21 Apr 2009 at 9:38 pm:

TDB, you do realize that this ( AWCheney said on 21 Apr 2009 at 1:43 pm) was complimentary to you, and I was agreeing…right? I reread it, and feel that I may have poorly worded the comment.

21. Cynic said on 21 Apr 2009 at 9:49 pm:

Fran Kendrick said on 21 Apr 2009 at 6:00 pm:

“Still fuming over the release of the top secret memos and the president’s flip flopping on whether the “framers” of the “torture” methods will, in the future, be prosecuted,”

Anyone wanting to prosecute them is not only a hypocrite but a rat traitor.

22. TiredTaxpayer said on 21 Apr 2009 at 10:14 pm:

cynic -
    I agree.
    Where was the outrage over the horror in which the contractors and soldiers of USA went through. Hanging our men, burnt and tortured. But by all means, lets stop the waterboarding of terrorists! I say we get the info (by using real torture) and get rid of them. One less terrorist to worry about.

23. Greg L said on 21 Apr 2009 at 10:27 pm:

The waterboarding of captured terrorists provided information that averted an attack on Los Angeles, saving countless lives. I suppose Maximum Leader would have preferred to see Americans die rather than have some scumbag terrorists inconvenienced, since he won’t let this be used when the situation warrants it.

I sense a Dukakis moment coming from President Urkel sometime in the future. He’ll be asked it was the life of one of his family members that hung in the balance, and just watch him talk about treating unlawful enemy combatants with kit gloves and providing them access to the federal court system.

24. Brian Leeper said on 21 Apr 2009 at 11:37 pm:

Belmont Station HOA is now owed $35k in unpaid dues, legal fees, and late fees. That’s up from $28k last time I checked, about 3 months ago.

Apparently, some people (a lot of people) feel that they don’t need to pay HOA dues.

25. Dave in PWC said on 22 Apr 2009 at 12:08 am:

HelpGetThemOut,

It sounds like HSM needs to make another trip on a Saturday to the 7-11 you are speaking about. I’m not familiar with that part of town. If you are talking about Manassas City then the info I gave above is of no use to you.

What my neighbors and I did when complaining was give the number of men, women and children observed coming and going and the license plate numbers and makes of the vehicles. We observed the number of trash bags out on trash day and we had the HOA parking lot enforcer keep towing their cars parked improperly in our lot. $125 a tow is about two days wages for them and they learned quickly to park on the street.

We also called the PWCPD for every noise complaint no matter the time of day as well as complaining to the HOA about the trash thrown around. We also wrote letters to the owner of the property and let them know what was going on as well and told them a copy of the letter was going to the PWC Board of Supervisors for the appropriate district as well as the chairman and the zoning board. We also kept calling the PWC zoning office about our complaints and going up the chain when we didn’t get any satisfaction.

It’s about persistence, at least it was in my condo complex. Now we have young families roaming around not afraid to walk after dark on our sidewalks and they don’t have to watch out for beer bottles. But we have had to be vigilent as an owner tried recently to move in three families into one three bedroom condo and one of my neighbors called zoning immediately and the HOA property manager who came out and watched what was going on.

26. FED UP said on 22 Apr 2009 at 7:01 am:

Dave in PWC said on 22 Apr 2009 at 12:08 am: Flag comment

Good job! Our voices ARE VALUABLE. Nothing chaps my behind more, than someone who continually complains and whines about something, and doesn’t do a damn thing to resolve it. These resolutions don’t just “happen” all by themselves. Pick up the phone and call - pick up the pen and write!

27. Anonymous said on 22 Apr 2009 at 7:39 am:

HelpGetThemOUT said on 20 Apr 2009 at 9:15 pm: Flag comment

What you have stated is true as I have observed the same conditions the past 2-3 years. The house at the stop sign was reported by me about a year and a half ago with haveing 2-3 unregistered trucks (no plates) in the yard. The house by the flood control ditch with all the vehicles in the back yard was also reported. Neighborhood services apparently is not looking for these obvious concerns but will cite you for leaving your trash can on the street after it has been emptied. I have also seen an influx of Latinos in the Westgate/Sudley area once again. The carriage caravans and the trailing kids have been observed heading for K-mart on Saturday mornings. They must have gotten some good deals on the houses that were previously occupied by latinos and were foreclosed upon. They are once again being occupied by latinos.

28. Robert L. Duecaster said on 22 Apr 2009 at 8:29 am:

Sometimes you run across something so good, and so rich, you just have to share it, like double chocolate cake:

Posted to Craig’s List Personals:
    To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in
    Downtown Savannah night before last.
    Date: 2009-03-23, 3:43 A M EST
    I was the guy with the black Burberry jacket that you demanded I
    hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend.
    You also asked for my girlfriend’s purse and earrings.
    I hope you somehow come across this message. I’d like to apologize.
    I didn’t expect you to crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after
    you took my jacket. Truth is, I was wearing the jacket for a reason that
    evening, and it wasn’t that cold outside.
    You see, my girlfriend had
    just bought me that Kimber Model 1911 .45 A CP pistol for Christmas,
    and we had just picked up a shoulder holster for it that evening.
    Beautiful pistol, eh?
    It’s a very intimidating weapon when pointed at
    your head, isn’t it? I know it probably wasn’t a great deal of fun
    walking back to wherever you’d come from with that brown sludge
    flopping about in your pants. I’m sure it was even worse since you
    also ended up leaving your shoes, cellphone, and wallet with me. I
    couldn’t have you calling up any of your buddies to come help you try
    to mug us again.
    I took the liberty of calling your mother, or “Momma”
    as you had her listed in your cell, and explaining to her your
    situation. I also bought myself and four other people in the gas
    station this morning a tank full of gas on your credit card. The guy
    with the big motor home took 150 gallons and was extremely grateful!
    I gave your shoes to one of the homeless guys over by Vinnie Van Go
    Go’s, along with all of the cash in your wallet.
    I threw the wallet
    in a fancy pink “pimp mobile” parked at the curb after I broke the
    windshield and side window out and keyed the drivers side. I called a
    bunch of phone sex numbers from your cellphone. They’ll be on your
    bill in case you’d like to know which ones. Ma Bell just shut down
    the line, and I’ve only had the phone for a little over a day now, so
    I don’t know what’s going on with that. I hope they haven’t
    permanently cut off your service.
    I could only get in two threatening
    phone calls to the D A ’s office and one to the FBI with it. The FBI guy
    was really pissed and we had a long chat (I guess while he traced the number).
    I’d also like to apologize for not killing you and instead
    making you walk back home humiliated. I’m hoping that you’ll
    reconsider your choice of path in life. Next time you might not be so lucky..
    - Alex
    P.S. Remember this motto…… an armed society is a polite society!

29. Dave in PWC said on 22 Apr 2009 at 8:40 am:

Fed Up,

It’s true, the squeaky wheel needs to be greased. Last night coming home from work around midnight I was coming down Wellington Rd towards Rixliew and was blinded by the stadium lights at Stonewall HS. What were the lights doing on so late at night? Nobody was on the field. Now I am wondering how much tax money this is costing us. So I emailed my BOCS Supervisor Mr. Stirrup not knowing who to contact at the school department. This morning I had an email response thanking me and showing me my email was forwarded to several people with .edu email addresses. We see something wrong all of us need to pick up the phone or write or email our elected reps to make things right.

30. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:29 am:

“Those involved in collecting valuable information from the terrorists slime should be given MEDALS. ”

Even if they grossly abused power? Do you want to give an award to the interrogator who raped the boy at Guantanemo? Or have you simplistically overstated.

“The waterboarding of captured terrorists provided information that averted an attack on Los Angeles, saving countless lives. ”

I really tend to doubt that. It comes as no surprise to me that that arguement can be made politically, that torture led to valuable information. Whether those in the know who collect and analyze this information REALLY feel that way, I would tend to doubt. Only they would know. I assume they’ll stand up and shout if that’s the case. All I see is political posturing, reflexive defensiveness from yesterday’s intelligence professionals.

“I suppose Maximum Leader would have preferred to see Americans die rather than have some scumbag terrorists inconvenienced, since he won’t let this be used when the situation warrants it.”

I’m trying to extrapolate a rational arguement in there. If raping the children of the accused terrorists would provide information, should we do it? If Obama says no, does that mean he wants to sit idly by and let Americans die? Isn’t this whole arguement about where to draw the line? Or do you really want to argue that no line needs be drawn, and extremism in the pursuit of Islamofascists is never a vice?

“I sense a Dukakis moment coming from President Urkel sometime in the future. ”

The Urkel rag line is disrespectful to this nation and seems to many of us to betray a racial animus.

31. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:29 am:

tag line I meant

32. Anonymous said on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:40 am:

BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:29 am: Flag comment

When did this alleged situation occur or is it another fable from the far left?
    I say, WHATEVER IT TAKES! At least we are not making videos showing the cutting off of heads like these animals do. Treat violence with violence. That is the only thing they will understand. Didn’t the saying “an eye for an eye” come from the middle east? I would be happy to attend the medal awards ceremony when it is held!

33. Fran Kendrick said on 22 Apr 2009 at 10:15 am:

Anonymous, I too would be happy to attend the ceremony. In fact, I’ll
    bet that if we sold tickets to the event, we could make a killing. (no pun
    intended).

34. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 10:29 am:

Maybe no boy got raped at Guantanemo. Maybe it was staged to help break prisoners. Sorry, I’ll amend my question - what IF that were done, should they rapist be free from prosecution and awarded a medal?

35. Advocator said on 22 Apr 2009 at 11:09 am:

Prisoners in any conflict are an asset due to the information they possess and the desire of their countries/units to get them back. Their incarceration should focus on their protection and well-being (a military police responsibility) and the extraction of any useful information (a military intelligence and CIA function). Interrogating and incarceration out of hate and revenge is contrary to the country’s interests, regardless of how repulsive they are. Professional interrogators usually do not require the use of enhanced techniques, but the use of those techniques should not be taken completely off the table. It’s unfortunate that these concepts got blurred at Gitmo, Abu Ghraib, and elsewhere due to poor training and a breakdown in leadership responsibility. In reaction to those situations, Obama has taken a tool away that may be required to avert a trajedy some time in the future.

36. Anonymous said on 22 Apr 2009 at 11:10 am:

BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 10:29 am: Flag comment

If that rape you refer to did in fact occur, by all means prosecute the perp to the fullest extent of the law. Rape is a crime in most countries (there are a few countries like Afghanastan where it is not — they consider it a a man’s right to forceably take his wife.) Obtaining information from a known terrorist who wishes to hurt/kill everyone in this country by waterboarding them and usinsg other non-lethal means should be fair game. I would bet that the Saudi terrorists being held at Gitmo would rather be there than be sent back to Saudi Arabia. Don’tcha think?

37. Cynic said on 22 Apr 2009 at 11:43 am:

BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou

“Sorry, I’ll amend my question - what IF that were done, should they rapist be free from prosecution and awarded a medal?”

I would think that disciplinary action would be sufficient in this instances. Why clog up the Court system.

38. TDB said on 22 Apr 2009 at 12:33 pm:

To AWCheney and FedUp:

Thank you!

I realized what you were saying. I am extremely concerned with the course our country has taken. I am not a scholar, but I feel like we are on a slippery slope and headed towards socialism or worse at break-neck speed.

Oh, another problem I have is that I am opposed to same-sex marriages.

39. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 1:22 pm:

“Obama has taken a tool away that may be required to avert a trajedy some time in the future.”

I can’t argue with that logic in an absolute sense. But, in reality, we don’t have access to people who are planning terrorist acts of significance. If they get caught by us, I assume the plan changes. There was no potential to stop 9/11 by virtue of any interrogation technique. Seems to me it’s of more use in a battlefield situation.

By contrast, we should train our citizens not to let 19 scrawny punks with boxcutters hijack planes … there are so many tangible things we can/could do that don’t involve torture.

40. BothPartiesColludeAgainstYou said on 22 Apr 2009 at 1:24 pm:

“I am opposed to same-sex marriages”

Then don’t get married to someone of the same sex!

Beyond that, what’s the problem?

41. TDB said on 22 Apr 2009 at 2:33 pm:

Who cares, you ask. 99.9% of the Christian world.

42. FED UP said on 22 Apr 2009 at 3:48 pm:

TDB said on 22 Apr 2009 at 12:33 pm: Flag comment
    “Oh, another problem I have is that I am opposed to same-sex marriages.”

So are the majority of the American people.

43. Fran Kendrick said on 22 Apr 2009 at 4:01 pm:

Adam and Eve…..NOT Adam and Steve!!!!!!

44. FED UP said on 22 Apr 2009 at 4:27 pm:

Fran Kendrick said on 22 Apr 2009 at 4:01 pm: Flag comment

hahahahaha - I’m going to have to remember that one!

45. Cynic said on 22 Apr 2009 at 7:57 pm:

By Both - If God hadn’t meant for same-sex couples to wed, he wouldn’t have invented activist judges. Who cares.

Then, you do not believe in free will, right?

46. HelpGetThemOUT said on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:56 pm:

Fed Up:

Don’t worry, I have been raising my voice plenty. I continuously email my representatives about the issue… I also use the PWC website to report obvious blight violations:

I am hoping for some guidance in getting rid of the obvious illegals when they are not blatantly violating a zoning law. I drove past the house next to the flood control ditch yesterday and there was a total of THIRTEEN cars in the backyard and parked in the driveway. I be if we called it in, they’d lie and say they are having a party.

Ugh. Plus all the houses with Christmas lights on them. Damn lazy slobs put them up and never take them down, regardless if they are hanging halfway off the gutters. Too bad it’s not like the laws with motor vehicles “if the light is your car, it must be functional”

47. DPortM said on 23 Apr 2009 at 5:06 am:

Remember the Honduran illegal alien child rapist who is on the run from the PWC police? He was let go by the Mo Co police….

A year before Prince William County police say he raped an 8-year-old girl, court documents show an illegal immigrant from Honduras was released by Montgomery County police after being arrested for second-degree assault…

Jon Feere, a policy analyst at the Center for Immigration Studies, said Banegas’ release “is a perfect example” of local governments failing to enforce immigration law.

“Legal residents are going to have their lives threatened by people who are in the country illegally if those people aren’t deported after having committed even the most minor of offenses,” Feere said. “Montgomery County and Maryland as a whole are slowly realizing sanctuary policies are bad policies.”

48. FED UP said on 23 Apr 2009 at 8:08 am:

Robert L. Duecaster said on 22 Apr 2009 at 8:29 am: Flag comment

LOVED the story!!!!

49. Brian Leeper said on 23 Apr 2009 at 1:36 pm:

Two public hearings coming up in Manassas Park:

“The Governing Body will conduct a public hearing on Tuesday, May 12 on the real estate tax rate for fiscal year (FY) 2009-2010.”

The advertised tax rate is, as I recall, $1.71

Also on the same day will be a public hearing on the

“Reduction of Speed Limit on a portion of Manassas Drive from 35 MPH to 25 MPH from Euclid Avenue to Railroad Drive.”

The current reduction is only temporary, and must be removed after 60 days per an ordinance passed by the city which gives the City Manager authority to temporarily (for a period not to exceed 60 days) to lower speed limits in construction zones without a traffic study.

The first public hearing dealing with the tax rate isn’t listed on the city’s website calender but I’m sure that’s just an oversight which will be corrected shortly.

50. Brian Leeper said on 23 Apr 2009 at 1:38 pm:

Both public hearings are at 7pm at City Hall.

51. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 23 Apr 2009 at 6:05 pm:

On the topic of gay marriage. Again, this falls under the so-called “tolerance” argument made by the liberals. “Tolerance” to liberals is a one-way thing…in other words….you are tolerant only if you agree with their viewpoint. If you disagree you are considered “intolerant”. So why aren’t the liberals being “tolerant” of the conservative viewpoint (which largely disagrees with gay marriage). Wouldn’t they (the liberals) now be “intolerant”? You decide.

52. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 23 Apr 2009 at 6:09 pm:

Oh…and BothParties…
    If you actually read the Bible, homosexuality is a sin (which can be forgiven). I will let you do the research for your edification.

53. William Zimmerman said on 24 Apr 2009 at 4:24 pm:

Hello Everyone,

Come see former Congressman Virgil Goode at George Mason University on April 27. We will feature insightful discussion and much more! Congressman Virgil Goode will be speaking on the topic of The Creeping Influence of Islam in America. We are expecting some other notable and special guests as well.

The event is free and open to the community. Please invite all friends and family!

Please email mason@yafva.org or give me a call at (434) 420-6323 for more information.

Date: April 27, 2009 - This Monday

Time: 7:30pm - 9:30pm

Place: Johnson Center Bistro - George Mason University -
    Fairfax Campus

For additional information please see http://mason.yafva.org.

Thank you very much!

William Zimmerman
    State Chairman
    Young Americans for Freedom - Virginia

54. VA_Magoo said on 24 Apr 2009 at 7:51 pm:

Qoute
    because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil.
    End Quote

There my friends is the root of the whole problem….they dont see living here illegally as a crime!

55. Dave in PWC said on 25 Apr 2009 at 9:39 am:

So now we are being sujected to both measles and swine flu. I wonder where the measles came from since most of us either had it or had the vaccine. Oops, I mean most of us legally in the country. Just heard the president of Mexico has cancelled most outside activities in Mexico City because he’s worried that the swine flu will turn into a pandemic.

Anyone work in the health community that can dig and find out where the measles came from? Person works at a grocery store and hangs out at a 7-11. Hmmmm

56. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2009 at 11:54 am:

Dave in PWC said on 25 Apr 2009 at 9:39 am: Flag comment

Probably from the same place the tomatoes came from last year! That country is totally disfunctional.

57. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2009 at 11:58 am:

Where is that Salvadoran woman who alleged she was beaten up by a Manassas City cop? Is the cop back on duty? Has she been deported yet?

58. Big Dog said on 25 Apr 2009 at 2:55 pm:

Mr. Leeper,
    Please note that the Comparative Report of
    Local Revenues and Expenditures - Year Ended June 30, 2008
    - From the Commonwealth of Virginia Auditor of
    Public Accounts is out and on the internet.
    Of thirty-nine Virginia cities, only one
    provided no audited information to the Commonwealth
    (eight months after the end of the fiscal year) and that
    was Manassas Park. A very clear violation of
    Section 15.2 -2510, Code of Virginia.
    You may want to ask about that.

59. Big Dog said on 25 Apr 2009 at 4:14 pm:

Anonymous, it was a Manassas PARK officer that
    was alleged to have roughed up the Hispanic woman
    during a routine traffic stop. No charges, to my
    knowledge have been filed, and I think it was a
    publicity stunt on her part with the help of a few pals
    like “Sign Man” Fernandez.

60. Johnson said on 25 Apr 2009 at 7:43 pm:

Patriot-

I believe that liberals use “intolerant” in the same manner as “racist”. Anyone who disagrees with them is either one or both. I thought that they were better educated and therefore, smarter than us ignorant conservatives, who cling to our God and our guns?

Sticks and stones…

61. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:09 pm:

Johnson, agree. As usual…no liberal that I have seen addresses these topics of GREAT INTEREST. Why? Because they KNOW the conservatives are right and that their argument is illogical.

62. The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:12 pm:

We need to shut down the border with all of this illness garbage going around. It is a matter of public safety. All those schools that have children of illegal immigrant parents…they could be carriers of these illnesses. Are they even screened?

63. Brian Leeper said on 25 Apr 2009 at 11:24 pm:

“Of thirty-nine Virginia cities, only one
    provided no audited information to the Commonwealth
    (eight months after the end of the fiscal year) and that
    was Manassas Park. A very clear violation of
    Section 15.2 -2510, Code of Virginia.
    You may want to ask about that.”

Thank you, I’ve downloaded the file and I’m looking at it now. Indeed, the data for Manassas Park is missing.

64. Cynic said on 26 Apr 2009 at 10:21 am:

The Patriot - FYI. Michael Savage wrote a “book” on the diseases (like TB) that immigrants bring into the Country. As I understand it, at one time, immigrants entering the Country were given physicals. Those who did not pass the physical were not allowed to enter. Now, an immigrant stands a better chance of being cleared for entry if they have some health or other problem - the bigger the problem, the better! Of course, there are no issues with illegals entering our Country!

Michael’s book was never published as no publisher wanted to publish it since it was too political incorrect.

Maybe if a sufficient number of us survive the pandemic, someone will publish it!

Also, I think the info. on this flu threat/potential was out there much earlier than reported by our PC press.

65. Anonymous said on 27 Apr 2009 at 12:01 pm:

The Patriot (Got E-Verify?) said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:12 pm: Flag comment

NO! It would be politically incorrect to do so and LA RAZA and ilk would cry racial discrimmination and racial profiling. What a country!

66. Anonymous said on 27 Apr 2009 at 12:10 pm:

Big Dog said on 25 Apr 2009 at 4:14 pm: Flag comment

Anonymous, it was a Manassas PARK officer that
    was alleged to have roughed up the Hispanic woman
    during a routine traffic stop. No charges, to my
    knowledge have been filed, and I think it was a
    publicity stunt on her part with the help of a few pals
    like “Sign Man” Fernandez.

Thanks for the correction. I meant to say Manassas Park vice the City. It’s strange that the media has not followed-up on the story since the Virginia State police were investigating the incident. Neither the MJM nor the radio and tv stations that reported the “incident” have given an update. It’s easy to see how quick they are reporting without having the facts. If I were the police officer, I think I would now own a newspaper, and some radio and TV stations. I would also see that the accuser, with the help of ICE was on her way back to the jungles of El Salvadore.

67. Cynic said on 27 Apr 2009 at 12:16 pm:

“with the help of ICE”

Given the policies of the current Adm., do your really think that ICE will help?

68. Johnson said on 27 Apr 2009 at 12:41 pm:

Patriot-
    You are correct in your assumption that obviously ill passengers/border crossers are admitted to the U.S. I have never seen a passenger turned away for illness, even TB. Illegal aliens are worse, since we lose the opportunity to inspect/interview them before they’ve entered our society. The only time we’ve ever closed the borders entirely was on 9/11 and it wasn’t 5 minutes before Mexico and Canada were calling to complain.

69. Johnson said on 28 Apr 2009 at 9:32 am:

I was wondering when the blame would be shifted to the U.S.
    After all, we can’t have Mexico appearing to be a filthy, diseased, third world suckhole. Why would anyone want to leave such a paradise?

Views: 1930