Tea Party In DC Tomorrow

By Greg L | 24 April 2009 | National Politics | 28 Comments

Tomorrow (Saturday) will be another Tea Party protest, this time in front of the White House at Lafayette Park.  While raising your voices on April 15th helped, getting runaway spending under control isn’t going to happen by spending just two hours in the rain on tax day.  It’s going to take a continuing effort, and this is an opportunity to help that effort along.

The protest is from 11AM to 1PM.  Be there.

1. Confused said on 24 Apr 2009 at 8:43 pm:

2. sahdman said on 24 Apr 2009 at 9:03 pm:

You are protesting Tyranny.

3. Greg L said on 24 Apr 2009 at 9:32 pm:

Assuming that you’re actually looking for an answer, people are protesting that government is assuming massive and unprecedented debt that cannot possibly be repaid by this generation and will saddle future generations with burdens they had no voice in accepting. We are taking on more public debt in a few short months than the country has been responsible for in its entire history. The impact of this debt will create tremendous economic consequences, likely the fueling of inflation and a huge weakening of the dollar that will take decades at a minimum to recover from. The money is being spent on many projects that aren’t useful, won’t provide immediate “stimulus”, and are based on political opportunity much more than any semblance of economic sense.

It is stunningly irresponsible for congress to do this, and then pass off that a temporary $13 a week tax cut represents fiscal responsibility. How is this debt to be repaid, and what will the price be to repay all this debt in the future?

4. me said on 24 Apr 2009 at 9:51 pm:

When you get done with the tea party stop by the gun show at the Dulles Expo Center!

5. Brian Leeper said on 24 Apr 2009 at 10:02 pm:

“I’m paying less in taxes this year than I was last year.”

Well gee, so am I, but that would be because HP cut our salaries.

6. me-n-u said on 25 Apr 2009 at 6:10 am:

Come see former Congressman Virgil Goode at George Mason University on April 27. We will feature insightful discussion and much more! Congressman Virgil Goode will be speaking on the topic of The Creeping Influence of Islam in America. We are expecting some other notable and special guests as well.

The event is free and open to the community. Please invite all friends and family!

Please email mason@yafva.org or give me a call at (434) 420-6323 for more information.

Date: April 27, 2009 - This Monday

Time: 7:30pm - 9:30pm

Place: Johnson Center Bistro - George Mason University -
    Fairfax Campus

7. Bridget said on 25 Apr 2009 at 6:35 am:

8. Bridget said on 25 Apr 2009 at 6:44 am:

Tea Parties about Far More than Taxes

9. Prester John said on 25 Apr 2009 at 9:15 am:

These Tea Parties may feel good but they won’t mean a darn thing unless people get involved with the selection of candidates for the 2010 mid-term elections and nominate candidates they can support wholeheartedly with their time and money.

10. Anonymous said on 25 Apr 2009 at 11:18 am:

Confused said on 24 Apr 2009 at 8:43 pm: Flag comment

Well, if you don’t know you really must be confused.

11. Karla H said on 25 Apr 2009 at 2:04 pm:

“I’m paying less in taxes this year than I was last year. What am I protesting again?” - Confused

“Assuming that you’re actually looking for an answer, people are protesting that government is assuming massive and unprecedented debt that cannot possibly be repaid by this generation and will saddle future generations with burdens they had no voice in accepting.” - Greg L

Confused is. And Greg has clarity on this issue.

Taxes **will** go up. For us. For our children.

We, the Heads of State and Government of Bolivia, Cuba, Dominica, Honduras, Nicaragua and Venezuela, member countries of ALBA, [say]
    1. Capitalism is leading humanity and the planet to extinction.
    2. Capitalism has caused the environmental crisis
    3. The global economic crisis, climate change, the food crisis and the energy crisis are the result of the decay of capitalism, which threatens to end life and the planet. [We want] a system based on:
    - solidarity and complementarity, not competition;
    - a system in harmony with our mother earth and not plundering of human resources;
    - a system of cultural diversity and not cultural destruction and imposition of cultural values and lifestyles alien to the realities of our countries;
    - a system of peace based on social justice and not on imperialist policies and wars;
    - in summary, a system that recovers the human condition of our societies and peoples and does not reduce them to mere consumers or merchandise.

etc., read about it at

Confused, make no mistake about it. You are under attack. And Obama is ‘on the other side’.

The system of capitalism that has brought you polio vaccine, fertilizer, the Internet, automobiles, cellphones, etc. is under attack.

I’m a capitalist. I like to work. But… I expect to be paid for it. I will not support some slob who would sit on his arse while I bring home the bacon. Nor will I support an elitist class of “intellectuals” who feel they should be fed filet mignon while I get soup bone.

12. Sparticus said on 25 Apr 2009 at 7:17 pm:

Lots of money in bailouts given out from the final days of the Bush years. How do we get this back?

Bear Stearns 30 billion
    Fannie/Freddie 400 billion
    AIG 180 billion
    Auto Industry 25 billion
    Trouble Asset Relief Fund 700 billion
    Citigroup 280 billion

I think that totals about 1.6 trillion in funds doled out to George’s friends. Any ideas on how to recover? I guess each state could take the Perry route and say “no more federal funding to help the people of my state except for the porkus that I personally asked for which will ultimately screw my people out of every red cent” route.

Maybe that will cut back on spending.

I mean really, isn’t Texas just the sheeple state of the year? Why NOOOO we couldn’t possibly need more money, please, we have SOOOOO much already! Just give that money to those poor little rich folks! Bless their hearts!!

Tea parties. What a bunch of ignorant fukwads.

13. starryflights said on 25 Apr 2009 at 7:43 pm:

Did anyone reading here get to go to the Tea Party in D.C.? I was disappointed to see a lack of coverage for this event..nothing…not even Fox. Did many people show up? Wish I could have gone. I do plan on going to the Woodbridge Tea Party on July 4th.

14. Prester John said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:10 pm:

Actually Sparticus, the Dems received more money from the insurance/financial services industry last year than the Republicans. Number 2, 3, and 5 on the list were BHO ($2.2 million), Hillary ($1.2 million) and Dodd ($852k). The top four House recipients were Dems (Rangel, Kanjorski, Pomeroy and Bean).

BHO also received a total of $2.67 million from the PACs or employees of:

Goldman Sachs $980k
    Citigroup $657k
    JP Morgan $650k
    Morgan Stanley $490k

70% of AIGs contributions in 2008 went to Dems.

The top 3 recipients of contributions from Fannie and Freddie in 2008 were Democrats: Dodd, Obama and Kerry.

Etc., etc.

Oh, all the bailouts were passed by a Dem controlled House and Senate.

Nice try.

Go to www.opensecrets.org and try to educate yourself.

15. Sparticus said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:27 pm:

What? We are talking about 1.6 trillion dollars in bailout to rich corporate fat cats who supported the republican party and you dare mention 825 thousand (unsubstantiated) given to Dodd?

We got JACKED by conservatives. JACKED! Largest corporate tax break in TWO Decades! Largest budget deficit EVER!

Nice try!

16. Johnson said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:28 pm:

Sparticus-
    We are fully aware of what Bush did. We’re not happy about it, either.
    Save your name-calling for your protests at UNC. Did you cut your hand when you broke the window?

17. Sparticus said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:53 pm:

Bang me dry King George, bang me dry! We’re on the same team!

OH YEE SUCKERS.

18. Prester John said on 25 Apr 2009 at 8:59 pm:

Yawn.

19. Greg L said on 26 Apr 2009 at 12:15 am:

Working on a video of the event this evening. I’ll probably have that wrapped up tomorrow night and you can get a taste of what happened.

GREAT SPEAKERS! If you missed it, you really missed out!

20. starryflights said on 26 Apr 2009 at 10:15 am:

Well, maybe Glenn Beck will have some coverage of the D.C. Tea Party which took place yesterday. Looking forward to seeing your video, Greg.

21. chucky said on 26 Apr 2009 at 12:25 pm:

what’s going on with that swine flu? heard it originated in mexico..what a wonderous gift from the third world!

22. freedom said on 26 Apr 2009 at 2:02 pm:

Confused and Sparticus, not to name-call, but those who see things as you do are either 3rd grade dropouts and lack the faculties to think for themselves OR are merely the unquestioning progeny of liberal democrats who like Mom and Dad, see the working class as their benefactors — most often, both.

There are many who fit into both categories; we must try and understand those unfortunates and not waste our time trying to educate. A lost cause is nothing more nor less…just simply a lost cause. So sad.

23. Anonymous said on 26 Apr 2009 at 9:39 pm:

Sparticus said on 25 Apr 2009 at 7:17 pm: Flag comment

BEWARE of geeks wearing sneakers!

24. Tillie said on 26 Apr 2009 at 11:40 pm:

chucky

I remember the Asian flu. It was bad.

25. Big Dog said on 27 Apr 2009 at 12:01 pm:

Wonder if too much pork barrel spending by both
    parties led to the swine flu? Hmmm.

26. Bridget said on 27 Apr 2009 at 1:25 pm:

What’s going on with that swine flu?

What’s going on with that Obama administration? To date, it has:

No Secretary of Health and Human Services or appointees in any of the department’s 19 key posts.
    No surgeon general
    No head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

27. Bridget said on 27 Apr 2009 at 4:04 pm:

This is how Obalma answered those concerned taxpayers: Trim $100 million.

“We cannot settle for a future of rising deficits and debts that our children cannot pay,” the president says, adding that we must “recognize that we cannot meet the challenges of today with old habits and stale thinking. So much of our government was built to deal with different challenges from a different era. Too often, the result is wasteful spending, bloated programs, and inefficient results. It’s time to fundamentally change the way that we do business in Washington.”

Get a firm grip, Sparti: We oppose reckless taxing and spending by both major political parties. Republicans Suck Too

King George Didn’t Listen To Us Either.

But Murtha gets millions in stimulus money for a 3 flights per day airport.

And this just in:

“The Treasury Department said Monday it will need to borrow $361 billion in the current April-June quarter, a record amount for that period.

It’s the third straight quarter the government’s borrowing needs have set records for those periods.”

28. wineplz said on 5 May 2009 at 1:10 pm:

starryflights said on 25 Apr 2009 at 7:43 pm:

“Did anyone reading here get to go to the Tea Party in D.C.? I was disappointed to see a lack of coverage for this event..nothing…not even Fox. Did many people show up?”

I was there. I have some pics on my site: http://www.wineplz.com/2009/04/15/dc-tea-party-april-15/

When I first arrived around 1pm or so there were about 1,000 people there. When I left a little after 3pm, there were still about 250-300 people there…this after we needed to clear the park for 20 minutes due to a package being thrown over the White House fence. From what I heard from one of the organizers, there were even more people before I arrived.