Remember the Fallen, Forget the Politics

By Greg L | 8 September 2009 | National Politics, Patriotism | 25 Comments

Guest Post by Sanford D. Horn

For my grandparents it was December 7, 1941. For my parents it was November 22, 1963 and July 20, 1969. For us it will always be September 11, 2001.

Dates that define a generation.

Whether it was the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor as the impetus to the United States’ full scale involvement in World War II, the assassination of John F. Kennedy and landing a man on the moon punctuating the turbulence that was the ‘60s, or the most horrific and worst attacks perpetrated against this nation by a foreign enemy on our soil, ask Americans where they were on those pivotal dates and there will be no hesitation in an answer.

Working on a deadline, I wrote from home that day finalizing my news articles when the attacks on the World Trade Center came across the Fox News Channel playing in the background. Then the Pentagon was struck; and finally the plane crash in Pennsylvania. From that moment, everything changed. We were at war and the signs were visible. Immediately reporters from the newspaper for which I worked were dispatched throughout the various communities we covered. All other stories were back-burnered.

For me, that community was Herndon, and upon first notice, the streets around downtown were abandoned, save for a sight I had not seen there before. Members of the Herndon Police Department patrolled the streets with large firearms. The friendly-faced uniformed officers, never looked more serious in their diligence to ensure the public safety on that day and the days to follow.

We came together as a nation to mourn the loss of nearly 3,000 human beings – mostly Americans, but all living in America, some from the countries that spawned the evil that had been perpetrated upon this nation. I don’t know anyone who does not have a personal connection to September 11, 2001 – whether they lost a loved one, survived the attacks themselves or currently serves in the armed forces as a result of the attacks.

There was a call to arms that day and the nation responded without asking political parties. Just as the day after Franklin Roosevelt declared that December 7 was a “date which will live in infamy,” Congress declared war on Japan by a unanimous vote, save for one member of the House.

(That member was Jeannette Rankin (R-MT), the first woman elected to Congress, who said after her “nay” vote, that “as a woman I can’t go to war, and I refuse to send anyone else.”)

The vote to enter WWII involved no party jockeying; it was a unified decision to protect and defend the nation.

When JFK was assassinated, the nation mourned as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans. The citizens, the regular folks, are not behaving in a political manner as we embark upon the eighth anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

September 11 has since been appropriately labeled Patriot’s Day. It is a day that should be reserved for remembering the fallen – those who lost their lives that day, and those who continue to lose their lives fighting in the global war on terror. September 11, 2009 should not be a day for rallying people to support a political agenda or demonizing a news network as the Obama administration is doing.

“Organizing for America,” an organization linked to the Obama administration via its website BarackObama.com, has called for using September 11 as a day to call senators in support of the Obama-care and also get out a message to “fight back against our own Right-Wing Domestic Terrorists who are subverting the American Democratic Process, whipped into a frenzy by their Fox Propaganda Network ceaselessly re-seizing power for their treacherous leaders.”

While this administration sullies the memories of the victims of the enemy attacks on American soil with its politicization of Patriot Day-irrelevant issues and denigration a media outlet whose job it is to keep the American people informed, it is also on a quest to reduce this nation’s military capabilities in a manner detrimental to our safety.

I offer this non-political notion from Ronald Reagan, who called for “peace through strength.” On this September 11, remember the fallen, forget the politics.

Sanford D. Horn is a writer and political consultant living in Alexandria, VA.

1. wineplz said on 8 Sep 2009 at 7:37 pm:

Thank you for remembering…it seems so many have already forgotten all that we lost on that day.

2. FED UP said on 8 Sep 2009 at 7:48 pm:

I will NEVER forget that day….
    Thanks for posting, Greg.

3. James Young said on 8 Sep 2009 at 10:51 pm:

I had taken that early-morning flight to LA — the one that crashed into the Pentagon, taking among others Barbara Olson and the wife of a college classmate — but my family members, knowing of my frequent travels, only called in to our receptionist to make sure I was in the office that day.

I finally talked to my 87-year-old grandfather that evening. He had lost his son, my uncle and namesake, in 1957, in a B-29 crash in Alaska. Couldn’t even talk about him until he was in his 80s. He hated flying as a result, so we didn’t tell him when I traveled. And the first thing he said to me, a man who only used “prime-time cuss words” as long as I knew him, was “I thought I’d only have to live through this sh** once.”

“wineplz” has it right. Too many have forgotten.

4. mijadedios said on 9 Sep 2009 at 12:01 am:

I had to click on the apology just to see what you would say! lol. I like that kind of sick humor. Yes, we need to never forget. Unlike those more popular theories that ‘Bush’ did it, I believe real terrorists were behind the plot. Islamic terror has been around for a long time, long before 9-11. Looking forward to an even I plan to attend in remembrance.

5. bmo said on 9 Sep 2009 at 12:25 am:

I drove by the Pentagon that morning and some 10 minutes later I could see the black smoke from the Pentagon raising high into the sky from my 9th floor office building, I remember a co-worker with a little 9″ B&W TV (she used to watch her daytime soaps with) all the employees huddled around her for any news. Ir was a very long day. I commend the brave men and women of that day. Never Forget Our Fallen!

Thanks!

6. Maureen said on 9 Sep 2009 at 4:38 am:

And for those who have a fuzzy picture of that day, you need to watch this and remember what it was like. God Bless America and all of the victims of 9-11. I will NEVER forget!

7. Dave in PWC said on 9 Sep 2009 at 6:16 am:

Thank you Maureen for that link. Still very moving to me. I was on the west coast dockside on a submarine testing a recent combat system installation and was actually in the radio room when the fleet wide alert went out for all ships to sortie. Alas we could not, but I watched two cruisers, three destroyers, an aircraft carrier, five submarines and several supply ships leave the harbor in less than two hours.

We finished our testing and drove back to the east coast since the airlines were grounded and I was amazed at the way the country came together. Every overpass had a flag or sign on it, some had OBL hanging, dangling above the interstate. I will never forget

8. Not SPLC said on 9 Sep 2009 at 8:24 am:

I am amazed at how 9-11 is no longer real for many people. I wonder if any of the schools do a tribute to the victims on 9-11, anyone know? Do they teach kids about what happened on that day?

9. Robert L. Duecaster said on 9 Sep 2009 at 8:25 am:

I heard a “thunk” as my colleague and I watched a tower burn on his monitor. I knew from experience that we had also been hit and told him to grab his stuff and get out. No alarm rang. Our office personnel ran out into the corridor that was already crowded. Once out of the Corridor # 2 exit, I ran around the parking lot to the point of impact (about 1/2 mile). The smoke blew away just enough so I could see the gaping hole. I ran toward it, the wind changed, and the smoke enveloped and choked me. I went down on my knees, my head into the ground, gasping for fresh air. In between coughs, I could hear the screams. A member of the Pentagon Police Force grabbed me by the collar and asked if I was alright, I nodded yes, and he told me to get the hell out of there. I pointed to where I thought the screams were coming from, and he ran into the smoke while putting his gas mask on.

The next several days we had to stand in lines to get into the Building as more stringent security measures were put in place. As remains were found, the coffins were hauled by us on small trailers pulled by garden tractors.

I won’t forget.

10. Michelle said on 9 Sep 2009 at 8:50 am:

Thank you Maureen for the link! I will never forget and pray to God that no one else will either! God Bless!!

11. Tillie said on 9 Sep 2009 at 10:28 am:

The days and weeks after 9/11 was a time when America was truly united. We mourned together; we helped each other; we forgot about our own petty little problems. The whole world was with us.

I remember reading about a small village on Greenland that took in a plane load of passengers from an American airline that was not allowed to land in the US; housed and fed them for days. Everybody loved America at that time.

Didn’t last too long though, sorry to say. Then came the fiasco of Homeland Security Dept with duct tape, plastic sheeting, Cipro, gasmasks, safe rooms. As always, hype overtook good sense. The hatred of ALL things Muslim.

Suddenly, and for the first time, America had a taste of what’s taking place in many places on earth every day. We are indeed fortunate to live in this country. Just imagine, if we could unite again and work together to make this country even better. Instead we find ourselved being more and more divided in almost every way.

Will it take another 9/11 to bring us together?

12. Anon35 said on 9 Sep 2009 at 11:37 am:

Well, if we don’t take security more seriously, and soon, we’re not going to have a real choice about it, are we?

13. Tillie said on 9 Sep 2009 at 1:20 pm:

Anon35

What do you mean? Are you saying that we don’t take security seriously any more? Could you give me a reason for you statement, please. What’s lacking?

14. Tyler Durden said on 9 Sep 2009 at 1:47 pm:

Buy guns and ammo, my friends.

15. Anon35 said on 9 Sep 2009 at 3:48 pm:

Tillie said on 9 Sep 2009 at 1:20 pm:

Not anymore? How about NEVER. Prime example: the US/Mexican border. How many terrorists do you think have already slipped through the border, because it’s so damn open? That’s just ONE example.

16. Tillie said on 9 Sep 2009 at 4:06 pm:

A35

Do you have any viable suggestions about what to do to seal our southern border?

We also have thousands of miles of coastline to watch.

17. Allison said on 9 Sep 2009 at 4:15 pm:

Thank you Maureen for the link about 9-11. My keyboard and desk were soaked afterwards.

We need to remember the threats facing our freedom, our liberty, and our country by (i) terrorists who want to kill us, and (ii) those who have no respect for our Constitution or the laws of the U.S.A.

The military and first responders have the most thankless jobs in our nation - yet they are the heros that protect us and keep us safe. I have the utmost respect for all of them and I truly appreciate all they do for us and our country.

God bless the families of the fallen.

18. Wolverine said on 9 Sep 2009 at 4:15 pm:

Tillie, I would throw in just a few items in response to your query: (1) A failure after eight years to adequately secure critical parts of our southern border; (2) Another undermining of morale at the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center which is apparently of great concern to DCI Leon Panetta; and (3) A growing falloff in support among the public in the U.S. and NATO for the military effort against the Taliban in Afghanistan, leaving us once again with the possibility of al-Qaeda operating from a semi-secure base in that area.

I want that southern border secured. There is no excuse for this failure. If illegals can continue to slip through the gaps, others much more nefarious will not be far behind. I strongly suspect that some may already be here. I also want the Feds to lay off the CIA counterterrorist operatives and allow them to do their work. I personally witnessed the undermining which took place during the Clinton administration; and, believe you me, that was a tactical disaster for all of us. I give Panetta credit for recognizing the current problem and fighting against it. Thirdly, I am four-square behind Obama in trying to keep the Afghanistan effort on track. If he cannot do this and if a failure on our part causes both a Taliban victory and a Pakistani unwillingness to continue their current efforts on the Pak-Afghan border, we could wind up in some ways right back in a pre-9/11 security posture.

19. Disgusted said on 9 Sep 2009 at 4:58 pm:

Stu,

Did you have to blast the Obama supporters? YOU went political on what was otherwise a great piece.

Wolverine,

You understand, my friend. Lets not forget the northern border either. Go on Google maps and go to the North Dakota / Canada border. Wide open! That scares me more because everyone is fixated on Mexico.

20. Bridget said on 9 Sep 2009 at 6:18 pm:

On the morning of 9/11 2001, my youngest son, 10 at the time, was on a school bus headed for DC and a Smithsonian Museum field trip. Minutes after the plane struck the Pentagon, his bus, along with other traffic, was diverted away from DC … and had to pass directly in front of the impact sight. For a few stunning moments he, along with the bus driver and all the other students had nothing but the Pentagon parking lot between them and the devastation. He will live with that picture, that memory, for the rest of his life. I will never forget the look on his bus driver’s face when he apologized for not being able to shield the children from that view. To say the man was torn up doesn’t come close.

One brother of mine was driving to work, north on I 270 in Brooklyn, NY, which runs parallel to the East river. He had a clear shot view of the Manhattan skyline … the Twin Towers billowing smoke. He later found every surface in his apartment covered in a fine white dust … the dust and ashes of the dead settled on his sheets, books, plants, pets, sofa…. For weeks following the falling of the towers, he and his wife would find and collect that powder. Sacred, sorrowful stuff.

Another brother awoke early on that morning in Connecticut … with three surgeries scheduled before noon. Many of the medical staff from his hospital were hurriedly transported by helicopter to lower Manhattan to aid the injured.

What haunts him to this day was the sight of countless medical personel, waiting at the ready, for patients who never arrived.

We will never forget the impact and aftermath of 9/11. We will forever mourn our dead and honor their memories by saying never surrender. Thank you Greg for posting this thread and giving us voice.

We are all 9/11 families.

21. Citizen12 said on 9 Sep 2009 at 7:41 pm:

I too will never forget 9/11/2001.

Neither will I forget who brought this upon us.

How many are aware of the events planned for 9/25/2009?

ISLAM ON CAPITOL HILL

2 0 0 9

OUR TIME HAS COME

“We are going to the White House so that Islam will be victorious, Allah willing, and the White House will become Muslim House.”

22. Groveton said on 9 Sep 2009 at 10:42 pm:

I worked on the 80th floor of the North Tower for two years. I had been back in Virginia for years before the attacks. However, I was in the restaurant (Windows on the World) in early September, 2001 for a fund raiser. Had I been in either place on Sept. 11, 2001 I would have died in the attack. As it is, 12 of my co-workers perished that day in the World Trade Center. A friend lost his brother in the Pentagon. Another friend lost his son one one of the planes out of Boston.

Nobody has forgotten.

23. Tillie said on 10 Sep 2009 at 9:33 am:

Citizen 12

Very interesting and very disturbing to say the least. Haven’t seen any news about this anywhere where I look for news.

Maybe this would be the time for PWC protesters to make themselves seen>

24. Bridget said on 10 Sep 2009 at 8:05 pm:

25. Anon35 said on 10 Sep 2009 at 11:24 pm:

Tillie said on 9 Sep 2009 at 4:06 pm: Flag comment
    A35
    We also have thousands of miles of coastline to watch.

Tillie - Why don’t you exercise a few brain cells and come up with some ideas….since you think our country is so secure!!!!??????? How ARE we protecting our coast lines and borders? You don’t seem to think we need to anything more, right???? You think everything is just peachy keen -