Snow Postpones Frank Wolf Campaign Kickoff

By Greg L | 4 February 2010 | Uncategorized | 31 Comments

And there’s another early fallout from the snowstorm predicted for this weekend…

If you were planning to attend Frank Wolf’s campaign kickoff on Friday, it has been postponed until February 19th. That’ll leave you some additional time to panic this weekend as you search out where to stock up on milk, toilet paper, and Cheez-its.

1. Truth to Power said on 4 Feb 2010 at 11:07 am:

That’s unfortunate. It is the same night as the Reston Republican 8th Annual Lincoln-Reagan Dinner

2. park'd said on 4 Feb 2010 at 11:17 am:

3. Greg L said on 4 Feb 2010 at 11:17 am:

The event ends at 8PM, so there’s a chance you can go to both!

4. Kevin C said on 4 Feb 2010 at 12:03 pm:

park’d said on 4 Feb 2010 at 11:17 am: “…EPIC foreclosures due to illegal invasion.”

Like I said, sometimes all you can say is, “WOW!!!”

5. Brian Leeper said on 4 Feb 2010 at 12:28 pm:

“Oh yeah, because he’s done soooo much for this area with EPIC foreclosures due to illegal invasion. Pass.”

No, silly, that’s due to the PWC Resolution. Making home loans to people who can get new ID in an afternoon had nothing to do with it.

6. park'd said on 4 Feb 2010 at 12:53 pm:

There’s lots he could have done to demand enforcement of existing laws. Stop giving him a pass. And Kevin I could care less if you say wow. It’s people here that vote for this career politician clown without a second thought that’s gotten us into this mess. He’s been wishy washy about this issue from day one and imo PWC, Manassas and the park can contribute the vast majority of their current financial and social problems to the illegal invasion. I’m not blaming the country’s financial problems on the illegals, just my area and the surrounding areas. Not to mention he voted for TARP which in and of itself should be an immediate pink slip for him. Obviously I am spitting in the wind here though as the majority of you probably don’t even understand the implications of TARP to all of us in the long run. You just see the R in his name and assume all is well. Of course the banks are massively at fault too, but without proper oversight from regulators AND with Congress looking the other way (read wolf), it’s no wonder all of them did what they did. Keep voting for the same people over and over again expecting the same result and let me know how that works for you. What’s the definition of insanity again? As I said before: PASS.

7. park'd said on 4 Feb 2010 at 12:56 pm:

Make that expecting a different result. Sorry, typing too fast to head out of here. Wolf just holds a special place in my heart because he ought to know better and still votes the way he does. That is all I will say about this.

8. Wolf fan said on 4 Feb 2010 at 1:31 pm:

park’d, thank you for defining insanity. It is always good to hear from an expert who has first hand knowledge of being insane.

9. Greg L said on 4 Feb 2010 at 2:00 pm:

OK, calm down people.

Frank is not the most die-hard conservative in the House. Neither is he a RINO. Did he miss the illegal alien problem as it was developing, you bet. How about the foreclosure crisis? Yep. SO DID I.

And not too many people accuse me of being a squish.

Since those problems developed, has he gotten on board trying to resolve the consequences and prevent future occurrences? Yes, he has.

Not a whole lot of folks can look in the mirror and say they’ve been more dedicated to fixing the problems in government than Frank Wolf. I can’t. He’s done a lot and been a strong ally in trying to improve things in Congress, and he is extremely helpful when you’ve got concerns and no one else out there seems to be interested in lending a hand. Rarely are there folks as responsive to legitimate concerns.

For my friends who might not think so highly of the job Frank Wolf has been doing, I’ve a suggestion for you: call his office and get a meeting with him. I’m certain that if you have a chance to speak with him face-to-face about your concerns you’ll find that he’s a lot more helpful than you currently realize.

10. JM said on 4 Feb 2010 at 2:18 pm:

park’d,

I agree with some of the things you said. I do wish Wolf and others in office had been more aggressive about fighting the illegal invasion of our country.

One bright spot recently is Obama’s state of the union address, where he mentioning enforcing existing laws, and said nothing about amnesty. In short, his speech was a big disappointment to the illegal lobby. Now let’s hope he follows through on this policy. For the past year,he’s stuck to his agenda no matter what. Let’s hope he remains steadfast in this area (although much of the rest of his policies should be cast aside).

I was against the repeal of laws that restricted banks, but I have no idea whether Wolf voted for this catastophe. When I read about subprime, interest only, zero documentation and other loan shenanigans I knew that few, if any, of those borrowers would be able to hold onto their homes for more than a couple of years, and I was right about that. But like most others, I was astonished at how widespread these irresponsible lending practices had become.

The most frustating thing about this mortgage mess is that Congress and Obama have scolded the banks, but other than attaching strings to the bailout funds, they have done nothing to rein in lenders. Where is the legislation needed to prevent future catastrophe?

And as for voting for Wolf, it’s true he isn’t the ideal congressman. However, has a better alternative run for his seat recently? Not that I can recall. Give me something better and I’ll vote for the candidate.

11. Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 4 Feb 2010 at 4:28 pm:

No one in Congress has gone after crimninal illegal gangs harder than Frank Wolf. He recognized early on the threat from MS-13 and their ilk, and got funding for the NoVA gang task force. Overall, on the issues that matter to this conservative, Frank gets a B+. You think Feder would have done better. How about carpetbagger Socas? Nope.

12. Kevin C said on 4 Feb 2010 at 5:57 pm:

Greg L said on 4 Feb 2010 at 2:00 pm: “Did he miss the illegal alien problem as it was developing, you bet.”

Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 4 Feb 2010 at 4:28 pm: “He recognized early on the threat…and got funding for the NoVA gang task force.”

O.K. class, WHAT do we know for sure about politicians?

Politicians don’t SOLVE problems, politicians FUND problems!!!!

All together now, One more time!

Politicians don’t SOLVE problems, politicians FUND problems!!!

Don’t interpret this as a negative comment on Wolf!

What it is, is an observation about ALL politicians.

C’mon now, if YOU had a goose that laid GOLDEN EGGS, would YOU KILL IT???

13. park'd said on 4 Feb 2010 at 7:06 pm:

Wolf fan: what about what I said makes me insane? If you’re going to call me insane then back it up. Him voting for TARP should be an instant FIRED from all of his constituents. He’s like Mccain. He blows with the wind instead of taking a stand on issues that are hurting his voting block, i.e. illegals. It is no surprise to me why the park at one time had one of the top 10 foreclosure rates in the COUNTRY during the bust. Not the county, the COUNTRY. Even still most of the west side is basically a den of illegals, section 8 renters and those of us who are underwater and can’t move and are miserable. I bought in 2002 and still values here are at 1999 levels. This happened on Frank’s watch. He will get no vote from me or from any of my friends or family or anyone that I can persuade in the next 9 months. I will be writing in ham sandwich if I have to. I do appreciate the civility from most of you re: my opinion on Frank. I am a diehard conservative and can’t in good conscience vote for a RINO like Frank. And yes, I am very bitter after watching the park turn into a cesspool in the last 4 years and watching my home drop 70% from its peak value.

14. Marla said on 4 Feb 2010 at 8:30 pm:

Kevin C, you crack me up - good post! Everyone needs to calm down and focus. The republicans and democrats are two evil wings of the same bird. The fighting is a ploy to prevent us from centering on what is truly wrong with this country. Once we stop fighting and pointing fingers at each other the air will clear. We cannot vote for the status quo - ever. It will take someone with true vision and leadership, and no right/left hard alliance to fight for the American people. The illegals were allowed in by both parties. You can vote for Frank a hundred times over and Frank is not going to remove them because he is a politician. Who is going to remove them? The people. With a lot of hard work, some true leadership, and dedication by all citizens, we can get what we want.

Anyone willing to take the lead?

15. Greg L said on 4 Feb 2010 at 8:39 pm:

park’d, I’d submit that Frank Jones has a lot more to do with the disaster in Manassas Park than Frank Wolf does. Focus your ire on the targets that truly deserve it — those that knowingly and willingly handed over the Park to illegal aliens and gang-bangers. While the feds created the conditions where something like what happened in the Park could be possible, it was the political “leadership” in Manassas Park that was determined to do whatever they could in order to exacerbate the situation and then do virtually nothing to correct it.

Frank Wolf didn’t issue building permits and occupancy certificates to single family residents turned into multiple dwellings that have 90% lot coverage. Wolf didn’t turn the MPPD into a thugocracy. All that and more should be laid at the feet of the local, rather than federal elected officials.

16. Kevin C said on 4 Feb 2010 at 9:55 pm:

Marla said on 4 Feb 2010 at 8:30 pm: “The fighting is a ploy to prevent us from centering on what is truly wrong with this country.”

Marla said on 4 Feb 2010 at 8:30 pm: “It will take someone with true vision and leadership, and no right/left hard alliance to fight for the American people.”

Only problem is no one, and I mean NO ONE makes it inside the beltway unless he or she is in SOMEONE’S pocket!!!

Marla said on 4 Feb 2010 at 8:30 pm: “The republicans and democrats are two evil wings of the same bird.”

Good analogy, the PROBLEM is POLITICIANS (that BIRD you’re referring to)!!!

See class, SOMEONE is PAYING ATTENTION!!!!!

17. park'd said on 4 Feb 2010 at 10:58 pm:

That’s what I have been saying people. Don’t just vote for Wolf because he’s an R. Vote ham sandwich if you have to. Wolf has truly done nothing in his time as my congressman. Granted that has only been 8 years or so but still. What do you suggest Jones do Greg? It’s a federal problem for the most part. I agree the ‘hotels’ that infect the west side they could have done something about but other than that it’s not like he can issue orders to tell the police to round them up. When PWC tried that they all just left in the middle of the night and let their houses go into foreclosure causing an epic crisis here. A year later they all just moved right back in again as renters instead of owners. I’ve got a very troublesome neighbor right now that is making my life a living hell. There’s at least 10-12 of them in that house banging around 24-7, coming and going all the time, parking in my 2nd spot to drop people off and pick people up scuffing against my car. It’s truly a nightmare. I honestly don’t even know how many are over there now. It’s at least 10 and probably 12 or more. I tell people there is only one way out of the park now and that is through foreclosure or a pine box.

18. Greg L said on 4 Feb 2010 at 11:48 pm:

The Gang Task Force that Wolf set up has helped considerably, but I can understand if you haven’t personally seen the results. He also kept that UN investigator out of PWC, otherwise we’d have had the UN digging through local laws and policies. Wolf is the one man who shut that down. Can more be done, sure. But not one Senator did a thing about all this while Wolf was actually making an effort.

As far as MP goes, here’s a start:

1. Actually enforce building and zoning codes. Fine violators quickly and heavily. The city can use the darned money.

2. Fire every city employee involved with allowing people to subdivide their residential properties and investigate whether fraud, bribes, or other forms of corruption were involved.

3. Issue residential parking stickers and limited visitor tags and let every towing company in the area troll for violators. Revenue from tows would be split 70-30 with the towing companies.

4. Sell or lease the new rec center that is costing a fortune for the city to a private company and use the proceeds to pay off debt.

5. Require police to inquire about the immigration status of all persons encountered during the course of their duties, no matter what they look or sound like. Anyone who satisfies probable cause gets checked using the patrol car laptops (they have a software module for this) and reported to ICE.

6. Outside independent auditor comes in and scours city government and police department from top to bottom. Particular attention is paid to finances.

7. Fire Dean Crowhurst. Settle outstanding lawsuits. Get a city attorney that isn’t a liar.

8. Require local businesses to use E-Verify as a condition for obtaining or renewing a business license.

9. Amend the city charter to disallow the city from purchasing real estate for the purposes of economic development, restricting the city’s purchase of land to strictly that which it needs for public purposes. Sell the Town Center project and use proceeds to pay down debt.

10. Buy Frank Jones a one way ticket to Pyongyang, North Korea and see that he gets there. Then, find some way to have his passport revoked so he can’t come back.

19. Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 5 Feb 2010 at 9:50 am:

“FACT: All throughout history, it’s been PROVEN that the easiest way to control the “population” is to keep them at each others throats!”

Ahem…care to reference this? You act as if there is some master-puppeteer pulling our strings, and claim it to be historical fact. A more thoughtful view of history would point to different groups with competing interests vying for control. In the case of a representative democracy, those elected represent the interests of those who put them there. When one group manages to get total control, that is called an Autocracy, Oligarchy, etc.

Frank Wolf is a good man, who appeals to a very wide swath of voters. Looking at the vote totals during the last several election cycles would bear this out. When “I”’s were dumping “R’s” in favor of “D’s” thery kept right on voting for Frank Wolf. Why? It’s because he represents his constituants very well.

Park’d and Kevin C., I have to wonder how you will feel when MP is redistricted into perhaps say the 11th? How you going to feel with Gerry Connolly as your congressman? If you don’t think it’s possible, think again.

20. Loudoun Insider said on 5 Feb 2010 at 9:58 am:

Park’d is a lost cause. Wolf has done more on illegal alien gangs than anyone else in Congress.

21. Kevin C said on 5 Feb 2010 at 11:20 am:

Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 5 Feb 2010 at 9:50 am: “Ahem…care to reference this?”

Like I said, sometimes all you can say is, “WOW!!!”

Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 5 Feb 2010 at 9:50 am: “…those elected represent the interests of those who put them there.”

WOW!!!

Talk about WISHFUL THINKING!!!

22. Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 5 Feb 2010 at 11:28 am:

Lest we not forget, it was a tantrum by the voters that got us Barrack Hussain Obama as president. People deserve the government that they get.

23. park'd said on 5 Feb 2010 at 11:41 am:

A vote for TARP = FIRED. He should have been fired in November 08 for it but everyone was so scared of Feder that they just keep voting for Frank. How can you people not see this? Nevermind..

Honestly gangs are not the issue as much as allowing them to take over entire swaths of areas and buy homes and abandon them when the other illegals they rent their rooms to can’t find jobs. And LI, I could honestly care less what you think as your opinions mean less and less these days to those of us in NoVa. Go ahead and keep voting for the same old same old and wonder why we are in such a mess. The dem senators are liberals and they can’t help themselves because they are deluded socialists. Frank should know better. Most of you probably have no idea wtf I am even talking about because you don’t have to live on the west side of the park which pretty much took the BRUNT of the illegal alien invasion in the DC metro area.

24. Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 5 Feb 2010 at 12:19 pm:

Park’d,

I am sure the folks in Irongate would disagree with you regarding “who has it worse”. The folks in Westgate might try to stake a claim. Longtime Georgetown South residents might chime in too.

To Greg’s earlier point, while there are failings at all levels of government, who do you think is most responsible for the state of the west side of MP? Hint; The level of government responsible for the west side of MP. Your glorious Mayor, City Council, MPPD, Dean Cowhurst. When PWC BOCS and Manassas City council were doing everything in their legal power to drive illegals from their jurisdictions, were working with the citizens group HSM, the Park just scoffed at this. You want to get angry and do something? Get your name on the ballot next time for MP city council.

25. Anonymous said on 5 Feb 2010 at 1:30 pm:

park’d said on 4 Feb 2010 at 11:17 am: Flag comment

Thought you left town for greener pastures since you hate the park. Suggest you check Congressman Wolf’s voting record on illegal immigration before you spout off.

26. Anonymous said on 5 Feb 2010 at 1:38 pm:

A bit off of subject but……

Both Panda’s that have recently returned to China were born in this country. How come they were not covered under the anchor baby law and given automatic citizenship? We don’t deport our Mexican and Central American anchor babies. Just wondering! :)

27. I can move out of the Park anytime I want. said on 5 Feb 2010 at 1:48 pm:

“Get your name on the ballot next time for MP city council.”

Nearly of the problems in MP originate from decisions made at One Park Center.

That’s a fact.

Sounds a lot like Frank Jones these days, blaming financial woes on levels of government above. If it isn’t the state, it’s the Feds. Never once will the local government take any responsibility for getting out of the hole they themselves dug.

Let me ask you this..in this entire metro area, why was MP so hard hit? What is the ONE THING that differs from MP with regards to the rest of the metro area vis-a-vis the government?

OH yea–that’s right–the LOCAL government–and the don’t-give-a-crap citizens who let it do whatever it wants.

Stop blaming MP’s self-inflicted problems on Wolf, PWC’s participation in 287G, or anything other than the true cause of these problems, namely One Park Center.

28. I can move out if I want. said on 5 Feb 2010 at 1:49 pm:

Please delete the dup comment. OTOH, maybe it needs to be repeated for emphasis.

29. Loudoun Insider said on 5 Feb 2010 at 7:17 pm:

Park’d I could care less what you or anyone else thinks of my opinion. And no one will care about yours either when Wolf gets re-elected again. Booting Wolf out for a Dem will do NOTHING for your plight in Mannassas. I feel for you, but there are a lot more people to blame for the sorry state of Mannassas than Frank Wolf.

30. Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 6 Feb 2010 at 12:06 pm:

LI,

Park’s is in Manassas Park, not Manassas. Manassas is doing much better than Manassas Park, the main difference being the quality of the Manassas City council…and perhaps a more involved citizenry.

31. Kevin C said on 8 Feb 2010 at 5:39 am:

Ayn Rand IS Right! said on 5 Feb 2010 at 9:50 am: “Park’d and Kevin C.”

This may seem pickyune but, when you use MY name and Park’d in the same sentence, in the context you did, you make it look as if I am ANTI Wolf which I am NOT!

I’m ANTI politician!!!

Especially the ones (and this is pretty much ALL) who PROVE my theory that, “Politicians don’t SOLVE problems, politicians FUND problems!!!”

Obama is in the process of PROVING it by, in essence, handing an OIL RICH country over to TERRORISTS because, just as soon as we MOVE OUT of Iraq, Al Quaeda will MOVE IN!!!!

Anyone who doesn’t believe that is EATING UP that “PIE in the SKY” Obama is SELLING!!!

TRY not to CHOKE!!!!