Gerry Connolly Fails “Fill In The Blank” Test

By Greg L | 25 June 2009 | Virginia Politics, US Congress | 12 Comments

A constituent contacts 11th District Congressman Gerry Connolly for help after being arrested at the Canadian border, and Gerry’s response doesn’t even fill in the blank on the form letter that serves as his response.  What an idiot.

1. Anonymous said on 25 Jun 2009 at 11:28 am:

He’s a demoncratic member of the House. No surprises here. One doesn’t have to read or write to get one of the seats. Just lots of MONEY!

2. BattleCat said on 26 Jun 2009 at 10:18 am:

I just called his office to ask him to vote “no” on cap-n-trade today. I know he’ll ignore it, but I wanted by voice heard just the same. I got right through, first time. Maybe others would like to call his office and let him know that extra taxes are not what we need right now.

3. Prester john said on 26 Jun 2009 at 2:22 pm:

I’ve called several times regarding becoming a co-sponsor of a bill to audit the Federal Reserve and voting no on “Cap and Trade”. Only once did the person answering the phone bother with asking for my address and phone number and of course I have never received a response of any kind.

Say what you will about Tom Davis, at least his people would take down your info so you’d get a timely written response from him that came reasonably close to addressing the issue you called about.

4. what's next said on 26 Jun 2009 at 4:06 pm:

I’ve sent him an email asking him to vote ‘NO’ on Cap and Trade… I urge everyone to do so as well.

5. BattleCat said on 26 Jun 2009 at 8:55 pm:

And of course….the worthless weenie voted yes.

6. Prester John said on 26 Jun 2009 at 9:39 pm:

Connolly is two for two now–he didn’t read the $787 billion stimulus bill and didn’t read Cap and Trade, and he voted for both.

That alone should be enough to toss him in 2010.

7. freedom said on 27 Jun 2009 at 6:39 am:

John, unfortunately it WON’T be enough. We knew what he was and what he would do during the campaign…yet, he was elected.

The only explanation I have for it is that there are simply too many people who don’t care enough to become informed on the issues.

…all the more reason to support the 4 July TEA party…until 2010, there’s not a lot more we can do. :(

8. Emma said on 27 Jun 2009 at 8:53 am:

That letter was in all likelihood auto-penned by Connelly’s summer intern, whose primary job qualification is likely being the progeny of some major donor.

9. B said on 27 Jun 2009 at 1:07 pm:

As the constituent in question and the original source of this material, let me just note that Connolly’s staff have been amazingly responsive and helpful. Yeah, I put up something on my blog that stirred that response, but I know how easy it is to drop the ball on something like that. We know how this works. It was just a slip on the part of some hapless intern who probably got themselves yelled at.

Again, his folks 1) are paying close attention to blog chatter, which means they’re competent, and; 2) have been really impressively responsive after a small initial goof.

Whichever way you slice it, his staff have done right by me. Honestly, Davis would have done the same…he was an exceptionally good Congressman, but just on his way out when I attempted to contact him.

10. Beloved Spear said on 27 Jun 2009 at 1:08 pm:

Sorry for the double comment…rackafrackin’

11. A PW County Resident said on 28 Jun 2009 at 11:29 am:

B, I sent an email to Mr. Connolly about an issue I had. His system is so good that after 5 months, I got an email telling me how good he is at listening to his constituents. It was entitled, “My Door Is Always Open”.

So while I am sure that he also felt like he was being responsive to me by not replying, it didn’t stop him from telling me how good he is by keeping his door open.

So much for his staff or his idea of constituent services.

12. Ron Homan said on 29 Jun 2009 at 6:00 pm:

The Gods from Mount Olympus do not read bills, emails, letters or smoke signals. In fact they don’t even draft the bills. Their senior staff gets with their special interests and that cabal drafts the bills. The sponsor of the bill probably doesn’t read it. The staffers and interns read and answer the constituents queries with canned responses much like when you are on hold…”your business is important to us please hold”. The so called “Representatives” are too busy looking for TV cameras and other means to get their face on the news, or at least in the fish wrap.