9-12 DC Tea Party Open Thread

By Greg L | 12 September 2009 | National Politics | 43 Comments

The Tea Party Express goes into full gear in Washington, DC today with rallies, marches and a huge protest in front of the Capitol.  I won’t be able to make it, but know that a lot of my readers will, and will be eager to share their observations and stories in the comments thread below.

UPDATE: Reports are that between one and two million people attended this event.  Phenominal.

1. Third Manassas said on 12 Sep 2009 at 11:44 am:

If the Drudge Report headlines are right, they are running.

Stand our ground, stand for what is right and don’t fall for the personal attacks that will come and we will have them.

2. Snapped Shot said on 12 Sep 2009 at 11:51 am:

Go Team! Rally in DC Attracts Thousands!…

Did I say “thousands?”

I must’ve taken counting lessons from CNN:

For up-to-the-minute coverage of this historic event, please read: Michelle Malkin, The Jawa Report, Ace of Spades, Six Meat Buffet, Gateway Pundit, Pirate’s Cove (heh), Ho…

3. BattleCat said on 12 Sep 2009 at 2:10 pm:

I’m thinking of a new marketing-style campaign….Obama “urinal flies”.

4. starryflights said on 12 Sep 2009 at 4:12 pm:

DH and I were there. I was really impressed with the turn out.

5. KBlowhard Watchdog said on 12 Sep 2009 at 4:15 pm:

FYI . . .

The anti loonies are starting their crap again about the tea parties. Basically, everyone that attends is a racist, wealthy elitist that shouldn’t be concerned about the “middle class”. In fact:

Posting As Pinko
    September 12th, 2009 at 15:10 | #22
    Reply | Quote

It’s not the middle class organizing and running the tea parties, as far as I know.

Ahhh . . . remember folks - free speech and the right to assemble is only for those who are those that are here illegally and those that support illegal immigration! Remember when MWB marched “thousands” to the BOCS meeting - freedom of assembly, the anti loonies cried. Now, if citizens try to do it, it’s a different story:

Posting As Pinko
    September 12th, 2009 at 10:00 | #1
    Reply | Quote

“…including those who carry swastika signs or obsess over the veracity of Obama’s Hawaiian birth.” Okay, this is BAD. I have blogged with at least one tea-partier and he doesn’t qualify as a Nazi-nut. I can totally understand protesting taxes and I have no problem with is (so long as it’s not on the 4th of July or in front of a retirement home). But this is just pure hatred and it is being encouraged. This needs to end now.

I love how she’s dictating when and where people can demonstrate. Sorry, I mean US CITIZENS can demonstrate. Now, I’m sure if this was a march of MWB, she’d be screaming from the rooftops that it’s their “American” right.

6. chuck said on 12 Sep 2009 at 5:45 pm:

I didnt know there were restrictions on “where” to demonstrate? I guess it depends on the person. They are just upset because their hero is being shown up by pissed off citizens.

If it were the Mexicans without borders marching this would be a non-issue with them as they just LOVE illegal aliens.

7. chuck said on 12 Sep 2009 at 5:46 pm:

as for elitists…many of those on the anti board are self-styled, non-working elitists, they are the ones who should be out their protesting since their tax money is getting pissed away by barry.

8. es_la_ley said on 12 Sep 2009 at 7:22 pm:

chuck said on 12 Sep 2009 at 5:46 pm:

…many of those on the anti board are self-styled, non-working elitists,

You are too kind.

That would never happen. The collective white-guilt psychosis they have prevents them from realizing what liberty, and the never-ending fight for it, is all about.

Just my $0.02.

9. Greg L said on 12 Sep 2009 at 7:45 pm:

From our friends over in Maryland:

What an amazing experience to be able to participate in today’s Tea Party Rally in DC. The number of participants were off the charts, with hundreds of thousands of citizens from around the U.S. in attendance.

Freedom Plaza could not even begin to handle such a large crowd. The march to the Capital Building was started almost 2 hours early because of the unprecedented number of rally participants.

Kudos to Freedom Works for bringing this event together, to FOX and CNN for fully covering this historic event and to all the Americans who spent their precious time and money to come to DC to express their disgust with our elected officials in Washington.

I enjoyed meeting and talking with so many like minded citizens. A good turnout from HSM and other MD groups. HSM PG Coordinator Pree Glenn-Graves did a wonderful job during her interview with FOX Baltimore TV.

One thing is clear. Citizens united in cause and spirit can not be denied by our lawless representatives in Congress.

Healthcare and Amnesty for Illegal Aliens are TOAST. But only if we work together in the coming months to give a proper burial to both concepts. Help Save Maryland!

Brad Botwin, Director
    Help Save Maryland

10. Greg L said on 12 Sep 2009 at 7:48 pm:

Joe at NovaTownHall has his report, plus a video of the event here: http://novatownhall.com/2009/09/12/tea-party-express-9-12-project-first-report/

11. Greg L said on 12 Sep 2009 at 7:49 pm:

Crystal Clear Conservative was also there and has coverage here: http://www.crystalclearconservative.com/2009/09/12/live-from-912dc/

12. Anon35 said on 12 Sep 2009 at 7:57 pm:

A friend of mine attended and said that apparently there were over 300 buses that came in from all over the country!!!

13. Maureen said on 12 Sep 2009 at 8:00 pm:

I just got home from the TEA PARTY! What an amazing sight! 450 buses from all over the country, with some that were being turned away. We have heard estimates of 1.5 million people being there. The roar of the crowd was deafing.

And for those of you that bad mouth this event you can go to H@#l It was a peaceful demonstration to show that the “middle class” has had enough of government spending and of government shoving Obamacare down our throats. Once again this has nothing to do with being racists and those comments are REALLY old!

I will upload my pictures tomorrow and give you all the link to see this amazing moment in history.

In the mean time go to michellemalkin.com to see the crowd!

14. boo hoo said on 12 Sep 2009 at 8:01 pm:

KBlowhard Watchdog said on 12 Sep 2009 at 4:15 pm: Flag comment
    FYI . . .
    The anti loonies are starting their crap again about the tea parties…..

Watchdog - doesn’t surprise me. They are so back asswards. They still haven’t posted any of my comments … because I made valid points against the way they do “business”…. they continue to converse with themselves…. not interested in any outside views. Their loss.

15. Truth to Power said on 12 Sep 2009 at 8:19 pm:

Wow! Thanks Patriots.

16. Maureen said on 12 Sep 2009 at 8:20 pm:

WTOP said there were thousands. Look at this and tell me there were only thousands.

12:34pm Eastern: Police estimate 1.2 million in attendance. ABC News reporting crowd at 2 million, tweets Tabitha Hale from D.C.

I’m sure this will drive the anti’s nuts!

17. starryflights said on 12 Sep 2009 at 9:06 pm:

The metro was jammed at 9 in the morning. There were lines to the wall and out the door to buy tickets. DH and I waited in line for 20 minutes before we reached the machines to buy the tickets.

18. Greg L said on 12 Sep 2009 at 11:00 pm:

Pics available at Augusta Conservative:

Also at Virginia Right:

19. startover said on 12 Sep 2009 at 11:23 pm:

What a Great Day! Watched every minute on Fox TV. It was fantastic.

All the ones I heard said 1.5 m to 2. million. This I believe.

We need to keep it going.Many of us could not go because of Health Reasons,but we called people on the phone making them aware of Fox.

Great, Great turn out. And Thank You everyone for spending your time,showing how we the average Citizens feel.

20. werf said on 13 Sep 2009 at 5:14 am:

OMG. You guys dont know how to put a rally together or count. Tens of thousands maybe. Millions? Not quite. And if you are tired of all the government spending, where were you during the Bush administration?

21. legal2 said on 13 Sep 2009 at 7:26 am:

werf, libs arent’s exactly good at counting - check out their estimates of stimulus package, cash4clunkers, cap&trade, ‘bama healthcare, etc. and compare to what those really cost, and what experts project.

22. Bridget said on 13 Sep 2009 at 9:25 am:

Well, werf, at least you acknowledge that there was something going down on the National Mall!

“The White House said Friday it was unaware of a rally.” Pathetic.

Deny and undercount at your own risk.

9/12 was real and it was magnificent! Truly inspiring.

Lots of great homemade signs - One of my favorites :

“Joe Wilson for President 20012 - He spoke the truth when he said You Lie. Let Representative Government Live.

I wore my “George Washington for President” button which lots of folks liked… (found it at the Mount Vernon gift shop)

I spoke with families, college kids, church groups and an assortment of individuals who hailed from Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, the Carolinas, Ohio, Florida, Maryland and Texas who are fed up and done with government thievery, business takeovers, open border policy, infringement of liberties from BOTH parties.

Enjoyed bumping into a great American and my favorite cab driver … we met years ago when I needed a taxi to take me to Dulles Airport. He had his radio tuned into the Limbaugh radio show and explained why Rush was his hero. He had come to this country from Vietnam in the mid 1970’s… married a fellow refugee and raised two daughters to embrace and respect the American dream. Of the 9/12 event, he said “This is a best happy day for me”

And don’t forget…Tea parties were held all across the country. Whatever the DC crowd count ends up being… it sure felt like a very healthy July 4th on the Mall

23. citizenofmanassas said on 13 Sep 2009 at 9:27 am:

Werf,

There were plenty of conservatives pissed at Bush. All you have to do is look at his poll numbers and the number of stories over the last 4 years to see how conservatives felt about Bush. The question, though, now, should be were are all of the loony left that protested during the Bush years? Where are they concerned about spending? About how bad Congress is running the Country, how Obama only listens to what he wants to hear and does not take into account anyone else’s opinion, which was a charge the left used against Bush.

Cindy Sheehan went to Martha’s Vineyard while obama was there and came away very disappointed that she was not joined by many protesters, and felt it was all just politics during the Bush years.

24. Bridget said on 13 Sep 2009 at 9:58 am:

20012=2012. I can count. Just can’t type. And forgot to add that I look forward to 9/12/ 2010… right before the election!

25. Bridget said on 13 Sep 2009 at 1:27 pm:

Some great shots of the event - Check out the comparison of post Obama inauguration and post 9/12 Mall…

26. Greg L said on 13 Sep 2009 at 2:52 pm:

An email from a good friend who attended:

What an awesome event and day. Lin and I were there…and I don’t know why Fox News is saying “10’s of thousands”….unless they’re just being modest and letting the networks give their assessments….1.5 to 2.0 Million…even yesterday, ABC estimated two million.

I have never seen anything like it…it was difficult to get around, of course, because of the crowd, but the very impressive thing to me was the conduct of the crowd. Not once, during the entire day did I witness any any rudeness. If accidentally bumped, there was an immediate “excuse me.” These were “salt-of-the-earth” kind of people who have had enough! We talked to people from all over the country that came to Washington for this event and they all said, “If necessary, we’ll come back next year and bring our friends.”

To avoid traffic coming into and leaving Washington, Lin and I spent the nights of 11 and 12 Sep at the Mayflower, and it was FULL of “marchers”…everyone saying thing like “thanks for coming.”

What a wonderful experience…

27. Bridget said on 13 Sep 2009 at 3:05 pm:

You can see in some of the photos a segment of The Mall - between the Washington Monument and Capitol - that was off limits. Tents had been set up for National Black Family Reunion.

28. Slick said on 13 Sep 2009 at 9:23 pm:

Two million mad as hell citizens show up on the mall and not one major network besides FOX reports it, nah there’s no leftist bias in the media.

29. DPortM said on 14 Sep 2009 at 5:31 am:

Slick, actually CNN was covering it live. My brother called me while I was at the march to tell me that they were actually presenting a favorable viewpoint on Joe Wilson.

The march was amazingly inspiring. For those of you who haven’t attended a TEA party, I recommend you attend one to see just how amazing they actually are.

There is hope yet for our country that we can stem the tide of out-of-control spending and out-of-control government.

My favorite t-shirt at the march was:

I would rather be a conservative nut job than a liberal with no nuts and no job.

My favorite sticker was:

Flip this House 2010

My favorite sign:
    YOU LIE! (with the Obama logo as the O)

Everywhere I looked -as far as my eyes could see - there were people with signs. The crowd was polite and courteous. I met people from all over the U.S. who flew/drove/or bused to DC just to stand up for our Constitution and our Country.

30. Bridget said on 14 Sep 2009 at 6:23 am:

“The White House said Friday it was unaware of a rally.”

Hey Obama - it looks like your ACORN pals were plenty aware:

31. anonny said on 14 Sep 2009 at 8:44 am:

DPortM said on 14 Sep 2009 at 5:31 am:

My favorite t-shirt at the march was:

NICE!! You know, we could make a lot of money selling shirts with that on them!

32. InTheNavy said on 14 Sep 2009 at 12:02 pm:

Hopefully we’ll see the same reaction and activism when Obama attempts to push amnesty.

33. freedom said on 14 Sep 2009 at 8:34 pm:

The National Park Service said today that they concur with the media, estimating the crowd at 1.5 million…AND stated that it was a larger crowd than any Presidential inauguration…and in fact, was the largest crowd to assemble in the history of Washington, DC.

Underplay it if you wish; you can run but eventually truth will catch up with you…

34. Schlub said on 15 Sep 2009 at 5:35 am:

More pictures and video, posted here: http://justsomeschlub.blogspot.com/. There was a counterdemonstration, some colllege kids dressed as a chorus singing songs in praise of government health care. But check out the guy behind them with a homemade sign. Hilarious.

35. Anonymous said on 16 Sep 2009 at 5:43 pm:

Dear Friend,

As President Obama tries to sell his trillion-dollar health care proposal to the American people, he continues to claim that illegal immigrants will not receive free coverage under the proposal.

As this CNN story states, the non-partisan Congressional Research Service found that federal subsidies to obtain health coverage would be restricted to U.S. citizens and legal residents, but it also noted that the bill does not specify a citizenship verification. Because of this omission, liberals have created a huge loophole in the bill that could allow millions of people to fraudulently claim those benefits.

Two separate amendments were proposed that would have required individuals who receive federal health care subsidies to verify that they are here legally, but both amendments were rejected on party-line votes.

I firmly believe that any health care reforms should not punish hard-working American families while rewarding those who are here illegally by giving them free benefits. Regardless of the president’s rhetoric, I will continue fighting in the U.S. Senate for what is best for Louisianans.

Sincerely,

David Vitter
    U.S. Senator

36. werf said on 16 Sep 2009 at 6:08 pm:

Dear anti health care reformers,

Someone quoted michelle malkins site http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/12/celebrating-the-912-rallies/ for more information on numbers and pics. Maybe that person should revisit the site to see:

At no time did ABC News, or its affiliates, report a number anywhere near as large. ABCNews.com reported an approximate figure of 60,000 to 70,000 protesters, attributed to the Washington, D.C., fire department. In its reports, ABC News Radio described the crowd as “tens of thousands.”

Brendan Steinhauser, spokesman for FreedomWorks, said he did not know why Kibbe cited ABC News as a source.

As a result of Kibbe’s erroneous attribution, several bloggers and commenters repeated the misinformation.

Sorry folks. You wont ever be able to put together a great march/rally. I see you are trying to replicate what the immigrant movement put together in 2006. Google it to possibly get some tips: April 10th 2006.

Nice try though.

37. starryflights said on 16 Sep 2009 at 6:53 pm:

Werf…take a look at this photo and the Sept 12 D.C Tea Party. It might change your mind.

38. starryflights said on 16 Sep 2009 at 6:56 pm:

Oh, the reason that part of the Mall is left open is because it was reserved for other events and we were not allowed on it. Notice the Tea Party people squeezed in where ever they could…notice the sides of the photo, down the streets and along the sides of the mall, also under trees. You should have been there….it was awesome!

39. Anon35 said on 16 Sep 2009 at 9:01 pm:

Werf, Werf, Werf…..keep dreaming buddy. That’s what dems are good at….dreaming and being unrealistic….they live in their own little dream world….. so sad.

40. NoVA Scout said on 16 Sep 2009 at 10:59 pm:

I thought Senator Vitter had resigned in disgrace last year after some dalliance with shady ladies. Is the previous (1743) comment a hoax?

41. Bridget said on 19 Sep 2009 at 12:25 pm:

Speaking of shady:

This is grand. Anyone opposed to obamacare has been summarily branded a racist. If you don’t submit, you will now be branded a sexist as well because Mme. Obama has come out to declared it, of course, a women’s issue:

Pardon my French, but STFUMO and stuff the gender card.

42. deathbymedia said on 23 Sep 2009 at 9:41 am:

I have done my own study base on a devised stationary methodology and calculation which you can find here:

It’s backed by visual evidence (pictures and clips) all available in the same entry, plus determining the boundaries of the rally and calculation of the final tally derived from the density of the crowd at each given block. My calculus puts the figures around 130k up to 160k.

43. Starryflights said on 24 Sep 2009 at 12:12 am:

You seem to be doing the rounds of blogs with this count of yours, Deathbymedia. Since there is no official count, we can only make guesses. I was there and the numbers were huge. If there is another one next year, I am sure that the numbers will jump much higher. Are you happy with the numbers that you posted?

The number really doesn’t matter, the video of the march down PA Ave says it all!