video production in Manassas and Prince William County

Jim Rich Bows Out!

By Greg L | 25 January 2010 | RPV | 8 Comments

Apparently sensing that running for re-election would be a lost cause, 10th Congressional District Chairman Jim Rich has decided not to run for re-election.  Congratulations to Howie Lind for already improving the quality and performance of the 10th District just by announcing his candidacy!

UPDATE: VA Social Conservative has some interesting thoughts on this…

1. Loudoun Insider said on 25 Jan 2010 at 4:03 pm:

Oh brother, you’re really going too far with this! No way Rich was worried about Howie Lind - Heidi Stirrup was a much better candidate than Lind could ever hope to be. And she lost big. I think he probably just got tired of constantly battling the wackjobs like Howie and the other Frederickistas.

2. James Young said on 25 Jan 2010 at 4:11 pm:

For a change, I have to agree with Jeff Wolinski AKA Loudmouthed Inciter: I doubt that Rich declined to run again out of any fear of loss. Yes, he’s a prevaricator, and yes, he’s pond-scum. But he has so rigged that district over nearly two decades as Chairman and with unreasonably early filing deadlines that it is doubtful that ANYone could beat him, short of endorsement of Rich’s opponent by Frank Wolf.

3. Greg L said on 25 Jan 2010 at 4:22 pm:

OK, Jim Rich sets the whole thing up like usual - posting the call on the 10th CD website only days before the filing deadline for Chairman candidates, and only running the call in Northern Virginia Daily with everyone scrambling around to find out what the call actually says. The call then includes some bizarre language that appears to make it easier for Democrats to participate that deviates from the approved language that the Courts have blessed.

Not to mention that committee members were read some handwritten notes from Jim as their only information about what the call would contain. They never saw the darned thing before it got “issued”.

Tell me that’s NOT a hallmark of Jim Rich trying to ramrod himself in as Chairman once again.

So suddenly, right after Cuccinelli endorses Lind, Jim Rich declares he’s not running for re-election, and cites “family concerns” as his rationale. Sorry, I’ve seen too many shenanigans from Rich to take that at face value.

I believe Rich thought he couldn’t win. With very few exceptions, that’s the only reason a politician doesn’t run, and Rich is a political hack of the lowest caliber who fits right into this mold.

But those jumping on the “Howie Lind is a nut” bandwagon, and there’s a lot of folks I respect greatly who unfortunately have to their own detriment, can believe whatever they want to. I’m not buying what Rich says. Regardless, when this is over, we’re going to have a better chairman no matter who wins now, and I plan on being friends with both those who supported Howie Lind and those who supported David Schmidt.

4. Greg L said on 25 Jan 2010 at 4:24 pm:

Note: the above comment was not directed at JY.

5. James Young said on 25 Jan 2010 at 4:46 pm:

I didn’t think your comment was directed at me, Greg. However, even though your case is compelling in the abstract, bear in mind that Rich may be so steeped in his own practice and behavior that he followed the same course out of sheer habit and laziness.

I suppose it — whether Rich thought he could win — is a point over which reasonable men may differ. Certainly, I am not, nor would I want to be, privy to his internal deliberations. Imagine that Heart of Darkness!

I don’t know Howie, so I have no basis for endorsing or condemning those on the “‘Howie Lind is a nut’ bandwagon,” save to note that their prior declarations in this regard — like Rich’s behavior — call into question the reliability of any declaration of them that anyone is a “nut.” Indeed, it may well be a case of projection.

6. Anonymous said on 26 Jan 2010 at 1:12 am:

Whom do you support for 10th CD chairman, not who.

7. Ron said on 26 Jan 2010 at 10:11 pm:

Can we have a button for Undecided?

8. NoVA Scout said on 28 Jan 2010 at 8:27 pm:

Given the closeness between Mr. Rich and the Congressman, it may reflect a decision by Wolf not to run again. If Rich wants the job, it’s his. But he’s done it well for a long time. Those jobs are not fun. I never question anyone’s sincerity when they decide to step down.