Case Closed?

By Greg L | 16 September 2009 | Blogs, Manassas City, Prince William County | 38 Comments

Reporters at the Manassas News & Messenger sure put some interesting thoughts out on the internet when they’re not writing copy for the paper.  To wit:

“there is a clear comparison between what has happened here in Prince William County, VA and what elements invoked and supported the Nazi regime”

At least in this case, we’re not left to wonder a whole lot about bias existing in the newsroom.

1. Bwana said on 16 Sep 2009 at 10:07 am:

Interesting…the author of the linked piece considers Prince William County to be the birthplace of the Civil War.

I can only imagine she has never heard of Fort Sumter…

2. Cynic said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:02 am:

What would an entity - that wants us to believe that illegals are wonderful and that they cause no problems whatsoever - know about the Civil War?

And, the nutty SF DA and nutty Major have decided that this piece of waste matter does not deserve the death penalty. Talk about promoting injustice! Talk about a brainwashed electorate!

3. James Young said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:12 am:

To be fair, I doubt that she’s a “reporter.” Her status is probably similar to mine when I wrote my column, i.e., they pay her a pittance for her little weekly space, and can discontinue her column at will.

Not that they would, of course.

4. Greg L said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:22 am:

Her byline is “staff” and she’s not doing opinion pieces. What else is one to think?

5. James Young said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:34 am:

I could be wrong. Quite frankly, I don’t pay any attention to her. My impression was that she did those little weekly community briefs (there’s ones for Montclair and Lake Ridge, for example), but I could easily be wrong. If so, I apologize for confusing the issue.

6. Johnson said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:44 am:

She’s an idiot. Any actual reporting she might be tasked with would be clearly biased. Liberals now run the MSM and education in this country. What better way to indoctrinate people? Who’s REALLY following the propaganda playbook? Why is “tolerance” more important than independence? Why is “change” more important than stability?

7. anonny said on 16 Sep 2009 at 12:03 pm:

She has done reporting - granted, she does the “e-mail me your neighborhood news” crap but she also does stories.

Notice how she’s now not allowing anyone to comment on her blog? I also noticed how she’s an idiot and claimed that the Civil War started in PWC. Stupid. Her meds have worn off - she’s back ranting about Nazi’s and PWC. It’s been what - a good 2 months since she’s gone off the deep end?

She needs to be fired from the MSM - I wonder if they know anything about her little blog and what it contains.

8. anonny said on 16 Sep 2009 at 12:24 pm:

“Here, in the birthplace of the Civil War, in the very place where our government struggled with ideals and ended up as a union”

And surely she’s confused here - the surrender was in Appomattox, which is a good 3 hours from here. She needs to get off the internet and read some history books. Her obsession with Nazi’s makes me wonder if there isn’t something that she’s hiding . . .

9. TedKennedysSwimInstructor said on 16 Sep 2009 at 12:39 pm:

Open Letter to Sec. of State, Dr. Condoleezza Rice
    EmailWritten by katherinemm31 on Mar-3-08 7:29am
    From: luxuriouschoices.blogspot.com

Dear Secretary of State, Dr. Rice:

I am writing to ask for immediate assistance in Prince William County VA where we have an emergency. One form of assistance could be establishing immigration embassies here in this county to help immigrants who are RIGHT NOW being persecuted in our local system. Another would be to grant temporary, emergency amnesty to immigrants who have lived and worked here and who have no criminal record.

As you might have heard, PWC has implemented a “crackdown on illegal immigration.” That “crackdown” officially begins today in the form of a local “Immigration Resolution.” But even before today, we have had immigrant families in crisis–fathers and mothers and family members in jail awaiting deportation while their children and families suffer without them.

The resolution was passed without full consent PWC citizens. The resolution was passed without evidence of need and implemented without having funds to pay for it. The resolution is putting our county in debt and raising our taxes. But more importantly, the resolution is violating human and civil rights. Racial profiling is already happening.

The resolution was created as part of a political stunt to elect the Chair of the Board of County Supervisors, Corey Stewart, and his counterpart, John Stirrup. These BOCS members took their policy from a “Help Save” group related to FAIR, a designated hate group. BOCS member John Stirrup and Chair Corey Stewart have made openly racist comments (on video) and have aligned themselves with racist, abusive, members of local groups that are targeting and harassing immigrants.

While Congress has dragged its feet in addressing immigration problems, local factions are creating hostile and frightening environments right here in the D.C. Metro area. I realize you can’t ignore current law, but in times of crisis, I know you have the authority to use diplomacy and use emergency intervention.

Dr. Rice, these are hard working people with paperwork problems–they are not criminals. If any truly ARE criminals, then these are the ONLY ones who need to be deported, not the people who have worked here and have been contributing members to our communities.

Please do all you can to address the issues here, in Mexico, in Central America, and in Asia. Please do not allow hatred and violence in our county and in our country. Please do not allow another bloody Civil Rights era to wound our country and the world. We must help our international brothers and sisters before this erupts into global conflict.

Thank you for your time and your service to our country.

Sincerely,

Katherine Mercurio Gotthardt
    sent via email, to be sent in hard copy as well

10. Concerned said on 16 Sep 2009 at 12:48 pm:

Gotthardt was Wally Covington’s pick to represent Brentsville on the County’s Travel and Tourism Board. Fortunately, wiser heads on the BOCS prevailed and Wally’s nomination was defeated. I guess that boneheaded move says more about Wally than about her, however. Wally will have “lots of splaining to do,” to quote Ricky Ricardo, on this and lots of other things come election time in 2011.

11. Ted said on 16 Sep 2009 at 3:45 pm:

You can always have a clear “comparison” between any two things.

Perhaps she meant “similarity”?

The English language is a wonderful thing.

12. citizenofmanassas said on 16 Sep 2009 at 4:10 pm:

She must be talking about how the media in conjunction with their political arm, the Democrat party is attempting to end debate over the health care plan put forth by obama. She is just a kook to think the War Between the States started here. She might have meant to say where the first large land battle was held, but that is a far cry from where the war started.

Or, is she talking about the many murders committed by illegals in Prince William County, or the many rapes committed by illegals?

13. KBlowhard Watchdog said on 16 Sep 2009 at 5:18 pm:

#
    Ted said on 16 Sep 2009 at 3:45 pm:

You can always have a clear “comparison” between any two things.

Perhaps she meant “similarity”?

The English language is a wonderful thing.

You’d think a person with a degree in English AND a master’s in Creative Writing would have a better handle on the English language. Maybe she should trying writing in Espanol

14. JM said on 16 Sep 2009 at 7:17 pm:

After reading her blog post and her open letter, I can only infer that her specialty is creative writing, because there is little truth or fact in either piece.

15. Citizen12 said on 16 Sep 2009 at 8:27 pm:

Johnson said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:44 am: Flag comment

She’s an idiot.

****************************************************************

Thank you Johnson, I could not have said it better myself.

Short, simple, to the point and true.

16. NoVA Scout said on 16 Sep 2009 at 10:55 pm:

As an avid student of the War Between the States, my sense is that it is very hard to pinpoint a “birthplace” of the Civil War. Prince William County can make a legitimate claim to have been the site of the first major battle of the conflict, and, by some metrics, perhaps that can be said to have been a starting point of the War. The bombardment of the federal forts in Charleston is another, equally valid spot on the timeline. So might be the passage of Secession resolutions in the cotton states (although they were not attended by any direct hostilities. Or President Lincoln’s call for the raising of armies to put down the rebellion. But, having proffered some alternatives, I wouldn’t consider it far-fetched for PWC to claim that the “war”, in a military sense, started in July , 1861 in the County. I have not heard or read that the Civil War had as its origin murders and rapes committed by illegals, as suggested by CoM. That’s quite new to me.

17. smurf said on 16 Sep 2009 at 11:46 pm:

the only time I have a problem with her work for the paper is when I log online and see her photograph in it, I suddenly feel the urge to find my trash can because I get sick. But other than that, she’s a non-issue. Her reports are fairly innocuous. She seems a little whacky to me after reading some of her posts on the anti blog; makes me wonder if she snacked on lead paint chips as a child or huffed spray paint.

18. freedom said on 17 Sep 2009 at 6:24 am:

Concerned said/16 Sep/12:48 pm: “Gotthardt was Wally Covington’s pick to represent Brentsville on the County’s Travel and Tourism Board…Wally will have “lots of splaining to do,” come election time in 2011.”

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree with you more, Concerned!!! For the life of me, I can not fathom how Wally Covington could have done that…we shall never forget, Wally!!

19. kgisobsessedwithnazis said on 17 Sep 2009 at 7:21 am:

She’s obsessed with the Nazi stuff. Then again, she knows nothing about what actually happened with the Nazi’s in Germany. She’s made a bunch of inaccurate statements about that too.

She would have done such a wonderful job promoting tourism in PWC - this from the person that said it is the “capital of racism”!

She shut down comments to her blog as too many people were disagreeing with her. That’s censorship, and she’s taking a page from her hated Nazi’s!

She’s a kook, and half the time imagines things and then makes posts on things, and shows how uninformed she is.

Her blog probably has 3 people who follow it. It is best ignored. Her columns in the newspaper are harmless, as long as she doesn’t go write any letters to the editor.

Condoleeza Rice must have taken one look at that letter and tossed it in the trash where it belongs. “We have an emergency”! That’s funny.

20. citizenofmanassas said on 17 Sep 2009 at 7:29 am:

NOVA,

You reading too fast. What I said, is maybe she is concerned with the number of rapes and murders committed by illegals in the County. I did not make any connection between the war and illegals.

21. Chauncey Gardiner said on 17 Sep 2009 at 8:25 am:

I think she writes very nice things about day lillies and such, so we probably have a lot in common.

Those of us who row through life with only one oar dipped in the water should be free to pursue our circuitous courses without harrassment from those whose courses are straight and narrow.

22. Lil Dog said on 17 Sep 2009 at 10:46 am:

Yes, she is a kook.

23. Howard the Duck said on 17 Sep 2009 at 10:57 am:

Just cancel all your newspaper and magazine subscriptions and maybe cable too. Starve them out. You can get the weekly store flyers and tv guide off the internet. Why pay to be insulted? It’s nice not to have all the paper to deal with too.

Modern children can’t conceive the hardship of life in agricultural, pre-industrial society and how difficult it was to put food on the table.

24. Anonymous said on 17 Sep 2009 at 11:50 am:

Godwin’s Law: prov. “As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one. There is a tradition on many sites that once this occurs, the discussion is over and this person has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress.

The reporters lost their case before they even began.

25. smurf said on 17 Sep 2009 at 4:03 pm:

she’s a nut, plain and simple. Most of the anti-broads have too much time on their hands. I doubt many of them work (I know Elena and Moon dont) thus they sit around all day and blog. It’s sad that one of them was a teacher of children and the other a counselor of some sort. Must be nice to have all that time on your hands to do nothing. Not sure about that whack job Gotthardt, she’s definitely one in a million…Never seen someone write such crazy stuff about nazis, the KKK and god knows what else…Forget about the whole eating paint chips comment, I think she just drank the paint period…by the can.

26. Anonymous said on 17 Sep 2009 at 5:01 pm:

You really should disparage stay-at-home moms. For those who are able to do it financially, it really is a good thing. Thing again, in the Smurf Village, there is only Smurfette, so your experience with women is limited. ;)

27. smurf said on 17 Sep 2009 at 5:48 pm:

there’s more than a few smurf’s in my village anon…I’ve met some Stay at home mom’s, to tell you the truth I’m jealous! They get to stay home all day, hit the gym whenever, do whatever they want all day long, etc. Must be nice! However I’ll say that smurfette, who is pretty rockin’ I should say, works her butt off because she likes it and still has the juice to handle the little smurfs who are extremely well adjusted. I personally think it’s better for parents to team up to raise the kids instead of dumping them on mom during the day.

not sure about “being a really good thing” personally I think that a woman with work ethic is more attractive than someone who lives off the dime of someone else. This aint the 50’s baby and the brady bunch and leave it beaver are long gone…You should head back to mayberry!

28. KBlowhard Watchdog said on 17 Sep 2009 at 7:52 pm:

Smurf -

Elena was a middle school counselor. KG was an ESOL night school teacher until she got “let go” from PWCS. Don’t worry - she didn’t have any influence on children.

I didn’t see anything in your post that was “disparaging” to SAHMs. It’s just sad to see that some of the anti ladies have this opportunity and choose to spend it “blogging” on their computer rather than spending it with their children. Go volunteer in your kid’s school rather than waste time on the internet.

29. Anonymous said on 17 Sep 2009 at 8:04 pm:

I work. Many of my friends don’t. We are all raising great kids. Those who have little kids aren’t hitting the gym - maybe the occasional trip to Little Gym or the soccer field. Regardless, our lives revolve around our kids. If that is Mayberry, so be it. It’s a grand place.

You know, I also wondered if Smurfette was the only girl or if the rest of the Smurfs passed around a blonde wig.

30. NoVA Scout said on 17 Sep 2009 at 10:46 pm:

CoM: that sure clears it up. Thanks.

31. smurf said on 17 Sep 2009 at 11:44 pm:

I would be horrified if EITHER of them had access to my children from what I’ve seen on their blog. some pretty disgusting things are said by both and it’s upsetting to see for sure. My how their website has deteriorated into a hang out place for the perpetually lazy to hang out during the day while hubby works.

32. smurf said on 17 Sep 2009 at 11:48 pm:

the anti board is just a hangout for lazy people, like the 7-11 on coverstone or route-1 and parkway :) turning the site into a bulletin board for day laborers would be a likely next step for them.

33. Johnson said on 18 Sep 2009 at 9:15 am:

Off thread, but pertinent…

34. Disgusted said on 19 Sep 2009 at 7:35 am:

Smurf, you are a dolt! Your partner probably works to get the hell away from you!

The real question is how do we do a better job to get our point across on ILLEGAL immigration (note the word illegal). Cursory investigatiton on their part does make ours look racist and nationalistic. Its cursory, but it happens a lot. A better job on illegals impact on county budgets (emergency rooms, police, etc.), stress on the schools, impact on housing needs to be upfront AND CONSISTENT. All they see, to be frank, is a bunch of angry, white, conservative people. Greg L has done a good job on phase 1 - advertising the problem. Now that PWC has enacted their law, phase 2 has got to be support the position and bury the opposition with valid facts that can be verified; police reports on violent crime dropping, ER statistics on patients unable to pay going down, etc. Where is it? I know this is out there. It has to hammered and hammered and hammered and not just referred by a mere flick of the hand.

35. JD said on 21 Sep 2009 at 1:59 am:

Katherine is a writer for insidenova.com. I’ve met her before. She’s not an idiot. She’s not a bad person. She has an opinion, and she’s exercised her 1st amendment rights to freedom of speech to express that opinion on her blog.

I think her blog posting is biased and grossly misinformed. I also think it’s rife with fallacies. I do not however question her right to make blog posts of her choosing. I don’t think she deserves a biting personal attack for posting a blog that is read by less than a dozen people.

If anyone disagrees with her post and feels it requires a response, take the time and write an objective counter-piece. Post it and back-track to her blog and see what happens.

36. kgisobsessedwithnazis said on 21 Sep 2009 at 7:28 am:

No one questions her right to say these things. However, it does not absolve her of being biased, very much misinformed, and yes, she is an idiot as if you read enough of her postings, she often says some very stupid things. Not only that, she was actually nominated to be part of some committee promoting tourism in PWC of all things! Fortunately, she did not get that post, as it seems unlikely she would have been able to separate her feelings that “PWC is the capital of racism” and other similar things she’s said, in promoting tourism for PWC.

She’s showed many times her ignorance about the Holocaust, yet she continues to post pieces comparing it to what’s going on in PWC.

She doesn’t listen to people who take the time to write replies to her - instead just labels them Nazis. And also, if she truly was interested in replies to her latest piece, she would allow comments on her blog, which she does not. This is further proof she isn’t willing to listen to any well thought out rebuttal - as she has proven in the past when those were written, and her response was “you’re a Nazi too”.

37. kgisobsessedwithnazis said on 21 Sep 2009 at 7:32 am:

In addition, she and her friends frequently write things like “the county is getting a bad reputation as it is often being compared to the Nazis” when it is she herself that is writing this stuff and spreading this disinformation. In fact, the Nazis often spread propaganda and lies, so she has proven time and time again she is no better than they were. However, the fact she and her friends often cite the fact the county is often compared to the Nazis and the Holocaust, when she is the one who is doing this, is more proof of how wrong she is.

38. kgisobsessedwithnazis said on 21 Sep 2009 at 7:55 am:

Here’s an example of KG’s response to someone when they tried to point out the error in her comparison of PWC to the Nazi’s - this shows what can be expected of a response to anyone trying to refute what she says (the last sentence certainly shows a clearly thought out and intelligent reply). This is just one example of many similar replies she wrote to people who disagreed with her and attempted to prove she was wrong:

April 28th, 2008 at 20:23

For anyone who wants to know how I support the “Nazi” theory, feel free to check out the word usage, its origin and the research. The word “racist” was first applied to Nazi theory.

Go back to your BVBL Sludgeholes and stay there where you belong.