Who Is Marianne Horinko?

By Greg L | 18 November 2009 | Fairfax County, Virginia Senate | 30 Comments

Voters in the 37th District are being bombarded with robocalls and mailers — as many as five a day this past Saturday – from the Marianne Horinko campaign as she tries to win the Republican nomination to run for Ken Cuccinelli’s Senate seat.  Before her run for the Senate I’d never heard of Horinko as she’s never run for office before and hasn’t been active in the FCRC or local political campaigns, and neither had a lot of voters in the 37th.  Some friends had asked me what I thought of her, which started a little research project I can share that has become quite interesting.

Horinko wasn’t at the 2009 Republican Convention in Richmond, nor was she at the 10th District Convention in 2008.  She only became a member of the FCRC sometime this fall, about the same time she joined the Western Fairfax Women’s Republican Club.  What she did do instead was earn a lot of love from various candidates by donating over $24,000 to state-wide and local candidates this election cycle, up from about $250 in 2008 and zero before that.  She might not have been out there knocking doors or helping with phone banks over the years, but handing nearly $10,000 to Ken Cuccinelli for his Attorney General’s race is a pretty big deal.

She did volunteer with the LeMunyon campaign a bit this cycle and discussed her plans with the other volunteers while doing so.  Apparently this new candidate envisions quite a long and successful political career for herself, saying her goal is to become the first female Governor of Virginia.  At least she’s got some ambition.  After that experience helping Jim knock off Chuck Caputo in the 67th House District, she’s implied that LeMunyon has endorsed her, which I found out wasn’t actually the case.  Horinko did a fundraiser for LeMunyon, and of course candidates say nice things about the folks hosting an event like this, but now a quote from that is showing up on Horinko’s mailers as if it’s an endorsement.  To make things worse, she didn’t even capitalize Jim LeMunyon’s name correctly when doing so.  I suppose volunteering on a few more campaigns to learn the ropes a little better might be a good idea for Horinko.

Horinko runs a consulting company, and since that’s the most visible resource that pre-dates her sudden interest in politics, the firm’s website is certainly a lot more informative about Horinko as a candidate than any of her mail pieces.  The first thing you notice is the prominent display of a logo indicating that the Horinko Group is buying carbon offsets from an organization called CarbonFund.org.

Buying carbon offsets strikes me as a modern day purchase of indulgences from the Church of AlGore, so this doesn’t impress me very much.  CarbonFund.org is certainly playing off the cult of Obama and his nutty collection of “anthropogenic global warming” adherents, given the design of their logo and the breathless tripe on their website about “saving the planet”.  Someone professionally promoting this philosophy might well deserve a few questions about their position on the job-killing “Cap & Tax” legislation moving through Congress.

Couple this with Horinko’s prominent support of the multi-billion dollar boondoggle of Rail to Dulles, and there are some significant questions about what Horinko actualy stands for.  Is revitalizing the economy important to her?  If it is, will she favor proposals such as requiring businesses purchase “carbon offsets” that will harm businesses?  Would she divert transportation dollars for road construction towards mass-transit projects that serve few, and impose huge long-term costs?  We don’t know.

Someone like this would well benefit from running for the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors well before considering a run for the Senate of Virginia, where a track record would lay to rest any concerns like these, as well as give her the experience needed to run a solid campaign.  Right now, all we really know is that she can spend a lot of money and make some rookie mistakes.  How she might serve as an elected official is a bit murky, given the disconnect between her campaign mailers featuring typical conservative positions and some of her behavior.

There are other candidates out there with a record, so it’s not like we must run a political neophyte for this office.

1. Alan Moore said on 18 Nov 2009 at 12:03 pm:

I did an interview with Mrs. Horinko last week, thought you’d find it interesting: http://www.examiner.com/x-26908-Fairfax-County-Conservative-Examiner~y2009m11d16-37th-Senate-district-candidate-spotlight-Marianne-Horinko

2. Local GOP said on 18 Nov 2009 at 12:48 pm:

Spot on!! Horinko is just another rich lawyer that wants to buy a senate seat. No substance what so ever, at all, period.

3. reston libertarian said on 18 Nov 2009 at 1:11 pm:

It’s obnoxious but I have to point it out…
    I think you meant “anthropogenic global warming.” When criticizing environmentalists they need to be mocked properly.

“anthropomorphic global warming” has a very strange meaning.

4. Greg L said on 18 Nov 2009 at 1:18 pm:

Thanks for pointing that out. I never paid much attention to the details of all the labels liberals use to disguise their intent, and I guess this is one of the times that failure has caught up with me.

5. James Young said on 18 Nov 2009 at 2:04 pm:

I think you’re probably right about the bottom line; that’s exactly the advice that I gave to a certain politician who once considered running for the first time for a State Senate seat, but is now a prominent Supervisor.

On the other hand, wasn’t that exactly how Ken Cuccinelli came to hold this seat?

6. Groveton said on 18 Nov 2009 at 5:28 pm:

Maybe Keith Fimian ought to run for county supervisor too.

GregL - Is there some real reason you don’t like this lady? She seems just as qualified as your buddy Keith Fimian. And I saw your gushing internet interview with Fimian on the night of the election. And Fimian is running for national office - right? How many elected offices has Fimian held so far? Zero?

7. Not Carl Schurz said on 18 Nov 2009 at 6:37 pm:

Horniko is not running for congress or against Fimian. The problem with Horniko is that she doesn’t have a history of their work within the party or a track record on which to judge her. That matters because it is impossible to know what to make of her apparent support for carbon offsets and other issues upon which she seems to not have much of strong opinion or its seems too convienently flexiable; as if your real views might prove problematic.
    Fimian doesn’t have this problem, because he is open enough about his views that his positions seem geniune, understandable and, so far as any politican goods trustable.

8. Local GOP said on 18 Nov 2009 at 6:46 pm:

Groveton–Agreed on the Fimian point. You gotta work your way up, not just jump into Congress, or State Senate for that matter.

9. Greg L said on 18 Nov 2009 at 7:49 pm:

So who else was running other than Fimian? Gerry Connolly. No one else had the courage.

10. Conservative 2 said on 18 Nov 2009 at 8:28 pm:

Go Fimian!! Fimian is a great Candidate. He has the know how and honesty with him all the way.

You don’t necessarily need experience from the local level or Legislative. Tou need a steady, honest and caring person who is willing to tell what he will do as a service to the taxpayer.

You can not find a better person. So start thinking POSTIVE FOR KEITH FIMIAN!!!!

11. Ron said on 18 Nov 2009 at 9:28 pm:

The Fairfax County Republican Committee is having a meeting tomorrow (November 19) at Robinson High School. There is supposed to be a 37th District candidate presentation at this meeting. Maybe someone would like to ask Mrs. Horinko to respond to these issues?

12. Groveton said on 19 Nov 2009 at 1:25 am:

I have lived in NoVa all my life (50 years and counting). I am disgusted that Gerry Connolly holds any elected position from my hometown. I live in Frank Wolf’s district so I can’t even vote against Conolly. If I could, I would.

My question for GregL is about his negative attitude about Horniko. Why do you show disdain for a Republican candidate based on her supposed inexperience when you don’t feel the same way about an observably inexperienced candidate named Keith Fimian?

The question is really just that simple.

13. Groveton said on 19 Nov 2009 at 1:31 am:

“Horniko is running against two more openly conservative candidates, one of whom does a strong track record of voter support within the 37th to match conservative trackrecord in office. While Steve Hunt has a track record and consistent message what does Horniko offer? Money, moderate squishiness….”.

So, the other candidates are better candidates?

Good by me.

That’s what GregL should say rather than some mombo-jambo about carbon offsets and political inexperience.

14. Debbie Munoz said on 19 Nov 2009 at 7:14 am:

Keith Fimian has stepped up to the plate and delivered an active and informative Town Hall on health care when Connolly was busy hiding from us and doing his charade of a town hall behind closed gates in a retirement community. Fimian’s demonstrated his interest in the office with action. I was there with 200 or so other people and so was The Washington Post. Most people probably never read anything about it because we get so little coverage on the positive aspects of our causes. The Post shows up to only catch us in a gaffe.
    As for Mrs. Horinko regarding the senate seat, I don’t know much about her yet, but I know a lot about Steve Hunt, all good. What I’m feeling from Greg’s comments is a thought that perhaps the carbon offset issue might give rise to a conflict of interest.

15. Independent voter said on 19 Nov 2009 at 7:41 am:

Our founding fathers intended for our Government to be ran by its citizens… not professional Politicians. I think we (indepedant voters) welcome candidates successful in business since Government requires the same skills. I plan to listen to what she has to say.

16. Groveton said on 19 Nov 2009 at 8:37 am:

“What I’m feeling from Greg’s comments is a thought that perhaps the carbon offset issue might give rise to a conflict of interest.”.

Keith Fimian owns and runs a real estate inspection company. The government is subsidizing companies which make loans based on real estate inspections. That is also a major conflict of interest.

Keith Fimian is probably a fine guy. However, he lacks experience and holds a job that could easily be seen as a conflict of interest with his desired position.

Marianne Horniko is probably a fine woman. However, she lacks experience and holds a job that could easily be seen as a conflict of interet with her desired position.

However, GregL likes Fimian and doesn’t like Horniko. Why?

I assume that GregL secretly wants one of the Horniko’s opponents to win the primary. That would be logical. However, GregL’s disingeneous criticisms of Ms. Horniko are a challenge. If GregL thinks there is a better candidate then that’s what he should write. He should not hide behind a fog of blather about Ms. Horniko’s company or her inexperience. He should just say that he likes someone else better.

This type of elliptical, vague commentary should be left to the liberal Democrats. Conservative Republicans need to “think straight and talk straight”.

I suspect that is not happening here.

17. Ayn Rand is Right said on 19 Nov 2009 at 8:48 am:

She’s a “crunchycon”…someone who claims to, or actualy holds conservative views, except on environmental issues. Look at her history working for the EPA. She’s an insider in the environmental lobby, and is seeking to profit from the whole Cap & Tax debacle. If this were the defense industry, what she is doing would be looked at with more than raised eyebrows. This leads me to believe that she’s nothing more than another inside the beltway player, looking to further her own ambition, rather than serve the grassroots, what I see as The People.

18. Local GOP said on 19 Nov 2009 at 10:08 am:

19. Not Carl Schurz said on 19 Nov 2009 at 11:11 am:

I agree that the focus should be on the best candidate not the worst candidate. We should be looking to see if Horinko has the strong open convictions of the other candidates for this position. Having an interesting bio and background doesn’t make one a good official, candidate, or someone who is going to be accountable to the voters. If someone is not forthcoming with examples and explainations now, they wouldn’t suddenly do so once in office.

The other candidates, and especially Steve Hunt, clearly meet this
    threshold of clearly expressed viewpoints, openly debated, and backed by a livetime of service to the community and the conservative movement (and the GOP). The reason that Horinko gets so much focus on this blog is because she is unlike the other two candidates in not being clear or open about her views on a variety of issues.

The conservatives are worried that Horinko might win the nomination if conservatives split their votes between the other candidates. The best way to prevent this is to focus on the virtues of the conservative candidiates you support (Steve Hunt for myself) not just attack Horinko; although that has its place.

20. Groveton said on 19 Nov 2009 at 6:43 pm:

I don’t know this woman from Adam. I just wonder about the logic and tone being used to criticize her.

Here are what seem to be legitimate concerns:

1. She is not 100% conservative, especially on environmental issues.
    2. She lacks political experience (although you could certainly say that about Keith Fimian too).
    3. There is a better candidate in the race.

Here are what sound like petty and emotional complaints:

1. She once was a government official with the EPA.
    2. She runs a business that is involved in buying and selling carbon credits.
    3. She is only trying get elected to further her economic interests.

#3 is really funny. She’ll spend a fortune getting elected if she gets elected. Then she’ll work her butt off for $18,000 per year. Somehow, she’ll use her influence in state government to further her carbon trading business. She ought to take the time and money she’ll spend seeking office and donate that time and money to multiple politicians for their next election runs. She’d get a lot more influence that way.

I don’t like the federal income tax. I think it’s idiotically complicated. However, I don’t balme tax accountants for that. I blame Congress.

And, in the interests of symmetry, tell me more about Mr. Fimian’s home inspection business. He’s in the real estate ecosystem. The same fraud laden industry that almost put America into bankruptcy? In fact, I think US Inspect does quality inspections (termites, radon, etc) rather than appraisals. However, as I’m trying to illustrate, a cursory look at his business might lead you to ask unfair questions about where he earns his money.

This woman Ms. Horniko is willing to put her time and effort (as well as some money I guess) into running for office as a Republican. Shouldn’t she be accorded the benefit of the doubt regarding her motives? Shouldn’t criticism from other Republicans (like those writing on this site) be limited to an unemotional, factual discussion of her qualifications?

The Republicans are on an upward trajectory in Virginia and, I’d argue, nationally. Don’t blow it before McDonnell even gets inaugurated.

21. Tyler Durden said on 20 Nov 2009 at 9:33 am:

Correction, Groveton: Conservatives are on an upward trajectory in Va and the Nation. Republicans are still in the dumper, as they should be for foisting Jorge Bush and the Tex-Mex mafia on us for 8 years.

22. Not Carl Schurz said on 20 Nov 2009 at 10:45 am:

Groveton,

I don’t know what sort of emotional upburst you are responding too. You are making the same mistake that you seem to be attacking; focusing on Honrinko. As I said before the reason that she is the focus of attention is because she is the hardest to figure out and has little track record. Filling in those gaps can either came from her own camp or be filled in by conjuncture. The choice is hers not mine. If she is not clear about her stances and statements I’m not obligated to give her the benefit of the doubt, her job is to be clear to and avoid such confusion. At least that is what I expect in a public offical.
    Regarding, Hunt and Nance, that is where the discussion should be focused. Hunt is a creditable solid conservative with proven electoral success in the 37th. Nance has some interesting connections to bring to the table. If I lived in the 37th I’d support Hunt because I value and trust Hunt’s public service and policy decisions; at least more so than the others.

23. Groveton said on 20 Nov 2009 at 12:50 pm:

Not Carl Schurz -

Comments such as this from Local GOP seem emotional:

“Independent Voter–Marianne Horinko served at the upper echelon of government bureaucracy…she is the definition of Federal Bureaucrat. She than took that influence and translated it into a company that sells carbon credits. She has no business experience, she has federal government influence and ‘consults’ and sells bogus carbon credits to paranoid environmentalists.”.

24. Groveton said on 20 Nov 2009 at 12:53 pm:

Not Carl Schurz -

Comments like this from GregL seem emotional:

“Buying carbon offsets strikes me as a modern day purchase of indulgences from the Church of AlGore, so this doesn’t impress me very much. CarbonFund.org is certainly playing off the cult of Obama and his nutty collection of “anthropogenic global warming” adherents, given the design of their logo and the breathless tripe on their website about “saving the planet”. Someone professionally promoting this philosophy might well deserve a few questions about their position on the job-killing “Cap & Tax” legislation moving through Congress.”.

25. Tobias Jodter said on 20 Nov 2009 at 3:51 pm:

seems to me like Mr. Hunt is also working/worked for a company that is sucking on one of the fattest teats of the government pig…

26. Local GOP said on 21 Nov 2009 at 10:25 am:

Groveton–News Flash…..

Just because you say they are emotional does not make them emotional. I am pointing out a fact….Horinko is a member of a select elite group of federal bureaucrats….plain and simple….

27. Groveton said on 21 Nov 2009 at 10:45 am:

Local GOP

Life is short…

You don’t need to be Spock to see, “bogus carbon credits to paranoid environmentalists” as an emotional statement.

My advice is to leave the shrieking to the liberals.

28. Anonymous said on 21 Nov 2009 at 11:38 am:

29. Local GOP said on 24 Nov 2009 at 6:34 pm:

Groveton—

Its called sarcasm…get over yourself.

30. Bridget said on 25 Nov 2009 at 7:13 pm:

Carol Browner, Obama Energy Czar, pulls a Baghdad Bob over climategate:

“Lying is forbidden in America. President Barack Obama will tolerate nothing but truthfulness as he is a man of great honor and integrity. Everyone is encouraged to speak freely of the truths evidenced in their eyes and hearts.”

“The Americans, they always depend on a method what I call … stupid, silly. All I ask is check yourself. Do not in fact repeat their lies.”

A hoax too big to fail.