Dems: Rush Is Gonna Eat Your Kids!

By Greg L | 28 February 2010 | Fairfax County, Virginia House | 22 Comments

Can you believe this crap?  Do Democrats really think that they’re going to win elections by saying that Rush Limbaugh is going to eat their children?  I’d characterize this over-the-top hyperbole as utter desperation, if only I could make any sense out of it.  Seeing that these rantings are typically reserved for the mentally disturbed, it’s difficult to determine whether the Filler-Corn campaign is collectively nuts or just so focused on Rush Limbaugh that they’ve spent way too much time banging their heads into walls.

Liberalism is a mental disorder, folks.  Remember you saw the evidence here.

Kerry Bolognese should do pretty darned good if this is what Democrats are resorting to.

1. Tasty said on 28 Feb 2010 at 7:07 am:

In college, I had a friend named Filler-Barley. He had a nasty habit of lashing out with food hyberbole also. There was nothing we could do to help.

2. anon said on 28 Feb 2010 at 8:08 am:

I doubt Rush would really eat kids but would it be unreasonable to fear Randi Rhodes running over kids while DUI?

3. citizenofmanassas said on 28 Feb 2010 at 11:13 am:

I guess the Dems really are in trouble, if they think attacking radio show hosts is their best strategy to win elections. The last time I checked, Rush is not able to vote in either the Virginia General Assembly or in Congress.

4. anon said on 28 Feb 2010 at 12:58 pm:

I thought the ad was saying the kids are going to be packed in like sardines. Is there more to the ad that implies eating that I’m missing?

5. Credo said on 28 Feb 2010 at 2:21 pm:

Rush might be eligible to run for the 37th State Senate district. It’s not like you have to live there.

6. Dan said on 28 Feb 2010 at 2:59 pm:

Has there been any polling of this race? I have seen none. And not too many informed predictions about it.

We’ll find out in a couple days. Low turnout specials are damned hard to get a handle on.

Have you seen the fat man recently? It wouldn’t shock me to see Rush lumbering into a room hollering “I’m gonna eat your baby!” a la Fat Bastard. He has ballooned up to that size again.

And if he is still on drugs (which wouldn’t be a stretch to believe) he might get confused and eat a small child. Better to be safe than sorry. Don’t leave any small children unattended around Rush.

Safety first! Regardless of your choice in the 41st.

7. Gnarly said on 28 Feb 2010 at 3:16 pm:

Who needs a poll? You can tell by the mail piece that the Dems are down by a few points. Why else would you throw this crap out there in such desperation?

8. benton said on 28 Feb 2010 at 4:32 pm:

I think he’d rather pop a few pills.

9. Yo Dan said on 28 Feb 2010 at 5:15 pm:

Didn’t Hillary ask us to end the politics of personal destruction? It must just be too tempting for you to belittle and namecall when you can’t win an honest debate.

10. Dan said on 28 Feb 2010 at 5:56 pm:

Yo Dan,

Politics of personal destruction? Where in my comment did I say anything, positive or negative, about any politician?

Or are you saying that Rush Limbaugh is a Republican leader? Because you would be at odds with the elected leaders of the Republican Party who say he is not. And those elected Republican leaders are absolutely correct. He is the leader of nothing.

You may take exception to the comment about Rush still being on drugs, but many think he shows signs of having fallen off the wagon. I don’t wish ill on anyone, including Rush, who is a recovering drug addict. I hope he has not gone back to his old ways. But his hypocrisy on the subject is undeniable.

If we take him at his own word, he should be in a jail cell. That is what he has advocated for on his own radio show for others whose circumstances and actions directly parallel his own.

11. Dan said on 28 Feb 2010 at 6:04 pm:

Gnarly, I don’t think you can tell anything about the race based on this or any other mailer. This mailer is pretty common fare for both parties. Such mailers appeal to base voters in either party by associating the opposition candidate with one of the boogie men.

If we had reliable polling I don’t know that we could draw meaningful conclusions from that anyway. Low turnout special elections are notoriously hard to predict because you never know who will show up.

That’s why you don’t see any serious people making predictions about this one.

12. Yo Dan said on 28 Feb 2010 at 6:41 pm:

Sir, I take exception to much of what you have said. You appear entirely unable to recognize your own pettiness. I will, therefore, make no further attempt to highlight the adolescent nature of your banter. Good luck with that.

13. BattleCat said on 28 Feb 2010 at 7:57 pm:

It’s going to be fun watching the Democrats try to win this year while following their leaders right off a political cliff. Liberalism is absolutely a mental disorder, cause by the consumption of one’s own feces.

14. Gnarly said on 28 Feb 2010 at 8:00 pm:

I disagree Dan. You don’t go this far over the line if you are winning. Any campaign this close to an election (special, primary or general) has a good idea whether they’re winning or losing. This campaign is obviously losing AT THIS POINT. I agree, it’s red meat for the base and I guess we’ll find out real soon if it works.

15. Dan said on 28 Feb 2010 at 8:26 pm:

Gnarly, I don’t see this as far over the line. I don’t find it to be particularly effective. I think it is kind of dumb. But it doesn’t attack her opponent in any vicious way. It merely tries to associate him with Rush Limbaugh. I agree it is an insult to be compared to or associated with Rush Limbaugh. Not because of his political views. Because he is a blowhard nitwit with an unlistenable show.

You are welcome to regard it as a sign of desperation. I just don’t see it. One could just as easily see desperation in the attempt to make a big deal out of a mailer that appears to be pretty insignificant.

This has been a rather ho hum campaign. Hardly a rough one. And if this mailer seems ugly to you then you must never have seen an ugly campaign.

I would suggest looking back at the campaign then Governor George W. Bush ran against John McCain in the 2000 South Carolina Republican primary if you want a good example of a truly ugly campaign. That one would have made Lee Atwater blush.

Or follow this year’s campaign for the Republican Senate nomination in Florida. The next six months down there promise to get vicious. Then I think you will see this mailer is nothing at all.

16. local gop said on 28 Feb 2010 at 10:28 pm:

gnarly,
    the marsden pulled a similar tactic in the 72 hour gotv stage. they put palin on a door hanger and said basically the same thing, stop palin from taking over the GA. Who won that one?

17. Gnarly said on 28 Feb 2010 at 10:46 pm:

I didn’t mean “over the line” as in ugly or nasty…I meant just as Greg’s post pointed out…desperation…and silly desperation at that.

18. Yo Dan said on 1 Mar 2010 at 5:02 am:

Desperation indeed.

19. Loudoun Insider said on 1 Mar 2010 at 9:52 am:

Ridiculous!!!

20. Cynic said on 1 Mar 2010 at 12:14 pm:

Dan said -

“Not because of his political views. Because he is a blowhard nitwit with an unlistenable show.”

A not to listen to show - Check the facts. To you he may be “unlistenable”, but Rush is the most listened to Radio Talk Show. Number two is Sean Hannity, then third is - Liberalism is a mental disorder - Savage.

Those are the facts; not what we wish or listen to as individuals.
    ……………………………………………………….
    TALKER MAGAZINE - from Arbitron’s data.

The Rush Limbaugh Show – 20+ million
    The Sean Hannity Show – 16+ million
    The Savage Nation – 9+ million

Latest data may show that Beck moved to third place.

21. Ron said on 1 Mar 2010 at 4:10 pm:

Funny tactic for a candidate who ducked debates (even though Kerry Bolognese and five others have spoken or debated at Eileen’s own congregation).

22. Bob said on 4 Mar 2010 at 8:04 pm:

This is supposed to symbolize the crowded classrooms that will be a result of all of the republican backed cuts to education, not Rush eating children.

Larger classrooms = sayonara to education.