Municipalities to Hike Taxes

By Greg L | 20 March 2010 | Manassas Park, Manassas City, Prince William County | 34 Comments

Manassas City is advertising a tax rate of $1.155, Prince William County is advertising $1.236, and Manassas Park’s advertised rate is $1.27.  Then there are fire levies and all sorts of other charges on top of the tax rate to make matters worse.  Of course these municipalities could adopt a tax rate lower than the advertised rate, but with all sorts of folks coming out of the woodwork to demonstrate that there’s no end to the good things you can do with other people’s money, it’s not that likely the adopted rates will vary from these ceilings a whole lot.

Taxpayers are looking at getting royally screwed this year.

I don’t have any more money to give to government.  In fact, I have less this year, and I’m not the only one in this situation.  In past years declining assessments hid the impact of increasing tax rates on our tax levies, but that’s ending pretty quickly.  Now tax bills in real terms are likely to increase.  Yet there’s an endless stream of groups out there dependent on the government dole trying to pressure local elected officials into raising our taxes, no matter what impact that has on families in this community.

For me the answer is simple.  Any local elected official that votes to raise my taxes this year is my enemy.  A personal enemy.  Not many folks out there have such power to impact my family like these folks do, and every dollar they steal from me hurts like hell these days. The next time some elected official uses their personal ‘discretionary’ slush fund to donate money to a non-government entity with the dollars they’ve taken from me, I’m going to be seething.  When the school board cuts another seven figure check to Pearson to pay for this “Math Investigations” curriculum baloney, I’m going to be pissed.  When the county collects a “gypsy moth levy” on me and then either wastes or even fails to spend the money on a gypsy moth control program, I’ll be livid.  Our food budget is balanced by spending time on coupons.com and buying staple food in economy-sized bags, leaving me little patience for the kind of government excess that seems so annoyingly common, even when the expenditures may seem relatively small in government terms.

That might be your yardstick in the next elections as well.  Is your local government stealing more of your smaller paycheck?  Are elected officials more concerned about the opinion of some group of folks that depend on an increasing stream of your taxpayer dollars, or are they more concerned about what you’re facing in this economy?  Maybe it’s time you got personal as well.

1. ... said on 21 Mar 2010 at 1:41 am:

“Manassas Park’s advertised rate is $1.27″

I wish.

That was back when a townhouse in this city still sold for $300k.

2. Al said on 21 Mar 2010 at 6:58 am:

“The next time some elected official uses their personal ‘discretionary’ slush fund to donate money to a non-government entity with the dollars they’ve taken from me, I’m going to be seething.”

I really hate those slush funds! When I see a supervisor give “my money” to a private group of his or her choice, it makes my blood boil. Those should have been eliminated a long time ago.

I’m probably a bit less Conservative than you (along with most of the rest of the planet-that’s a complement of sorts) on some of the other stuff in the budget; however, I certainly agree on the ‘discretionary’ slush fund issue! I absolutely support taking “my money” out of the pockets of our Supervisors to dispense like “hams off the back of a truck at Christmas (’pork’) wherever they wish!

For the record, this is my first post on BVBL.

3. enough said on 21 Mar 2010 at 7:04 am:

Just think how many red light cameras and illegal alien shelters, bunkhouses and coffee bars all that loot will buy!

4. Disgusted said on 21 Mar 2010 at 7:32 am:

Greg, I hear ya! Problem is, we keep electing these clowns. So what’s Corey Stewart doing about all this?

Question: What will it cost PWC to stay at the FY2010 levels of spending for fire, police, school, roadwork, parks, etc? Does the current and future 2 year budgets from the General Assemble support those levels? Does the revenue stream? If not, how short are we, in percentage? Then why not CUT EVERYTHING EQUALLY ACROSS THE BOARD BY THAT PERCENTAGE? Salaries, services, cut back rec center hours, etc.

Answer: It’s too easy and makes too much sense. Then the BOS can’t hide behind the curtain with the Wizard of Oz and we realize it ain’t that hard to balance the county’s checkbook; we do it everyday! Time for Stewart to man up and be a conservative instead of talk like one.

5. MPresident said on 21 Mar 2010 at 7:33 am:

mp fate is currently $1.65

6. Laurie-Anne Manel said on 21 Mar 2010 at 9:37 am:

Well, maybe the Tea Party needs to get busy on a local level and toss out ALL incumbents. The problem is, how many challengers are there, and are they willing to run on a platform of true fiscal conservatism? And are taxpayers really willing to make the compromises that come with less government? I’m not sure.

7. Kevin C said on 21 Mar 2010 at 9:59 am:

Greg L: “When the county collects a “gypsy moth levy” on me and then either wastes or even fails to spend the money on a gypsy moth control program, I’ll be livid.”

How ’bout the 70 DOLLAR “Landfill fee ?”

If $17.00 of that fee (last time I checked) is SUPPOSED to go toward recycling yard waste, WHY then does my yard waste go into the GARBAGE along with all the yard waste of people who use a trash service in PWC ???

TRUTH is, that $17.00 REALLY goes toward subsidizing the Balls Ford Compost Facility which serves as nothing more than a DUMPING GROUND for FAIRFAX County yard waste !!!

I’ve seen with my OWN eyes, and have VIDEO of, 100+ Fairfax County tractor trailers dumping yard waste at Balls Ford Road on (any given) Thanksgiving Day, in addition to the daily runs from Fairfax !!!

It’s been going on since 1994 !!!

When the Landfill Fee was imposed, it was SUPPOSED to stop ALL out of county trash, THAT was the agreement under which it was “passed !!!”

If that’s the case, WHY does PWC continue to accept trash from Fairfax County ???

The FACT of the matter is:
    Greg L: “Taxpayers are looking at getting royally screwed this year.”

THIS year and EVERY year !!!!!

Welcome to Prince William County !!!

The sign should read: “Please BEND OVER when entering !!!!”

8. Just the Facts said on 21 Mar 2010 at 12:46 pm:

Don’t forget the Arts Grants Panel that gave Mark Wolfe $55,000 last year mostly to subsidize his private dance school. That’s really something we need to spend scarce public funds on. Oh, by the way, did I mention that Mark Wolfe is Chair of the Arts Council and decides directly with the Arts Liaison Kathy Bentz how to allocate what was nearly $200,000 last year of taxpayer money through the Arts Grants Panel? Independent, unbiased process with no conflicts of interest that is (not)! They even provided grants to groups that are not 501c(3) organizations and thus not eligible to receive County funding. If you’ve got the right friends you can go far in Prince William County. Corey and Peacor are both fully aware of this scam and yet it’s back in the budget proposal again this year. Have a look at www.artsintegrity.org.

9. park'd said on 21 Mar 2010 at 2:05 pm:

Greg what are you talking about? MP rate has been 1.65% for a year now…

My guess is that they go to 1.75+% this year keeping us firmly in first place for highest in the state. Yay us! Not.

10. Greg L said on 21 Mar 2010 at 2:58 pm:

That’s what the News & Messenger reported, but now that you mention it, it does seem a lot lower than I thought it was. Any authoritative reference for this that might not have been subject to the N&M’s stratospheric reputation for journalistic accuracy?

11. Greg L said on 21 Mar 2010 at 3:17 pm:

I checked, and the only other report was that at a recent meeting of the Governing Board they were trying to keep the tax rate at “only” $1.65 as it was last year by laying off 13 more city employees. There is NOTHING on the MP website about the advertised tax rate for this coming year, and local media hasn’t covered the goings on in the Park in any depth, as usual.

It’s almost as if the advertised tax rate is some sort of secret. I wonder if you have to file a FOIA request in order to get the minutes of the last meeting or some authoritative statement on proposed tax rates in Manassas Park.

Yo know, MP used to run a $1M surplus every year and boasted one of the lowest tax rates in the area. Now their rate is 50% higher than surrounding jurisdictions and the city is constantly dealing with debt problems and gutting staff levels.

But they sure do have some nice shiny new buildings, with all the amenities.

12. Big Dog said on 21 Mar 2010 at 4:53 pm:

According to a document on the City of Manassas Park website,
    dated 2-1-2010 “FY 2010-11 Real Estate Taxes and Assessments”,
    the FY 2009-10 tax rate is $1.65. The “council will set the
    2010-11 rate at a meeting sometime in April or May”.

- MP switched from a Calendar Year (CY) to a
    Fiscal Year (FY) in 2009.

- CY 2007 - $1.14, CY 2008 - $1.24.

13. Not apathetic anymore said on 21 Mar 2010 at 8:43 pm:

The city of Manassas is following MP footsteps of fiscal irresponsibility. The amount of taxes I’ve paid has more than doubled in the last 8 years with no noticable increase in services,( at least to me, nor do I want any )
    The sewer bill is ridiculous,trash bill doubled,extra fees on the electric and a warning of price increases in the near future.
    The fire levy of over 14 cents which is over $300 on the average sfh (225k) and all they want is more money for a new firehouse and a new firetruck ( all the old truck needs is a competent shop to repair correctly the first time).
    The schools get money blindly, while the scores drop.
    The retirement for the employees is not even remotely available in similar jobs in the private sector but I get to fund it
    $1.50 is a ridiculous rate and I don’t care what the costs are in fairfax
    I have to live on a budget and my employer isn’t going double my salary.(it would be nice)
    Nobody goes to the meetings,no one runs against them.
    I’ve wished for an organizer like Greg with his skills (HSM,2000 members,people listen)to gather and inspire people to attend the meetings and let the Parrish clan know we have had enough of the raiding of our wallets.

14. anklenipper said on 21 Mar 2010 at 8:54 pm:

The reason they can pull off having this high a rate is because most MP supposedly single family homes (around my area anyway) have 10 incomes to pitch in, it makes taxes a non issue. It really sucks though when you are a actual single family.

I’m not implying anything, nope…

15. Loudoun Insider said on 21 Mar 2010 at 9:48 pm:

Poor Manassass Park residents! And I thought Loudoun County was bad!

16. sahdman said on 22 Mar 2010 at 5:37 am:

Greg L. said
    “But they sure do have some nice shiny new buildings, with all the amenities.”

“Amenities”, did they finally finish the parking lot?

17. sahdman said on 22 Mar 2010 at 5:39 am:

thats the rec center parking lot

18. Celeste R. said on 22 Mar 2010 at 10:02 am:

Everything added to the budget costs you more, so stop advocating for opera centers at GMU, museums that attract only a few old ladies and civil war stuff that no one cares about - consider a few letters to the editors or speaking at citizen time on these issues now!

19. Kevin C said on 22 Mar 2010 at 3:05 pm:

Celeste R. said on 22 Mar 2010 at 10:02 am: “…consider…speaking at citizen time on these issues now!”

That’d be great if it had any affect on decisions that have already been MADE !!!

Trust me, you can TALK till you’re BLUE in the FACE and it won’t change the minds of these politicians who, as I have said before, are only “there” to serve their own GIANT egos !!!

Once their minds are made up, NOTHING you say will change them !!!

I hate to sound discouraging but, “Citizens Time” is nothing more than a Horse and Pony Show put on to make you THINK you have some kind of influence over decisions that, as I said earlier, have ALREADY been made (most of the time, BEHIND CLOSED DOORS) !!!

I said, “Trust me” because I’ve seen it with my own eyes and, before I WOKE UP to what was going on, was part of it !!!

20. Nate said on 22 Mar 2010 at 7:05 pm:

I live in MP in a SFH with 2 people total living in the house. My water sewer bill is always 70-130$. It seems high to me. I am worried about the rumor of the tax rate. Could it really be over 1.7% next year? I have not children and have never been to anything other than city hall. Why does a town of a few thousand need all of this crap. Why is a city anyway?

21. ... said on 22 Mar 2010 at 10:36 pm:

Like the human body sacrifices it’s muscle to protect the brain when famished, MP will sacrifice the taxpayers to protect City Hall.

22. Big Dog said on 23 Mar 2010 at 6:39 am:

FYI - Utility cost are heavily impacted by forces beyond the
    control of local government.

- Sewer fees in Manassas and MP are driven by their mandated
    membership in the Upper Qccoquan Service Authority
    and UOSA’s expensive state of the art waste water treatment plant.
    PWC has slightly lower fees since they can balance higher
    UOSA cost with less expensive facilities at the other end of the
    county.

- Electricity cost are going up all over the country. Manassas
    has lower rates because it has its own distribution system
    and covers a more compact area than PWC. But all the
    local folks (NOVEC or Manassas) contract to purchase
    their electricity from large wholesalers like VEPCO.

- Water is less costly in Manassas because it owns a lake
    and water treatment plant, but, once again, rigorous state
    and federal mandates are a cost driver.

- Plus cost have to always be balanced with reliability. You
    might “save” a few dollars not replacing aging
    equipment (transformers, pumping stations, etc.) in the
    short term, but in the long run that has proven to be be
    expensive and disruptive for consumers.

23. George S. Harris said on 25 Mar 2010 at 7:15 am:

You can have all the services you demand
    And taxes,
    You can have no services or fewer services
    And lower taxes,
    But can’t have all the services you demand
    And lower taxes.
    There is no free lunch.

24. Anonymous said on 28 Mar 2010 at 1:30 am:

Yesterday was the first time I had seen the Prince William County Sheriff’s Office 2009 annual report. In the report are pictures of our sheriff panhandling with a sand bucket begging for money. In another there is a picture of sheriff’s office employees on the beach going to take a “polar plunge”. The reasons they are standing on a corner panhandling and taking a polar plunge maybe worthy personal causes, but I would rather see our sheriff focused on how he is going to cut the 2.6 million dollars he increased his budget by in only 5 years and the deputies focused on cleaning up problems in our neighborhoods like drug dealers and gang members. It takes everyone working together to get rid of the problems in our community.

25. MPCInsider said on 2 Apr 2010 at 7:43 am:

Manassas Park Directors refused to take a pay cut and threw the worker bees under the bus. Now that the School board has set its budget based on the 1.65 tax rate the city will raise taxes again by as mush as .10 to .20. This mean more tax burden on the residents. Also has anyone looked at the MP mission statement what a joke. Also the mayor’s prize project the City Center is a big bust with the developer laughing in face of MP residents. It must be said that MP is on a self destruction course which the will be de-Incorporated within 5 year at the present rate.

26. Frau D said on 2 Apr 2010 at 1:09 pm:

I am in total agreement of most of what has been said. I have lived in MP for most of my life. I was attending PWC schools when MP decided to become a city. I cannot even begin to relate to you what the children of MP have been robbed of, educationally.

For years MP has tried, very unsuccessfully, to compete with both PWC and Manassas. Building “state-of-the-art” whatevers at every turn, with no thought to the future, or how anything was going to be paid for.

And now, with the overtaxing of the residents to the point that annarchy is being bantered about on local paper websites by MP residents who are fed up and want MP to return to town staus.

I think our new Governor and State’s Attorney would be a good place to start, if our local elected officials refuse to hear the pleas of their taxpayers.

27. MPCINSIDER said on 5 Apr 2010 at 6:01 am:

Frau D and Everyone else,

I hope more and more MP citizens start confronting City hall and paint the higher ups into a corner. I have roamed the hallways of city hall every time I pay my bills and I know when they meet and what they talk about in those meetings. I am the voice of those who are afraid of speaking out. MP is try ing to silence others and me by threatening the worker bees with being fired from their job.

I want complete opening of the books, but that won’t happen. We need to get our people on the council and stop the over taxing of the citizens. I want the current city council replaced with our guys. Let’s take back the city from the over taxing Higher up and FIRE the DIRECTORS who DID NOT TAKE A PAY CUT TO SAVE THEIR STAFF. They threw the worker bees under the bus.

This Saturday the Republican of MP is going to vote for candidates for city council. I encourage everyone to challenge them to cut taxes. If they do then we vote in more the next time.
    It is time to get rid of these people. So everyone confront the Directors and ask them “why did you not take a pay cut”. Also when MP has a open hearing confront the council member and tell them you want the city back from them.

28. MPCINSIDER said on 5 Apr 2010 at 6:11 am:

Now I know the taxes are going up. They want a new city Hall. It will never happen.

29. MPCINSIDER said on 12 Apr 2010 at 9:03 am:

April 20 at 7 p.m.: Manassas Park will hold a town hall meeting in the Council Chambers on storm water utility proposed fees.

Don’t you all know that every fee they add is a tax to the residents? MP is losing money, water and parts. And they want the citizens to pay for their incompetents.

How is it that a Treasurer and appointed city council member able to acquire those job. For the treasurer the fix was in since her husband is the fire chief. Also the new city council member that fix was in since he has served before. See if you are not part of the CLUB then you can’t join. They are trying to keeps us down and trying to rub me out. I will not be silence at all.

30. Frau D said on 14 Apr 2010 at 8:02 am:

After reading the proposal labeled “City Center Phase II” on the City’s website, I e-mailed Mayor Jones and all of the City Councilmembers, asking them if it was true that they plan to build it. In all of the replies I received, only Mayor Jones stated that “No, not at this time, and not using funds from the residents” (ie. taxes) to build it. They are hoping to make a deal with the builder (sound familiar?) to have the new City Hall built for free on the site of the existing PWC Central Library (if it is relocated by PWC). Treuting & Polk both replied to me that they were indeed moving forward with this project. I forwarded their replies to the Mayor, as he had requested.

31. mpcinsider said on 14 Apr 2010 at 8:12 am:

Yep they Higher ups are trying to get something for nothing and throw the residents under the bus.

I am in a fight with them but they can’t handle the trurth.

I will not be silence and I will not go away. Beware of Fees that are the new MP taxes.

32. mpcinsider said on 20 Apr 2010 at 6:15 am:

I will be attending the MP town hall meeting and I encourage my fellow poster to attend. This meeting is just a front for the fee they have already in mind which will be set between $10 and $20. Also I want people to engage the council members on the new tax rate that will be put in place soon which is rising by $.20. So I am inviting everyone to speak their minds and clear the air.

33. Jay said on 7 May 2010 at 11:58 am:

Any news on the new property tax rate for FY 2010-2011. It says on the website that the hearing was this past Tuesday, but no info on the new rate has been posted. Last year’s was $1.65 …

34. mpcinsider said on 10 May 2010 at 6:02 am:

They held their line on $1.65, but are hoping that the tax revenue keeps rolling in. I was at the public hearing on the tax increase, and heard a person say that the taxes may jump to $1.708, but they miss read the information that was sent out. I got to say enough people pressed the higher ups at MP to hold the tax rate. So I must give congrats to MP for being the only juristriction to hold the line on tax increase.

One major concern is how many foreclosures are going to happen this year. I have seen more houses abandon and if your check RealtyTrac and type 20111 you can see all the foreclosures and banked own propertys in MP.