DHS Revises Section 287(g) Program

By Greg L | 24 August 2009 | Illegal Aliens, Crime, Prince William County | 16 Comments

The Department of Homeland has finally issued the revised agreement that would govern the participation of dozens of localities, including Prince William County, Manassas and Manassas Park, in the Section 287(g) Program according to the DC Examiner.  So far, there are few details, but nothing reported to date would indicate any significant change in how our local law enforcement helps remove criminal illegal aliens from our community.  Prince William County has until early October to accept the new agreement, or terminate participation in the program. My suspicion is that the changes have more to deal with the Administration’s running battle with Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona rather than us.  “Sheriff Joe” has brilliantly used the Section 287(g) Program and other authorities to conduct workplace raids and immigration sweeps in the troubled Phoenix area, something Prince William County Police Chief Charlie Deane would never have the guts to do.  That has drawn the ire of DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano, and this seems to be one of the ways DHS is trying to reign in this maverick who is getting tremendous results while really upsetting a lot of liberals.

I’ll try to get more information on what these changes are specifically, and what they may mean for us as soon as possible.

1. el Abogado said on 24 Aug 2009 at 9:16 am:

Sherriff Joe gets “tremendous results?” I’m not so sure. Phoenix still has a pretty big problem.

2. Cynic said on 24 Aug 2009 at 1:25 pm:

“Phoenix still has a pretty big problem.”

The reason there is a “pretty big problem” is because the politicians and their allies do not allow the Feds. to eradicate the problem. Given the limited resources under his command, I have to conclude that Sheriff Joe is achieving tremendous results - in spite of his distractors and the obstacles placed in his way by the DOJ and the rotten ACLU and their ilk.

3. Johnson said on 24 Aug 2009 at 2:59 pm:

Here’s a shocker!

4. Advocator said on 24 Aug 2009 at 3:08 pm:

Arpaio certainly gets enough publicity, but I’m not sure his results are “tremendous.” There are publicity hounds on both sides of this (as every) issue, and discerning the wheat from the chaff can be difficult when relying only on the press releases for info. If he’s doing what he can do with the tools at his disposal, then God bless him. If he’s just using this issue to make a name for himself, he’s no better than the folks on the other side of the issue. Anyone I talk to in Phoenix says the place continues to deteriorate, despite his efforts. I can’t agree that there are any “tremendous results” down there.

Show me a drop in the ESOL students. Show me a drop in uninsured patients at the hospitals. Show me a drop in crimes committed by illegals. Those would be “tremendous results.” Raiding a few safe houses every now and then is not my idea of results. The number of times you get your picture in the paper is not one of my criteria for a successful program.

5. Johnson said on 24 Aug 2009 at 4:15 pm:

Sheriff Joe is at least making the effort. If all law enforcement agencies approached the illegal alien issue as he has, we wouldn’t have enough outbound lanes at the border to handle the traffic back to Mexico.

6. Wolverine said on 24 Aug 2009 at 6:33 pm:

A little clarification, please. There is a claim here that the situation in Phoenix is deteriorating. I seem to recall that Sheriff Joe’s territory is Maricopa County and that Phoenix has its own full-service police department. Can Sheriff Joe be held responsible for the illegal alien situation in the city of Phoenix? That would certainly be unusual, wouldn’t it?

7. Truth to Power said on 24 Aug 2009 at 6:36 pm:

This is sweet… It actually looks like the Town of Herndon gets significantly more authority than it had before in this one-size-fits-all agreement. Pass the word.. Herndon is going to amp-up the enforcement… sweet. Via con Dios.

8. Arnold Horschak said on 24 Aug 2009 at 8:24 pm:

I have cousins who live in Maricopa County. They ALL say they feel like the only “representation” they get for THEIR tax dollars comes from Sherrif Joe.
    As someone who has been run out of her home TWICE by these people… I find Sherrif Joe downright heartwarming. At least SOMEONE is listening to us…….

9. Insider said on 24 Aug 2009 at 8:48 pm:

I was in a position to see the new MOU, and it includes something very interesting: it authorizes 287(g) participants to execute search warrants. That would mean that if a locality finds evidence of unlawful hiring of illegal aliens and obtains a search warrant, they could conduct a workplace enforcement raid. A supervisory agent from ICE would have to oversee the operation, just as they currently oversee the entire program presently, but no other MOU to my knowledge ever provided this kind of authority.

The other salient change is that instead of having a list of offenses that would authorize an immigration status check, any offense would allow it and ICE would take illegal aliens on a three-tier priority basis. They might not take all the illegal aliens if they don’t have the resources however, so those agreements to remove illegals within 72 hours would cease.

Lots of operational questions yet to be answered, but there are some interesting surprises in there.

10. Anonymous said on 24 Aug 2009 at 10:58 pm:

el Abogado said on 24 Aug 2009 at 9:16 am: Flag comment

Yes, and every day the problem gets smaller and smaller thanks to Sheriff Joe.

11. CharacterCountsKris said on 25 Aug 2009 at 3:02 am:

I’ve been impressed with what Sheriff Joe has done. He is a great mix of toughness (and by that I simply mean doing a great job to stop illegal immigration) but also inovative. I read recently that he worked hard to put a program in place that allows prison inmates to staff animal shelters. They rehabilitate the animals, give them back their dignity and by doing so, learn empathy and responsibility for another being. I think Sheriff Joe is a great guy - an interesting mix of charitableness, helping the inmates in his jurisdiction to become contributing members of society while also being a strong enforcer of the laws his constituents elected him to enforce. Way to go! And by the way, I live in Manassas Park and met Delegate Jackson Miller the other day when he was going door to door trying to gain support for his re-election (I think?) in November, and I expressed my hope that if he were re-elected he would work towards supporting laws that protect our citizens from illegal immigration. It seems he is already doing that from what I have learned. I am new to the area so am still learning who is who. So glad that PWC has cracked down on illegal immigration. Glad to have any immigrant here who is here legally though! They add to the richness and texture of our country.

12. CharacterCountsKris said on 25 Aug 2009 at 3:04 am:

By the way, here’s a link to that article about Sheriff Joe and the staffing of prisoners at the local animal shelters:

13. Advocator said on 25 Aug 2009 at 8:57 am:

Thanks for the info, Insider. Subtle changes like what you described by this administration might turn me into a Democrat yet. It seems like Obama is coming to the realization that the people who are hurt the most by the illegal Invaders are the people who “brung him to the dance,” to paraphrase Darrell Royal.

14. Benton said on 26 Aug 2009 at 7:53 am:

As always, it comes down to $ and who will pay for what services as part of the ‘participation’. The feds gave some $ or provided some infrastructure and will now pull that out leaving the locals with the cost.

15. Benton said on 26 Aug 2009 at 11:34 am:

Advocator - those that “brung him to the dance” are typically business owners. Not your typical Democrat. I think that’s what this has been about all along. It’s all about the money……. always has been.

16. Black Saint said on 30 Aug 2009 at 12:33 pm:

It is very simple even a Left wing liberal should be able to comprehend. You cannot allow a tidal wave of Uneducated third world rejects that are Anti-education, Anti-American, Pro-welfare, Pro-gangs, Pro-uncontrolled breeding that starts early & often into a first world Nation without transforming the Nation into a facsimile of the very Nation the invaders are fleeing!