Gerry Connolly Tries To Get Constituent Arrested

By Greg L | 5 November 2009 | Gerry Connolly | 48 Comments

Welcome listeners of THE GREAT ONE, Mark Levin! (Mark refers to this post around minute 75 in his program)

Today there are lots of people trying to lobby their elected officials on the health care bill pending in Congress, and Gerry Connolly tried to get one of them arrested on false charges of assault, setting a new standard for utterly abysmal, beyond-the-pale horrible constituent service. This guy is absolutely unbelievable.

Connolly is trying to claim he wasn’t aware anyone would want to meet with him today, and is refusing to talk to anyone standing in the long, long line of constituents that are snaking out of his office door and well down the hallway. Instead, his staffers are telling folks that they need to fill out a form where they can write down what they want to say to him while Connolly hides in his office and won’t talk to anyone. Connolly left his office about an hour or so ago, and a small woman, about 4′ 8″ touched his arm, trying to get his attention long enough to say a few words to him as he tried to flee.

Connolly then reacts like he’s been bitten by a snake, and starts ranting on to her that what she did was assault him, that assault is a felony, and he is going to have this woman, who couldn’t have weighed more than 110 pounds ARRESTED. Connolly then charges down the hall yelling to the capitol police, WHO THEN TAKE CONNOLLY’S CONSTITUENT INTO CUSTODY. The police talk to this woman for about two minutes, and people in the crowd who witnessed this event give their take on this. The woman is then released, and allowed back in the line to fill out a form where she can express her opinion.

Meanwhile, Gerry Connolly has retreated to an undisclosed location, far away from his constituents.

I’ve seen politicians do plenty of bad things, but this tops the list by a mile. I’ve never seen a Congressman treat his own constituents as if they are somehow his enemy and seek protection from them by the Capitol Police. All of this for the mere offense wanting to talk to your own elected official about pending legislation.

I think this one is going to make the Hannity Show tonight. I’ll have pictures available as soon as I get them.

UPDATE: TownHall.com reports that Connolly’s Communications Director George Burke is the only one who committed an assault today. Yep, Connolly’s office certainly seems to think that constituents are the enemy, rather than the boss.

Burke allegedly pushed Christoph’s arm down forcefully after she asked about her camera, and it drew gasps of surprise from both junior Connolly staffers and about half a dozen other visitors inside Connolly’s office.

Christoph was told that she needed a press pass to have a camera.

“[Then] he bumped into my arm that was holding the camera and threatened to call the police,” said Christoph. “His young staffers conducted themselves very very well, but his senior staffer made it seem like I was the enemy‚Ķ”

UPDATE #2: here’s a photo taken on a cell phone of the detainment of one of Connolly’s constituents. The woman with the blonde hair on the right is the one Connolly tried to get arrested.

And here’s an action shot of Connolly and the woman he tried to get arrested:

UPDATE #3: The Washington Post mentions this in today’s edition, but unsurprisingly fails to interview anyone but Gerry Connolly in their article. Watchdogs or lapdogs? You decide.

Protesters targeted Rep. Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.), a first-term congressman whose Fairfax County district voted for Republican Robert F. McDonnell in this week’s gubernatorial election. Connolly, up for reelection next year, said that he has not decided whether to vote for health-care reform but that the tea-party activists will not influence his vote.

“You try to hear them out respectfully,” Connolly said. “The problem is they’re not here on a mission of dialogue. They’re here on a mission to persuade and discourage.”

Connolly said he had an unnerving confrontation in his office when a protester grabbed his arm and did not let up. “I told her, ‘You really need to take your arms off me. I’m on my way to vote,’ ” Connolly said. “I was a little shocked, but I ascribed it more to an overabundance of zeal than any malign intent.”

On his way to vote? On what? You’d think the Post might have bothered to ask him which vote he supposedly was going to, given that he was hiding in his office for the better part of the day while the House went into session starting at 10:00AM. Of course, they didn’t.

1. Not SPLC said on 5 Nov 2009 at 2:58 pm:

Gerry needs to go! He hasn’t begun to see the wrath of the people yet.

2. Slick said on 5 Nov 2009 at 3:12 pm:

Beaver teeth should watch out next election. He is top on my list. I will definitely be working for his opponent.

3. Chris said on 5 Nov 2009 at 3:58 pm:

TELL ME someone got video of this meltdown!

4. Prester John said on 5 Nov 2009 at 4:00 pm:

Brilliant!!!!!

Heh.

5. Greg L said on 5 Nov 2009 at 4:14 pm:

I don’t think anyone had a video cam down there, and I didn’t go. Several people took pictures with their cell phones however, and as soon as I can get my hands on the pictures, I’ll post them.

6. citizenofmanassas said on 5 Nov 2009 at 5:07 pm:

He’s a typical fat lib and carpetbagger, who you know is lying when his lips are moving. He can’t drive, and he does not have a spine. I believe, the people of Fairfax County will vote this clown out in two years. His liberalism and actions might work in San Francisco, etc, but not in Fairfax.

7. Chris said on 5 Nov 2009 at 5:44 pm:

citizenofmanassas, your wrong!

The people of Fairfax County will vote this clown out in ONE year.

8. Gnarly said on 5 Nov 2009 at 5:52 pm:

People were told by Bachman to bring cameras (flips and cell phones) wherever possible today, so you can bet that there will be some great footage of this all over You Tube by tonight. You can also bet that this is a ONE term operation. I hope Connolly and his band of idiots enjoyed it while it lasted.

9. Gnarly said on 5 Nov 2009 at 5:58 pm:

It’s also being reported on Townhall.com that George Burke, Connolly’s Communications Director, slapped down a woman’s arm who tried to ask him a question while operating a Flip camera. It is unclear whether she has filed assault charges on the staffer….but witnesses are saying she was definitely assaulted.

10. FED UP said on 5 Nov 2009 at 6:02 pm:

Connolly is a total ASS!!!!! It’s one thing to have to hear him when he spews his lies, but to have to watch him with his oversized fake chops is just too much.
    I HAVE FORWARDED THIS THREAD TO EVERYONE I KNOW IN FAIRFAX SO THEY CAN GET A COMPLETE PICTURE OF THIS ASS__OLE AND THEY CAN VOTE HIM OUT!!!!!

11. DJ said on 5 Nov 2009 at 7:36 pm:

Enemy #1 for next year’s election is Nazi Piglosi and I think this jerk, Connolly just moved himself to #2! Vote this scumbag out!

12. DJ said on 5 Nov 2009 at 7:38 pm:

.. and if you don’t mind .. I’m going to post a link to your page on FreeRepublic.

[Ed note: knock yourself out. This has to be disseminated far and wide…]

13. DJ said on 5 Nov 2009 at 7:57 pm:

I posted it here on FR if you care to see add’l comments. They will also be directed here.

Thanks for reporting this! I came home after hearing Mark Levin talk about this incident on my way home. I found your post here via Google. Keep up the good work .. we HAVE TO fight these fascists who are attempting to take away all of our Freedoms!

14. DJ said on 5 Nov 2009 at 7:58 pm:

Sorry .. forgot to give you the link:

15. DJ said on 5 Nov 2009 at 8:16 pm:

Hey Greg ..

Mark Levin just read your story to 6 million people and gave your site credit. Congrats!

16. Greg L said on 5 Nov 2009 at 8:21 pm:

Oh, no. This is utterly going to smoke my bandwidth. I’ll have to watch the server to see if smoke starts pouring out of it.

Levin’s audience is HUGE. I have no idea what is going to happen here.

17. Johnson said on 5 Nov 2009 at 8:33 pm:

It took a full minute for me to log on, Greg. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

These jerks have got to go. I’m voting against all incumbents. The local rag down here had the audacity to actually tell it’s readers how stupid we were to vote Phil Hamilton out of office and how it was going to hurt us as constituents. He got caught setting himself up with a job at a local college, before voting the funds for it. Doing good 99 times and wrong one time means he DID WRONG.

Politics is not a career, it is service.

Politics is not a family business.

We must find a way to impose term limits. We HAVE to take control of our government.

18. DJ said on 5 Nov 2009 at 8:59 pm:

Greg .. you’re the next Michelle Malkin. I mean that in a good way! ;^)

19. Slick said on 5 Nov 2009 at 9:52 pm:

Yeah Greg you’re doing a tremendous job. Thanks for exposing to the public what connoly truly is. Running away from a little lady…what a little weasel!

20. faith2010 said on 5 Nov 2009 at 11:25 pm:

I didn’t get to go to the rally, but I had tried to call his office in DC, Fairfax and Prince William this morning around 9am. His DC office mail box was full already and I talked to his staffers in both Fairfax and Prince William to give my two cents. Then, the light bulb went on, he didn’t win the seat by himself last year. He got the position based on the (D) and Mr. BObama’s grace.

21. Rudy said on 6 Nov 2009 at 6:04 am:

I’ve sent my money to political parties for years - no more. Several months ago I began sending money to opponents of politicians who need to go. This ass is on my radar - watch out.

22. gnikrapon said on 6 Nov 2009 at 6:54 am:

Not all incumbents are bad. We have a GOOD congressman in our district, Frank Wolf. Limit terms by voting the bad guys and girls out.

23. Johnson said on 6 Nov 2009 at 7:43 am:

I agree that there are good incumbents. I’m of the opinion that there should be no such thing as an incumbent politician. If they represent well, then they should move up to the next level. Representation should be considered service, not a career. The founding Fathers never intended for politicians to have so much power that they vote tax money for private corporations or the ability to reshape our population through immigration or have a perpetual job through the use of pork.

I’m just sayin’.

24. park'd said on 6 Nov 2009 at 11:12 am:

Frank Wolf good? Are you mad? He has done jack for us. Our neighborhoods deteriorated under his watch. The foreclosure rate in PWC and the two cities hit the top 10 in the country this summer under his watch. Illegal aliens invaded en masse unimpeded under his watch. Wolf is a spineless do-nothing who doesn’t want to rock the boat.

You can also bet that the idiots in FFC will vote Connolly right back into office next year. If you think differently then you are deluding yourselves.

25. wineplz said on 6 Nov 2009 at 11:43 am:

Congrats on being mentioned on Mark’s show!!! I caught only the first hour before I had to start wrestling my kids into bed.

Another constituent was also wrongly arrested: an 80-something year old priest. I didn’t catch the incident (but saw some video on another protester’s video camera). Poor man needed medical assistance shortly after being brought out of the building.
    I posted the pics that I took of the crowds via my husbands Eye-Fi that were instantly uploaded to my flickr account: http://www.wineplz.com/2009/11/06/pictures-from-the-health-care-rally-at-the-capitol-building/

26. Sick Of It In Fairfax said on 6 Nov 2009 at 10:20 pm:

When I called Connolly’s office the other day on the heathcare bill I was surprised to actually speak to someone. I told them that I didn’t want my tax money used to help illegal aliens get medical benefits and I sure as heck didn’t want my money used for abortions. The kid on the other end of the line told me I was a bad person for not wanting to help “undocumented immigrants” (I kid you not) and that if I didn’t pay for abortions I would end up paying welfare for the kids that ended up being alive. I was floored.

Next time I hope to get an answering machine.

27. Conservative 2 said on 7 Nov 2009 at 12:43 am:

Well I am glad Connelly is being an a__. That man is getting worse as he gets older.He was bad before in Fairfax when he was on the Board of Supervisors.

I thought for sure the had their fill of him.

Just need to make sure we keep the pressure on him.

Greg you are doing a GREAT JOB.
    Thanks for all you do.

28. DPortM said on 7 Nov 2009 at 6:58 am:

Over on the anti site they think that Connelly might have been set up… unbelievable…

29. Conservative RN said on 7 Nov 2009 at 6:36 pm:

You Virginians keep it up. This Connelly creep I hope goes out fast.
    I am in Illinois, I was a travel RN in the Mt. Vernon area and I lived in Alexandria, VA for 3 mos. I fell in love with your state. The people are very nice. I did not extend my contract due to the Presidential elections and fear that the Dummycrats would try to throw out my vote on any technicality-I live in IL, and it was nearing the holidays. In some states I feel like a foreigner, that I do not belong there. I feel like Virginia is my 2nd home, other than my family is 16 hrs. away, I might still be there. I followed your gubernatorial race and was rooting and praying for Bob McDonnell. I said prayers that God would take care of my favorite state-VA. I was jumping like a Price is Right winner when he won.

I love el Rushbo, of course the Great One, Hannity, Herman Cain, Lars Larson and Neal Boortz. I podacst them and need treatment for my podcast addiction. I cannot listen to them all everyday, but I have them saved on my external hard drive. Take that, you stinking Media Czar.

One thing for sure. If I was living in Alexandria, VA, I would have been there with the others. Keep it up people of VA & America.

30. shirley4eyes said on 7 Nov 2009 at 10:35 pm:

Thanks, Greg. Maybe the people in FxCo will get it. He shouldn’t have been elected in the first place. Keith Fimian is a much better candidate, and a gentleman. Daddy Warbucks is so gone!!!

31. VOTE THEM ALL OUT ! said on 8 Nov 2009 at 11:45 am:

I am so glad to see that there are other people in Fairfax County that want to make sure that this idiot is not re-elected. I tried to call his office but the mailbox was full. I sent an email and received a thank you for my support”, so I write back told them that next time they should read the emails.

For the first time in my life I will work to make sure that whoever runs against him wins.

VOTE THEM ALL OUT!

32. citizenofmanassas said on 8 Nov 2009 at 3:57 pm:

Park’d

Frank Wolf has done plenty to combat illegal aliens. He is only one guy, with one vote, I think you are trying to give him too much power, and then blame him for not doing enough. He voted against amnesty in 1986(way before most saw illlegal immigration as an issue) he has helped create and fund the gang task force. He has nothing to do with the foreclosure rate, or whom banks loan money to.

33. republicanforareason said on 8 Nov 2009 at 8:43 pm:

Gerry connolly should be brought up on ethics charges for falsely accusing a constituant of assault! IObviously he can’t be trusted —his word means nothing and he is morally bankrupt. what a loser…..

34. Lola said on 9 Nov 2009 at 7:48 am:

He is disgusting. I do write him letters, but he always votes the opposite way. I didn’t even get a form letter in response to my letter about the health care vote. My concern with the Pelosi bill was that people didn’t have enough time to read the 1,900+ page document. I don’t know who is running against Gerry in 2010, but I have already decided to take Gerry’s voting record to my neighbors.

35. Conservative4Life said on 10 Nov 2009 at 5:29 pm:

Gerry needs to go. He is not representing his constituents by abusing his power and wrongfully accusing some woman of assault.

36. votehimout said on 10 Nov 2009 at 10:02 pm:

gerry connolly has no business serving the public. When i heard this story i was disgusted! He is unfit to serve in the publics interest. He appears to dispise the pubic. i say get rid of him—

37. congressneedstogo said on 11 Nov 2009 at 7:06 pm:

connolly knows no shame. Who acts like that? He is so out of touch with the people and he really needs to go!

38. in fairfax said on 12 Nov 2009 at 6:10 pm:

Corruption, corruption, corruption when will it end for Connolly the liar?
    Tuesday– November 3, 2010!!!

39. victorysoon said on 13 Nov 2009 at 9:22 am:

Connolly should have to answer for his abuse of power. If he thinks nothing of ordering police to arrest an innocent women he has no business serving the Commonwealth in ANY capacity. Last time I checked I lived in America not China! He really should be held accountable. unbelievable.

40. happyinTN said on 13 Nov 2009 at 12:42 pm:

I campaigned for Keith Fimian, and was sick that connelly was elected! Connelly is an immoral jerk to the nth degree!!! Put him and his ilk OUT!

41. fairandbalanced said on 15 Nov 2009 at 8:10 pm:

Well, what do you know, HIT and RUN Connolly —abuses power again!! looks like a pattern…

42. notsurprised said on 18 Nov 2009 at 2:47 pm:

A friend just sent a link to me about this and it is par for the course. Connolly and his ilk …..I am not surprised one bit. How pathetic.

43. inspringfield said on 22 Nov 2009 at 8:38 am:

DOES HE FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT? nah….maybe election time he will.

44. outoftown said on 23 Nov 2009 at 11:09 pm:

i don’t even live on VA and I think the guy is a loser! 2010 is the takeover for corrupt losers like Connolly and the rest of them.

45. electionsmatter said on 1 Dec 2009 at 9:14 pm:

CONNOLLY IS CORRUPT—IS ANYONE SUPRISED?

46. HC said on 19 Dec 2009 at 1:36 pm:

Great comments on this jerk Connolly. We will have to kick his ass out in 2010. This will be my priority for the next year. Keep up the pressure so we can defeat all these morons. It is about time Americans get a backbone and stand-up for our country. It is time to take America back from the socialist cowards.

47. In mantua said on 19 Dec 2009 at 2:36 pm:

I live in loser connolly’s neighborhood —many can’t stand him! He is arrogrant, dishonest, corrupt, and has done nothing as a congressman except spend, spend, spend….oh, and take care of his coronies. Go away connolly 2010 isn’t far!