Jeanette Rishell: Used Condom Pics Are Mine!

By Greg L | 5 August 2009 | Jeanette Rishell | 19 Comments

Amazingly, Jeanette Rishell is complaining about the use of a picture of a used condom discarded in a toilet, saying use of that picture violates her campaign’s intellectual property.  That’s one I never heard before.

As always, you’re allowed to vote on this video!

UPDATE: Jeanette Rishell’s campaign manager from 2006 writes in the comments “I’ve just recently returned to your site Greg and am baffled by this. Good job on the production value of your vid; liked the music.

We at BVBL sure appreciate accolades from former employees of the Jeanette Rishell campaign that never posted pictures of used condoms on their facebook pages!  Looks like there are Democrats out there (we’ve noted plenty before, and this isn’t surprising) who have some issues with Rishell and aren’t happy with the radical left like Rishell trying to act as representatives of their party.

1. Bob Wills said on 5 Aug 2009 at 7:04 pm:

Greg
    When have you had as much fun as you have had with these pictures? Enjoy them to the fullest well that was before ” it ” were used…

2. Greg L said on 5 Aug 2009 at 7:28 pm:

I’ve had fun with a few others, to wit:

Jeanette Rishell picks the NVA Flag as her campaign logo in 2007

Judy Feder shows an unusual style of campaigning

Vandals deface Jackson Miller signs in 2006, thinking this will help them

Gosh, there are so many…

3. Matt said on 6 Aug 2009 at 10:46 am:

I’ve just recently returned to your site Greg and am baffled by this. Good job on the production value of your vid; liked the music. Have you heard any reaction from Janette’s campaign of DPVA?

4. anon said on 6 Aug 2009 at 11:49 am:

So if I take a picture of a used condom in a toilet, that picture belongs to her, too? How would she know?

5. Greg L said on 6 Aug 2009 at 12:02 pm:

Thanks Matt.

Rishell’s campaign issued a DCMA takedown notice on July 29th, and YouTube disabled the videos as is their policy. I responded with counter notices, and YouTube should re-enable he videos within ten to fourteen days unless Rishell wants to take this to court, I understand.

Some folks have contacted the campaign about this, but “Friends of Jeanette Rishell” are not talking about it very much. The back-channel information I am getting is that they are claiming the copyright violation on the basis of the used condom in the toilet picture, which I find rather surprising.

You have to wonder whether transfer of that picture from Ilana to the campaign will show up as an in-kind donation on her campaign finance reports, because if any property is tranferred to a political campaign, campaign finance laws dictate that be disclosed and a monetary value be assigned to the property being transferred. If the campaign fails to report it, it would be a violation and their DCMA takedown notice would have been fraudulent, because they wouldn’t actually own the material they’re trying to protect. It would be like me filing a DCMA takedown notice because someone made a video with Beatles music, which I don’t own the rights for.

If the campaign discloses this transfer in their campaign finance reports, then they would have the basis to assert ownership of the material in question and the DCMA takedown notice is not fraudulent, although I believe use of the photo falls under copyright “fair use”. That would be an interesting line item in a campaign finance report, however.

“Photo of used condom in toilet - $1.00 - Jeanette Rishell - Ilana Kaplan-Shain”

6. Danielle said on 6 Aug 2009 at 12:47 pm:

Clearly, you know nothing about campaign finance laws in the state of Virginia. In Kinds will only appear on a VA state report on schedule B if they are over $100 in value.

And I’ve never been inclined to comment before, but you are what is ruining the Republican Party. I’m sure you have better things to do with your time.

7. Jay Holt, American said on 6 Aug 2009 at 12:57 pm:

Everyone knows Jennete’s a big lesbo anyways. How many time is she gonna run and then lose before the socialists find a black to run?

8. Brian Leeper said on 6 Aug 2009 at 3:15 pm:

“In Kinds will only appear on a VA state report on schedule B if they are over $100 in value.”

That’s only partly true. What matters is the aggregate contribution amount in the election cycle.

If I give, say, a $60 toner cartridge to a campaign for printing out campaign literature, they don’t need to report that.

If I give them another $60 toner cartridge (in the same election cycle), then they need to report that AND the one I gave them before since the aggregate is now $120.

The same is true if I’d given them a $60 monetary contribution and a $60 toner cartridge.

From Schedule B:

“Itemization is required if:
    • the contribution is more than $100; or
    • the contributor has given previously to the committee and the contributor’s total contribution
    (aggregate) in this election cycle (the current reporting year if you are a committee) is more than
    $100″

also

“Once a contributor has been itemized on this schedule, all subsequent monies from that
    contributor, regardless of the amount, must be reported on all future reports for the election cycle
    (current reporting year for political committees.)”

9. Not Ilana Kaplan-Shain said on 6 Aug 2009 at 4:13 pm:

“Everyone knows Jennete’s a big lesbo anyways.”

She is not. She’s a friend of the gays, lesbians, bi-sexuals, transexuals, and the sexually deviant, but she isn’t a lesbian her self. Let’s be intellectually honest. With her, you don’t have to exagerate. The truth is sufficient.

10. Benton said on 6 Aug 2009 at 5:51 pm:

No, family values candidates take make the decision to take their pregnant teenage daughter on the road for job improvement opportunities!!!! I heart Sarah!

11. Come to the Dark Side We have Cookies said on 6 Aug 2009 at 8:33 pm:

Her campaign is in the toilet (literally) - she has official been “endorsed” by Katherine Gotthardt on Gotthardt’s blog. Excuse me while I go barf.

I think Not Ilana and Jay Holt have it right - and now we have discovered who her girlfriend, I mean closet supporter, I mean lesbian lover is.

12. Anon said on 6 Aug 2009 at 8:59 pm:

Why is the above necessary, Come to the Dark Side. Are you incapable of challenging Rishell on issues? You appear to think Not Ilana agrees with you, instead he/she argued for being intellectually honest, something that appears to be beyond you.

Why do you feel that you need to want to make things up, ala Greg with the bull-riding photo? What evidence do you have that Rishell, married for 39 years, mother of two, grandmother of 3, is a lesbian? You seem forever trapped at the level of the schoolyard. Is this really how Miller wants his supporters to act? It’s pathetic.

13. Come to the Dark Side We have Cookies said on 6 Aug 2009 at 9:34 pm:

Anon, why so defensive? Let’s see - challenge Rishell on the issues. Okay - can you direct me to where I can find what issues she is running on?

Just wondering, because in looking at her blog, all I can find is her biography and blog posts asking for a contribution. I looked under press releases and found 2 items - that her campaign contributions are now at $100k and that she is running. I see that she is running on a platform of strengthening our families, communities and the Commonwealth, but I haven’t seen anything else. Where does she stand?

If you can point me to where she has laid out her campaign (without lying about Miller’s voting record or embellishing/padding her resume), I will gladly look at it.

And BTW, there were other comments made before mine. It just sounds like mine hit a nerve - perhaps you protest too much?

14. Anonymous said on 6 Aug 2009 at 11:20 pm:

What kind of absolute idiot would say that pictures of used condoms are their property and file a copyright claim in order to protect them? Is this woman completely off her rocker?

What a total idiot.

15. Anon said on 7 Aug 2009 at 5:26 am:

Come to the Dark Side, I answered your comment, but my reply disappeared. Here’s a short recap, although maybe it will disappear as well.

1. Protest too much? Struck a nerve? Why are you so fixated on innuendo? I replied to your comment because it came after your fellow conservative Not Ilana stated unequivocally that Rishell was not a lesbian and talked of the need for intellectual honesty, yet you still ran with it. The only other person in this thread making the lesbian allegation (other than you) was Jay Holt. His wording makes him a perfect schoolyard mate for you.

2. I agree Rishell’s website is WOEFULLY inadequate. But you can use Google to find her positions (stated by her or by her opponents) quite easily, including Post coverage. I saw, for example, comments on traffic and growth. This isn’t her first campaign. You can also look at the positions Greg claims she has. Rishell has certainly been a pet project. So if you wished to bring up the issues you could. If you don’t want to do the digging, I still do not see why you choose to imply that a woman married 39 years, a mother and grandmother, is a lesbian without offering any evidence. Or maybe you are Jay Holt just repeating yourself? In any case, where is either the proof or the relevance?

16. JM said on 7 Aug 2009 at 9:16 am:

I gotta agree with Anon on this one. Jay Holt’s comment was way over the line. I found it appalling that someone would use such a hateful and inappropriate word that has no place in an intelligent discussion about the candidate or issues. Jay, were you sent over here by the Anti site to try to discredit the arguments here by making it look like someone who agrees with us is either hateful or an imbecile? Such speech does not hurt Rishell, nor does it help Miller. Stick to the facts and issues when it comes to Rishell. There is more than enough ammunition to be found.

Kudos to the poster who linked the toilet pic to the state of Rishell’s campaign. As with her last two campaigns, hers is again in the toilet. She always does well at fundraising, but all the money in the Commonwealth won’t be enough–she can’t even buy the votes she needs to win an election.

17. ulul u spinsrap said on 7 Aug 2009 at 1:52 pm:

From Twinkie Ben’s Twitter feed, it looks like he, Rishell, and Chuckie Caputo are meeting on Monday in Vienna (and it’s on Obambi’s “Organizing for America” letterhead). See http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/gpf3hb. Anyone going to crash that party?

18. Greg L said on 7 Aug 2009 at 2:49 pm:

Readers might be interested in this strange observation:

YouTube registered 301 hits on this video up until noon on August 6th, but not one single view after that. Other videos are registering views, but not this one. Other sites where this video is available, but not being promoted are showing views, but YouTube is not.

I’m going to try an experiment and change the link to another service.

19. Anonymous said on 9 Aug 2009 at 7:42 am:

She is a M-o-o-n-b-a-t, folks, and a perfect exmaple of who democrats want to elect to GOVERN you. That is, make the laws you live under that she would WRITE.