Since Others Are Getting Freebies…

By Greg L | 19 December 2009 | National Politics, US Senate | 19 Comments

Senator Ben Nelson held out a bit on ObamaCare and got hundreds of millions of dollars from the federal government to cover the increased costs that will be forced on to states like Virginia as a result of this bill.  Senator Mary Landrieu got 300 million dollars for Louisiana in return for her support.  Some states are getting some pretty impressive special favors with taxpayer dollars as part of this deal.

I wonder what Senators Warner and Webb will secure for Virginia in return for supporting this monstrosity, which they almost certainly will.  Anything?

1. Cynic said on 19 Dec 2009 at 2:38 pm:

Not a constitutional lawyer or a lawyer for that matter, but will something like this that gives federal benefits to citizens in one state but not in another, stand a court test?

2. Freedom said on 19 Dec 2009 at 4:36 pm:

Of course! Remember what constitutes the courts. :(

3. Junes_Reston said on 19 Dec 2009 at 6:15 pm:

Doing a little research, according to the Nebraska 2008 Census, about 250,000 people live below the poverty level. Nebraska Medicaid cost for it’s poor is $12,000/year per person (2007). That equates to $1,000 a month for the “Medicaid premium” – billed to the taxpayers. Doing the math, that equates to $3M a year.

Slick Benny gave Nebraska taxpayers an early Christmas Present. For a handshake and a vote, Benny relieved the Nebraska taxpayers of this tax burden, and passed it along to Main Street America.

As an FYI: State contribution to Medicaid is hardly a “small amount.” It’s 43%.
    I sent an email to Warner and Webb and asked what “negotiations” they entered into to relieve VA taxpayers of our Medicaid obligation. Rumor has it Webb is fence sitting.

If anyone knows of an “ID salesperson” please pass it along. As illegal aliens are the only ones who will be exempt from buying an insurance policy, and can still get free health care at the hospital ER – without consequence, I see the “business” picking up. They’ve been impersonating us for two decades – now it’s our turn.

4. Junes_Reston said on 19 Dec 2009 at 6:20 pm:

Cynic said on 19 Dec 2009 at 2:38 pm: Flag comment

=======================

Yes. State Bureau of Insurance mandates which insurers will offer insurance in the state - what they will cover, what they can deny, and who can they deny. A few regulate premiums, but not Virginia.

No two states are the same, that’s why [on forums like the WaPo with national input] some love their isurance because everything is covered and others hate theirs because nothing is covered.

VA General Assembly is primarily Democrat so VA will probably accept the abortion option.

5. Harold72 said on 19 Dec 2009 at 7:12 pm:

It look’s like Dumb and Dumber are just Dumb and Dumber.

As I have said several times to them and their staffers as well on the phone and in email’s both of these guys are just rubber stamps for Reid and we will treat them as such at the ballot box, starting with Webb in 2012.

6. Wolverine said on 19 Dec 2009 at 7:30 pm:

Looks like Rep. Cao (R-LA) has started a trend. Mary Landrieu gets bought for a cool 300 million. Ben Nelson winds up selling out for who knows how much. No doubt others have dipped into that pot of gold from a government that is broke and bankrupt by any normal standards of accounting. Maybe instead of engaging in these backroom silent auctions, our so-called elected representatives and senators ought to start putting their votes up on eBay so others can have a chance to bid. And we thought Huey Long was dead!! “Transparency” — you just can’t beat it.

7. Dave in PWC said on 19 Dec 2009 at 7:43 pm:

Junes,

$1000/month X 12 months = $12,000 X 250,000 = $300,000,000 not 3 million each year!!! What a good deal Nebraska got. Just pointing it out. Maybe all the states will get 300 million…

8. Anonymous said on 20 Dec 2009 at 6:07 am:

This is disgusting. It’s NOT change. Giving pork to a senator in exchange for his vote. I know it happens all the time, but it disgusts me equally every [gratuitous profanity deleted by moderator] time.

9. Junes_Reston said on 20 Dec 2009 at 7:08 am:

oops, is my face red! Thanks for pointing that out - I’m going to try to squeeze out of this by saying its a typo. ;>P

To my credibility, my emails to Webb and Warner were not specific - I just said “millions of dollars”.

10. Groveton said on 20 Dec 2009 at 8:13 am:

Think of how different the would be if George Allen could have just stifled himself instead of blurting out Mecaca on videotape.

Mecaca - the trillion dollar word.

11. Freedom said on 20 Dec 2009 at 11:24 am:

Webb flip-flop? Nope, thus far, he’s just been noncommittal…but you KNOW how he’s going to vote…he’s a frickin’ Democrat, and as always, party before country! :(

12. Jeff Hunter said on 20 Dec 2009 at 4:18 pm:

Webb’s robo-replies to e-mails have had this or something like it in them: “Together with 60 of my colleagues, I voted in favor of proceeding to debate the proposed health care reform legislation. I have yet to decide whether I will support final passage of the bill.”

Like we’re all supposed to be naive enough to believe that he’s merely allowing the process to continue even he doesn’t support the bill . . . like it’s not going to be passed the nanosecond after cloture happens.

Elections have consequences folks. By voting against something (i.e. George Allen fumbling his “macaca” moment, being Republican when the GOP is unfashionable, not being the sharpest tool in the shed, etc.), rather than voting for something (keeping someone in the Senate that would at least be a check on the party coming into power) Virginia is now 2/60th responsible for this debacle.

13. DPortM said on 21 Dec 2009 at 5:25 am:

Both Webb and Warner voted for cloture at 1 am this morning.

14. Anonymous said on 21 Dec 2009 at 9:02 am:

Sounds like Dodd got his state a 100 million bribe as well. 100 million to build a “research” hospital at a state run college or university which is the only medical and dental university in that state. Only handful of states have just one state run university that offers a medical degree - and Dodd’s state is one of them.

And what did VA get out of this? Our Governor is the Chair of the DNC for goodness sake - we should get something for that……….

Elections have consequences. Everyone who voted for Webb or Warner or Connolly needs to remember that. Elections have consequences.

15. Cynic said on 21 Dec 2009 at 11:55 am:

“Since Others Are Getting Freebies…”

OK, according to what I hear they are cutting funding to medicare in this Health Care Reform Bill. So, isn’t that a subtle, underhand way that will end up as being a de facto euthanasia program for the majority of those elderly people who can not afford to obtain quality medical care?

They (most of the elderly) now have medical care. It is being taken away from them.

Seems that I remember from my economics class lecture on welfare economics that when you make a policy move, everyone should either improved their situation or at least stay in the same postion. When you lose benefits, the move should not be made.

Of course, it does not matter when liberals are making the policy as they have no rules except - how much is the payoff or how much more power will we have after the move!

16. Sanford Horn said on 22 Dec 2009 at 1:23 am:

Junes_Reston, FYI, the VA House of Delegates is in the hands of the GOP by a margin of 60-40, while the Senate is controlled by the Democrats 21-19, at last count, if my memory serves me correctly, and I’m sure someone will correct me as I have you.

My next point is to all readers. We always knew the Congress is a bunch of whores, but at least in the cases of Nelson, Sanders and Landrieu we know at price they will sell themselves.

Safe travels folks.

A Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night.

17. Junes_Reston said on 22 Dec 2009 at 11:12 am:

Close Sanford but not quite.

Further, control is not determined by the letter beside the name only - it’s about the oting record. Too many members of the GA with an R beside their names are liberals, wearing conservative suits.

18. Sanford Horn said on 22 Dec 2009 at 2:51 pm:

Junes_Reston,

Granted, and fair enough. Far too many RINOs.

19. VA_Magoo said on 28 Dec 2009 at 6:54 pm:

I sent our wonderful senators email voicing my dis-pleasure with the “Health care reform Bill” and asked them very nicely to vote no. O have not heard back from Warner and I got the robo-reply from Webb.

I have been a silent voter for years, now I am going to be an active “community organizer” and I will do everything I can to see these people DO NOT get re-elected ever again!