By Greg L | 10 November 2009 | Patriotism | 8 Comments

Guest Post by Sanford D. Horn

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” – President Ronald Reagan

While the tragedy of the Fort Hood terror-murders are still fresh wounds emblazoned in our collective minds and consciousness, the men and women in uniform there as well as those wearing the Stars and Stripes the world over past and present are to be honored this November 11 – Veterans’ Day.

From the Revolutionary War, solidifying our freedoms as outlined by the Founding Fathers in separation from Great Britain, through to the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, men and women have fought for freedom at home and overseas. Members of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard and Reserves have served under the most extreme conditions and must be thanked for their service.

Although this is not a political tome, we the people of the United States owe a debt to the brave men and women who have answered their nation’s call. It is imperative that our servicemen and women be paid more than a simple living wage, be covered with medical and health care that does not leave them in rat and roach-infested sub-standard hospitals, or on the streets with no care at all, and provides for them an education to afford them the opportunity at second careers.

Veterans with a well-deserved G.I. Bill will pay it forward multi-fold by getting good jobs and not becoming a drain on the American economy. Such jobs can lead to veterans having the opportunity to strike out on their own, hire other job seekers, and keep them off the government dole.

My fellow Americans, say “thank you” to veterans you encounter, not just on Veterans’ Day, but every day. They will not only appreciate it, they have earned it.

Sanford D. Horn is a writer and consultant living in Alexandria, VA.

1. J. Tyler Ballance said on 11 Nov 2009 at 9:21 am:

All of those, “Thanks for your service…” gestures are much better than the attitude we got during the post Vietnam era.

To quote my Marine D.I. “You don’t need to thank me, our government thanks me twice a month…” but thanks for the good thoughts, just the same.

But if you really want to do something to help EVERY veteran, the next time you talk to a Congressman, ask why we don’t have a uniform GI Bill that applies to ALL Veterans of every era, instead of the current piece-meal approach, where some Vets (such as recent vets) have much better education benefits than others?

While you are on the subject of our military, ask the Congressman why our soldiers are being sent off to wage war, without a declaration of war by Congress? Why has Congress abdicated its power/responsibility for waging war?

2. Johnson said on 11 Nov 2009 at 9:34 am:

From a another former Marine, Mr. Ballance, Happy Birthday. Thank you for expressing the fact that we veterans are not receiving the same benefits. I served from 1979-1983 and did not qualify for the GI Bill. It would have been nice to at least enjoy the same benefits as our recent vets are. I am proud of my service and did not enlist to nuzzle the public teat. I enlisted to serve my country. My reward is the satisfaction that I served faithfully and received an honorable discharge at the end of my enlistment. You are also correct that we need to bring all of our service men and women home. The President needs to be much more limited in his ability to deploy troops. Especially THIS president.

Happy Veteran’s Day to everyone who has served. Thank you for your sacrifice.

3. ...I'm just saying said on 11 Nov 2009 at 2:23 pm:

You’re welcome.

4. RockyTheGroundPounder said on 11 Nov 2009 at 4:28 pm:

Wish I’d posted this earlier. Just like I remember so well. Enjoy!

5. citizenofmanassas said on 11 Nov 2009 at 7:53 pm:

God Bless America and all of our Military Veterans.

6. manassascityresident said on 11 Nov 2009 at 9:18 pm:

citizenofmanassas said on 11 Nov 2009 at 7:53 pm: Flag comment

I second that!!!! Thank you Veterans!

7. Robert L. Duecaster said on 12 Nov 2009 at 4:53 pm:

It was my honor and privilege to serve. Twice.

8. Kevin C. said on 17 Nov 2009 at 9:50 am:

Robert L. Duecaster said on 12 Nov 2009 at 4:53 pm:
    “It was my honor and privilege to serve. Twice.”

When I read this post, the “twice” comment started me thinking about one of my recurring nightmares, being DRAFTED AGAIN!

Last night, I had a bit of a variation on that nightmare, in that,
    I dreamed that I was GETTING OUT for the second time.

It was a definite nightmare because, in the dream, I was SUPPOSED to be discharged LAST MONTH!!!

Talk about CRAZY!!!

My OTHER recurring nightmare is, having visited BOTH World Trade Center buildings on business back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, being STUCK on one of the upper floors. (I should mention, that particular nightmare has been happening, though NOT with any regularity, since long before the September 11 terrorist attack.)

One day, when I was there, it was SO WINDY they were not able to run the EXPRESS elevators.

It was made memorable by the fact that Trade Center Staff was HERDING people from local elevator to local elevator like CATTLE!

Please don’t be sending me any bills for THERAPY Greg!