Are You Kidding Me?

By Greg L | 25 February 2010 | Fairfax County, US Congress, Prince William County | 32 Comments

Mason Conservative notes the differing choices Keith Fimian and Pat Herrity made in deciding a venue for their campaign kickoff events, and it kind of makes you wonder what’s up with the Herrity campaign.  After Herrity withdrew from the Commonwealth Transportation Board after missing a huge chunk of their meetings, you have to wonder if Herrity wants to lose this race.

Do they not understand the mood of the country and of Republicans?  I’ve been to the Springfield Country Club before (for John Frey), and its nice don’t get me wrong.  But in challenging the Democrats on out-of-control spending, do we really want a potential candidate kicking things off at a country club?

Seriously.  Is there a Connolly mole in the Herrity campaign staff?

1. Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 12:37 pm:

I saw the post at Mason Conservative. I made the following comment over there:

“When asked for comment on the allegation made by Mason Conservative that the Herrity campaign was tone deaf, a spokesperson for the Fimian campaign said, “HUH?”

If ever a campaign had no business accusing anyone else of being tone deaf it is the Fimian campaign.

Geez! You are stretching just a bit don’t you think? Maybe you should stick with the Tom Davis as puppet master stuff. Or charging that the Herrity campaign was caught flat footed and unprepared because they had the good sense not to respond to the bizarre behavior of the Fimian campaign on the day of Herrity’s announcement.

Don’t get me wrong. I am rooting for you. As a Democrat I would like to see Fimian get the nomination. That’s why it is so painful to see such a stream of silliness coming from Fimian supporters.”

2. Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 12:53 pm:

I realize Fimian fans will completely disagree with me about who will be the stronger candidate in the general election. They may be correct and I may be wrong about that. What is hard for any objective observer to ignore is the stumble bum quality of the 2010 Fimian crew. If he doesn’t start getting better advice and running a better campaign he won’t have to worry about decorating a Congressional office any time soon.

Getting back to the point of the post. If holding a kickoff event at the Springfield Country Club is such an egregious error (and I certainly don’t think it is), then where were the posts about the recent meeting of the RNC in Hawaii? They spent pretty lavishly on that one. Oh, wait! Can’t criticize the home team.

But if an opponent is involved then we must pretend every molehill is a mountain. And it is a stretch to even see a molehill in Herrity’s choice of a venue for his kickoff.

If you guys want Fimian to be your nominee you might spend more time giving people an affirmative reason to vote for him and less time on this ridiculous stuff. Much more of it and you run a serious risk of making Fimian look ridiculous. And that wouldn’t be fair to him.

Although it is his campaign and his messaging. Maybe he should get hold of it or risk showing himself to be lacking the ability that the job requires.

3. Ronald said on 25 Feb 2010 at 1:22 pm:

Im still shocked as to why Jackson Miller endorsed Herrity

4. Herrity for Fairfax GOP Messiah, not for Congress said on 25 Feb 2010 at 1:23 pm:

So what if Fimian’s campaign distributed a press release at Herrity’s announcement? All Pat’s establishment buddies do is talk trash about Keith and spread ridiculous, nasty rumors…can you blame the guy for wanting to throw down the gauntlet at Pat’s supposed coronation? Pat needed a wake up call anyways. Contrary to what the establishment crowd had been telling Pat as they played on his ambition to push him into the race, winning this nomination isn’t going to be easy. His buddies do no represent the electorate that will determine this nomination–the Republican primary voter in the district doesn’t view Pat as the second coming because he got elected to the Board of Supervisors and throws a good booze bash every St. Patrick’s Day. And I say got elected, because it doesn’t sound like he has been doing too much since then on the board besides running for higher office.

5. Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 1:42 pm:

Herrity for Fairfax Messiah, not for Congress,

Congratulations! I believe you have encapsulated in a single blog comment all the idiotic nonsense that has been bandied about by Fimian supporters who seem to believe that their guy is owed the nomination merely because he ran in 2008.

Oh, wait. You didn’t mention Tom Davis as the evil puppet master manipulating Herrity. Can’t forget the boogie man.

But you did mention him being pushed into the race by an anonymous “establishment crowd” that “played on his ambition”.

What nonsense.

Coronation? I think it is called an announcement of candidacy.

It would seem that it is you who desire a coronation for your candidate. How else to explain the offense you take at anyone having the effrontery to file for the same office as your guy? Do you not see the irony in your insistence that 11th CD Republicans hold a coronation for Fimian?

Get a grip. You are making the point better than I ever could. Fimian is being made to look ridiculous by his own supporters. One could easily conclude he isn’t ready for primetime.

6. Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 2:07 pm:

Ronald, why be shocked? Why don’t you ask Miller why he made the endorsement. I’m sure he would be happy to share that with you.

Could be he thinks Herrity would make a good Congressman. That is always a good reason to endorse someone. He may think Fimian would make a good Congressman too, but thinks Herrity would be better.

Politics may have entered into it too. He may believe Herrity will run more strongly in a general election in the district than Fimian will. And in a Democratically leaning district that is a rather important consideration.

7. Herrity for Himself said on 25 Feb 2010 at 2:40 pm:

Does Dan have a job?

Maybe Herrity’s camp is paying him off to trash talk on the blogs all day.

Just a thought.

8. Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 2:58 pm:

Herrity for Himself, so you resort to ad hominem attacks when I point out the silliness of the things so many Fimian supporters keep saying? I guess it would be pretty hard to mount a defense of ludicrously claiming your opponent is seeking a coronation while demanding a coronation for Fimian. I guess personal attacks are your best bet.

If you had read my initial comment you would know that I am a Democrat. I am rooting for your boy Fimian because I am convinced (I believe with sound reasoning) that he is the weaker of the two Republicans. That is why I am so upset that it seems his campaign is being run by morons. Do you understand? I want your guy to win the nomination. I hardly think Herrity would pay someone to promote a more competent Fimian campaign. Do you?

If you do you should apply for a position with the Fimian campaign. You’ll fit right in. I believe they have a lot of folks who fall down a lot.

9. Conservative 2 said on 25 Feb 2010 at 4:32 pm:

Fimian—would make a good Congressman! Give him a chance.

I am sure he will attend his meetings. Thats more than Herrity did!

Many of us told Fimian that he need a new crew and sure hope he finds some good people to run his campaign. He also relied on the wrong crowd last time around,so perhaps he learned from all of that. He sure should have had that election,so hopefully we will see an energized candidate emerge in Fimian.

Sure hope so ,as we don’t need Connolly or a carbon copy of Connolly.

It’s OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH THE NEW !!!!

10. local gop said on 25 Feb 2010 at 10:29 pm:

So herrity holding an event at a country club is bad, but PWCRC holding an event at a country club is ok? Yeah, so ‘fair and balanced’…..

11. local gop said on 25 Feb 2010 at 10:34 pm:

additionally, has fimian done anything for the community? didnt think so…..why should the community elect a leader that only showed up for the 2008 elections? pat herrity jumped in when the GOP brand was in the toilet and won, he outperformed fimian in fairfax county in the special chairmans race, and he has done a lot more for the community than fimian x100…..no competition here. if the business man didnt have time to serve the community before, he certainly isnt going to have time to serve in congress.

12. Chris said on 25 Feb 2010 at 11:15 pm:

“why should the community elect a leader that only showed up for the 2008 elections? ”

That is EXACTLY why I support Fimian. He showed up when nobody else would.

“f the business man didn’t have time to serve the community before, he certainly isn’t going to have time to serve in congress.”

That is the perfect quote for how arrogant the Herrity people are. Define serving your community? Is someone disqualified from office because they didn’t “serve” the community? What if he was busy running a company and raising a family? I’m getting married next year, if I have kids and can’t make it to FCRC meetings or HOA meetings am I disqualified from office? Its assinine and arrogant to judge competency for public office based on “community service.” That’s how we got stuck with Barack Obama.

And you don’t know what Fimian has done with Catholic charities, Legatus, or Youth Leadership Foundation. Just because he’s worked on his own for most of his life shouldn’t disqualify him against an opponent who’s background is no different except for a last name that has opened doors for him.

13. Greg L said on 25 Feb 2010 at 11:16 pm:

There you have it folks: “local gop” endorses Herrity.

That should take care of the undecideds.

14. Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 11:25 pm:

local gop, obviously I agree with you about the country club nonsense. But I’m not sure I agree that Herrity’s performance in the special election for Chairman of the BoS is evidence that he would run stronger than Fimian. Herrity almost stole one there to be sure, but it is hard to compare the results from a low turnout special election with a regular midterm election and draw any meaningful conclusions.

I have called out the Fimian folks when they try to sell the notion that Fimian significantly outperformed McCain in the 11th in 2008. He polled less than one percent better than McCain. Hardly significant. But I don’t find anything in past election results that makes a convincing case for Herrity being stronger. I believe Herrity would be the stronger candidate. I just don’t think the case is made by parsing past election statistics.

The voters will decide how much to weigh prior service to the community. Sometimes you get a candidate with a wealth of relevant community service like John Cook in the Braddock District. That helped him win in a very Democratic district. But that is only one of many factors that voters may use in making a voting decision.

One thing is for sure. Voters are not likely to flock to a wealthy, largely self funding candidate because they think his opponent is elitist for having a campaign event at a country club.

15. local gop said on 26 Feb 2010 at 1:08 am:

Its a matter of record. when comparing vote totals, herrity performed better than fimian did in two elections, of which, he has a 50% win ratio. Fimian has a 0% win ratio.

“Busy running a company and raising a family”–then what makes him think he has time for Congress? Fimian had the ability to self fund in 2008, no one else did; hence why he ran, it was about the money, dont be fooled into thinking it was about something else.. Him in running in 2008 doesnt entitle him to a free ride in 2010, period.

16. Chris said on 26 Feb 2010 at 7:40 am:

No. Every single elected pol was scared sh*tless about running against Obama, Warner and Connolly - every single one of them. Fimian ran anyways. I remember writing blog posts and attending various meetings talking with other Republicans pleading with Tom to run for reelection, for Hugo or O’Brien or anyone else to run but nobody. I don’t blame them, they have their careers to take care of I can’t blame that. But they did NOT run because of the climate and the inevitability of a loss. Fimian went out there anyways and I believe he’s earned the chance to finish what he started. I also agree with his more aggressive articulation of conservative principles.

The reason he has time for Congress dummy is because he has stepped down from his job to run for it. Jeez, I don’t mind debating but its really hard to debate someone who doesn’t know anything.

17. Dan said on 26 Feb 2010 at 8:01 am:

local gop, you are correct that running in 2008 does not entitle him to a free ride to the nomination in 2010. But Chris is also correct to say that his stepping up in such a difficult year for Republicans is something for which his fellow Republicans should give him credit. And it’s something one might legitimately give weight to when deciding who to vote for in the primary. You can’t dismiss it out of hand as if it is meaningless.

I have great respect for any first time candidate. It is a tremendous sacrifice for both the candidate and the candidate’s family.

18. NoVA Scout said on 26 Feb 2010 at 8:45 am:

I don’t think Country Clubs are at the root of government spending problems. In fact I very much doubt Springfield CC has gotten any, and certainly not significant levels of, federal funds. So the link between that site a fiscal responsibility is hard to discern.

19. PWC4FIMIAN said on 26 Feb 2010 at 11:17 am:

Herrity supporters are pissed because Pat jumped in the race expecting everyone to flock to him. It isn’t happening. At best support is splitting slightly in Fimian’s favor in Fairfax and Fimian is clobbering him in PWC.

Herrity doesn’t understand the average Republican primary voter. It was hilarious watching him trying to deliver conservative redmeat at the PWC Lincoln Day dinner. Clearly the guy has been positioning himself as a moderate his entire career…no one is buying the conservative rhetoric.

20. Kingsley said on 26 Feb 2010 at 12:05 pm:

We need to be careful dinging either one of these guys. One of them will be the nominee and I can assure you that either one of them is much, much better than Connolly!

21. Freedom said on 26 Feb 2010 at 2:09 pm:

Kingsley, your comments are the most valuable of all…thank you and I agree 100%. I’m in PWC and support Keith, but I’ll support either one in the general election. Ya see, I just can’t wait to call Gerry Connolly and offer him a job cutting my grass or power washing my deck. :)

22. Woodbridge said on 26 Feb 2010 at 6:19 pm:

Either one is better than Connelly. I’ve heard both of them speak, checked out their web sites, signed up for their respective email and facebook alerts etc etc etc. So far, neither one seems to be God’s gift to the district but either would be acceptable. Keith hits all the populist buttons that soud good on the campaign trail but make it difficult to actually govern. Pat seems to understand government a bit better but hasn’t demonstrated any fire in the belly. I recieve 2-3 facebook messages a day from Fimian and only just recieved my first from Herrity this week. Kieth can win the primary with the populism but it could hurt him in the general. Pat needs to kick his activity level up at least three notches to even begin to compete in the primary and 3 more notches for the general.

I hope we can have a spirited primary without generating so many hard feelings we are unable to come together to support one or the other in the general. That has been an unfortunate tendency that has cost us several elections over the past 10 years. We need to get past it.

Finally, I am afraid that even if we do take this seat in 2010, we will just give it back in 2012 after redistricting. It will be difficult to draw lines that do not produce 2 very blue districts in Northern Va with a redish purple distirect in Loudon and PWC with a hook into Vienna to pick up Frank Wolf’s house.

23. Greg L said on 26 Feb 2010 at 6:43 pm:

Woodbridge, good comments all.

I’m hopeful the primary will be conducted without generating unnecessary animosity. I think the people Fimian brought on lately grasp the importance of this, and to his credit Herrity seems to have understood from the beginning. You never know what’s going to happen during the campaign, but the consensus from the electorate has been pretty clear about how they want this conducted, and both sides get it. Now if we can just keep somewhat of a lid on everyone else apt to throw gasoline around. As a notorious political firebrand myself who has cast about my fair share of gas (and them some, perhaps), I’m hoping to set a tone in this that will be more an example than an exception, because that’s what’s needed here.

24. VA Blogger said on 26 Feb 2010 at 9:14 pm:

Compared to other threads, this one has been pretty even-handed, which is an encouraging sign.

Though I look forward to more objective analysis from PWC4FIMIAN.

25. Doc said on 27 Feb 2010 at 1:44 pm:

A mole in the Herrity camp? Just follow the puppet strings back to Tom Davis and his Main Street Coalition. Herrity is just a mouth piece for the moderates and RINOs that Davis hangs with.

26. local gop said on 27 Feb 2010 at 3:51 pm:

“The reason he has time for Congress dummy is because he has stepped down from his job to run for it”
    ****
    I’m not ‘in’ with the Fimian crowd, so I am not entitled to information that isnt in a press release. Im 90% positive he didnt put out a press release saying “Im quitting my job to run for congress.” I do know, however, that his campaign office is still in his US inspect office though, which leads a reasonable person to believe that he is still employed by US inspect. Being a member of congress is about more than job creation. fimian, at best, has a luke warm record on job creation and quite frankly us inspect doesnt really convince anyone that he is going to create more jobs in congress as 1/435 people in the minority, its really an idiotic argument. aside from “i ran a company” i havent heard any other qualifications from Fimian. he is empty on government experience, which is necessary whether or not you choose to recognize it. he is empty on past service to the community. the community at large doesnt know who fimian is, at all. herrity, while lacking in the name recognition of connolly, has community roots, service experience, and has experience fighting for lower taxes and conservative values in government. but fimian has his company, oh wait, no, apparently he quit that….

27. Beantowngurl said on 27 Feb 2010 at 5:48 pm:

Local GOP comments about others being empty on this or that. The punk is certainly empty on spelling and Punk-tuation. Somebody wake me when he grows up and gets a clue.

28. local gop said on 27 Feb 2010 at 11:28 pm:

btg:

arent you the one that claimed the federalist papers that advocated big government were what ‘true’ conservatives based their governing style off of?

29. Babe said on 28 Feb 2010 at 1:29 am:

Local GOP,
    You’re supposed to read the papers, not smoke them. Your string is showing again.

30. local gop said on 28 Feb 2010 at 3:24 am:

babe,
    you too, if i remember correctly you were also on that band wagon with btg….oh thats, tom davis is pulling my strings…..idiot.

31. Babe said on 28 Feb 2010 at 9:42 am:

Actually, that wasn’t the string I had in mind. But since you brought up the topic, if Tom Davis is pulling your strings, you might be a puppet.

32. local gop said on 28 Feb 2010 at 12:28 pm:

well yes, tom davis the congressman himself is taking the time out of his day to call me personally and tell me exactly where to go and exactly what to say. do you ever listen to yourself? maybe if you do you’ll realize that you and btg are the only ones that actually agree about this. even greg doesnt go around calling people TD sock puppets….