Bad Call, Governor

By Greg L | 26 February 2010 | National Politics, Virginia Politics, US Senate | 69 Comments

This is a big disappointment.  I could understand Governor McDonnell keeping mum about the Arizona senate race, but I can’t understand Bob McDonnell endorsing for re-election that tremendous and consistent disappointment to conservatives called John McCain.

1. local gop said on 27 Feb 2010 at 12:26 am:

Not everyone has the same warped sense of politics like you, greg. apparently neither does the governor. i am waiting for the tea baggers to start calling the governor a RINO.

2. Citizen12 said on 27 Feb 2010 at 12:55 am:

Other than the reasons given by the Governor…

No matter the outcome, he’s covered his debt.

3. Fairfax_7 said on 27 Feb 2010 at 6:05 am:

And Palin endorced him too. What magic does John McCain the progressive possess?

4. Chris said on 27 Feb 2010 at 6:24 am:

Fairfax_7

The Palin endorsement I get, because how can she say he was the man to be president during the campaign but not reelected as senator. But McCain spent a lot of time and money campaigned for McDonnell, Christie, and Brown this year so its not a suprise to me that two of them paid him back.

Besides, I tend to agree with Greg that McCain isn’t the greatest but JD Hayworth is nothing to get incredibly excited about. There is a reason he lost reelection and it wasn’t just because it was a “bad year.”

5. Tom Andrews said on 27 Feb 2010 at 6:25 am:

It’s simply part of the game. Often endorsements are repaying old political debts or posturing for future favors. They mean very little to the big picture, Arizona voters aren’t really going to be swayed by the endorsement of McCain or his opponent by the Governor of Virginia. Politically, one assesses the electoral situation, and as long as you don’t have any strong feelings or motivated self interest one way or the other, you endorse the candidate you feel has the best chance to win; in most cases the incumbent. It is bad politically to have endorsed the loser.

And yes, it is inevitable that we will again not learn anything from our electoral victories this year and set out on the march to drive away those that decide every election-the majority of the voters that live between the 40 yard lines. The infamous “RINO” term will again rear it’s ugly head as we will read too much into these victories and over reach just as the Democrats did last year. One can feel it coming, to all of you independents, moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats thanks for the wins in Virginia, New Jersey, and Mass now be quiet and go away. The RINO concept is the most destructive force in the party today and the Democrats love it. They dont have to beat viable candidates as long as we continue to keep them from participating.

Anyone who watched Governor McDonnell’s campaign strategies last year should realize it was almost flawlessly executed. And RINO or no RINO the bottom line is we aren’t talking about Governor Deeds. At the end of the day that’s what’s important.

6. The Patriot (Got E-Verify???) said on 27 Feb 2010 at 7:15 am:

“Mailbag: Illegal immigrants abuse our good will”

7. The Patriot (Got E-Verify???) said on 27 Feb 2010 at 7:17 am:

“What is this “immigration reform” that those supporting illegal aliens keep demanding?”

8. Credo said on 27 Feb 2010 at 7:27 am:

Tom expresses my thoughts pretty well. Ultimately are the voters of Arizona going to care what McDonnell says?

I somewhat understand this. Hayworth’s bid is a long shot at best but it is a credible enough challenge to keep McCain’s money in AZ. We know the kind of candidates McCain would fund.

The real question for the Governor is what does this endorsement entail? I don’t see him flying to AZ to campaign and then there’s the $$$$ factor.

9. Tom Andrews said on 27 Feb 2010 at 7:40 am:

Endorsements of these types don’t really entail anything beyond putting your name in a certain column. What happens is the Governor, as a prominent Republican recent winner and whispered about future candidate is asked who he supports. While irrelevant to the Arizona electorate, to not endorse anyone will be trumpeted by the national media as a tacit endorsement of a challenger to a sitting Republican Senator and his own party’s most recent Presidential candidate. It’s a media box he is put into and the only method of safe extrication is to endorse McCain regardless of his own personal leanings. Unfortunately the business of running government has become a game…

10. VA Blogger said on 27 Feb 2010 at 7:52 am:

Credo, McCain’s money would go to Republican nominees for the Senate and House. Good thing we’re keeping it tied up!

It should also be noted that practically everyone has endorsed McCain over the odious Hayworth, and even Jim DeMint is staying neutral.

11. Conservative 2 said on 27 Feb 2010 at 10:45 am:

Tom Andrews has summed it up very well for me.It is obvious he knows and understands being a conservative/republican.

Many ,many times I have seen the so called republicans being more RINO,than the ones they call RINO. They are self serving, nasty and always finding fault with their republican commrad.If you don’t think exactly how they do,then your a RINO.

Christy Whitman’s book”I.m A Republican too” is very enlightening as to the mentality of those around us. We are individuals and we think for our selfs, doesn’t mean we are always right but it also means you are not always right. She calls for working together if we want to stay a Party. Not always tearing the other person down.

We need to learn something from so many losses in Politics.We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.

12. Greg L said on 27 Feb 2010 at 11:09 am:

Let’s see here. Follow the lead of the tax-raising Christine Todd Whittman who hasn’t had an appreciable impact on American politics since she left elected office in New Jersey. Or I can follow the lead of Ken Cuccinelli, a dedicated and unapologetic conservative who consistently wins elections today, along with Chris Christie, Bill Bolling, and arguably Bob McDonnell.

Tough choice.

I gather Christine Todd Whittman is sort of in the mold of Russ Potts and John Chichester. Where are Russ and John now? Hmmm.

13. Tom Andrews said on 27 Feb 2010 at 12:01 pm:

The men listed above are all fine Republicans who have won elections which tends to prove the position that I’ve espoused for years. Among the four listed as fit to follow one could argue that they run the gamut across almost the entire spectrum of conservative thought and yet they have won. One only need look at the level of government held by each of these gentlemen to see that as an individual competes in broader electoral arenas, the need to accept varying political stripes is paramount. As a politician moves from the County level, to the AG spot to LG to Gov and even beyond, the electorate is much larger and less concentrated requiring that a candidate at least avoid intentionally alienating any portion of the voting public needlessly.

No candidate for a statewide or national office for either party can win with just his or her “base”. 20-25% doesnt cut it. My position has been along and continues to this day that if you don’t think a “RINO” will look after your concerns wait and see what a Democrat will do for you. I only have to point to November 2008 to give credence to that theory. I hope and pray that as a party we have learned not to shut out those who don’t agree 100% with our social platforms (that’s always the rub although nobody will say it out loud). Most Republicans (even RINO’s) agree on fiscal policy. However, that’s not usually the criteria used when it’s decided who is a “real, true” Republican and who isn’t. That’s when people begin to feel they aren’t welcome in the party and begin to disengage, leaving us on election night asking ourselves how the hell did this happen?

14. Disgusted said on 27 Feb 2010 at 12:12 pm:

Greg, you and your fellow arch conservatives are going to fracture the Republican party to the point where some numbnut dem walks in and there goes the seat. That’s the problem with your litmus test. For example, you all gave lukewarm support to Lopez in the 52nd and…BOOM…Rev. Torian now has the seat. A ROOKIE TOOK A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN’S SEAT!!! But you couldn’t stop ranting about Miller & Marshall, whose contest weren’t even close. Thanks a bunch. Hope your happy now!

15. Tom Andrews said on 27 Feb 2010 at 12:51 pm:

Disgusted,

I can’t speak to the level of support that Lopez received in the 52nd but it could be argued that in the 51st a rookie (my friend Rich Anderson) took away a liberal seat so it does happen. The unspoken undercurrent always seems to Roe v Wade. My utter frustration is that we always get bogged down in debating a 40 year old Supreme Court decision rather than discussing issues that affect every voter such as taxation, jobs, growth etc. It becomes the main theme in every discussion, at every level even though the candidates and offices we are debating have absolutely no ability to impact Roe in the least. While I find the decision unconstitutional and the practice it protects abhorrent, the fact is that over 28 years of Ford, Reagan, Bush 41 and Bush 43 along with periods of Rep control of both houses of Congress and a majority of Governorships nothing could be done to overturn the decision, yet we continue to believe that somehow a candidate for County BOS or the Virginia General Assembly or statehouse is going to have some magical impact and declare them a true conservative and the only one worthy of support.

We must get back to being serious about the business of running the government. Until we do, many good qualified people with ideas and vision will be forced to the sideline because they don’t meet our criteria as a Republican. They’ll continue to get shouted down and derided and called childish names. As we spend our time debating Roe, many of our other constitutional rights are being eroded. And the Democrats are more than happy to let us keep on fighting 1973 over and over again.

16. Greg L said on 27 Feb 2010 at 9:47 pm:

Lopez was a good candidate, but he wasn’t with conservatives on the immigration issue. That’s a pretty pressing problem in Woodbridge. I know some folks that would have worked really hard for a Republican candidate if he shared their opinions, but didn’t get engaged with someone they didn’t see eye-to-eye with on something like this.

If you think I could have swung that election on my own, you’re giving me a lot more credit than I deserve. Candidates have to win their own elections. Bloggers like me can help, but only so much. I tried about as much as I usually do for races on the other side of the county despite the disconnect on immigration. Feel free to look through the archives for the 52nd District, and I think you’ll see I did a lot more for Lopez than anyone would expect given some of the really fundamental differences I had with him.

My “litmus test”, as you put it, is to support candidates that share my views. You want to throw rocks at me for that, then fine. While I usually support Republicans, they still have to actually earn that support. The Republican label alone doesn’t earn it.

When there’s a Steve Chapman, a Faisal Gill, a John Chichester, an Emmit Hangar, or a Jennemarie Devolites-Davis running I’m going to let the Democrats take out our trash to the best of their ability, and then come back the next election and do what I can to make sure sure a good Republican who I can faithfully support wins that race.

17. Freedom said on 28 Feb 2010 at 7:18 am:

I thoroughly agree, Greg…and Diana West has an excellent piece on Arizona political race today’s edition of the “Washington Examiner,” for those interested:

18. Tom Andrews said on 28 Feb 2010 at 11:18 am:

I’m often reminded of some quotes from one of my personal heroes Ronald Reagan. His 11th commandment “Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican” and his version of the 80/20 rule which was he would rather have a Republican that he would probably agree with 80% of the time rather than a Democrat who he would probably agree with 20% of the time. I guess it comes down to who we decide are Republicans.

19. anon said on 28 Feb 2010 at 5:35 pm:

Looks like McDonald is going to be soft on illegals and terrorist here in Virginia.

Only about Two hundred potential terrorists were smuggled in.

I guess we really have nothing in Virginia to feel worried about.

20. Disgusted said on 28 Feb 2010 at 9:14 pm:

Greg L,

You said. “I am a conservative first, and a Republican second. That’s never going to change, no matter how many folks whine about it.”

Then get used to the dems and liberals having a majority.

Ask Jeff Frederick how being conservative first worked out. Sorry to tell you, but politics is a sordid business, and you have to associate with those you probably wouldn’t otherwise associate to get some of what you want. Reality sucks, doesn’t it.

21. citizenofmanassas said on 28 Feb 2010 at 9:17 pm:

Greg,

I usually agree with you on just about everything. However, Bob did not run as a conservative partisan. He ran as someone who was going to be inclusive and would work for what was best for the Commonwealth. So, he’s endorsing what many, including me consider to be a not so conservative incumbent Senator. Recall he also had Rudy come down to campaign. So, it should be a surprise.

It’s the same with Scott Brown taking heat from some on the right for voting yes on the jobs bill. Where in all of his campaiging did he say he was going to be a partisan?

22. Amos said on 1 Mar 2010 at 5:10 pm:

McDonnell and McCain have the exact same philosophy concerning illegals.

What helps my contributors is good. Full stop.

With regards to Brown voting for the jobs bill - if the comparison stops there, fine. However, for Brown to vote for a bill introduced by the the most corrupt assortment of America haters in our history was simply irresponsible.

15 billion dollars of our money to be passed out to SEIU, ACORN and the rest of the DNC’s step children is inexcusable.

What will it take, America? What will it take.

Unless, of course, Brown was on a different plant and was unaware of the trillions of dollars already wasted by these pieces of shiite.

23. NoVA Scout said on 1 Mar 2010 at 11:22 pm:

It’s nice to have the first time experience of agreeing with CoM (all but the first sentence).

Who is this Tom Andrews and why is he allowed to talk sense around here? Another elitist, three-digit IQ-er showing off. The whole place is going to hell in a hand basket. The idea that politics has something to do with providing competent governance to the citizens qualifies as a radical, subversive notion in this space.

Re the original post, I think support of McCain is pretty easy to understand if you have any comprehension of his record of service to the Nation, how different the world might have been had he been elected President in 2000, and when one considers the identity of his opponent in the primary.

24. John said on 2 Mar 2010 at 4:52 am:

Record of service? Are you referring to the Keating 5 by any chance?

25. NoVA Scout said on 2 Mar 2010 at 6:24 am:

I guess one has to be older to know this, but Senator McCain was a Naval Aviator and who served in combat in Viet Nam, John. It must be a generational thing.

26. ... said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:16 am:

“Ask Jeff Frederick how being conservative first worked out. ”

That worked fine for him. Seems to me that the problem was with the party insiders. It’s not as though he lost an election, is it?

27. John said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:21 am:

No generational thing here, pal. Being 54, I do remember these things well, as well as my own service in the USMC.

Nice try at snark - but you fell on your face. I think Obama is calling, you better run on home now.

Umm, Randy Cunningham was a hero too. And an aviator.

But then greed took over.

28. Dan said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:22 am:

Even though Virginia election law allows it, I had never voted in a Republican primary before 2000 (and I haven’t done it since) because I am not a Republican. But I voted in the 2000 Republican presidential primary for John McCain because, had he won the nomination, I would have voted for him in the general election.

One can only wonder if a McCain administration would have had the self confidence (I expect it would have) to listen to some of the warnings about Al Qaeda and not had such a pig headed need to disregard the warnings of their predecessors. The Bushies seemed so determined to be the anti-Clintons that they were blinded to so much.

Had the 9/11 attacks not been avoided I imagine that McCain would have made the same correct call that Bush did to invade Afghanistan and go after those responsible for attacking us. It is hard to imagine that McCain would have made the subsequent strategic blunder that Bush did of invading Iraq in the pursuit of neo-conservative fantasies of magically transforming the Middle East into an oasis of democracy and western modernity. That would have saved us over 30,000 casualties and many hundreds of billions of dollars in resources that could then have been directed at destroying those who had attacked us.

I will never forget some of the things that George H.W. Bush’s national security adviser, Brent Scowcroft, said at the time we were being led into Iraq. He spoke of the first President Bush’s security team putting ALL of the options in front of the president. He was restrained in his language (West Pointers usually are) but the implication was clear. He felt the neo-con advisers were selling their pet theory by limiting what was presented to the president. They weren’t laying all possible scenarios on the table and gaming out all the possible outcomes.

One can fault those advisers for ill serving President Bush. And they did ill serve him. But the ultimate responsibility is his. When the staff is doing a sales job for what they want the boss to do rather than giving him the full picture and complete information from which he can make a decision, it is the boss’s responsibility to send them away with instructions to do a more thorough job and report back after having done their job properly. The fault for not doing that is Bush’s alone.

McCain had sufficient command experience to indicate he would not have been so slack in such a vital area. We will never know because Bush won the nomination. But, just like a military commander, one would expect a CEO would have sent the staff back to do their job properly. And Bush was heralded as our first CEO president.

I believe Bush is a good man who believed he was making the right choices. It is just that he made poor choices. And poor methodology in arriving at those decisions does not absolve him of responsibility. He was a poor president. We’d be far better off today had we inaugurated McCain in January 2001 rather than Bush. Unfortunately we don’t get do overs on these things.

Had we elected the right man in 2000 the issue of McDonnell’s endorsement in the Arizona Senate primary would be a moot point.

29. John said on 2 Mar 2010 at 11:13 am:

I think we are getting carried away with this ill conceived hero worship of John McCain.

Would McCain have been a better president than Obama? Geez, can we find a more perfect straw man argument? Donald Duck would be a better president than Obama.

Are McCain’s best days behind him and is he a confirmed RINO?

In spades. McCain, who served this country with honor up until the Keating days, deserves honor and credit for that service.

However, he is no shining example of our party or where this country needs to go.

Watching Obama slap him down without even a whimper during the “summit” proves that he no longer has the fire in his veins.

I am quite sure that there was the day when McCain would have wiped the floor with that little Chicago punk - but those days are gone.

We need a house and a senate filled with people with the courage of Bunnings. Not wishy washy, cross the aisle at the drop of a ten dollar bill folks like McCain.

McDonnell COULD have done his homework and mentioned the real conservative, Kealer.

But he took the knee jerk choice.

Not good.

30. NoVA Scout said on 2 Mar 2010 at 11:54 pm:

While it seems clear that Senator McCain would have been a better president than Mr. Obama, we would have always been vulnerable to Mrs. Palin being very close to the presidency. The worry might have not been worth it. In any event, my point was that the Senator would have made a better president than George W. Bush, not that he would have made a better president than Mr. Obama.

As for Senator Bunning, I don’t think it takes a bit of courage to do what he did if you manifestly don’t understand what you’re doing. Crankiness should not be mistaken for fortitude.

31. John said on 3 Mar 2010 at 4:58 am:

Crankiness? How about holding the left to their propaganda?

32. NoVA Scout said on 3 Mar 2010 at 6:40 am:

Well, if the measure of being a Republican is whether you stand with Jim Bunning on his activity of the past few days, there are indeed very few of us left. My pretense of being a Republican was pretty effective until you outed me, John, what with the totally solid voting record in all Republican primaries since I’ve lived here, monetary contributions to Republican candidates (not a dime to a Democrat - ever), work on national campaigns, political appointment to office in Reagan Administration, member of RPV (although that has been pretty embarrassing at times), etc. etc. Had a lot of people fooled starting with the Goldwater campaign in 1964. You’re way too perceptive for me.

33. Dan said on 3 Mar 2010 at 7:57 am:

Well, there are a few other litmus tests for membership in the modern Republican Party NoVA Scout. Not just expressing support for Bunning’s grandstanding.

How do you feel about secession and nullification? And none of that squishy moderate RINO talk about the Civil War and those issues being settled a century and a half ago! If you don’t believe Virginia can secede from the Union or refuse to enforce federal law within its borders we know you are not a real Republican.

It is very telling that you mentioned starting off in the Goldwater campaign. Many modern day Republicans will tell you they view Barry Goldwater as a liberal. Goldwater didn’t believe in using big government to punish Americans we don’t like and don’t consider to be “real” Americans. You are probably a liberal like Goldwater and therefore are not a real Republican.

Do you have a problem with the John Birch Society being a co-sponsor of the recent CPAC convention? If you do you are not a real Republican. I know that the de facto expulsion of nutjob extremists from movement conservatism immediately preceded its greatest years of success with the American people, but if you oppose embracing the crazies you are clearly not a real Republican.

The fact that you campaigned for a notorious liberal like Barry Goldwater and worked for the ultra liberal Ronald Reagan makes you suspect as a leftist. You probably wear a Che Guevara t-shirt.

Please stop claiming to be a Republican. If you have any further questions about what it takes to be a Republican in 2010 just ask John. I’m sure he has the complete list.

Or you may want to just lay low and hope the crazy storm passes quickly.

34. NoVA Scout said on 3 Mar 2010 at 9:29 am:

Yep, Dan - I met Barry when we were members of the same Communist Party cell before the outbreak of the Great Patriotic War in 1941 when the fascists ruthlessly stabbed Uncle Joe in the back. Things had been going so well up to that point. We realized that the only hope was to go underground as philosophical libertarian, small-government conservatives until the time was more propitious for installing a dictatorship of the proletariat. Barry said he’d do some military service and then run for public office. I said I’d go around parroting the conservative line on blogs (how’s that for foresight p not many people other than Barry and I could knew diddly squat about blogs in 1941) where there were a lot of people who didn’t know conservative from liberal, Hayak from Keynes, up from down or left from right. Barry started out like a house afire but wimped out on me by not living to be 100. I still am holding up my end of the bargain. I thought I had the whole thing pretty well wired until John blew my cover at 0458. The problem now is, I can’t get in from the cold, what with the demise of the Soviet Union etc. I guess I might as well stay and keep on keeping on.

35. Dan said on 3 Mar 2010 at 11:43 am:

NoVA Scout, are you aware there is a Hayak vs Keynes Rap Anthem on You Tube? I think it is called “Fear the Boom and Bust”. Pretty funny stuff. Rapping economists. Whoda Thunkit?
    I have to admit though that when I hear Hayak I don’t think Friedrich. I think Salma. She is my favorite Mexican import. I know some of the xenophobes would scream to deport her because she is Mexican. With boobs like hers those guys must be fags if they would deport her.

36. Anonymous said on 3 Mar 2010 at 11:56 am:

Greg, really? Conservative first, Republican second are you. Steve Chapman and Faisal Gill were two of the most conservative candidates we’ve had and you torched both of them. How does that fit?

37. Dan said on 3 Mar 2010 at 12:14 pm:

Even if you buy the notion that John McCain is not a “real” conservative (whatever that is supposed to mean this week), would you really want to hang your hat on an ethically challenged bomb throwing loose cannon like Hayworth for your United States Senator? At some point considerations like character and qualifications and stability and temperment ought to be allowed into the calculation. It’s not like there is a shortage of conservative Republicans in Arizona.
    Or is lurching ever farther right on the political spectrum to be the only consideration in choosing a candidate?

38. Greg L said on 3 Mar 2010 at 2:48 pm:

McCain-Feingold unconscionably limited free political speech. McCain has been weak on Second Amendment issues, was part of the breakway “moderates” that caved in on the Prescription Drugs boondoggle that is costing us vastly more than initially projected, and then there’s his amnesty for illegal aliens move along with Ted Kennedy that should have rightly cost him the Republican nomination for President. McCain has been at the forefront of every effort by Republicans to sell out their principles and become a cheap copy of the Democratic Party. I find him to be utterly abysmal as a Senator unless closely supervised by the people, and only when his further aspirations are at stake.

J.D. Hayworth would be a vast improvement over McCain.

39. Greg L said on 3 Mar 2010 at 2:51 pm:

As for Chapman and Gill, not only do you have to be a conservative in my book, but your candidacy cannot be a sad joke. Chapman was patently unqualified at the time, and Gill’s past dealings with convicted terrorists and other terrible lapses of judgment made him unfit for office.

40. John said on 3 Mar 2010 at 3:02 pm:

NOVA - it has nothing to do with my perceptiveness - it has everything to do with the inane things you post.

41. Jerry said on 3 Mar 2010 at 9:13 pm:

I was all for John McCain until he chose Palin as his running mate. Sorry folks, but she just doesn’t cut the mustard as vpotus, much less potus. It could have been good had he been more thoughtful in his choice.

42. Anonymous said on 3 Mar 2010 at 10:01 pm:

Interesting about Palin. How does she stack up in your book Greg? A sad joke candidacy, maybe?

43. NoVA Scout said on 3 Mar 2010 at 10:46 pm:

Dan:

Silly boy. Well, of course I was talking about Salma Hayak. Is there someone else with that name?

44. Greg L said on 3 Mar 2010 at 11:22 pm:

Anonymous, I don’t really know about Palin. I don’t follow her that much. I tend focus on things a lot closer to home.

45. Kevin C said on 4 Mar 2010 at 7:28 am:

John said on 3 Mar 2010 at 4:58 am: “Nova, your slip is showing. Take your cheap shots - but lets stop the kabuki theater of pretending you are a republican.”

I’d like to see him/her stop the “kabuki theater” of pretending he’s/she’s an ADULT !!!!

His/her ONLY purpose on this blog is to IRRITATE as many people as he/she can !!!

Probably why his/her parent’s AVOID him/her and the REASON he/she has to come to this BLOG for attention !!!

A CLASSIC example of NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT !!!!

46. Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 10:25 am:

What is it that causes some people to believe that the overuse of capitalization and exclamation points somehow strengthens an argument?

Not that Kevin’s last comment contained any actual argument.

But overuse of capitalization and exclamation points doesn’t add validity to ad hominem attacks either.

47. Kevin C said on 4 Mar 2010 at 11:09 am:

Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 10:25 am: “What is it…BLAH, BLAH, BLAH !!!”

I’ll BET MONEY you drive down the road telling other people how to DRIVE their CARS, too !!!

How ’bout, YOU do what YOU want and I’LL do what I want ???

Is that o.k. with YOU, Dan ???

GOOD !!!

48. Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 11:22 am:

“How ’bout, YOU do what YOU want and I’LL do what I want ???”

Kevin, I believe that is what just occurred.

You did what you wanted. You made an ad hominem attack on NoVA Scout using lots of capitalization and lots of exclamation points.

I did what I wanted. I asked why people like you seem to think using lots of capitalization and exclamation points adds weight to their words.

See, that is how a public forum works. You get to say what you want. And I get to say what I want. Isn’t that great?

Unless, of course, we annoy the moderator. Then he may decide that he is not obligated to provide us with a forum to say what we want.

49. Kevin C said on 4 Mar 2010 at 12:34 pm:

Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 11:22 am: “…that is how a public forum works. You get to say what you want.”

Then how ’bout you stop trying to tell me HOW to say what I have to say ???

50. Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 12:56 pm:

I wouldn’t presume to tell you how to say what you want to say. And I didn’t.

I merely wondered what it was that causes some to believe that a point is strengthened by typing it in capital letters and following it with multiple exclamation points.

I also find it ironic that all the typing in caps and excessive punctuation should be employed in a post questioning whether someone else was an adult. Since this manner of expression is usually employed by children. Seldom by adults.

51. Kevin C said on 4 Mar 2010 at 6:34 pm:

Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 12:56 pm: “Since this manner of expression is usually employed by children. Seldom by adults.”

And this observation is based on what, your time in the CORNER ???

52. Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 10:24 pm:

No, Keven. By observing adults communicating with one another. They seldom feel the need to type in all caps or use exclamation points in laughable quantities as a substitute for orderly thought or constructing a cogent argument.

Hence my comment about the irony of you communicating in such a childish fashion while questioning if someone else is an adult.

53. Kevin C said on 5 Mar 2010 at 6:49 am:

Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 10:24 pm: “No, Keven.”

Speaking of “orderly thought,” in YOUR world, do adults know how to SPELL ????

*** *** *** ***

Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 10:24 pm: “They seldom feel the need to type in all caps…”

YOU said it, NOT me !!!

The NEED arises when “communicating” with HALF-WITS !!!!

You know, LIBERALS !!!!

54. NoVA Scout said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:38 am:

Here I thought Kevin just had a sticky keyboard. It never occurred to me that it might be intentional.

Oh well, my Montessori School class is about to start. I need to pay attention. They held me back last year. First time that had ever happened in Montessori.

55. Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 10:39 am:

Kevin, in my world people of all ages do make typographical errors from time to time. I hope that isn’t too difficult a concept for someone of your limited intellectual abilities to comprehend. I am glad the typo brought you such joy. The probability exists that I, and others, will make such errors in the future. It warms my heart to know those events will bring you such happiness.

I’m not sure I understand the connection you make between having a conservative political philosophy and overusing capitalization and punctuation. For instance, I have read several of William F. Buckley’s books and many of his essays and I don’t recall him using these devices to better express himself. He was always able to communicate with great precision without typing like an eight year old.

56. Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 10:46 am:

NoVA Scout, it is no shame to be held back at Montessori. We all know how rigid and structured those schools are. Do they still regularly beat the students?

57. Kevin C said on 5 Mar 2010 at 1:16 pm:

The HAPPY couple:

NoVA Scout said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:38 am: “Oh well, my Montessori School class is about to start. I need to pay attention. They held me back last year.”

Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 10:46 am: “NoVA Scout, it is no shame to be held back at Montessori.”

Dan said on 2 Mar 2010 at 8:22 am: “NoVA Scout, your comment about how different the world might have been if McCain had been elected in 2000 really strikes a chord with me.”

Dan said on 4 Mar 2010 at 11:22 am: “You made an ad hominem attack on NoVA Scout…”

Now I understand why you’re so DEFENSIVE toward NoVA Scout !!

Must be LOVE ??!!??!!

You think YOU TWO could stop GUSHING over each other ???

There MUST be a blog out there somewhere for GAY LIBERALS ????

Dan: “Oh NoVA Scout, you REALLY strike a chord with me (heart POUNDING, eyes all a’TWITTER) !!!

NoVA Scout: “Oh Dan, YOU’RE my HERO !!!”

58. Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:44 pm:

Kevin, do you have any idea how ridiculous you are making yourself appear? Seriously. When you sober up read your last comment. It sounds like it was written by a ten year old.

Do yourself a favor. Find an adult you trust. Hell, just grab the first adult walking by. Ask them to read all the comments on this thread. Then ask them to guess how old they think the commenter named Kevin C is.

That might bring you into contact with reality.

At least have a friend read your comments before you hit the send button. And if they tell you not to hit the send button, listen to them. It will save you from humiliating yourself so much in the future.

59. Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:48 pm:

Oh. And ask that trusted friend about the childish overuse of capitalization and punctuation too. They may enlighten you on that score as well.

60. NoVA Scout said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:52 pm:

Kevin does that so children like me can understand.

61. Kevin C said on 6 Mar 2010 at 9:28 am:

Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:44 pm: “When you sober up read your last comment.”

BELIEVE me Dan, having a WHACKED OUT LIBERAL NUT JOB like YOU, with a MENTAL DISORDER, thinking I’m drunk doesn’t bother me a single, solitary bit because I know for a FACT that YOU, as proven with your OWN words… (Dan said on 5 Mar 2010 at 9:48 pm: “If they have a drill bit of sufficient strength to get through that thick skull of yours and reach what passes for a brain.”)…are TOTALLY INSANE !!!

You need to have a DOCTOR look at YOUR comments !!!!

Seriously, do YOU think those are the thoughts of a SANE person ???

If you DO, then you’ll be the only on in the ASYLUM running around saying, (as you point your crooked little finger at your fellow inmates) “I’m not the one who’s CRAZY, THEY are !!!”

I HONESTLY thought that was YOU at Pentagon Station the other day, committing SUICIDE by COP !!!

TRUST me, if you DON’T get help, it WILL be !!!!

BTW, I HOPE my CAPITALIZATION and PUNCTUATION is driving you even MORE nuts, if THAT’S at all possible, it REALLY makes my day !!!!

Seriously, GET HELP !!!!!

You NEED it !!!

62. Dan said on 6 Mar 2010 at 4:16 pm:

Wow, Kevin. You seem to have become completely unhinged.

Are you always this easy?

You must be an only child to not have developed any thickness to your skin whatsoever.

You might also want to consider some anger management classes.

At least take a deep breath before you hyperventilate.

63. Kevin C said on 6 Mar 2010 at 6:07 pm:

Dan said on 6 Mar 2010 at 4:16 pm: “It takes virtually nothing to get under your skin and set you off on an endless series of rants.”

Once again, the MINDLESS MORON pats himself on the back for NOTHING !!!

Hey HALF-WIT, you wanna see a MIND NUMBING series of ENDLESS DRIVEL ???

Take a look at YOURSELF (one of the symptoms of your MENTAL DISORDER is the FACT that you only FIND FAULT with what everyone else does and are TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS to what YOU do) on the “Are You Kidding Me?” thread !!!

FIVE of the FIRST NINE posts are you going ON and ON and ON and ON and ON and ON about WHO knows WHAT !!!

Guess what Dan, nobody CARES what you have to say !!!!

You’re a LEFT WING LIBERAL NUT JOB with a MENTAL DISORDER whose ONLY PURPOSE on this blog is to DISRUPT the DISCUSSION !!!!!!

As far as anger management goes, once again, TAKE a GOOD look at YOURSELF !!!

YOU’RE the ONLY ONE who is so TOTALLY FREAKED OUT about my “caps and punctuation” you can’t stop THINKING about it (once again, I do it now just to DRIVE you CRAZY !!!)!!!

Well, except for your little BOYfriend, BOY Scout !!!

Like I said, if YOU don’t get help from a doctor VERY soon, you two may be the next John Mohammed and Lee Boyd Malvo !!!!

Now WHY don’t you take your little BOY Scout and run off to join NAMBLA where you can spend LOTS of time with the REST of your Liberal FREAKS, flushing BABIES down TOILETS ???

*** *** *** *** ***

FIRST TWO posts from the “Are You Kidding Me?” thread:

Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 12:37 pm:

I saw the post at Mason Conservative. I made the following comment over there:

“When asked for comment on the allegation made by Mason Conservative that the Herrity campaign was tone deaf, a spokesperson for the Fimian campaign said, “HUH?”

If ever a campaign had no business accusing anyone else of being tone deaf it is the Fimian campaign.

Geez! You are stretching just a bit don’t you think? Maybe you should stick with the Tom Davis as puppet master stuff. Or charging that the Herrity campaign was caught flat footed and unprepared because they had the good sense not to respond to the bizarre behavior of the Fimian campaign on the day of Herrity’s announcement.

Don’t get me wrong. I am rooting for you. As a Democrat I would like to see Fimian get the nomination. That’s why it is so painful to see such a stream of silliness coming from Fimian supporters.”

Dan said on 25 Feb 2010 at 12:53 pm:

I realize Fimian fans will completely disagree with me about who will be the stronger candidate in the general election. They may be correct and I may be wrong about that. What is hard for any objective observer to ignore is the stumble bum quality of the 2010 Fimian crew. If he doesn’t start getting better advice and running a better campaign he won’t have to worry about decorating a Congressional office any time soon.

Getting back to the point of the post. If holding a kickoff event at the Springfield Country Club is such an egregious error (and I certainly don’t think it is), then where were the posts about the recent meeting of the RNC in Hawaii? They spent pretty lavishly on that one. Oh, wait! Can’t criticize the home team.

But if an opponent is involved then we must pretend every molehill is a mountain. And it is a stretch to even see a molehill in Herrity’s choice of a venue for his kickoff.

If you guys want Fimian to be your nominee you might spend more time giving people an affirmative reason to vote for him and less time on this ridiculous stuff. Much more of it and you run a serious risk of making Fimian look ridiculous. And that wouldn’t be fair to him.

Although it is his campaign and his messaging. Maybe he should get hold of it or risk showing himself to be lacking the ability that the job requires.

*** *** *** *** ***

Talk about MIND NUMBING DRIVEL in the form of ENDLESS RANTING and RAVING !!!!

You don’t even give anyone a chance to RESPOND, you RESPOND to YOURSELF !!!!!

64. Dan said on 6 Mar 2010 at 8:54 pm:

Kevin, I think you just proved my point in spades.

Not only are you responding like a blithering idiot again on this thread, but now you are mining old threads for things you can foam at the mouth over.

You seem to be obsessed.

Here’s a friendly tip. If you do finally get a date with a girl, don’t talk politics. Not if you want a second date anyway.

65. Kevin C said on 6 Mar 2010 at 9:53 pm:

Dan said on 6 Mar 2010 at 8:54 pm: “Kevin, I think…”

WRONG !!!!!

You’ve already PROVEN, with your OWN words, you’re no longer CAPABLE of thinking !!!

You couldn’t even handle CORRECTLY spelling my FIVE LETTER
    name !!!

Your LIFE is a TYPO !!!!

You’ve been reduced to MORONIC PSYCHO-BABBLE !!!!!

Case in point:

Dan said on 6 Mar 2010 at 8:54 pm: “Perhaps you should leave your “cyber lair” in your parents’ basement and go outside and breath some fresh air. There is a whole world out there. You could try a completely new experience like dating a girl. I’m sure there are plenty of nice girls at the middle school you attend who would go out with you.”

Looks like you FINALLY took my advice and are now looking at YOURSELF in the mirror, Dan !!!

GOOD boy !!!

For the record, what you’re experiencing is just another symptom of your Left Wing Liberal NUT BAG MENTAL DISORDER !!!

Trying to ascribe YOUR many failures, in life, to ME !!!

What’s the matter ???

Having trouble with your NAMBLA application ????

Try not to DROOL all over your KEYBOARD little guy !!!!

66. NoVA Scout said on 13 Mar 2010 at 9:46 am:

Wow.

This is why we need to be careful about cutting social services, even in times of great budgetary stress.

67. emjem24 said on 18 Mar 2010 at 2:42 am:

Quote: We have started to make a recovery this last year,but we have to continue, Part of that is acceting the other conservatives as human beings. Other wise you may as well go find another home.

Hmmm… just caught this blog, and, as a former military spouse who resided in the Hampton Roads areas up until about 6 months ago (and I will never come back until the personal property tax is HISTORY), I thought I’d chime in. Greg, what you’re doing is a great act of civic involvement and I hope that many more civic bloggers do the same thing where I currently live (Colorado Springs, CO).

Now to this doozy of a comment: as a current, absentee voter in the hellish state of NY, I respectfully disagree. I have no kind regards for the Whitmans or McShames of the world. Your attitude is why I left the Republican party. I’m not just sick of people who say they’re “conservative,” or “fiscally conservative” (yeah, you Scott Brown) but I’m sick of the Republicans who use such a claim to convince deluded Republicans that they won’t be more of the same or they can stave off socialism in this country.

Nope, this attitude and the failure that is John McShame is why I became an independent. I’m tired of the deal-making, the lying, the perpetual office-holding when they should have long since retired (yeah you McShame). As you can see, I have no kind regards for him (and I held my nose and voted for him) or people who put up with him because he’s a “conservative” when really he’s a RINO better at crossing the aisle to make deals with Dems (shamnesty) than sticking up for this country, the Constitution (when he feels like it), or what’s right.

I’m a conservative first and the Republicans will have to earn my vote the hard way by putting honest brokers or representation up for consideration. No more Dem/Socialist/Statist lite. I know people are human, but I also know when I’ve been had and it’s way past time to boot McShame out of office. My God, he’s ancient, and is gathering dust when this country needs people who WILL work to fight Obummer.

So, I’m sorry but I’m not playing. While I like McDonnell, it’s deplorable that he’s campaigning for this idiot. McCain ran a half-a$$ed campaign that many will never forgive him for while failing to fight for the presidency or even say no to the bailout. For McDonnell to do this shows him to be more of a politician and less of a leader. Then again, McDonnell accepted McShame’s cache when he ran for governor.

Face it, VA is much like NY…. good ole boy politicians of both parties running things into the ground and playing with other people’s money. The Dems know how to use illegals and minorities of both states so well that neither population gives a hoot as long as they get theirs. VA is no longer the conservative bastion it once was and I should know, I’m from a hellhole like NY that is submerged in corruption right now.

I want people of character, integrity, and honor to stand up for this country (maybe some veterans running to increase retired military member representation would be a start) and not the sort like McCain who have become such a part of Washington that we must be sympathetic to him and hear him out. His recent electoral result proves what a charlatan, illegal appeaser, dirty dealer of a RINO he actually is. Please, if you call yourself a conservative it’s time to stop defending this guy.

He’s not worth it. It’s time to move on. Hayworth is no dream either but I’ll take him over McCain. Oh, and I’ve found my new home outside the Republican fold as an independent. And I’m okay with it.

68. emjem24 said on 18 Mar 2010 at 2:45 am:

self-edit: I’m a current military spouse… I’m thinking about the future when my husband retires from the military and I no longer will be. That will be a sweet day.

Proofing is my friend it really is..

69. emjem24 said on 18 Mar 2010 at 3:11 am:

Quote: Then get used to the dems and liberals having a majority.

Already used to it. Don’t like it but there it is. And don’t look now, but with the migration patterns of other states on the East Coast… Virginia is changing and not for the better. Sad to say, VA is becoming Kalifornia where anything goes. I saw it in the minority, white people bad-black people good cesspool that is Hampton Roads. Take a trip down to that part of the state and see how bad racial driven politics has become there. Being in the minority was a part of my daily life as not only a white person, but having a black kid (who I caught red-handed) tearing down my McCain sign in my front yard on which he was trespassing was enough to tell me how screwed up VA has become.

Quote: A Conservative Party will never have power and money like the Republicans. The departure of the conservatives only fragments the Republican base. The moderates (or independents), whether you like it or not, are the swing vote in Virginia. They are not going to run to the extreme right, but they have turned to the Republicans when they feel things are too liberal, like in 2001. But they aren’t buying the conservative line. The ONLY chance conservatives have is to work within the Republican Party.

Don’t look now but it’s already happening. I USED to be a Republican. My NY voter card may still have my Republican affiliation on it but I’ve long since left the party because of the RINO shenanigans that control it. The Republicans and the Dems are the same. They both want to either a) take our rights away b) spend until there’s no tomorrow c) let corruption reign or d) all of the above. Sometimes, no matter how well-intentioned, directing one’s energies at a certain group of voters at the peril of those whose votes you cannot take for granted (conservatives) will cost you. And it cost McCain big. I know of a couple people who stayed home (I didn’t support that choice) because McCain was simply TOO unpalatable. It was basically Dem Lite vs. full blown Socialist/Statist.

I love how you say that I simply cannot work with anybody else but the Repubs who’ve caved on all sorts of issues, great and small. It never ceases to amaze how people blame conservatives for what is really ailing the Repubs— their lack of direction, incompetence, communication, and goals. Then again, the Dems have bungled even worse. Two parties that really have no clue. Yay for all of us !!! I can see where Glenn Beck has so little respect for the two political parties. They play games, point accusing fingers at one another, and expect their collective bases to pick up the pieces.

Nope, this conservative, former Republican turned independent won’t play. I won’t be my mother or father who hail themselves as Reagan conservatives, while decrying the greedy corporations and saying that social security and our entitlement, welfare system are just awesome. And they’re died in the wool Republicans. You won’t lose those people because, while they’re hard workin’ people, my parents (in NY) don’t look beneath all the layers of BS. People like me have left because we’re tired of the BS.

So, if the Repubs go the way of the Whigs don’t blame the conservatives. People too caught up in their greed, hubris, ego, and complacency can’t be trusted and neither can their party infrastructure. Let something better develop that competes with BOTH of the political parties maybe then we’ll actually have something to preserve, protect, and defend.