Tax Day Tea Party in PWC

By Greg L | 6 April 2010 | National Politics, Prince William County | 16 Comments

The TEA Party returns to Prince William County this April 15th with what promises to be another stellar event.  You can come by the McCoart Center on the 15th between noon and two PM to see a wide array of speakers tackle the reckless behavior of Congress and this Administration, and then pick up with the Sovereignty March that will deliver petitions to Washington DC later that day. Last year’s event was tremendous despite some rain, and this year’s event promises to be even larger and more interesting.

Tax Day TEA Party rally 4/15/2009

This is from the press release for this year’s event:

Thousands of American citizens throughout our Country are frustrated with the fiscal irresponsibility exercised by Congress. On Thursday, April 15th members of Prince William County Tea Party Patriots are poised to descend on the McCoart Administration Center from 12 noon to 2:00p.m. They are gathering to voice their indignation and frustration at Congress and the Administration. Ordinary people will engage in a peaceful demonstration calling for a stop to the pilfering of their wealth and efforts to undermine the foundations of our republic. We will put Congress on notice, that they have misled the American people and betrayed the principles this country was founded upon.

Speakers and their participating organizations include: Ben Marchi, Americans for Prosperity, Ted Kirkpatrick, Campaign for Liberty, Dan Tripp, Americans for Limited Government, John Hanson, Repeal the Income Tax and a representative from the VA Attorney General’s Office. The Honorable Jay O’Brien is moderating. Citizens will also be given time to offer comments.

The VA Chapter of the Constitutional Sovereignty Alliance is organizing and hosting the Virginia Sovereignty March on April 15th and will be joining the Prince William County Tea Party Patriots at the McCoart Building. The purpose of the march is for the people of Virginia to deliver a letter from the Virginia Legislature to the Congress and the President, before joining the DC Tea Party in the evening.

The demonstration at the McCoart Building is just one of dozens such Taxed Enough Already (TEA) parties being held in Virginia. Organized independently by citizen activists they simply cannot afford to remain silent.

As an added bonus, the “coffee party” apologists for the Obama Administration may show up to counter-protest, as they have alongside MoveOn.org at TEA Party rallies elsewhere in the country.  Last time they tried this, out in front of Heritage Hunt when Gerry Connolly held a private “town hall meeting” there, there were a whopping two — count ‘em — two counter protesters demanding the government take over the health care industry.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this time they round up a somewhat larger crowd of advocates for bigger government, higher taxes and larger government debt who should be a real hoot to watch.

Just remember when you’re there that the left has an agenda in being there, and may try to entice you into furthering it.

1. Al said on 7 Apr 2010 at 8:31 am:

I’ll be there. Greg was kind enough to bring it to my attention.

I’m a member of the Coffee Party. Well, for full disclosure, I’m a National Spokesperson for the Coffee Party. I won’t be protesting, I’ll be attending to see if I also want to join the Tea Party Patriots. To the best of my knowledge, there’s no rule that says I can’t be both. I’m a Fiscal Conservative who is looking for a way to restrain the size of Government and push delivery of services to the lowest level possible to reduce the size, scale and cost of the Federal Government). I’m a big fan of the 10th Amendment. It might surprise you to learn that I am not the only Conservative in the coffee party. Actually, by comparison, I’m not the “most” Conservative Conservative in the Coffee Party. I’ll be posting on a new website dedicated to Conservatives starting on 15 April:

If anyone is interested in why I joined the Coffee Party, feel free to watch this video (that’s me in the video - it was filmed as an interview with a Conservative before the coffee party was really formed):

If you wonder why I am coming to a Tea Party, it’s because I had the pleasure of doing an interview on CBS with Mark Meckler and Jenny Beth Martin, the founders of the Tea Party Patriots. They struck me as reasonable people who want the same things I do. I really enjoyed chatting with them. They also assured me that my reasons for joining the Tea Party (the reputation the Media created for the group) were not representative. If you are interested, here’s my interview:

I won’t be protesting or carrying any signs. I will be listening because after spending time with Mark and Jenny Beth in the Green Room and on the air, I believe we share some values. They assured me that the Tea Party Patriots (that’s why I’m very specific about my “flavor” of Tea Party) is an inclusive group.

So… I’ll be in the crowd… but not demonstrating. I might be wearing a Coffee Party button just as a Conversation starter. I don’t expect any Coffee Party demonstrators because we generally just don’t do that; however, if anyone shows up I’ll say “hi”. What we do like to do is talk… and listen. We really appreciate different points of view.

2. George S. Harris said on 7 Apr 2010 at 11:53 am:

As a Coffee Party member I just to get some facts straight–

I must start off by saying that the Coffee Party is not and never has been an, “apologist for the Obama administration.”

The Coffee Party does not and has not participated in any protests with or without MoveOn.org. I wouldn’t be surprised if some individual members might showup just to watch the TEA Party circus.

The Coffee Party didn’t even exist when the Heritage Hunt/Gerry Connolly “town hall meeting” took place.

We won’t be rounding up a large crowd of advocates for, “bigger government, higher taxes and larger government debt”–that’s not our style.

And is Greg trying to say the TEA Party and any others associated with or allied with or alongside it don’t have an “agenda? Then why are they showing up?

I would say folks need to take Greg’s posting with a VERY LARGE grain of salt since it is very apparent that he has done very little fact checking about the Coffee Party. Don’t let him “entice you into furthering” his cause with his false information.

3. Greg L said on 7 Apr 2010 at 12:51 pm:

The Washington Post would disagree with you.

“The parties continue to post videos and recruit fans of all ideological stripes. On Sunday, a handful of San Antonio Coffee Partiers joined a small MoveOn.org rally to counter a Tea Party event. Coffee meet-ups are planned for this weekend in the District and Herndon, and there’s talk of a conference or march in the summer. On Saturday, there will be 50 Tea Party rallies around the country to mark the first anniversary of the movement, and hundreds more are planned for tax day on April 15.” — “Coffee Party activists say their civic brew’s a tastier choice that Tea Party’s”, Washington Post, February 26 (link)

Goodness, my “very little fact checking” happens to come from the darling mainstream media outlet that Eric and Annabel hold in such high regard. As for the counter-protesters at Heritage Hunt, I have footage. Yes, there wasn’t an official “coffee party” at that time, but the people remain the same.

I’d venture that as a self-appointed spokesperson of the Coffee party, Mr. Harris, perhaps the fact checking should be done by your organization and Organizing For America, which are indistinguishable from each other.

4. DPortM said on 8 Apr 2010 at 5:25 am:

Al,

You might want to read this link to find out the background of the Coffee Party…

5. Oh No! said on 8 Apr 2010 at 3:01 pm:

Anabel Park is a marxist.

6. Casanova Frankenstein said on 8 Apr 2010 at 3:36 pm:

“Anabel Park is a marxist.”

Elton John is gay?!?!?!?!

7. NoCoffeeForMe said on 10 Apr 2010 at 5:58 pm:

You can be sure the nice folks at moonhowlings won’t be there but then will be certain to write a piece claiming that all the people at the Tea Party were a mob of angry folks. Moonhowlings does no fact checking, and just says anything they want about the Tea Party and their clueless followers just eat it up.

8. Al said on 11 Apr 2010 at 5:04 pm:

I will see you all Thursday. I’m just guessing that I’ll be the only guy there with both a Coffee Party button and a Tea Party button (if it gets here by then). I really don’t like other people telling me what to think or do so I’ll come with an open mind. I’m staying off all blogs until after the Tea Party Patriots event.

9. babe said on 11 Apr 2010 at 9:49 pm:

Nobody believes the Coffee Party is anything but another George Soros front group of wannabe Obamites. More union thugs and SEIU creepers. Wake up and smell the coffee!

10. citizenofmanassas said on 12 Apr 2010 at 8:59 pm:

I’ll be there.

11. Al said on 14 Apr 2010 at 6:59 am:

Bill Golden, the administrotor of http://jeffersonconservative.com/. Shared some excellent Intel about groups planning to disrupt tomorrow’s Tea Party events. I suggest you check out his comment and my response.

Bill and I are both members of the Coffee Party and the Tea Party. I’ll be at tomorrow’s rally. Bill would join me; however, he’s out of town on business (Hawaii!).

I always liked George Allen and look forward to hearing him speak tomorrow.

12. citizenofmanassas said on 14 Apr 2010 at 8:59 pm:

Al,

Typical libs who do not believe in the freedom of speech, unless of course it’s to spew hated toward President Bush, or other non lefties.

This is what that party is rooted in, they can’t stand the fact everyone does not believe as they do, and they must stop at all costs anybody who dare not think as they do.

Of course they friends in the media will go along with their attempts to discredit the people who show up at the protest.

13. Al said on 15 Apr 2010 at 7:52 am:

citizenofmanassas, I keep thinking that it would be a “game changer” if “some of us” and “some of them” (and I am some of both, an Independent voter who leans Conservative) could find just one issue upon which we agree and work together to fix it. It’s no secret that I’m an “old soldier”. In war, we drop the labels and climb into the foxhole together until it’s over. How do we apply that thinking to politics?

Elected officials could no longer play one group against the other and we could really make Government smaller, smarter, cheaper, and more responsive. We could really take back our Government.

I don’t really know if this is possible; however, I’d like to find a few people willing to try (I already found one other. We are looking for a few more).

See you this afternoon.

14. Greg L said on 15 Apr 2010 at 8:23 am:

In the age of Obama, where backroom deals and things like the “Louisiana Purchase” are done to ram through legislation the American people don’t want, I’m not particularly interested in trying to find common ground with liberals. I’m more interested in defeating them at election time and defeating their legislative proposals. When the left seized power at the federal level, they never reached out to find “common ground”, they applied Saul Alinsky’s “rules for radicals” and went to war (in a political sense) against the American people.

Meeting socialists half way, which has been the modus operandi of the Republican Party for the past decade or so, has only slowed the transformation of America into a European-style socialist democracy somewhat, not halted it. I’m not interested in negotiating how much wealth redistribution we should have, we should have none. I’m not interested in negotiating how many illegal aliens to grant amnesty to and what minor hurdles they’ll have to leap in order to get it, I want illegal aliens deported and our borders secured.

I’ll welcome anyone who wants a strong national defense, smaller and less intrusive government, the rule of law, and capitalism as the best means to extend the American dream to everyone. I’ll seek no “common ground” with anyone, regardless of the party they say they belong to, if their principles depart from this simple list.

15. citizenofmanassas said on 15 Apr 2010 at 8:21 pm:

Al,

I’m sorry, but the libs have ruined any chance at bi-partisanship. That’s not to say those on the right have not done their own damage. However, when groups on the left are openly stating they want to smear and stop anybody on right from protesting, all bets are off.

The left have been taken over by wing nuts, who only believe in the right of free speech when they are talking, anyone else can forget about it. It’s why they see no problems going to Cuba and praising Castro, but have a real big issue saying anything nice about America.

They find it so much easier bashing America, than the worse Countries and leaders in the World. Why is that?

16. Real Conservatives needed said on 19 Apr 2010 at 4:14 pm:

The Tea Party was awesome! Now it’s time to move forward with fixing our country.

Here is a poll that is still going on for the 11th Congressional District: