Jim Webb’s Constituent Service

By Greg L | 16 December 2009 | National Politics, US Senate | 21 Comments

Senator Jim Webb, you better start treating your constituents better. You don’t want more of them feeling like this.

UPDATE: NLS is now attacking this woman.  Read more here.

1. Harold72 said on 16 Dec 2009 at 12:10 pm:

I have tried several times to call Webb and have sent numerous emails.
    The line is usually busy and the responses to the emails have the feel of a third grader doing the responding.
    It seems as if Webb thinks we are stupid.
    In an email I got last night from him he said his final vote on “health care” has not been decided yet. Yea fat chance.

As I have told him several times he’s nothing but a “rubber stamp” and a lackey for the dipstick Reid and I cant wait until 2012 to vote him out of office.

As for Warner that guy is out to lunch on a grand scale.
    Why did we elect a Connecticut whacked out liberal (Warner) to the senate in Virginia.

2. PWCovertaxed said on 16 Dec 2009 at 12:39 pm:

This seems a little dramatic doesnt it? I mean, is this a real situation or propaganda? I agree our elected officials need to be held accountable, but this seems to be just a political video. I have had more trouble getting through to Warner’s office than Webb’s. I always get return emails and have visited the office once and got to speak to the Senator. If they had open door policy all the time, they would never get any work done.

3. JM said on 16 Dec 2009 at 12:53 pm:

“If they had open door policy all the time, they would never get any work done.”

Even if the senator is not available, his staff should always greet a constituent in a courteous, professional manner.

In this video, we have a woman talking about her experience. There is no corroboration, no witness, and of course we don’t get to hear Webb’s version of events. Is this enough for me to condemn Webb or his staff? No, but it is enough for me to be concerned.

4. Anonymous said on 16 Dec 2009 at 1:06 pm:

PWCovertaxed said on 16 Dec 2009 at 12:39 pm: Flag comment

If they had open door policy all the time, they would never get any work done.

The don’t appear to be getting anything dne even with the door closed.
    With few exceptions, The Senate is full of power hungry grubbs. Look at Drudge’s story tosay on Schummer’s latest “foot in the mouth” comment about a stewardess who was only doing her job. He’s a real jerk and I have no respect for either “Spider” Webb and his cohort “Warner Brothers.” The attitude in the Senate is “I’m too important” to talk to you or answer your correspondence.

5. Patty said on 16 Dec 2009 at 1:39 pm:

Try contacting Senator Webb’s office by phone. That is an exercise in futility.

I know from experience.

6. Harold72 said on 16 Dec 2009 at 2:47 pm:

PWcovertaxed, are you monitoring this site for Webb???

You must work in his office the way you are trying to cover for him.

You cant get in touch witht the guy.

Warner is a little more courteous and respectful from a “business” standpoint but he is still a far left moonbat>

Get real.

7. Debbie Lin said on 16 Dec 2009 at 2:57 pm:

FYI - I got an answer when I called Jim Webb’s NoVA number - Phone:703-573-7090
    The woman who answered said thank you and that was it. I asked if Webb would be made aware of the calls and she said absolutely. Not sure though how the staffers keep track of citizens’ opinions. Webb has supposedly “not decided” but I don’t have any confidence he’ll vote no on the bill.

8. PO in Fairfax said on 16 Dec 2009 at 3:08 pm:

Does anyone know if there’s a plan to march on Senator Webb or Warner’s office? I don’t know if they’re in DC, NoVA, or other Virginia offices on the weekend, but I would love to go to their office as a group to tell them to vote no. Or perhaps even on their residential street on the weekend. I normally wouldn’t propose going to anybody’s home, but this is a special case. Most of us have to work during the week, and they are supposed to be working for us and aren’t doing their job. Perhaps showing up on their street with our home-made signs will make them re-think their vote.

9. Enraged in PWC said on 16 Dec 2009 at 4:31 pm:

Who does that POS Webb think he is? He can’t even listen to a grandma and has to send staffers to ignore and abuse her instead of himself personally?

Maybe he was afraid of her.

I sure hope someone like Bob Marshall replaces either of the two utterly crappy, abysmal, garbage, worthless, Nancy Pelosi-loving communists that we have now. Especially Warner. What a fake. Some moderate he turned out to be.

I am so pissed at these two I can’t type anything here without wanting to write a lot of words I shouldn’t use.

10. REG said on 16 Dec 2009 at 10:04 pm:

Here is a note Sen. Webb just sent to me:

Knowing of your interest in the ongoing debate in Congress over health care reform, I wanted to update you on a number of votes and positions that I have taken during the process.

Together with 60 of my colleagues, I voted in favor of proceeding to debate the proposed health care reform legislation. I have yet to decide whether I will support final passage of the bill.

I have stated on several occasions my concerns that the Obama administration should have begun the health care process with a clear, detailed proposal, from which legislation could then be put into place. Instead, the legislation now before the Congress is the product of five separate congressional committees, three in the House and two in the Senate. I and my staff have carefully worked through thousands of pages of sometimes contradictory information, and have done our best to bring focus to the debate and clarity to any final product.

Our country needs health care reform. While a strong percentage of Americans are satisfied with their health care, the system is not working for millions of others. Spiraling costs for health care also have placed our biggest industries at a severe competitive disadvantage worldwide, and have become unsustainable for many small businesses.

But true reform must be done in an effective and responsible fashion, without creating a cumbersome, overly-bureaucratic system. The bottom line should be to achieve a more cost-effective health care system that increases accessibility, affordability, and quality of care, and which does not burden our economy along the way.

The process also requires openness, so that the American people understand exactly what is being debated. At the start of this debate I was one of eight Senators who called on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to post the text and complete budget scores of the health care bill on a public website for review at least 72 hours prior to both the first vote and final passage. This request was agreed to, affording proper transparency in the process.

Over the past few weeks, I have taken a number of difficult votes. As with every other issue since I came to the Senate I have voted my conscience throughout this process. I have broken with my party six times, including four votes to send the current legislation back to committee for a more thorough review. I voted five times against proposed cuts to Medicare due to my concerns about taking half a trillion dollars out of that system at a time when the pool for Medicare is about to expand with the retirement of those in the Baby Boom generation. I am a long-time supporter of Medicare Advantage programs which have, in my view, improved services in rural areas of Virginia, and I did not want to see cuts to benefits or services.

On the issue of abortion, I studied the bill closely to ensure that no taxpayer dollars will be used to fund abortions. I am convinced that this legislation strictly adheres to the requirements of the Hyde Amendment. It also includes clear conscience provisions for providers and consumers who elect to reject a plan that offers such coverage.

Since drug prices in the U.S. have risen dramatically in recent years�a 9% jump in 2009 alone�I have cosponsored an amendment to lower prescription drug costs. The measure would allow Americans to safely import lower-priced, Food and Drug Administration-approved drugs from other approved countries, and save the federal government nearly $20 billion over the next ten years.

In summary, I have been working actively to improve the health care reform bill for the good of our country and without bowing to party politics. As we continue to debate the bill and amend it, I remain hopeful that the Senate can reach consensus on fair and effective health care legislation. Whether this is so will determine my vote on final passage.

As the Senate continues to debate health care reform, please be assured that your views will be very helpful to me and my staff. I hope that you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the years ahead.

Thank you again for your interest in this important matter.

Sincerely,

Jim Webb
    United States Senator

I have advised Senator Webb that his continued support for this current effort to reform health care will mean that I will vote for his opponent in any election. Because I have sent several emails on the topic, his staff keeps sending me this kind of stuff. I don’t think Webb or his staff really reads my email. . .

11. Red, White and Blue said on 16 Dec 2009 at 10:45 pm:

Having been politically active for nearly a decade, I have had contact with many state officials, local officials and some national ones. Most of us have little problem at least seeing and talking to local officials; their meetings are open and they must be available to some degree in most cases at least in our area. I have met Frank Wolf and he has been congenial and talkative. Senator Colgan has been very hard to get a hold of. I had a written letter from him on a recent issue in which he voted the opposite of what he put in writing to me. I faxed him, phone 2 times before the vote (it was for a veto override) leaving messages and then emailed him twice. His assistant never answered, never called back and I never got an email. He voted the opposite of what he wrote me (I faxed a copy of his letter to him). This is poor communication. Even his letter, in the end, meant nothing and, in fact, was a lie.

Warner and Webb are near impossible to contact, especially Warner. May be you have to be a big donor to get a courtesy call. I got the same (Webb) email as noted previously. At least he acknowledged me but still blew off (my opinion) on the issue - “Thanks but I know better than all of you.” I have also tried to contact Schumer and Gillibrand (from a previous life). Talk about one-sided ignorance! Schumer denies you disagree with him and this is only in the form of an email - months later. Gillibrand only addressed me once and it was a blow off as well. Both of them are terrible to constituents.
    Jackson Miller is always available when I want to see him but those who get inside of the beltway hide behind the walls of big government for the most part. After all the tea parties and the town hall meetings I suspect those who failed to listen will dig deeper and put on ear muffs.

Big government is one of the items the Founders attempted to address. It is too bad that some officials use the Constitution like it is to be debated in congressional halls instead of adhered to. It really does say “We The People”. I cannot wait to vote in the upcoming elections. Fitzsimmonds would have been a huge improvement over Colgan. Fimian lacks political experience but Connolly uses his experience as a front for his arrogance. Fimian needs a chance.

Cuccinelli is an excellent representative no matter what people thing of his politics, he is there and he stands tall.

During the business day, our representatives need to address constituents, not ignore them. Getting business done is important but they REPRESENT us, not rule us. One of the caveats of public service is your must be available to constituents and have thick skin for those who oppose you. All issues are important. If a person ran a restaurant like some politicians and a staff run their office, well you get my point. Schumer thinks he is in for life no matter what so he thinks he can afford to “rule”, not “represent”, like Colgan.

12. PWCovertaxed said on 17 Dec 2009 at 7:44 am:

Harold72 - no, I dont work for Webb and didnt even vote for him, but I refuse to get all riled up because of a YouTube video without any factual evidence. That is whats real… It would be IMPOSSIBLE to sit down and talk to EVERY constituent they have here in Virginia…just not enough time, that is what I was saying. Yes, his staff should be courteous and yes all reasonable emails and requests should be replied too. But taking all your anti-Webb frustration (and the so called health care reform) on this blog has nothing to do with a video of a woman who could be in her own home for God sakes is “not real”

13. JTR said on 17 Dec 2009 at 9:40 am:

REG- I got the exact same email, twice

14. Ron Homan said on 17 Dec 2009 at 10:37 am:

If anyone thinks the cretins in congress gives a damn what “We The People” think, best go get a head check. Their only objectrive is power, power, power. Once they smell the marble on Mount Olympus you become a “subject” not a citizen. All correspondence from the vermin is computer generated, and some lackey forwards it via email or in the USPS. The only true answer is term limits.

15. Karla H said on 17 Dec 2009 at 5:43 pm:

Where’s my soapbox? I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Our “representatives” do not represent We the People. They represent themselves and their party.

Obama is taking Intel to court on antitrust grounds, yet our own government is in violation of antitrust. The RepubliCrats have a stranglehold on our country. The 2 parties are colluding to shaft We the People. They simply take turns at it.

The first 4 months of the year that I work is for the government. I pay an average of 33% income tax (and I am basically “blue collar”). And now I see that additionally our government has put us in debt to the tune of $12+ trillion! Thus they have devalued what little I have left. These people (BOTH parties) are absolutely out of control! All they do is spend!

Last night I heard ObaMao say to Charlie Gibson that “if healthcare is not passed the nation will go bankrupt”! Is Obama telling me to sell USDs and buy gold? Is he threatening me? Is spending MORE money in the public coffers on healthcare really going to decrease our $12 trillion debt? Or is this man simply a compulsive liar?

We need a change in our system.
    1. Outlaw national parties. These national organizations are nothing more than a means to stick it to the people. All reps should be independents. They should publish their views on various issues before elections so that people can study their ideology and the pick the candidate who best fits their values. Representatives should represent their voters, not a party.
    2. Technology can provide more than the Founding Fathers ever envisioned. I’m not against using cellphones to make more votes plebiscites. Cellphones are traceable so if you lose yours (and thus your vote) you simply report it. I have nothing to hide. I’d be glad to hit #1 to vote AGAINST illegal aliens right now, and get on with my life. I don’t care who knows. I’m not against raising my hand. I’m proud to show my beliefs. This would be a true Greek democracy.

And Greg, once again, thank you for letting me voice my opinion here. The Aunties would not let me do this. They would say, “your comment is awaiting moderation”. Would the Aunties ever allow an “open plebiscite”? Would they ever allow free and open speech in a true Greek democracy? The Aunties suppress free speech. The Aunties are members of the very Nazi party they so claim to be against. The Aunties are hypocrites. The Aunties are anti-American. At least anti the America I know and love.

16. Maureen said on 17 Dec 2009 at 10:18 pm:

I know the lady in the video and even though I wasn’t there, I assure all of you she isn’t a liar. She spoke about the exact same thing at the townhall on Tuesday night and asked that her State officials listen to the people they represent, unlike our officials at the federal level.

I’m very glad that some people get a response from Webb’s office, I never have. As a matter of fact the only person who ever responds to me has been Frank Wolf. I will say though that Wolfs local offices are a lot more responsive and courteous than his DC office.

17. DPortM said on 18 Dec 2009 at 4:52 am:

In September 2009, I sat in Webb’s outer office while waiting for an appointment with the immigration legislative assistant. The phones rang nonstop and the receptionists did not write down the names of the callers or what the callers said. They both had pads of paper with columns and they were writing check marks on the paper. I assume this was for and against the healthcare reform bill which was the hot issue then as it is now.

If the caller was belligerent and argued with them, they did not write anything on their note pads.

And not once in the 20 minutes I waited did they actually say how the Senator was going to vote on any bill. The mantra was “The Senator has not decided how he will vote.”

18. Larryfromstafford said on 18 Dec 2009 at 8:18 am:

I live in Stafford, and actually supported Webb initially, because I felt he might actually be more independent than he turned out to be, based on his campaign talk. I have tried repeatedly to contact him and Warner to offer my thoughts on issues, and only after the recent town hall firestorms did either acknowledge my calls or emails. Talking with staffers is an exercise in futility. When you email either of them, you check a “subject matter” box on their response form, and that triggers the mentioned canned response that I also received. Fully automated and prepared. If you think they ignore you on “health care”, try getting a response on “immigration” or “budget deficit” issues. Webb and to a lesser extent Warner are simply tools of Reid, and if we don’t like it, must try to vote them out, or somehow recall them. This government takeover of the insurance industry will be followed promptly by Guiterrez’ amnesty bill (already on the floor), the cap and trade insult, and possibly more action on the War on Terror, necessitating a war tax. We cannot simply keep voting the same people back in office and expect anything different. I totally understand the lady in the video with respect to her frustration. Patrick Henry vented against taxation without representation. I wonder what he might have said if he could see 30 million illegals have representation without taxation?

19. Advocator said on 18 Dec 2009 at 10:46 am:

Well said, Larry. The question is not what Patrick Henry would have done, the question is “What should WE do?”

20. Wolverine said on 19 Dec 2009 at 6:03 pm:

Frank Wolf is an interesting variable in all this. A couple of years ago, I scribbled a rather angry and negative response on a generic donation request from the Republican Party. One of my comments pertained to the fact that I had heard nothing publicly from Wolf on a particular issue which I deemed to be critical. I expected my comment to be read by some professional contractor in charge of sending and receiving donation letters and then tossed in the circular file. To my utter surprise, it was not long before I received a handwritten note from Wolf referring to my comment and very politely explaining his stance and his actions on that issue. Could have knocked me over with a feather. Some of these people DO listen.

21. REG said on 20 Dec 2009 at 11:34 pm:

I have yet to decide whether I will support final passage of the bill.

That is what Senator Webb said in his email to me, and others. That leads me to believe he will become the next holdout, and receive hundreds of millions of dollars in “concessions” for the Commonwealth. Or, he is not being truthful in that statement, since Senator Reid thinks he has 60 votes in line to support this @#%*.

I think is likely that Patrick Henry would find this assault on the Liberty of American citizens. . . revolting? Don’t you think?